Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Sunak needs to sack Braverman – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    FF43 said:

TimS said:

Looks like she toast - it's obviously coordinated from No 10:

Someone in central office has decided to press the button this evening. They had the speeding story for weeks I reckon. Suella was getting too big for her boots.
    It was probably that Nazi conference she spoke at in that case. OK for fringe Tories, not for cabinet members supposedly following a party line.

. .
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited May 2023

Belfast - Collin

PBP 1581,67
    SDLP 1181,96
    Alliance 647,41

Now redistributing Alliance's transfers...and then it is finished....for everyone

Finished.

Michael Collins fills the last seat. People Before Profit hold

https://twitter.com/brendanhughes64/status/1660060892740943875?s=20

The winner coming out of the door to be met by cheering supporters looks a bit too much like some music talent contest setup
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,445
    Entirely off thread, but I have had a splendid day walking in Derbyshire. Not the Peak District bit; basically the Green Belt of Derby. On the less fashionable side. An ice cream farm, two stately homes, three ancient woodlands, a hermitage, a ruined abbey and a pub doing tapas. 11 miles of Middle England in all its glory. Not showy, but lovely nonetheless.

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,608
    Cookie said:

Entirely off thread, but I have had a splendid day walking in Derbyshire. Not the Peak District bit; basically the Green Belt of Derby. On the less fashionable side. An ice cream farm, two stately homes, three ancient woodlands, a hermitage, a ruined abbey and a pub doing tapas. 11 miles of Middle England in all its glory. Not showy, but lovely nonetheless.

What was the ruined abbey?
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,503
    Has anyone raised the "Buddhistphobia" defense of Braverman yet?

(To be honest, I found her personal background more interesting than this scandal, after I looked her up on Wikipedia.

Full disclosure: I didn't know about the "Dallas" connection. The only time I watched that program was when I learned that folks in the UK were betting large sums of money on who shot J. R.)
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288
    edited May 2023

So final tally in Northern Ireland is

Sinn Fein 144 Cllrs (+38)
    DUP 122 (=)
    Alliance 64 (+14)
    UUP 54 (-21)
    SDLP 39 (-20)
    Independents 19 (-5)
    TUV 9 (+3)
    Greens 5 (-3)
    People Before Profit 2(-3)
    PUP 1 (-3)
    Aontú 0 (-1)

Clearly, SF and APNI the big gainers, with TUV also gaining. UUP and SDLP the big losers. Greens, PBP and PUP disappointed too. DUP staying exactly where they are.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,757
    Cookie said:

...An ice cream farm...

What???

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288
    Only 17 Unionist (14 DUP/2 UUP/1 TUV) councillors out of 60 in NI's capital Belfast.

Nationalists on 27 (22 SF, 5 SDLP), with 16 "others" (11 AP, Grn 3, PBP 1, Ind 1).
  • Options

viewcode said:

Cookie said:

...An ice cream farm...

What???

It's where they grow Cornettos-on-the-cob.
    LOL...ly :smiley:
  • Options
    edited May 2023

viewcode said:

Cookie said:

...An ice cream farm...

What???

We tried it. But planted the cones too close together, so they didn’t fill.

Another disappointing crop were the dolphins. We later learned we should have used a multi-porpoise compost.

My father is a farmer who’s out standing in his field, most mornings. as a life he says you can’t beet it.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714

Has anyone raised the "Buddhistphobia" defense of Braverman yet?

(To be honest, I found her personal background more interesting than this scandal, after I looked her up on Wikipedia.

Full disclosure: I didn't know about the "Dallas" connection. The only time I watched that program was when I learned that folks in the UK were betting large sums of money on who shot J. R.)

It was Sue Ellen's sister, wasn't it?
  • Options
    Wildly off-topic segue

On an either depressing or hopeful note, depending on your POV, a temporary statue was erected on World Suicide Prevention day in 2020. Whilst most modern public statuary is [checks notes] rubbish, I thought this statue, although twee, was oddly touching. Have a look, see whatcha think:

https://twitter.com/BristolMosaic/status/1634491599076900864
    https://goo.gl/maps/46cSvpssW54J84bP7
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,503
    AndreaParma_82 -

You're right:
    "Ultimately, in the "Who Done It?" episode which aired on November 21, 1980, the person who pulled the trigger was revealed to be Kristin Shepard (Mary Crosby). Kristin was J.R.'s scheming sister-in-law and mistress who shot him in a fit of anger. J.R. did not press charges, as Kristin claimed she was pregnant with his child as a result of their affair.[2]"
    source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_shot_J.R.?

(I had to look it up.)
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,608
    edited May 2023
    O/T

It's a slightly strange experience when you hear a song you used to hear all the time but haven't done for a long time. Just happened to me with More Than Words by Extreme (from 1991).
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,574
    Humble question re: Northern Ireland 2023 local election results -

Is there somewhere on the web, that gives details of the local election counts, including quotas and numbers of votes transferred - and not - during each stage?
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,574

viewcode said:

Cookie said:

...An ice cream farm...

What???

We tried it. But planted the cones too close together, so they didn’t fill.

Another disappointing crop were the dolphins. We later learned we should have used a multi-porpoise compost.

My father is a farmer who’s out standing in his field, most mornings. as a life he says you can’t beet it.
    Spaghetti Harvest
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVo_wkxH9dU

(IF you haven't heard of this before, high time you do, seeing as you're a country bunny.)
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,445
    Andy_JS said:

Cookie said:

Dale Abbey, I think.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    I'm watching an LAFC match, and I think there's going to be at least five minutes of injury time.

Which is not unusual.

Except it is the referee who keeps needing to treated for injury. At what point do they need to sub the ref off?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,994
    Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

Cookie said:

Dale Abbey, I think.
    A guess: Darley Abbey, rather than Dale Abbey?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darley_Abbey

There's plenty of nice Derbyshire outside the Peaks. I'd particularly recommend a walk from Derby to Matlock, up the Derwent (there is a trail, but plenty of other paths as well). You can also split it up into multiple days, using the rail service.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,942
    kinabalu said:

Makes no sense to me at all. Getting a speeding ticket is no big scandal. Why on earth try and cover it up?

Farooq said:

Because Suella is, and let's be kind here, a moron.

QED
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231

Were I to be appointed Attorney-General, or Home Secretary for that matter, I think I'd have a word with myself and say "oh bugger, I'd better pack in law-breaking - including keeping to the speed limit. It would be a bit embarrassing to be a law breaker - I need to set a good example".

But maybe I'm wrong, as nobody else seems to be bothered about Suella actually speeding.

I’m not disagreeing with your point, but it’s worth remembering that Harriet Harman did get away with multiple driving offences while solicitor general, including if memory serves driving at 140mph on the motorway, twice, driving while using a hand held mobile phone causing an accident, failing to stop after an accident.

Any of which should have seen a ‘normal’ person banned from driving.

This isn’t just a party political issue. Too many politicians seem to have a great sense of entitlement and think they are above petty restrictions.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good morning, everyone.

Last football bet failed due to a 9th minute injury time goal. Feel mildly aggrieved.

The sooner Braverman is consigned to the dustbin of political history the better.
  • Options
    If Russia have finally captured Bakhmut - and it seems possible - I wonder how long they will actually hold it for?

Or having declared victory to avoid loss of face, will other units suddenly find it expedient to stage a strategic withdrawal?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995
    ydoethur said:

Were I to be appointed Attorney-General, or Home Secretary for that matter, I think I'd have a word with myself and say "oh bugger, I'd better pack in law-breaking - including keeping to the speed limit. It would be a bit embarrassing to be a law breaker - I need to set a good example".

But maybe I'm wrong, as nobody else seems to be bothered about Suella actually speeding.

I’m not disagreeing with your point, but it’s worth remembering that Harriet Harman did get away with multiple driving offences while solicitor general, including if memory serves driving at 140mph on the motorway, twice, driving while using a hand held mobile phone causing an accident, failing to stop after an accident.

This isn’t just a party political issue. Too many politicians seem to have a great sense of entitlement and think they are above petty restrictions.
    No way she did get nicked for the "Double Castle". That's porridge.

I drove from Riyadh to Doha in 5h 31m last night. We topped out a GMC Sierra towing an F80 M3 on a trailer at 209km/h. I deserve a medal or perhaps a personalised one-on-one speed awareness course.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,349
    kle4 said:

I'm not one for breakfast tv programming, is there anything especially interesting in the This Morning business worth diving into?

There is nothing interesting about breakfast tv. ....ever....
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

I drove from Riyadh to Doha in 5h 31m last night. We topped out a GMC Sierra towing an F80 M3 on a trailer at 209km/h. I deserve a medal or perhaps a personalised one-on-one speed awareness course.
    In fact my memory played me false on two counts:

1) it was 99mph not 140

2) She was fined £400 and banned from driving for a year as a result.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,032
    ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

1) it was 99mph not 140

How very convenient it was just below the 100 level where the penalties become much more severe
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,173
    edited May 2023

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

1) it was 99mph not 140

How very convenient it was just below the 100 level where the penalties become much more severe
    Have you never heard of "cruise control"? Professional drivers of my acquaintance ALWAYS set the cruise control at 99 to avoid the diversion from Magistrates to Crown Court.

She got the same penalty you or I would be sentenced for the same offence.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

Applauded out of the speed awareness course in guard of honour, straight into the waiting Black Maria.
This discussion has been closed.