Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Oh, Rishi Sunak – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,047
edited June 2023 in General
Oh, Rishi Sunak – politicalbetting.com

It has been reported that Rishi Sunak is prepared to knight Boris Johnson's father StanleyWhen we asked in March, Britons opposed a knighthood for Stanley Johnson by 52% to 4%https://t.co/heVl2oTpoY pic.twitter.com/6rVuZjo21J

Read the full story here

Comments

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517
    I would have done a thread on Donald Trump's indictment, but I've broken a rib laughing.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,727

I would have done a thread on Donald Trump's indictment, but I've broken a rib laughing.

Was that broken rib done making pb a laughing stock?

Of course you should have gone with Trump. The biggest political story on the planet.

• Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,523
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Cabinet, worth noting there's still a border dispute between India and China (and perhaps more than one, now I come to think of it).
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Cabinet, worth noting there's still a border dispute between India and China (and perhaps more than one, now I come to think of it).

??
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,907
    edited June 2023
    God no surely Sunak isn’t that stupid . Knighting a wife beater ! I would be shocked if that Times story is correct . It would be insane to knight Stanley Johnson.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627
    The newspapers Will (make) Hay with this.

Prize for anyone who gets that really obscure pun...
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,084
    The Times is not sure whether to believe its own story that Nadine Dorries and Alok Sharma have had their peerages removed from Boris's resignation honours list in order to avoid by-elections. It also mentions Stanley Johnson has been removed. But you can feel the reporters (plural) handwaving around what their sources have told them.

Former ministers’ peerages ‘scrapped to avoid by-elections’
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/former-ministers-peerages-scrapped-to-avoid-by-elections-9gsh928cr (£££)

Of course you should have gone with Trump. The biggest political story on the planet.

I want to do a bit more research on it.

I'm still contemplating the betting implications.

IIRC once this indictment is out of the way the grand jury will focus on Georgia.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627
    nico679 said:

God no surely Sunak isn’t that stupid . Knighting a wife beater ! I would be shocked if that Times story is correct . It would be insane to knight Stanley Johnson.

He made Suella Braverman Home Secretary and you're suggesting he's not insane?

Good morning, everyone.

When two (nuclear-armed) tribes go to war....with bricks and scaffolding poles.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/12/14/asia/india-china-border-tensions-video-intl-hnk/index.html
    Never mind the documents, he should be indicted for crimes against good taste with that carpet:

• Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481

It will still be the biggest story this afternoon.

And a bigger one on Tuesday when we discover the actual charges and time frames.

Rishi given a wife beater a knighthood is definitely UK news and it shows a willingness to ignore fundamental flaws to solve minor issues.
    Mr. Mark, in the northern disputed border zone I believe both sides have agreed patrolling soldiers won't have 'military' weapons (guns etc).
  • prh47bridgeprh47bridge Posts: 450
    So the government of the day should interfere with an outgoing PM's resignation honours even if the House of Lords Appointments Commission and the Honours Committee is happy with them? I'm not sure that would be a good precedent to set. To be honest, I doubt this would have any real traction with voters and is easy to deal with as it would be Johnson giving his father a knighthood, not Sunak.
    nico679 said:

Per my post, the Times has also published the opposite story. You pays your money, and you takes your choice.

IIRC once this indictment is out of the way the grand jury will focus on Georgia.
    I suspect that Trump loses a tranche more of the independents. Even just being charged. It's one thing being thought a bit of a rogue, forgivable because he is going to Drain The Swamp. It's another to have an address in that swamp.
    eek said:

It will still be the biggest story this afternoon.

And a bigger one on Tuesday when we discover the actual charges and time frames.

Rishi given a wife beater a knighthood is definitely UK news and it shows a willingness to ignore fundamental flaws to solve minor issues.
    Plus I did do a thread on it on Tuesday.

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2023/06/06/trumps-legal-problems-set-to-get-much-worse/
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,849

Good morning, everyone.

??
    They actually fought a war in the 60s and I think it’s still unresolved

Essentially China wants to protect the heartland - it defines this as including all the headwaters of the Yellow and Yangtze rivers, so the Himalayas are a natural point of conflict with India
  • CorrectHorseBatCorrectHorseBat Posts: 1,761
    DougSeal said:

I demand the right to examine my GP’s genitals before an appointment

Are people going to call this out? Change trans for gay, or black
    Mr. Seal, some people feel uncomfortable having someone of a different sex examine them, especially if it's trouser-removing matter.

Likewise, women who have been sexually assaulted may well prefer to have female officers question them rather than men. That's not unreasonable.

I suspect that Trump loses a tranche more of the independents. Even just being charged. It's one thing being thought a bit of a rogue, forgivable because he is going to Drain The Swamp. It's another to have an address in that swamp.
    I'm trying to find the link which says if he's convicted in Georgia, then he cannot stand for election in Georgia.

Those are 16 electoral votes he needs to win if he wants to win back the White House.
    edited June 2023
    ydoethur said:

The newspapers Will (make) Hay with this.

Prize for anyone who gets that really obscure pun...

Speaking of prizes unlikely to be claimed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_prizes_for_evidence_of_the_paranormal

I have gazed into my crystal ball and can see that none of these are likely to be claimed anytime soon.
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,849
    DougSeal said:

I can imagine, for example, that many women would be uncomfortable with an intimate examination by a physical man who was in the process of transitioning to becoming a woman

I'm trying to find the link which says if he's convicted in Georgia, then he cannot stand for election in Georgia.

Those are 16 electoral votes he needs to win if he wants to win back the White House.
    If convicted he can stand (and take office if he wins) but cannot vote in Florida, I believe.

DougSeal said:

I can imagine, for example, that many women would be uncomfortable with an intimate examination by a physical man who was in the process of transitioning to becoming a woman
    That's fine - they can go to the very back of the queue.

Appoint today with Jenna or next month with Dr Jones - your choice...

If convicted he can stand (and take office if he wins) but cannot vote in Florida, I believe.
    But he may not be able to be on the ballot in Georgia.

But he may not be able to be on the ballot in Georgia.
    What's to stop other Democrat governed swing states changing their rules to prohibit convicts standing? It seems a reasonable measure tbh.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,196

Trump will dominate the news. This is good for his chances of securing the Republican nomination.

But it will reduce his chances of winning the Presidency.

Ergo, betting advice: lay DeSantis for nominee, lay Trump for President.

edited June 2023

Good morning, everyone.

??

Essentially China wants to protect the heartland - it defines this as including all the headwaters of the Yellow and Yangtze rivers, so the Himalayas are a natural point of conflict with India
    I was struggling with the reference to Mr. Cabinet. Previous thread, I assume.

I find Morris's refusal to quote the post he is replying to very tedious.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112

This story is going to properly mess up my google searches for Georgia (republic of) news ahead of our family holiday next month.
    Farooq said:

Penddu2 said:

I am surpised nobody has mentioned Donald's latest charges.... an American president being charged with espionage against his own country!!! Huge.

Partisan account so don’t know how accurate it is - but it would be jolly funny if that was the case….

MAJOR BREAKING: Donald Trump is facing five years in prison and a felony because of a law HE SIGNED in attempt to punish Hillary Clinton in 2018.

Oh this is GOOD!

The law HE SIGNED upgrades the crime of wrongly moving classified material from a misdemeanor to a felony.

Trump signed the bill after spending the 2016 presidential campaign accusing Hillary Clinton of improperly handling classified information.

"Trump certainly has legal exposure to Section 1924 given it was classified documents from his spaces in the White House that were removed to Mar-Lago," said attorney Bradley P. Moss.

This evening, Trump posted on Truth Social that he would be indicted.

Trump said he must report to a Miami courthouse this Tuesday.

https://twitter.com/CalltoActivism/status/1666954598119079938?s=20

"Partisan account so don’t know how accurate it is"
    95% of your contributions on here are copying and pasting tweets from partisan accounts
    Yes indeed, we've got Scott from anti-Brexit Twitter and Carlotta from Tory-faithful Twitter
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,757

As I noted on the last thread, the indictment hasn't yet bern published, so most commentary is pretty uninformed.

Still, here's a thread noting all the leading Republicans, as they declare him innocent without viewing the evidence against him.

Gonna start a thread of Republicans who love Trump more than their country who are also pretending that Trump didn't get elected by insisting that Presidential candidates could be investigated and arrested.
    https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1667048712386801664
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,503

DougSeal said:

Ah, the great Daily Mail modus operandi in its pure state.

If you read beyond the pitchforks & burning torches headline, the piece itself says patients can request a same sex member of staff in the cases of intimate examinations or if they have been a victim of sexual violence.

DougSeal said:

Not just trans women. Cis male obstetricians and gynaecologists are disappearing, especially in America, where that branch of medicine has become increasingly feminised in recent years. Midwives are almost all women.
    Note the indictment was issued by a grand jury of 20 of his fellow Floridians.

Constituents whom DeSantis has already publicly condemned without viewing the evidence.
  • MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    I am not seeing any evidence here beyond It must be true, his ex wife said so in a book. Which got published and everything. The appointment is a disgrace, but the rules of justice are what they are.
    Farooq said:

Penddu2 said:

I am surpised nobody has mentioned Donald's latest charges.... an American president being charged with espionage against his own country!!! Huge.

Partisan account so don’t know how accurate it is - but it would be jolly funny if that was the case….

MAJOR BREAKING: Donald Trump is facing five years in prison and a felony because of a law HE SIGNED in attempt to punish Hillary Clinton in 2018.

Oh this is GOOD!

The law HE SIGNED upgrades the crime of wrongly moving classified material from a misdemeanor to a felony.

Trump signed the bill after spending the 2016 presidential campaign accusing Hillary Clinton of improperly handling classified information.

"Trump certainly has legal exposure to Section 1924 given it was classified documents from his spaces in the White House that were removed to Mar-Lago," said attorney Bradley P. Moss.

95% of your contributions on here are copying and pasting tweets from partisan accounts
    True, but there is a choice between being posting a story and spending 30 minutes sanity checking it's actually true.

This sounds true because it follows the all important Wile E Coyote rule of being the one caught out by your ill-conceived plan...
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527

Mr. Seal, some people feel uncomfortable having someone of a different sex examine them, especially if it's trouser-removing matter.

Likewise, women who have been sexually assaulted may well prefer to have female officers question them rather than men. That's not unreasonable.

In which case they can ask for the same. It's in the article. This headline is hate mongering pure and simple.
    Labour is changing its green energy plan, shadow chancellor Rachel Reeves exclusively tells @JustinOnWeb.

Instead of spending £28bn a year from the start of a Labour government, 'we will ramp up to the £28bn' in the second half of a first term in office.

https://twitter.com/BBCr4today/status/1667070767828291584
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,544
    TimS said:

In Tories not knowing how to behave news, I was at an event at Australia House last night celebrating the UK-Aus free trade agreement.

Very nice event, lots of decent Aussie wine and Scotch whisky, pleasant diplomatic speeches by various officials. Then Kemi Badenoch took to the stage, and in the course of a very short speech managed to have a dig at French railway workers (she was fresh back from Paris) as proof we were right to Brexit, throw in a jibe at the Guardian, and rushed through her words in such a cursory way it was borderline Boris-like. Not sure if it was deliberate or she was just tired after a day of meetings, but it left one with the impression of someone who might not be so good at the core prime ministerial skill of holding a sword still at a coronation.

She does seem like a rather tedious ideologue. Very much a core vote leader for the Tories, I don't really get why some people on here rate her so much.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369
    TimS said:

In Tories not knowing how to behave news, I was at an event at Australia House last night celebrating the UK-Aus free trade agreement.

Very nice event, lots of decent Aussie wine and Scotch whisky, pleasant diplomatic speeches by various officials. Then Kemi Badenoch took to the stage, and in the course of a very short speech managed to have a dig at French railway workers (she was fresh back from Paris) as proof we were right to Brexit, throw in a jibe at the Guardian, and rushed through her words in such a cursory way it was borderline Boris-like. Not sure if it was deliberate or she was just tired after a day of meetings, but it left one with the impression of someone who might not be so good at the core prime ministerial skill of holding a sword still at a coronation.

That’s quite tragic and symptomatic of “politicians being too political” which I find is a horrid side effect of too many career politicians with no hinterland in real life. No concept that this should purely be a happy occasion celebrating mutual links between the two countries.

I don’t care which party a politician is from I just wish they could drop the whole bullshit of turning every conversation, interview or speech into a partisan soundbite opportunity.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,539
    Can he actually prevent a former PM's resignation honours list?
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,196
    Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

I can imagine, for example, that many women would be uncomfortable with an intimate examination by a gay woman. That doesn't mean they have a right to know the doctor's private life.
    The Breast Screening Programme has an exemption from sex discrimination law allowing it to only employ women. My late mother, a doctor herself, always complained about this. She said she’d rather have a man handling her breasts during a mammogram on the grounds that men appreciate breasts more.
    DougSeal said:

The transphobes are an odd lot.

They want trans people to be invisible to society, while simultaneously demanding they be informed about anyone who is trans.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677
    TimS said:

Not sure if it was deliberate or she was just tired after a day of meetings, but it left one with the impression of someone who might not be so good at the core prime ministerial skill of holding a sword still at a coronation.

Don't get them started. We'll have ancient tories getting a semi at the thought of it.

• IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,572

In theory, surely yes? In practice, it's a precedent most PMs won't want to establish, obvs.

I think the King acts on the recommendation of the present PM. So he can presumably just not put it forward.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731

DougSeal said:

Which is why chaperones are used when doing intimate examinations.

It is as much or more for protection of staff as patients.

• FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,539
    Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

I can imagine, for example, that many women would be uncomfortable with an intimate examination by a gay woman. That doesn't mean they have a right to know the doctor's private life.
    So should people be able to request a private exam from a same sex doctor?
    Nigelb said:

DougSeal said:

They want trans people to be invisible to society, while simultaneously demanding they be informed about anyone who is trans.
    As I keep saying, there are people with legitimate concerns and who I am sure are arguing in good faith. But they ally themselves with these people, who hate anyone that doesn't look exactly like them. Can't blame me for being suspicious

We can already see that Rishi can delay Boris's resignation honours list, because he has. They are not a fixed part of the constitution. Neither Tony Blair nor Gordon Brown had resignation honours lists.
    Foxy said:

DougSeal said:

but not under anaesthesia (I assume that the average theatre procedure has professionals of both sexes there). Do people object to this? Are you allowed to?
    BREAKING:

Rachel Reeves has scrapped Labour’s pledge to spend £28bn a year on green prosperity plan after weeks of fierce internal criticism

She says Labour will now ‘ramp up’ spending on green prosperity over course of Parliament - the £28bn figure appears to have been ditched
    Reeves clarifies - says she’s committed to ‘getting to’ £28bn over course of Parliament

But pledge still significantly watered down - it was £28bn a year
    Nigelb said:

DougSeal said:

And it does lead to odd outcomes like this:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

DougSeal said:

So a question for the single-sex space advocates, what do you do in a situation like this?
    edited June 2023
    Miklosvar said:

Foxy said:

DougSeal said:

but not under anaesthesia (I assume that the average theatre procedure has professionals of both sexes there). Do people object to this? Are you allowed to?
    Not necessarily, but theatres always have multiple staff so are effectively always chaperoned several times over.
    Windfall tax to be scrapped if prices drop

Tax has raised £2.8bn to date to fund energy support schemes, government says but will end if oil and gas prices return to normal by 2028.

https://news.sky.com/story/government-softens-windfall-taxes-on-profits-of-energy-producers-12899227
    eek said:

Farooq said:

Penddu2 said:

Oh this is GOOD!

True, but there is a choice between being posting a story and spending 30 minutes sanity checking it's actually true.

This sounds true because it follows the all important Wile E Coyote rule of being the one caught out by your ill-conceived plan...
    If you have the patience, it's in this bill signed into law in 2018
    https://www.congress.gov/115/plaws/publ118/PLAW-115publ118.pdf

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

DougSeal said:

So a question for the single-sex space advocates, what do you do in a situation like this?
    Ignore. The photo is not the actual person, it's for illustrative purposes only. I am guessing the actual "beard" was 3 stray hairs.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

Good morning, everyone.

??

It is very frustrating. I can't see the logic in not taking the nano second required to press the quote button in order to resume clarity of conversation. Very confusing!
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,380
    Foxy said:

DougSeal said:

Indeed.

Anecdote - a male doctor acquaintance was called upon to do an intimate examination of a woman. The chaperone called in was his wife (also a doctor). A strange situation for both of them - they did not disclose their relationship to the patient, as it would have made the whole experience odder for her, too.

Good morning, everyone.

??

It is very frustrating. I can't see the logic in not taking the nano second required to press the quote button in order to resume clarity of conversation. Very confusing!
    I've mentioned this so many times and get shouted down every time.

I do not understand why they can't just do the polite thing and quote the post they are responding to.
    Nigelb said:

DougSeal said:

Also worth noting that if a trans doctor is in possession of a gender recognition certificate then it would be illegal for the NHS to disclose their previous gender to a patient.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,040

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

The practice where my wife and I are registered….. a very efficient practice I should note …..is all female. However if a male patient ‘has problems’ apparently they have arranged for male cover.
    As far as I know, the only male regularly on the premises is a physiotherapist who rents a room for a half day a week.

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

A female fifty-something GP friend who works in student health always uses a chaperone for intimate examinations, which are a fair bit of her practice.
  • Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 680
    Whatever you think of Rishi, you can never accuse him of being too big for his boots....
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    nico679 said:

Even if he weren't one (and it is an allegation as he has never been convicted), what on earth is the reason for knighting him?
    Tony Blair won three elections in a row.

It is interesting your long to go back to another era when Labour also liked losing.
    Farooq said:

TimS said:

She does seem like a rather tedious ideologue. Very much a core vote leader for the Tories, I don't really get why some people on here rate her so much.
    The ones who rate her are also tedious ideologues
    I knew there must be an explanation!

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

DougSeal said:

Politely ask the person if they'd mind putting a shirt on and then get on with my life

It is interesting your long to go back to another era when Labour also liked losing.
    Labour in 1975 held a Referendum because Wilson knew the party was split on the issue. When we’d joined, to the enthusiastic support of, among others the Daily Mail, the principal opposition had come from the Bennite, or Left, wing of the Labour Party.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    edited June 2023

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

DougSeal said:

Yes, this is very silly. Anyone should be able to use the gents. I was at the boat race one year and was queuing to get into the gents at a pub when a lady came out being very apologetic (long queue for the ladies etc.), but really, us men don't care. And, actually, in situations like that, when it's very busy, it doesn't really matter because there's loads of people around.

We have different toilets for the protection of women. Personally, I'm of the view that until a person has had the surgery to remove their male anatomy, they should be considered a man. However, if they are presenting as a woman and wouldn't alarm anyone, then I don't see too much of an issue with toilets.

The doctor situation is tricky. I can fully understand why a woman would want to see a female doctor, so I don't think it's unreasonable that a female patient should be able to demand that. I think patients should be prioritised over the feelings of some doctors.
    Miklosvar said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

DougSeal said:

Ignore. The photo is not the actual person, it's for illustrative purposes only. I am guessing the actual "beard" was 3 stray hairs.
    Nonetheless, the issue is there. There are an increasing number of Trans-men who often pass quite well. Should they use the female toilets and changing rooms according to their chromosomes?

It seems that "butch" Cis-women are also being increasingly challenged.

• DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527
    You love it when Labour lose. Which is why you back the side of the party known to be serial losers.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,503
    Miklosvar said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

DougSeal said:

It actually looks like Andrew Tate, which is quite funny.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677
    Penddu2 said:

Whatever you think of Rishi, you can never accuse him of being too big for his boots....

If it weren't indicative of levels of competence and cunning that are utterly beyond the tories I'd swear he wore the comedy shitkickers to provoke a memestorm to distract from the fact he hasn't, can't and won't STOP THE BOATS.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,586

I liked Toy Blair I canvassed and worked for 2 of those victories and 1997 was a fantastic night after 18 years of Tory Government.

Tony Blair maintained a broad church invested heavily in Public Services and had the full range of the left in his Cabinets

SKS is no Tony Blair
    edited June 2023
    tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

DougSeal said:

Yes, this is very silly. Anyone should be able to use the gents. I was at the boat race one year and was queuing to get into the gents at a pub when a lady came out being very apologetic (long queue for the ladies etc.), but really, us men don't care. And, actually, in situations like that, when it's very busy, it doesn't really matter because there's loads of people around.

We have different toilets for the protection of women. Personally, I'm of the view that until a person has had the surgery to remove their male anatomy, they should be considered a man. However, if they are presenting as a woman and wouldn't alarm anyone, then I don't see too much of an issue with toilets.

The doctor situation is tricky. I can fully understand why a woman would want to see a female doctor, so I don't think it's unreasonable that a female patient should be able to demand that. I think patients should be prioritised over the feelings of some doctors.
    What happens when the only gynaecologist on duty is male, or andrologist is female? And there is something like a suspected ectopic pregnancy, or torsion of testes that cannot wait?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,003
    Currently Prince Andrew has a 7% positive rating, so knighting Stanley is less popular than Prince Andrew. I have met Stanley once, he is perfectly charming and a former MEP and has done a lot for the Environment but sticking to MBEs or OBEs would probably be better

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2023/01/12/prince-harrys-popularity-falls-further-spare-hits-

Labour in 1975 held a Referendum because Wilson knew the party was split on the issue. When we’d joined, to the enthusiastic support of, among others the Daily Mail, the principal opposition had come from the Bennite, or Left, wing of the Labour Party.
    And Enoch Powell who was by then an Ulster Unionist
    Dura_Ace said:

Penddu2 said:

If it weren't indicative of levels of competence and cunning that are utterly beyond the tories I'd swear he wore the comedy shitkickers to provoke a memestorm to distract from the fact he hasn't, can't and won't STOP THE BOATS.
    The government has now abandoned the policy of treating "illegal arrivals" differently to other asylum seekers.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jun/08/key-plank-of-new-uk-asylum-law-dropped-to-cut-backlog?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other
    Miklosvar said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

DougSeal said:

Isn't the post satirical? The person in the picture is Andrew Tate, isn't it?
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,586
    DougSeal said:

You love it when Labour lose. Which is why you back the side of the party known to be serial losers.
    Look in the mirror

Centrists wanted Labour to lose in 2017 and 2019

Worked to divert monies away from winnable marginals because getting rid of a Socialist leader was more important than winning a GE

Them not me are responsible for the Tory excesses.

SKS is continuation Tory continuation austerity continuation privatiser of the NHS continuation lying politician

He offers nothing to the poorest in Society

He is no Tony Blair
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

DougSeal said:

What happens when the only gynaecologist on duty is male, or andrologist is female? And there is something like a suspected ectopic pregnancy, or torsion of testes that cannot wait?
    Okay, how about we limit this to GPs? I was thinking less emergency scenarios, when I'd imagine the sex of doctor isn't high on the list of priorities.
    Cannot believe I missed a visit from our Russian friend!
    edited June 2023
    Well nobody can say Blair was a glory hunter, he was a Labour candidate in 1983 when Labour got its lowest ever voteshare since WW2.

Though he did win his seat of Sedgefield unlike Labour under Corbyn in 2019, after having lost in the Beaconsfield by election to the Tories the previous year. One thing Sunak and Starmer have not had unlike Blair in Beaconsfield (and indeed Cameron and Boris who both lost seats to Labour before getting Witney and Henley) is experience of personal defeat in an election campaign which would toughen them up.

While both competent they both got shoehorned into safe seats straight away in 2015, Starmer in Holborn and St Pancras and Sunak in Richmond and I think that may show for both of them in the general election next year.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,042
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

DougSeal said:

You must already know the answer to this.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,676
    eek said:

DougSeal said:

That's fine - they can go to the very back of the queue.

Appoint today with Jenna or next month with Dr Jones - your choice...
    Icky post.

If the Democrats replaced Biden with Harris though Trump might still even win independents and the presidency from prison

• Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,676
    Foxy said:

Miklosvar said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

DougSeal said:

Nonetheless, the issue is there. There are an increasing number of Trans-men who often pass quite well. Should they use the female toilets and changing rooms according to their chromosomes?

It seems that "butch" Cis-women are also being increasingly challenged.

No, they should use a facility appropriate to their genitals. If someone is dressed as a woman and they're officially transitioning they should be allowed to use the disabled wc.
  • 148grss148grss Posts: 4,155
    Re Trump Indictment - I do not see this hurting him in the primary. Already we see most GOP contenders defending him; for this to hurt him someone has to decide to try and weaponise this against him. By defending him, the other candidates are messaging two things: Trumps popularity within the GOP, and that he is being victimised by the Biden admin. Faux victimisation is something the GOP base love, and so (if anything) I would consider this indictment would make him more likely to win the primary rather than lose it. I don't even see the Georgia case changing this; again people overestimate the seriousness of the GOP primary electorate. Unless a court rules him guilty and part of the verdict is a bad on federal office, he will be the nominee. Hell, even with a ban on running for federal office I can see him winning the primary - the GOP base would love the opportunity to tell "liberal judges" to go to hell and argue their democratic right to pick who they want is more important.

I do think this makes the general election harder for Trump but, again, not by much. Maybe a few swing states move lean Democratic.

Good morning, everyone.

??

I've mentioned this so many times and get shouted down every time.

I do not understand why they can't just do the polite thing and quote the post they are responding to.
    From memory he doesn't quote because when it gets too long and you need to edit the message he always messed it up so he finds it easier not to.

Being honest I can see his viewpoint - I really can't see why Vanilla doesn't just allow you to reference a message id giving it built in threading.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

I've been to Portland, Maine. Somewhere Leon hasn't been so far according to previous posts. Got there by train from Boston.

I'm going to Portland next week.

Any tips?
    Swanage Railway
    Monkey World
    Durdle Door
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465

I liked Toy Blair I canvassed and worked for 2 of those victories and 1997 was a fantastic night after 18 years of Tory Government.

Tony Blair maintained a broad church invested heavily in Public Services and had the full range of the left in his Cabinets

SKS is no Tony Blair
    Well, I was there, and the left-wing view was that Tony Blair was a centrist who was giving up the Labour tradition of public provision for public services. I agree he repaired the dreadful inheritance of NHS and schools funding and that's the main reason I stayed largely loyal. I think you should give Starmer a chance to do the same.
    HYUFD said:

Well nobody can say Blair was a glory hunter, he was a Labour candidate in 1983 when Labour got its lowest ever voteshare since WW2.

Though he did win his seat of Sedgefield unlike Labour under Corbyn in 2019, after having lost in the Beaconsfield by election to the Tories the previous year. One thing Sunak and Starmer have not had unlike Blair in Beaconsfield (and indeed Cameron and Boris who both lost seats to Labour before getting Witney and Henley) is experience of personal defeat in an election campaign which would toughen them up.

While both competent they both got shoehorned into safe seats straight away in 2015, Starmer in Holborn and St Pancras and Sunak in Richmond and I think that may show for both of them in the general election next year.
    Fair point, and one about which I’ve wondered. Starmer did of course have a substantial career ‘before politics’. Which is more than Fishy Rishi had.
This discussion has been closed.