Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » By-Election Preview : February 13th 2014

1235»

Comments

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    Neil said:

@IOS

I'd be genuinely happy if Labour had found a way to deal with UKIP, on most main issues their views are pretty much the opposite of mine (except Europe ironically enough), but I cant see that this result is proof of your claim. It was always going to be a tough area for them, that's been stated here plenty of times since the start of the campaign. Have they really done that much worse than they would have after a different type of Labour campaign?

When you start off with 44% to opponents on 26 and 22, plus far-right parties already totalling 7, getting comfortably over 50% and well over double your nearest rival is pretty good. I think IOS can reasonably say that we've discovered that we can see UKIP off in the northern suburbs. Doesn't mean we've got a UKIP-beating formula that works everywhere, but the speculation that UKIP is a hideous threat to Labour heartlands is looking thin.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,005
    Pulpstar said:

@isam What bets have you taken on which lines out of interest ?

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Think I lost them all!

Labour over 44.5 was it?

Ukip under 26.5 I think

And your Tory one at 11.5

Laid ukip at 11/2
    Backed them at 12/1
    Backed them 2nd place at 10/11

All tiny size

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    UKIP could get a massive number of 2nds at the GE.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Grandiose said:

Again, just to say although much overlooked, the BNP vote is worth looking out for. 3.9% before, and a lot of effort this time apparently.

I think the BNP will definitely go down to about 2-3%.
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    Nick

I am not saying we have found the elixir! I am saying that we have found the right themes and direction. We obviously need to work on and improve on them.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited February 2014
    SKY....UKIP 17/18....Con 14/15
  • Options
    UKIp 17.5%, Conservatives 14.5%. Lib Dems 5%
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    AndyJS said:

Grandiose said:

Again, just to say although much overlooked, the BNP vote is worth looking out for. 3.9% before, and a lot of effort this time apparently.

Well it's definitely downwards pressure. The question is at the Euros whether they'll lose or be annihilated.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    @isam

Laying odds for an election on a site full of political geeks is a tough way to earn some pocket money! ;)
  • Options
    The Tories may be slowing things down a bit if they're less than a 1,000 votes behind UKIP, which is quite likely with this sort of low turnout.
  • Options
    @isam Thanks for creating the line market btw ! None at Paddy or Ladbrokes.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    AveryLP said:

IOS said:

Neil

I am not getting carried away. But I am sure that UKIP hardly set Rotherham and South Shields alight in the 2010 election. We have gone away and worked on dealing with them. Indeed that work will still need to be done. But tonight it looks like we have developed a set of winning tactics to deal with UKIP.

And that is the really positive thing Labour can take from tonight.

Let's wait for the swings, IOS.

If Labour can't improve their share of the vote with a grab and run by election in a rock solid Manchester seat a year and bit off a general election, then there will be no hope for Miliband in 2015.

Oh please. This is a safe seat. Even in the golden years of 1994-97, Labour had some meagre increases (or in some cases, falls) in byelections in safe Labour seats.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,005
    Neil said:

@isam

Laying odds for an election on a site full of political geeks is a tough way to earn some pocket money! ;)

Haha I don't mind, bit of fun!

• Options
    Grandiose said:

AndyJS said:

Grandiose said:

Well it's definitely downwards pressure. The question is at the Euros whether they'll lose or be annihilated.
    Annihilated. They have no activists any more and there's no point. Dont like Bulgarians or Romanians? UKIP is the party that's been most successful at feeding ill-will towards them.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

Looks like the poll was pretty accurate...
  • Options
    The BNP - ugh I guess the Lib Dems will take some tiny solace in the fact they have beaten them.

Tbh This is a good result for Labour and noone else.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    edited February 2014
    As I have stated many times, a big influence on the next election will be the ground war. This bye-election shows how Labour will plan it. Labour has legs, many Tory activists are on their last legs, that's if they make it to the general election.
  • Options
    Ashcrofts polls may be the biggest winner tonight!
  • Options
    Neil, deselected Southwark Cllr Catherine McDonald is running in St Helens South selection rather than Dulwich. Early favourite in St Helens is former council leader Marie Rimmer, even if she is already 66.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Looks like Lord of the Polls was pretty accurate with his prediction. Now run it by me again, what did his marginal poll say?
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    edited February 2014
    The Sky man says that there *might* be a recount for the Lib Dem deposit.

Therefore: EITHER he is out of the loop (or delayed) in knowing what is happening, compared with what other people or "sources" are tweeting from the count; OR other sources are being presumptuously hysterical in spinning things prematurely.

( Don't assume that the journalists at the count necessarily know what's happening.
    When I got home from the Southall by-election in 2007, I watched back my videotape of the BBC coverage and was astonished to see the presenter (actually in the counting hall) telling the viewers that the candidates had been lined up on stage for about 20 minutes already - in fact we were not called up onto the stage until immediately before the declaration, and the people who had been sitting on the stage earlier were nothing to do with the candidates. )
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    @Andrea

That'd brave of her, difficult to see the CLP going for a carpet-bagger!!!

Edit: just checked her website and she was born there, makes sense now!
  • Options
    Ashcroft's poll was always overestimating the Labour vote at 61%. (Famous last words...)
  • Options
    If Ashcroft was very close to being right with this bye-election, if I was a Tory in a marginal seat I would be shitting bricks.
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

Therefore: EITHER he is out of the loop (or delayed) in knowing what is happening, compared with what other people or "sources" are tweeting from the count; OR other sources are being presumptuously hysterical in spinning things prematurely.

( Don't assume that the journalists at the count necessarily know what's happening.
    When I got home from the Southall by-election in 2007, I watched back my videotape of the BBC coverage and was astonished to see the presenter (actually in the counting hall) telling the viewers that the candidates had been lined up on stage for about 20 minutes already - in fact we were not called up onto the stage until immediately before the declaration, and the people who had been sitting on the stage earlier were nothing to do with the candidates. )

Surely they ought to know by now whether the LDs are around the 5% figure?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Neil, she was born in St Helens. But Rimmer is backed by the new council leader who ousted her, Maria Eagle, Woodward, Police Commissioner Jane Kennedy....Rimmer was the woman kept out from the shortlist by NEC in 2001.
    2 Knowsley Cllrs and one lady from Warrington are the other declared runners so far.

• Options
    Andy

Not a million miles off. And also that was with the issue of turnout. Labour are always going to fall down a bit.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

Neil said:

@IOS

I'd be genuinely happy if Labour had found a way to deal with UKIP, on most main issues their views are pretty much the opposite of mine (except Europe ironically enough), but I cant see that this result is proof of your claim. It was always going to be a tough area for them, that's been stated here plenty of times since the start of the campaign. Have they really done that much worse than they would have after a different type of Labour campaign?

When you start off with 44% to opponents on 26 and 22, plus far-right parties already totalling 7, getting comfortably over 50% and well over double your nearest rival is pretty good. I think IOS can reasonably say that we've discovered that we can see UKIP off in the northern suburbs. Doesn't mean we've got a UKIP-beating formula that works everywhere, but the speculation that UKIP is a hideous threat to Labour heartlands is looking thin.

That's not just speculation:

"Steve Fisher from Oxford University has looked at the figures, and found that in places that had local elections in 2012 and 2013 on the same boundaries – combining district wards to make county divisions – UKIP progressed equally at the expense of both Conservatives and Labour."

http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2014/02/mel-stride-mp-3.html
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

The BBC has reported that Labour are 'tipped' to win. 'Tipped' my foot. Nailed on 1/1000 betting certainty more like !
  • Options
    Computer

Yup that's the key point. If Ashcroft has nailed the constituency poll he has almost certainly nailed the marginal polls.

#LabourGroundGame
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

JohnLoony said:

They might not have the final figures yet. It always takes a while to kerfuffle and add up the figures before declaring them. When they have the precise (provisional) figures, *then* the Lib Dems will be in a position to decide whether they want a recount or not.
  • Options

If Ashcroft was very close to being right with this bye-election, if I was a Tory in a marginal seat I would be shitting bricks.

I agree as I've said all along this isn't UKIP territory. Remember those Thanet South polls though ?...
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    If the Lib Dems do lose their deposit, then this will be the biggest decline they've suffered in any byelection to date. Previous record was a fall of 17.2% in Manchester Central.
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

AndyJS said:

JohnLoony said:

They might not have the final figures yet. It always takes a while to kerfuffle and add up the figures before declaring them. When they have the precise (provisional) figures, *then* the Lib Dems will be in a position to decide whether they want a recount or not.
    Who (If anyone) is standing for the Loonies in this seat btw ?
    And are you confident :) ?
  • Options
    smithersjones2013smithersjones2013 Posts: 740
    edited February 2014
    Labour list

02.13: Anyone who has ever done a big count knows the “bundle count” is close enough to the final result. Graham Jones MP has just tweeted what looks like the bundle count, so the result will be very close to this:

Lab 13,200

UKIP 4300

Tory 3500

Lib Dem 1200

BNP 800

Green 700
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The OMRLP candidate is Captain Chaplington-Smythe.
    I am confident that we will come at least 3rd.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Oh....and if it hasn't already been mentioned. The UKIP bus outside the count has been given a parking ticket.Harrumph!
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

If the Lib Dems do lose their deposit, then this will be the biggest decline they've suffered in any byelection to date. Previous record was a fall of 17.2% in Manchester Central.

Yes, would be the worst since at least 1945, narrowly beating Man C's 2012 record...
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Leeds North West could be a fascinating seat to watch come the General Election. It could be the one northern seat that UKIP have a smidgen of a chance in. Close 3 way contest LD-Lab-UKIP maybe.
  • Options
    Looks like the Greens have done better than I predicted, with about 3.1% instead of 1.1%.
  • Options

Labour list

02.13: Anyone who has ever done a big count knows the “bundle count” is close enough to the final result. Graham Jones MP has just tweeted what looks like the bundle count

Around an 11% swing to Labour. Good result for them, no denying it...

• Options
    If I'm not mistaken on those figures it would be something like a 1.5% swing from Labour to UKIP?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited February 2014
    UKIP don't help themselves by bitching about postal votes. They look like losers even though they performed respectably, and make their own supporters suspicious of postal votes which will make it harder to get out their votes.

They have a point on the timing though. Can anyone defend the convention where the incumbent party gets to game the date when the by-election is held? They should make a standard - say 6 weeks after the incumbent dies, held back up to another two weeks if there's another election already planned.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

JohnLoony said:

AndyJS said:

JohnLoony said:

JohnLoony is of course now a Conservative supporter having defected from the Monster Raving Loony Party on 1st April 2013.
  • Options
    Lib Dems are £500 light....oh dear.
  • Options
    02.19: ABSOLUTE DESPERATION STATIONS FROM THE LIB DEMS. They’re 20 votes short of saving a deposit. So here’s a photo of some people trying to find those 20 votes to save their utter humiliation (via @tobyperkinsmp):

http://labourlist.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/lib-dem-desperation-500x375.jpg

02.23: Sources in the room seem to be suggesting that the Lib Dems are losing votes, not gaining them, as they desperately try to save their deposit. Farcical.
  • Options
    If LDs are 20 votes short of holding their deposit, as LabourList reports, it could mean my 4.91% prediction is spot on.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Labour list

02.13: Anyone who has ever done a big count knows the “bundle count” is close enough to the final result. Graham Jones MP has just tweeted what looks like the bundle count

Does this feed into any of your models ?
  • Options
    Results
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

RodCrosby said:

Labour list

The 11% swing to Labour shows them having 0% chance of a majority using the Wheel of Fortune, Caladonian Thistle Basil Brush model.

Labour with a 54% swing shows them having 0% chance of a majority using the Wheel of Fortune, Caladonian Thistle Basil Brush model.
  • Options
    11.2% swing
  • Options
    Sky News shows declaration, BBC News showing weather forecast.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Greens beat BNP
  • Options
    Here comes the acceptance speech written by Labour HQ.

zzzzzzz
  • Options
    Worst LD result since at least 1945...
  • Options
    #LabourGroundGame
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Lab 13261 55.3%
    UKIP 4301 18.0%
    Con 3479 14.5%
    LD 1176 4.9%
    Green 748 3.1%
    BNP 708 3.0%
    Looney 288 1.2%

If I recorded it correctly
  • Options
    Not particularly well delivered either
    Neil said:

Here comes the acceptance speech written by Labour HQ.

zzzzzzz

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Pulpstar said:

UKIP 4301
    Looney 288
    Con 3479
    LD 1176
    Lab 13261
    BNP 708
    Green 748

If I recorded it correctly

Dan Hodges has just posted on twitter that tonights result in the bye-election is a disaster for Ed Miliband.

G'night!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Lab 13261 55%
    UKIP 4301 18%
    Con 3479 15%
    LD 1176 05% (04.91%)
    Green 748 03%
    BNP 708 03%
    MRLP 288 01%
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Leeds North West could be a fascinating seat to watch come the General Election. It could be the one northern seat that UKIP have a smidgen of a chance in. Close 3 way contest LD-Lab-UKIP maybe.

Eh??? Have you got Leeds NW mixed up with somewhere else?
  • Options
    Ashcroft marginal polls = #LabourGroundGame monstering the Tories
  • Options
    No other speeches?
  • Options
    Percentages: [my prediction]

Lab 55.36% [54.06%]
    UKIP 17.94% [20.73%]
    Con 14.52% [16.46%]
    LD 4.91% [4.91%]
    Green 3.12% [1.11%]
    BNP 2.95% [2.22%]
    Loony 1.20% [0.52%]
  • Options

Lab 13261 55%
    UKIP 4301 18%
    Con 3479 15%
    LD 1176 05%
    Green 748 03%
    BNP 708 03%
    MRLP 288 01%

Errr.....I posted more or less that over 40 minutes ago, please do keep up.
  • Options
    Extremely solid result for Labour. I was expecting them to scrape to about 50%, even after the Ashcroft poll.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I can turn the sound on again. The clone has stopped speaking. Nope they decided to interview him. Off goes the sound again!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

No. I think the Lib Dems are in serious danger in the North and that seat could go.
  • Options
    We seem to have some confusion already: Labour vote 13,268 or 13,261?
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Sky News
    "The Liberal Democrat candidate being led away"
    Brings back memories of Hutchings at Eastleigh
  • Options
    Right Night all !
  • Options
    Well done, AndyJS
    AndyJS said:

Lab 55.36% [54.06%]
    UKIP 17.94% [20.73%]
    Con 14.52% [16.46%]
    LD 4.91% [4.91%]
    Green 3.12% [1.11%]
    BNP 2.95% [2.22%]
    Loony 1.20% [0.52%]

• Options

55 Lab
    20 Ukip
    13 Tory
    5 Chortle ...or as close to damn it

As I was saying....Sleep well
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Pulpstar said:

A fractional touch in Labour's direction for the swingback model...
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    Good stuff. Good night all!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    The results confirms that the white working-class Labour vote is holding up better in the North West than probably anywhere else in the country.

Why did UKIP do better in South Shields? I'd say it's the east vs west phenomenon.
  • Options

Lab 13261 55%
    UKIP 4301 18%
    Con 3479 15%
    LD 1176 05%
    Green 748 03%
    BNP 708 03%
    MRLP 288 01%

Errr.....I posted more or less that over 40 minutes ago, please do keep up.
    Imagine that knowing the actual vote totals before they were announced. Aren't you the clever one then?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I'll bow to your superior concentration on such matters. I could have misheard it when it was announced.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Sky News reporter

"I am looking round for Conservatives and Liberal Democrats. I don't think we have any to talk to now".
  • Options

AndyJS said:

I'll bow to your superior concentration on such matters. I could have misheard it when it was announced.
    I wasn't referring to any one person: another website, VoteUK forum, also has both figures.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    AndyJS said:

The results confirms that the white working-class Labour vote is holding up better in the North West than probably anywhere else in the country.

Why did UKIP do better in South Shields? I'd say it's the east vs west phenomenon.

Wasn't there a lot of residual rancor about having David Miliband parachuted into the constituency in 2001?

Not only that but isn't Wythenshawe and Sale not exactly the typical working class constituency? Hasn't it got quite a high white collar middle class / public sector contingent?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

I wasn't referring to any one person: another website, VoteUK forum, also has both figures.
    Ah OK.....

• Options
    Official figure is 13,261 according to Manchester council webpage:

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/362/elections_and_voting/4981/your_next_election
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

No. I think the Lib Dems are in serious danger in the North and that seat could go.
    Yes I think Greg Mulholland will do well to hang on there; but not cos of UKIP.
  • Options

Well done, AndyJS

AndyJS said:

Lab 55.36% [54.06%]
    UKIP 17.94% [20.73%]
    Con 14.52% [16.46%]
    LD 4.91% [4.91%]
    Green 3.12% [1.11%]
    BNP 2.95% [2.22%]
    Loony 1.20% [0.52%]

Thanks, I suppose fluking one candidate's percentage isn't that impressive really.
This discussion has been closed.