Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Trump and the cult – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,825
edited August 2023 in General
Trump and the cult – politicalbetting.com

Trump voters believe Trump is more likely to tell them the truth than their friends and family. Again: to understand the modern GOP, you need to understand what an authoritarian cult of personality is, because that’s what it has become. pic.twitter.com/Dzi2lbs4XB

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,596
    Seconds away...
  • Options
    How Reddit armchair detectives threatened to derail Lucy Letby’s trial

True crime enthusiasts broke restrictions on the reporting of names of victims and witnesses while online campaigners insist serial killer is innocent and question ‘circumstantial’ evidence

Armchair detectives threatened to derail the trial of Lucy Letby after attending almost daily and posting details on Reddit that were in contempt of court.

The trial, and a podcast relaying what was happening in court, generated enormous interest in the case and led to a maelstrom of comments online.

True crime enthusiasts were a regular presence at the trial, watching proceedings remotely from an annexe where the public gallery was situated.

All of those who attended the trial were made to sign a document saying they understood that there was an order restricting the reporting of names of victims and their parents, as well as some witnesses.

However, these restrictions were sometimes broken in threads on Reddit, the online discussion forum. It is understood that witnesses flagged this to the company, which then removed the offending posts.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/lucy-letby-trial-reddit-post-vgmc0w0k8
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,392
    He's not the Messiah, he's a very nasty boy.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,596
    Interesting tangent on US Elections.

There are a number of dodgy-looking state laws designed to make voting more restricted or more difficult in Republican states, which are under legal challenge.

Enough occurrences to impact the balance of Congress, potentially.

An example aiui is a law in Georgia with a requirement for absentee ballots to bear the birthdate of the voter on the *outside* of the envelope, and another is that food and water cannot be given to people in a voting queue more than 150 feet from the polling place (a disincentive, given temperatures in Georgia?).

To me it seems weird, but it's what they do over there, and they will rise through the Court System.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,751

True crime enthusiasts broke restrictions on the reporting of names of victims and witnesses while online campaigners insist serial killer is innocent and question ‘circumstantial’ evidence

Armchair detectives threatened to derail the trial of Lucy Letby after attending almost daily and posting details on Reddit that were in contempt of court.

The trial, and a podcast relaying what was happening in court, generated enormous interest in the case and led to a maelstrom of comments online.

True crime enthusiasts were a regular presence at the trial, watching proceedings remotely from an annexe where the public gallery was situated.

All of those who attended the trial were made to sign a document saying they understood that there was an order restricting the reporting of names of victims and their parents, as well as some witnesses.

However, these restrictions were sometimes broken in threads on Reddit, the online discussion forum. It is understood that witnesses flagged this to the company, which then removed the offending posts.

I understand the point, but for a British newspaper to complain of irresponsible reportage reeks of hypocrisy. Were they disapproving the action or jealous that they weren't allowed to join in?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,281
    Even if Trump does not win the GOP nomination or is convicted and the RNC change the rules to prevent a convicted criminal being their candidate he has enough support to run as an Independent and get 20-25% of the vote even if no chance of winning the Presidency again
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,786
    In the UK, Corbyn was (and is) a cult.

Johnson was a rather nebulous cult, which is why his support dwindled after even the dimmest of the dim could see he was not the Messiah, but a naughty boy.

Trump is in the Corbyn mould, and yet another example of horseshoe (and horsesh*t) politics.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,305

I hope they let her out to go on Strictly this year. Ratings sensation.
  • Options

Johnson was a rather nebulous cult, which is why his support dwindled after even the dimmest of the dim could see he was not the Messiah, but a naughty boy.

Trump is in the Corbyn mould, and yet another example of horseshoe (and horsesh*t) politics.

Really, I wish people would be more careful about typing errors. Seeing people write 'cult' all the time because they can't find the 'n' key is getting irritating.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,598

Politics is well supplied with utter cults.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,289
    viewcode said:

I understand the point, but for a British newspaper to complain of irresponsible reportage reeks of hypocrisy. Were they disapproving the action or jealous that they weren't allowed to join in?
    This is unfair about mainstream media court reporting. They are properly cautious about reporting court stuff. Not least because they don't specially want to go to prison.

The problem with the internet thingy of course is that people can, without much personal risk and behind anonymity, break all the rules, providing unlawful and unfair but massively readable stuff the news media can't.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Politics is well supplied with utter cults.
    You don't need a Massive Hunt for them, that's for sure.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,319
    HYUFD said:

Even if Trump does not win the GOP nomination or is convicted and the RNC change the rules to prevent a convicted criminal being their candidate he has enough support to run as an Independent and get 20-25% of the vote even if no chance of winning the Presidency again

Would he want to, though?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

If he were sane, no. But - sanity and Donald Trump have not been friends for some time.

He might just be deluded enough to think he can still win.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,751
    edited August 2023
    FPT
    Taz said:
    Thanks @Taz. If he gets exiled to a repurposed English country house in the 1970s (or 1980s depending on dating convention) I will laugh myself stupid... :)
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,319
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

If he were sane, no. But - sanity and Donald Trump have not been friends for some time.

If he did, and was heavily defeated, how would he explain it away?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

I wasn't heavily defeated. I won by the biggest landslide ever. It was beautiful. WITCH HUNT.
  • Options
    USA trials are much more fussy about jury selection than UK ones. The process can go on for days.

How, I wonder, is anyone going to find 12 (if it's 12) people who qualify to sit on Trump trials who qualify thus:

They are sentient
    Have an IQ over 75
    Have no prior prejudices or bias either for or against Trump.

It is almost impossible to believe there is a group of people who are able to understand the trial process and have the capacity to enter the process without bias.

I am a fairly sensible rational centrist. I am already sure he is guilty of more or less anything of which there is credible evidence to be presented and that any defences will be lies.

Trumpians, mutatis mutandis, will feel the same way.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

It was the Martians.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 2,003
    edited August 2023
    I bring important news: advising people to stay hydrated is now woke, according to the Evening Standard.

https://twitter.com/EveningStandard/status/1694595867288674392
  • Options
    Phil said:

I bring important news: advising people to stay hydrated is now woke, according to the Evening Standard.

Bloody wets, they get everywhere.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,175
    Phil said:

Written by a former Lib Dem candidate, no less.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,123
    Taz said:

Phil said:

Ironic really, given that wokefinders of the 17th c liked to use excess quantities of water in their tests of purity, i.e the village pond.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

USA trials are much more fussy about jury selection than UK ones. The process can go on for days.

How, I wonder, is anyone going to find 12 (if it's 12) people who qualify to sit on Trump trials who qualify thus:

They are sentient
    Have an IQ over 75

It is almost impossible to believe there is a group of people who are able to understand the trial process and have the capacity to enter the process without bias.

I am a fairly sensible rational centrist. I am already sure he is guilty of more or less anything of which there is credible evidence to be presented and that any defences will be lies.

You're a sensible, rational centrist who has posted several thousand comments on a fairly niche political website. You're not typical in terms of degree of interest in political issues.

There are quite a lot of reasonably intelligent people who take little interest in politics. They may have a hunch one way or another on Trump's innocence or guilt, but don't feel strongly about it.

Remember, a third of Americans didn't vote in 2020 - and that was an exceptionally high turnout election. They weren't all half-wits - not having a very firm view on Trump, and not having taken enormous interest in political news, is less common in a polarised America, but isn't that rare.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Phil said:

Rachel Johnson has never been a Lib Dem candidate.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,627
    edited August 2023
    How he obtained such trust and enthusiasm is remarkable. It's way beyond ordinary polarised politics, his supporters are brutal even on people who share their views but disagree on him, or not even disagree but don't show him fealty.

He's so selfish and nastily obnoxious I'd have to believe in his politics a lot to put up with it myself, being a milksop.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,947
    On the first poll in the header, the fact that 71% of Trump voters believe what he tells them is true is pretty low. It means that 29% of Trump voters don't believe him, which is quite high.
    Of more interest is that only 63% of Trump voters believe what their friends and family tell them is true. I'd conclude that 37% of Trump voters have pretty dysfunctional families and friends.
  • Options

Taz said:

Phil said:

Change UK candidate.
  • Options
    Phil said:

Not everything stupid is woke, Evening Standard. There's overuse of a broadly used vague term, which happens all the time, and then there's just being silly.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,614

There is, thankfully, nothing and no-one remotely approaching Trump levels of cultishness in British politics.

Corbyn and Johnson still have their diehard supporters, of course, but they're utterly marginalised in comparison to the hold that Trump has on the GOP. Vast majority of people have moved on.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

They are sentient
    Have an IQ over 75

You're a sensible, rational centrist who has posted several thousand comments on a fairly niche political website. You're not typical in terms of degree of interest in political issues.

There are quite a lot of reasonably intelligent people who take little interest in politics. They may have a hunch one way or another on Trump's innocence or guilt, but don't feel strongly about it.

Remember, a third of Americans didn't vote in 2020 - and that was an exceptionally high turnout election. They weren't all half-wits - not having a very firm view on Trump, and not having taken enormous interest in political news, is less common in a polarised America, but isn't that rare.
    Hope you are right. I still think jury selection should be watched with interest.

My tentative view is that having a view on Trump disqualifies you for obvious reasons. Genuinely not having a view on Trump disqualifies you on other grounds.
  • Options

On the first poll in the header, the fact that 71% of Trump voters believe what he tells them is true is pretty low. It means that 29% of Trump voters don't believe him, which is quite high.
    Of more interest is that only 63% of Trump voters believe what their friends and family tell them is true. I'd conclude that 37% of Trump voters have pretty dysfunctional families and friends.

But his voters could be as high 48-52% of those who bother to vote. That's an awful lot to be so dysfunctional.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,561
    Lets face it, a lot of, well most, Republicans dont live in a real world of reason and facts but live in a world of faith, whether religious, political or demagogic Trumpism.

Look at the polling on climate - not what is causing the problems or how to respond, but matters of fact like simply is the climate changing and becoming more extreme and intense?

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/maui-wildfires-climate-change-public-opinion/

"But even on the question of whether the weather is getting more extreme, there are partisan differences. The April Ipsos poll, for example, found that only 51 percent of Republicans agree that unusual weather has gotten more frequent in their area over the past 10 years, compared to 85 percent of Democrats. Similarly, Republicans (44 percent) are less likely than Democrats (77 percent) to say that the weather has gotten more intense, with major divides in perception of how intense weather events like extreme heat and wildfires have become."

• Options
    You have got to feel a bit sorry for a 22 year old left arm spinner who has been hit for 24 runs in two overs.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,732
    edited August 2023
    algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

They are sentient
    Have an IQ over 75

Hope you are right. I still think jury selection should be watched with interest.

My tentative view is that having a view on Trump disqualifies you for obvious reasons. Genuinely not having a view on Trump disqualifies you on other grounds.
    Having a view on Trump isn't the same as being predetermined. It's perfectly possible Trump is an arsehole who isn't guilty of racketeering and conspiracy. I believe Trump's lawyer in Georgia is someone who has posted some negative stuff about him online in the past and no doubt he'll forcefully make the point that you don't have to like my client, you just need to weigh the evidence.

Very often, the defendent in a criminal case will be an unsympathetic character who it is easy to dislike. It's not surprising, when there's a murder, if suspicion falls on a petty criminal with a couple of convictions for beating his wife, who was too high to remember anything that happened on the night in question. That doesn't mean he did it, and often a defence lawyer will be making the point that their client is an appalling excuse for a human being but there's doubt that he did this particular thing.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,600

"But even on the question of whether the weather is getting more extreme, there are partisan differences. The April Ipsos poll, for example, found that only 51 percent of Republicans agree that unusual weather has gotten more frequent in their area over the past 10 years, compared to 85 percent of Democrats. Similarly, Republicans (44 percent) are less likely than Democrats (77 percent) to say that the weather has gotten more intense, with major divides in perception of how intense weather events like extreme heat and wildfires have become."

They don't believe it until something bad happens to them. When their home burns down, or their relative is hospitalised, or they lose power and end up sweating for days, then they'll believe it. It's not just ignorance, and I dare say the stats would baffle them, it's a lack of empathy. Which is why they support the sociopathic criminal moron Trump, when any half-decent person turns away from him.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

You have got to feel a bit sorry for a 22 year old left arm spinner who has been hit for 24 runs in two overs.

Why?
  • Options

Lets face it, a lot of, well most, Republicans dont live in a real world of reason and facts but live in a world of faith, whether religious, political or demagogic Trumpism.

Look at the polling on climate - not what is causing the problems or how to respond, but matters of fact like simply is the climate changing and becoming more extreme and intense?

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/maui-wildfires-climate-change-public-opinion/

I blame the aircon.
  • Options
    People who are amazed at Trump's popularity simply do not comprehend the visceral hatred that vast swathes of the country have for the ruling liberal/democratic elite.

Trump's popularity arises from his ability to connect with these people and their intense hatred. He's very good at it. Others have tried but with less success.

He has a way of communicating that convinces them that 'he is one of us'. He is nothing of the sort, of course, but they are so desperate to believe that here at last is a politican that speaks their language that he is able to pose as the true messiah, regardless of any evidence to the contrary.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Why?
    Actually, I was wrong.

It was 29 runs in two overs after a no-ball...

(The answer is, because his captain has stupidly put him on at the end with the short straight boundary to a left hander. Very poor tactics from Jennings.)
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

I blame the aircon.
    First it was the neo-cons, then the (bigliest ever) Trump con, and now its the aircon.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,213

People who are amazed at Trump's popularity simply do not comprehend the visceral hatred that vast swathes of the country have for the ruling liberal/democratic elite.

Trump's popularity arises from his ability to connect with these people and their intense hatred. He's very good at it. Others have tried but with less success.

He has a way of communicating that convinces them that 'he is one of us'. He is nothing of the sort, of course, but they are so desperate to believe that here at last is a politican that speaks their language that he is able to pose as the true messiah, regardless of any evidence to the contrary.

The evidence is helpfully suppplied by the ruling liberal/democratic elite themselves in the form of their hatred for Trump. The Trump phenomenon couldn't exist without it.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,411
    Many of them just want to own the libtards, and don't care what Trump does.
  • Options

Taz said:

Phil said:

In that case a former prospective Lib Dem candidate. She joined the party, and was toying with running as a candidate,
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Why?
    Actually, I was wrong.

It was 29 runs in two overs after a no-ball...

(The answer is, because his captain has stupidly put him on at the end with the short straight boundary to a left hander. Very poor tactics from Jennings.)
    Still no empathy here I'm afraid....wouldn't mind being 22 again, let alone 22 and a professional sportsman whose captain believes strongly in their ability......

29 in two overs is obviously not great but not particularly unusual.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Taz said:

Phil said:

Change UK candidate.
    Whatever happened to them ?

The centrist Dad party.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,662
    Carnyx said:

I blame the aircon.
    I blame the TGIIAAIs
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 2,003
    edited August 2023

It’s a two-way process I think - Trump is very gifted at both convincing this group that their problems are due to the liberal/democratic elite and that he is on their side & will cleanse a nation corrupted by that elite. Obviously this is a path that the Republican party has been travelling down for decades (at least since the Clinton administration under Newt Gingrich I might argue) but Trump took that tendency & turbo charged it into a machine that elevated him to the presidency & might do so again.

It’s both very impressive & deeply troubling to watch the radicalisation of such a large part of a nation in realtime.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I find it interesting, though, that it translates to a very high proportion saying he tells the truth. Not just that he's on my side, but that he's a pretty straight guy.

This is something that isn't unique to Trump, but it surprises me how few people say "he's a bastard but he's ultimately got my interests at heart and is playing a dirty game against other bastards who don't". It's a more credible position to take, but people don't like taking it.
  • Options
    Three more overs and Gloucestershire will have won.

Fingers crossed the rain holds off...
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,600
    edited August 2023

The evidence is helpfully suppplied by the ruling liberal/democratic elite themselves in the form of their hatred for Trump. The Trump phenomenon couldn't exist without it.

It's not only liberals that hate Trump, many of his prominent GOP "supporters" are on record slating him before 2016 and after 2020, and even some in between. They all know what he's like, that he's not fit for office. They supported Trump as a vehicle to gain power, and now they are terrified to challenge him openly. They are cowards.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

I blame the aircon.
    First it was the neo-cons, then the (bigliest ever) Trump con, and now its the aircon.
    Climate change, what climate change?

*turns up the knob on the aircon to 11*
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

I blame the aircon.

What's Trump doing on your aircon?
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,732
    edited August 2023
    Taz said:

Taz said:

Phil said:

In that case a former prospective Lib Dem candidate. She joined the party, and was toying with running as a candidate,
    No, she's not a former prospective candidate either. A prospective candidate is one who's been selected as a candidate but an election hasn't been called. The term isn't widely used now due to changes to election expenses rules - basically, you can call yourself a candidate on selection nowadays without needing to worry too much about triggering expenses limits before the election is called, which didn't used to be the case.

Thinking about standing doesn't make you a prospective candidate, otherwise political parties would be full of "prospective candidates" who vaguely daydreamed about being an MP on an idle Sunday afternoon in 1988.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

I find it interesting, though, that it translates to a very high proportion saying he tells the truth. Not just that he's on my side, but that he's a pretty straight guy.

This is something that isn't unique to Trump, but it surprises me how few people say "he's a bastard but he's ultimately got my interests at heart and is playing a dirty game against other bastards who don't". It's a more credible position to take, but people don't like taking it.
    He tells the stories they want to hear, in a vaguely entertaining manner. The details are not important to the stories. They believe the narrative not the detail.

On the flip side they suspect even if the evil establishment is perhaps more accurate on the detail that the establishment narratives are lies to manipulate them. And that part is often true as we have professionalised politics and spin doctory to such a degree that normal conversations and persuasion very rarely happen.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

I blame the aircon.

What's Trump doing on your aircon?
    The Boris AirCon was a complete waste of space, just delivered a load of hot air.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Nothing surprises me. Roy Moore got elected twice, and narrowly lost once, despite the fact that he can barely feed and dress himself, and has an unhealthy interest in girls who have just reached puberty.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,598
    Classic chart from the FT
    https://twitter.com/Brad_Setser/status/1694813333109473746

In case any LibDems require inspiration.
  • Options
    Phil said:

It’s a two-way process I think - Trump is very gifted at both convincing this group that their problems are due to the liberal/democratic elite and that he is on their side & will cleanse a nation corrupted by that elite. Obviously this is a path that the Republican party has been travelling down for decades (at least since the Clinton administration under Newt Gingrich I might argue) but Trump took that tendency & turbo charged it into a machine that elevated him to the presidency & might do so again.

It’s both very impressive & deeply troubling to watch the radicalisation of such a large part of a nation in realtime.
    It wouldn't be possible however if the nation were not so deeply divided in terms of education and culture.
  • Options

Taz said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

Phil said:

Change UK candidate.

The centrist Dad party.
    Change UK have suffered from the shift to a cashless a society.
    Indeed. The biggest issue was their mailing list was small to begin with but then went contactless.
  • Options

Taz said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

Phil said:

Change UK candidate.

The centrist Dad party.
    Are you suggesting they were not note able?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Exactly my own view, Sean.

I formulated mine by talking to a few of them. You been doing the same?
  • Options
    A non-surprise announcement from the new TransPennine Express management - they are binning off their "Nova 3" Mk5 coaches/Class 68 trains by the December timetable change. Whilst that leaves them with fewer trains in practice it may improve reliability as they drop from 3 fleets down to 2.

What a fantastic waste of money! And what a marvellous experience for passengers, especially all those months on the south route (Sheffield) where significant numbers of trains were cancelled - often for hour after hour - to allow time for driver training on these things.
  • Options
    Taz said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

Phil said:

Change UK candidate.

The centrist Dad party.
    To the extent it's a serious question, they changed their name to the Independent Group for Change after a rather ludicrous dispute with Change.org after the 2019 European Elections, but deregistered with the Electoral Commission a week after failing to get anywhere at the 2019 General Election and wound up promptly thereafter. There isn't some continuation party still going somewhere (which I believe there was for a while at least with Kilroy's failed Veritas Party).
  • Options
    edited August 2023

Sean_F said:

Exactly my own view, Sean.

I formulated mine by talking to a few of them. You been doing the same?
    No. But, I have a friend who lives in Alabama, and while she is very much a fish out of water there, she reports their views honestly.

There are the white rural evangelicals, who basically view Trump as being like Cyrus or David. A pagan who is nonetheless, the Lord's chosen instrument. And, there are a lot of Republican voters who are against the establishment generally (including the Republican establishment) who enjoy trolling them by voting for appalling candidates. The latter don't expect to benefit in any way from Trump, if he gets elected, but they hope he'll hurt the people they despise.
  • Options
    Harry Tector has just lost two stone while batting.

Not from the exercise, but from where Hammond hit him...
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,021
    FPT, even the US does better in public transport infrastructure than the UK:

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,213
    Sarah Palin on the Trump arrest: "Do you want us to be in Civil War? Because that's what's going to happen. We're not going to keep putting up with this... We need to rise up and take our country back."

https://x.com/mikesington/status/1695018169956757957
  • Options
    Well done Miles Hammond, but truthfully, Lancashire have been awful.

This was presaged the moment I tipped them for honours this year...
  • Options

Taz said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

Phil said:

Change UK candidate.

The centrist Dad party.
    To the extent it's a serious question, they changed their name to the Independent Group for Change after a rather ludicrous dispute with Change.org after the 2019 European Elections, but deregistered with the Electoral Commission a week after failing to get anywhere at the 2019 General Election and wound up promptly thereafter. There isn't some continuation party still going somewhere (which I believe there was for a while at least with Kilroy's failed Veritas Party).
    Didn't the Labour half get roughly what they wanted- Labour with more centrist Dad and 100% less Jez?
  • Options
    Why is Trump so popular? We have seen this building for a few decades, a weaponised culture war where the Dem elite and GOP elite battle for supremacy in keeping a population largely dumb and angry to win their votes.

Both sides portray the other side as evil. Bill Clinton was almost the anti-Christ for the right, W Bush the same for the left. Trump is just this weapons-grade stupidity turned up to 11. I know that Don't Look Up wound some people up, but it was a good pastiche for today's politics.

Trump is a mobster, and a particularly inept one. But all the people who are anti-crime are pro-Trump. They want him to mob them because it makes the other side angry and that must mean he is good.

There seem to be tens of millions of people intent on removing their own rights. Of turning women - themselves, their wives, their daughters - into chattel. I don't get it.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,942
    Rochdale, great minds! People will be thinking we're sat together cribbing. :smile:
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,763

That information is definitely not correct. UK towns and cities have better public transport than American ones, overall.
  • Options

Taz said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

Phil said:

Change UK candidate.

The centrist Dad party.
    Didn't the Labour half get roughly what they wanted- Labour with more centrist Dad and 100% less Jez?
    I guess so, but arguably it would've happened anyway and they might have been there to see it.

It was all a shambles, of course, but I suppose you need to have a certain amount of respect for some of the individuals involved, who had pretty good Labour or Conservative seats and could have kept a low profile and hoped it all blew over. At least they tried, however flawed the attempt.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

On Topic: I can usually at least understand things I dislike (Brexit, the Tories, jazz) but I do struggle with Donald Trump. WTF is the appeal? Emotional age of about 7. The attention span of a flea. Pig ignorant, cruel, petty, narcissistic, deeply misogynist. Funny? Sure, if your idea of humour consists exclusively of cheap digs at other people. And just so obviously out for himself and only himself.

Yet tens of millions of adult Americans are in thrall to the horrible geezer. I don’t get it. The reasons usually advanced (globalisation hurting the trad white working class, liberal elites sneering at them and their values, a feeling of abandonment by mainstream politicians); these make for good weighty articles etc but it doesn’t ring true to me as an explanation for something so bizarre.

It looks like a mass psychosis to me. More akin to Jonestown than a political populist movement. He was a horror of a person too who was able to brainwash many who came into his orbit. I wonder how many ‘Trumpers’ are actually damaged vulnerable people, lonely perhaps, men and women who have rather lost their bearings in life? I’d be interested in the stats on that.

The country is split in two and he is the supreme cheerleader for one side. Not much more to it than that really.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,754

That seems a really dodgy set of definitions to exclude heavy rail, buses, or ferries from your definition of public transport. Equally, it takes no account for the usability of the provision - merely its existence in some form...
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

That information is definitely not correct. UK towns and cities have better public transport than American ones, overall.
    Any factoids to back that up?

Note that the chart is measuring large cities over 250k with trams, metro or light rail.

So what are your grounds for saying the chart is "definitely not correct"? At least before changing goal posts!
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Rochdale, great minds! People will be thinking we're sat together cribbing. :smile:

lol

I have a wife and a daughter. If I was a GOPper would I really be demanding that their rights be removed? Nobody wants an abortion until they need one, but should I be demanding that my daughter once grown up be told that she must carry a baby to term even if she was raped? Or support banning her from being allowed to travel just in case she's been sexually active and may be travelling to get birth control or more?

The Handmaid's Tale was supposed to be apocryphal yet here we are with GOP politicians (men of course) thinking it is a great plan. What the hell is wrong with these people?

Trump is literally a crook. Yet the people who demand crooks be shot are demanding that the crook be allowed to commit any crime he wants. Giuliani cracked down hard on monsters, making use of their RICO statutes. And then went on to become a mobster and get charged under the same RICO statutes. WTAF happened?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,138

Sarah Palin on the Trump arrest: "Do you want us to be in Civil War? Because that's what's going to happen. We're not going to keep putting up with this... We need to rise up and take our country back."

https://x.com/mikesington/status/1695018169956757957

How do you and Sarah feel about Trump,'s calls to lock Hillary up for relatively hum-drum breaches of protocol?

I am not ensure Sarah shouldn't be clapped in irons for inciting sedition on that comment alone. Although innate idiocy might be a valid defence.

Why do you have such a soft spot for these dangerous subversives?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

On Topic: I can usually at least understand things I dislike (Brexit, the Tories, jazz) but I do struggle with Donald Trump. WTF is the appeal? Emotional age of about 7. The attention span of a flea. Pig ignorant, cruel, petty, narcissistic, deeply misogynist. Funny? Sure, if your idea of humour consists exclusively of cheap digs at other people. And just so obviously out for himself and only himself.

Yet tens of millions of adult Americans are in thrall to the horrible geezer. I don’t get it. The reasons usually advanced (globalisation hurting the trad white working class, liberal elites sneering at them and their values, a feeling of abandonment by mainstream politicians); these make for good weighty articles etc but it doesn’t ring true to me as an explanation for something so bizarre.

It looks like a mass psychosis to me. More akin to Jonestown than a political populist movement. He was a horror of a person too who was able to brainwash many who came into his orbit. I wonder how many ‘Trumpers’ are actually damaged vulnerable people, lonely perhaps, men and women who have rather lost their bearings in life? I’d be interested in the stats on that.

Believe the word you may be looking for is "nihilism".

Which appears to be defining characteristic of Donald Trump, Vladimir Putin, Viktor Orban, Jair Bolsonaro and . . . lest we forget . . . Boris Johnson.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Andy_JS said:

What’s wrong with the information?
    Do you have other information?

Lennon’s response was better. This chart doesn’t account for Britain’s heavy rail network or bus systems.

Nevertheless, the situation is not good.
    And let’s be clear, it’s not London which has paid the price, but the 60% of the population who live outside London and the South East.

Leading, in part, to astonishingly poor economic and deprivation numbers.
  • Options

So basically the system worked after a minor hiccup. Nothing to see here.
  • Options
    Interesting to see that busted flush Sarah Palin is trolling for yet more donations and contributions to her next failed campaign for Congress in Alaska.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,306

Andy_JS said:

Note that the chart is measuring large cities over 250k with trams, metro or light rail.

So what are your grounds for saying the chart is "definitely not correct"? At least before changing goal posts!
    Andy’s comment was referring to the general provision of public transport. Not the limited subset used here.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy’s comment was referring to the general provision of public transport. Not the limited subset used here.
    No, he said the data was wrong.
  • Options

Taz said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

Phil said:

Change UK candidate.

The centrist Dad party.
    ROFL it was BORIS JOHNSON who started putting those posters up when he was Mayor! He was woke before it was cool!

FFS is telling the public to carry water now what we call "woke" and "nannying"? These words have lost all meaning.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,036
    kinabalu said:

What’s wrong with jazz? Admittedly some of it is unlistenable but you’d have to have feet buried in concrete not to be moved by Billie Holiday
  • Options

Taz said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

Phil said:

Change UK candidate.

The centrist Dad party.
    ROFL it was BORIS JOHNSON who started putting those posters up when he was Mayor! He was woke before it was cool!

FFS is telling the public to carry water now what we call "woke" and "nannying"? These words have lost all meaning.
    Boris Johnson took a lot of our water.

Well, at least, he was always taking the piss.
  • Options
    Labour is more trusted than the Conservatives on ALL 15 issues listed.

Which party do voters trust the most on...? (Labour | the Conservatives)
    NHS (39% | 20%)

Housing (37% | 19%)
    Education (37% | 21%)
    The Economy (34% | 23%)
    Immigration (31% | 27%)
    Ukraine (28% | 26%)

11 point lead on the economy for Labour
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Taz said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

Phil said:

Change UK candidate.

The centrist Dad party.

Londoners saw through him way before the rest of the country did. If he had run again he would have lost.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,942

kinabalu said:

The country is split in two and he is the supreme cheerleader for one side. Not much more to it than that really.
    But the 'other side' has no remotely similar phenomenon.
  • Options

Taz said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

Phil said:

Change UK candidate.

The centrist Dad party.

I know we don't agree on many things but on this I do agree. People do forget to stay hydrated even when they don't forget to eat. Hunger is a far more immediate and identifiable sensation than thirst and yet going all day witoput eating will probably do most of us very little harm. Going all day without drinking is far more serious and far more common.

There are many 'nanny state' things out there. This is not one of them.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

But the 'other side' has no remotely similar phenomenon.
    The other side lives in a world of reason, not faith.
  • Options

I know we don't agree on many things but on this I do agree. People do forget to stay hydrated even when they don't forget to eat. Hunger is a far more immediate and identifiable sensation than thirst and yet going all day witoput eating will probably do most of us very little harm. Going all day without drinking is far more serious and far more common.

There are many 'nanny state' things out there. This is not one of them.

We know what is nanny state according to Rachel Johnson. Anything Labour does.

Even if her brother did the same things.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,563

Taz said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

Phil said:

Change UK candidate.

The centrist Dad party.

It's rage-bait; ignore it.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,786

ydoethur said:

Taz said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

Phil said:

Change UK candidate.

The centrist Dad party.

Londoners saw through him way before the rest of the country did. If he had run again he would have lost.
    Londoners elected him twice. The country elected him once.

Londoners are stupid. ;)
This discussion has been closed.