Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A tale of our two leading political parties – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,727
edited October 2023 in General
A tale of our two leading political parties – politicalbetting.com

One photo is from Labour Party conference today. The other from Tory conference last week. Compare and contrast….. pic.twitter.com/Dq4FpTBp0n

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,817
    First?
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,867
    I mean, Starmer has promised not to change too much and to support business - so business is happy to work with them and go along. Sunak is less "fuck business" and more "fuck if I know business"...
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,103

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    11m
    Proper rhetoric from Reeves. Well written, well delivered. More or less content-free

The last line really made me laugh .
  • Options
    TheKitchenCabinetTheKitchenCabinet Posts: 2,275
    edited October 2023
    Second (or maybe not).

Wondering whether the Corbynites still left in Labour might sense an opportunity here to go full public with what is happening in the Middle East - not only do you sprout what you believe in and will have more of an audience than you usually do but, by doing so, you undermine SKS - whose position is rooted in the belief he can deliver a majority but is not loved - by hurting Labour.

• Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    edited October 2023

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    11m
    Proper rhetoric from Reeves. Well written, well delivered. More or less content-free

Exactly what Labour are going for. Goal is to win and have no policies so that they can never be told that they didn't deliver what they said.

I didn't watch the speech. Just happened to walk past at one point and heard her talk about more jobs, more electricians, more plumbers etc. No mention of how.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,603
    Israel Orders ‘Complete Siege’ of Gaza as Troops Battle to Secure Border

NY Times

So much misery and no sign of any hope of a solution.
  • Options

Second (or maybe not).

Wondering whether the Corbynites still left in Labour might sense an opportunity here to go full public with what is happening in the Middle East - not only do you sprout what you believe in and will have more of an audience than you usually do but, by doing so, you undermine SKS - whose position is rooted in the belief he can deliver a majority but is not loved - by hurting Labour.

The thing is that most people still in the Labour party who you would call Corbynites do not want to hurt the Labour party, because they still see it as the best vehicle for positive change and see the Tories as such a problem. This is part of why I think Starmer's shift rightward is more real than strategic - he knows the left do not have anywhere else to go, he also knows that many of Corbyn's more moderate policies (such as renationalisation) have broad support from across the political spectrum. He isn't doing those things because he doesn't believe in them.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,184
    edited October 2023

nico679 said:

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    11m

It's waspish, but inaccurate

• GB Energy
    • National Wealth Fund
    • CoL pegged minimum wage

Three big policy pledges.
    Actually better than I expected.

I see the PB Tories on the last thread were laying into her for something she didn't say.

Also a few smaller, not terrible gimmicks - eg increasing stamp duty for foreigners buying homes in UK.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,928
    CatMan said:

First?

You the man!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,144
    AlistairM said:

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    11m

Exactly what Labour are going for. Goal is to win and have no policies so that they can never be told that they didn't deliver what they said.

I didn't watch the speech. Just happened to walk past at one point and heard her talk about more jobs, more electricians, more plumbers etc. On mention of how.
    Immigration? Back to Polish plumbers?
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,547
    A bit naughty from Sopel. You can take any photo you want at any time from party conference, and it will show varying levels of attendance in the hall.

Though it is of course indisputable that Labour are the party on top at the moment.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,264
    Nigelb said:

nico679 said:

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    11m

• GB Energy
    • National Wealth Fund

Actually better than I expected.

I see the PB Tories on the last thread were laying into her for something she didn't say.
    Indeed.

She was good. Serious. Resolute.

She's auditioning for the role of chancellor, not the presenter of Strictly.
  • Options

nico679 said:

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    11m

• GB Energy
    • National Wealth Fund

True a few policies there . Reeves isn’t the greatest speaker but the speech seemed to go down well in the hall.
  • Options
    On topic, this is potentially rather misleading from Jon Sopel. Attendance at speeches in the hall always varies quite a bit depending on speaker, time of day, and what's going on in terms of fringe events.

It may very well be that the Labour conference is better attended and more upbeat, as you might expect with a big poll lead. But I'm not sure these photos necessarily demonstrate that.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited October 2023

On topic, this is potentially rather misleading from Jon Sopel. Attendance at speeches in the hall always varies quite a bit depending on speaker, time of day, and what's going on in terms of fringe events.

It may very well be that the Labour conference is better attended and more upbeat, as you might expect with a big poll lead. But I'm not sure these photos necessarily demonstrate that.

Jon Sopel struggles to keep any sort of balance these days e.g. see his reaction to Huw Edwards story. He has gone rather Jonathan Pie in many of his takes.

I mean I can understand many of his frustrations with the current sack of shit (and obviously he hates Brexit), but he certainly allows it to cloud his judgment.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,928
    148grss said:

Second (or maybe not).

The thing is that most people still in the Labour party who you would call Corbynites do not want to hurt the Labour party, because they still see it as the best vehicle for positive change and see the Tories as such a problem. This is part of why I think Starmer's shift rightward is more real than strategic - he knows the left do not have anywhere else to go, he also knows that many of Corbyn's more moderate policies (such as renationalisation) have broad support from across the political spectrum. He isn't doing those things because he doesn't believe in them.
    Last sentence, do you mean:

He is not going to do those things because he doesn't believe in them. or...
    He reason he is going to do those things is not because he doesn't believe in them.?
  • Options

Jon Sopel struggles to keep any sort of balance these days e.g. see his reaction to Huw Edwards story. He has gone rather Jonathan Pie.
    It is a good rule of thumb that anyone who was North America editor for the BBC is a poor journalist.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,413

Jon Sopel struggles to keep any sort of balance these days e.g. see his reaction to Huw Edwards story. He has gone rather Jonathan Pie in many of his takes.

I mean I can understand many of his frustrations with the current sack of shit (and obviously he hates Brexit), but he certainly allows it to cloud his judgment.
    He is part of a centrist Dad podcast with the Emily Maitlis who is definitely on the same journey as he is, and Lewis Goodall. There must be money to be made in these Podcasts. They are springing up everywhere.

Problem with it, and other podcasts, as was said online last week it is largely people talking to each other who agree with each other or disagree at the margins.
  • Options

148grss said:

Second (or maybe not).

Last sentence, do you mean:

He is not going to do those things because he doesn't believe in them. or...
    He reason he is going to do those things is not because he doesn't believe in them.?
    He does not believe in left wing policies, and therefore will not enact them. Many people are trying to delude themselves that SKS will allow Labour to be more progressive once in power. I believe the exact opposite is more likely.

It was a biographer of LBJ who said "power doesn't corrupt, it reveals". We've seen what has happened to the Labour party with SKS having power over it - why would he be any different when PM?
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Taz said:

He is part of a centrist Dad podcast with the Emily Maitlis who is definitely on the same journey as he is, and Lewis Goodall. There must be money to be made in these Podcasts. They are springing up everywhere.

Problem with it, and other podcasts, as was said online last week it is largely people talking to each other who agree with each other or disagree at the margins.
    It just the same traditional media bubble just shifted to podcast form and free to say what they really think (which we already could guess).

Their YouTube version of the podcast does very poorly, I presume the audio version must be doing ok. Although its Global who have pumped a load of money into starting these, so its difficult to tell how well they do business wise.

Spotify have taken a massive haircut over a similar strategy.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,520
    Taz said:

But that's ok if your audience also agrees with you and is happy to pay for it. Bit like the way the print media is going. Guardian readers wallowing in the awfulness of the right, Torygraph readers wallowing in the evils of woke, and never the twain shall meet in the middle.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,188
    Nigelb said:

Jon Sopel struggles to keep any sort of balance these days e.g. see his reaction to Huw Edwards story. He has gone rather Jonathan Pie.
    It is a good rule of thumb that anyone who was North America editor for the BBC is a poor journalist.
    Quick check: wasn't Matt Frei one once? I seem to remember thinking he was good.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,730
    I am forced to note, with regret, that several of you have already broken the Law of Leon, and said things I disagree with

Given that it is early days for this new dispensation, I am prepared to be magnanimous, and ignore these tomfool remarks, or forgive them as childish errors

This lenience, however, is strictly time-limited
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,039

Yeah, I agree. I'm sure there will instances of half-empty rooms at any party conference. I'm not sure the underlying sentiment is necessarily right either, unless that Tory image is the meeting of 'Sensible Level-Headed Conservatives Who Want The Best For The country'

Struck me rather as weirdo populist alternate-dimension jamboree.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Nigelb said:

Quick check: wasn't Matt Frei one once? I seem to remember thinking he was good.
    Rule of thumb, not law.
    Justin Webb...
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    We were talking about Rhod Sharp last night, and how he used to do "Up All Night" on R5. The beauty of that show was he contained loads of interesting stories that you just didn't hear anywhere else which because of the time slot were given time to breath.

Tim Vickery coming on to talk about South American football in depth every Friday night was revolutionary at the time before we had the likes of the Athletic.
  • Options

Potentially but probably not actually misleading. Last week Tories were contrasting the empty main conference hall with packed fringe events like Liz Truss.
  • Options

Taz said:

It just the same traditional media bubble just shifted to podcast form and free to say what they really think (which we already could guess).

Their YouTube version of the podcast does very poorly, I presume the audio version must be doing ok. Although its Global who have pumped a load of money into starting these, so its difficult to tell how well they do business wise.

I'd rather have their trite, lukewarm, Remoaner drivellings piped at me via a podcast I can ignore, as against being forced to pay for the same nonsense via the BBC

And if they make their podcast work, good for them. That's capitalism
  • Options
    The fact that Israel has the ability to cut off power , water and food supplies to Gaza highlights one of the issues that have bred hatred .

Hamas lives off the hatred . Children are brought up with the hatred and it’s just a repeating cycle.

There are still those on both sides who wanted a peaceful resolution , sadly that’s been consigned to the bin for yet more years .

Israel can raze Gaza to the ground but the hatred will remain .

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Leon said:

Taz said:

I'd rather have their trite, lukewarm, Remoaner drivellings piped at me via a podcast I can ignore, as against being forced to pay for the same nonsense via the BBC

And if they make their podcast work, good for them. That's capitalism
    Given they were hired on higher salaries than their already large BBC pay packets, will be interesting to see if it does make money. As I say, Spotify tried this and have had to admit it isn't working from a business point of view.
  • Options

Taz said:

There has to be a point at which they will expect these podcasts to make money, either through a subscription model or advertising. However the moment they go for either I think they lost a fair chunk of their audience to other similar services.

Advertising revenue sharing on Youtube is an option but, as you say, their hit rate is dire so they won't yield a great deal.

GB News was hoping to be able to monetise Youtube but their hitrate, same with Times Radio, also seems to be quite poor too.
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 951

nico679 said:

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    11m

• GB Energy
    • National Wealth Fund

All three rather dubious on closer inspection.

GB energy seems to be the creation of a quango to do...err, exactly what the electricity sector is doing anyway.

National Wealth Fund appears to be the government investing in bits of the private sector that it thinks are undervalued. Picking winners I think it was called last time. Somehow I can't see it working out any better this time round either.

CoL pegged minimum wage if it has any effect at-all is the government spending other people's money. Minimum wages do one of two things - either nothing (the situation at the moment, where virtually anyone with a pulse can find a job that pays better), or they destroy the employment prospects of those who add marginal value. Pick your poison. If they wanted to make low earners better off, they should peg the income tax thresholds against inflation, rather than letting them function as massive stealth taxes.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Taz said:

Taz said:

There has to be a point at which they will expect these podcasts to make money, either through a subscription model or advertising. However the moment they go for either I think they lost a fair chunk of their audience to other similar services.

Advertising revenue sharing on Youtube is an option but, as you say, their hit rate is dire so they won't yield a great deal.

GB News was hoping to be able to monetise Youtube but their hitrate, same with Times Radio, also seems to be quite poor too.
    GB News have actually had 1 billion views on their YouTube channel ( compared to NewsAgents 3.5 million)....no idea what CPM is on these kind of 3 min snippets of news shows, but I would imagine very very low.
  • Options
    Good luck with this one (though even PB Tories ought to approve the aspiration).
    Reeves says Labour would cut government spending on consultants...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,251
    The prospect of power is clearly a great aphrodisiac, including for party conference attendees
  • Options

Taz said:

Taz said:

GB News have actually had 1 billion views on their YouTube channel ( compared to NewsAgents 3.5 million)....no idea what CRM is on these kind of 3 min snippets of news shows, but I would imagine very very low.
    I am amazed. I was looking at the individual videos rather than overall. That is quite impressive.

Twitter/X is now also offering revenue sharing so there is also a chance there too. But, you are probably right, the monetisation is tiny.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

The fact that Israel has the ability to cut off power , water and food supplies to Gaza highlights one of the issues that have bred hatred .

Hamas lives off the hatred . Children are brought up with the hatred and it’s just a repeating cycle.

There are still those on both sides who wanted a peaceful resolution , sadly that’s been consigned to the bin for yet more years .

But if the Israelis can somehow shift the Gazans into Egypt, then the hatred will be further away, and the chances of Hamas repeating their spectacular incursion will be greatly minimised

I do wonder if that is what the Israelis are planning. I don't see any other point in wading into Gaza at the cost of many thousands of lives, quite a few of them Israeli
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,251
    148grss said:

Second (or maybe not).

Under FPTP yes, beyond a few Corbynites now voting TUSC or Green or not voting.

However under PR most Corbynites would be voting for a party left of Starmer Labour
  • Options
    theProle said:

nico679 said:

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    11m

• GB Energy
    • National Wealth Fund

All three rather dubious on closer inspection.

GB energy seems to be the creation of a quango to do...err, exactly what the electricity sector is doing anyway...

As an alternative to nationalising the power companies, it is possibly not without merit.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Taz said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

GB News have actually had 1 billion views on their YouTube channel ( compared to NewsAgents 3.5 million)....no idea what CRM is on these kind of 3 min snippets of news shows, but I would imagine very very low.
    I am amazed. I was looking at the individual videos rather than overall. That is quite impressive.

Twitter/X is now also offering revenue sharing so there is also a chance there too. But, you are probably right, the monetisation is tiny.
    GB News are playing the game that other YouTubers who would "review" the news used to do (and I believe YouTube really clamped down on rewarding) which was basically content farming. You just put out 10s of videos every day each a few minutes long (rather than one longer form better constructed video), most flop terribly, but the odd one goes viral and gets millions of views and perhaps 1 of the 10 or 20 in a day does ok. Overall you get a very high total views count.
  • Options
    Leon said:

nico679 said:

But if the Israelis can somehow shift the Gazans into Egypt, then the hatred will be further away, and the chances of Hamas repeating their spectacular incursion will be greatly minimised

I do wonder if that is what the Israelis are planning. I don't see any other point in wading into Gaza at the cost of many thousands of lives, quite a few of them Israeli
    Will Egypt accept them ? The whole situation is just awful. There are no good outcomes here .
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,428
    Ref Mike's photo (from Jon Sopel) ... this is SO like 1997.

Everyone knows that Labour are the Government-in-Waiting
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,716

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    11m

Would the Tories have won in 2019 on a manifesto of (in recent times) record high taxation, record high debt, record levels of difficulty for first time buyers, mortgages through the roof, record waiting lists in NHS, low growth and a useless Brexit deal?

Labour are seeking election. The media, the opposition, and crucially the voters ('low tax and brilliant public services please') are not honest dealers. And of course no party can tell the voters they are dishonest, self interested rogues.

There are times when the Israel/Palestine events of right now would have scuppered Labour altogether. (Anyone recall Mr Corbyn?). There will be plenty more such elephant traps both planned and unplanned before the election.

Labour seem to have learned. Good.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Leon said:

I am forced to note, with regret, that several of you have already broken the Law of Leon, and said things I disagree with

Given that it is early days for this new dispensation, I am prepared to be magnanimous, and ignore these tomfool remarks, or forgive them as childish errors

So when is your first drink?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Good luck with this one (though even PB Tories ought to approve the aspiration).

I mean full time contracted civil servants are cheaper than consultants. I have a friend who is an ex full time civil servant currently doing consultancy in a role that should be a contracted staff position (and will be after Xmas). He said he is currently paid around 3 times the salary of that role if it were a proper contracted role (he doesn't get pension stuff, IIRC, and his deal was to start early and have a notice period of less than 2 weeks). It's this kind of spending that actually could save government some money because a) you're overpaying for staff and b) the talent go to a consultancy company and then work for the government anyway, when if you just treated them better you could probably pay them less than you pay a consultancy and get better results.
  • Options

Leon said:

There is only the next drink.
  • Options

Taz said:

Taz said:

GB News have actually had 1 billion views on their YouTube channel ( compared to NewsAgents 3.5 million)....no idea what CPM is on these kind of 3 min snippets of news shows, but I would imagine very very low.
    GB News is a full-blown channel with all the infrastructure that entails, and a primarily AV format - it also uses plenty of ragebait short-form stuff; essentially, it is built-for-platform as far as YT is concerned, though that brings with it significant overheads.

News Agents is primarily a podcast, which releases a single daily episode produced for audio. I'd imagine their YT is pretty much added bonus. Their overheads, less the salaries, will be minute - especially as it's owned by Global, whose studios and production they can access.

Their money will be made via sponsored reads and ads in the podcast. It is also a flagship podcast for Global, who like a lot of big media owners are playing catchup to Acast in this game.

But in short - I don't think a meaningful comparison can be drawn between News Agents and GB News based on their YT output and consumption.
  • Options
    There are broadly 4 possible outcomes to the Gaza crisis:

1. The status quo is maintained with a ceasefire or similar. It is hard to see this.

2. Gaza’s current “status” is maintained but with Israel driving Hamas from power - a possible outcome but what replaces Hamas? Not entirely convincing that Israel will take that option, if it just means the cycle begins anew.

3. Full occupation of Gaza with some form of Israeli-backed government. Does create the potential for a long and bloody occupation and guerilla warfare.

4. The ‘nuclear option’ of Gaza being largely depopulated and fully annexed.

None of these options are good ones. The fifth (negotiated peace and a lasting solution) sadly looks far too remote to even suggest.
  • Options
    148grss said:

Nigelb said:

I mean full time contracted civil servants are cheaper than consultants. I have a friend who is an ex full time civil servant currently doing consultancy in a role that should be a contracted staff position (and will be after Xmas). He said he is currently paid around 3 times the salary of that role if it were a proper contracted role (he doesn't get pension stuff, IIRC, and his deal was to start early and have a notice period of less than 2 weeks). It's this kind of spending that actually could save government some money because a) you're overpaying for staff and b) the talent go to a consultancy company and then work for the government anyway, when if you just treated them better you could probably pay them less than you pay a consultancy and get better results.
    Oh, it makes complete sense in principle.
    Actually delivering the policy will be hard.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

Will Egypt accept them ? The whole situation is just awful. There are no good outcomes here .
    Absolutely. No good outcomes

If Egypt seals the border (and they have tightened control this morning) then Israel will be left with a cornered population unable to go anywhere. What then?

I may be wrong and this isn't the Israeli plan, but then I am bewildered as to what Israel thinks it can achieve with ANOTHER invasion that does nothing but stir up evermore enmity. It simply ensures further attacks down the line

As I said last night, they might possibly be planning a renewed Occupation of Gaza, with Israel in control, and the reintroduction of Israeli settlers, who will act as a de facto spy network and military police, so October 7 is not repeated. But that's damnably tricky and could so easily go wrong

The final possibility is that Israel doesn't have a plan. It is acting in a spirit of pure revenge
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,144
    nico679 said:

If Gaza is razed to the ground it will make the overall situation worse. If that were possible.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,929
    Afternoon all :)

The key to events in Gaza is going to be Egypt and what they choose to do or not do.

I shouldn't think Sisi is keen on a bunch of hardline fundamentalist terrorists seeking refuge in his country especially after his "dealings" with the Muslim Brotherhood.

There will be huge international pressure, however, to allow women, children and the elderly to leave but what then? Who will help Egypt support this new round of refugees? The UN, Saudi Arabia, Dubai? Does Sisi seriously want Northern Sinai to become a giant refugee camp?

The alternative is to close the borders and be seen to be complicit in the eyes of many in the Arab world with Israeli actions.

It's not something about which Europe can afford to be sanguine - if Eriteans, Afghans and Chadeans can make it to Calis so can Gazans in time. A diaspora of tens if not hundreds of thousands on Europe's borders must be a concern to Europe which is already "struggling" with "hurricanes" of migration.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Ghedebrav said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

GB News is a full-blown channel with all the infrastructure that entails, and a primarily AV format - it also uses plenty of ragebait short-form stuff; essentially, it is built-for-platform as far as YT is concerned, though that brings with it significant overheads.

News Agents is primarily a podcast, which releases a single daily episode produced for audio. I'd imagine their YT is pretty much added bonus. Their overheads, less the salaries, will be minute - especially as it's owned by Global, whose studios and production they can access.

Their money will be made via sponsored reads and ads in the podcast. It is also a flagship podcast for Global, who like a lot of big media owners are playing catchup to Acast in this game.

But in short - I don't think a meaningful comparison can be drawn between News Agents and GB News based on their YT output and consumption.
    I wasn't making a meaningful comparison, I was pointing out that GB News actually does get significant views on YouTube, but as I stated below, that still probably doesn't make much money out of it. They are playing the rather outdate YouTube game of content farming.

Although it isn't the same, it is worth noting many "audio" podcasts that don't even do a daily episode do very well on YouTube, hence why basically everybody films their creations (including News Agents).

I would imagine Global will be very disappointed just how little traction they have got on YouTube, as at the very least its free advertising for people to listen to full show via audio on the go. 32k subs and most videos getting low k's is very poor for some thing with high profile people with big social media following.
  • Options
    148grss said:

Nigelb said:

Yebbut you don't get crow about cutting headcount in the CS this way.
  • Options

1. The status quo is maintained with a ceasefire or similar. It is hard to see this.

2. Gaza’s current “status” is maintained but with Israel driving Hamas from power - a possible outcome but what replaces Hamas? Not entirely convincing that Israel will take that option, if it just means the cycle begins anew.

3. Full occupation of Gaza with some form of Israeli-backed government. Does create the potential for a long and bloody occupation and guerilla warfare.

None of these options are good ones. The fifth (negotiated peace and a lasting solution) sadly looks far too remote to even suggest.

I agree with your analysis. I reckon, with some hesitation, it will be either 3 or 4, they are the only ones that give Israel the prize it wants: assurance that October 7 is not repeated

But Jeez they are bleak
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 845
    The Conservative conference was struck with COVID, that fate awaits the Labour one!!!!!
    All I am saying is there is always another potential side of the story, be objective Mike, every picture does not necessarily tell a tale. What time were they taken, who was doing what, probably a biased unfair comparison.
    In this instance I suspect they were at the meeting being addressed by Truss, far more interesting, as the media found it to be.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,241
    On Israel:

I really don't believe the anti-Semitism we see is a result of the existence of Israel. Zionism *may* be a compounding factor, but anti-Semitism has existed for Millenia, long before modern Israel.

If Jews were to leave Israel tomorrow and spread out to every other country in the world, the same people will find reasons to hate them. Again, as has happened for so many generations.

for this reason, I can understand why Jews feel they need a land in which they can feel safe.

I listened to a podcast the other week, which featured someone talking about his granddad, who had been in a concentration camp. His grandfather was lucky enough to be liberated, and had asked a Russian where he should go. "Don't go west," the Russian said, because there was fighting there. "Don't go east, either," he also said. Because they did not want them.

Hence, Israel.
  • Options
    For a measure of hardening Israeli attitudes, quasi-official Israeli TwitterX accounts are now making offhand remarks about dead Gazan civilians, ie - who gives a f*ck, let 'em die, kill them all, etc

Both sides want all out war, with no quarter given. So I guess that is what will happen
  • Options
    This seems like a very reasonable take that is surprisingly front and centre in Politico today:

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/10/09/israel-hamas-war-american-left-matt-duss-00120536
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Leon said:

I agree with your analysis. I reckon, with some hesitation, it will be either 3 or 4, they are the only ones that give Israel the prize it wants: assurance that October 7 is not repeated

But Jeez they are bleak
    Or, the Saudis could be prevailed upon to spend a fraction of a percent they are spending on one of their stupid engineering vanity projects on resettling all the Gazans into one of the massive empty spaces in their enormous, mostly unpopulated country. Which is where they most likely came from in the first place, albeit probably more than a thousand years ago, now.

The fact that this isn't even - and shouldn't be - on the list of possible outcomes speaks volumes.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,624
    Leon said:

For a measure of hardening Israeli attitudes, quasi-official Israeli TwitterX accounts are now making offhand remarks about dead Gazan civilians, ie - who gives a f*ck, let 'em die, kill them all, etc

Both sides want all out war, with no quarter given. So I guess that is what will happen

This is where quiet, behind the scenes, diplomacy could make a huge difference and potentially save tens of thousands of lives.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,820
    148grss said:

HYUFD said:

148grss said:

Second (or maybe not).

Under FPTP yes, beyond a few Corbynites now voting TUSC or Green or not voting.

However under PR most Corbynites would be voting for a party left of Starmer Labour
    Yes. Which is one of the reasons I think we should have PR - people would be happier with their choices and feel they had actually made a choice rather than voted for lesser of two evils nonsense. And also the governing parties would have to compromise and do policies in the interests of both / all of their voter bases rather than just wait around until the country get sick of the current party in power without changing the fundamental issues people have a problem with.
    No, if we didn't have FPTP, how would parties who have screwed up everything be able to point to the only other option that the system allows in practice and shout "But they'd be even worse!"?

I mean, we'd have genuine competition in the political sphere, and a real risk to the Big Two that they wouldn't automatically be either in power or the only feasible alternative. And the ability to vote positively for who we want without having to agonise over who we 'might let in.' We can't possibly risk that.
  • Options

On Israel:

I really don't believe the anti-Semitism we see is a result of the existence of Israel. Zionism *may* be a compounding factor, but anti-Semitism has existed for Millenia, long before modern Israel.

If Jews were to leave Israel tomorrow and spread out to every other country in the world, the same people will find reasons to hate them. Again, as has happened for so many generations.

for this reason, I can understand why Jews feel they need a land in which they can feel safe.

I listened to a podcast the other week, which featured someone talking about his granddad, who had been in a concentration camp. His grandfather was lucky enough to be liberated, and had asked a Russian where he should go. "Don't go west," the Russian said, because there was fighting there. "Don't go east, either," he also said. Because they did not want them.

Hence, Israel.

One plausible theory is that anti-Semitism exists because Jews are smarter on average, and thus too successful in commerce etc. That certainly drove Hitler's anti-Semitism - Jews owned and controlled large chunks of the German economy. Jews are likewise massively successful in America and so on

However, this does not explain WHY Jews are smarter. And the best theory for that is that anti-Semitism over centuries has meant that only the brightest Jews survived and reproduced, driving up average Jewish IQ. But then that suggests that anti-Semitism preceded Jewish cleverness....

Confusing
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,929
    edited October 2023
    A quick recap on last evening's European elections - in Hesse, the CDU ended up four short of a majority and with the possibility of dumping the Greens as a coalition partner for the FDP which clung on to 8 seats.

AfD will lead the opposition with 28 seats with the SPD down six to 23 and the Greens down seven to 22.

In Bavaria, the CSU held its 85 seats which is still historically a poor result for what was once a party which enjoyed a clear Landtag majority. The Free Voters gained ten seats to 37 and AfD will form the opposition gaining ten themselves to 32. The Greens were down six to 32 and the SDP down five to just 17 but the big losers were the FDP who lost 11 seats polling just 3%.

In Luxembourg, Xavier Bettel's Government lost its majority in the Chamber of Deputies ending with 29 out of a possible 60 seats. The Greens lost five seats while the Democratic Party gained one and the Social Democrats gained two. The leading Christian Social Party comfortably topped the poll with 29% of the poll and 21 seats.

The Pirates won 3 seats and the Left two seats.
  • Options
    The BBC has learnt from an official UK source that "more than 10" British citizens are feared dead or missing in Israel following the attacks launched by Hamas from Gaza.
  • Options
    Leon said:

But Jeez they are bleak
    I suspect you are sadly correct. The thing that may prevent 4 is that the sheer international condemnation that will attract, and the risk this escalates the war to other Arab nations. But 3 has all the hallmarks of the worst decades of The Troubles, but even worse. Depressing.
  • Options

On Israel:

Hence, Israel.

It would have been a lot fairer to have appropriated a chunk of post-war Germany for a Jewish homeland.
  • Options

Leon said:

This is where quiet, behind the scenes, diplomacy could make a huge difference and potentially save tens of thousands of lives.
    Sadly, I don't believe that's true. Both sides are absolutely intent on a war to the end. See the Hamas remarks in August - "all out war is coming". See the Israeli defence minister today "we are dealing with human animals and will treat them as such"

This is the language of total war, neither side will step back. The Gazans think they have nothing to lose if they fight, Israel thinks it has everything to lose if it does not fight
  • Options
    theakes said:

The Conservative conference was struck with COVID, that fate awaits the Labour one!!!!!
    All I am saying is there is always another potential side of the story, be objective Mike, every picture does not necessarily tell a tale. What time were they taken, who was doing what, probably a biased unfair comparison.
    In this instance I suspect they were at the meeting being addressed by Truss, far more interesting, as the media found it to be.

What is objective about party conferences ?
    They are the story that parties tell to the world.

The header is a fair representation of how successful those narratives have been, so far.
  • Options

On Israel:

Hence, Israel.

I posted this in the previous thread, but I'll share it again here:

I found this an interesting interview when it was released a few weeks ago, that has more poignancy now:

https://podtail.com/podcast/it-could-happen-here/the-weaponizing-of-anti-semitism-with-adam-broombe/

Adam Broomberg is a Jewish anti-Zionist activist who grew up in South Africa under the apartheid regime. His grandparents entered South Africa after fleeing Europe and became "accepted" in white society. He was educated in a Jewish Zionist school system, and has family members who live in Israel. He discusses his journey to anti-Zionism, his relation to activism, and how he has been called an anti-Semite by many Jewish and non-Jewish people. It was an interesting listen in late September when it released, and I think is an interesting perspective given the international situation now.

I would also add that many Jewish people are not Zionists, and conflating Israel and Jewish people is and of itself an anti Semitic trope. I completely agree with you that in a world without Israel anti Semitism would not go away, it is something I think many countries in the world have not properly grappled with. One of the criticisms of Zionism from some within the Jewish community is how it has been used by countries as a get out clause for their anti Semitism - to a) tell all their Jewish population to leave and go be good Israelis and b) to then hide their anti Semitism behind their support for Israel.

To quote myself again from the previous thread:

Over the last few years I have been listening to Daniel Khan - a Jewish folk / punk singer. One of the songs he sings, which is a translation of "Oh you foolish little zionists" (1931), has the stanza:

You want to take us to Jerusalem
    So we can die as a nation
    We'd rather stay in the Diaspora
    And fight for our liberation
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,977
    theakes said:

Conference here feels pretty busy everywhere, but also probably quite Covid-safe at least until later night partying starts (though I must say most delegates here don’t look partying types). Lots of outdoor space looking out over the Mersey.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,005
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

There is only the next drink.
    This is always my reply to the question, "how long have you been drinking?"
    "Hmm... about since I was fifteen?"
  • Options
    Mark Carney, the former governor of the Bank of England, has formally endorsed Rachel Reeves to be the next chancellor.

In a video message played immediately after Ms Reeves’ speech in Liverpool this afternoon, Mr Carney said: “Rachel Reeves is a serious economist. She began her career at the Bank of England, so she understands the big picture.

“But, crucially she also understands the economics of work, of place and of family. It is beyond time to put her ideas and energy into action.”
  • Options
    edited October 2023

On Israel:

Hence, Israel.

It would have been a lot fairer to have appropriated a chunk of post-war Germany for a Jewish homeland.
    I don't know about fair, but the idea of a "Nakam" for the holocaust was attempted by some European Jewish survivors aimed at killing six million Germans in an "eye for an eye" form of justice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakam

Again, the German based folk / punk klezmer band Daniel Khan & the Painted Birds wrote a song about it. It, somewhat sadly, ends on these words:

They put aside their rage and hate
    And worked to build a Jewish state
    With Jewish towns and Jewish farms
    Jewish guns and nuclear arms

Now can vengeance put upon the shelf
    Be taken out later on someone else?
    Be careful how you read this tale
    Lest your own prejudice prevail

Look around the world today
    And consider the role that vengeance plays
    For History has its unpaid debts
    And is it better if we forget?

Six million Germans
    You might say it was absurd
    Six million Germans
    But what becomes of a dream deferred?
    Six million Germans
    How could they just start again?
    Six million Germans
    They wanted one thing, Nakam: Revenge
  • Options

Mark Carney, the former governor of the Bank of England, has formally endorsed Rachel Reeves to be the next chancellor.

In a video message played immediately after Ms Reeves’ speech in Liverpool this afternoon, Mr Carney said: “Rachel Reeves is a serious economist. She began her career at the Bank of England, so she understands the big picture.

“But, crucially she also understands the economics of work, of place and of family. It is beyond time to put her ideas and energy into action.”

If nothing else will convince you that Labour are going to do bugger all when in government...
  • Options
    Leon said:

But Jeez they are bleak
    Of these, I think 3 is probably the most likely in the medium term, though 1 is not as unlikely you might think. On two: it is hard to drive Hamas from power. They are a multinational criminal enterprise in a failed quasi-state - and, it seems, a tool for Iran's proxy warfare. And they have zero interest in 5 - their stated goal is annihilation of Israel, about which they have now left no doubt given their deliberate (rather than collateral) targeting of civilians. It is true terrorism, in the proper sense.

I've long deplored Israel's behaviour too, FWIW, in Gaza and in the West Bank - and in some respects what we're seeing now is a partial consequence of Bibi's hard line and his unsophisticated diplomacy.

I still have a forlorn, fool's hope for a lasting solution. But that cause has been set back dramatically.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,875
    HYUFD said:

The prospect of power is clearly a great aphrodisiac, including for party conference attendees

You know, my first adoption of the pro-rata username, back in the early 2000s, was for posting on Manchester Evening News football threads. I followed United more closely back then, went to a few games watched a bit more TV, but still not nearly as much as some, so I took the name to imply I was a bit of a part timer.

Anyway, it was of course the era when the Reds won at will, and City had racked up a couple of decades without a trophy. There was a well known and much used caricature of a City fan, Bertie Magoo Bitter Blue and the term Bitters was used for Blues fans.

I say all this because the edge on your comment gave me flashbacks to that era and I couldn't help but smile. Bitter blues indeed.

• Options
    PJHPJH Posts: 507
    Leon said:

But Jeez they are bleak
    I agree with that. But 4 is the only one that doesn't eventually lead us back to where we are now. 3 will result in years of Israel's security forces being sniped at, captured, and huge cost, without any real security, and eventually a more moderate government will pull out and we are back where we are now in due course.

4 solves this particular problem for ever. Different problems may arise but they will be physically further away. I think it is what I would do if I was a hard line Israeli if I could ignore the mass international opprobrium that would follow. And - no, I don't condone it.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370
    It’s amazing how far Sopel has fallen. As BBC Washington DC corespondent it felt like he cared about facts. By contrast, that tweet is all about making his own narrative.

It’s an obvious and artificial contrast, that someone was going to highlight, but I am disappointed that it was him. Fair enough for this website to repost it of course, as it has an agenda and is entitled to advance it.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

But Jeez they are bleak
    Of these, I think 3 is probably the most likely in the medium term, though 1 is not as unlikely you might think. On two: it is hard to drive Hamas from power. They are a multinational criminal enterprise in a failed quasi-state - and, it seems, a tool for Iran's proxy warfare. And they have zero interest in 5 - their stated goal is annihilation of Israel, about which they have now left no doubt given their deliberate (rather than collateral) targeting of civilians. It is true terrorism, in the proper sense.

I've long deplored Israel's behaviour too, FWIW, in Gaza and in the West Bank - and in some respects what we're seeing now is a partial consequence of Bibi's hard line and his unsophisticated diplomacy.

I still have a forlorn, fool's hope for a lasting solution. But that cause has been set back dramatically.
    1 is a ceasefire

It's nice to dream, but why on earth would Israel agree to a ceasefire now? Just after 700 Israelis have died in a day?

I repeat the context. Accounting for population, 700 dead Israelis would be the same as 5000 Britons killed in a single day (for comparison, the worst day of the Blitz killed about 1300). The equivalent in America would be 23,000 Americans killed in a single day - almost ten times the number that died in 9/11

So this is WORSE than 9/11. And there is no way America would have "declared a ceasefire" in the days after 9/11. America set itself to vengeance; Israel does the same
  • Options
    148grss said:

On Israel:

Hence, Israel.

I found this an interesting interview when it was released a few weeks ago, that has more poignancy now:

https://podtail.com/podcast/it-could-happen-here/the-weaponizing-of-anti-semitism-with-adam-broombe/

Adam Broomberg is a Jewish anti-Zionist activist who grew up in South Africa under the apartheid regime. His grandparents entered South Africa after fleeing Europe and became "accepted" in white society. He was educated in a Jewish Zionist school system, and has family members who live in Israel. He discusses his journey to anti-Zionism, his relation to activism, and how he has been called an anti-Semite by many Jewish and non-Jewish people. It was an interesting listen in late September when it released, and I think is an interesting perspective given the international situation now.

I would also add that many Jewish people are not Zionists, and conflating Israel and Jewish people is and of itself an anti Semitic trope. I completely agree with you that in a world without Israel anti Semitism would not go away, it is something I think many countries in the world have not properly grappled with. One of the criticisms of Zionism from some within the Jewish community is how it has been used by countries as a get out clause for their anti Semitism - to a) tell all their Jewish population to leave and go be good Israelis and b) to then hide their anti Semitism behind their support for Israel.

Over the last few years I have been listening to Daniel Khan - a Jewish folk / punk singer. One of the songs he sings, which is a translation of "Oh you foolish little zionists" (1931), has the stanza:

The 1930s and 1940s showed the fallacy of just "staying in the Diaspora"
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,953
    edited October 2023
    What's Sopels point?

Surly the only comparison with any merit would be from how the hall looked for Jeremy Hunts speech Vs Reeves?
  • Options
    Interesting interview.

A former top aide for Bernie Sanders on how Israel’s critics on the political left see the Hamas attack and what this means for deal-making in the region.
    https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/10/09/israel-hamas-war-american-left-matt-duss-00120536
  • Options

148grss said:

On Israel:

Hence, Israel.

The 1930s and 1940s showed the fallacy of just "staying in the Diaspora"
    I mean if the European powers acted sooner and were not themselves massively anti Semitic things might have turned out differently. I also think that rereleasing this song specifically in the modern era has its own message.
  • Options
    Leon said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

Absolutely. No good outcomes

If Egypt seals the border (and they have tightened control this morning) then Israel will be left with a cornered population unable to go anywhere. What then?

I may be wrong and this isn't the Israeli plan, but then I am bewildered as to what Israel thinks it can achieve with ANOTHER invasion that does nothing but stir up evermore enmity. It simply ensures further attacks down the line

As I said last night, they might possibly be planning a renewed Occupation of Gaza, with Israel in control, and the reintroduction of Israeli settlers, who will act as a de facto spy network and military police, so October 7 is not repeated. But that's damnably tricky and could so easily go wrong

The final possibility is that Israel doesn't have a plan. It is acting in a spirit of pure revenge
    With whom would they negotiate? Hamas is the *government* of Gaza. Israel has declared war on Gaza amd it shouldn't be a surprise - its *government* has launched these attacks.

So the Israeli goal will I believe be simple - remove Hamas as a threat. How they achieve that is tricky, but they won't just be pushing the cross-border terrorists back into their prison.

Removal of Hamas - and the Hamas state - has to be the goal. And that will largely mean the killing of anyone who is Hamas, supports Hamas, lives near Hamas. It is going to be awful - war usually is. Especially when the aggressor is pledged to the extermination of the other side.
  • Options
    PJH said:

Leon said:

But Jeez they are bleak
    I agree with that. But 4 is the only one that doesn't eventually lead us back to where we are now. 3 will result in years of Israel's security forces being sniped at, captured, and huge cost, without any real security, and eventually a more moderate government will pull out and we are back where we are now in due course.

4 solves this particular problem for ever. Different problems may arise but they will be physically further away. I think it is what I would do if I was a hard line Israeli if I could ignore the mass international opprobrium that would follow. And - no, I don't condone it.
    Tragically plausible, and certainly possible

Israel wants this problem "solved". The only way you solve it is by destroying Gaza as an entity forever and shifting the Gazans further away from Israel, with a cordon sanitaire around them so they cannot menace Jews

The only place they can be "pushed" is Egypt, so this runs a grave risk of a new hot war between Jerusalem and Cairo

Great
  • Options

On Israel:

Hence, Israel.

Well, that depends on how you define 'fairer'. especially considering the Jewish homelands were *not* in Germany, and they had been 'encouraged' out of the Middle East for hundreds of years (just look at the way Jews were treated in Egypt in the 1800s, for instance).

Yours are fine words, but wherever they settled, the curse of anti-Semitism will have followed.
  • Options
    PJH said:

Leon said:

But Jeez they are bleak

Agreed that, if you take a very cold-blooded hard-hearted view (and no I do not agree with it), 4 is the one with the most chance of a permanent 'resolution'.

However, what I mentioned FPT may be a better bet, namely Egypt and Israel turn Gaza into a co-ruled state. The Egyptians can then do the hard crackdown stuff on Hamas and the internal order while the Israelis give them support and fund Gaza. In Egypt's case, that would probably mean giving them tons of money / Western weapons plus recognition for Sisi and a blind eye to what he does. However, as a solution, it may work.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

But Jeez they are bleak

1 is a ceasefire

It's nice to dream, but why on earth would Israel agree to a ceasefire now? Just after 700 Israelis have died in a day?

I repeat the context. Accounting for population, 700 dead Israelis would be the same as 5000 Britons killed in a single day (for comparison, the worst day of the Blitz killed about 1300). The equivalent in America would be 23,000 Americans killed in a single day - almost ten times the number that died in 9/11

So this is WORSE than 9/11. And there is no way America would have "declared a ceasefire" in the days after 9/11. America set itself to vengeance; Israel does the same
    They won't *now* - I'm talking months.

I do get the comparison with 9/11 in terms of impact, but the subsequent engagement and context is fundamentally different. Hamas run Gaza. Al-Qaeda didn't run anywhere. And Gaza is right next door, not the other side of the world, with both entities having been in a state of intermittent war for decades.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,964

Is he really someone you'd use as a reference?

All that does is make me wonder why he wasn't sacked much sooner rather than thinking she must be competent.
  • Options
    148grss said:

This seems like a very reasonable take that is surprisingly front and centre in Politico today:

Apologies - didn't notice you'd already posted it.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

But Jeez they are bleak

1 is a ceasefire

They won't *now* - I'm talking months.

I do get the comparison with 9/11 in terms of impact, but the subsequent engagement and context is fundamentally different. Hamas run Gaza. Al-Qaeda didn't run anywhere. And Gaza is right next door, not the other side of the world, with both entities having been in a state of intermittent war for decades.
    Israel will not ceasefire until they have achieved their stated goal: completely destroyed Hamas and ensured it can never revive and threaten Israel. If they achieve that they will have largely levelled Gaza and either shunted the Gazans into Egypt or put the enclave under a renewed and brutal occupation

So a ceasefire basically = annihilation of much of Gaza. The firing will cease because one side will be dead
  • Options
    What help, and to do what ?

Rishi Sunak says UK is ‘poised’ to offer Israel military help if required
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/oct/09/rishi-sunak-uk-poised-israel-military-help
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,104
    GIN1138 said:

What's Sopels point?

Surly the only comparison with any merit would be from how the hall looked for Jeremy Hunts speech Vs Reeves?

Yes. He could have at least googled a picture from Hunt’s speech.

• Options

PJH said:

Leon said:

But Jeez they are bleak

Agreed that, if you take a very cold-blooded hard-hearted view (and no I do not agree with it), 4 is the one with the most chance of a permanent 'resolution'.

However, what I mentioned FPT may be a better bet, namely Egypt and Israel turn Gaza into a co-ruled state. The Egyptians can then do the hard crackdown stuff on Hamas and the internal order while the Israelis give them support and fund Gaza. In Egypt's case, that would probably mean giving them tons of money / Western weapons plus recognition for Sisi and a blind eye to what he does. However, as a solution, it may work.
    That's actually a pretty good solution. It is maybe the only one which doesn't end in terrible perpetual suffering for Gazans, or total ethnic cleansing of Gaza (beyond all the dreamland two state stuff)

Unfortunately I doubt Egypt will be interested, but maybe a TON of money could do it
This discussion has been closed.