Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Tory problem – this is how Rishi is perceived – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,674
    Truss is definitely on manoeuvres. I’m not entirely sure with what aim - she can’t surely expect to be party leader again - but it’s quite clear she’s setting out an alternative prospectus. The power behind the throne in opposition?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Good afternoon

Really enjoyed the Ryder Cup and cooking a meal for my dear wife yesterday in a politics free zone

Just sat down for lunch to see Truss delivering a speech and Farage nodding in agreement

Time to go to politics free zone again methinks

You voted for this lot; look upon your fine works!
    I was fine with Johnson on brexit, covid, and Ukraine but he lost me along with the country over partygate

I had no input into Truss election and indeed am not a member anymore

I support Sunak certainly against Starmer
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,627

Truss is definitely on manoeuvres. I’m not entirely sure with what aim - she can’t surely expect to be party leader again - but it’s quite clear she’s setting out an alternative prospectus. The power behind the throne in opposition?

Maybe the plan is for Simon Clarke to make a leadership bid.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,376

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Barnesian said:

algarkirk said:

Farooq said:

Eabhal said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

The PM is rich? So what. He is leader of the Conservative Party not a Corbynite Marxist sect.

What voters want to see is their own economic circumstances improve which he and Hunt are doing by cutting inflation and growing the economy and hopefully in due course cutting tax as well.

As for getting rid of Rishi, barely more than a year ago OGH was telling Tories to get rid of Boris in favour of Rishi!

Cutting inflation is not a sufficient condition for people to "see their own economic circumstances improve". What matters to most people is the difference between their income inflation and price inflation. Inflation is still high.
    We're not going destitute as fast as we were, darling. I think i'll vote conservative now.
    And don't forget the cumulative effect - it will be quite some time before real wages are back where they were before Sunak got in.
    Yes. We're just off the back of 20 straight months of CPI inflation being above wage inflation. We've had one month with wages going up faster than CPI. So even if every month is the mirror of the months before, we'll still be worse off than we were in October 2021 by the time the election comes around.
    Especially thanks to fiscal drag.

Real take-home wages are still falling currently, even with nominal wages growing faster than inflation.
    You’re in danger of post hoc data mining

Wages aren’t growing!

Oops.

Real wages aren’t growing! 😁

Fuck!

Shit! Umm! Fiscal drag, thats’s it. Fiscal drag!

Real take-home wages aren’t growing! 😁
    Excuse me but I've been banging the drum on fiscal drag and opposed it since it was announced. I'm entirely consistent.

And of course I was a loyal Tory until Sunak started putting up taxes like National Insurance and fiscal drag.

I have my principles. I believe people should be able to keep more of their own income they work for. The Tories used to believe that too.

I haven't left the Tories, Sunak's Tories have left me.
    I'm sure Rishi wants lower taxes. But he wants them in the same way that St Augustine wanted chastity.

(Unless he can find ways of cutting government spending on a recurring basis, I'd rather it was funded by taxes than borrowing. The mix of taxes he's using is a disgrace, though.)
    Two questions.

How can you talk tax cuts when borrowing £100billion+ a year.

Why are we borrowing £100 billion this year instead of balancing the books now the pandemic is over?
    There is nothing wrong with borrowing if you are using the money to invest eg in infrastructure or education where the return is substantially greater than the interest on the borrowing.

We have plenty of borrowing headroom. The national debt is about one year's GDP. Individuals often have mortgage debt of up to three time annual salary and find it sustainable. Plenty of headroom.

But to borrow to cut taxes is severely damaging and driven by ideology.

So I agree with your first sentence but not your second.
    Pretty much the entire deficit is due to interest payments on government debt. So Britain would be in a much better place if it wasn't having to service so much debt. It doesn't make much sense to me to add even more debt, and even more future debt interest payments, particularly when the future demographic challenges means that it becomes harder to service debts in the future, with an ageing population, and a shrinking global population.

And besides all that, after the experience of the Truss Calamity, I'm amazed that anyone could think that Britain has any headroom to borrow more. The market response showed that there wasn't much appetite to lend Britain more money, nor confidence in Britain being able to service larger debts.

Worked out over the weekend that my newly-graduated daughter is paying a higher tax rate on her income (20% basic rate + 9% student loans graduate tax + 12 % national insurance = 41%) than my Dad is on his pension (40% higher rate of income tax). Absolutely insane.
    Poor comparison , the 9% is a government payday/bank type loan so not a tax ( and if she does not earn big money she does not pay the loan back).
    My Dad is a graduate, just like her, and he didn't have to pay it. It's a tax masquerading as a loan. Claiming otherwise is pure sophistry.
    Letting so many people be paid by state to go to university is the issue ( only a fraction of the current volumes were at university when her Dad dit it ). Those who need to for certain jobs should go and pay for it , the others should jsut take a job and save wasting time and money.
    If as Idiot Bart says she is earning 25K then she could just as easily taken a job at a till in Tesco's and been earning for years and have no LOAN to pay back.
    You really are an illiterate dumbo who can't understand what other people wrote aren't you? Maybe if you were better educated your reading comprehension would be better.

I never said she was earning £25k, I said that the repayment threshold is now set at £25k so graduates earning £25k or above is on an effective 9% higher income tax rate from that point on.

£25k is not in my view "big money" which is what you falsely claimed, do you think its big money?

Do you really think its air t hat someone on £25k or above should have a marginal tax rate of 41%? 20+12+9 = 41 whether you like it or not, don't be an innumerate dumbo, that's how the numbers are.
    You are at it again Thicko , where did I say 25K was big money. If they want the advantage of university then they should pay for it , usual whining from the likes of you, scrounger that wants everybody else to pay for them and their brood.
    Get out and get a decent job rather than trying to sponge off pensioners.
    A teacher or, even ‘worse’ a doctor spends several unremunerated years at university, to be fair.
    Some jobs do require a degree OKC, many do not though. Your examples would I say require a degree.
    And a newly qualified teacher on a £30k salary is facing a real marginal tax rate of 41% on everything she or he earns over £25k. 20+12+9

Do you really think its reasonable to tax an early career teacher 41% when others are taxed less who earn the same or more?
    If they want to take a loan to get the benefits then that is personal choice , if they don't liek it go out and get a job rather than go to university. They get 17 weeks holidays a year , do you shout to the rooftops that everyone should get 17 weeks , or a final salary pension , etc. NO just regurgitate the same old bash a pensioner crap ad nauseum. What part of your thick skull cannot grasp that most pensioners are NOT rich
    Can't take you seriously when you get basic facts wrong. A state school in England must, by law, be open for 190 days in a year. That's 38 weeks. How many weeks are there in a year? What's the difference between those two numbers?
    So minimum 14 weeks then , poor souls and does being open mean actually teaching.
  • Options

She is a nutter who thinks she is great, anything possible in her tiny mind.
  • Options
    New thread.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,179
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Not.

Unbelievable! The AfD's top candidate for next year's European elections has just been revealed as head of a long-running Chinese influence operation
    https://twitter.com/PeterRNeumann/status/1708731621191430504

A communist sympathiser.....that will come as quite a shock to the Nazi sympathisers who support AFD.
    Fans of the authoritarian state, both.
    I’m reminded of the stories of people recognising the SA stormtrooper beating them as a former fellow communist from their militia….
  • Options

Farooq said:

Good afternoon

Really enjoyed the Ryder Cup and cooking a meal for my dear wife yesterday in a politics free zone

Just sat down for lunch to see Truss delivering a speech and Farage nodding in agreement

I was fine with Johnson on brexit, covid, and Ukraine but he lost me along with the country over partygate

Why? What has he done/ promised to do that warrants this baleful Tory government getting another term? The past 5+ years have been some of the worst governments in our history and the current Tory party are surely the worst of a very bad bunch.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 11,245

Farooq said:

Good afternoon

You knew nothing about Covid when you voted for this rabble and you almost certainly weren't thinking about Ukraine. No, you voted for them knowing that there was a nutter in charge who surrounded himself with nutters. And now you're bewailing nutters at the Conservative conference?

You did this.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,179

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Farooq said:

Eabhal said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

The PM is rich? So what. He is leader of the Conservative Party not a Corbynite Marxist sect.

What voters want to see is their own economic circumstances improve which he and Hunt are doing by cutting inflation and growing the economy and hopefully in due course cutting tax as well.

As for getting rid of Rishi, barely more than a year ago OGH was telling Tories to get rid of Boris in favour of Rishi!

Cutting inflation is not a sufficient condition for people to "see their own economic circumstances improve". What matters to most people is the difference between their income inflation and price inflation. Inflation is still high.
    We're not going destitute as fast as we were, darling. I think i'll vote conservative now.
    And don't forget the cumulative effect - it will be quite some time before real wages are back where they were before Sunak got in.
    Yes. We're just off the back of 20 straight months of CPI inflation being above wage inflation. We've had one month with wages going up faster than CPI. So even if every month is the mirror of the months before, we'll still be worse off than we were in October 2021 by the time the election comes around.

Real take-home wages are still falling currently, even with nominal wages growing faster than inflation.

Wages aren’t growing!

Oops.

Fuck!

You’re in danger of wrapping yourself in a comfortable blanket of argument while, I suspect, Bart’s position better reflects the experience of the electorate.
    He has two drums that he bangs with monotonous regularity. It gives me a headache.

Fiscal drag sucks. It’s a sneaky tax. But it’s not what people focus on - they see their tax home pay go up, but are struggling to make ends meet because prices are going up faster.

Unfortunately the size of state that the electorate wants needs to be paid for. If there was a government that was willing to be more disciplined then there would be saving that could be made, but that isn’t this government or (I suspect) the next one.

But the level of tax rises that are needed to balance the budget (or at least reduce the deficit below the rate of GDP growth) are too large to be affordable by the rich (however defined). They have already made significant contributions (eg additional rate threshold cut by £25k - that’s £1,250 extra income tax from each individual) as have companies with the planned increase in corporation tax.

there will be more tax rises to come for the wealthy, but the middle income voter needs to contribute as well.

Middle income earners can already be on 80% real marginal tax rates - how much higher than that should those go?

How about taxing everyone the same so everyone contributes equally, rather than opting some out of NICs etc?

Why should some be exempt from contributing whatsoever?
    You really are thick , NIC is supposed to be paid till you are state pension age, hence why it stops DUMBO. Fact that a few pensioners work part time after that makes no difference and would raise peanuts you stupid half witted idiot.
    I know what its supposed to be paid until, but things can be changed. Why should it stop once at pension age? What good reason is there for it not to apply to pensions, or investment incomes like from letting out homes, or dividends and so on and so forth?

I never said it should be levied on pensioners who work part time, did I?

I said it should be levied on all income that income tax applies to. Which would include pensioners working, yes, so it would also include pensions, money from letting out properties etc

Since everything the NIC tax pays is PAYG and there is no pot of money that has been accrued to fund obligations, it should be paid equitably as you go by everyone and not only those working for their pay.
    Don't be so stupid, why not have VAT on everything, you cannot get blood out of a stone. Why the Feck would you pay NI on your state pension that was provided due to teh vast amount of NI you had paid for it.
    Because the state needs funding.

Why the Feck should you not pay NI on your state pension? Or private pensions too?

You've not "paid for it", its pay as you go, and the as you go hasn't finished.
    So you cannot read either as well as being as thick as mince. Go read the government site , 35 years contributions idiot, I paid for 50 years , why not whine that I deserve 15 years back as well as back pension as I was supposed to get state pension a year earlier based on what I was originally promised.
    What a Bellend.
    Contributions don't stop after 35 years you idiot. I've paid for most of that already, I'll still continue to pay for the rest of my working life - and should pay for the rest of my life as its PAYG not contributions based. Idiot.

So what if you've paid for 50 years? You never paid into a pot, its pay as you go, payments should continue for your entire life as you're not stopping claiming healthcare or any other benefits from the state anymore now are you?
    Yet again halfwit , I ahve private healthcare, private Dentistry. Do some work you slacker.
    Pay your taxes you soap dodger.
    The insult to pensioners is “coffin dodger”

These things are important…
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,676

Foxy said:

TimS said:

Nigelb said:

The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine has been awarded to a pair of scientists that developed the technology that led to the mRNA Covid vaccines.

They give these prizes out to any Tom, Dick and Harry these days....

There are some on the weird anti-vax community would have them subjected to a Nuremburg style trial for crimes against humanity...

By chance I had a Pfizer covid booster on saturday and sure as eggs is eggs, had an awful 24 hour period with high fever and feeling like crap. I have had this every time I've had an mRNA Covid shot, but not with the AZ ones. This is not going to stop me having them, but I do, think there is something in the delivery system that my body reacts violently to, much more so than any other vaccine I've ever had. The only other reaction I've had at all like it was a bird flu shot about 10 years ago.
    I had quite the opposite experience.
    24hr high fever with AZN, and not much at all from the mRNA jab.

Similarly with the immune response to Covid infection itself - some have a violent, sometimes dangerous immune response: others barely register it.

The risks, of course, are orders of magnitude higher with the bug itself.

Do we know why the booster jab is not yet available to buy like the flu one - can't be a capacity issue can it ?
    I got it from my first AZ too, and not the others.

And today I have the real thing, for the first time in close to 2 years. Feeling decidedly crap.
    Yeah, there is a lot of it about again, with admissions sharply up in my hospital, albeit nothing like previous autumn's. Staff masked again in clinical areas as policy and have had my booster and flu 10 days ago. No after effects.
    There will be "a lot of it about" forever more. Like flu. Like the common cold. We just need to accept to rather than run daily commentaries on it.
    'We' will please ourselves, thanks very much.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,573
    Andy_JS said: "There really ought to be a special election to fill a Senate vacancy."

Americans agree with you: "Special elections to the United States Senate are held to fill the vacancies that occur when a senator dies or resigns before the completion of their six-year term. Winners of these special elections typically serve the remainder of the term of the senator who has caused the vacancy. General elections to the U.S. Congress are held in November of even-numbered years. New Congresses convened on March 4 of the following year until 1934, and since then, new Congresses have begun on January 3 of the following year.

Because of the cost of conducting a special election,[1] most states hold elections to fill a Senate vacancy in conjunction with the next general election, while some states, such as Alabama[2] and Texas, allow for special elections to the Senate to be held before a general election (similar to special elections to the U.S. House of Representatives, though special elections are on a state-wide basis). Special elections can alter the balance of power in the Senate,[3] as can temporary appointments."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_special_elections_to_the_United_States_Senate

As usual, the rules governing these elections vary from state to state.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Farooq said:

Eabhal said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Wages aren’t growing!

Oops.

Fuck!

You’re in danger of wrapping yourself in a comfortable blanket of argument while, I suspect, Bart’s position better reflects the experience of the electorate.
    He has two drums that he bangs with monotonous regularity. It gives me a headache.

Fiscal drag sucks. It’s a sneaky tax. But it’s not what people focus on - they see their tax home pay go up, but are struggling to make ends meet because prices are going up faster.

Unfortunately the size of state that the electorate wants needs to be paid for. If there was a government that was willing to be more disciplined then there would be saving that could be made, but that isn’t this government or (I suspect) the next one.

But the level of tax rises that are needed to balance the budget (or at least reduce the deficit below the rate of GDP growth) are too large to be affordable by the rich (however defined). They have already made significant contributions (eg additional rate threshold cut by £25k - that’s £1,250 extra income tax from each individual) as have companies with the planned increase in corporation tax.

there will be more tax rises to come for the wealthy, but the middle income voter needs to contribute as well.

Middle income earners can already be on 80% real marginal tax rates - how much higher than that should those go?

How about taxing everyone the same so everyone contributes equally, rather than opting some out of NICs etc?

Why should some be exempt from contributing whatsoever?
    You really are thick , NIC is supposed to be paid till you are state pension age, hence why it stops DUMBO. Fact that a few pensioners work part time after that makes no difference and would raise peanuts you stupid half witted idiot.
    I know what its supposed to be paid until, but things can be changed. Why should it stop once at pension age? What good reason is there for it not to apply to pensions, or investment incomes like from letting out homes, or dividends and so on and so forth?

I never said it should be levied on pensioners who work part time, did I?

I said it should be levied on all income that income tax applies to. Which would include pensioners working, yes, so it would also include pensions, money from letting out properties etc

Since everything the NIC tax pays is PAYG and there is no pot of money that has been accrued to fund obligations, it should be paid equitably as you go by everyone and not only those working for their pay.
    Don't be so stupid, why not have VAT on everything, you cannot get blood out of a stone. Why the Feck would you pay NI on your state pension that was provided due to teh vast amount of NI you had paid for it.
    Because the state needs funding.

Why the Feck should you not pay NI on your state pension? Or private pensions too?

You've not "paid for it", its pay as you go, and the as you go hasn't finished.
    So you cannot read either as well as being as thick as mince. Go read the government site , 35 years contributions idiot, I paid for 50 years , why not whine that I deserve 15 years back as well as back pension as I was supposed to get state pension a year earlier based on what I was originally promised.
    What a Bellend.
    Contributions don't stop after 35 years you idiot. I've paid for most of that already, I'll still continue to pay for the rest of my working life - and should pay for the rest of my life as its PAYG not contributions based. Idiot.

So what if you've paid for 50 years? You never paid into a pot, its pay as you go, payments should continue for your entire life as you're not stopping claiming healthcare or any other benefits from the state anymore now are you?
    Yet again halfwit , I ahve private healthcare, private Dentistry. Do some work you slacker.
    Pay your taxes you soap dodger.
    The insult to pensioners is “coffin dodger”

These things are important…
    That would need a functioning braincell
This discussion has been closed.