Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » By-election second places are no longer good enough for UKI

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited February 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » By-election second places are no longer good enough for UKIP. A win in 2014 would be a great launchpad for the general election

politicalbetting.com is proudly powered by WordPress
with "Neat!" theme. Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    Probably true, it would go a long way to convincing many of its supporters not to waver come GE time by proving they can win a seat, but this upcoming one looks solidly Labour apparently, and what are the odds a seat which is the perfect storm that would be just right for them comes along?
  • Options
    Depends what their objective is.

I suspect they'd rather win the European elections than a single Westminster by-election. If they wouldn't, then they should. Concentrating on a few constituencies here and there is a blind alley leading to a mirage.

UKIP also need the right by-election to come up. A traditionally safe Labour seat with a Con-LD government doesn't give them much hope.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Depends what their objective is.

I suspect they'd rather win the European elections than a single Westminster by-election. If they wouldn't, then they should. Concentrating on a few constituencies here and there is a blind alley leading to a mirage.

It depends on what goals they want to strive for, you are quite right. Their rhetoric against the 'mainstream' parties and fervour of many of its cheerleaders demand they try damn hard for a Westminster seat, even if concentrating on trying to dominate the Euros is a more sensible and achievable goal.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited February 2014
    "and what are the odds a seat which is the perfect storm that would be just right for them comes along? "

It's possible, but probable? Not so much. Time is running out. An MP isn't everything of course but Galloway and the Greens got one so if a by-election doesn't come along you can be 100% certain Crosby and the tories will use that to hammer home the message the kippers are a fringe protest party after the EU elections are fading into memory. Will it work? By itself it's simply not enough ammunition for Cammie to get them under 5% and back to 2010 levels. That would need a Farage and kipper implosion and/or outbreak of deadly serious kipper infighting.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Don't worry on UKIP's behalf, Mike. UKIP will get that first place before very long and then watch the Tory PB jaws drop and probably a few Labour long faces too. As for your Lib/dems they no longer have faces or jaws to drop; politically speaking, that is.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Don't worry on UKIP's behalf, Mike. UKIP will get that first place before very long and then watch the Tory PB jaws drop and probably a few Labour long faces too. As for your Lib/dems they no longer have faces or jaws to drop; politically speaking, that is.

I applaud the confidence, but it's a legitimate question to ask how long UKIP can maintain their momentum. For me it's all about what happens post 2015 - I'd be amazed if UKIP got less than 6% minimum at the GE, but the chances of a seat win are still low, and it's a question of how well UKIP can kick off from that result that will determine if they can win seats thereafter which seems an achievable goal to me, particular with a Labour government not going forward with a referendum on the EU and the Tories probably imploding having lost the GE because of UKIP to a large degree.

I'm not sure what impact Scottish independence will have on UKIP's chances of winning a seat - having failed to save the Union or win the GE, I figure the conservative vote may or may not really take a battering, which could open up opportunities for UKIP.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Concentrating on a few constituencies here and there is a blind alley leading to a mirage.

For the Lib Dems it lead to Government and the chance to change the voting system to entrench themselves in power.
  • Options
    Suggests a good improvement, but it's still very bouncy.

A win for UKIP would be highly significant. Not sure I see it happening.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

"and what are the odds a seat which is the perfect storm that would be just right for them comes along? "

It's possible, but probable? Not so much. Time is running out. An MP isn't everything of course but Galloway and the Greens got one so if a by-election doesn't come along you can be 100% certain Crosby and the tories will use that to hammer home the message the kippers are a fringe protest party after the EU elections are fading into memory. Will it work? By itself it's simply not enough ammunition for Cammie to get them under 5% and back to 2010 levels. That would need a Farage and kipper implosion and/or outbreak of deadly serious kipper infighting.

But what has it achieved for the Greens or Respect? They are marginal voices in parliament - Lucas probably gets less airtime now than she did pre-2010.

UKIP can have far more impact on the political narrative by threatening the position of 200 existing MPs - not necessarily to their own candidate but by taking enough votes to affect the result - than by fighting a dozen really hard and maybe winning three or four.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    edited February 2014
    If it happens, Ribble South will be the test. It's white, elderly, and Tory with UKIP becoming the main challengers pretty much overnight if a by-election is called. And if one is called, what better example of the main parties and Tories especially being sleazy and needing a change etc than the MP resigning in his circumstances?

*NB: I don't know if Nigel Evans is guilty, I'm not saying he's guilty. I'm just saying if he triggers a by-election because of it that will be politically bad for the Tories in holding the seat.
  • Options
    Mr. Herdson, whilst that's a good point I think UKIP's in a stronger position than the Greens or Respect. Respect is (or was, not sure if they've parted company) effectively the George Galloway Party. It might become something else, but at the moment that's what it seems to be. The Greens have never really had a strong position in the country.

UKIP are regularly outpolling the Lib Dems. They're likely to win the next European elections. And whilst they are a bit one man show others, such as Nutall, are being given more prominence. They could fade away again, or become the fourth party of UK politics.
  • Options
    @Quincel

While there could be a by-election in Ribble Valley it's not quite ideal territory for UKIP. They must have done better in dozens of other seats in last year's locals. Mind you there is a tradition of large by-election swings in the constituency...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    What UKIP need is a by-election somewhere along the east coast from Humberside to Kent. Both Wythenshawe and Ribble Valley are unlikely to give them better than second place IMO.
  • Options
    Neil said:

@Quincel

While there could be a by-election in Ribble Valley it's not quite ideal territory for UKIP. They must have done better in dozens of other seats in last year's locals. Mind you there is a tradition of large by-election swings in the constituency...

Fair points all, an East Coast seat with similar qualities would be ideal. I guess I think Ribble Valley has the best combination of likelihood and UKIP fertile ground.
  • Options
    @Quincel

It's tough to think of a Kent seat where you wouldnt give them a fighting chance of a win but all those Kent MPs seem healthy and squeaky clean ;)
  • Options
    Neil said:

Concentrating on a few constituencies here and there is a blind alley leading to a mirage.

For the Lib Dems it lead to Government and the chance to change the voting system to entrench themselves in power.
    It took the Lib Dems six decades to get there and in fact the LDs experience is why I'm convinced that it's a doomed grand strategy for any party that really aspires to government.

The Lib Dems' success was based on:

- Very hard working activists
    - Focussing relentlessly on local issues
    - Being seen as nice and untainted, particularly in comparison against the parties of government.
    - Winning tactical votes against Con or Lab by building on a local base and then being the least worst option.

Which was all very well when small and in opposition but was always unsustainable as soon as they had to adopt and stick to policies in government, which would inevitably include all sorts of unpopular ones into the bargain. Simply going into government would undermine part of that tactical coalition, while the policies would hit the bucket protest vote. Yet there came a point where growing to 50, 60, 70 MPs meant it was highly likely that they would end up in government as a junior partner.

It is true that they might have had the chance to reform the voting system but even if they did, would it have helped. The Scottish elections were held under PR and the Lib Dems can still arrive in a taxi. The European elections will be held under PR and the Lib Dems might be able to go in a motorcycle and sidecar. The German Liberals lost their representation in parliament altogether under PR at the last elections, in part because they lost a sense of identity.

The cost of concentrating on a smallish number of seats (10-15% in the Lib Dems' case) is that you inevitably write off 85-90%. As a result, if you ever are in a position to really break through, there are a huge number where you're starting on a very small share. The Lib Dems' vote is well concentrated now to return a mid-double-digit number of MPs. That's no doubt a legacy of their disappointments in the 1980s but as well as a more solid floor, it's also a glass ceiling.

Where does that leave UKIP? They can follow the Lib Dem path and hope one day to have enough MPs to force a referendum - but it might take decades. Or they can use their VI presence now to affect how existing MPs of other parties think and act. Their call.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    I see you have excluded the Scottish Parliamentary byelections where UKIP has done incredibly badly.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

But what has it achieved for the Greens or Respect? They are marginal voices in parliament - Lucas probably gets less airtime now than she did pre-2010.

Difference is Farage (or whoever) would be right there in the thick of it reminding tory MPs that the kippers can win seats. Farage isn't going to storm westminster with dozens of MPs. There's no chance of that. What he is doing however is being a supremely effective pressure group on the tories right now and an MP in the commons would just make that pressure all the more visible, real and terrifying to tory MPs in marginals.

UKIP can have far more impact on the political narrative by threatening the position of 200 existing MPs - not necessarily to their own candidate but by taking enough votes to affect the result - than by fighting a dozen really hard and maybe winning three or four.

They have to fight target seats. Little point in completely diluting all their resources everywhere when they know there is a fairly realistic chance of making a breakthrough somewhere. Nothing would say they were a fringe party of protest more than ignoring the chance to actually get an MP and not going down the route of targeting and maximising their vote where it matters most. In doing so they will also raise their profile elsewhere and encourage activists since it's not as if all there will be no kippers left in other less high profile seats. A high profile and a high VI will help them everywhere. High profile target seats will do that even if they lose most or even all of them.

The kippers have got to the point where if they keep ridding themselves of the extremists and BNP parasites who try to jump on their bandwagon, while trying to fight an election seriously with the intent of winning MPs, then that should be more than enough to cause a huge impact

Farage loves being a pressure group that makes tories jump. Make no mistake about that. But he would be even more effective at that with MPs and would use any MPs to try to become far bigger fourth westminster party that could never be ignored again. That he would love more than anything.

Will the kippers win seats? Maybe, maybe not. Will fighting an election like they want to win seats be invaluable practice if they hope to have a future after 2015? Absolutely.

• Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Depends on
    1) is the BBC version of reality true or not,
    2) did the credit bubble 1998-2008 disguise massive underlying problems or not.

One set of answers to those questions says Ukip are better off gradually trying to build the groundswell to good 2nd places everywhere and then over the top in one go.
  • Options

I see you have excluded the Scottish Parliamentary byelections where UKIP has done incredibly badly.

The UKIP vote in Scotland is mostly picked up by the SNP.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    It's not just ideal seats it's ideal seats where the by-election is caused by a death as it should be obvious now there will be zero pressure from the dominant media for resignations in places where Ukip could be in with a shout.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

it should be obvious now there will be zero pressure from the dominant media for resignations in places where Ukip could be in with a shout.

One of your more amusing conspiracy theories. There's nothing the tabloids and media hate more than scandals and possible resignations after all. When did that ever sell papers?

*chortle*
  • Options
    Mr. Herdson, I'm not sure you're comparing like with like. The challenges the Lib Dems faced and UKIP face currently are very different.

The Lib Dems had two very strong parties to try and oust, UKIP have three weaker (relative to the middle of the century blues and reds) parties. Esteem of politicians has never been lower, but UKIP are effectively free of the taint, to the extent that even gaffes appear to be refreshing honest or harmless freedom of thought.

That's not to say I think UKIP will storm to power at once. They could yet fade away to nothingness, but if they do rise and rise it'll probably be faster, I think, than the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,287
    What is the cut-off point for not having a by-election and leaving a seat vacant until the GE?

Per link, Evans trial date is set for 10 March. Don't know whether there is a chance of a delay and how long case will last - is there a chance they could just hold out and avoid a by-election even if he is forced to resign?

If he were to resign mid summer I wonder if they might hold by-election on same date as Scottish Independence referendum so it gets overshadowed if UKIP win.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-24397834
  • Options
    smithersjones2013smithersjones2013 Posts: 740
    edited February 2014
    By-election second places are no longer good enough for UKIP. A win in 2014 would be a great launchpad for the general election

Hmmmmm? According to who? This sounds like a set up line for sage Libdem bloggers to metaphorically shake their heads sombrely, tug their chins and declare the 'UKIP rising' dead the next time UKIP don't win a by-election (even one where Lord Ashcroft's polling indicates in the run-up they are 47 points behind the certain winner).

Sure it would be great if in one of UKIPs target seats (where they have previously done well) there was suddenly a by-election but outside those 10 or maybe 20 seats its totally unrealistic to believe that UKIP could achieve more than second place in the current climate.

• Options
    MikeL said:

What is the cut-off point for not having a by-election and leaving a seat vacant until the GE?

I believe that any party can call the by-election once the seat is vacant, it is simply convention to allow the holders to choose. But if the Tories tried to leave a seat open for an unusually long time, and another party wished, they could trigger the by-election.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    MikeL said:

Per link, Evans trial date is set for 10 March. Don't know whether there is a chance of a delay and how long case will last - is there a chance they could just hold out and avoid a by-election even if he is forced to resign?

If he were to resign mid summer I wonder if they might hold by-election on same date as Scottish Independence referendum so it gets overshadowed if UKIP win.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-24397834

There isn't a formal cut off date as far as I know. A writ is apparently usually moved within 3 months. With a GE in the offing I'd reckon 6 months would be the max.

Mid-summer I don't think so, not for a referendum that isn't taking place in the area.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,678
    edited February 2014
    AndyJS said:

The UKIP vote in Scotland is mostly picked up by the SNP.
    That would surprise me - not least because of the rather different electoral performances, and views on Europe, shown by the SNP and UKIP - not to mention their views on the UK. The other possibilities are (a) that the Tories in Scotland are the right wing fringe party, which I think is putting it a bit strong, or (b) that that there is almost no UKIP vote, of course.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited February 2014

Mr. Herdson, I'm not sure you're comparing like with like. The challenges the Lib Dems faced and UKIP face currently are very different.

The Lib Dems had two very strong parties to try and oust, UKIP have three weaker (relative to the middle of the century blues and reds) parties. Esteem of politicians has never been lower, but UKIP are effectively free of the taint, to the extent that even gaffes appear to be refreshing honest or harmless freedom of thought.

That's not to say I think UKIP will storm to power at once. They could yet fade away to nothingness, but if they do rise and rise it'll probably be faster, I think, than the Lib Dems.

I wonder, Mr. D. what sort of conversations our forefathers would have been having about the Labour Party had the internet existed in the early 1900s.

"Don't vote for the Labour Party. They can't get in so a vote for them is a wasted vote and will just let the Tories back in. You must vote Liberal, at least the are not as bad"

A bit over a century ago an awful lot of people came to the conclusion that the political classes didn't speak for them or represent their views.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    The fifth Olympic ring which didn't open properly was probably the gay one.
  • Options
    If people who live in Flatland have got their houses flooded, it's their own stupid fault for living in a flat low-lying area in the first place instead of living slightly up a hill like normal people.
  • Options

But that's part of my point. The circumstances are very different so why is it assumed the tactical and strategic prescription should be the same? Especially when (1) I'm far from convinced that it's worked for the Lib Dems anyway and (2) UKIP have a central purpose that could actually be undermined by taking the prescription.

Yes, a Westminster by-election win would certainly shake things up and if they get the chance, they have to take it. However, winning the European elections would, in my opinion, be a bigger win both in its own right and in terms of the knock-on effect on the other parties.

The Lib Dems (and Greens, in Lucas), built their bases locally and strongly first. It's a route but it's not the only one, and it's questionable whether UKIP have the activists to make it work even if they wanted to. Fighting a top-down air war is equally legitimate if the opportunity is there.

UKIP's top priority should be ensuring that Farage appears in four-way PM election-time debates. If they can achieve that, it'll be worth tens of millions of leaflets by itself.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited February 2014

The cost of concentrating on a smallish number of seats (10-15% in the Lib Dems' case) is that you inevitably write off 85-90%. As a result, if you ever are in a position to really break through, there are a huge number where you're starting on a very small share. The Lib Dems' vote is well concentrated now to return a mid-double-digit number of MPs. That's no doubt a legacy of their disappointments in the 1980s but as well as a more solid floor, it's also a glass ceiling.

Where does that leave UKIP? They can follow the Lib Dem path and hope one day to have enough MPs to force a referendum - but it might take decades. Or they can use their VI presence now to affect how existing MPs of other parties think and act. Their call.

Can't they do both?

They concentrate their limited resources on their best prospects, highlighted by the 2014 local election results.

But UKIP think that if they do well in May in the EU and local elections Labour will match the Conservatives EU referendum offer. Perhaps they'll even vote a 2017 referendum bill thru before the 2015 election.
  • Options

I wonder, Mr. D. what sort of conversations our forefathers would have been having about the Labour Party had the internet existed in the early 1900s.

"Don't vote for the Labour Party. They can't get in so a vote for them is a wasted vote and will just let the Tories back in. You must vote Liberal, at least the are not as bad"

A bit over a century ago an awful lot of people came to the conclusion that the political classes didn't speak for them or represent their views.
    Until 1918, Labour was essentially a sister party of the Liberals. Many of Labour's early gains were achieved by the Liberals standing aside. Various other candidates stood as Lib-Lab.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

UKIP's top priority should be ensuring that Farage appears in four-way PM election-time debates. If they can achieve that, it'll be worth tens of millions of leaflets by itself.

Well we already know for 100% certain that won't happen - because OFCOM rules prescribe that GE coverage is weighted by last GE performance.

It's why Farage isn't interviewed by Marr the same as the other party leaders, UKIP only on Question Time occasionally, no regular appearance on This Week etc etc etc etc - it's all very well established and there is zero chance of any change.
  • Options
    FernandoFernando Posts: 145
    UKIP has a major problem as a party which wants to win in FPTP elections: it repels more voters than it attracts. This is as much a problem in local contests as it is in parliamentary by-elections. In contrast, although you might not vote for the Libdems it is difficult to detest what they stand for, so they are able to maximise tactical voting. UKIP’s best chance will be in a contest where three or more parties do well and the can win with a third of the vote. Eastleigh nearly fell into this category.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Cameron coming across a bit desperate on the news at ten.

I fear if any politician can deliver Scottish independence, it is him.

Cerainly a big mistake not to deliver that speech from Scotland.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,423
    Entirely off thread, but I've just been watching the coverage of reaction in Scotland to David Cameron's speech in defence of the union. Honestly, Scots, it's entirely up to you and we don't particularly care either way - just don't try to make out that you're being held here against your will. Rather made me think of (the chorus to) this song:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DTHmPtOTBo
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733

Until 1918, Labour was essentially a sister party of the Liberals. Many of Labour's early gains were achieved by the Liberals standing aside. Various other candidates stood as Lib-Lab.
    Which suggests that the Tories are correct to not even consider any sort of electoral pact.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Back to the original post's claims, I think there are 2nd places and 2nd places. If Ashcroft's poll was replicated on election day I think it would be a disappointment for UKIP, but if they came 2nd with 50%-30% or something and trounced the Tories I think that would keep their momentum at a very decent pace.

EDIT: That's losing with 30% of the vote to Labour's 50%, just to clarify.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,916

By-election second places are no longer good enough for UKIP. A win in 2014 would be a great launchpad for the general election

Hmmmmm? According to who? This sounds like a set up line for sage Libdem bloggers to metaphorically shake their heads sombrely, tug their chins and declare the 'UKIP rising' dead the next time UKIP don't win a by-election (even one where Lord Ashcroft's polling indicates in the run-up they are 47 points behind the certain winner).

Sure it would be great if in one of UKIPs target seats (where they have previously done well) there was suddenly a by-election but outside those 10 or maybe 20 seats its totally unrealistic to believe that UKIP could achieve more than second place in the current climate.

"Hmmmmm? According to who? This sounds like a set up line for sage Libdem bloggers to metaphorically shake their heads sombrely, tug their chins and declare the 'UKIP rising' dead the next time UKIP don't win a by-election (even one where Lord Ashcroft's polling indicates in the run-up they are 47 points behind the certain winner). "

Exactly. Possibly the most transparent setting up some one for a fall ever seen!

Quite embarrassing. I think OGHs misreading of the DNV/others share of the UKIP vote has revved up the hatred to 11 on the spinal tapometer.

Oh look, there's a four runner race tomorrow with a 1/12 fav... If the lightly raced maiden that is second in the betting doesn't turn it over its an absolute disaster for connections
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Maybe. I am absolutely certain though that if he had, he would have been criticised for coming to Scotland to tell them what to do when they don't want no Tories telling them what to do, so he couldn't win.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

PB tories think otherwise and when are they ever wrong?

:)
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Well we already know for 100% certain that won't happen - because OFCOM rules prescribe that GE coverage is weighted by last GE performance.
    They might be Ofcom rules but they could still be subject to legal challenge on the basis of fair coverage. Can you imagine the 1983 election with the SDP being airbrushed out?

If UKIP has just won the last major national election, has outpolled the Lib Dems in the last two sets of local elections, the PCC elections in November 2012 and the great majority of Westminster by-elections all parliament, they might reasonably argue that the rules are not compliant, failing to take into account the significant structural change since 2010 and preventing fair coverage and - consequently - Farage should be entitled to a debate spot.

I'm not saying they'd win but it is at least arguable.
  • Options

MikeL said:

They might be Ofcom rules but they could still be subject to legal challenge on the basis of fair coverage. Can you imagine the 1983 election with the SDP being airbrushed out?

If UKIP has just won the last major national election, has outpolled the Lib Dems in the last two sets of local elections, the PCC elections in November 2012 and the great majority of Westminster by-elections all parliament, they might reasonably argue that the rules are not compliant, failing to take into account the significant structural change since 2010 and preventing fair coverage and - consequently - Farage should be entitled to a debate spot.

Did the SDP get a high level of coverage in 83?

Elections are dealt with separately under Ofcom (i.e. UKIP are a major party for Euros but not GEs) so that wouldn't be especially relevant.

Don't think they've have a hope tbh. Might be worth is as a publicity shot, but not with much hope beyond that.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

It's why Farage isn't interviewed by Marr the same as the other party leaders, UKIP only on Question Time occasionally, no regular appearance on This Week etc etc etc etc - it's all very well established and there is zero chance of any change.
    Hence another need for a by-election win to really step up their campaign. It was hard enough to ignore the pressure for 4 way debates when they got a million notes (or close to it, I forget the exact figure) in 2010, but if they had that, and an MP?

Given they are intending to stand in all or close to all seats, have a good chance of doubling their vote on last time as a conservative estimate, even without an MP it would be hard to argue against them getting included post 2015, but an MP would really seal the deal - otherwise, there's no incentive to alter things, as you say, and for all UKIP's bluster, there is a limit on how many people are going to vote for them out of frustration at the other three; after all, there's a reason they are all very blandly similar in style and substance, despite making efforts to appear distinct policy wise in highly minute areas. Because that is what has worked up to now.

• Options
    Fernando said:

UKIP has a major problem as a party which wants to win in FPTP elections: it repels more voters than it attracts. This is as much a problem in local contests as it is in parliamentary by-elections. In contrast, although you might not vote for the Libdems it is difficult to detest what they stand for, so they are able to maximise tactical voting. UKIP’s best chance will be in a contest where three or more parties do well and the can win with a third of the vote. Eastleigh nearly fell into this category.

Not so!

UKIP is the nation's favourite political party. :-)

http://www.comres.co.uk/poll/1076/sunday-mirror-independent-on-sunday-political-poll.htm

Re: everyone-loves-the-LDs

The LDs are the third choice for Labour supporters, UKIP are the 2nd choice for Labour supporters.

The LDs are the third choice for Conservative supporters, UKIP are the 2nd choice for Conservative supporters.

http://comresupdates.eu.com/DCJ-24O6F-F21LMD8E11/cr.aspx

• Options
    isam said:

"Hmmmmm? According to who? This sounds like a set up line for sage Libdem bloggers to metaphorically shake their heads sombrely, tug their chins and declare the 'UKIP rising' dead the next time UKIP don't win a by-election (even one where Lord Ashcroft's polling indicates in the run-up they are 47 points behind the certain winner). "

Exactly. Possibly the most transparent setting up some one for a fall ever seen!

Quite embarrassing. I think OGHs misreading of the DNV/others share of the UKIP vote has revved up the hatred to 11 on the spinal tapometer.

Oh look, there's a four runner race tomorrow with a 1/12 fav... If the lightly raced maiden that is second in the betting doesn't turn it over its an absolute disaster for connections
    Can't really win either way. PBKippers complain UKIP's chances at forthcoming elections are underrated, but also complain if you raise expectations.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited February 2014
    "PB tories"

Mr. Pork, you keep using that term so presumably you know who you are talking about. I wonder if you would oblige and tell the rest of us. Who are these "PB tories"?
  • Options
    I don't think anyone's suggesting not winning the forthcoming by-election would be a disaster for UKIP, just that while second places are great (particularly coming from where they were previously in many of the cases), they are not good enough if they want a really good launchpad for the GE.
  • Options
    Tories on PB.

:)

• Options

Fernando said:

Not so!

http://www.comres.co.uk/poll/1076/sunday-mirror-independent-on-sunday-political-poll.htm

The LDs are the third choice for Labour supporters, UKIP are the 2nd choice for Labour supporters.

The LDs are the third choice for Conservative supporters, UKIP are the 2nd choice for Conservative supporters.

Not for long if UKIP become a real threat. As Leonard Cohen once sang:

"You loved me as a loser, but now you're afraid that I just might win."
  • Options

It won't happen but if the 1% chance came up even then it is 100% certain Cameron would refuse the debate.

And it is law for certain that he can't be empty chaired during the campaign.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

isam said:

Can't really win either way. PBKippers complain UKIP's chances at forthcoming elections are underrated, but also complain if you raise expectations.
    It's because everyone is out to get UKIP of course. Admittedly some people are (German Foreign Ministers come to mind), but still. I'm totally down with believing the established parties have no interest in granting UKIP any favours, and people who do not favour UKIP downplaying their chances, but I'd like to think some people who do not support UKIP occasionally deploy rational arguments, or at least are not entirely motivated by spite and/or jealousy and fear.

• Options
    Lennon said:

Which suggests that the Tories are correct to not even consider any sort of electoral pact.
    A bit of picking and choosing. Compare the Liberal Unionists as a counter-example. (A Liberal splinter group that the Tories first had a pact with and eventually absorbed, which is why the official party name is Conservative and Unionist party).
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

What's Ed done for the Union? It's not like there are more Labour voters in Scotland, is it? Or that they are more undecided or pro-independence than the Tories?

• Options
    MikeL said:

It won't happen but if the 1% chance came up even then it is 100% certain Cameron would refuse the debate.

No it isn't.

The laws around coverage specify that the parties must be offered the opportunity. If they are given the opportunity and don't turn up it's perfectly legal to empty chair them.
  • Options

Fernando said:

Not so!

Ouch "even in the highly unlikely event that every single current UKIP voter who is favourable towards Mr Cameron ended up voting for the Conservatives at the next election, it still would not be enough to overtake Labour’s current vote share, let alone to give the party an overall majority."
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

PP & Hills shortened their price on Yes today. Entirely coincidental I'm sure.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    edited February 2014
    corporeal said:

MikeL said:

Elections are dealt with separately under Ofcom (i.e. UKIP are a major party for Euros but not GEs) so that wouldn't be especially relevant.

Don't think they've have a hope tbh. Might be worth is as a publicity shot, but not with much hope beyond that.
    The SDP were treated as part of the SDP-Liberal Alliance, but a strict reading of (current) rules could have meant they didn't have to be, ludicrous though such an interpretation would be.

Yes, elections are dealt with separately and UKIP is rightly regarded as a major party for European elections. However, when they've outpolled the Lib Dems in pretty much every set of election, and most Westminster opinion polls, for half a parliament, could it really be considered fair to include the Lib Dems and not UKIP?

That said, as others have mentioned, gaining a parliamentary by-election really would help that case.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331

Yes - went well for the Liberals, didn't it? Possibly a lesson there for Tories tempted to form a pact with UKIP.

The most likely in Wythenshawe seems to be that they'll do better than the poll rating but not come close to winning, which should have a broadly neutral effect. The trouble with winning the Euros, if they do, is that people will say it's because it was the Euros. Like Mike I think they probably do need to win a by-election, or at least come very close.
  • Options
    Personally what I'm most dreading in the by-election is that yet again a Labour win in a safe Labour seat will provoke the usual cliches about showing how the government is out of touch and despised or whatever. I know the same would happen for a Tory win in a safe Tory seat, but it's just so bloody tiresome to hear politicians try and make safe wins in safe seats seem significant one way or another. Were it not for absolute implosion Tory or LD support to lost deposit levels in some of them there would be literally nothing to say about such cases.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

I'm not convinced of either contention there.

Could Cameron afford to be the absent punch-bag of the other three if he didn't turn up (and there's nothing more certain than that he would be in those circumstances). It would be dreadful PR and dreadful politics.

As for the law, IIRC, it's fine to empty chair (or lectern!) someone, providing that they've had reasonable chance to take part and have declined.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Fernando said:

Not so!

Not for long if UKIP become a real threat. As Leonard Cohen once sang:

"You loved me as a loser, but now you're afraid that I just might win."
    Tosh. If UKIP win, the nation will just love them more.

Con/Lab/LD activists may be an exception.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    edited February 2014

Yes - went well for the Liberals, didn't it? Possibly a lesson there for Tories tempted to form a pact with UKIP.

The trick, as alluded to downthread, is to form a pact that's so close it prevents scope for independent action, as with the Conservatives and Liberal Unionists, the Tories and Liberal Nationals, or later, the SDP and Liberals.

To be fair to the Libs with Labour, had WWI not led to the splitting of the Liberals into Asquithite and Lloyd Georgers, with one lot discredited and the other in coalition with (most of) the Tories, Labour might not have emerged as an independent party, though it was heading in that direction even before WWI.
  • Options

corporeal said:

MikeL said:

The SDP were treated as part of the SDP-Liberal Alliance, but a strict reading of (current) rules could have meant they didn't have to be, ludicrous though such an interpretation would be.

Yes, elections are dealt with separately and UKIP is rightly regarded as a major party for European elections. However, when they've outpolled the Lib Dems in pretty much every set of election, and most Westminster opinion polls, for half a parliament, could it really be considered fair to include the Lib Dems and not UKIP?

That said, as others have mentioned, gaining a parliamentary by-election really would help that case.
    Not quite what I was asking. The Alliance came into the 1983 GE with 11 seats, had topped the opinion polls with a high of 50% (!) and a string of by-election victories.

So arguably had a higher disparity between their seat numbers and these other measures. (I am fortunately too young to remember that election, or the level of coverage the Alliance received compared to the other parties).

Under your system surely they'd be entitled to the most coverage of all the parties, or equal at the very least.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Quite so. That is the sticker, in that while I wouldn't mind if UKIP were included in the debates, until their high support consistent in this parliament is actually reflected in a GE (impressive though they are, by-election second places are not the same thing, and a reversion to 5% after 25% in a by-election would make including them seem retroactively inappropriate), it can still be argued with reasonable strength that they are not deserving of such equal representation.

Get enough votes at the GE, 2-3 million, and even if they win no seats and it would be such a massive showing of support that those arguments against non-inclusion would be far harder to sustain.

I know it has its issues, and I've been criticised for it before, but I think the trifecta of MPs, significant levels of support nationally and how many seats they are standing in (to demonstrate they are fighting a truly national campaign) is a fair basis. Include parties if they have MPs and you have to include Greens and Respect, who have no intention of challenging nationally. Make it on seats standing in alone and you might end up giving a party which might have almost no support a platform if they have the dosh to put up enough candidates even with no proven levels of support at previous GEs. If you insist they need MPs and significant support then a party which has millions of votes might be excluded because they have broken through despite such huge support.

Bottom line, if UKIP are patient and don't implode they will get that breakthrough eventually, and the conservatives and the EU itself seem to be all they can to encourage them, unintentionally.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    corporeal said:

isam said:

The under rating by the pollsters is a fact, it not a complaint by kippers. It doesn't really matter that much anyway, I quite enjoy it.

But there is a middle way, not to underestimate and write off or wildly raise expectations, and just be realistic
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    UKIP should bang on more about PR.

It's possible LD+UKIP could get >30% next time, but come away with what? 5% of the seats combined...
  • Options
    isam said:

corporeal said:

isam said:

The under rating by the pollsters is a fact, it not a complaint by kippers. It doesn't really matter that much anyway, I quite enjoy it.

But there is a middle way, not to underestimate and write off or wildly raise expectations, and just be realistic
    I was referring to commenters rather than pollsters. But the perfect sweet spot is always fine if not an easy thing to aim for
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

UKIP should bang on more about PR.

It's possible LD+UKIP could get >30% next time, but come away with what? 5% of the seats combined...

It truly is remarkable that so many millions of people vote or consider voting for parties, which then get representation far below their percentage of support to almost absurd degrees, and yet the public will never give a damn about changing the system I would guess. Short of UKIP getting 10% and no seats, I can't see any talk of PR gaining any traction, and even then, with UKIP having achieved that, the other parties would never seriously put their weight behind a change again would they? They'd prefer to wait and see if UKIP's flame burns bright and then diminishes rather than risk switching to a more proportional system while UKIP were riding high, surely.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,937
    edited February 2014
    corporeal said:

isam said:

Not at all. There are some UKIP supporters/members on here who seem to have utterly unrealistic expectations about their chances at the GE. There are others of us who re far more realistic and think it would be a great achievement to get a couple of seats. What you are seeing there is a genuine difference of opinion rather than a pre scripted hymn sheet like you get from some of the supporters of the other parties on here.

But it is also the case that no one really knows how much of teh UKIP support will remain come the GE even if they have been very successful at the Euros. As such Mike is simply speculating as is everyone else on here, some more realistically than others.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

isam said:

corporeal said:

isam said:

I was referring to commenters rather than pollsters. But the perfect sweet spot is always fine if not an easy thing to aim for
    Might as well reach for the stars!

I try to keep it real by offering bets... if I'm being too bullish I pay through the pocket... But no one takes me up on them!

• Options
    OT - rather amusing comment on the BBC's summary of the papers' headlines. Referring to the Star "Even the Daily Star, which often ploughs its own furrow when it comes to the news agenda, leads with the "killer storm".".

Often ploughs its own furrow when it comes to the news agenda; a delightful little phrase I shall have to steal.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

Not quite what I was asking. The Alliance came into the 1983 GE with 11 seats, had topped the opinion polls with a high of 50% (!) and a string of by-election victories.

at the dissolution in 1983, the Alliance had 42 MPs

11 Liberals elected in 1979
    2 Liberal by-election victors
    27 defectors (26 Lab, 1 Con)
    2 SDP by-election victors

(not including a guy called O'Halloran who defected, then re-defected to sit as Ind. Lab)
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312

The most likely in Wythenshawe seems to be that they'll do better than the poll rating but not come close to winning, which should have a broadly neutral effect. The trouble with winning the Euros, if they do, is that people will say it's because it was the Euros. Like Mike I think they probably do need to win a by-election, or at least come very close.
    There are a whole host of local council elections on the same day as the Euros.

People won't be solely talking about the Euro results.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    UKIP had their chance at Eastleigh (lowest winning share of the vote since 1918, tightest three-cornered since 1921.)

All the ducks were in a row... but a miss is as good as a mile.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    edited February 2014
    UKIP's performance in by-elections will depend where they fall. If one in South Thanet turns up then they would be big favourites surely.

As for this by-election, ~ 25% of the vote is broadly neutral for the narrative, anything over 30% will be a stonking achievement.

Sale and Wythenshawe East is far away from the UKIP heartlands of the East of England. Anyone who thought UKIP was going to win was being very unrealistic.

If you want a barometer of how UKIP will do in a sensible but realistic optimistc fashion read Richard Tyndall and iSam's posts. If you want to read fantasy-land fairy tale stuff and 100% do your cash if you're betting on UKIP then MikeK is your man.

• Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312

A bit over a century ago half the population didn't have the vote!
  • Options
    @kle4

History shows that the electoral system is invariable only changed when one of the big two parties fears being locked out, or supplanted by another.

That's why most European countries changed to PR in the early 1900s. Fear of mass enfranchisement and eternal socialism as a result.

We nearly changed also, but the Liberals fumbled the ball... and lost.
  • Options

corporeal said:

isam said:

Not at all. There are some UKIP supporters/members on here who seem to have utterly unrealistic expectations about their chances at the GE. There are others of us who re far more realistic and think it would be a great achievement to get a couple of seats. What you are seeing there is a genuine difference of opinion rather than a pre scripted hymn sheet like you get from some of the supporters of the other parties on here.

But it is also the case that no one really knows how much of teh UKIP support will remain come the GE even if they have been very successful at the Euros. As such Mike is simply speculating as is everyone else on here, some more realistically than others.
    I'm with you Richard, I think the very best we can hope for at the GE is 2-5 seats and in reality will probably end up with the same as we have now. My view is that 2020 will be UKIP time, or at least what ever incarnation it is at that time. Five years of decimating the country will mean socialism is banished for a generation, good time for something completely different
  • Options
    In Germany we just had an election where two parties with about 10% of the vote between them ended up with zero seats despite a so-called proportional system.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

@kle4

History shows that the electoral system is invariable only changed when one of the big two parties fears being locked out, or supplanted by another.

That's why most European countries changed to PR in the early 1900s. Fear of mass enfranchisement and eternal socialism as a result.

We nearly changed a couple of times. The closest I think was in the late 20s under Macdonald.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

UKIP had their chance at Eastleigh (lowest winning share of the vote since 1918, tightest three-cornered since 1921.)

All the ducks were in a row... but a miss is as good as a mile.

Apparently they won most votes on polling day itself but the LDs had a big advantage with postals.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

corporeal said:

at the dissolution in 1983, the Alliance had 42 MPs

11 Liberals elected in 1979
    2 Liberal by-election victors
    27 defectors (26 Lab, 1 Con)
    2 SDP by-election victors

(not including a guy called O'Halloran who defected, then re-defected to sit as Ind. Lab)
    My apologies for my sloppiness (genuinely).
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

In Germany we just had an election where two parties with about 10% of the vote between them ended up with zero seats despite a so-called proportional system.

Correct. And if the threshold had been applied separately to the old East-West (as it was in 1990) they would have won around 5% of the seats.

Electoral systems can be cruel and paradoxical. That's why they interest me so much...
  • Options
    corporeal said:

RodCrosby said:

@kle4

We nearly changed a couple of times. The closest I think was in the late 20s under Macdonald.
    AV passed the Commons in 1931, but the government fell later that year.

The closest was the AV-STV combo passed five times by the Commons in 1917, but blocked by the Lords. It fell by one vote (IIRC) in the end...
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Electoral systems can be cruel and paradoxical. That's why they interest me so much...

Can be ?

More like HAVE to be.

• Options
    RodCrosby said:

corporeal said:

RodCrosby said:

@kle4

AV passed the Commons in 1931, but the government fell later that year.

The closest was the AV-STV combo passed five times by the Commons in 1917, but blocked by the Lords. It fell by one vote (IIRC) in the end...
    Sounds like fodder for the most mundane alternate history novel ever - how life would have been different if the UK had switched to AV-STV in 1917.

Night all.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Being a fan of early 80s music, it's always surprising when you discover a really good track you didn't know about, such as this one — "She's A Magazine" by New Musik, from 1980:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRuGWMk1sZ4
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    AV being debated in the House of Commons on 9th July 1931:

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/lords/1931/jul/09/first-schedule-1
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AV being debated in the House of Commons on 9th July 1931:

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/lords/1931/jul/09/first-schedule-1

(Lords actually)

Not many logicians or mathematicians around on the red benches in 1931 either...
  • Options
    Trying to find the Commons debate but failing. Must be getting a bit tired.
  • Options
    Mostly in French, and always using the "vous" form
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    Ninoinoz said:

There are a whole host of local council elections on the same day as the Euros.

People won't be solely talking about the Euro results.
    Good point, especially as the council elections come first - the Euros only get announced on the Sunday (so that the whole continent declares together - some countries don't vote till later in the week).
  • Options
    "Tim Conneally via Google+
    4 months ago (edited)

Did you know the original version of A-Ha's "Take on Me" included the lyrics "Hip Hip Hooray," "Anchors Aweigh," And some kind of mutant rooster crowing noise? NOW YA DO! #80s #norway #popmusic "

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc6MumuychA

I think it's "anchors away" actually.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Being a fan of early 80s music, it's always surprising when you discover a really good track you didn't know about, such as this one — "She's A Magazine" by New Musik, from 1980:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRuGWMk1sZ4

"No Heart" by Robert Marlow - produced by Vince Clarke of Depeche Mode/Yazoo/Erasure fame.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ8Nx7u-zso
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Watching Question Time. Opener on the Roache question !
    Alison Wolf nails that one imo...
This discussion has been closed.