Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

What Nadine’s constituents think of her – politicalbetting.com

13»

Comments

• rcs1000 said:

How safe would it be to use Hydrogen in homes?

So long as we bond each hydrogen atom with two oxygen ones, I believe there is an exciting future for its use in homes.
    We can “bond” them at your house
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420
    edited July 2023

Purely my own speculation, but I doubt it would be worse than methane. It isn't as if we don't see explosions from time to time already.

It would escape far quicker if there was a leak.
    Making a pipe or connection gas tight for hydrogen is much harder.

Hydrogen can leak *through* some materials. There’s also fun stuff like hydrogen embrittlement. Which means that some materials are completely unsuitable. You have, of course, details of all the solder that the plumbers used in your gas pipe work?

The added odour thing they do for natural gas won’t necessarily work - because hydrogen molecules are so small, hydrogen can leak through a porous weld/solder joint, leaving the odour compound behind. A kind of filter….

Hydrogen for domestic usage is doable, but I’d be looking at replacing all the pipe work first.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627
    rcs1000 said:

So long as we bond each hydrogen atom with two oxygen ones, I believe there is an exciting future for its use in homes.
    Do you mean two hydrogen atoms with an oxygen one?

Or is HO2 some new wonder fuel you’re working on?
  • SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 675
    When I look at MPs like Nadine and Michael Fabricant I wonder what the local Conservative association was thinking when they adopted them. And what were the other candidates like?
    A
    rcs1000 said:

There is a process for adding a single carbon atom to create a molecule of CH4

This makes handing hydrogen so much easier in nearly every way.

Perhaps the technology beyond the next technology?
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

H2O2 can be fun
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327

A

rcs1000 said:

I've heard that if you stick pipes in the right bit of ground you can collect it fairly easily.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,228
    Pulpstar said:

Oh dear.
    It looks like “TV’s” Dan Wootton is trending on Twitter for far worse reasons than Huw.

I hope people are being consistent in their wishes for Huw and Dan's privacy & their views on press freedoms.
    Indeed:

With that said, the allegations being shared on Twitter are very much of illegal behavior.

(I also have no idea who Dan Wooten is )
    edited July 2023
    SandraMc said:

When I look at MPs like Nadine and Michael Fabricant I wonder what the local Conservative association was thinking when they adopted them. And what were the other candidates like?

Consider this - @HYUFD could well be on the candidates selection committee, where he is.
    edited July 2023
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Oh dear.
    It looks like “TV’s” Dan Wootton is trending on Twitter for far worse reasons than Huw.

I hope people are being consistent in their wishes for Huw and Dan's privacy & their views on press freedoms.
    Indeed:

With that said, the allegations being shared on Twitter are very much of illegal behavior.

(I also have no idea who Dan Wooten is )
    He personally invented Woolton Pie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolton_pie
    Pulpstar said:

EPG said:

There are some MPs elected on the explicit promise not to work.

7 or so not to attend parliament. According to this article the timing experts are perfectly adequate constituency MPs:

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/wont-take-commons-seats-sinn-fein-mps-72388
    That's fascinating: so you can find Sinn Fein MPs at Westminster, just not in the chamber.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,462
    On hydrogen: there is a lot fo work being down into 'safe' ways of storing (not transporting) hydrogen:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_storage#Physical_storage

They're not there yet, and may not get there, but there's some promising research going on.
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Whoops.
    DavidL said:

A

rcs1000 said:

I've heard that if you stick pipes in the right bit of ground you can collect it fairly easily.
    Indeed

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bc/Darvasa_gas_crater_panorama_crop.jpg
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,139
    edited July 2023
    DavidL said:

A

rcs1000 said:

A bit of lateral thinking and the dairy farm milking sheds might develop a secondary process ...
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627
    This thread has

not met the approval of the voters of Mid Beds

• DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327
    felix said:

DavidL said:

A

rcs1000 said:

A bit of lateral thinking and the dairy farm milking sheds might develop a secondary process ...
    That's just piss and wind.
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Whoops.
    Well…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroperoxyl

Apparently you can… stabilise it at cryogenic temperatures. If you could make enough.

It would be an interesting experiment in the sense of Ignition!* interesting.

*a legendary book on the early days of research into rocket fuels. The experiments described are not so much “don’t try this at home” as “don’t try this in a remotely controlled bunker, in a desert area, while in a separate bunker. Several miles away.”
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,757
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Miklosvar said:

Andy_JS said:

40 degree temperatures are nothing unusual in southern Spain. Not sure why the media thinks they are.

Because this is the case:

Temperature records have been broken on most of the continent, including France, Switzerland, Germany and Italy, where highs of 40C were recorded again on Wednesday.

Sicily and Sardinia were forecast to be as high as 48C.

By definition if temperatures are breaking records they are out of the ordinary, would you not agree?

"Media" is plural.
    It is just too hot to summer holiday in the Med now. Better go to Cornwall or Devon, Dorset or Suffolk or Blackpool, Margate and Broadstairs, Southend or Pembrokeshire or Brighton for your summer holiday and have a holiday in the Canaries or Florida if you can in winter instead
    It’s not too hot, here!

ITDA
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,572
    SandraMc said:

In a safe seat they’ll have been selected because their views on some fringe policy area aligned with the three or four nutters on the selection committee. Welcome to democracy.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,057
    rcs1000 said:

Um... HO2?
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,849
    ydoethur said:

Does it matter to her what the voters think? She's already been duly elected and won't seek re-election, so its Somebody Else's Problem what the voters think of her now.

And she's not going to stand down, because talentless MPs are grossly overpaid versus what they could attain in the real world, earning more than 97% of the British public for what is actually a Part Time job anyway, so she has absolutely no intention of standing down and losing her sinecure without a replacement.

This has always been a problem of electing MPs.
    Once elected, there is no requirement to do anything. It's largely just collecting salary until the next election. They don't have to do anything. Usually they do, because they want to rise the greasy pole, or else they want re-election, but if both those things aren't wanted, then the MP can (and does) just give up.

Dorries is hardly new in that regard. Gordon Brown did nowt after 2010. O'Mara did less than nothing, just claimed expenses for things he hadn't done.

I know there are recall petitions now, but perhaps they also should be triggered if an MP doesn't do any work.

Say 100 days a year verified work. Can be either in the constituency, or at Westminster. And you could even be fairly broad with the requirements. Holding a surgery should count, as would the day at Westminster. But even attending the village fete and being seen should probably count to. Basically, doing something to represent or meet the people who elected you.
    Doesn't seem too much, but I don't know
    why it hasn't been introduced.
    Lots of paperwork and difficult to verify.

What’s the point

And if people want to elect an absentee MP why shouldn’t they?
    I don’t think these people wanted to.
    I was reacting to @TheValiant general proposal

Although Nadine Dorries doing nothing might be value added compared to her doing something…

• DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527
    rcs1000 said:

I'm afraid I have to fundamentally disagree. The dangers of Dihydrogen Oxide (DHMO) are well documented. Some people have literally been driven from their homes by an excess of DHMO. The figures are astonishing - DHMO has been found in 100% of cancer patients. Despite this, it is still used as an industrial solvent and coolant, as a fire retardant and suppressant, in the manufacture of biological and chemical weapons, in nuclear power plants - and, surprisingly, by elite athletes in endurance sports.
This discussion has been closed.