Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A solution to the Dorries non-resignation saga? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,047
edited August 2023 in General
imageA solution to the Dorries non-resignation saga? – politicalbetting.com

The veteran Labour MP Chris Bryant thinks he has found a way that could force Dorries to do what she announced on June 9th when she said she was resigning with immediate effect.

Read the full story here

Comments

• It is hard to see Conservatives going for this, or indeed any solution proposed by Labour. That's before considering they probably do not want a by-election they will almost certainly lose.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,743

It is hard to see Conservatives going for this, or indeed any solution proposed by Labour. That's before considering they probably do not want a by-election they will almost certainly lose.

Opposing such a sensible motion might not operate to their benefit either.
    Other than serious illness, there's really no justification for an MP abandoning their responsibilities for over six months.
    They would be defending the indefensible.

Is Sunak really going to make that the subject of a three line whip ?
    If he doesn't, then every MP who chooses to vote to defend the ability of members to abandon their constituents will be reminded of that at the next election.
    edited August 2023
    Note that Bryant's suggestion is part of a package of reforms he's advocating for Parliament.
    It's not solely targeted at Dorries.
    Fifty-seven swimmers fall sick and get diarrhoea at world triathlon championship in Sunderland
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/aug/05/investigation-after-57-world-triathlon-championship-swimmers-fall-sick-and-get-diarrhoea-in-sunderland-race
    ..An Environment Agency sampling at Roker beach on Wednesday 26 July, three days before the event, showed 3,900 E Coli colonies per 100ml, more than 39 times higher than typical readings the previous month. E coli is a bacterial infection which can cause stomach pain and bloody diarrhoea,

But British Triathlon, the governing body for triathlons in Great Britain, said the agency’s sampling results were not published until after the weekend’s events and were outside the body of the water where its competitions took place. It said its own testing results passed the required standards for the event...

Probably @ydoethur , but who else was aware the (co)discoverer of oxygen, Joseph Priestley, was also a highly influential historian ?

A now commonplace device, Joseph Priestley’s timeline revolutionised how we view history.
    https://www.historytoday.com/archive/history-matters/invention-time
    149,000 residential buildings in Ukraine have already been damaged or destroyed

Two Ukrainian robotics entrepreneurs launched HOMErs, range of factory-made tiny homes worth $18,000 that can be built within days

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1688012012469600256
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,212
    edited August 2023
    Nigelb said:

Two Ukrainian robotics entrepreneurs launched HOMErs, range of factory-made tiny homes worth $18,000 that can be built within days

One opportunity is for these cheap modular buildings to disrupt the Uk housebuilding industry. Not the Ilke Homes £200k per dwelling modular buildings - but the £20k modular structures based on static caravans which seem similar to that set out in the link above. I think that - if properly maintained - they can last indefinetly. The 'missing' 7 million houses that we have failed to build could be replaced by this type of modular bungalow. I think they could also be quite easily adapted to provide boklok style maisonettes stacked on top of each other to save space. If you CPO the land and sideline the long list of inevitable objections then you can sort the housing issues in the UK out in one electoral cycle.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,461
    I'm not a fan of laws brought in (or reintroduced) to target one person. Chris Bryant is wrong.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,444

I'm not a fan of laws brought in (or reintroduced) to target one person. Chris Bryant is wrong.

From NigelB earlier:

"Note that Bryant's suggestion is part of a package of reforms he's advocating for Parliament.
    It's not solely targeted at Dorries."

From NigelB earlier:

"Note that Bryant's suggestion is part of a package of reforms he's advocating for Parliament.
    Yes, I read that afterwards. But it's not how the threader is written, and I stand by my comment.

As a matter of interest, is there a list of MPs' attendance? There is data for votes, but what about attendance?

(And as the late Stuart Bell showed, attendance in the press lobby does not mean you are actually doing the job in your constituency...)

From NigelB earlier:

Yes, I read that afterwards. But it's not how the threader is written, and I stand by my comment.

As a matter of interest, is there a list of MPs' attendance? There is data for votes, but what about attendance?

(And as the late Stuart Bell showed, attendance in the press lobby does not mean you are actually doing the job in your constituency...)
    How can you stand by your comment when it is based on a false premise?

There have been lots of MPs in recent years who have gone missing from the Commons (the most obvious example in my mind was Jared O'Mara, elected as Labour MP), so it is nonsensical to say that this reform is being proposed to target one individual.

Obviously Mike is interested in it from the angle of the betting on the hypothetical Mid Beds by-election, but I don't think that is upper most in Chris Bryant's mind. You do him a disservice.

From NigelB earlier:

There have been lots of MPs in recent years who have gone missing from the Commons (the most obvious example in my mind was Jared O'Mara, elected as Labour MP), so it is nonsensical to say that this reform is being proposed to target one individual.

Obviously Mike is interested in it from the angle of the betting on the hypothetical Mid Beds by-election, but I don't think that is upper most in Chris Bryant's mind. You do him a disservice.
    Because "Introducing laws to target one person" is a bad idea.

And the threader indicates that's what it is.

Another poster claims this change is part of a wider package, but does not provide a link for that assertion. In addition, if Bryant is selling a package of changes on the basis of getting at one MP, then that is also wrong.

From NigelB earlier:

Another poster claims this change is part of a wider package, but does not provide a link for that assertion. In addition, if Bryant is selling a package of changes on the basis of getting at one MP, then that is also wrong.
    "I like chocolate brownies" is also a valid statement, but is a complete non-sequitur given the topic at hand.

From NigelB earlier:

You have a responsibility to do your own research, rather than to hide behind other people not doing it for you, when you criticise people.

And here's a link for you so that you don't have that excuse any more: https://guardianbookshop.com/code-of-conduct-9781526663597
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,212

From NigelB earlier:

As I recall O'Mara was officially on sick leave due to mental health problems.

I don't see what the problem if the Dorries example prompts some kind of change so MP's maintain a satisfactory attendance record, same as school or work.
  • IcarusIcarus Posts: 983
    edited August 2023

From NigelB earlier:

Bryant is not introducing a new law just for one person. From the FT:

Criticising Dorries as an “absentee MP”, Bryant said that when MPs returned to parliament in September it would be “perfectly legitimate . . . to table a motion saying the member for Mid Bedfordshire — and, for that matter, anybody else who hasn’t turned up for six months — must attend by such-and-such a date or will be suspended from the House for 10 sitting days or more”.

From NigelB earlier:

You have a responsibility to do your own research, rather than to hide behind other people not doing it for you, when you criticise people.

And here's a link for you so that you don't have that excuse any more: https://guardianbookshop.com/code-of-conduct-9781526663597
    You're in a good mood this sunny Sunday morning!

Why do I have a 'responsibility' to do research into a comment someone else made? I was going from the threader, which mentions none of that. And seemingly unusually, I read the threader before the comments. ;)
    Icarus said:

From NigelB earlier:

Criticising Dorries as an “absentee MP”, Bryant said that when MPs returned to parliament in September it would be “perfectly legitimate . . . to table a motion saying the member for Mid Bedfordshire — and, for that matter, anybody else who hasn’t turned up for six months — must attend by such-and-such a date or will be suspended from the House for 10 sitting days or more”.
    Yes, it will also apply to others afterwards (of course), but it is evidently targeted at her. Because he names her.

I don't like Dorries. I can't say how good or bad she has been as a constituency MP, but IMV she has not been a good parliamentary MP, and I disagree with many of her views. But changing the rules to get at her is wrong IMO.

From NigelB earlier:

Why do I have a 'responsibility' to do research into a comment someone else made? I was going from the threader, which mentions none of that. And seemingly unusually, I read the threader before the comments. ;)
    The reform package is in a sodding book, which will have been written before Dorries announced her non-resignation. Of course he will refer to an example that is currently in the news, but your continued insistence that these reforms are "targeting her" defies all logic.

It's quite likely that I have caught Covid from the wedding I recently attended, I feel awful, have barely slept, and I will gnaw on this bone for as long as it distracts me from how bad I feel.

Why is it so rare for people to admit to simple and minor errors?
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,523
    Good morning, everyone.

Hope you feel better soon, Mr Password.
    This discussion also covers another interesting question: what is an MPs job? How can we tell when they do it well?

Is an MP who is very rarely in their contituency, but turns up to parliament 80% of the time, a good MP?

Is an MP who spends 90% of their time in their constituency, but turns up to parliament 10% of the time, a good MP?

Then there's the wording of the 1801 law, which throws up a load of questions.

From NigelB earlier:

The reform package is in a sodding book, which will have been written before Dorries announced her non-resignation. Of course he will refer to an example that is currently in the news, but your continued insistence that these reforms are "targeting her" defies all logic.

It's quite likely that I have caught Covid from the wedding I recently attended, I feel awful, have barely slept, and I will gnaw on this bone for as long as it distracts me from how bad I feel.

He is targeting her because he mentions her, as the quote in Icarus's comment below shows! How can he mention her as a target and her not be a target?

Hope you feel better soon; Covid was not pleasant when I got it earlier this year.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,419
    edited August 2023

Icarus said:

From NigelB earlier:

Yes, it will also apply to others afterwards (of course), but it is evidently targeted at her. Because he names her.

I don't like Dorries. I can't say how good or bad she has been as a constituency MP, but IMV she has not been a good parliamentary MP, and I disagree with many of her views. But changing the rules to get at her is wrong IMO.
    It is quite certain, that if such a mechanism was used against an MP they like, a large number of those in favour of this would discover that “this is a special case”, “harassment” and “dictatorship”.

Lawyers, in their wife’s kimonos, would be striking heroic poses on the steps of the Supreme Court.

I’ve long argued that we need to have a good look at what MPs jobs actually are. And have an actual career structure, complete with ongoing training.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    If an MP wants to bring in something like this, then it’s best to do it at a time when it would hurt “one of your own”.

Icarus said:

From NigelB earlier:

It is quite certain, that if such a mechanism was used against an MP they like, a large number of those in favour of this would discover that “this is a special case”, “harassment” and “dictatorship”.

Lawyers, in their wife’s kimonos, would be striking heroic poses on the steps of the Supreme Court.
    The 1801 law seems interesting wrt the wording. I assume 'Town' means London. Does this mean that MPs living in London would be exempt, because they are not out of 'town'? It seems too archaic to be useful (IANAL).

The answer seems quite simple to me: let voters decide. We have regular elections in this country. If an MP does something very wrong, they can be subjected to recall. Otherwise, let the voters decide at an election.

But this also requires data on attendance to be publicly available - however you define 'attendance'.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,419
    darkage said:

From NigelB earlier:

As I recall O'Mara was officially on sick leave due to mental health problems.

I don't see what the problem if the Dorries example prompts some kind of change so MP's maintain a satisfactory attendance record, same as school or work.
    Is there even a way for an MP to be officially on sick leave? Has their employment status been resolved - are they employees under the law? If so, who is their employer? HMG?
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,905
    Even if this measure was brought in an MP could turn up and then not bother again for another 6 months.

This discussion also covers another interesting question: what is an MPs job? How can we tell when they do it well?

Is an MP who is very rarely in their contituency, but turns up to parliament 80% of the time, a good MP?

Is an MP who spends 90% of their time in their constituency, but turns up to parliament 10% of the time, a good MP?

It's for the MP's constituents to decide, which is why the proposed reform is quite neat - the 10-day suspension triggers a recall petition and then it is up to the MPs constituents to decide whether there should be a by-election, and if the sitting MP should be re-elected if there is a by-election.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,251

Icarus said:

From NigelB earlier:

The 1801 law seems interesting wrt the wording. I assume 'Town' means London. Does this mean that MPs living in London would be exempt, because they are not out of 'town'? It seems too archaic to be useful (IANAL).

The answer seems quite simple to me: let voters decide. We have regular elections in this country. If an MP does something very wrong, they can be subjected to recall. Otherwise, let the voters decide at an election.

But this also requires data on attendance to be publicly available - however you define 'attendance'.
    Fwiw, I like many Londoners who live in the suburbs use the term ‘going to town’ to mean a visit to the centre. As it happens today my wife and I will be going to town to meet a friend for lunch.

From NigelB earlier:

He is targeting her because he mentions her, as the quote in Icarus's comment below shows! How can he mention her as a target and her not be a target?

Hope you feel better soon; Covid was not pleasant when I got it earlier this year.
    People are never allowed to use examples when arguing for general reform? When was that introduced into the terms of debate?

You are being ridiculous.
  • nico679 said:

Even if this measure was brought in an MP could turn up and then not bother again for another 6 months.

A similar mechanism does apply to local councillors. It's not perfect, for the reason you suggest. But it does emphasise the principle that the fundamental purpose of being an elected member of a body is to attend meetings of that body.

There is another MP who hasn't attended Parliament for ages. I don't want to get into their case, beyond saying that noting that they are always keen to emphasise the Not Londoness of their constituency. Forcing them to argue that staying in their constituency qualifies as being "in town" would be a small amusement.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,251

This a good starting point for determining in the round whether an MP is doing their job: https://www.theyworkforyou.com/

It's for the MP's constituents to decide, which is why the proposed reform is quite neat - the 10-day suspension triggers a recall petition and then it is up to the MPs constituents to decide whether there should be a by-election, and if the sitting MP should be re-elected if there is a by-election.
    That's fair enough. But what are the situations (offences) that lead to the 10-day suspension? How do you define attendance? Where are the current attendance figures, as an example?

As Malms indicates below, the current working practices of MPs and parliament as a whole are a mess. This proposal seems like a sticking plaster put on a clean piece of skin rather than the hundreds of slash marks that cover the body politic.
  • Doesn’t Nadine also employ various members of her family on the taxpayers’ dime? If they’re earning their money, there’s no issue … but I wonder how they’re currently doing it.

This a good starting point for determining in the round whether an MP is doing their job: https://www.theyworkforyou.com/
    It's good information, but only covers a part of the role of an MP, in that it does not cover constituency work.

In my case, Andrew Lansley was my MP for a while, and he was Mister ****ing Invisible in the constituency.
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,077
    edited August 2023

From NigelB earlier:

Why is it so rare for men to admit to simple and minor errors?
    I don't often do this but I've altered your question for you. It now answers itself ;)

I hope you feel much better soon

xx
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,854

Icarus said:

From NigelB earlier:

Fwiw, I like many Londoners who live in the suburbs use the term ‘going to town’ to mean a visit to the centre. As it happens today my wife and I will be going to town to meet a friend for lunch.
    Of course, Mr Nashe. Same thing. On 1801 today's suburbs were way out in the countryside. So "town" was the smart part of London, nowadays the West End.

And if I remember rightly, the months when Parliament sat corresponded to the social Season, so anybody who mattered was bound to be "in town" anyway.

The rest of the year was for hunting, shooting, fishing, visiting friends in their stately homes and travelling abroad.

But what is Ms Dorries actually doing with her time?

They are not.
    Bryant has written an entire book suggesting Parliamentary reforms - this is one if them.

No doubt the government will try that line.
    Nigelb said:

They are not.
    Bryant has written an entire book suggesting Parliamentary reforms - this is one if them.

@Icarus made a comment below from the FT that shows you are wrong:

"Criticising Dorries as an “absentee MP”, Bryant said that when MPs returned to parliament in September it would be “perfectly legitimate . . . to table a motion saying the member for Mid Bedfordshire — and, for that matter, anybody else who hasn’t turned up for six months — must attend by such-and-such a date or will be suspended from the House for 10 sitting days or more”."

It's difficult to see how you can say he is not targeting her. Retrospectively, in fact.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,196

Nigelb said:

They are not.

"Criticising Dorries as an “absentee MP”, Bryant said that when MPs returned to parliament in September it would be “perfectly legitimate . . . to table a motion saying the member for Mid Bedfordshire — and, for that matter, anybody else who hasn’t turned up for six months — must attend by such-and-such a date or will be suspended from the House for 10 sitting days or more”."

It's difficult to see how you can say he is not targeting her. Retrospectively, in fact.
    He seems there to be saying that there is already a rule in place that could be applied, so he’s not bringing a law in to target one person because he’s not bringing a law in.
    edited August 2023

Nigelb said:

They are not.

Here's the book.
    https://a.pgtb.me/8MVZwm

If course he is targeting her - but he is not "targeting one person", as you claim.

The rule has been around since 1801, so it's hardly retrospective.

Nigelb said:

They are not.

He seems there to be saying that there is already a rule in place that could be applied, so he’s not bringing a law in to target one person because he’s not bringing a law in.
    That might depend on what "restoration of..." means.

Even then, it is clearly targeting her. Why did he not propose it for (say) O'Mara after his time in parliament?

If he had said: "This will only apply to MPs from the next parliament," I would be less unhappy - with the caveats I've said below.
  • MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    Nad = Bairstow

Bryant = Carey
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

They are not.

Here's the book.

If course he is targeting her - but he is not "targeting one person", as you claim.

Has it been around, or has it been rescinded (what does 'restoration of...') mean?

As it probably has not been used for many decades, who gets to decide what the archaic wording means in the context of a modern parliament? Parliament itself? The committee?

And yes, he is clearly targeting her alone. If he was not, he would have mentioned other cases that would also have warranted this. And sadly, there are a fair few.
  • GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,860
    ClippP said:

Icarus said:

From NigelB earlier:

Of course, Mr Nashe. Same thing. On 1801 today's suburbs were way out in the countryside. So "town" was the smart part of London, nowadays the West End.

And if I remember rightly, the months when Parliament sat corresponded to the social Season, so anybody who mattered was bound to be "in town" anyway.

The rest of the year was for hunting, shooting, fishing, visiting friends in their stately homes and travelling abroad.

Professional whingebag on multiple media outlets plus putting out her self-pitying Boris ‘assassination’ screed.
    Ghedebrav said:

ClippP said:

Icarus said:

From NigelB earlier:

Professional whingebag on multiple media outlets plus putting out her self-pitying Boris ‘assassination’ screed.
    To make it clear: I don't like Dorries. I don't think she's been a good MP, or improved the country or her constituents' lives. Or even particularly care for her constituents. I will be happy when she is no longer in parliament.

But the same could be said for many MPs of all parties.

If you want to get rid of Dorries, do it properly. Not like this.
  • Nigelb said:

They are not.

That might depend on what "restoration of..." means.

Even then, it is clearly targeting her. Why did he not propose it for (say) O'Mara after his time in parliament?

If he had said: "This will only apply to MPs from the next parliament," I would be less unhappy - with the caveats I've said below.
    Yes, Bryant is obviously bullying Dorries. How dare he use her as an example to illustrate a wider point, when she's done nothing wrong in taking loads of taxpayers' money for doing fuck all, and being utterly blatant about it?

And, for the record, Bryant is very serious about parliamentary reform and is just about the only MP around who reads, thinks and writes deeply about how our parliamentary democracy could be improved. So good on him.
    Good morning

You may be surprised but I agree with you about Chris Bryant and he is consistent in wanting to raise parliamentary standards

As far as Dorries is concerned, nobody can condone her contempt for Parliament and Sunak was right to call her out this last week
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,268

Ghedebrav said:

ClippP said:

Icarus said:

From NigelB earlier:

To make it clear: I don't like Dorries. I don't think she's been a good MP, or improved the country or her constituents' lives. Or even particularly care for her constituents. I will be happy when she is no longer in parliament.

But it's not about the quality of her work. It's that Dorries does no work. As one of her local parish councils observed, she is never seen in the constituency. She holds no constituency surgeries. She does not attend Parliament. So we are paying her £84k or whatever it is for zilch.

Now, if you can identify other MPs who are simply not doing any work at all for their salary, Bryant would, I'm sure, be after them. But there is something in between doing nothing at all and doing a good job.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,999
    edited August 2023
    Surely provided Dorries stays in London during the week she can argue she has not gone out of town? As Labour were second in Mid Bedfordshire in 2019 hard to see them giving the LDs a free run in any by election either
    FT yesterday to put some flesh on the suggestion

Criticising Dorries as an “absentee MP”, Bryant said that when MPs returned to parliament in September it would be “perfectly legitimate . . . to table a motion saying the member for Mid Bedfordshire — and, for that matter, anybody else who hasn’t turned up for six months — must attend by such-and-such a date or will be suspended from the House for 10 sitting days or more”. The proposal, which Bryant said he had presented to government and Labour whips, is detailed in his new book, Code of Conduct: Why We Need to Fix Parliament — and How to Do It. In it he explained the rule: “If the House nominated you, you had to attend. Thus when William Smith O’Brien refused to serve on a railway committee in 1846, the House had him detained overnight in the Clock Tower cell.”
  • Iranian state ‘now biggest threat to UK’
    Home secretary’s fears over spies’ links to gangs

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/iranian-state-now-biggest-threat-to-uk-0bdmb9b8t (£££)

Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) are naughty boys, says Suella. This is more interesting than it sounds because her Cabinet colleague, the Foreign Secretary, has been copping flack for not banning the the IRGC. So ignoring the merits of the issue, we might be looking at a split in the Cabinet and even between MI5 and MI6.
    Miklosvar said:

Criticising Dorries as an “absentee MP”, Bryant said that when MPs returned to parliament in September it would be “perfectly legitimate . . . to table a motion saying the member for Mid Bedfordshire — and, for that matter, anybody else who hasn’t turned up for six months — must attend by such-and-such a date or will be suspended from the House for 10 sitting days or more”. The proposal, which Bryant said he had presented to government and Labour whips, is detailed in his new book, Code of Conduct: Why We Need to Fix Parliament — and How to Do It. In it he explained the rule: “If the House nominated you, you had to attend. Thus when William Smith O’Brien refused to serve on a railway committee in 1846, the House had him detained overnight in the Clock Tower cell.”

So it sounds as if "go out of town" was interpreted in that case to mean not turn up for the job, rather than literally leaving London. Be good to see the book and its sources.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    HYUFD said:

Surely provided Dorries stays in London during the week she can argue she has not gone out of town? As Labour were second in Mid Bedfordshire in 2019 hard to see them giving the LDs a free run in any by election either

She is gone in 18 months max anyway, and probably more useful to Labour than Tories in her current state.

Make sport of her uselessness by all means, but no real need for a byelection would be my advice to Labour.
  • HYUFD said:

Why not just condemn Dorries unacceptable behaviour rather than excuse it
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,135

Ghedebrav said:

ClippP said:

Icarus said:

From NigelB earlier:

But it's not about the quality of her work. It's that Dorries does no work. As one of her local parish councils observed, she is never seen in the constituency. She holds no constituency surgeries. She does not attend Parliament. So we are paying her £84k or whatever it is for zilch.

Now, if you can identify other MPs who are simply not doing any work at all for their salary, Bryant would, I'm sure, be after them. But there is something in between doing nothing at all and doing a good job.
    If someone was claiming benefits like that she would probably be calling for them to be jailed.....

Parliament needs to introduce some kind of don't take the piss rule for MPs attendance, but use a new rule rather than rely on a relic.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,454
    edited August 2023
    HYUFD said:

Wording not relevant as you need a new rule or motion anyway, and it for sure will be worded so as to get around that. Not everyone is stuck in the 19th (or 16th) century.
    Interesting article here on war of attrition in its modern style in Ukraine. It matters more in terms of material than men according to the author.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/8/5/2184924/-Ukraine-Update-Ukraine-s-war-of-attrition-can-break-Russia-and-it-won-t-take-years#comment_86739750
  • Miklosvar said:

All very interesting but can anyone think of an entire political party whose MPs never attend? Is it worth fouling up Northern Ireland (and by implication UK/US relations) just so Nadine Dorries has to clock in once every six months?

Iranian state ‘now biggest threat to UK’

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/iranian-state-now-biggest-threat-to-uk-0bdmb9b8t (£££)

Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) are naughty boys, says Suella. This is more interesting than it sounds because her Cabinet colleague, the Foreign Secretary, has been copping flack for not banning the the IRGC. So ignoring the merits of the issue, we might be looking at a split in the Cabinet and even between MI5 and MI6.

Far from an expert but struggle how to see how they can be a bigger threat to the UK than China or a potential Russia-Trumpian alliance, let alone the threats of AI and climate change.

Miklosvar said:

All very interesting but can anyone think of an entire political party whose MPs never attend? Is it worth fouling up Northern Ireland (and by implication UK/US relations) just so Nadine Dorries has to clock in once every six months?
    Unpaid. Precedent set?
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,312
    So, it turns out that 45 years of living in peaceful countries has given me some really bad habits. One’s not supposed to instinctively look out of the window when military aircraft are heard outside, was one I just learned this morning.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    Russia launched 67 drones/missiles at Ukraine last night (thankfully 85% were shot down)

It gives every sign of NOT running out of ordnance

Miklosvar said:

The difference perhaps would be not to have a byelection, but rather a recall petition. That would permit abstentions parties to make their point, and also spare the long term sick.

Perhaps I higher threshold for a recall petition when an MP is not suspended too.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,523
    Mr. Leon, during the collectivisation of farming, and the ensuing famine, the Soviet Union exported large quantities of grain to 'prove' there was no famine.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,268

Miklosvar said:

That's a fair point. Except that the voters who elect SF MPs do so knowing full well that they have no intention of attending Parliament. I suspect, however, that those MPs work assiduously in their constituency. The point about Dorries is that she does neither.
    edited August 2023
    Leon said:

Russia launched 67 drones/missiles at Ukraine last night (thankfully 85% were shot down)

Though the increasing deployment of older types of artillery, tanks and AFVs suggests that attrition is compromising Russian ground forces.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677
    Foxy said:

Interesting article here on war of attrition in its modern style in Ukraine. It matters more in terms of material than men according to the author.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/8/5/2184924/-Ukraine-Update-Ukraine-s-war-of-attrition-can-break-Russia-and-it-won-t-take-years#comment_86739750

That's a very long article to say he has no idea what is happening but hopes for the best.

There isn't much evidence of a master plan on either side; it's all just hit and hope.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,196

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

They are not.

Here's the book.

Has it been around, or has it been rescinded (what does 'restoration of...') mean?

As it probably has not been used for many decades, who gets to decide what the archaic wording means in the context of a modern parliament? Parliament itself? The committee?

And yes, he is clearly targeting her alone. If he was not, he would have mentioned other cases that would also have warranted this. And sadly, there are a fair few.
    Presumably these details you ask about are in his book, if you’re that interested.

I would presume that Parliament would be ultimately who gets to decide, as that is what happens with all other suspensions.
    darkage said:

Nigelb said:

One opportunity is for these cheap modular buildings to disrupt the Uk housebuilding industry. Not the Ilke Homes £200k per dwelling modular buildings - but the £20k modular structures based on static caravans which seem similar to that set out in the link above. I think that - if properly maintained - they can last indefinetly. The 'missing' 7 million houses that we have failed to build could be replaced by this type of modular bungalow. I think they could also be quite easily adapted to provide boklok style maisonettes stacked on top of each other to save space. If you CPO the land and sideline the long list of inevitable objections then you can sort the housing issues in the UK out in one electoral cycle.
    UK 1944-48 did it too (to some extent). The prefabs of that time came in different varieties, to be sure, but the good ones were much loved (some still are).

Mr. Leon, during the collectivisation of farming, and the ensuing famine, the Soviet Union exported large quantities of grain to 'prove' there was no famine.

Also one of the few sources of hard currency to the USSR at the time. Similar in some ways to the Irish Famine 80 years earlier, where Ireland continued to export food to England.
    Sandpit said:

So, it turns out that 45 years of living in peaceful countries has given me some really bad habits. One’s not supposed to instinctively look out of the window when military aircraft are heard outside, was one I just learned this morning.

Where are you in Ukraine? Have you subscribed to War Monitor on Telegram?
  • AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,005
    Leon said:

They haven't launched that many for quite a while. It is a reaction to the damaging of the Russian warship yesterday. If Russia had lots of stocks of missiles they would be doing it every day. They don't.

Miklosvar said:

They don't take their seats up, so are actually barred from attending.

This is a technicality, but the law is nothing more than a heap of technicalities.
    It'll be funny, for low values of 'funny', if Sandpit gets conscripted due to bureaucratic error or malfeasance.
    Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

That's a very long article to say he has no idea what is happening but hopes for the best.

There isn't much evidence of a master plan on either side; it's all just hit and hope.
    Sure, Daily Kos always takes a positive view of Ukraine, but the absence of modern tank deployments, and increasingly old refurbished obsolete stuff being used suggests the materialschlacht is not working in Russias favour.
    edited August 2023

HYUFD said:

Mr Sunak did. Fat lot of good it did. So try plan C.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,082
    edited August 2023

Iranian state ‘now biggest threat to UK’

Far from an expert but struggle how to see how they can be a bigger threat to the UK than China or a potential Russia-Trumpian alliance, let alone the threats of AI and climate change.
    Iran's IRGC is linked to various Middle East terrorist groups (the responsibility of MI6/Foreign Sec James Cleverly) and is now said to be linking to UK organised crime groups and also proselytising among student groups (MI5/Home Sec Suella).

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

They are not.

Here's the book.

Presumably these details you ask about are in his book, if you’re that interested.

I would presume that Parliament would be ultimately who gets to decide, as that is what happens with all other suspensions.
    Publication date 17 August
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/aug/06/tories-are-no-different-from-labour-says-snp-in-run-up-to-rutherglen-and-hamilton-west-byelection

Both of the two leading in the betting for Ru'glen are criticising SKS as Kid Starver. Yes, including the Slab candidate.

Not in the least surprised.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,312
    Dura_Ace said:

It'll be funny, for low values of 'funny', if Sandpit gets conscripted due to bureaucratic error or malfeasance.

Perhaps they’ll send me for F-16 training. I always wanted a go in something a bit faster than a Cessna 172.
    AlistairM said:

Leon said:

They haven't launched that many for quite a while. It is a reaction to the damaging of the Russian warship yesterday. If Russia had lots of stocks of missiles they would be doing it every day. They don't.
    AlistairM said:

Leon said:

The position seems to be: they do not have an unlimited supply, but nor are they “running out” - as was predicted on here multiple times last year. “Two weeks supply left” etc

This coheres with the likelihood that they have some domestic production, and they are able to buy more, abroad. From Iran and so on

As of today everything says Stalemate to me. Russia hasn’t got the weaponry to overwhelm Ukraine’s NATO stiffened defences. Nor the missiles to bomb Ukraine into submission

But Ukraine doesn’t have the manpower to push Russia out of its captured, heavily mined positions

It’s an ugly state of affairs

• DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327
    Foxy said:

The Daily Kos has been the best single source of what is happening on the ground in Ukraine that i have found anywhere. Unashamedly pro-Ukraine, they have none the less provided a superb sift of the rubbish published on the internet to present a clearer picture.

The most important part of this article, for me, is the efficiency and effectiveness of counter-battery operations by western designed artillery. The Russian military model is very dependent upon artillery and these losses are significant. It is perhaps telling that in wars over the last 20-40 years the Russians have almost never faced a foe capable of firing back with advantage. They are now.
    Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Perhaps they’ll send me for F-16 training. I always wanted a go in something a bit faster than a Cessna 172.
    I have a good friend who was my classmate when I went to school in Belgium. He was and is somewhat of an intellectual powerhouse who studied law at UC Louvain, coming top of his class. When he had to do his national service in the Belgian armed forces they had some sort of rudimentary computer system which matched a conscriptee's qualifications and aptitudes to the roles available. This program took an amazingly talented law graduate and set him to mowing lawns and painting rocks white at the base in Leopoldsburg.
    Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

I’ve heard rumours of non-Ukrainian men of fighting age encountering problems exiting the country. Seriously. Be careful. The Ukrainians are massively watchful of draft dodgers and one of the easiest ways to escape Ukraine, if you’re 18-60, is to get a fake passport

My bus out of Ukraine on Friday was held up for two hours as the Ukrainians minutely inspected all the documents. The Romanians waved us through in 10 minutes
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,978

And between 3.5 and 5 million people starved to death in the Holodomor that resulted.
    Leon said:

AlistairM said:

Leon said:

AlistairM said:

Leon said:

The position seems to be: they do not have an unlimited supply, but nor are they “running out” - as was predicted on here multiple times last year. “Two weeks supply left” etc

The head of GCHQ told us they were about to run out last October. If he doesn't have a fucking clue then who does?

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

They are not.

Here's the book.

Nadine Dorries isn't mentioned *at all* in the Guardian interview Bryant has done to go along with the book's publication.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/aug/05/labour-chris-bryant-interview-code-conduct-book
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

AlistairM said:

Leon said:

AlistairM said:

Leon said:

The head of GCHQ told us they were about to run out last October. If he doesn't have a fucking clue then who does?
    Quite so

• Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

To be fair I was referring to @HYUFD inability to condemn any of Johnson's disciples
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    Izzard campaigning in Brighton:

• malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003
    Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

AlistairM said:

Leon said:

AlistairM said:

Leon said:

Quite so

Obviously getting them via NK and Iran plus making a few with sanctioned components. They are still F**ked in long term.

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

To be fair I was referring to @HYUFD inability to condemn any of Johnson's disciples
    Sure, but it is also a response to HYUFD. Not like him to go against the party line. Or perhaps Mr Sunak is the one going against the correct party line, mind.
  • The incredible story of Yorkshire’s unsung Holocaust hero
    With life increasingly dangerous for Jews in Nazi Germany, tailor David Makofski set out to rescue as many as possible – and saved hundreds

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/08/06/david-makofski-yorkshire-unsung-holocaust-hero/ (£££)

• kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    Can't say I agree with this move, at least in this way. I'm not opposed to arcaic rules being reimposed in principle if they are on the books, as it were, or even if one individual was the impetus so long as it is then applied consistently thereafter, but I am very wary of the House putting pressure on people to resign in a formal way. Calling for someone to do so if they are not doing their job, sure, but that's not the same thing.
    ON topic. I went on a geriatric Stag Night yesterday - 8 hours in multiple locations across Covent Garden/Soho

Almost everywhere was RAMMED. Streets so full of people cars couldn’t get through. Yes it was a Saturday night in summer but it was also filthy: 13C and raining

Central London is booming, at least around W1/WC2
    Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

I’ve heard rumours of non-Ukrainian men of fighting age encountering problems exiting the country. Seriously. Be careful. The Ukrainians are massively watchful of draft dodgers and one of the easiest ways to escape Ukraine, if you’re 18-60, is to get a fake passport

My bus out of Ukraine on Friday was held up for two hours as the Ukrainians minutely inspected all the documents. The Romanians waved us through in 10 minutes
    With good reason looking at this:

https://twitter.com/LvivJournal/status/1687432449330913281?t=1lY7tb2com80vwcTDnCEhQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/schiedamseschot/status/1687557549434830849?t=Xc5b5gEs5RA8VBmzsrkwyA&s=19

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

I have a good friend who was my classmate when I went to school in Belgium. He was and is somewhat of an intellectual powerhouse who studied law at UC Louvain, coming top of his class. When he had to do his national service in the Belgian armed forces they had some sort of rudimentary computer system which matched a conscriptee's qualifications and aptitudes to the roles available. This program took an amazingly talented law graduate and set him to mowing lawns and painting rocks white at the base in Leopoldsburg.
    In fairness, what possible use would the armed forced have for a legal intellectual powerhouse? They might make someone look bad.
    Nigelb said:

.Just a perfect sentence in the Government’s reply to Trump’s request for more time:

“Rather than spend time complying with the Court’s order, the defendant drafted a filing as to why he did not have time to review and consider the 5-page proposed protective order.”

https://twitter.com/tribelaw/status/1687982259997995008

The tactics Trump gas employed to frustrate his myriad opponents in the civil courts might not be so effective in defending a criminal proceeding.

I bet his various lawyers are all over the TV shows as well, rather than reviewing and drafting legal documents. Priorities.

They might have better luck with delay tactics - many delays can be justified - if Trump shut his mouth for five minutes and had not both complained it took this long to be charged but also talks about pushing them beyond the election, making his motivations clear, if that were still needed.
This discussion has been closed.