Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Should the Liz Truss Honours list be blocked? – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,715
    TimS said:

Leon said:

Rrrrright, tomorrow i must start my slooooow travels home. A demain, mes amis

Be advised. 'Home' is wet and windy and distinctly autumnal.

Until next week, then a very strong signal for sustained high pressure and reasonably warm temperatures.

Should enable this month to beat 2006 for earnest September on record, and possibly beat June to warmest month of 2023.
    Assuming that should be warmest, as opposed to the most sincere month on record?
    edited September 2023

On the first working day of the 20mph rule in Wales over 100,000 have signed the petition against it

https://petitions.senedd.wales/petitions/245548

Make that 107,073....
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,348
    edited September 2023
    DavidL said:

algarkirk said:

TimS said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Cobalt clouds over Cathar Country: rainstorms say Return, return

What, to the EU?
    I heard their young hearts crying
    Loveward above the glancing oar
    And heard the prairie grasses sighing:
    No more, return no more!

O hearts, O sighing grasses,
    Vainly your loveblown bannerets mourn!
    No more will the wild wind that passes
    Return, no more return.
    There once was a man from Looe
    Who pretended to hate the EU
    All knew he was lying -
    That man's always flying
    To Berlin, Milan, and Bayeux
    Not bad. But the first line is all wrong, not enough syllables, and doesn’t flow. Looe is divided into East and West, so you can use that; and you should also include an insult, therefore

There was an old man from West Looe

Is a much better opening line
    Your argument rings very true.

PS I was trying to think of a better city than Bayeux to rhyme with Looe/EU. Couldn't immediately think of one (Chateauroux has too many syllables) so I asked ChatGPT, which came up with this gem:

Me: Can you think of a European city name that rhymes with 'you'?

ChatGPT: Certainly! The city name that rhymes with "you" is "Dublin," which is the capital of Ireland.

So bad it's rather splendid.
    That’s an interesting error

Because Dublin comes from Dubh-linn = Irish for “black river” - and many Celtic languages pronounce Dubh (black) as Doo - cf Baldhu in Cornish, pronounced, “Bal-doo” = black mine

Maybe ChatGPT has some weird deep language memory of Celtic pronunciation?! I sometimes find its hallucinations more interesting than its coherent answers

Bayeux isn’t perfect, the rhyme isn’t exact, maybe Fitou?
    "Can you think of a European city name that rhymes with 'you'?"

Turku - Finland.

Very good, A possible winner, i suggest. Also the fact it’s Finnish makes it more interestingly provocative
    Baku,
    Capital of Azerbaijan,
    Is also not in the EU.
    Darn.
    The bigger question is what European town rhymes with orange.

Unfortunately Orange doesn’t.

Bohinj perhaps.
    I think it is reckoned that nothing rhymes with Orange. In The Inimitable Jeeves (100 years old this year) Bingo Little laments that so little rhymes with Cynthia.

At a tangent from this, no word of any size in English can be constructed from the letters of Chihuahua.
    Ah?

On the first working day of the 20mph rule in Wales over 100,000 have signed the petition against it

All this prevention of automotive derived child deaths by increasing survival rates for vehicle- pedestrian conflicts is sick communism!
    Except...the bigger cause of child deaths is air pollution. And in Wales, they have just increased air pollution - by making journey times half as long again.
  • Trudeau says intelligence shows India was behind slaying of Sikh leader in British Columbia

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-canadian-authorities-have-intelligence-that-india-was-behind-slaying/
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

All this prevention of automotive derived child deaths by increasing survival rates for vehicle- pedestrian conflicts is sick communism!
    Except...the bigger cause of child deaths is air pollution. And in Wales, they have just increased air pollution - by making journey times half as long again.
    Citation required.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731

Trudeau says intelligence shows India was behind slaying of Sikh leader in British Columbia

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-canadian-authorities-have-intelligence-that-india-was-behind-slaying/

Modi is taking the Putin worship a bit too seriously.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,004
    edited September 2023

Make that 107,073....
    The interesting point about this petition is that it is at its highest across North Wales and in Drakeford's heartland

I drove into Llandudno today and halfway down the Little Orme to the RNLI boathouse has been cut from 40mph to 20mph and returning you go from 20mph straight into 40mph

If I want to go to my daughters in Abergele I will now go to the expressway (50mph to 70mph on the outskirts of Colwyn Bay) and avoid the promenade route altogether

It will be interesting to see just how high this petition gets but I haven't heard one voice in favour of the changes, but much anger directed at Drakeford
  • MaxPB said:

algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

Read my speech to @instituteforgov where I set out the need to abandon 25 years of stale economic consensus and make Britain grow again.

We need tax cuts, supply side reform, smaller government and a delay to Net Zero.👇
    elizabethtruss.com/news/speech-in…

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/1703783632672903341?t=x85veDGmn6abhTvPaOJ2tg&s=19

If @Dougseal is right then surely no resignation honours as she returns in triumph to the top of the party.

For the record, it will surprise nobody to know that I agree with every word of her speech. I don't really see how any Tory could disagree. Clearly some of our PB Tories are still dealing with their internalised guilt for foisting the dismal decline manager on us.
    That won't do really. For example, a smaller government. Lets be modest and knock £50 billion off state managed expenditure. This is so modest it is much less than current annual borrowing.

Find the £50 billion savings. (It's roughly our entire defence expenditure).
    £50bn is easy. Means test the state pension, anyone with private income in retirement of over £30k has a 75% taper rate. Cut disability benefits for "mental health" substantially or entirely, it's the new back problem for societies won't work types. Those with actual mental health issues can be assessed under the standard disability benefits criteria as they were until the rules changed.

Stop selling RPI linked bonds or at least reduce the mix to something like just 5-10% of the total and switch all index linking to CPIH for new bonds, new and existing DB pensions and the state pension.

I think that would save in excess of £50bn and axing RPI linked bonds would save substantially more over time and it would force pension fund managers to earn their living and support equity markets rather than just throw more money at linkers.
    Cut quangos
    Cut foreign aid
    Legalise and tax cannabis (at the same level as cigarettes)
    Merge NI and Income tax (and make pensioners liable for the new tax)

Make that 107,073....
    The interesting point about this petition is that it is at its highest across North Wales and in Drakeford's heartland

I drove into Llandudno today and halfway down the Little Orme to the RNLI boathouse has been cut from 40mph to 20mph and returning you go from 20mph straight into 40mph

If I want to go to my daughters in Abergele I will now go to the expressway (50mph to 70mph on the outskirts of Colwyn Bay) and avoid the promenade route altogether

It will be interesting to see just how high this petition gets but I haven't heard one voice in favour of the changes, but much anger directed at Drakeford
    This policy was supported by Andrew RT Davies until he realised there was political capital to be made by a U turn.
  • On the first working day of the 20mph rule in Wales over 100,000 have signed the petition against it

Make that 107,073....

This policy was supported by Andrew RT Davies until he realised there was political capital to be made by a U turn.
    Who
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,603
    edited September 2023

Make that 107,073....

Does he have a sponsorship deal with Russia Today?
  • On the first working day of the 20mph rule in Wales over 100,000 have signed the petition against it

Make that 107,073....

N' yet!
  • New thread

You produce more air pollution per unit of time to travel at a higher speed though so it's not that simple. At 20mph you're more likely to travel at a constant speed with less acceleration and braking, too. Most roads in my neck of SE London are 20mph and it's actually preferable to drive at that speed once you are used to it, with calmer roads, less aggression, less risk of accidents and more time to be considerate and spread the love to cyclists and pedestrians. Twenty is plenty!

Make that 107,073....

I am sorry I haven't a clue.

Make that 107,073....

Who
    Your great leader in Wales.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112

TimS said:

Leon said:

Rrrrright, tomorrow i must start my slooooow travels home. A demain, mes amis

Be advised. 'Home' is wet and windy and distinctly autumnal.

Until next week, then a very strong signal for sustained high pressure and reasonably warm temperatures.

Should enable this month to beat 2006 for earnest September on record, and possibly beat June to warmest month of 2023.
    Assuming that should be warmest, as opposed to the most sincere month on record?
    The importance of being warmest.
This discussion has been closed.