Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Quickie survey: Make your Wythenshawe second place predicti

SystemSystem Posts: 11,016
edited February 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Quickie survey: Make your Wythenshawe second place predictions here

politicalbetting.com is proudly powered by WordPress
with "Neat!" theme. Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UKIP, hopefully.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    Kippers, gay floods and all. ;)
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Twenty eight votes and one post!

I gave a vote of thanks to Graham Jones MP for his first post on PB.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    AveryLP said:

Vote early. Vote often.
  • Options
    UK storms: hurricane-force winds wreak chaos as floods continue

More than 50,000 people without power supplies as hundred-mile an hour winds prompt Met Office warnings

Hundred-mile an hour winds buffeted Wales on Wednesday, leaving more than 50,000 people without power supplies, and caused chaos on the road and rail networks in north west England.

A high of 108mph was recorded in Aberdaron, as the Met Office issued a rare red warning for Wales and north-west England, indicating people should take action because the winds were so strong that there was a likely risk to life.

As more weather-related misery overwhelmed the country on the back of the devastating flooding, a Met Office forecaster, Kirk Waite, said: "Red warnings are a very rare thing for us to issue. We only issue them when we do think there is a need to take action to preserve life." He said the last such warning was issued due to snow in January last year.

Waite added the winds were expected to die down in England and Wales overnight on Wednesday and during the day on Thursday – but he went on to warn that there would be fresh problems in the shape of wintry showers which would bring a risk of ice.

Rain and strong winds are then expected to return on Friday and likely to exacerbate flooding in areas already affected – as the level on the river Severn in Worcestershire reached what was thought to be a record while the Thames reached levels not seen since 1967 in places.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/feb/12/uk-storms-hurricaine-force-winds-floods-crisis

• Options
    AveryLP said:

Intriguing that a Party Whip is posting......

• Options
    Several days ago I Tweeted the following prediction...
    Lab 50%
    UKIP 23%
    Tory 15%
    Lib Dem <5%

That was in an expectation of a UKIP surge this week which has not happened.

Living in the constituency I have seen loads of Labour out and about, knocking on doors, the BNP have been rooted outside Asda in Wythenshawe and there has been the odd UKIP van driving around and leaflet through the letter box.

It really would not surprise me if the Tories beat UKIP here, possible quite easily.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815

AveryLP said:

Just keeping an eye on Nick Palmer I suspect.

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Mr Pork - you're not the only one with inclement weather, unfortunately.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

Several days ago I Tweeted the following prediction...
    Lab 50%
    UKIP 23%
    Tory 15%
    Lib Dem <5%

Living in the constituency I have seen loads of Labour out and about, knocking on doors, the BNP have been rooted outside Asda in Wythenshawe and there has been the odd UKIP van driving around and leaflet through the letter box.

It really would not surprise me if the Tories beat UKIP here, possible quite easily.</p>

According to the Ashcroft poll, UKIP are second only to Labour in their activity in the by-election.

twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/431670386523398145/photo/1
  • Options
    smithersjones2013smithersjones2013 Posts: 740
    edited February 2014
    and there has been the odd UKIP van driving around and leaflet through the letter box.

Hmmmmmm?

The party says it has had between 40 and 50 campaigners coming up every day. Farage himself has visited twice and will return next week for another day of campaigning and for the count, although he appears to be being used as much as a magnet for the party members, who love him, to travel from Falmouth, Inverness and the Isle of Wight to knock on doors. Neil and Christine Hamilton will visit on Monday.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/02/on-the-road-with-ukip-in-the-common-sense-battle-bus/

Intriguing that on the eve of poll Labour are out talking down UKIP.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    My prediction for the by-election:

Lab: 11,923 (54.1%)
    UKIP: 4,572 (20.7%)
    Con: 3,630 (16.5%)
    LD: 1,084 (4.9%)
    BNP: 489 (2.2%)
    Green: 244 (1.1%)
    Loony: 115 (0.5%)

Lab, maj: 7,351 (33.3%)

Changes:

Lab: +10.0%
    UKIP: +17.3%
    Con: -9.1%
    LD: -17.4%
    BNP: -1.7%
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    FPT

You don't need barcodes you just need people who know who the people with postal votes are in their local ward.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Of kipper activists?

That's surprising. They almost certainly aren't that well organised in a safe labour seat but they must have a presence. I doubt all kipper boasts about membership numbers are false

Of course this is going to matter quite a bit too.
    Stephen Doughty ‏@SDoughtyMP 2h

Slightly damp and blown dry after leafleting in stormy weather for @mjpkane in #wythenshawe this eve... pic.twitter.com/vNn7YoFO1O

Daniel Dudley ‏@Daniel14Dudley 1h

If this weather is anything to go by, nobody will be going out to vote in the Wythenshawe and Sale East By-Election tomorrow!

Ian Crompton ‏@iancmufc 3h

Scenes in Wythenshawe, Manchester. This weather is insane! pic.twitter.com/bdK1OKI8nT
  • Options

and there has been the odd UKIP van driving around and leaflet through the letter box.

Hmmmmmm?

The party says it has had between 40 and 50 campaigners coming up every day. Farage himself has visited twice and will return next week for another day of campaigning and for the count, although he appears to be being used as much as a magnet for the party members, who love him, to travel from Falmouth, Inverness and the Isle of Wight to knock on doors. Neil and Christine Hamilton will visit on Monday.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/02/on-the-road-with-ukip-in-the-common-sense-battle-bus/

Who is 'Labour'?

Interesting mind set you have.

I am not in anyway affiliated to any party, just a passing interest in politics who lives in Sale East.

As I said, Labour have knocked on my door several times, I have met Mike Kane.

I have not seen anyone from UKIP other than driving passed me in their purple vans.

I have seen Eddy Sulivan from the BNP several times in Wythenshawe outside Asda.

If you do not like the reality of my experiences here over the last several weeks don't shoot the messenger.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Sun_Politics: YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead now seven points: CON 32%, LAB 39%, LD 8%, UKIP 13%
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Mr Pork - you're not the only one with inclement weather, unfortunately.

Where I am it's nothing really but I take your point as it's everywhere right now.

Damian Carrington ‏@dpcarrington 4h

VIDEO The Atlantic storm factory in action, hitting UK and western Europe - satellite animation http://gu.com/p/3mkzf/tw via @guardian

Kátia Luisa Baptista ‏@KatiaLuisa 1m

"@CP24: Ice storm across US knocks out power to 350,000 http://www.cp24.com/world/ice-storm-across-u-s-south-knocks-out-power-to-350-000-homes-businesses-1.1682449#ixzz2t99zUOub …" looks like ice storms are popular this winter #SoDangerous
  • Options
    LAB YouGov/Sun lead moves to 7%
    CON 32%
    LAB 39%
    LD 8%
    UKIP 13%
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    Scott_P said:

Sun_Politics: YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead now seven points: CON 32%, LAB 39%, LD 8%, UKIP 13%

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Observer/Pix/pictures/2010/1/8/1262962773146/goal-hanging-squirrel-001.jpg
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The LDs seem to be going thru a bit of a low with polls. Is one of the LD ministers responsible for sunshine?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,915
    edited February 2014
    From a Labour pressure group website...

Wasn't me that wrote it, honest...

Labour cannot duck the issue of immigration

"The ‘Mrs Duffy’ moment was so damaging to Labour in 2010 because it encapsulated a fear that had been building for years: that New Labour looked down its nose at people who were worried about immigration. Labour won few votes among those who saw immigration as their most important issue, but it lost plenty among people who felt the party disdained their views....

Immigration is a vortex issue: it sucks in concerns about housing, wages, benefits, jobs, public services, community cohesion and crime. Recent European immigration creates a new set of issues as young workers expecting to be here for a short period of time compete with tradespeople trying to support families in Britain in the midst of a cost of living crisis. "

http://www.progressonline.org.uk/2014/02/07/the-immigration-vortex/
  • Options

Hmmmmmm?

Who is 'Labour'?

Interesting mind set you have.

I am not in anyway affiliated to any party, just a passing interest in politics who lives in Sale East.

As I said, Labour have knocked on my door several times, I have met Mike Kane.

I have not seen anyone from UKIP other than driving passed me in their purple vans.

I have seen Eddy Sulivan from the BNP several times in Wythenshawe outside Asda.

If you do not like the reality of my experiences here over the last several weeks don't shoot the messenger.
    Another manchester poster reported more activity from UKIP than Labour. Perhaps they're both nursing target wards?

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/211459/#Comment_211459
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Interestingly Ladbrokes have 20-30% as the favourite for UKIP's %. Interesting that the 'consensus' (or as near as we have) of the forecasts are a good few % away from the only poll.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Changes:

That's a heroically precise prediction!
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Interestingly Ladbrokes have 20-30% as the favourite for UKIP's %. Interesting that the 'consensus' (or as near as we have) of the forecasts are a good few % away from the only poll.

Jonathan Arnott (@JonathanArnott)
    06/02/2014 19:45
    Ashcroft's by-election polls this Parliament have understated UKIP by 1%,2%,8%,11%,13% and 7%. So what does the Wythenshawe 15% really mean
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Just saw this -

attorneys demand billions from 'big food' (read: McDonalds, Burger King, Wendys etc) to fight obesity.

The lead attorney's name. Yep, it's McDonald.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/02/food-industry-obesity-health-care-costs-103390.html
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I'd have thought the critical thing for Ukip from the by-election is whether or not they can manage to recombine the two chunks of the Tory vote up north that split in the 80s and seal themselves in as the official opposition in Lab heartlands.

edit: "Tory" here used as in small c conservative not Tory as PR company for the City
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Good day for wind farm output. not.

How many of the windmills have been damaged?

Cameron producing the serious statesman's scowl for the cameras. Now Toenails adding triumvirate of Alexander, Balls and Osborne working out the price of Salmond.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    isam said:

Quincel said:

Jonathan Arnott (@JonathanArnott)
    06/02/2014 19:45
    Ashcroft's by-election polls this Parliament have understated UKIP by 1%,2%,8%,11%,13% and 7%. So what does the Wythenshawe 15% really mean
    I entirely agree, and the fact we only have one poll is significant. But it's still noteworthy I guess that on this occasion we broadly are willing to trust our instincts this much beyond the polling data, even if the minimal polling data and strong other indications are why.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    McClatchey-Marist 2016 GOP nomination

•Chris Christie 13% {16%} [18%] (15%)
    •Mike Huckabee 13%
    •Marco Rubio 12% {7%} [7%] (12%)
    •Paul Ryan 9% {12%} [11%] (13%)
    •Rand Paul 9% {9%} [12%] (9%)
    •Jeb Bush 8% {8%} [10%] (10%)
    •Sarah Palin 8%
    •Scott Walker 7% {4%} [4%] (2%)

General Election

•Hillary Clinton (D) 52% {56%} [53%]
    •Paul Ryan (R) 44% {40%} [37%]

•Hillary Clinton (D) 58% (50%) {48%} [47%] (46%)
    •Chris Christie (R) 37% (37%) {45%} [41%] (43%)

•Hillary Clinton (D) 62% {59%}
    •Sarah Palin (R) 35% {36%}
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,330
    AndyJS said:

Changes:

Looks plausible, but I suspect the LD share will be even lower, and the Tories a bit higher. I have no inside info, but I'll have a stab: Lab 57, UKIP 18, Con 18, LD 3, BNP 2, Green 1, Loony 0.2. As I've said, a problem for non-Labour parties is that it's near to Manchester, and that's a Labour fortress packed with activists, though there should be some LibDems still left. If you're a keen Tory or UKIP supporter in, say, Surrey, it's quite a trek. Eastleigh gave Labour the same problem.

Scott_P said:

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Observer/Pix/pictures/2010/1/8/1262962773146/goal-hanging-squirrel-001.jpg
    Ah yes, that's the results from the day when a bystander ticking off Ed shifted millions of votes, eh? If the floods are having a political effect at all, it's not visible to the naked eye so far, except perhaps a slight weakening for the Tories.

• Options
    UKIP need to get cuter about the managing expectations game. It's not obvious they'll finish second and if they don't, they'll be seen to have underperformed in a constituency where they had no track record.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton · 54 secs
    Areas hit by flooding account for 13% of output. Could be big hit to GDP.

Lefties really are looking for some bad news.

• Options
    edited February 2014

AndyJS said:

Changes:

Looks plausible, but I suspect the LD share will be even lower, and the Tories a bit higher. I have no inside info, but I'll have a stab: Lab 57, UKIP 18, Con 18, LD 3, BNP 2, Green 1, Loony 0.2. As I've said, a problem for non-Labour parties is that it's near to Manchester, and that's a Labour fortress packed with activists, though there should be some LibDems still left. If you're a keen Tory or UKIP supporter in, say, Surrey, it's quite a trek. Eastleigh gave Labour the same problem.

Scott_P said:

Ah yes, that's the results from the day when a bystander ticking off Ed shifted millions of votes, eh? If the floods are having a political effect at all, it's not visible to the naked eye so far, except perhaps a slight weakening for the Tories.

The by stander was a Tory MP no?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ed-miliband-labelled-flood-tourist-3134358
  • Options

AveryLP said:

I'm still waiting for an answer to my question, I dare say he's waiting to see what the party line is before answering
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    antifrank said:

UKIP need to get cuter about the managing expectations game. It's not obvious they'll finish second and if they don't, they'll be seen to have underperformed in a constituency where they had no track record.

I disagree. Managing the press after a by-election is less important to them. It's more important to suggest they're the alternative before the election in a FPTP system.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Changes:

That's a heroically precise prediction!
    The holy grail for me would be to get a prediction right within 500 votes or maybe 1-2% for each of the parties. I hope it happens eventually!
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Farage said under 10% was bad, over 15% was "very, very very good"

seems fair enough

It's others that are setting them up for a fall
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    It often gets me in trouble with Mr Moderator, so all I will say is that the giving out of the NHS contracts to Tory donors is quiet obviously a complete and utter coincidence.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/fury-tory-party-donors-handed-3123469

Though I have to say that The Mirror is at least two years behind * ahem * Red Rag:

http://redrag1.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/red-rag-meet-lansleys-friends-who-are.html

http://redrag1.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/red-rag-buying-yourself-hospitaltory.html
  • Options
    Wythenshawe election game predictions

Many thanks and good luck to everyone who took part - detailed predictions are on the site:

http://www.electiongame.co.uk/

Nearly everyone predicted a Labour win, there were 3 predictions for UKIP, and the average prediction was for a Labour majority of 7,312.

Cheers,

DC
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    The flood's the major story from now on so even if the kippers do get a half-decent second nobody will care that much. Of course they won't care about the labour win either but it's a safe labour seat so the media were hardly going to go big on that anyway.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

If UKIP don't talk themselves up as the Next Big Thing, they're not a story.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    More on plebgate on the front of the Times.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    So the private equity behind Circle health are supporters of the Tories? Surely the fact that Circle were awarded most of their contracts by Labour should give pause for thought. Indeed Andy Burnham signed off a few of them!

It often gets me in trouble with Mr Moderator, so all I will say is that the giving out of the NHS contracts to Tory donors is quiet obviously a complete and utter coincidence.

Though I have to say that The Mirror is at least two years behind * ahem * Red Rag:

http://redrag1.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/red-rag-meet-lansleys-friends-who-are.html

• Options
    In case no one's mentioned it, Ladbrokes have turnout under 35% at 5/6 which I think may represent value, especially if there's bad weather tomorrow....
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,944
    Carola said:

You trust what the police have to say on this? Really?

Smells like a typical CYA operation.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Carola said:

Yup. Leaked E-mail now.

Indy front page is fairly bizarre given the weather but I suppose they had to run it now to coincide with the conference tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

So the private equity behind Circle health are supporters of the Tories? Surely the fact that Circle were awarded most of their contracts by Labour should give pause for thought. Indeed Andy Burnham signed off a few of them!

That is why I stated it was a complete and utter coincidence that some of them that were given the contracts and it had absolutely nothing to do with the money they were giving to the Conservative Party, nothing to do with one of the people who helped draw up the Bill also ended up tendering for the services included in the Bill for his company and absolutely nothing at all to do with Tory MP who was on one of the tendering companies payroll.
  • Options

Carola said:

Er... when did I say that, exactly?
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Phillip Hammond getting chewed up and spat out on Newsnight.

Yes he is, isn't he? Not good.
  • Options
    George Pascoe-Watson ‏@GPW_Portland · 23 secs
    There is zero to be won by Philip Hammond taking incoming from a @BBCNewsnight audience.

• Options
    FPT

Seriously, it can't be long before a Sky News reporter gets washed or blown into a river or the sea. What's the point?

It would be a shame if just as Crick and Channel 4 got round to giving Hancock the "Bloom" treatment they got swept out to sea or eaten by a giant mutated newt hatched in silted up Somerset drainage ditches.
  • Options

That is why I stated it was a complete and utter coincidence that some of them that were given the contracts and it had absolutely nothing to do with the money they were giving to the Conservative Party, nothing to do with one of the people who help draw up the Bill also ended tendering for the services for his company and absolutely nothing at all to do with Tory MP on the tendering companies payroll.
    Me neither.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

That is why I stated it was a complete and utter coincidence that some of them that were given the contracts and it had absolutely nothing to do with the money they were giving to the Conservative Party, nothing to do with one of the people who help draw up the Bill also ended tendering for the services for his company and absolutely nothing at all to do with Tory MP on the tendering companies payroll.

Here is a story from a very reputable newspaper

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/6989408/Andrew-Lansley-bankrolled-by-private-healthcare-provider.html

Yet another complete and err...utter coincidence.
  • Options
    Carola said:

Carola said:

You linked to the front page. ;-)

There's only one proven liar on this whole affair so far, and that was a police officer. Given the previous leaking of the police log now looks exceptionally bogus, I treat this with similar disdain.
  • Options
    Cameroons won't blame the EU biodiversity targets or the EA for putting green issues before drainage so they're stuffed and look likely to get beasted to oblivion.
  • Options
    Damn. Not sure if it has already been mentioned but I just caught up with the news that Tony Benn is seriously ill in hospital.

I wish him all the very best. He may have been from the opposite end of the political spectrum to me but he is a man of great integrity and one of the best Parliamentarians of the 20th century and I do hope he makes a good recovery.
  • Options

Carola said:

Carola said:

You linked to the front page. ;-)

There's only one proven liar on this whole affair so far, and that was a police officer. Given the previous leaking of the police log now looks exceptionally bogus, I treat this with similar disdain.
    Actually I didn't.
  • Options
    Phil Hammond is to the floods what Avery LP is to polling predictions.
  • Options
    Jade Rabbit is officially dead.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26153520

In the meantime, Opportunity is still doing science, ten years into its 90-day mission, on the much harsher and more interesting Mars environment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opportunity_(rover)

USA 1, China 0. :-)
  • Options

Any politician on there would have it tough.

• Options

True. I am waiting for Phil to explain everything to them with yellow boxes.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

AveryLP said:

I'm still waiting for an answer to my question, I dare say he's waiting to see what the party line is before answering
    Maybe he's getting on with his job or even his life and never saw your question or your moaning about not having an answer to it?
  • Options

Gutsy for going on I thought. Though he did do that 'don't attack *our*' - armed forces, in this case - routine when someone said something that clearly wasn't attacking them. Hate that tactic.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Patricia Hewitt now works for Cinvin (owners of the Spire Hospitals) and Boots, both of which tender for NHS work:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7196420.stm

Hugh said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/6989408/Andrew-Lansley-bankrolled-by-private-healthcare-provider.html

• Options
    Carola said:

Gutsy for going on I thought. Though he did do that 'don't attack *our*' - armed forces, in this case - routine when someone said something that clearly wasn't attacking them. Hate that tactic.
    Agree.

• Options
    Times story (£):

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/article4004180.ece

I'VE LINKED TO IT NOW JJ. THAT MEANS I MUST AGREE WITH EVERYTHING IT SAYS.
  • Options

Ah, yes, I remember a poster here called RedRag who often complained about Tory donors winning a contract to run a hospital. Even though it was the last Labour government who made the decision to outsource the running of the hospital to the private sector.
  • Options
    Eh, Fox, you deleted that slight on Labour there.....what is all that about?
  • Options
    Carola said:

We must presume the Pickles is being safely deployed elsewhere as a sandbag. Hammond really did stick his foot in his mouth with that tosh about the army and you could tell the audience really despised that.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Carola said:

We must presume the Pickles is being safely deployed elsewhere as a sandbag. Hammond really did stick his foot in his mouth with that tosh about the army and you could tell the audience really despised that.
    Pickles was on the one show,answering Questions from people who were flooded.

• Options

Hugh said:

Like this one too:

THE scandal surrounding the award of a £32 million smallpox vaccine contract to a Labour Party donor grew last night after the Government's attempt to justify the deal was flatly contradicted by Britain's leading virologist.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1390812/Labour-claims-unravel-over-vaccine-deal.html
  • Options
    It was the clear policy of all three major English parties at the last election to increase the use of private companies in the NHS.

So we should not be surprised when this consensus policy is carried out, and remember that Burnham, Balls and Miliband were all in the cabinet that gave contracts to private health companies.

You are deluded if you think health policy will be different next time Burnham takes over.

Patricia Hewitt now works for Cinvin (owners of the Spire Hospitals) and Boots, both of which tender for NHS work:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7196420.stm

Hugh said:

I am with you Fox those companies gave hundreds of thousands of pounds to the Conservative Party voluntarily and it had absolutely nothing at all any way what so ever to do with winning contracts in the NHS....and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Something tells me I am about to be sent to the naughty step.

** Looks around for Mod ***
  • Options
    It was not me that deleted it.

Eh, Fox, you deleted that slight on Labour there.....what is all that about?

• Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    edited February 2014
    Compouter/FoxinSoxuk.

You're conversations have headed in a direction that have verged and probably are defamatory.

So please drop this topic. - This is not a polite request, this is an instruction.

Compouter, you have been previously warned about this.

In the past, we've had to go through the archives when defamatory comments, when the topic of donors, the NHS and circle health have been raised in the past.

We do not want a rerun.

http://www.greenbenchesuk.com/search?q=Circle+health
  • Options

Hugh said:

Like this one too:

THE scandal surrounding the award of a £32 million smallpox vaccine contract to a Labour Party donor grew last night after the Government's attempt to justify the deal was flatly contradicted by Britain's leading virologist.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1390812/Labour-claims-unravel-over-vaccine-deal.html
    I'm starting to get the feeling that they're all as bad as each other ;)
  • Options
    Email in Times in full:

The leaked details of encounter between Mitchell & police on night before 'Plebgate', in full http://thetim.es/Mdw6FR pic.twitter.com/U6563Cp46t
  • Options

It was the clear policy of all three major English parties at the last election to increase the use of private companies in the NHS.

Indeed, if you are very strongly against private sector companies running NHS hospitals then dont vote Tory or Lib Dem or Labour. And if you really dont like seeing private donors to political parties subsequently winning government contracts then dont vote Tory or Labour.

Unfortunately however you vote Tory or Labour are going to win so you cant actually stop either of these things.
  • Options
    *** Sits in corner, playing with thumbs ***
  • Options

Mick_Pork said:

Carola said:

My mistake. The lions den it was then.
    Steve Kilner ‏@1StevieKilner 4h

You can keep ya #KayBurley, what this country really needs now is Eric Pickles & Shane Richie #weather #oneshow #FML pic.twitter.com/NdKrjvsv3Q
  • Options

Damn. Not sure if it has already been mentioned but I just caught up with the news that Tony Benn is seriously ill in hospital.

I wish him all the very best. He may have been from the opposite end of the political spectrum to me but he is a man of great integrity and one of the best Parliamentarians of the 20th century and I do hope he makes a good recovery.

Hear hear Richard - while you probably would have agreed only on Europe, some things transcend politics. Your post does you enormous credit.
  • Options
    I have made no criticism of Circle Health, just pointed out that they have gained contracts from both the Coalition govt and the last Labour one.

They area reasonably well run company, who used to run the ISTC's in Nottingham and Burton. They do quite good work, significantly better than some other companies.

But I shall end there.

Compouter/FoxinSoxuk.

You're conversations have headed in a direction that have verged and probably are defamatory.

So please drop this topic. - This is not a polite request, this is an order.

Compouter, you have been previously warned about this.

In the past, we've had to go through the archives when defamatory comments, when the topic of donors, the NHS and circle health have been raised in the past.

We do not want a rerun.

http://www.greenbenchesuk.com/search?q=Circle+health

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

Carola said:

You can keep ya #KayBurley, what this country really needs now is Eric Pickles & Shane Richie #weather #oneshow #FML pic.twitter.com/NdKrjvsv3Q
    With people who were flooded,never easy.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Andrew Teale has penned a typically forensic piece on the Wythenshawe by-election:

http://blog.englishelections.org.uk/2014/02/by-election-preview-wythenshawe-and.html
  • Options

Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

Carola said:

Is it me or has Pickles put on a few pounds?
  • Options

Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

Carola said:

Still somewhat easier than actually being the people who were flooded though.
    So you'll forgive me for not crying to many tears for Pickles considering that even the chumocracy seemed to be less than happy with his performance lately. Drafted from the subs bench or not.
  • Options

In case no one's mentioned it, Ladbrokes have turnout under 35% at 5/6 which I think may represent value, especially if there's bad weather tomorrow....

Also depends on how many postal ballots have already been returned.

• Options
    A friend of mine was waiting in the rain in London in the eighties, when Tony Benn came out of an office and got into a car. He offered her a lift to the train station. She had a pleasant chat with him on the journey.

For all his odd politics, I believe him a genuinely kind and humble individual. I hope he gets well soon.

My Brother once shared a vehicle with Gordon Brown at about the same time, but was less than impressed!

Hear hear Richard - while you probably would have agreed only on Europe, some things transcend politics. Your post does you enormous credit.
  • Options
    I expect a turnout of about 30%.
  • Options
    EU wants NHS privatized so other EU countries can bid for chunks - like they obviously would and same reason as Royal Mail. The political class are all lying about it as usual.

Altercations at the gate before the plebgate incident - who'd a thunk it.

choccy biscuit time
  • Options
    Carola said:

Is it just me or is Plebgate the most esoteric, dull, politics story ever? Does anyone care either way any more? It has dragged on for what seems like an eternity
  • Options
    East Coast train from London to Edinburgh stranded on North Yorkshire Moors.

BBC's Alan Little is on the train, talking to BBC News channel.
  • Options

Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

Carola said:

First photo is of pickles leader of the cons on Bradford council and 2nd photo is pickles now ;-)

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/7ZBUdPkHJos/hqdefault.jpg

• Options

Carola said:

Is it just me or is Plebgate the most esoteric, dull, politics story ever? Does anyone care either way any more? It has dragged on for what seems like an eternity
    It's tough to care any more (or frankly even at the start) but it's surely interesting to know how far some police officers will go to fit up even a Cabinet member and there are also the various betting implications. As to how rude Mitchell was to the police in the first place, who cares.
  • Options

A friend of mine was waiting in the rain in London in the eighties, when Tony Benn came out of an office and got into a car. He offered her a lift to the train station. She had a pleasant chat with him on the journey.

For all his odd politics, I believe him a genuinely kind and humble individual. I hope he gets well soon.

My Brother once shared a vehicle with Gordon Brown at about the same time, but was less than impressed!

I suspect, because they are kindred spirits on Europe, Richard T and Benn would have found more to agree on than I would with Benn. Yet I met him once and found him to be a kind and engaging individual with a great interest in others. I hope he gets well soon, and I suspect others on this thread will join me in that.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Mick Pork posted - Still somewhat easier than actually being the people who were flooded though

No it isn't,but you were making a point that he wasn't going into the lions den because some silly tweet you posted.
  • Options

Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

Carola said:

First photo is of pickles leader of the cons on Bradford council and 2nd photo is pickles now ;-)

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/7ZBUdPkHJos/hqdefault.jpg

Mod, I would advise that this post is taken down just in case the site is taken to court by Jabba the Hut for defamation of character ;-)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,915
    Cack did I miss theelection game deadline :/ ?
This discussion has been closed.