Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Populus change their much criticised party ID weightings wh

124»

Comments

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,028
    edited February 2014
    Crazy how the mind works! I read a few anti Cameron posts on here and find myself watching youtube clips of Martin Welbourne era Reggie Perrin
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Demonstrators in Bosnia-Hercegovina have set fire to government buildings as violent protests continue across the country for a third day.

Police have used rubber bullets and tear gas against protesters in the capital Sarajevo and the northern town of Tuzla.

Black smoke could be seen gushing from the presidency building in Sarajevo."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26086857
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    AndyJS said:

Alex Massie in Spectator:

"Alex Salmond is within striking distance of victory. Why hasn’t England noticed?
    We could be seven months away from the end of Britain. It's time to worry"

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9131482/union-in-peril/

I rather doubt that Britain will come to an end, even if the SNP do win the referendum
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    They got a Russian and a German to do the speeches. Oh dear.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Anorak said:

isam said:

MrJones said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

maaarsh said:

Thread header is rather daft. How can you say 32% is a high figure for other/DNV when that includes anyone who voted for the party last time. Deduct those voters and you're left with a similar level to the other parties.

Yes

Pointed that out at the very start of the thread... I take the stony silence from the gaggle of lefties in response as a big tick and a gold star next to my sums
    A total of 3.1% voted for UKIP at GE2010.

And your point?

My point is that those 3.1% of voters represent 60% of the "Others and Did not votes" part of the graphic in the thread header

The remaining 40% of others and did not vote = 13% of the UKIP score of 15 in the poll

So unless you are the kind of person that can pour three halves of lager into a pint glass without spilling any, you have got the maths wildly wrong

Again, the lack of contradiction from people who would normally argue with anything I said, or invent things that I didn't say, is a big tick and a gold star

If OGH were right and I were wrong here, I think we would have heard about it

The only way he could be right is if the UKIP 2010 vote is not included in the others/DNV part of the pie chart in the header

Or the newly adjusted figure is still too low?
    Well, yes if the adjusted UKIP figure is still too low, it could be that there is a lot bigger proportion of others/DNVs in the UKIP score (that isn't here), but then again if they did all decide not to vote, the "hardcore" would still be 13.5ish
    Where do you (or anyone else for that matter) feel the "tipping point" is in the polls? By that I mean the point where UKIP become, in the wider public perception (not the average Kipper's perception), a genuine alternative choice whereby a vote for them will not be "wasted". I fear I'm not phrasing this very well, but hopefully you know what I mean.
    Dunno what the tipping point would be but I think the current upper limit nationally is in the low 20s and it will take a game changer event to push it higher (except at the euros).
  • Options
    Neil said:

MrJones said:

I wonder if ethnic cleansing by flooding counts as illegal? Although technically i suppose it's more species cleansing. Humans out!

If God is not careful he may find him or herself on trial in the Hague.

Indeed. I just wonder if it's documented somewhere that encouraging flooding was a deliberate policy to drive out the wicked humans means he'd have some co-defendants?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,207
    Add in the 6.7% of voters UKIP has gained from the Tories back to the Tory column and you get Tories 39.7%, Labour 36% and LD 9%. Not enough for a Tory majority, but most likely giving another Tory-LD coalition. Forget left-wing 2010 LDs (who have returned to Labour anyway) the next election's most crucial group is Tory-UKIP defectors!
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,052
    AndyJS said:

"Alex Salmond is within striking distance of victory. Why hasn’t England noticed?

Thanks - most interesting. Massie is one of the more interesting writers on the No side.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    @AndyJS goodness knows what might kick off in June 28th.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

isam said:

MrJones said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

maaarsh said:

Thread header is rather daft. How can you say 32% is a high figure for other/DNV when that includes anyone who voted for the party last time. Deduct those voters and you're left with a similar level to the other parties.

Yes

Pointed that out at the very start of the thread... I take the stony silence from the gaggle of lefties in response as a big tick and a gold star next to my sums

And your point?

My point is that those 3.1% of voters represent 60% of the "Others and Did not votes" part of the graphic in the thread header

The remaining 40% of others and did not vote = 13% of the UKIP score of 15 in the poll

So unless you are the kind of person that can pour three halves of lager into a pint glass without spilling any, you have got the maths wildly wrong

Again, the lack of contradiction from people who would normally argue with anything I said, or invent things that I didn't say, is a big tick and a gold star

The only way he could be right is if the UKIP 2010 vote is not included in the others/DNV part of the pie chart in the header

Well, yes if the adjusted UKIP figure is still too low, it could be that there is a lot bigger proportion of others/DNVs in the UKIP score (that isn't here), but then again if they did all decide not to vote, the "hardcore" would still be 13.5ish
    Where do you (or anyone else for that matter) feel the "tipping point" is in the polls? By that I mean the point where UKIP become, in the wider public perception (not the average Kipper's perception), a genuine alternative choice whereby a vote for them will not be "wasted". I fear I'm not phrasing this very well, but hopefully you know what I mean.
    I really don't know. Would be good to drag the big two parties GE score into the 20s, then maybe theyd listen to normal people rather than their spin doctors and focus groups
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    GOP Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell in trouble in Kentucky in November's Senate election in new Survey USA poll. In a tight contest nationally, this could let the Dems hold on!

•Alison Lundergan Grimes (D) 46%
    •Mitch McConnell (R) 42%
    •Undecided 12%
  • Options
    If there was a deliberate policy to flood people out of their homes then you'd think they could sue?

http://eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=84683

Worth the people involved checking it out i'd have thought.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    UKIP polled 3.6% in seats contested at 2010 election.

And Dave says he can't win in 2015 unless he keeps them below 5%...
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    edited February 2014
    Hugh said:

Hugh said:

The most important questions with this new tranche of rainfall that needs answered is......has Dave tripped his leccy again and has he completed a course on how to change a fuse since the last time?

He convened a Cobra meeting to sort it out.
    You have to give him 10 out of 10 for this acting face:

http://www.politicshome.com/timthumb.php?h=200&src=/images//1.1.MPs/David_Cameron_Somerset_070214.png
    Majestic. Furrowed concerned brow (with a wisp of hair over it, suitably slightly windswept). Eyes focussed, empathetically. Mouth showing steely determination.

And to think only earlier today he was saving the Union! What a man *swoon*
    I hope you are not saying that the face of sympathy by our dear leader has a hint of faux about it. We were only a "We are all in it together" from a full house.
  • Options
    Good evening, everyone.

Posting a picture of Cameron looking concerned, and mocking him for looking concerned, is pure astroturf. If you want to criticise him, there are plenty of genuine grounds. Posting such fluff just makes posters look as neutral as those paid by his political opponents to rubbish him online.
  • Options

Good evening, everyone.

Posting a picture of Cameron looking concerned, and mocking him for looking concerned, is pure astroturf. If you want to criticise him, there are plenty of genuine grounds. Posting such fluff just makes posters look as neutral as those paid by his political opponents to rubbish him online.

Yes, right, because the vast majority of posters on here are entirely neutral.
  • Options
    Putin officially opened the Games, Russian flag raised and Olympic flag about to follow. Ironically doves of peace preceeded!
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530

Good evening, everyone.

Yes, right, because the vast majority of posters on here are entirely neutral.
    Quiet you!

LOL
  • Options
    Mr. Compouter, there's a difference between not being 100% neutral and being 100% 'on-message' all day, every day.
  • Options
    Neil said:

TGOHF said:

Neil said:

TGOHF said:

Neil said:

MrJones said:

I wonder if ethnic cleansing by flooding counts as illegal? Although technically i suppose it's more species cleansing. Humans out!

Only those on the losing side end up in the Hague..
    More reason for God to be concerned!
    Only if you are a Ukip supporter..
    I've been accused of supporting every other party in my time so I might as well give it a go. If only I was terrified by new things.
    You're a Green. Almost by definition they are terrified of everything in the post medieval world.
  • Options
    MrJones said:
    Happisburgh is one of those placenames that is a real trap for the outsider. It's pronounced Haze-bru.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Neil said:

TGOHF said:

Neil said:

TGOHF said:

Neil said:

MrJones said:

I've been accused of supporting every other party in my time so I might as well give it a go. If only I was terrified by new things.
    You're a Green. Almost by definition they are terrified of everything in the post medieval world.
    Quite a lot of things in the pre medieval world were scary too!
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited February 2014
  • Options

Mr. Compouter, there's a difference between not being 100% neutral and being 100% 'on-message' all day, every day.

"on message" - PB Hodge Cameroon who thinks the sun shines from the Gideon passage of Micky Gove.

Correct, for the vast majority on here....I'm off message.
  • Options
    Mr. Neil, to be fair, the medieval world did have a somewhat dubious record on health and safety.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Neil said:

TGOHF said:

Neil said:

TGOHF said:

Neil said:

MrJones said:

Wouldn't they have been afraid of the Medieval Warm Period too though?

All those petrol-guzzling 4x4 Chelsea chariots...

• Options
    If only there were a poster on here that could find a picture of someone with a badly poured Guinness
  • Options
    Mr. Compouter, I broadly approve of Gove's reforms. I disagreed with his utterances on the Great War. I've regularly criticised Cameron's greenery, the slashing of Defence, the ring-fencing of Health and the deranged approach to energy (cf Eggborough). I eagerly anticipate your effusive praise of any Conservative/Coalition policy and/or thoughtful criticism of Miliband and Balls.

Also, PB Hodge Cameroon makes you sound like an imbecile. This is especially true when talking to someone who is voting UKIP in the European elections.
  • Options

MrJones said:

If you look at the drop in turnout levels since 92/97 there's lots of ex-voters not just non-voters.

I'd be really interested in an attempt to quantify that, but it is possible that the ex-voters are late voters and the next generation that has replaced them simply does not engage with the political process, or wider civic society, as much as previous generations.

It will be 23 years since 1992 in 2015. At some point the people who cling to Major's missing voters as the answer to all their problems will have to accept that the poor dears are all dead. [With apologies to those older contributors to the thread who were eligible to vote in the 1992 general election]

It's not Major's missing voters. It's Labour's missing voters / swing voters.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Neil said:

TGOHF said:

Neil said:

TGOHF said:

Neil said:

MrJones said:

Wouldn't they have been afraid of the Medieval Warm Period too though?

All those petrol-guzzling 4x4 Chelsea chariots...

They would all have been sat around blaming that new-fangled three field system. :-)
  • Options
    Hugh said:

"on message" - PB Hodge Cameroon who thinks the sun shines from the Gideon passage of Micky Gove.

Correct, for the vast majority on here....I'm off message.
    Never see any pisstaking out of Ed Miliband on here do you? None.

Bet there was never ever ever any out of Gordon Brown either. Never.
    Err....they don't count.

Look squirrel!
  • Options

Mr. Compouter, I broadly approve of Gove's reforms. I disagreed with his utterances on the Great War. I've regularly criticised Cameron's greenery, the slashing of Defence, the ring-fencing of Health and the deranged approach to energy (cf Eggborough). I eagerly anticipate your effusive praise of any Conservative/Coalition policy and/or thoughtful criticism of Miliband and Balls.

Also, PB Hodge Cameroon makes you sound like an imbecile. This is especially true when talking to someone who is voting UKIP in the European elections.

Good for you for voting UKIP. I did praise Cameron earlier, I gave him 10 out of 10 for his acting.
  • Options
    Mr. Compouter, I said at the time that Brown never got fair treatment, and that whilst he regularly got undeserved praise he was also sometimes subjected to entirely unfair criticism (either wholly undeserved or far more than it should have been).

My problem with you and Mr. Hugh is not taking the piss out of Cameron (sometimes he deserves it. His views on global warming are bonkers). It's that you both appear to be 100% on-message all day, every day. All you post is constant, unthinking criticism.

Perhaps I'm wrong. I hope so. I'm not on all the time and probably miss half the comments. We certainly have enough astroturf as it is, and schemes like the absolutely bloody brilliant Red Rag have proven there are those who seek to manipulate online discourse to serve party political ends.
  • Options
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/b1bb3db0-8fe9-11e3-aee9-00144feab7de.html#ixzz2sfGFrV00

A currency union between an independent Scotland and the rest of the UK would be liable to break apart, particularly with the public finance challenges Edinburgh would face after independence, a landmark study says on Friday.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Mr. Compouter, I said at the time that Brown never got fair treatment, and that whilst he regularly got undeserved praise he was also sometimes subjected to entirely unfair criticism (either wholly undeserved or far more than it should have been).

My problem with you and Mr. Hugh is not taking the piss out of Cameron (sometimes he deserves it. His views on global warming are bonkers). It's that you both appear to be 100% on-message all day, every day. All you post is constant, unthinking criticism.

Perhaps I'm wrong. I hope so. I'm not on all the time and probably miss half the comments. We certainly have enough astroturf as it is, and schemes like the absolutely bloody brilliant Red Rag have proven there are those who seek to manipulate online discourse to serve party political ends.

Err.....what's wrong with Red Rag, well apart from no posts for nearly two months? I feel all offended :-)

http://redrag1.blogspot.co.uk/
  • Options
    Telegraph News ‏@TelegraphNews Jan 8

David Cameron has linked the widespread floods and bad weather affecting the UK to climate change http://fw.to/Is0OO4R by @emilygosden
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    BBC: Attempted hijacking on plane from Ukraine to Turkey. Hijacker intended to fly plane to Sochi.
  • Options

Err.....what's wrong with Red Rag

I loved Moniker's line that it was a misogynistic name.
  • Options
    Mr. Compouter, it does not refer to the poster. As you may be aware, there was a scheme cooked up to discredit some senior politicians through the most vile smears imaginable.

F1: Lotus are having a shakedown. Having missed the first test this will be their first chance to have a go with the car. It may be an opportunity for Renault to see how much progress they've made fixing their engine and ERS:
    http://www.espn.co.uk/lotusf1/motorsport/story/144689.html

I read something earlier today suggesting the Renault was two months behind schedule.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,173
    Hello PBers,

Some of you may remember me pimping my new business - Crowdscores - which is crowdsourcing sports data collection.

Right now, media organisations need to pay sizeable sums to Opta (which has the official license for UK football data) if they want to put live football scores on their websites.. Crowdscores uses a combination of people at games submitting scores on their smartphones, and Twitter mining to produce a completely legal, alternatively sourced set of score data.

Now we need a (largely paid on commission) sales person to sell our data feed to: newspapers, web sites, app developers, and bookmakers.

Love of football a benefit.

Desire to make good money in a new venture a positive.

Keen to smash a monopoly provider a bonus.

Please drop me a message if you (or anyone you know) might be interested and good at this.

Thanks, Robert
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Mr. Compouter, it does not refer to the poster. As you may be aware, there was a scheme cooked up to discredit some senior politicians through the most vile smears imaginable.

F1: Lotus are having a shakedown. Having missed the first test this will be their first chance to have a go with the car. It may be an opportunity for Renault to see how much progress they've made fixing their engine and ERS:
    http://www.espn.co.uk/lotusf1/motorsport/story/144689.html

I read something earlier today suggesting the Renault was two months behind schedule.

Vile smears and politics, who'd a thowt it?
  • Options
    Mr. Pork, Cameron's a bloody fool sometimes. Almost reminds me of Mr. India (I know I used him to have a go at SNPers, but it fits for him too).

Somerset floods? - Climate change!
    Philipinne[sp] storm? - Climate change!
    Nice weather? - Climate change!
    Nasty weather? - Climate change?

Blithering idiot. We need more coal and nuclear power stations, not to be shutting places like Eggborough. This is related to the similarity of leadership of the parties. None have a bloody clue what it's like to struggle for money, so higher costs are something they're 'willing to pay', because it's practically no sacrifice at all. At the same time, they've all bought into the so-called science, despite a decade and a half hiatus as the temperature plateaus.

Out of interest, what's the SNP's view on climate change?
  • Options
    Mr. Hugh, I'm reminded of the start of a Blackadder II episode, where Blackadder is trying to teach Baldrick the importance of thinking for himself.

I just want you to have an original thought, that's all. One waits with bated breath.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    rcs1000 said:

Hello PBers,

Some of you may remember me pimping my new business - Crowdscores - which is crowdsourcing sports data collection.

Right now, media organisations need to pay sizeable sums to Opta (which has the official license for UK football data) if they want to put live football scores on their websites.. Crowdscores uses a combination of people at games submitting scores on their smartphones, and Twitter mining to produce a completely legal, alternatively sourced set of score data.

Now we need a (largely paid on commission) sales person to sell our data feed to: newspapers, web sites, app developers, and bookmakers.

Please drop me a message if you (or anyone you know) might be interested and good at this.

Thanks, Robert

Received your e-mail today, couldn't remember why I joined. Thanks for reminding me.
  • Options

Mr. Pork, Cameron's a bloody fool sometimes. Almost reminds me of Mr. India (I know I used him to have a go at SNPers, but it fits for him too).

Blithering idiot. We need more coal and nuclear power stations, not to be shutting places like Eggborough. This is related to the similarity of leadership of the parties. None have a bloody clue what it's like to struggle for money, so higher costs are something they're 'willing to pay', because it's practically no sacrifice at all. At the same time, they've all bought into the so-called science, despite a decade and a half hiatus as the temperature plateaus.

If you want cheap electricity, nuclear is not the option. The only reasons you'd install new nuclear are (1) diversity of supply; (2) a wish to install non-intermittent "carbon neutral" power capacity.
  • Options

They accept the scientific consensus and curiously don't blame the floods on gay people.
  • Options

Mr. Hugh, I'm reminded of the start of a Blackadder II episode, where Blackadder is trying to teach Baldrick the importance of thinking for himself.

I just want you to have an original thought, that's all. One waits with bated breath.

I find my ideas fall into one of two categories:

Original

or

Correct
  • Options
    Mr. 1000, you missed off security of supply.

We have left it too late to get it for a decent (even in relative terms) cost, it would seem. But we need new power stations as a matter of urgency.
  • Options

http://www.snp.org/vision/greener-scotland/climate-change

Of course, they rely on cross subsidy from rUK to get it going.....
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    Mick_Pork said:

They accept the scientific consensus and curiously don't blame the floods on gay people.
    It's total nonsense, the more countries approve gay marriage the worse climate change gets.
  • Options

Mick_Pork said:

It's total nonsense, the more countries approve gay marriage the worse climate change gets.
    Wonder if Godfrey Bloom thinks the floods are all the fault of "sluts".
    john Jones UKIP ‏@jlj21964 3h

UKIP candidate Jane Collins aims to succeed Godfrey Bloom in a 'political earthquake' http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/UKIP-candidate-Jane-Collins-aims-succeed-Godfrey/story-20580118-detail/story.html

Or maybe it's only for EARTHQUAKES!

*chortle*

• Options

Here is something on it, if I may , not that you will like it - http://www.snp.org/vision/greener-scotland/climate-change

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Here is something on it, if I may , not that you will like it - http://www.snp.org/vision/greener-scotland/climate-change

I saw little point in posting it as one of Ed Balls inept spinners would inevitably start shrieking and whining about it.

:)

• Options
    Cheers, Mr. Pork, and Mr. Carnyx.

Mr. Hugh, I also have not 'taken to task' others on the left, or SNPers. I disagree very often with people like Mr. Observer or Mr. Carnyx, but that doesn't matter. What matters is that they are not stuck records with entirely predictable opinions and Pavlovian responses to any sign of Cameron in the media.

I do, genuinely, hope I'm wrong. But the fact that you and Mr. Compouter think that posting a picture of Cameron looking concerned about the floods and then taking the piss out of him for it does suggest you've come loaded with prejudice. It's somewhat out of character for me to post such, and perhaps I shouldn't have been so intemperate, but at the same time I feel I can predict the exact timbre of every post you've written, or will write.

I hope that isn't the case, and shall endeavour to refrain from posting on this again. I've registered my view, and the site doesn't need to be clogged with repetition.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

I thought Salmond had a dream of combusting one and a half trillion pounds' worth of North Sea hydro-carbons over the coming few years. How in God's name is that carbon neutral?

• Options
    edited February 2014

and Pavlovian responses to any sign of Cameron in the media.

The thought that the former PR man Cameron brings most of this upon himself doesn't appear to have crossed your mind. Yet infamous 'lefty' and 'labour astroturfer' Iain Martin seems none too impressed by Cammie's delayed media response.
    Telegraph Politics ‏@TelePolitics Feb 6

Blog: What is it with David Cameron and his slow response to floods? http://tgr.ph/1fyq76Y
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Err.....what's wrong with Red Rag, well apart from no posts for nearly two months? I feel all offended :-)

http://redrag1.blogspot.co.uk/
    He made such an epic and hilarious prat of himself (misreporting a yougov poll) that he had to change his name.

Site rules preclude me from telling you what to, but I think you know anyway.

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

David Cameron has linked the widespread floods and bad weather affecting the UK to climate change http://fw.to/Is0OO4R by @emilygosden

If true and the increase in global temperatures plateaued 15 years ago that means the EA has had 15 years to improve flood and sea defenses to the new level required.
  • Options

Good evening, everyone.

You keep using this word AstroTurf. What on earth are you on about?
  • Options
    Charles said:

AndyJS said:

I rather doubt that Britain will come to an end, even if the SNP do win the referendum
    Indeed. Given that Britain is an island, I should imagine so. Unless Massie thinks Salmond is going to run a supersize circular saw along the bits of the border that aren't on the Tweed?
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Anna Soubry's on AQ.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Good evening, everyone.

You keep using this word AstroTurf. What on earth are you on about?
    JFGI.

And if you don't understand that, JFGI.

• Options
    By far the most amusing thing about Cammie linking the floods to climate change wasn't the horrified silence from most PB tories. It was the fact that they had all been explicitly warned that those who were gullible enough to believe Cammie's desperate posturing on 'green crap' were going to end up looking very foolish indeed. And so it proved.
    Guardian Environment ‏@guardianeco Nov 21

David Cameron at centre of 'get rid of all the green crap' storm http://gu.com/p/3ktcg/tf

BBC Radio 4 Today ‏@BBCr4today Jan 10

Cameron 'suspects' floods linked to climate change http://bbc.in/1aH9gfn #r4today
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Anorak said:

isam said:

MrJones said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

maaarsh said:

Yes

And your point?

UKIP are already getting more votes than the LDs in local elections, and they placed second in two of the three Westminster by-elections in 2013.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

LOL. Shame for him that floods like this have been happening for millennia. Basically he will say anything to avoid accepting the fact that the lack of maintaining the drainage systems (by successive governments) are turning the Somerset levels back into what they always were.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    rcs1000 said:

Hello PBers,

Thanks, Robert

Cant seem to message you at the mo, but know a few people in betting game, couple of entrepreneur types that could be interested.. message me more details and Ill pass them on
  • Options
    I see Mitchell is in to 3/1 with Paddy Power and Paterson in to 9/2. The power of Pulpstar's 14.92 or whatever his limit on those bets was!
  • Options

Mick_Pork said:

If you were a true Pastafarian you would know there is a direct correlation between the decline in the number of pirates and Global Warming (They have graphs to prove it and everything!) If we want to stop the planet warming up we need to encourage the scourge of the High Seas once more.
  • Options
    No yellow boxes ?

I was hoping Avery was going to produce some now that we have the year end industrial production stats.

Let me provide some data on how well that economic rebalancing is going:

2010 100.0
    2011 98.8
    2012 96.3
    2013 96.0

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/datasets-and-tables/data-selector.html?cdid=K222&dataset=diop&table-id=A1

The peak output year being at 114.2 way back in 2000, meaning a fall in output of 16%.

That's a THIRTEEN year industrial depression which the collected PPEs of Westminster, Whitehall and the City have presided over.

By comparison retail sales have increased by 40% over the same period.

Ever wondered where the trillion quid of extra household debt and the trillion quid of extra government debt went ?

• Options

No yellow boxes ?

I was hoping Avery was going to produce some now that we have the year end industrial production stats.

Let me provide some data on how well that economic rebalancing is going:

2010 100.0
    2011 98.8
    2012 96.3
    2013 96.0

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/datasets-and-tables/data-selector.html?cdid=K222&dataset=diop&table-id=A1

The peak output year being at 114.2 way back in 2000, meaning a fall in output of 16%.

That's a THIRTEEN year industrial depression which the collected PPEs of Westminster, Whitehall and the City have presided over.

By comparison retail sales have increased by 40% over the same period.

Ever wondered where the trillion quid of extra household debt and the trillion quid of extra government debt went ?

The last I heard Avery had left the site.
  • Options
    @another_richard

I hate to be the one to break it to you (because I know it will hit you more than most!) but we are without Avery until at least the end of the month. He was last seen packing his yellow boxes into a removal van and heading for ConHome.
  • Options

They blame it on England hogging the Gulf Stream

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Neil said:

@another_richard

I hate to be the one to break it to you (because I know it will hit you more than most!) but we are without Avery until at least the end of the month. He was last seen packing his yellow boxes into a removal van and heading for ConHome.

The supposed fifth column kipper site ConHome? Doubtful.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,018
    edited February 2014

UKIP are already getting more votes than the LDs in local elections, and they placed second in two of the three Westminster by-elections in 2013.
    I guess they will come second at Wythenshawe as well and it probably doesn't matter much if they get 25% or 15% the headline will be "UKIP comes second". The change in Populus weighting will increase their polling - today they are 6 points ahead of the LDs, on Monday it was 2 points behind. Although as Populus doesn't have a newspaper deal it won't get widely published. "Winning" the Euros will be extra publicity.

But will all this mean that people will vote for them in a FPTP Westminster election? I suspect it might not.

• Options
    Off-shore multi-millionaire elitist enters the referendum debate;
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7261161.stm
  • Options

I guess they will come second at Wythenshawe as well and it probably doesn't matter much if they get 25% or 15% the headline will be "UKIP comes second". The change in Populus weighting will increase their polling - today they are 6 points ahead of the LDs, on Monday it was 2 points behind. Although as Populus doesn't have a newspaper deal it won't get widely published. "Winning" the Euros will be extra publicity.

But will all this mean that people will vote for them in a FPTP Westminster election? I suspect it might not.

People vote for the LDs in FPTP Westminster elections, UKIP get more votes in local elections than the LDs.

The by-elections are a FPTP choice. Eastleigh was a Conservative target seat, UKIP have made it a UKIP vs LD seat.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,736

Mick_Pork said:

If you were a true Pastafarian you would know there is a direct correlation between the decline in the number of pirates and Global Warming (They have graphs to prove it and everything!) If we want to stop the planet warming up we need to encourage the scourge of the High Seas once more.
    The obvious modern solution - Vote Pirate! :-)
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,356
    edited February 2014

2008? Golly, the trolls are desperate.
    Only in Scotland could a milkman fae Fountainbridge called Tam be described as of the elite. Marvellous stuff.
  • Options

People vote for the LDs in FPTP Westminster elections, UKIP get more votes in local elections than the LDs.

The by-elections are a FPTP choice. Eastleigh was a Conservative target seat, UKIP have made it a UKIP vs LD seat.
    But in a by-election you can stick two fingers up at the Government - it's not going to change who's in power, and if the elected MP is an idiot, you can change him in May 2015. Local council elections are maybe not seen as serious as general elections and - shock - people might actually vote on local issues. And the LDs have managed to build up local power bases where it most definitely is not a wasted vote. However well they do in council elections, by-elections and the Euros, we won't know how much of that translates into a general election vote until the date.

• Options

But in a by-election you can stick two fingers up at the Government - it's not going to change who's in power, and if the elected MP is an idiot, you can change him in May 2015. Local council elections are maybe not seen as serious as general elections and - shock - people might actually vote on local issues. And the LDs have managed to build up local power bases where it most definitely is not a wasted vote. However well they do in council elections, by-elections and the Euros, we won't know how much of that translates into a general election vote until the date.

UKIP have repeatedly said they're attempting to reproduce the LD strategy of using local government wins as a step to Westminster wins.

The 2013 local election results are encouraging.

http://survation.com/2013/05/ukip-won-in-8-westminster-constituencies-last-thursday/

http://www.eastleighnews.co.uk/2013/05/2013-county-election-results/
  • Options

They blame it on England hogging the Gulf Stream

Eh?? It's on the other side of Ireland. I've found West Indies beans on the west coast of Orkney, and driftwood with goose barnacles in the Small Isles.

• Options

Only in Scotland could a milkman fae Fountainbridge called Tam be described as of the elite. Marvellous stuff.
    Mr Divvie's point, just in case anyone misses it, is that we did not have a prospect of a referendum in 2008 - let alone a debate - as the SNP government was a minority one.

• Options
    Neil / RT

What happened (if I'm allowed to ask) ?

I know he was around a couple of days ago.
  • Options

Like the 2005 report of a 1974 paper Pork posted earlier today?

• Options

Neil / RT

He disagreed with a moderator's ruling, was asked not to post again until the end of the month and has not yet decided if he will return after that.

(Trying to keep absolutely neutral :-) )
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771

Neil / RT

He disagreed with a moderator's ruling, was asked not to post again until the end of the month and has not yet decided if he will return after that.

(Trying to keep absolutely neutral :-) )
    I can't help thinking the Sochi show may help him in exile as he is something of a russophile.
    Though I do hope he comes back soon as he's always fun.
  • Options

Ed Balls inept SCON spinners could try it. They certainly are desperate enough.
This discussion has been closed.