Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Biden is slipping in the WH2024 nominee betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,682
    viewcode said:

...An injection can only be given by a medical doctor...

Type I diabetes injections are (or at least before that fancy-dan thing) self-administered. And blood thinners.

And ozempic.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,953

Carnyx said:

Peck said:

Andy_JS said:

Barnesian said:

I believe that both Biden and Trump will be the nominees, unless ill-health intervenes.

However I suspect there will be a spoiler independent candidate.
    Could be RFK, or Liz Cheney or Mitt Romney as a "Real Republican".

Maybe it'll be Trump vs RFK.
    Where will Fauci run to if it is - Mexico or Canada? Trump went on about injecting disinfectant, but what RFKJr says about Big Pharma is of a very different quality. Personally I don't see him winning even the Dem nomination. Is it even certain the K family will back him for it? All the bets will be off (metaphorically) if it's Trump vs RFK, because anything could happen and I'll be carefully watching the price of "neither of the above".

Hunch says no re-election for Biden. Glad I bought Harris at 48.
    Both Trump's 'injecting disinfectant' remarks and his 'bright light into the body' remarks were actually fairly sound ideas as potential experimental treatments for Covid.
    Disinfectant kills living cells indiscriminately [edit] by definition - basically like drinking bleach or arsenic or lye or ... Sure, it will kill covid infestation stone dead as well. Shame about the host.

Not a helpful remark from the POTUS.
    Leaving aside the fact that the above is the principle by which almost all medical interventions operate - being strong enough to kill or reverse the disease but not strong enough to kill the the patient (think chemotherapy), as Peck correctly recalled, Trump talked about *in-ject-ing* a disinfectant. An injection can only be given by a medical doctor - at the very least such a treatment could not be tried by someone eyeing up a bleach bottle. Those people (like Nicola Sturgeon) who accused him of saying 'ingesting' for their own mischievous reasons, were the ones who were actually putting the public in danger by falsely attributing that suggestion to him.
    You'rse confounding specific drugs and vaccines with unspecific disinfectants which kill everything. And Trump said "disinfectant", as you yourself remark.

And it doesn't matter if folk misheard inject as ingest. Whether one drinks or injects an unspecific disinfectant such as battery acid or bleach, the result is just the same.

I have a bottle of isopropyl alcohol in the shed which is great for disinfecting covid at 70%, as well as all its other uses such as wiping down greasy surfaces. Would I ingest it? No. Would I inject it? No.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,108
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Peck said:

Andy_JS said:

Barnesian said:

I believe that both Biden and Trump will be the nominees, unless ill-health intervenes.

Where will Fauci run to if it is - Mexico or Canada? Trump went on about injecting disinfectant, but what RFKJr says about Big Pharma is of a very different quality. Personally I don't see him winning even the Dem nomination. Is it even certain the K family will back him for it? All the bets will be off (metaphorically) if it's Trump vs RFK, because anything could happen and I'll be carefully watching the price of "neither of the above".

Both Trump's 'injecting disinfectant' remarks and his 'bright light into the body' remarks were actually fairly sound ideas as potential experimental treatments for Covid.
    Disinfectant kills living cells indiscriminately [edit] by definition - basically like drinking bleach or arsenic or lye or ... Sure, it will kill covid infestation stone dead as well. Shame about the host.

Leaving aside the fact that the above is the principle by which almost all medical interventions operate - being strong enough to kill or reverse the disease but not strong enough to kill the the patient (think chemotherapy), as Peck correctly recalled, Trump talked about *in-ject-ing* a disinfectant. An injection can only be given by a medical doctor - at the very least such a treatment could not be tried by someone eyeing up a bleach bottle. Those people (like Nicola Sturgeon) who accused him of saying 'ingesting' for their own mischievous reasons, were the ones who were actually putting the public in danger by falsely attributing that suggestion to him.
    You'rse confounding specific drugs and vaccines with unspecific disinfectants which kill everything. And Trump said "disinfectant", as you yourself remark.

And it doesn't matter if folk misheard inject as ingest. Whether one drinks or injects an unspecific disinfectant such as battery acid or bleach, the result is just the same.

I have a bottle of isopropyl alcohol in the shed which is great for disinfecting covid at 70%, as well as all its other uses such as wiping down greasy surfaces. Would I ingest it? No. Would I inject it? No.
    Having ingested a big swallow of it by accident at a party I can confirm it probably wont kill you if its only a swallow.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,069
    viewcode said:

Type I diabetes injections are (or at least before that fancy-dan thing) self-administered. And blood thinners.

But (in the case of diabetes) administered via sealed cartridges - you can't fill your diabetes pen with bleach and have at it. You can however drink bleach if you're desperate and in a compromised state of mind, which is why it was unconscionable for someone like Sturgeon to put those words in Trump's mouth for the sake of appearing holier-than-thou on TV.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

And ozempic.
    rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

And ozempic.
    Sure, even if one expands 'medical doctor' to cover the nurses who gave me my last few covid and pneumococcus injections.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,615
    edited July 2023

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Good news! The trailer for Ridley Scott's "Napoleon" is out! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAZWXUkrjPc
    Bad news! It looks washed out, over color-corrected, the script appears clunky and Phoenix underplays him, which is [checks notes] bad. I have fond memories of Rod Steiger overacting in "Waterloo", and Phoenix is just wrong

Anyhoo, compare and contrast for y'sels:

On a happier note, the trailer for Scorsese's Killers of the Flower Moon is out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIH1FHykKRY . It looks a shit-ton better than Scott's and if we're lucky we may even get a good performance from "need to pay the alimony" era DeNiro.

A lot of classic directors are entering their last film period, where we are all praying they don't fuck it up. Hitchcock didn't do it well (was it Frenzy?), Spielberg didn't either (Fabelmans), Scott may misfire on Napoleon and I am really hoping for a good Megalopolis from Coppola, but hopefully - hopefully - end Scorsese will be good Scorsese.
    Is Fableman's Spielbrg's last film?

The good news of course is that there are plenty of younger Directors already well established to replace the old guard. Wes Anderson and Denis Villeneuve being two examples.

Is Fableman's Spielberg's last film? - Dunno. I assumed given the loss he made, his age, and he appears to have aged out of the times, that he would not be given another film. Looking at Wikipedia, the last five years have been covid or abandoning projects, with only "Masters of the Air" coming out on TV.

Having said that he is only 76, which is still viable in director terms. So he may be able to pull out another rabbit.

Wes Anderson and Denis Villeneuve - we will never agree on Anderson, tho I'll cheerfully give you Denis Villeneuve and add Christopher Nolan into the mix as a bonus.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 11,878
    edited July 2023
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Peck said:

Andy_JS said:

Barnesian said:

Yes, but you haven't told us whether you'd stick a halogen bulb up your hoop to get some light inside the body. I do it regularly, and I've never once had a detected case of rectal Covid. Maybe Trump was right all along.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Peck said:

Andy_JS said:

Barnesian said:

Having ingested a big swallow of it by accident at a party I can confirm it probably wont kill you if its only a swallow.
    Probably lucky there. Some of the dodgy alcohols can blind or give permanent brain damage. Vide the pathologist in NYC who was always warning people of th eproblem of hooch during Prohibition.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Peck said:

Andy_JS said:

Barnesian said:

Yes, but you haven't told us whether you'd stick a halogen bulb up your hoop to get some light inside the body. I do it regularly, and I've never once had a detected case of rectal Covid. Maybe Trump was right all along.
    Sure, because your botty would be cooked anyway.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,204

SirNorfolkPassmore said: "John McCain picked Sarah Palin as his running mate.

He had a lot going for him, but it was a pretty reckless move."

Perhaps 1 percent of Americans would agree with me, but I think Noemie Emery had it right in 2008, when she said that both Obama and Palin had promise -- but that neither was ready to be president. (Sadly, the unfair treatment Palin received from much of our media seems to have stunted her growth. And Obama seems to have learned little from his failures.)

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/author/noemie-emery

I think you can argue Obama got it too early. But putting him in the same category as Palin, and saying the media coverage "stunted her growth" is crackers.

She was 48 years old when she ran for VP. She'd been a governor for six years. She was just a really bad candidate who had a poor grasp of the national issues and couldn't hack it, and McCain f***ed up the due diligence. Even after the campaign, she could've salvaged her reputation through a swift return to office, but choose to mess about on the media and a messy personal life, before botching her comeback last year, losing to a Democrat in a deep red state. Ultimately, she was and is a bit of a fool, rather than someone who simply should've been left to marinate for a few more years.
    It's notable that Republicans decrying Obama's unfitness for the presidency gloss over the fitness - and legacy - of his predecessor.
    Iraq was a foreign policy disaster well beyond the (undoubted) mistakes made by Obama, As were other aspects of the Bush legacy.

A fateful summit 15 years ago hangs over the NATO meeting in Vilnius
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/07/10/bucharest-2008-nato-summit-history-vilnius-putin-georgia-ukraine-membership/
    The antecedents to the Russian invasion of Ukraine arguably lie in a NATO summit 15 years ago. Leaders at the 2008 meeting of the Western military alliance in the Romanian capital, Bucharest, failed to find unanimity on whether to grant membership to former Soviet republics Georgia and Ukraine. The two countries were offered a vague commitment of entering the alliance at some point in the future, with no established plan regarding how or when that could be achieved.

The halfhearted gesture reflected division within the West at the time. On one side, you had the administration of President George W. Bush, deeply unpopular abroad after the ruinous war in Iraq and eking out its final year in office, which sought to offer the two countries a formal NATO “Membership Action Plan.” On the other, a clutch of Western European governments, led by Germany and its chancellor, Angela Merkel, believed that neither Georgia nor Ukraine were politically ready to enter the alliance and looked askance at initiatives that may “poke the bear” of the Kremlin.

Their disagreement yielded an outcome that satisfied few. Depending on who you listen to, the summit in Bucharest made Georgia and Ukraine targets for Russian invasion either because it provoked Russian President Vladimir Putin into taking action against the threat of NATO on his border or because it precisely failed to clearly extend NATO’s collective security protections to these states. Just a few months later, Russian forces seized the Georgian regions of South Ossetia and Abkhazia, installing puppet regimes that few outside Moscow recognize to this day. In 2014, after protests brought down a pro-Moscow government in Kyiv, Ukraine, Russia illegally annexed Crimea and backed a separatist insurgency in Ukraine’s southeast.

Fifteen years ago, Putin was present in Bucharest, on NATO’s invitation, and is said to have privately told Bush then that he didn’t see Ukraine as a “real nation-state.” In a speech he delivered to the NATO crowd, he described membership in the alliance for Georgia and Ukraine as a “direct threat” to Russia. He also spoke of Ukraine as a Soviet invention and cast doubt on its sovereignty, suggesting a major chunk of its population were simply “Russians” and that Crimea itself was almost exclusively Russian...
  • Options
    Farooq said:

...you haven't told us whether you'd stick a halogen bulb up your hoop to get some light inside the body. I do it regularly...

Worst. Lamp. Evah

• Options
    viewcode said:

Farooq said:

...you haven't told us whether you'd stick a halogen bulb up your hoop to get some light inside the body. I do it regularly...

Worst. Lamp. Evah

YOU might not want me doing a headstand-splits in the corner of your living room, but don't pretend you speak for everyone.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

And ozempic.
    Epipen, of course.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    viewcode said:

Farooq said:

Worst. Lamp. Evah

Was it a ring shaped bulb, I want to know?

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/fluorescent-tubes/2044261?cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-CSS_UK_EN_Lighting_Whoop-_-Fluorescent+Tubes_Whoop+(2)-_-2044261&matchtype=&pla-304862063227&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-NG6wqyEgAMV7YlQBh1EggQDEAQYAiABEgKIm_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
  • Options

viewcode said:

But (in the case of diabetes) administered via sealed cartridges - you can't fill your diabetes pen with bleach and have at it. You can however drink bleach if you're desperate and in a compromised state of mind, which is why it was unconscionable for someone like Sturgeon to put those words in Trump's mouth for the sake of appearing holier-than-thou on TV.
    LOL.
  • Options

viewcode said:

POTUS says something. Someone else says it is bollocks albeit with some mishearing which is actually irrelevant. You blame that other person. Bloody funny libertarian approach if you ask me.

(And your logic is wrong. Discouraging method B should if anything encourage Method A, injection.)
  • Options
    MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Peck said:

Andy_JS said:

Barnesian said:

You can get an endoscope with torch on 3.5m of cable for 20 quid on amazon, just plug one end in phone and other in you.

Speaking of which https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/1f4f5dba-1ea2-11ee-a0e9-e23dc75d995a?shareToken=349a5887f99250752921234cba6c3085

Story of the day for me. NHS deploying associate physicians (pretend doctors), death from misdiagnosis. I had no idea this was a thing.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Peck said:

Andy_JS said:

Barnesian said:

Seriously, though, it's difficult to see how one could kill covid with UV without giving oneself total sunburn in 3-D - basically, the same problem as with disinfectant. As well as disrupting other body processes as well as those which the virus uses to replicate.

Sure, there is stuff such as phototherapy bvut that's for chemicals such as bilirubin that can easily be broken up in the skin with UV.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Miklosvar said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Peck said:

Andy_JS said:

Barnesian said:

You can get an endoscope with torch on 3.5m of cable for 20 quid on amazon, just plug one end in phone and other in you.

Speaking of which https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/1f4f5dba-1ea2-11ee-a0e9-e23dc75d995a?shareToken=349a5887f99250752921234cba6c3085

Story of the day for me. NHS deploying associate physicians (pretend doctors), death from misdiagnosis. I had no idea this was a thing.
    THat (pretend doctors) is even more disturbing than the idea of drinking (or injecting - let's be fair) disinfectant.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Peck said:

Andy_JS said:

Barnesian said:

Seriously, though, it's difficult to see how one could kill covid with UV without giving oneself total sunburn in 3-D - basically, the same problem as with disinfectant. As well as disrupting other body processes as well as those which the virus uses to replicate.

Sure, there is stuff such as phototherapy bvut that's for chemicals such as bilirubin that can easily be broken up in the skin with UV.
    The key thing is, if you had Covid and you found some innovative way to poison yourself or destroy your lower intestine and expire in a particularly gruesome and painful way, you would have been counted as dying with rather than of Covid. Which was a vitally important distinction. Apparently
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Peck said:

Andy_JS said:

Barnesian said:

There are many different types of light therapy - blue light is used to disinfect ambulances afaicr and it isn't UV/harmful to cells.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Peck said:

Andy_JS said:

Barnesian said:

There are many different types of light therapy - blue light is used to disinfect ambulances afaicr and it isn't UV/harmful to cells.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germicidal_lamp
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

POTUS says something. Someone else says it is bollocks albeit with some mishearing which is actually irrelevant. You blame that other person. Bloody funny libertarian approach if you ask me.

(And your logic is wrong. Discouraging method B should if anything encourage Method A, injection.)
    Actually I haven't said whether I thought Trumps soliloquy on experimental covid treatments was helpful in the context it was given. On balance I think it was unhelpful. But it was both spread and distorted to be more dangerous by the gleeful commenters who leaped on it.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

viewcode said:

Farooq said:

Worst. Lamp. Evah

YOU might not want me doing a headstand-splits in the corner of your living room, but don't pretend you speak for everyone.
    Who am i to stand in the way of supply and demand? :)
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Peck said:

Andy_JS said:

Barnesian said:

If it's killing through porphyrin activation it's killing bacteria - and humans have the same molecules.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,682
    viewcode said:

ohnotnow said:

FPT

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

While I'm here, may I ask the PB brains trust a question. I've just spent the best part of a week filleting down a 10K word article to about 3K, and I suspect it'll need further reduction. Is there a fancy dan AI or ChatGPT thing that can do it? Presumably I'll have to remove the equations and graphs first

ChatGPT is excellent at summarising / compacting prose, as you are very heavily "guiding" it via such a large input.

If its written in something like latex, just throw the latex code at it, it will sort it.
    Excellent, thank you. :)
    One great trick for chatgpt i learned recently. Take an academic paper, turn it into an an image, use software to convert say equation to latex, ask chatgpt to code this in say python from latex.
    Fairly sure I saw an announcement that Microsoft had some sort of Edge/Bing/ChatGPT cocktail that would summarise web pages. Possibly US or beta only though. Not sure.
    The Microsoft Edge browser has incorporated Bing Chat and ChatGPT in such a way as to enable this in real time. I found out a few minutes ago. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/4UD5OXSHWvM
    At the weekend I was a bit bored and wrote a little script that loops over downloaded pdf's and gives you multiple summaries of each in different styles. So you can get a summary for a domain expert, an 'elevator pitch' summary, and easy-to-understand layperson summary - whatever. It was surprisingly easy to do with the OpenAI API's.
    I'd ask you for the script, but I suspect I'm a few generations off comprehension. If I ever find myself in a position to use it, can I ask you for a copy?
    You can simply ask ChatGPT to write the script for you
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    I see parties in the BBC case appear to be lawyering up.

...Persephone Bridgman Baker, a partner at Carter-Ruck, has spoken on Sky News about the legal situation, reminding viewers why the name of the presenter has been kept from the public eye so far...

'Persephone', and 'Carter-Ruck' do not make the most euphonious of combinations.

That's him gone, then.

"No 10 expresses confidence in BBC director general."
  • Options
    PeckPeck Posts: 517
    edited July 2023
    Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

Sounds like Sturgeon saw Alec Baldwin on Saturday Night Live in which he played Trump drinking bleach.

It's a reasonable point that a politician shouldn't have talked on TV about drinking bleach. For obvious reasons. (Not because it's a misrendering of Trump's contribution.)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

ohnotnow said:

FPT

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

While I'm here, may I ask the PB brains trust a question. I've just spent the best part of a week filleting down a 10K word article to about 3K, and I suspect it'll need further reduction. Is there a fancy dan AI or ChatGPT thing that can do it? Presumably I'll have to remove the equations and graphs first

ChatGPT is excellent at summarising / compacting prose, as you are very heavily "guiding" it via such a large input.

If its written in something like latex, just throw the latex code at it, it will sort it.
    Excellent, thank you. :)
    One great trick for chatgpt i learned recently. Take an academic paper, turn it into an an image, use software to convert say equation to latex, ask chatgpt to code this in say python from latex.
    Fairly sure I saw an announcement that Microsoft had some sort of Edge/Bing/ChatGPT cocktail that would summarise web pages. Possibly US or beta only though. Not sure.
    The Microsoft Edge browser has incorporated Bing Chat and ChatGPT in such a way as to enable this in real time. I found out a few minutes ago. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/4UD5OXSHWvM
    At the weekend I was a bit bored and wrote a little script that loops over downloaded pdf's and gives you multiple summaries of each in different styles. So you can get a summary for a domain expert, an 'elevator pitch' summary, and easy-to-understand layperson summary - whatever. It was surprisingly easy to do with the OpenAI API's.
    I'd ask you for the script, but I suspect I'm a few generations off comprehension. If I ever find myself in a position to use it, can I ask you for a copy?
    You can simply ask ChatGPT to write the script for you
    I'll...bear that in mind. Thank you
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,951
    I'm not paying a huge amount of attention to the BBC story, but I am wondering why MPs and ministers specifically think they can take the high moral ground about sexual assault / indecency when it is often and widely rumoured that many MPs and indeed ministers are also sex pests, and it is widely kept under the covers. The BBC seems to have allowed the police to do what they need to do, suspended the individual, whilst also not publicly naming them due to the conventions on naming suspects in open investigations. That seems to be better protocol than the whip keeping the info as potential blackmail to make sure votes get passed.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Peck said:

Andy_JS said:

Barnesian said:

If it's killing through porphyrin activation it's killing bacteria - and humans have the same molecules.
    Once again, virtually all medical interventions are noxious by their very nature.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,329
    148grss said:

I'm not paying a huge amount of attention to the BBC story, but I am wondering why MPs and ministers specifically think they can take the high moral ground about sexual assault / indecency when it is often and widely rumoured that many MPs and indeed ministers are also sex pests, and it is widely kept under the covers. The BBC seems to have allowed the police to do what they need to do, suspended the individual, whilst also not publicly naming them due to the conventions on naming suspects in open investigations. That seems to be better protocol than the whip keeping the info as potential blackmail to make sure votes get passed.

Well, that is the difference between rumour and self-confessed fact. The latter is much easier to mount a criticism of.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,843

Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

Actually I haven't said whether I thought Trumps soliloquy on experimental covid treatments was helpful in the context it was given. On balance I think it was unhelpful. But it was both spread and distorted to be more dangerous by the gleeful commenters who leaped on it.
    Did you not watch it? Absolute clownshow it was.
  • Options
    PeckPeck Posts: 517
    Nigelb said:

I see parties in the BBC case appear to be lawyering up.

...Persephone Bridgman Baker, a partner at Carter-Ruck, has spoken on Sky News about the legal situation, reminding viewers why the name of the presenter has been kept from the public eye so far...

'Persephone', and 'Carter-Ruck' do not make the most euphonious of combinations.

That's him gone, then.

"No 10 expresses confidence in BBC director general."

Craig Oliver says he thinks there is "a lot more to the case than meets the eye".

The Met say further enquiries are underway to establish "whether there is evidence of a criminal offence being committed".

Oliver may have a point, given that that's what the Met say today and yet they are supposed to have met with "the family", presumably meaning at least the alleged victim and their mother, on Friday. OTOH he may not be choosing his words very carefully at the moment, because he has also said "I do think that alarm bells should be ringing for all of us". That's probably quoted out of context but there you go.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/bbc-suspends-presenter-accused-rumours-explicit-photos-b2372252.html

Someone should open a book on whose name will enter the public domain first - the suspended BBC presenter's, or the "WFZ" chap who successfully got a restraining order on the BBC. I reckon it might be the presenter's.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,890
    Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

And ozempic.
    rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

And ozempic.
    Sure, even if one expands 'medical doctor' to cover the nurses who gave me my last few covid and pneumococcus injections.
    And many pharmacists. And the list goes on...
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

No, I don't think so. Didn't really interest me.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,078
    Igor Strelkov commenting on Putin's meeting with Prigozhin and Wagner: "I'm waiting for news about his meeting with the commanders of the Azov Battalion to hear their version of the battle for Mariupol."
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,559

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Peck said:

Andy_JS said:

Barnesian said:

I strongly advise against ingesting a big swallow. A European swallow can weigh up to 0.8 ounces while an African swallow can be as big as 2 ounces.

That said, you may not have time to take evasive action if one is heading for your mouth, given that the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow can reach 40mph.
    Isn’t the issue also how much load the swallow is carrying at the time?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,842

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Peck said:

Andy_JS said:

Barnesian said:

I strongly advise against ingesting a big swallow. A European swallow can weigh up to 0.8 ounces while an African swallow can be as big as 2 ounces.

That said, you may not have time to take evasive action if one is heading for your mouth, given that the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow can reach 40mph.
    And those who do, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Peck said:

Andy_JS said:

Barnesian said:

Swift.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,154
    Tsitsipas knocked out by Eubanks
  • Options

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

And ozempic.
    rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

And ozempic.
    Rather asinine contributions that do absolutely nothing to undermine the central point, but do continue.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    We have swallows or maybe house martins nesting under the eaves at the front of the house. When we have the sliding windows/doors open, they often fly in and out.

This is very exciting. I love birds and where I live is great for them. I haven't quite reached the "twitcher" stage but it can only be a matter of time.

• Options

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

And ozempic.
    rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

And ozempic.
    Rather asinine contributions that do absolutely nothing to undermine the central point, but do continue.
    Ever heard of illicit drugs? Lots of syringes and needles sloshing around the community, too.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,559
    DougSeal said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Peck said:

Andy_JS said:

Barnesian said:

That’s The Book Of Armaments, not The Book of Coconuts.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

We have swallows or maybe house martins nesting under the eaves at the front of the house. When we have the sliding windows/doors open, they often fly in and out.

This is very exciting. I love birds and where I live is great for them. I haven't quite reached the "twitcher" stage but it can only be a matter of time.

Good for you. There seem to be fewer and fewer every year, alas.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Peck said:

Andy_JS said:

Barnesian said:

Sorry. Theology was never a strong suit of mine…
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Peck said:

Andy_JS said:

Barnesian said:

Oh, you didn't get as far as the Seventh Seal?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,290
    Nigelb said:

Perhaps 1 percent of Americans would agree with me, but I think Noemie Emery had it right in 2008, when she said that both Obama and Palin had promise -- but that neither was ready to be president. (Sadly, the unfair treatment Palin received from much of our media seems to have stunted her growth. And Obama seems to have learned little from his failures.)

I think you can argue Obama got it too early. But putting him in the same category as Palin, and saying the media coverage "stunted her growth" is crackers.

She was 48 years old when she ran for VP. She'd been a governor for six years. She was just a really bad candidate who had a poor grasp of the national issues and couldn't hack it, and McCain f***ed up the due diligence. Even after the campaign, she could've salvaged her reputation through a swift return to office, but choose to mess about on the media and a messy personal life, before botching her comeback last year, losing to a Democrat in a deep red state. Ultimately, she was and is a bit of a fool, rather than someone who simply should've been left to marinate for a few more years.
    It's notable that Republicans decrying Obama's unfitness for the presidency gloss over the fitness - and legacy - of his predecessor.
    Iraq was a foreign policy disaster well beyond the (undoubted) mistakes made by Obama, As were other aspects of the Bush legacy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/07/10/bucharest-2008-nato-summit-history-vilnius-putin-georgia-ukraine-membership/
    The antecedents to the Russian invasion of Ukraine arguably lie in a NATO summit 15 years ago. Leaders at the 2008 meeting of the Western military alliance in the Romanian capital, Bucharest, failed to find unanimity on whether to grant membership to former Soviet republics Georgia and Ukraine. The two countries were offered a vague commitment of entering the alliance at some point in the future, with no established plan regarding how or when that could be achieved.

The halfhearted gesture reflected division within the West at the time. On one side, you had the administration of President George W. Bush, deeply unpopular abroad after the ruinous war in Iraq and eking out its final year in office, which sought to offer the two countries a formal NATO “Membership Action Plan.” On the other, a clutch of Western European governments, led by Germany and its chancellor, Angela Merkel, believed that neither Georgia nor Ukraine were politically ready to enter the alliance and looked askance at initiatives that may “poke the bear” of the Kremlin.

Their disagreement yielded an outcome that satisfied few. Depending on who you listen to, the summit in Bucharest made Georgia and Ukraine targets for Russian invasion either because it provoked Russian President Vladimir Putin into taking action against the threat of NATO on his border or because it precisely failed to clearly extend NATO’s collective security protections to these states. Just a few months later, Russian forces seized the Georgian regions of South Ossetia and Abkhazia, installing puppet regimes that few outside Moscow recognize to this day. In 2014, after protests brought down a pro-Moscow government in Kyiv, Ukraine, Russia illegally annexed Crimea and backed a separatist insurgency in Ukraine’s southeast.

Fifteen years ago, Putin was present in Bucharest, on NATO’s invitation, and is said to have privately told Bush then that he didn’t see Ukraine as a “real nation-state.” In a speech he delivered to the NATO crowd, he described membership in the alliance for Georgia and Ukraine as a “direct threat” to Russia. He also spoke of Ukraine as a Soviet invention and cast doubt on its sovereignty, suggesting a major chunk of its population were simply “Russians” and that Crimea itself was almost exclusively Russian...
    Really not sure why you are using this example as a means to criticise Bush. According to that excerpt,. Bush was very much in favour oif moving Ukraine and Georgia towards NATO membership and it was the European allies who were opposed. In that instance in my eyes Bush was absolutely right.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I thought this week was tennis ?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Peck said:

Andy_JS said:

Barnesian said:

Though you do believe in Truss.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Peck said:

Andy_JS said:

Barnesian said:

A Trusstafarian.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

House martins is mud nests, I think
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,791
    Cyclefree said:

Swallows have a much longer forked tail and a patch of red near the head.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,839
    Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

I thought this week was tennis ?
    Sounds to me like the ECB has downed another Greek PM :wink:
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

Well I'm with you there. Donald Trump being an utter dick is too commonplace to be called 'interesting'.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,839
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Peck said:

Andy_JS said:

Barnesian said:

A Trusstafarian.
    Touched by her pork markets appendage? :open_mouth:
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,154
    Interesting that Petrokovitiva (sp?) needs the loo already. She's only been playing 20 minutes
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

My Wimbo prediction is Alcaraz edges Novak in a seminal Final. The kid is ready to beat the goat imo.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

Well I'm with you there. Donald Trump being an utter dick is too commonplace to be called 'interesting'.
    I agree. He is however a dick who has an amazing gift for bringing out the dickishness in his opponents.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

I agree. He is however a dick who has an amazing gift for bringing out the dickishness in his opponents.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52407177

The disinfectant got plenty of attention straight away, just off his own bat (so to speak). Plenty of reports.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Peck said:

Andy_JS said:

Barnesian said:

A Trusstafarian.
    Touched by her pork markets appendage? :open_mouth:
    I had to look those up to work out what it was!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Interesting that Petrokovitiva (sp?) needs the loo already. She's only been playing 20 minutes

Maybe she just over-hydrated before the start of the match.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,468
    edited July 2023
    Labour leads by 21%, the largest lead for Labour since 19 March.

Westminster VI (9 July):

Labour 48% (+2)
    Conservative 27% (-1)
    Liberal Democrat 11% (–)
    Reform UK 5% (–)
    Green 4% (-1)
    Scottish National Party 3% (–)
    Other 1% (-1)

Changes +/- 2 July

redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/latest-gb-voti…

https://twitter.com/redfieldwilton/status/1678433906088091648?s=46
  • Options

Labour leads by 21%, the largest lead for Labour since 19 March.

Westminster VI (9 July):

Labour 48% (+2)
    Conservative 27% (-1)
    Liberal Democrat 11% (–)
    Reform UK 5% (–)
    Green 4% (-1)
    Scottish National Party 3% (–)
    Other 1% (-1)

Changes +/- 2 July

redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/latest-gb-voti…

https://twitter.com/redfieldwilton/status/1678433906088091648?s=46

52% Not Labour. The will of the people is clear.
  • Options
    RFK Jr is 12 for the DEM nomination and same price 12 for the WH. What's going on with that?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    kinabalu said:

RFK Jr is 12 for the DEM nomination and same price 12 for the WH. What's going on with that?

Incompetence?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,133

Nigelb said:

Really not sure why you are using this example as a means to criticise Bush. According to that excerpt,. Bush was very much in favour oif moving Ukraine and Georgia towards NATO membership and it was the European allies who were opposed. In that instance in my eyes Bush was absolutely right.
    Everyone seems to forget that back in 2004 the pro-Russian candidate tried to steal the Ukrainian election, whilst the pro-western one was poisoned. Naturally Putin was seen celebrating with the fake winner.

Just as the Ukrainian population did not want an association agreement with Russia in 2013, it isn't clear that there would have been much support for joining Nato in 2008.
  • Options
    Kaboom

Starmer leads Sunak by 10%, his joint-largest lead since Sunak became PM.

At this moment, which of the following do Britons think would be the better Prime Minister for the UK? (9 July)

Keir Starmer 42% (+4)
    Rishi Sunak 32% (-2)

Changes +/- 2 July

https://twitter.com/redfieldwilton/status/1678436470367870976?s=46
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Incompetence?
    Money laundering.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Incompetence?
    Incompetent not to lay that 12 for the WH is what I'm thinking. I have my Big Short on Trump so I can lay it for quite a lot for free. The guy's a kook and has no chance of the DEM nomination surely let alone the presidency. Am I missing something that keener US watchers wish to warn me about before I hit the button on this?
  • Options

Kaboom

At this moment, which of the following do Britons think would be the better Prime Minister for the UK? (9 July)

Keir Starmer 42% (+4)
    Rishi Sunak 32% (-2)

Changes +/- 2 July

Close to 'sealing the deal' now in that dull way of his.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,051

Kaboom

Keir Starmer 42% (+4)
    Rishi Sunak 32% (-2)

Changes +/- 2 July

32% for Sunak still higher than most of the current Tory voteshares though
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,887

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Peck said:

Andy_JS said:

Barnesian said:

Once again, virtually all medical interventions are noxious by their very nature.
    Are trying to unseat @HYUFD from his position of WTF poster of the year by defending Trumps remarks?
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,859
    kinabalu said:

Kaboom

Keir Starmer 42% (+4)
    Rishi Sunak 32% (-2)

Changes +/- 2 July

Close to 'sealing the deal' now in that dull way of his.
    Oh I think the deal was sealed some time ago, and it's now just a question of how big the deal will be.
  • Options
    Conservatives cut Labour lead and squeeze Reform with gold standard Survation

Westminster Voting Intention:

'LAB: 45% (=)
    CON: 30% (+2)
    LDM: 11% (=)
    SNP: 3% (=)
    GRN: 3% (=)
    RFM: 3% (-2)

Via
    @Survation
    , 30 Jun - 2 Jul.
    Changes w/ 23-26 Jun.'
    https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1678429830579093510?s=20
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Via
    @Survation
    , 30 Jun - 2 Jul.
    Changes w/ 23-26 Jun.'

11 day old poll.

Out of date.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Kaboom

Keir Starmer 42% (+4)
    Rishi Sunak 32% (-2)

Changes +/- 2 July

Never change, HYUFD, never change. The world would lose a unique voice.
  • Options
    Could Starmer do the Tories what Labour did to the Liberals in the 20th century?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Kaboom

Keir Starmer 42% (+4)
    Rishi Sunak 32% (-2)

Changes +/- 2 July

A choice of two, versus the actual choice in polling for parties ... Not exactly comparable.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,904

Kaboom

Keir Starmer 42% (+4)
    Rishi Sunak 32% (-2)

Changes +/- 2 July

Pretty bad for Sunak, given that the best PM question tends to favour the incumbent.

I'm feeling vindicated, as I argued many months ago on here that people, from all sides, were over-rating Sunak and that he was, in fact, pretty useless. I stand by that.
    What is the point of Sunak? What does he want to achieve, other than "boat-stopping"?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Incompetence?
    Incompetent not to lay that 12 for the WH is what I'm thinking. I have my Big Short on Trump so I can lay it for quite a lot for free. The guy's a kook and has no chance of the DEM nomination surely let alone the presidency. Am I missing something that keener US watchers wish to warn me about before I hit the button on this?
    The only reason for not laying him at current odds is that you might have to tie up funds for quite a while for a modest return. If you can lay him for free, then I'd go for it.

(Full disclosure: I've laid him at 12.0)
  • Options
    edited July 2023

kinabalu said:

Incompetence?
    Money laundering.
    Talking of which, I took your advice and declined the cash sale for our land. The fella still wanted it, and it's going through our solicitors. For 10 grand less than the cash price, but still happy and less hassle than the risk of putting it through auction!

That large cash transaction was a nightmare.

You’ve saved yourself a world of grief.
  • Options
    edited July 2023

Could Starmer do the Tories what Labour did to the Liberals in the 20th century?

Don't think the Tories would end up as a relict tribe (so to speak) of crofter-fisherfolk. Definitely very anti-Tory, those actual LDs of the controlled tenurial lands.
  • Options
    edited July 2023

No, as only around 10-15% of 2019 Conservative voters are voting Starmer Labour, more back RefUK or are DK than have switched to Labour.

Whereas Labour took most Liberal votes in the early 20th century, helped too by winning lots of new working class voters who could vote for the first time from 1918.

The only party which could overtake the Tories is ReformUK, as Labour was the only party which could overtake the Liberals
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Incompetence?
    Money laundering.
    Talking of which, I took your advice and declined the cash sale for our land. The fella still wanted it, and it's going through our solicitors. For 10 grand less than the cash price, but still happy and less hassle than the risk of putting it through auction!

At current bank interest rates, simply being able to put it into the bank straight away without argument is going to more than make up, I suspect.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,108

kinabalu said:

Incompetence?
    Money laundering.

Big cash is a huge issue, when I played cards for a living came back with 40k in cash. Friend that worked at a bank goes....dont even try and deposit that
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Via
    @Survation
    , 30 Jun - 2 Jul.
    Changes w/ 23-26 Jun.'

11 day old poll.

Out of date.
    Yet Survation was by far the most accurate pollster in 2015 and 2017 and pretty accurate in 2019 too
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,997
    Good evening

Biden will be 82 on the 20th November 24 and frankly it is astonishingly that he may be reelected to the POTUS and 86 in 2028 at the end of his term

With Trump the possible other choice the question has to be -

Why can't the US do any better in their choices of POTUS

I note another bad poll tonight for Sunak and the conservatives and I can only assume the summer recess can't come quickly enough for both of them
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,865
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Via
    @Survation
    , 30 Jun - 2 Jul.
    Changes w/ 23-26 Jun.'

11 day old poll.

Out of date.
    Yet Survation was by far the most accurate pollster in 2015 and 2017 and pretty accurate in 2019 too
    It's week old news - not really much use other than showing that Survation need a whole week to release a poll
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,293

HYUFD said:

Via
    @Survation
    , 30 Jun - 2 Jul.
    Changes w/ 23-26 Jun.'

11 day old poll.

Out of date.
    Why is being 11 days out of date important when the election isn't for 18 months (probably)?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,997
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Via
    @Survation
    , 30 Jun - 2 Jul.
    Changes w/ 23-26 Jun.'

11 day old poll.

Out of date.
    To be fair you do cling onto any straw you can find but the polling is very poor for Sunak and the conservatives with little indication that this is going to change
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,249
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

Kaboom

Keir Starmer 42% (+4)
    Rishi Sunak 32% (-2)

Changes +/- 2 July

Never change, HYUFD, never change. The world would lose a unique voice.
    Getting more unique by the week, if the polls are to be believed.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 77,800
    edited July 2023
    Christ on a bike, there are huge numbers of people on the twitters that if they don't already live in their mum's basement they will do once the lawyers get on to them.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,042

18 months out yet.

Are you trying to lull lefties into a false sense of security so they don't bother to turnout and you get another magnificent majority?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,395
    kinabalu said:

My guess. Campaign is indirectly backing the WH price in order to gain credibility for fundraising that far exceeds the loss of stake on the WH price, and are virtually the only non trading backers, but are inactive in DEM nomination market so left to cross market arbers to back him in that one.

Similar prices available with Rose, Bloomberg and a few others in recent years, often complete outsiders but with big initial access to money.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 77,800
    Claims made by the mother at the heart of the BBC presenter scandal are "rubbish", a lawyer representing the young person has said.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,249

Kaboom

Keir Starmer 42% (+4)
    Rishi Sunak 32% (-2)

Changes +/- 2 July

Pretty bad for Sunak, given that the best PM question tends to favour the incumbent.

I'm feeling vindicated, as I argued many months ago on here that people, from all sides, were over-rating Sunak and that he was, in fact, pretty useless. I stand by that.
    What is the point of Sunak? What does he want to achieve, other than "boat-stopping"?
    Keep even less suitable Conservatives out of Downing Street. It's not much, but it is something.
This discussion has been closed.