Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Time for Starmer to be less timid about the Brexit? – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,365

I have just completed power of attorney for my wife and I on line which was quite straightforward and the help line was excellent

Lawyers fees were over £600 for the four documents which effectively was just filling in the online questionnaire on behalf of their client

My son in law is about to submit probate for his late father himself again avoiding legal fees

It does make you wonder just how many others have done the same

For clarification at our ages we have discussed these poa's with out family and agreed it is a sensible step while we are both reasonably healthy, subject to our daily pills

Make sure you do financial and health power of attorney forms
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,520
    Leon said:

A

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Dig a little deeper into these Polish stats, let’s look at Polish demographics

Poland’s population in 1989 - over thirty years ago, at the fall of communism - was 37.96m. Today it is 37.94m. It has actually DECLINED in the last 35 years, and is falling faster now

It is little wonder that EU membership/investment allied with a stagnant/falling population is leading to an increase in GDP per capita. A nicer pie is being shared by fewer people

In the same period the UK’s population has gone from 57m to 67m, and it is still growing fast

Poland is also aging faster than the UK, and attracts virtually zero immigrants

So, really, these “predictions” are simply cherry-picked nonsense flourished by ageing, middlebrow Remoaners still unable to accept defeat

We've read your published scribblings, @Leon: you are not perhaps in the best position to be throwing "middlebrow" around as an insult. :)

Anyhoo, having cued me up quite nicely, this is a link to an article written earlier this year about the importance and growth of Polish military power in the 21st century and the historical impetus behind it.

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2023/01/29/the-intermarium/

Yes, it fascinating that Poland, across the entire political spectrum, has taken the following idea from its history - that it needs allies to survive, and that such allies are gained by rejecting any irredentism.

Which instantly makes friends with all the bordering countries on the basis of guaranteeing each others borders against all… amendment.

Further, that such a block of allies will be powerful enough to prevent themselves being the price paid in someone else’s Realpolitik deal.
    Poland has comported itself admirably during the Ukrainian war. Taking in all those refugees, standing so firmly with Kyiv

Long term I am less optimistic about their fate. Being on the new Cold War border with an angry (and humiliated?) Russia and Belarus might be an uncomfortable place. I can see it destabilizing their economy. Ditto the Baltics
    A big reason for backing Ukraine is that while Ukraine exists, the risk to Poland from Russia is minimal.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,347

I have just completed power of attorney for my wife and I on line which was quite straightforward and the help line was excellent

Lawyers fees were over £600 for the four documents which effectively was just filling in the online questionnaire on behalf of their client

My son in law is about to submit probate for his late father himself again avoiding legal fees

It does make you wonder just how many others have done the same

For clarification at our ages we have discussed these poa's with out family and agreed it is a sensible step while we are both reasonably healthy, subject to our daily pills

Make sure you do financial and health power of attorney forms
    Have done both for both of us
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    edited May 2023
    Leon said:

If someone had sat a ten year old Leon in a chair, and said: in the future you will have to go to exotic faraway places all over the world and stay in amazing hotels, lodges, cruise ships for free, and have remarkable experiences, I’d have replied ‘yeah, ok, what’s the catch??’

And the answer would have been: ‘you get paid to do it’

Not sure I’d have believed them, tbh

However the Gods have punished you by requiring you to indulge in sad old bloke boasting on an obscure forum full of sad old blokes.

There’s always a catch.
This discussion has been closed.