Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

This is complete nonsense from Sunak – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,820
edited October 2023 in General
This is complete nonsense from Sunak – politicalbetting.com

We will never impose unnecessary and heavy-handed measures on you, the British people.We will still meet our international commitments and hit Net Zero by 2050. pic.twitter.com/XjXQzGVaCN

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,254
    The Green party and some on the Labour left though would likely support most of those measures
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,549
    HYUFD said:

The Green party and some on the Labour left though would likely support most of those measures

If this wasn't being war-gamed and people were prepared to have a sensible a-political discussion about it, we should probably ALL support those measures, in as far as we can make them practicable and efficient for the public.

You can tell we're heading for a General Election when any kind of articulate, balanced, argument goes out the window.

Sad.

I may switch off the news for the next 12 months. The General Election die is cast. And Mike's missing millions won't come back to the fold.
  • Options
    Sunak is a former Goldman Sachs banker, what did you expect?

Thankfully Starmer is a lawyer, a byword for integrity and honesty.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 19,475
    edited September 2023
    Point of order.

Plenty of people have been making anti-car arguments on "climate" grounds.
    Plenty of people have been making anti-meat arguments on "climate" grounds.
    Plenty of people have been making anti-flight arguments on "climate" grounds.

We have had these arguments regularly here.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,708
    HYUFD said:

So he's stopping heavy-handed measures that would have come into existence if another party had won the 2019 election. If you are having to introduce a multiverse to win an argument, something may possibly have gone wrong.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,173
    HYUFD said:

By the same measure* Labour could campaign on "we will ensure you're not forced to use feet and inches".

(*sorry)
  • Options
    Starmer gets my vote, to be fair he is following on from Sunak's lead yesterday when the UK went into alignment with the EU over ICE vehicles.

Brexit: 'We don't want to diverge' from EU, says Sir Keir Starmer

The Labour leader has signalled he plans a more dove-ish approach to Europe should he win the keys to Downing Street. But this new footage shows Sir Keir Starmer is prepared to go further than perhaps previously thought.

Sir Keir Starmer has declared "we don't want to diverge" from EU rules in footage of a conference of centre-left leaders in Canada seen by Sky News.

The Labour leader went beyond his usual cautious formulations on Britain's relationship with the EU at an event on Saturday alongside the Norwegian prime minister, Jonas Gahr Store.

Sir Keir argued that Britain's relationship with the EU could be much stronger, while still remaining outside the bloc and outside the single market, "the more we share a future together".

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-we-dont-want-to-diverge-from-eu-says-sir-keir-starmer-12966338

• Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,384
    Is Sunak really abolishing taxes on meat?! VAT on rotisserie chicken? CT on steakhouses?
  • Options
    Heathener said:

HYUFD said:

If this wasn't being war-gamed and people were prepared to have a sensible a-political discussion about it, we should probably ALL support those measures, in as far as we can make them practicable and efficient for the public.

You can tell we're heading for a General Election when any kind of articulate, balanced, argument goes out the window.

Sad.

I may switch off the news for the next 12 months. The General Election die is cast. And Mike's missing millions won't come back to the fold.
    And here come the loons to prove OGH wrong, those arguments are being made.

And no, we shouldn't support those measures (except insulation, where possible, that's sensible) everything else is utterly ridiculous.
  • Options
    It would have worked as a teasing aside;

"I am... aware that some doomsters think we need to abolish summer holidays. I say phwah and away with such tales of gloom. The British People deserve to join the beauties at the sun kissed beach..."

But Team Rishi have insisted on saying these things straight. And then they look like stupid straw men. Because that's broadly what they are
  • Options
    edited September 2023

Heathener said:

HYUFD said:

Sad.

And here come the loons to prove OGH wrong, those arguments are being made.

And no, we shouldn't support those measures (except insulation, where possible, that's sensible) everything else is utterly ridiculous.
    You mean those measures that were never happening and that Sunak has now 'stopped'?
  • Options
    Hmm, I suppose it's difficult to effectively rebut this without getting involved in some irksomely complex semantics. For example, if someone, anywhere, at some point wanted one of these proposals to happen, then couldn't Rishi say he's effectively 'stopping' it by legislating against it? In the same way that the government could say it's 'stopping' AI from taking over the workplace even though we don't know yet if AI could ever do such a thing. Tricky.
  • Options
    In all the focus on Sunak stopping things that never happened, his attempts positive seem to have been overlooked:

Is that deliberate or accidental?
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,463

Starmer gets my vote, to be fair he is following on from Sunak's lead yesterday when the UK went into alignment with the EU over ICE vehicles.

The Labour leader has signalled he plans a more dove-ish approach to Europe should he win the keys to Downing Street. But this new footage shows Sir Keir Starmer is prepared to go further than perhaps previously thought.

Sir Keir Starmer has declared "we don't want to diverge" from EU rules in footage of a conference of centre-left leaders in Canada seen by Sky News.

The Labour leader went beyond his usual cautious formulations on Britain's relationship with the EU at an event on Saturday alongside the Norwegian prime minister, Jonas Gahr Store.

Sir Keir argued that Britain's relationship with the EU could be much stronger, while still remaining outside the bloc and outside the single market, "the more we share a future together".

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-we-dont-want-to-diverge-from-eu-says-sir-keir-starmer-12966338

The full quote seems fine . Of course the right wing media will just clip it . They’re currently still busy kissing the feet of the new saviour of the poor and down trodden but I’m sure this clip will be ready to go in the run up to the GE.
  • Options
    edited September 2023

Hmm, I suppose it's difficult to effectively rebut this without getting involved in some irksomely complex semantics. For example, if someone, anywhere, at some point wanted one of these proposals to happen, then couldn't Rishi say he's effectively 'stopping' it by legislating against it? In the same way that the government could say it's 'stopping' AI from taking over the workplace even though we don't know yet if AI could ever do such a thing. Tricky.

Is he legislating to stop these things though? Isn't the point that he's doing nothing?
  • Options
    EPG said:

Is Sunak really abolishing taxes on meat?! VAT on rotisserie chicken? CT on steakhouses?

Is he f*ck.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269

The place where Sunak worked after he left GS is probably a better guide to why he is as he is now.

As for lawyers, Stephen Dilley's evidence today at the Post Office Inquiry is enough to make me want to cry with shame. The ignorance, arrogance and unprofessionalism of it is quite sickening.

• Options

Is he legislating to stop these things though? Isn't the point that he's doing nothing?
    No need to legislation to stop these things if they're not already the law, if others are proposing them then not agreeing to that and doing nothing is stopping [for now] those things that are proposed from happening.

I've said before Sunak is a 'bed blocker' PM, he hasn't got a positive agenda of his own, he's only there to stop others from doing what they want.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,671
    "If India ordered a murder in Canada, there must be consequences
    Western countries have for too long acquiesced to the Indian government’s abuses"

https://www.economist.com/leaders/2023/09/20/if-india-ordered-a-murder-in-canada-there-must-be-consequences
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269

EPG said:

Is he f*ck.
    I missed the announcement of a meat tax. When did this happen? Or is he talking out of his arse (again)?
  • Options
    This has definitely cut through.

It was all anyone was talking about at work today.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,238

The common feature of straw man arguments is that they are uninteresting and leave nothing real to discuss.

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

Western countries have for too long acquiesced to the Indian government’s abuses"

https://www.economist.com/leaders/2023/09/20/if-india-ordered-a-murder-in-canada-there-must-be-consequences

No chance of that . Economic interests come first and the west doesn’t have a good track record with horrible regimes.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

EPG said:

Is he f*ck.
    I missed the announcement of a meat tax. When did this happen? Or is he talking out of his arse (again)?
    The latter.
  • Options

Let me guess: they are all loving it and going to vote Tory now?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686
    edited September 2023
    I wonder now with interest rates on hold the BoE will avoid doing a Brown and not sell their holding of bonds at the bottom of the market. It would be a historic and extremely expensive error to sell down the stock of gilts so hopefully the MPC will pause until next year when interest rates start falling and bond prices start rising again.

Despite the BoE being independent, I think some Treasury guidance is needed here. The country can't afford to recapitalise the BoE because they decided to sell at the bottom of the market.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,024
    edited September 2023

Yeah, but mostly as a pisstake, or are your co-workers especially gullible?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,096

HYUFD said:

By the same measure* Labour could campaign on "we will ensure you're not forced to use feet and inches".

(*sorry)
    I can't fathom why they wouldn't do that.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,200
    edited September 2023
    These things are on the agenda of the global think tanks from whom national policies are cribbed:

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/01/a-new-report-says-we-should-tax-meat-eaters-like-smokers

Eating too much meat and smoking both have an impact on the public, from an environmental and health perspective. Meat production degrades the environment by releasing greenhouse gas emissions and using up a disproportionate amount of land and water per unit of protein, while smoking leads to enormous health bills that the public often has to pay for.

In a new report, investment analysts suggest passing on the costs of the meat sector’s impacts to those directly responsible, the same way we tax smokers. The simple idea of the so-called meat tax is that if your burger ends up costing as much as a plate of caviar, you may decide to explore vegetarian options.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,112
    Cyclefree said:

EPG said:

Is he f*ck.
    You had probably nodded off before he got to that part in his speech. Most of us had, and I was driving.
  • Options

Did you admit that venison was going to be exempt from the meat tax anyway?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Did you admit that venison was going to be exempt from the meat tax anyway?
    It's deer enough already.
  • Options

And modesty. Don't forget the modesty.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

The place where Sunak worked after he left GS is probably a better guide to why he is as he is now.

As for lawyers, Stephen Dilley's evidence today at the Post Office Inquiry is enough to make me want to cry with shame. The ignorance, arrogance and unprofessionalism of it is quite sickening.

Hedge Funds in particular, or those ones especially?

I know nothing, but if The Children's Investment Fund featured as a name in a novel, you know that by halfway through, it would have been revealed that they buy children to send up chimneys.
  • Options

These things are on the agenda of the global think tanks from whom national policies are cribbed:

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/01/a-new-report-says-we-should-tax-meat-eaters-like-smokers

Eating too much meat and smoking both have an impact on the public, from an environmental and health perspective. Meat production degrades the environment by releasing greenhouse gas emissions and using up a disproportionate amount of land and water per unit of protein, while smoking leads to enormous health bills that the public often has to pay for.

In a new report, investment analysts suggest passing on the costs of the meat sector’s impacts to those directly responsible, the same way we tax smokers. The simple idea of the so-called meat tax is that if your burger ends up costing as much as a plate of caviar, you may decide to explore vegetarian options.

The same sort of think tank as generated Brexit, even.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,700
    Cyclefree said:

EPG said:

Is he f*ck.
    Someone misheard “chop tax” and the rest is history.
  • Options
    I’m calling it . We’re going to see Labours lead over the next few weeks cut to single digits.

Most of the pubic aren’t into detail and want any alleged economic pain kicked into the long grass . Labour should have gotten onto the front foot , called a news conference and given Sunak both barrels . Instead they’ve allowed Sunaks party political broadcast to go unchallenged .

• Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

(*sorry)
    Because they're miles ahead in the polls anyway?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

(*sorry)
    It sounds as if we are furlong pun threads.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,887

It would have worked as a teasing aside;

"I am... aware that some doomsters think we need to abolish summer holidays. I say phwah and away with such tales of gloom. The British People deserve to join the beauties at the sun kissed beach..."

But Team Rishi have insisted on saying these things straight. And then they look like stupid straw men. Because that's broadly what they are

That reminds me of 'Boris'. Shudder.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,305
    HYUFD said:

The list looks like a summary of the Scottish Green Party manifesto, with the GRR stuff missed off.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    nico679 said:

The full quote seems fine . Of course the right wing media will just clip it . They’re currently still busy kissing the feet of the new saviour of the poor and down trodden but I’m sure this clip will be ready to go in the run up to the GE.
    These will surely be used. Says one thing to get elected, says it’s a matter of principle, then campaigns for the complete opposite after the election, whilst calling the new stance a matter of principle as well.

Amazing how many people overlook this kind of deceit. Maybe it’s because he is so pious and boring that it’s hard to believe he’s such a snide

https://x.com/asfarasdelgados/status/1633564841205174274?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

(*sorry)
    Indeed, even cable laid in a chain stitch.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

EPG said:

Is he f*ck.
    Its a proposal many have been advocating. Especially it seems from Google the University of Oxford, they've been pushing it annually it seems.

A meat tax is probably inevitable - here's how it would work.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

I’m calling it . We’re going to see Labours lead over the next few weeks cut to single digits.

Most of the pubic aren’t into detail and want any alleged economic pain kicked into the long grass . Labour should have gotten onto the front foot , called a news conference and given Sunak both barrels . Instead they’ve allowed Sunaks party political broadcast to go unchallenged .

Hairy days ahead for Labour.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Who would even consider that?

• Options

Cyclefree said:

EPG said:

Is he f*ck.
    Its a proposal many have been advocating. Especially it seems from Google the University of Oxford, they've been pushing it annually it seems.

'Many' are advocating the return of the death penalty or the banning of abortions but neither are at all likely in the UK. Should Sunak claim another victory by stopping those measures?
  • Options
    Labour's next poster:

Were you think of introducing a meat tax?

Rishi Sunak was.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Beats me.

• Options
    edited September 2023

Lots of Tory astroturfers on LBC today. However, I do think it has cut through.

Many callers to LBC were concerned that all these programmes which have been enacted by the current Labour Government would be repealed once Rishi becomes PM. When Rishi becomes PM he will stop Starmer from repossessing your ICE car and your central heating boiler. Rishi will not make you buy an electric car, he will repeal your meat tax and your airline tax. You will also be able to landfill all your rubbish instead of recycling it when Rishi becomes PM

However, all these people calling into LBC, were they just Tufton Street shills and/ or people who would have voted Tory anyway. Sunak may on the other hand have peed off wavering Blue Wall mums and nans fearfully.of what the future holds for their offspring .
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

EPG said:

Is he f*ck.

'Many' are advocating the return of the death penalty or the banning of abortions but neither are at all likely in the UK. Should Sunak claim another victory by stopping those measures?
    Many members of the public, but not many members of the policy-making apparatus.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Have the Canadians provided any evidence beyond their allegation based on who might have motive?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Beats me.

Who would have thought that world leaders who aren’t at war with each other would act in a friendly or courteous manner to each other. Madness.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

(*sorry)
    Please no! You will be making a rod for your own back. I wouldn’t like you to fall off your perch.
  • Options
    isam said:

nico679 said:

These will surely be used. Says one thing to get elected, says it’s a matter of principle, then campaigns for the complete opposite after the election, whilst calling the new stance a matter of principle as well.

Amazing how many people overlook this kind of deceit. Maybe it’s because he is so pious and boring that it’s hard to believe he’s such a snide

https://x.com/asfarasdelgados/status/1633564841205174274?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q
    In terms of deceit there’s plenty of that to go around across the Tories . I’m not a big fan of Starmer and I’d much prefer Angela Rayner as leader. The Tories need to be shown the door and will hopefully return to sanity after a period in opposition.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited September 2023
    nico679 said:

Blair kind of said to do what Sunak wants to be seen to be doing. So it’s hard for Labour to lambast the policy

https://www.politics.co.uk/news/2023/07/28/tony-blair-warns-public-should-not-be-asked-to-do-huge-amount-to-reach-net-zero/
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

EPG said:

Is he f*ck.

Sure, why not, if others are advocating it and you're saying no then yes you're stopping it.

Labour List and the Social Market Foundation were advocating a meat tax just a few days ago: https://labourlist.org/2023/09/our-research-shows-voters-want-to-cut-meat-consumption-labour-policy-must-reflect-this/

Lib Dem Voice advocating a meat tax: https://www.libdemvoice.org/a-food-policy-motion-for-spring-conference-69495.html

Green Party policy is to have a meat tax: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jan/04/caroline-lucas-green-mp-meat-tax-oxford-farmers-conference-prioritise-sustainability
  • Options
    edited September 2023

Cyclefree said:

EPG said:

Is he f*ck.

Many members of the public, but not many members of the policy-making apparatus.
    "the policy-making apparatus" er... is that not the government?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,175
    nico679 said:

I don't think it'll be that dramatic but Labours lead will be cut.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

EPG said:

Is he f*ck.

Both of those measures would likely increase Conservative votes, unfortunately.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

EPG said:

Is he f*ck.

Who in government is advocating the return of the death penalty or banning abortions?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

nico679 said:

No change IMO.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I suspect Five Eyes are trying to work out a common position.

Personally, I think we should call off the trade talks and slap sanctions on access for their citizens.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,384
    I have personally stopped emissions by not driving today.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

I agree.

The understanding by the terminally stupid is thus: Labour want to take away your car, and you can't afford an electric car, because Gordon Brown sold all the gold.

The Tories should put that statement on the side of a bus
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

nico679 said:

I think this has been a good few days for the government . I’d love to be proven wrong but fear the u-turn has changed the game.

Could 400 votes change the course of history !
  • Options
    Hailstones in Ilford, small ones but like a light dusting of snow!
  • Options
    nico679 said:

I may well be spectacularly wrong of course but I think that's overstating it. A lot.

Although we're obsessing about Sunak's lies on here, the rest of the media already seems to have moved on. BBC, Sky, DM, Express, Telegraph, all focused on other things. Only the Sun (for) and the Grauniad (against) still have it amongst their main stories.

So, notwithstanding Casino's work colleagues, I wonder if this will cut through much at all? Many people are more worried about paying the mortgage/rent/electircity than what new car they will be allowed to buy in 2030.
  • Options
    edited September 2023

Andy_JS said:

I suspect Five Eyes are trying to work out a common position.

Personally, I think we should call off the trade talks and slap sanctions on access for their citizens.
    As of now the Canadians have made an accusation without providing any evidence. Let's wait and see what evidence they have, which I'm sure is being shared with intelligence partners before jumping the gun.

It may just have been a crazy person.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

GIN1138 said:

nico679 said:

I think this has been a good few days for the government . I’d love to be proven wrong but fear the u-turn has changed the game.

Could 400 votes change the course of history !
    If it does, it'll be because of Labour snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

How hard would it be to come out unequivocally in favour of private transportation that the overwhelming majority of the nation needs, and make it clear you have no objection to it?

The problem is, they do. Labour needs to step outside its London bubble.
  • Options

Exactly the right policy to pursue, if you want to alienate people against collectively taking meaningful action on climate change.
  • Options

nico679 said:

I agree.

The understanding by the terminally stupid is thus: Labour want to take away your car, and you can't afford an electric car, because Gordon Brown sold all the gold.

Electric cars are so expensive most people can't afford them, unless the price is suddenly going to come down in the next couple of years.
  • Options

Hailstones in Ilford, small ones but like a light dusting of snow!

I blame Brexit. UK weather diverging from the EU's.
  • Options

nico679 said:

I may well be spectacularly wrong of course but I think that's overstating it. A lot.

Although we're obsessing about Sunak's lies on here, the rest of the media already seems to have moved on. BBC, Sky, DM, Express, Telegraph, all focused on other things. Only the Sun (for) and the Grauniad (against) still have it amongst their main stories.

So, notwithstanding Casino's work colleagues, I wonder if this will cut through much at all? Many people are more worried about paying the mortgage/rent/electircity than what new car they will be allowed to buy in 2030.
    I hope you’re right . Unfortunately we’ll have to wait till next week to find out as Opinium aren’t due a poll this weekend .
  • Options

nico679 said:

Casino's work colleagues were all going to vote Tory anyway.

Starmer should be allowed a right of reply as one would after any such government broadcast.

Apart from the lies and bullshine, nobody seems concerned that Sunak rode roughshod over Parliamentary protocol.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

EPG said:

Is he f*ck.

Who in government is advocating the return of the death penalty or banning abortions?
    No one you numpty but if Sunak can claim to be stopping meat tax (not happening anyway) why not claim to be stopping the return of the death penalty (also not happening anyway)?
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 19,475
    edited September 2023

Cyclefree said:

EPG said:

Is he f*ck.

No one you numpty but if Sunak can claim to be stopping meat tax (not happening anyway) why not claim to be stopping the return of the death penalty (also not happening anyway)?
    When people in Labour, Lib Dems, Greens and think tanks are all suggesting meat taxes, then why can't he claim to be stopping it by opposing it?
  • Options
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

I hope you’re right . Unfortunately we’ll have to wait till next week to find out as Opinium aren’t due a poll this weekend .
    By next week no one will remember Sunak's speech.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

EPG said:

Is he f*ck.

Both of those measures would likely increase Conservative votes, unfortunately.
    I doubt it. Those supporting such things are largely already Tory voters.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,945
    edited September 2023
    Cyclefree said:

I saw that, Cyclefree. He was at least a bit more coherent than the lamentable Ms Rose yesterday. (She will surely face charges in due course?)

When I were a lad it was perfectly normal for lawyers to withhold evidence that would assist the other side. I know times have changed but I wasn't sure how far Dilley was obliged to yield such evidence to the suspect's team. I thought the barrister did a good job of smoking him out though.

What screams out at you is the obvious fact that at no juncture did anybody think of testing the Horizon system in a cold run. It wouldn't have been difficult, or especially costly. Instead, they just accepted the assurances from Fujitsu that the system was 'robust'. Well, they would say that, wouldn't they!

Where were the managers? Where the IT pros? Where was anybody with some common sense?

It's not looking good for the PO team, but ye Gods it's taken 20 years already.

Btw, will Fujitsi be attending? Surely they should not be offered any more government contracts until they do.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

EPG said:

Is he f*ck.

Reducing meat consumption is genuinely a hot issue in net zero policy circles so it's a false comparison.

The Tony Blair Institute's Future of Britain initiative talks about "artificial lab-grown meat" as an alternative.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

You know what Sunak needs: a cones hotline. People should be able to call a number to report cones on the road, and no work going on.

To be honest, Sunak could promise free sex and it still wouldn't help him much now.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

You know what Sunak needs: a cones hotline. People should be able to call a number to report cones on the road, and no work going on.

To be honest, Sunak could promise free sex and it still wouldn't help him much now.
    We've had enough of sexperts.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,919
    edited September 2023

rcs1000 said:

I don't know about you, but I'm not too keen on having sex with Sunak, even if I don't have to pay for it
  • Options
    The Guardian advocating a meat tax: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/aug/16/how-can-the-uk-reduce-meat-consumption-and-cut-emissions-aoe

Energy Savings Trust doesn't advocate a tax, but does advocate cutting meat: https://energysavingtrust.org.uk/how-eating-less-meat-can-reduce-our-carbon-emissions/

Climate Chance Committee says food strategy should be to cut meat: https://www.theccc.org.uk/2022/06/13/governments-food-strategy-a-missed-opportunity-for-the-climate/

This bullshit goes on and on and on. Sunak rejecting it is one of the few good things he's unambiguously done.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,412
    rcs1000 said:

And a Back to Basics campaign.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Vote Tory, less Bully more Doggy.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

nico679 said:

I agree.

Electric cars are so expensive most people can't afford them, unless the price is suddenly going to come down in the next couple of years.
    Well surely that was the point of our push towards the banning of NEW ICE cars after 2030. Economies of scale would make your MG4 or your Funky Cat even more competitive. I suspect that by 203 ,new ICE cars will be niche and more expensive than new electric cars anyway. It's going to happen despite Rishi's false flag operation yesterday.

Most people buy used cars. You would still have been be able to buy a used BMW M4 or Ford Mustang GT500 post 2030 if you want the exhilaration of phenomenal acceleration off the line, although haven't MG brought out a performance electric car that would blow the socks off either?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,542

rcs1000 said:

Ludicrous. Sex is never “free”. You always pay - one way or another
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

And a Back to Basics campaign.
    So which former minister has Sunak been shagging?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

nico679 said:

I agree.

Well surely that was the point of our push towards the banning of NEW ICE cars after 2030. Economies of scale would make your MG4 or your Funky Cat even more competitive. I suspect that by 203 ,new ICE cars will be niche and more expensive than new electric cars anyway. It's going to happen despite Rishi's false flag operation yesterday.

Most people buy used cars. You would still have been be able to buy a used BMW M4 or Ford Mustang GT500 post 2030 if you want the exhilaration of phenomenal acceleration off the line, although haven't MG brought out a performance electric car that would blow the socks off either?
    We don't need electric vehicles to be more competitive because petrol vehicles that would be half the price are now illegal.

We need electric vehicles to be more competitive because they're the same price or cheaper than petrol vehicles so ICE vehicles are now obsolete.
  • Options
    The new Rishi policies sound like the results of a focus group in a Red Wall area.
  • Options
    edited September 2023

Cyclefree said:

EPG said:

Is he f*ck.

Are you sure about that? Surely capital punishment is the ultimate wedge issue. I thought its deployment unlikely, but after yesterday's cynical charade I am sure Badenoch and Braverman are thick enough to pitch it and Sunak weak enough to run with it I would have though.
  • Options
    The plan was to say 'no change' to the pro-environment folks and 'all change' to the anti-environment nutters.

But they sent out Suella, Kemi and the like to try to sell the line.

As a result the nutters have heard 'no change' while the pro-environment folks hear 'all change'.

Which meant they panicked and sent old Seven Bins out to do an interview.

That went about as well as you might have expected

Yet some of you still think this bunch can run an effective General Election campaign.
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,181

In all the focus on Sunak stopping things that never happened, his attempts positive seem to have been overlooked:

Is that deliberate or accidental?

"Funding for Sizewell C"?!

Wasn't Monday's announcement simply that they've opened a new application process for potential investors to register their interest?

Barclays were asked to run a search for potential investors in June last year, but they don't seem to have found any, as this new process doesn't seem to involve them.

The government and EDF have both agreed to pay 20% each, which leaves 60% unaccounted for. As far as I can see, no new money has been announced.

So this is basically an outright lie.
  • Options
    Thanks to David Herdson for flagging this up.

I am shocked that Matt Goodwin isn't adhering to the British Polling Council rules.

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,412
    edited September 2023
    I was rather glad of Fishy Rishi’s Net Zero speech this week, not because of its content, which was utter shite, but because it temporarily relieved the headlines of Russell Brand. Sadly, Brand is now back - with a new ‘expose’ of getting his todger out live on air.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

rcs1000 said:

I don't know about you, but I'm not too keen on having sex with Sunak, even if I don't have to pay for it
    Eww.
This discussion has been closed.