Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A CON majority now drops to a 7.6% betting chance – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,726
edited October 2023 in General
imageA CON majority now drops to a 7.6% betting chance – politicalbetting.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,928
    First - like Labour!
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,097
    That high?

Granted I would get a better return from. the post office but I would still lay a Tory majority at those odds.
  • Options
    Amount 'saved' by Sunak's HS2 evisceration = £36bn

Increase in annual debt interest since Truss = £54bn
  • Options

And presumably the saving is a one off

The extra cost is every year
  • Options

Correct
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,175
    eek said:

That high?

Granted I would get a better return from. the post office but I would still lay a Tory majority at those odds.

There's no point. If the betting odds continue in this way, there'll only be pennies from a large steamroller or a mahoosive polls failure that makes three people very rich. I've started looking at POTUS 2024 as a more even match where judgement may make a difference and lead to a modest profit.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    edited October 2023
    glw said:

I'll tell you one thing. I'm no longer convinced that Sunak is good with numbers.
    I think he’s probably wiped out his “steady” competence perception that inevitably got him the leadership. He’s proving to be an absolutely awful PM
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,161
    From the HS2 website.

"Edinburgh Station

Edinburgh will be an integrated high-speed station where passengers can catch HS2 trains and access the high-speed network to the south. HS2 will cut journey times with HS2 trains serving Edinburgh and Glasgow via the West Coast Main Line. A consultation has been launched on proposals for a train stabling facility in the Dumfries and Galloway area to stable, clean and maintain HS2 trains serving Scotland and North West England. When fully operational, this facility would provide 100 skilled and unskilled jobs. Find out more about this consultation, or the proposals themselves."

https://www.hs2.org.uk/the-route/the-north-and-scotland/edinburgh-station/
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,941
    edited October 2023

Its £36bn over 20+ years. So <£2bn a year. Some years will be more or less.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048
    edited October 2023

I get your point but actually the saving on HS2 is probably nearer £90 billion or more.

This is one area where Sunak is conning people (amongst many). Saving £90 odd billion but only spending £36 billion on other projects across the country.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978

For the first time in my life I want the Tories to lose a general election, actually I want them eviscerated.

Sunak's shafting of the North will not be forgotten or forgiven.

I reckon that’s how I feel. I want them to lose very badly
  • Options

I get your point but actually the saving on HS2 is probably nearer £90 billion or more.

This is one area where Sunak is conning people (amongst many). Saving £90 odd billion but only spending £36 billion on other projects across the country.
    https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-9313/

Why £90bn?

Was £15-22bn in 2019. After increases in costs and inflation, £36bn in todays prices. Big leap to 90.....
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    edited October 2023
    I can't complain about HS2 since spending the money on numerous local projects was what I advocated back in 2010 or whenever it was. It was getting an OK reception on regional BBC radio (Stoke, West Midlands) as I drove back. But the absence of dates is suspicious - I wonder how many will actually happen. And I note that an unspecified chunk will go on roads, which I suppose goes with the downgrading of HS2.

Mainly, though, it strikes me as a personal wish-list - we know Sunak hates smoking, and the new exams in 2033 seems to have been thought up without consultation, but again have the personakl hobby-horse of maths at 18. The near-absence of anything on the NHS or cost of living makes it feel a bit other-worldly.

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,477

For the first time in my life I want the Tories to lose a general election, actually I want them eviscerated.

Scorching the earth to ensure HS2 cannot be resurrected by the next government which might only be a year away (without substantial additional cost) is really rather outrageous.
  • Options

And as if the £36bn will actually be delivered any more than the already promised HS2 and other already promised schemes that were never built will be.

£36bn pledged to lots of minor schemes mean those minor schemes can then be left to never be built and none of them will get the publicity that not building HS2 gets.
  • Options

Most of these other projects seem to either be underway or in advanced levels of planning. It's mainly smoke and mirrors.
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 951

That increase in debt interest was coming anyway - Truss only accelerated the process slightly.

The real problem is that we have the debt in the first place - essentially because Blair and Brown massively expanded state spending on the back of the pre2008 boom, and when the bust came nobody had a clue how to pay for it, so they just borrowed and borrowed and borrowed.

Thanks to loads of QE interest rates were artificially held down, so everything looked more or less under control.

We've now reached the point where interest rates have normalised, and we're having to borrow the entire debt interest every year. One doesn't have to be a math genius to figure that this is an unsustainable circling of the financial plughole. Just ask the Greeks.

As for how on earth we get out of this mess - goodness only knows. Tax revenue must pretty much maxed out with some of the marginal rates the wrong side of the Laffer curve. Every item of spending is apparently a sacred cow, and half the public sector is already on strike because they feel they aren't paid enough. The trouble with axing CapEx is that it helps this year... Then you've got to find some more to axe next year.

Realistically, the only long term options are - cut government spending on everything by 10% in cash terms, or prune some branches of government spending very severely to spare the others. Neither of those will make the chattering classes very happy.
  • Options

It's the scorched earth policy of selling off the HS2 land so Starmer cannot reinstate HS2 which has pushed my buttons.

It's the sort of shit Gordon Brown would do.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,643

Andy_JS said:

From the HS2 website.

"Edinburgh Station

Edinburgh will be an integrated high-speed station where passengers can catch HS2 trains and access the high-speed network to the south. HS2 will cut journey times with HS2 trains serving Edinburgh and Glasgow via the West Coast Main Line. A consultation has been launched on proposals for a train stabling facility in the Dumfries and Galloway area to stable, clean and maintain HS2 trains serving Scotland and North West England. When fully operational, this facility would provide 100 skilled and unskilled jobs. Find out more about this consultation, or the proposals themselves."

https://www.hs2.org.uk/the-route/the-north-and-scotland/edinburgh-station/

Sunak is a chiselling, short-termist, unambitious, boring little shit
    He's not that good.
  • Options

Most of these other projects seem to either be underway or in advanced levels of planning. It's mainly smoke and mirrors.
    Yep. That was not in any way a defence of Sunak's* numbers. Just pointing out that the claim it is 'only' £36 billion saved is not correct.

(funnily enough I just mistyped that as 'Sunk' :smile: )
  • Options

70 road schemes.

He's got Bart's vote... ;)

Does he bollocks.

This whole speech seems as disappointing as a wet fart.

I certainly don't see anything in it worth voting for.

What 'road schemes' are happening? Are we getting a new parallel M6 to add extra capacity? Like a parallel new rail track as proposed but as a motorway? Or other new motorways? What's actually being built?

How about road schemes like for instance the new Western Link Bridge in Warrington that was said to be fully funded in 2019, due for construction in 2021 and still has not yet begun construction? Are these previously-funded schemes being reannounced and if so are they actually going to begin construction before the General Election? Or simply be re-promised like HS2 and these schemes previously, but never actually be built, and simply be cancelled to much less fanfare down the unbuilt road?

Or is it vague BS promises on the never-never? Need I even ask.
    Resurfacing (which was hinted at) up to 70 or so Northern roads is nonetheless welcome.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,232
    edited October 2023

It's the scorched earth policy of selling off the HS2 land so Starmer cannot reinstate HS2 which has pushed my buttons.

Well Sunak is an ex Chancellor who is PM of his party after 13 years of that party being in government and trailing badly in the polls, just as Brown was in 2010.

Gordon Brown was also introduced by his wife before his pre election conference speech in 2009. Both are details obsessed managerialists rather than ideologues or charismatic visionaries.

Brown lost of course but Sunak will be encouraged he narrowed the gap by polling day with Cameron and will hope to catch up with Starmer too
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,288
    @Aaron_R_Rankin

I see the Labour social media team has already responded to the Sunak Cigarette Ban

• Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,643
    Scott_xP said:

Another Labour attack ad composed entirely of Tory politicians speaking

@UKLabour

The Tories are furious about the state of Britain today.

Just wait until they find out who's been in power for the last 13 years.

https://x.com/UKLabour/status/1709616765737525632?s=20

That's pretty good.
  • Options

The North remembers. Starmer is coming.
  • Options

Scorching the earth to ensure HS2 cannot be resurrected by the next government which might only be a year away (without substantial additional cost) is really rather outrageous.
    The cancelling of HS2 is made out to be a massive deal but how many people actually travel from Manchester to London on a regular basis?

I only go into London about 4 times a year and I live in the south.
  • Options

He announced a whole range of new transport projects for the North
  • Options

70 road schemes.

Does he bollocks.

What 'road schemes' are happening? Are we getting a new parallel M6 to add extra capacity? Like a parallel new rail track as proposed but as a motorway? Or other new motorways? What's actually being built?

How about road schemes like for instance the new Western Link Bridge in Warrington that was said to be fully funded in 2019, due for construction in 2021 and still has not yet begun construction? Are these previously-funded schemes being reannounced and if so are they actually going to begin construction before the General Election? Or simply be re-promised like HS2 and these schemes previously, but never actually be built, and simply be cancelled to much less fanfare down the unbuilt road?

Resurfacing (which was hinted at) up to 70 or so Northern roads is nonetheless welcome.
    That's just basic maintenance that should be happening anyway.

If maintenance isn't happening, that's neglect.

To do the basics isn't something you get credit for as new investment or levelling up.

Are we meant to believe that Southern railways haven't been maintained as well as the new one built? That Southern roads haven't been maintained? If so, again, that's neglect and the Government gets no credit for that.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,995

I can't complain about HS2 since spending the money on numerous local projects was what I advocated back in 2010 or whenever it was. It was getting an OK reception on regional BBC radio (Stoke, West Midlands) as I drove back. But the absence of dates is suspicious - I wonder how many will actually happen. And I note that an unspecified chunk will go on roads, which I suppose goes with the downgrading of HS2.

Mainly, though, it strikes me as a personal wish-list - we know Sunak hates smoking, and the new exams in 2033 seems to have been thought up without consultation, but again have the personakl hobby-horse of maths at 18. The near-absence of anything on the NHS or cost of living makes it feel a bit other-worldly.

Listening to 5Live, Ben Houchen said the money for Teesside will arrive in 2026.

This seems odd to me. How useful as an electoral bribe is a promise by serial u Turner Sunak? And hands up who expects that he will be PM in 2026?

£2 billion per year is not going to allow much tax cutting in some sort of giveaway.

To me it looks like salting the earth so a Starmer government cannot reverse it, ditto selling off the land to developers.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

@JenWilliams_FT

Almost a quarter of the HS2 money, unless I’ve misunderstood the background paper, is going on pothole repairs

@steve_hawkes

Labour people are already calling Rishi the Pothole PM. I mean to be fair mending potholes is a good thing but…
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Name one.

Not doing the basics of maintenance, not anything already announced, name any of these "new" transport projects.

Shouldn't be too difficult if he's announced a whole range.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,228
    Foxy said:

Listening to 5Live, Ben Houchen said the money for Teesside will arrive in 2026.

This seems odd to me. How useful as an electoral bribe is a promise by serial u Turner Sunak? And hands up who expects that he will be PM in 2026?

£2 billion per year is not going to allow much tax cutting in some sort of giveaway.

To me it looks like salting the earth so a Starmer government cannot reverse it, ditto selling off the land to developers.
    What projects are going to be shovel-ready in 2026? More likely he's talking about money for feasibility and other studies...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Which are unrealistic, previously announced, and/or useful as a chocolate fireguard.

I live in the North, I know what is needed and it isn't Sunak.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    The smoking ban policy is definitely cutting through. More than any others, including cancelling HS2 north.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,050
    Scott_xP said:

@Aaron_R_Rankin

I see the Labour social media team has already responded to the Sunak Cigarette Ban

That's quite good.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I wonder how many Tory donors are going to be buying little ransom strips along the line to be sold back to a future government.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

The smoking ban policy is definitely cutting through. More than any others, including cancelling HS2 north.

Not in the North.
  • Options
    @JamesHarrisNow

When rich countries do dumb things people say 'Be grateful, you could be in the developing world.' But many developing countries are currently building high-speed rail networks
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

New helipads galore?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@JamesHarrisNow

When rich countries do dumb things people say 'Be grateful, you could be in the developing world.' But many developing countries are currently building high-speed rail networks

That's why they are developing, moving forward.

Britain isn't doing that any more.
  • Options

The cancelling of HS2 is made out to be a massive deal but how many people actually travel from Manchester to London on a regular basis?

Haven't got time to check, but that might be in here:
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/640685/Atkins_Model_Development_Report_PFMv3.0-PFMv4.3.pdf
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,412

Sorry, but as I keep saying the die was set when the Leeds leg was abandoned by Boris. That was when the North was abandoned.

The North isn’t just Manchester.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Not in the North.
    I'm just going by my real person index on Instagram. Takes no account of location. If a political policy makes it through to Instagram it means the wider country is talking about it, such is the insulation it has from politics.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,822
    edited October 2023
    What an utter disgrace Sunak is. Complete and utter disgrace.

But its not just Sunak. If Graham Brady (in the North) doesn't get inundated with no confidence letters, the entire Tory Party own this.

The Tories deserve as many MPs in Northern England next election as they got in 'Northern Britain' in 1997.
  • Options

"I can't complain about HS2 since spending the money on numerous local projects was what I advocated back in 2010 or whenever it was."

And you were wrong then, and you are wrong now. Your ex-constituents will see little, if any, money from this, and the regeneration of large areas - and the resultant opportunities - will take much longer, if they happen at all.
  • Options

70 road schemes.

Does he bollocks.

That's just basic maintenance that should be happening anyway.

If maintenance isn't happening, that's neglect.

To do the basics isn't something you get credit for as new investment or levelling up.

Are we meant to believe that Southern railways haven't been maintained as well as the new one built? That Southern roads haven't been maintained? If so, again, that's neglect and the Government gets no credit for that.
    I was being impish. I knew that would trigger you!

But you are right.
  • Options

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-9313/

Why £90bn?

Was £15-22bn in 2019. After increases in costs and inflation, £36bn in todays prices. Big leap to 90.....
    The estimate from Michael Byng - the man who advised DfT on cost estimates for HS2 - is that the two legs north of Birmingham would cost £83 billion. Given how much costs have already increased since the last review I wuld say £90 billion is probably a conservative estimate.

Phase 1 costs are estimated to have doubled since 2019 as well to just shy of £100 bilion.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Not in the North.
    I'm just going by my real person index on Instagram. Takes no account of location. If a political policy makes it through to Instagram it means the wider country is talking about it, such is the insulation it has from politics.
    Genuine question - good way or bad way?

I can envision either. The important thing is that it's basically irrelevant; young people can't afford to get the habit anyway.
  • Options

Enough that on current trains running every 20 minutes ticket prices are often £100 plus for one leg, so equivalent to flights.

If it was sub 90 mins to Manchester for say £75 return then it's not just northerners coming to London but also plenty of southerners and tourists going to Manchester, as well as the one-two day a week in the office hybrid commuting types.
  • Options

That's not really the point (or probably relevant).

Freeing up the older lines for freight (and moving it off road) would have been the big winner.
  • Options
    lintolinto Posts: 33
    edited October 2023
    Wow the party broadcast is pretty heavily leaning to the small boats. Ignoring pretty much everything else.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Since the standard for checking people are over 18 is to ask for ID if they look under 25, in 10 years time smokers who look under 31 (14 + 10 + 7) will have to carry ID.
    I assume Sunak does not personally know anyone who works on a supermarket checkout asking for ID, and the abuse they receive.
    Though it might boost holding of photo ID in that age bracket, which is probably not what Tory strategists want.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Sorry, but as I keep saying the die was set when the Leeds leg was abandoned by Boris. That was when the North was abandoned.

Oh I know, I worked in Leeds between 2005 and 2011.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,103

It’s not just about passengers but freight traffic . Even then there’s not sufficient passenger capacity on current lines .

Less freight on the roads would help ease motorway congestion and help the environment .

Of course Sunak concentrated today on making it seem London centric and just about journey times as he tried to spin cancelling the project as a good thing .
  • Options

Freeing up the older lines for freight (and moving it off road) would have been the big winner.
    No.

Building more roads to carry both freight and passengers would have been a big winner.

If capacity is needed because passengers are trying to travel but can't due to lack of capacity, then that's fair enough.
    If capacity is needed because freight is trying to travel but can't due to lack of capacity, then that's fair enough.

If capacity is needed to dislocate a fraction of road traffic off the arteries - just build more road artery capacity.
  • Options
    "Extraordinary but I'm told @networkrail was not consulted on today's rail announcement on Network North nor was it asked for advice or information. The company is awaiting further information."

https://twitter.com/christianwolmar/status/1709575467546587275
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,814

70 road schemes.

Does he bollocks.

Worse.

You derive some level of inner relief from a fart, even a wet one.
  • Options

As I said earlier - the Labour party needs to announce that there is a risk that any land sold may be bought back at the price paid...

The salt the earth policy needs to be stopped before the salt is thrown....
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Not in the North.

I can envision either. The important thing is that it's basically irrelevant; young people can't afford to get the habit anyway.
    Generally in favour, but I'm not sure how many are smokers given the age range of people on Instagram (25-40). I want the ban but I also don't smoke. I can imagine it will be very unpopular with people who do. There's also a lot of support for banning disposable vapes whenever that cuts through.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,239

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Not in the North.

Generally in favour, but I'm not sure how many are smokers given the age range of people on Instagram (25-40). I want the ban but I also don't smoke. I can imagine it will be very unpopular with people who do. There's also a lot of support for banning disposable vapes whenever that cuts through.
    I'm in favour of ending smoking, through education, and that has been working for decades.

I'm not in favour of prohibition. Prohibition doesn't work.

If tobacco is banned people won't stop smoking. It will just boost income for criminals and drug dealers, increase costs on the Police and Courts and slash tax revenues. Its an insane policy.
    In fairness, if you are going to visit a drug dealer you might as well buy a drug that does something nice. Tobacco is a rubbish drug.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

If the government want to have five subjects at post 16, we need to rewrite the whole curriculum.

And we will need to rejig our entire staffing patterns.

Plus, we will need to find several thousand more markers from somewhere.

This needs planning (as in, should already be well underway) now if it is to go live in ten years.

Not made up on the back of an envelope for a rather bad conference speech full of equally stupid lies about transport.

They tried to do previous GCSE and A-level reform in six years just seven years ago and it's been an utter fiasco that has left us without a meaningful exam system. Why do they never learn?

Presumably colleges will need tons of investment too as extra classes = extra classrooms that they don't currently have.

Has this been fully funded? And the time for construction been set aside?

Again, need we ask?
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,404

...so there...
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,050
    Am not aware of any student at my school caught smoking this year or last.
    Had a couple of vapes.
    Surely that means the policy is working?
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 525
    Taz said:

It certainly isn't.

According to the Network North map, it stretches as far as Plymouth.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,150

MaxPB said:

Since the standard for checking people are over 18 is to ask for ID if they look under 25, in 10 years time smokers who look under 31 (14 + 10 + 7) will have to carry ID.
    I assume Sunak does not personally know anyone who works on a supermarket checkout asking for ID, and the abuse they receive.
    That may be about to change, though.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,404

MaxPB said:

Though it might boost holding of photo ID in that age bracket, which is probably not what Tory strategists want.
    ..perhaps they should be made to wear a brown cloud as a badge?..
  • Options
    Also a lot, lot of support for the "man is a man, woman is a woman" line from the Instagram index. But not that useful for Rishi, most people think he's still a massive dickbag even if he says sensible things from time to time. I expect tiktoks to be very much the opposite. Millennials definitely seem to be hardening their stance on gender rights in favour of sex based rights. This time last year Instagram was all about trans inclusion, now it's definitely not, any posts in favour get destroyed by all of the fairly ordinary people in the comments and posts like these about what Rishi said get a lot of support that didn't exist even a year ago.

I expect the polls to pick this up over the next 6-12 months. I also don't think it's going to change many votes for Rishi, it may do for a different Tory leader but Rishi is now, IMO, completely damaged goods. Not as bad as Liz the lettuce, but probably worse than Boris.
  • Options

No.

Building more roads to carry both freight and passengers would have been a big winner.

If capacity is needed because passengers are trying to travel but can't due to lack of capacity, then that's fair enough.
    If capacity is needed because freight is trying to travel but can't due to lack of capacity, then that's fair enough.

If capacity is needed to dislocate a fraction of road traffic off the arteries - just build more road artery capacity.
    I keep telling you roads are not the answer, and I use the motorway network all day every day. The more roads you make, the more vehicles you encourage and the cycle continues. The M25 was the case in point. You need people out of their cars and freight on the rails. It is the only way forward.
  • Options

Enough that on current trains running every 20 minutes ticket prices are often £100 plus for one leg, so equivalent to flights.

If it was sub 90 mins to Manchester for say £75 return then it's not just northerners coming to London but also plenty of southerners and tourists going to Manchester, as well as the one-two day a week in the office hybrid commuting types.
    Sure, there will be some going the other way but is it frequent enough to really make a difference? If we suppose that some of the money will be spent on pre-election tax cuts then that will benefit a much wider pool of people than HS2
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,584
    HYUFD said:

Only to see if Labour will promise to do them, not with any intention of disturbing a single sod of northern soil.
  • Options

No.

I keep telling you roads are not the answer, and I use the motorway network all day every day. The more roads you make, the more vehicles you encourage and the cycle continues. The M25 was the case in point. You need people out of their cars and freight on the rails. It is the only way forward.
    And I keep telling you you're wrong.

95% of freight mileage is moving by roads, so if you get more vehicles on the roads afterwards then what are they moving? The remaining 5%? Or goods not currently getting moved?

If its the latter, there's a word for that. Economic growth!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

If the government want to have five subjects at post 16, we need to rewrite the whole curriculum.

This needs planning (as in, should already be well underway) now if it is to go live in ten years.

Not made up on the back of an envelope for a rather bad conference speech full of equally stupid lies about transport.

They tried to do previous GCSE and A-level reform in six years just seven years ago and it's been an utter fiasco that has left us without a meaningful exam system. Why do they never learn?

Presumably colleges will need tons of investment too as extra classes = extra classrooms that they don't currently have.

Has this been fully funded? And the time for construction been set aside?

Again, need we ask?
    Well we know the replacement budget currently expects a school to last 150 years given the rate of 50 schools a year...

Putting it a different way every consistency will get 1 rebuilt school every 11-12 years...
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Haven't been on in a while but I'd like to just say that I'm glad Hunt has frozen public sector recruitment and will reduce 65k roles this year, we need to do that every year for the next decade. The public sector must learn to do more with less just the same as industry.

This is the single major factor in our inability to cut taxes and compete for investment vs other nations.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Perhaps they should have to do an A Level (or A Major BS) in it.

To be honest, it sounds like what they want is the 1980s version of AS courses; two year courses with a considerable (but not complete) overlap with A Level.

But if you want more teaching hours, that's going to cost.

Not happening.
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 808

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Not in the North.

I'm in favour of ending smoking, through education, and that has been working for decades.

If tobacco is banned people won't stop smoking. It will just boost income for criminals and drug dealers, increase costs on the Police and Courts and slash tax revenues. Its an insane policy.
    Particularly when it'll be legal for older people. It will be a piece of cake to obtain. Even easier than it is to get illegal drugs right now, which is basically 'really fucking easy'.

It's just populist crap to demonise young people who do something that only harms themselves.

And that's about the third worst policy announced today.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,293
    This is the most read UK news story on the BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-67006024

A man who says he was forced to sell his house by HS2 said the failed project has "destroyed his life".

Roly Bardsley learned his home in Stanthorne, Cheshire, was affected by the planned route when he received a letter containing a map of the line.

After being denied a compulsory purchase order, the 59-year-old said he had "lost everything".
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,594

ydoethur said:

Perhaps they should have to do an A Level (or A Major BS) in it.

To be honest, it sounds like what they want is the 1980s version of AS courses; two year courses with a considerable (but not complete) overlap with A Level.

But if you want more teaching hours, that's going to cost.

Not happening.
    AS courses were two years?

I did AS maths in first year of doing A level in early 80s. Can't remember anything about it being a two year thing.
  • Options
    Ratters said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Not in the North.

Particularly when it'll be legal for older people. It will be a piece of cake to obtain. Even easier than it is to get illegal drugs right now, which is basically 'really fucking easy'.

It's just populist crap to demonise young people who do something that only harms themselves.

And that's about the third worst policy announced today.
    Sorry but smoking tobacco doesn't only harm yourself, especially if there's kids around to breath second hand smoke.

A law banning smoking in front of children, or in cars with children etc (if its not illegal already) would make more sense than prohibition.
  • Options

A man who says he was forced to sell his house by HS2 said the failed project has "destroyed his life".

Roly Bardsley learned his home in Stanthorne, Cheshire, was affected by the planned route when he received a letter containing a map of the line.

After being denied a compulsory purchase order, the 59-year-old said he had "lost everything".

Doesn't exactly suggest the public are too bothered about the cancellation of half of HS2 with the money saved put into local transport projects instead
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,639

70 road schemes.

Does he bollocks.

You have it spot on with the phrase ".... never actually be built, and simply be cancelled to much less fanfare down the unbuilt road".

All these promises are supposedly to be fulfilled only the other side of the election or the one after that, from the same lot whose pre-election promise of "40 new hospitals by 2030" turned out to be a mirage.

https://www.bmj.com/content/381/bmj.p1259

• Options
    MaxPB said:

Also a lot, lot of support for the "man is a man, woman is a woman" line from the Instagram index. But not that useful for Rishi, most people think he's still a massive dickbag even if he says sensible things from time to time. I expect tiktoks to be very much the opposite. Millennials definitely seem to be hardening their stance on gender rights in favour of sex based rights. This time last year Instagram was all about trans inclusion, now it's definitely not, any posts in favour get destroyed by all of the fairly ordinary people in the comments and posts like these about what Rishi said get a lot of support that didn't exist even a year ago.

I expect the polls to pick this up over the next 6-12 months. I also don't think it's going to change many votes for Rishi, it may do for a different Tory leader but Rishi is now, IMO, completely damaged goods. Not as bad as Liz the lettuce, but probably worse than Boris.

I am beginning to wonder whether you are right and Sunak is actually worse than Johnson.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,319

Well Mr. Sunak is going to lose one of his houses next year too...
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,788
    I see that the details of the announced reopening of closed railway lines in County Durham involves the reopening of no railway lines. Just Ferryhill station.

Meanwhile I noticed this paragraph:

We will upgrade the Energy Coast Line between Carlisle, Workington
    and Barrow. This will enable a half-hourly service between Carlisle,
    Workington and Whitehaven and accommodate major new freight demands
    from the new coal mine.

So no U-turn on the pit.
  • Options
    Pass the sick bucket...

Jeremy Hunt
    @Jeremy_Hunt
    ·
    6h
    What a speech by the Prime Minister. I’ve sat through a fair few PM conference speeches now, that was something else.

No messing around, decision after decision to improve our long term future. Courage too - which is why I am proud of my boss today
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Name one.

Not doing the basics of maintenance, not anything already announced, name any of these "new" transport projects.

Shouldn't be too difficult if he's announced a whole range.
    £3bn for upgraded and electrified lines between Manchester and Sheffield, Sheffield and Leeds, Sheffield and Hull, and Hull to Leeds.

Also money would go towards resurfacing roads across the country. Electriciation of North Wales rail lines, improved links between Scotland and NI too
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,963
    MaxPB said:

That reinforces my suspicion that Millennials are busybody puritans who like sticking their noses into other people’s affairs.

Though my instagram feed just seems to be people posting about wine and exotic foreign holidays.

The question is what does boomer Facebook make of it all. I assume they’re all uproariously happy.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,161
    Laphonza Butler is the new junior senator from California.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laphonza_Butler
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,788
    And another thing, there is no NPR. The new station at Bradford will have services to Manchester via Huddersfield. So a bit of new track in West Yorkshire, but no new route under the Pennines.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited October 2023
    Not that the scraping A/T - Levels will happen, but politically is there any real interest in doing this?

Surely parents are worried about mortgages, food / energy bills, knife crime, cost of uni....there is literally no benefit to an announcement to overturn the apple cart on education qualifications like this.

The youngsters need better maths skills, I can see that, but lets scrap the whole qualification system, just bizarre. There is zero upside politically or practically.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,713
    As Rishi says today, "A woman is a woman" but he failed to add " but a good cigar is a smoke".
This discussion has been closed.