Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Could BoJo really make a come-back? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,765
edited September 2023 in General
imageCould BoJo really make a come-back? – politicalbetting.com

On Smarket it’s a 7% betting chances that Johnson could be back as Tory leader at the next general election.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,192
    Well Trump could be going to both jail and the White House in the space of 18 months.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686
    I've just drunk bought Civ VI for my steam deck (£2 off cdkeys) I know there's a few players on here, any recommendations on DLC?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,804
    Boris should have fought the by-election, and possibly won, if he wanted to make a comeback - what an up yours to the people he claimed wanted to force him out.

He instead took the route that he wanted to play the martyr. To his credit he doesn't pop up everywhere moaning about it constantly though.

For the party, look forward, not back - it never works. Corbynistas might be right Keir apes Blair, but he's still got to it in a modern setting.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,833
    edited September 2023
    QTWTAIN
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I've just drunk bought Civ VI for my steam deck (£2 off cdkeys) I know there's a few players on here, any recommendations on DLC?

Unfortunately I never really got into it, only played around 20 hours and so couldn't really rate the DLC.

Got a lot more into Endless Legend, even though it was comparitively simpler and cheaper.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,320
    Am quite past ruling almost anything out.
    Anyways. Found out my school is opening Monday thanks to the Chronicle.
    No communication of any kind from school, council or government.
  • Options
    It would be utterly insane, but that's not a reason for it not to happen.

But.

The Conservative leadership rules say that the leader of the Conservative Party has to be a sitting MP.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn01366/

So Boris would need a by-election caused by the resignation of a helpful stooge to even get to the starting line.

And he'd need to win it.

Is there anywhere safe enough to engineer that? Yes, some people love Boris intensely, but many more hate him.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,032
    dixiedean said:

You were expecting them to do something sane like tell you what's going on?
  • Options
    Just finished a fourteen hour shift to take me up to forty-nine hours for the week so far (since Tuesday morning at seven)

I'm starting at seven again tomorrow, then working Sunday and Monday

I don't think they'll dare ask me to work Tuesday; I don't have another day off due until the following Wednesday
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,595
    edited September 2023
    So just over a year ago OGH was posting threads saying the Tories must dump Boris for Rishi. Now he is saying the Tories might consider dumping Rishi for Boris again?

In any case as Boris is no longer even a Tory MP I doubt Rishi and the Greg Hands led CCHQ would even allow him on the approved Conservative parliamentary candidates list again even if he did want to
    make a comeback. Not being an MP makes him ineligible to be Conservative leader.

Anyway Boris had been PM for 3 years, got Brexit done, lives in a multi million pound Oxfordshire mansion with his family and isn't facing any court cases like Trump. So he probably can't be bothered with it now anyway
  • Options
    QTWTAIBJ
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Not really.
    More chance of finding out from the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Not really.
    More chance of finding out from the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle.
    Given the staffing situation, we have to allow for the possibility that there's nobody there to tell you what's going on.

Good luck for Monday, DD, or should I say... Headmaster?
  • Options
    Super David Moyes.
    Took West Ham top, and lifted Everton off bottom.
    Is there nowt he can't do?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Super David Moyes.

Labour = West Ham
    Tories = Luton
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Was that English?
    You do this a lot, Max asked a perfectly reasonable question.
  • Options
    No

/thread
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Super David Moyes.

Man Utd?
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    HYUFD said:

So just over a year ago OGH was posting threads saying the Tories must dump Boris for Rishi. Now he is saying the Tories might consider dumping Rishi for Boris again?

In any case as Boris is no longer even a Tory MP I doubt Rishi and the Greg Hands led CCHQ would even allow him on the approved Conservative parliamentary candidates list again even if he did want to
    make a comeback. Not being an MP makes him ineligible to be Conservative leader.

Anyway Boris had been PM for 3 years, got Brexit done, lives in a multi million pound Oxfordshire mansion with his family and isn't facing any court cases like Trump. So he probably can't be bothered with it now anyway

The only way Boris comes back now is if Rishi and Hunt lead the Tories to a landslide defeat. Boris says 'told you so', a new Opposition leader takes over who proves a dud and the party begs him to give up his life of Mail columns, country mansion dinner parties, speechmaking for vast sums (and maybe discreetly bonking the local barmaids) and come back in an uber safe seat to lead the Opposition to a Starmer government
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,458
    MaxPB said:

I have Civ VI on Steam and the Gathering Storm expansion.

THAT SAID: I think I prefer classic rules, but that might just be me.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,335
    edited September 2023
    Mohammed Al Fayed has died at 94.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66690623
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,458
    Could BJ come back?

Yes

Is it likely?

No

The following would all need to happen:

(1) A byelection in a winnable seat
    (2) BJ chosen as the candidate
    (3) BJ to win said byelection
    (4) MPs to submit enough letters for a VoNC
    (5) The VoNC to pass
    (6) Johnson to run and to get into the top two
    (7) Johnson to win with members

Now... I'm confident about 7. And 1 is pretty certain too.

But the rest. Phew. That's a hard call. Can't say I'm tempted by a 7% chance.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,791
    HYUFD said:

For certain the opposition parties won’t want Sunak, Hunt and Braverman replaced. Labour would love to keep those in place as no one is listening to them anymore. They would love this status quo right up to voting day.

A PM Penny, Chancellor Glen, Home Office under Chalk, and Barclay at FO would evaporate the LLG advantage over the coming 12 months. But are the Tories smart enough to realise this?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

The only games I have on my Steam are:

Dark Forces
    Jedi Knight
    Jedi Outcast
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,038

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Dark Forces
    Jedi Knight
    Jedi Outcast
    Educate me. What's a steam?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Super David Moyes.

Why won’t Everton spend any money on their team? They are going to finish bottom.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Same, except nothing in the local press either. Even an email from the HT/SBM to say 'No issues' might have been an idea.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,833
    edited September 2023
    Barnesian said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Dark Forces
    Jedi Knight
    Jedi Outcast
    https://store.steampowered.com/about/
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,236
    edited September 2023
    QTWTAIphoto of a nice place in France.

Lovely warm early autumn weather here in the Maconnais where we’re at the place for some building site meetings, notary palavas and a silver wedding anniversary weekend at Chateau de Bagnols just south in Beaujolais.

29C today. 31C tomorrow. And it’s on its way North to Blighty by Sunday.

8th warmest summer on record for the UK. 33rd warmest for central England in a series going back more than 350 years. Not bad, even though it felt so. We forget just how shit the long term average British weather is.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,300
    Barnesian said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Dark Forces
    Jedi Knight
    Jedi Outcast
    software for purchasing computer games, usually used by people too nerdy to play proper console games
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,425
    edited September 2023
    FPT
    JohnO said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Does Boris Johnson actually need to be an MP to be PM?

According to a poster earlier this week, Alec Douglas-Home was PM despite being in neither the Commons nor the Lords, for about five minutes back in 1963.

The key point there being 'for about five minutes'
    Yes. It isn't technically compulsory but in practice it would be impossible for any length of time.

The only other example of a minister who was neither an MP nor a peer was Patrick Gordon-Walker in 1964, who lost his seat but whose experience Wilson considered vital to the government. But after he failed to win two by-elections he had to resign.
    Only one, namely Leyton, which he won in the 1966 GE.
    This question came up some years ago. It is possible for a minister to be a Lord and not be a MP, and many examples are known. It is also possible for a minister to not be a Lord nor a MP, and examples are known but they are fewer.

One example of the latter from WWII was in 1942 when PM Winston Churchill, appointed Richard G. (later Baron) Casey, then Australian Minister for America, as Minister Resident in the Middle East. Casey was never a British MP. Another who was appointed but later found a seat are Ernest Bevin (Minister of Labour for about six weeks before he became a MP),

Such MPs have been given the retronym GOATS, from "government of all the talents"

See https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200910/cmselect/cmpubadm/330/330.pdf

• Options
    edited September 2023
    ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Was that English?
    • Civ VI = Civilisation VI = a computer game in which one builds a country from scratch
    • Steam deck = a thing you download to on which you play computer games and discuss with others
    • DLC = downloadable content = software you download to make your game better
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,638
    Patrick Gordon Walker was famously appointed as Foreign Secretary by Harold Wilson in 1964 despite the fact that he'd just lost his seat in the HoC and had not been appointed as a member of the House of Lords

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Gordon_Walker#Political_career
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Mohammed Al Fayed has died at 94.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66690623

Could nearly have been step grandfather of the future King. Still a quite astonishing rise from very humble beginnings in Egypt as the Crown showed RIP
  • Options
    FPTP

Andy_JS said:

A constitutional question (I was drunkenly discussing this last night). Suppose a huge swathe of Tory MPs defected to Labour and took the Labour whip, meaning that Sir Keir could now easily control the majority of the House. What would happen? Would Sir Keir simply be made PM in Rishi's place, or would a general election be forced?

There wouldn't be an election.
    Yes, I didn't really think there'd be an election. I was more curious about the precise mechanism that would be used to chuck Rishi out and put Keir in.
    A vote of confidence in the HoC against Rishi and another one in favour of Keir, although the first one of those probably wouldn't be necessary because he would have already resigned in those circumstances.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686

MaxPB said:

I've played it lots (most recently getting a culture win on Immortal difficulty, which was a lot harder than winning Broxtowe). IMO it's worth getting the game expansions (Gathering Storm and Rise and Fall, IIRC), but the extra countries/leaders etc. are just nice to try when you've played all the standard leaders.
    Cheers, Nick. The DLC is also available for a few quid so might go for it now rather than want it later when it's full price again.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

For certain the opposition parties won’t want Sunak, Hunt and Braverman replaced. Labour would love to keep those in place as no one is listening to them anymore. They would love this status quo right up to voting day.

A PM Penny, Chancellor Glen, Home Office under Chalk, and Barclay at FO would evaporate the LLG advantage over the coming 12 months. But are the Tories smart enough to realise this?
    Who on Earth is Glen?
    Nobody has heard of Chalk.
    What exactly would this mighty team of Avengers do to "evaporate" the lead should they ever Assemble?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Who are Glen and Chalk? I can't see them making a particularly big impact. You keep Suella. You always keep the Home Secretary because they are just there to be disliked anyway. Who's the last popular Home Sec.? You could fairly easily get Rwanda taking some people imo, and get the boats down. Chancellor is the hardest. I think I'd give it to Gove.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    One of Mohammed Al Fayed's most famous moments, with Ali G in 2000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bYjGHRX9dE
  • Options
    Could BoJo return? The banter heuristic demands it, surely.
  • Options
    I would love to know the details of either the BBC's news editorial decisions or algorithm, and my own perusal of the site possibly generating this, to end up with these news stories together on the BBC Homepage.

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,799

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Was that English?
    Well it might be to you and Max and others, but to people like me it is a random collection of words. In fact some of them don't appear to be words. You obviously have to be in the know.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Who are Glen and Chalk? I can't see them making a particularly big impact. You keep Suella. You always keep the Home Secretary because they are just there to be disliked anyway. Who's the last popular Home Sec.? You could fairly easily get Rwanda taking some people imo, and get the boats down. Chancellor is the hardest. I think I'd give it to Gove.
    And that's the Conservative dilemma in a nutshell. Hardly anyone is enthusiastic about Sunak or his positioning. But he's what you get when you pull a Conservative politician in two directions at once. If he were to move towards either Chalk or Braverman, he would pick up some voters but lose others and quite possibly end up worse off overall.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,776
    dixiedean said:

You’re still at school? Impressive.
  • Options
    kjh said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Was that English?
    Well it might be to you and Max and others, but to people like me it is a random collection of words. In fact some of them don't appear to be words. You obviously have to be in the know.
    My son was very into steam when he was 8 or 9 but had lost all interest by the time he was 12. Since that was 8 years ago I am somewhat out of touch but I remain bemused adults, and intelligent ones at that, are interested.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I would love to know the details of either the BBC's news editorial decisions or algorithm, and my own perusal of the site possibly generating this, to end up with these news stories together on the BBC Homepage.

It's not you. I got that too, and thought much the same as you.

'Wtf' doesn't really do justice to my sense of bewilderment.
  • Options

...Who are Glen and Chalk?...

An oddball buddy-buddy cop pairing currently airing on ITV 4. Starring Martin Clunes as DS Cheese and Meera Syal as DC Glen in the Borsetshire Crime Squad, they solve murders in between gentle ribbing about their lives. Meera Syal was a last-minute replacement for Sheridan Smith who was slated to play DC Chalk but dropped out for personal reasons. Harry Enfield occasionally cameos as the coroner.

• Options

HYUFD said:

Norman Fowler was speaking on R4 recently and cited Roy Jenkins as a great Home Secretary, and Jim Callaghan as a very good one. Both did huge amounts to improve the lives of many.

Kind of gives the lie to the notion of 'The Impossible Job'.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    DavidL said:

kjh said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Was that English?
    My son was very into steam when he was 8 or 9 but had lost all interest by the time he was 12. Since that was 8 years ago I am somewhat out of touch but I remain bemused adults, and intelligent ones at that, are interested.
    I remain bemused people still express bemusement about it. Personally I've not actually played any video games for about 5 months, been on a TV binge, but it's just a medium for entertainment like any other, and an extremely varied one at that. There are games for young children and games very much only for adults, the output cannot be put into a box to 'grow out of', since people will probably move on to different types of game as they age. Good for the ageing brain too, keeps people active mentally.

Given how massive an industry it is, and that is has long been the case that most users are adults, it is frankly bizarre that some people, intelligent ones at that, think it is a child's activity, since that has not been the case for literally decades at the very least, if not longer.

It'd be like expressing surprise that people are into TV shows, because they stopped watching the teletubbies years ago.

And that isn't a slam on DavidL, I am genuinely astonished that so many people still think gaming is a weird thing for adults to do, as if reading books, watching movies, playing board games, or various other things are 'normal' but gaming is not.

Truly, what is the distinction that makes gaming a strange thing for people still to be into and be judged for?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    Oh FFS - no, just no!
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Oh FFS - no, just no!

But think of all the juicy headers that could be written from what would come out of a second Boris ministry?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I've played it lots (most recently getting a culture win on Immortal difficulty, which was a lot harder than winning Broxtowe). IMO it's worth getting the game expansions (Gathering Storm and Rise and Fall, IIRC), but the extra countries/leaders etc. are just nice to try when you've played all the standard leaders.
    Cheers, Nick. The DLC is also available for a few quid so might go for it now rather than want it later when it's full price again.
    I'd agree with that. New Frontier pass is not worth it as much or the Leader Pass. Of the individual civ packs, Australia is probably the best
  • Options
    Tres said:

Barnesian said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Dark Forces
    Jedi Knight
    Jedi Outcast
    software for purchasing computer games, usually used by people too nerdy to play proper console games
    Some of us didn't have access to the TV when we wanted, so had to make do with the PC.

(Now I just have the PS4 hooked up to the PC monitor as well, not that I've used it very much)
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,055
    viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Was that English?
    • Civ VI = Civilisation VI = a computer game in which one builds a country from scratch
    • Steam deck = a thing you download to on which you play computer games and discuss with others
    You'll have to explain "Ice cream so good" to PB soon enough. You have chosen a long path. But I bless you on your travels.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kjh said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Was that English?
    I remain bemused people still express bemusement about it. Personally I've not actually played any video games for about 5 months, been on a TV binge, but it's just a medium for entertainment like any other, and an extremely varied one at that. There are games for young children and games very much only for adults, the output cannot be put into a box to 'grow out of', since people will probably move on to different types of game as they age. Good for the ageing brain too, keeps people active mentally.

Given how massive an industry it is, and that is has long been the case that most users are adults, it is frankly bizarre that some people, intelligent ones at that, think it is a child's activity, since that has not been the case for literally decades at the very least, if not longer.

It'd be like expressing surprise that people are into TV shows, because they stopped watching the teletubbies years ago.

And that isn't a slam on DavidL, I am genuinely astonished that so many people still think gaming is a weird thing for adults to do, as if reading books, watching movies, playing board games, or various other things are 'normal' but gaming is not.

Truly, what is the distinction that makes gaming a strange thing for people still to be into and be judged for?
    Clearly I am missing something. I have never found a computer game that could hold my interest for more than a few minutes. I just don’t see it.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Was that English?
    You'll have to explain "Ice cream so good" to PB soon enough. You have chosen a long path. But I bless you on your travels.
    Thank you for telling me about "Ice Cream So Good". I now hate you. I thought about retaliating by saying "I try to get the waiter's attention by blinking in morse code" but I've already done that once and one should not escalate.

:):):):)
  • Options
    viewcode said:

An oddball buddy-buddy cop pairing currently airing on ITV 4. Starring Martin Clunes as DS Cheese and Meera Syal as DC Glen in the Borsetshire Crime Squad, they solve murders in between gentle ribbing about their lives. Meera Syal was a last-minute replacement for Sheridan Smith who was slated to play DC Chalk but dropped out for personal reasons. Harry Enfield occasionally cameos as the coroner.

The forensic adjudicator or the disease?
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kjh said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Was that English?

Clearly I am missing something. I have never found a computer game that could hold my interest for more than a few minutes. I just don’t see it.
    And that's totally fine, loads of people are not into gaming. I go in and out of interest, but it's somthing I have done since I was young, like reading, so it's part of my default consideration about what to do.

But even if people are not into gaming in the slightest, it's the bemusement that others are which is strange - and it is usually expressed as a thing expected to grow out of, which goes beyond personal disinterest. Some people might dare to question interest in political minutiae as a hobby too, but it's not odd (well, not exactly).

I will say being into gaming can be useful for those with children and teenagers though, precisely because young people may be more into it, and the older person still has the muscle memory, and its an activity even a bored youngster might get on board with. My brother doesn't live with his daughter, who is now into her teens, and one of the things they have kept up for years is playing games together online. Years and years of Minecraft (a 'game' which would bore me to tears) on a weekly basis for example, chatting away for hours at a time. He didn't say so directly but it was obvious he was a bit upset when his TV broke and he didn't have another way of playing with her for 8 weeks until he could afford a replacement. Even though they did see each other and do other things, it was a genuine shared interest for both of them, not parental duty or child obligation.
  • Options
    Boris' problem is that he has to be an MP to be Con leader, which rules out pre-election.

So to come back as an MP he needs Con to lose next year and for the new LOTO to be sympathetic to letting him back and a for a suitable by-election to emerge in a really safe seat. He then also needs to overcome the privileges committee suspending him again (which is likely if Con in opposition)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kjh said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Was that English?

And that's totally fine, loads of people are not into gaming. I go in and out of interest, but it's somthing I have done since I was young, like reading, so it's part of my default consideration about what to do.

But even if people are not into gaming in the slightest, it's the bemusement that others are which is strange - and it is usually expressed as a thing expected to grow out of, which goes beyond personal disinterest. Some people might dare to question interest in political minutiae as a hobby too, but it's not odd (well, not exactly).

I will say being into gaming can be useful for those with children and teenagers though, precisely because young people may be more into it, and the older person still has the muscle memory, and its an activity even a bored youngster might get on board with. My brother doesn't live with his daughter, who is now into her teens, and one of the things they have kept up for years is playing games together online. Years and years of Minecraft on a weekly basis for example, chatting away for hours at a time. He didn't say so directly but it was obvious he was a bit upset when his TV broke and he didn't have another way of playing with her for 8 weeks until he could afford a replacement. Even though they did see each other and do other things, it was a genuine shared interest for both of them, not parental duty or child obligation.
    Whatever happened to Sonic the Hedgehog?

And Tetris? Used to like the music to that.
  • Options
    As previously pointed out as cinema collapses around our ears, there is a glut of director greats making a last-minute lunge for the Last Great Film, a trick few pull off. Spielberg tried and failed with "The Fabelmans", Scott will (i think) fuck it up with "Napoleon", Scorsese might do it with "Killers of the Flower Moon", but now I find out Michael Mann has a new one coming out: "Ferrari", with Adam Driver, written by (yes, really) Troy Kennedy Martin. The trailer is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D78KNtwfwN8
  • Options

viewcode said:

The forensic adjudicator or the disease?
    Difficult to tell.
  • Options
    edited September 2023

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kjh said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Was that English?

I will say being into gaming can be useful for those with children and teenagers though, precisely because young people may be more into it, and the older person still has the muscle memory, and its an activity even a bored youngster might get on board with. My brother doesn't live with his daughter, who is now into her teens, and one of the things they have kept up for years is playing games together online. Years and years of Minecraft on a weekly basis for example, chatting away for hours at a time. He didn't say so directly but it was obvious he was a bit upset when his TV broke and he didn't have another way of playing with her for 8 weeks until he could afford a replacement. Even though they did see each other and do other things, it was a genuine shared interest for both of them, not parental duty or child obligation.
    Whatever happened to Sonic the Hedgehog?

And Tetris? Used to like the music to that.
    They made several decades worth of terrible Sonic games which somehow made enough money for them to keep trying out new, terrible ideas (including one where I think he was in a fantasy Arthurian world), before finally just making 2D ones again.

Now they make successful movies based off the franchise. I believe they also retconned that Robotnik was always called Eggman.

Tetris they have tried to re-release in weird ways that somehow can manage to mess up one of the simplest game concepts known to man.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    viewcode said:

As previously pointed out as cinema collapses around our ears, there is a glut of director greats making a last-minute lunge for the Last Great Film, a trick few pull off. Spielberg tried and failed with "The Fabelmans", Scott will (i think) fuck it up with "Napoleon", Scorsese might do it with "Killers of the Flower Moon", but now I find out Michael Mann has a new one coming out: "Ferrari", with Adam Driver, written by (yes, really) Troy Kennedy Martin. The trailer is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D78KNtwfwN8

Cinemas have had a bit of renaissance recently with Oppenheimer, Barbie, Mission Impossible. Whether it'll last is another question.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Norman Fowler was speaking on R4 recently and cited Roy Jenkins as a great Home Secretary, and Jim Callaghan as a very good one. Both did huge amounts to improve the lives of many.

Kind of gives the lie to the notion of 'The Impossible Job'.
    Any politician going into a role thinking that is just a pointless timeserver not worthy of their office.

You should always be on the lookout for some way to improve things, even in small, unflashy ways, and there will be tons of opportunities. Sure, there will be disasters you can do little but stave off as best you can, and sure, cocky, arrogant MPs with inflated ideas of their own brilliance can mess things up a lot, but you should have at least some vision and ministerial ambition.

It's why many people give Gove some credit in that he at least tries to do things beyond simple headline grabbing or avoiding scandal, even if his execution is wonky.
  • Options
    If people are still not into gaming I will have to recommend once more Hatoful Boyfriend, the post-apocalyptic dating simulator (or visual novel, as its 'gameplay' is described) about a human high schooler and sentient pigeons who now rule the world, with a side order of dark mysteries including potential murder.

(Look, no-one is going to deny the Japanese market has not produced some weird shit)
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,762
    viewcode said:

But, but, Troy "you're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off" Kennedy Martin has been dead for years.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Enfield is brilliant as the coroner. Did you see him in S2E04 - Tale of the Tail, trying to keep a straight face above a pair of bare buttocks with a squirrels tail hanging out of it? Alice Etches is good as the sex mad post lady too.
  • Options

viewcode said:

But, but, Troy "you're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off" Kennedy Martin has been dead for years.
    Indeed. The film has been in development hell since the Noughties. I presume he wrote (a version of) the script before his death in 2009, as it would be difficult for him to write it afterwards
  • Options

viewcode said:

Enfield is brilliant as the coroner. Did you see him in S2E04 - Tale of the Tail, trying to keep a straight face above a pair of bare buttocks with a squirrels tail hanging out of it? Alice Etches is good as the sex mad post lady too.
    She's good (I forgot her name), but Enfield's a bit of an acquired taste, veering into caricature a bit too often. Remember his appearance opposite Jennifer Saunders as the Dowager Duchess in S09E10? They made each other worse if you ask me. But he can be heartbreaking when he underplays, as in the scene where Petey Whittakers (Richard Lumsden) died in the composter.
  • Options
    On topic. No.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,383
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kjh said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Was that English?

Me neither, except the hex based games of Joni Nuutinen, which take me back in time.

They are just a sink of time.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Play Civ3 instead
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,383
    On topic. Johnson won't want to be an MP in this Parliament, but the next one is possible. Maybe the leader after the one after Sunak.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Lovely warm early autumn weather here in the Maconnais where we’re at the place for some building site meetings, notary palavas and a silver wedding anniversary weekend at Chateau de Bagnols just south in Beaujolais.

8th warmest summer on record for the UK. 33rd warmest for central England in a series going back more than 350 years. Not bad, even though it felt so. We forget just how shit the long term average British weather is.

Have to admit I am surprised about that. Lincolnshire ha definitely been a lot coller this summer than any I can remember in the last decade at least. Only a single night when it was actually reasonably warm. I judge these things based on the suitability for moth trapping and I have had very few good nights this year as far as warm temperatures go. I am hoping for a warmer September so I can get a better handle on how the moth numbers are looking compared to previous years.
  • Options
    TimS said:

It has no dog in the foreground and therefore I cannot estimate scale.
  • Options
    Peter Hitchens must be delighted that e-scooters have been banned in Paris.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

She's good (I forgot her name), but Enfield's a bit of an acquired taste, veering into caricature a bit too often. Remember his appearance opposite Jennifer Saunders as the Dowager Duchess in S09E10? They made each other worse if you ask me. But he can be heartbreaking when he underplays, as in the scene where Petey Whittakers (Richard Lumsden) died in the composter.
    Alice Etches, obviously not a real name, I think we are supposed to say “does she?”

She is good in the Bingo adverts, and in werewolf too. I’d quite fancy her for myself, if I could see passed the moustache.

https://vimeo.com/402194375
  • Options
    viewcode said:

TimS said:

Cherchez le chien.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Yes, agreed.

What Civ VI needs more of is scenarios, like WW2 or WW3 etc.

It has a couple, like the Black Death or Rise of Alexander the Great, but that doesn't quite cut it.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Could BJ come back?

Yes

Is it likely?

No

The following would all need to happen:

(1) A byelection in a winnable seat
    (2) BJ chosen as the candidate
    (3) BJ to win said byelection
    (4) MPs to submit enough letters for a VoNC
    (5) The VoNC to pass
    (6) Johnson to run and to get into the top two
    (7) Johnson to win with members

Now... I'm confident about 7. And 1 is pretty certain too.

But the rest. Phew. That's a hard call. Can't say I'm tempted by a 7% chance.

This.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

And this is fantasy.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,697
    HYUFD said:

No, he's saying they might just be mad enough to try it.

• Options

MaxPB said:

Yes, agreed.

It has a couple, like the Black Death or Rise of Alexander the Great, but that doesn't quite cut it.
    Couldn't they crowdsource scenarios ?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,733
    A QTWTAIN if ever there was one.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Yes, agreed.

Civ IV was the best: sometimes sequels aren’t better.

Didn’t the same guy go off and create Old World, which is def worth a look?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

TimS said:

I’m in northern France tonight and it’s definitely got warmer through the night. And they said yesterday started with torrential rain, too. Enjoy the last of summer, coming your way very soon…

The dog is asleep and temporarily unavailable for scaling work right now.
  • Options
    ITV 4? You must have been seriously bored.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    HYUFD said:

Especially since he wasn’t noticeably bothered with it back when he was actually supposed to be doing it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The only way Boris comes back now is if Rishi and Hunt lead the Tories to a landslide defeat. Boris says 'told you so', a new Opposition leader takes over who proves a dud and the party begs him to give up his life of Mail columns, country mansion dinner parties, speechmaking for vast sums (and maybe discreetly bonking the local barmaids) and come back in an uber safe seat to lead the Opposition to a Starmer government
    Top marks for imagination, but a fail for not reading the question.

The 7% in the OP relates to leader at the next election.
  • Options
    edited September 2023

TimS said:

Have to admit I am surprised about that. Lincolnshire ha definitely been a lot coller this summer than any I can remember in the last decade at least. Only a single night when it was actually reasonably warm. I judge these things based on the suitability for moth trapping and I have had very few good nights this year as far as warm temperatures go. I am hoping for a warmer September so I can get a better handle on how the moth numbers are looking compared to previous years.
    I think you’ve had the worst of it in Lincs this year. I remember back in June when we had those unbroken weeks of hot sunshine, very often the morning weather forecast would finish with “except the Lincs coast, which will be under cloud with a cold breeze from the North Sea”.

Still, at least you have the consultation of living in the murk surrounded by all your Brexit chums…. ;)
  • Options
    Sunrise…

• Options
    Can someone remind an idiot (me) how to post photos ?

I plead jet lag in my defence.

• Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,236
    IanB2 said:

TimS said:

I think you’ve had the worst of it in Lincs this year. I remember back in June when we had those unbroken weeks of hot sunshine, very often the morning weather forecast would finish with “except the Lincs coast, which will be under cloud with a cold breeze from the North Sea”.

Still, at least you have the consultation of
    living in the murk surrounded by all your Brexit chums…. ;)
    I also have a suspicion this summer’s scored very poorly on the weekend:weekday good weather ratio, especially in July and August. Many days around 25-26C in the SE during the working week and some stinkers at the weekend. I must have a go at the calculations.

The GFS model has UK maxes above 25C for 9 consecutive days coming up, and above 30C for 5 days from this Wednesday. If it happens it’s going to be a shock to the system.
This discussion has been closed.