Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

And the walls came tumbling down – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited May 2023 in General
And the walls came tumbling down – politicalbetting.com

Revealed: Labour won back swathes of Brexit voters in the local elections https://t.co/ZDJu0PtyS7

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,173
    edited May 2023
    I understood that after Penny Mordaunt's performance yesterday Conservatives are back in the game.

Or do they instead replace Sunak with a Johnson/Truss/ Braverman/Badenoch style headbanger?

I am still not comfortable that Labour are trusted enough yet for the Conservatives not to magic up another victory from thin air.

And that looks like an early first.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    FPT:

Good morning, everyone.

F1: splendid slice of fortune turned my Perez 9.5 bet green as could be. Will start writing the pre-race tosh shortly.

FPT 2:
    Well, this is annoying. Despite qualifying finishing eight and a half hours ago the markets aren't fully up. I tend to quite like checking the group markets but they're nowhere to be seen...
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,291
    Good morning

I have no doubt change is coming but not sure just how it will pan out

I very much doubt the conservatives will move against Sunak and, apart from the siren voices of the Nadine Dorries Johnson obsessives, Sunak will lead into GE 24

Johnson's attire yesterday was a disgrace as he showed no respect to anyone attending the event

Compare and contrast Johnson to the unexpected star of the coronation, Penny Mordaunt who has received congratulations and admiration for her 'sword bearing' from across the political divide including Emily Thornberry and most surprisingly Alistair Campbell

Well done Penny and one to watch

I would just add as an ambivalent monarchist, I do believe yesterday mattered to millions and even the Church of England tradition, while archaic, is important to many so why just not be pleased for everyone enjoying themselves rather than carping on the side

The 1953 coronation I witnessed was in a very different time with Churchill as PM and of course Britain was very much a colonial power and when I contrast it to yesterday, there has been a very welcome change to more inclusion and diversity.

I expect Charles will continue to adapt the monarchy to today's world and I wish him well and much prefer a monarchy to a republic but also fully understand why so many Commonwealth countries will become republics in time
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    I'm happy to offer 11-1 for any PBer that wants to bet on Starmer being ousted this year.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,931
    If the Tories replace Sunak, they would be declaring themselves a fundamentally unserious party and would suffer the consequences at the subsequent election. They would be destroyed. He’s the best hope they have - by a long distance.

The Mordaunt love really perplexes me. I thought she looked really peculiar. Her outfit was utterly bizarre. Her whole set-up and demeanour screamed high camp, nothing more. But I am clearly in the minority - at least on here!
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138

I understood that after Penny Mordaunt's performance yesterday Conservatives are back in the game.

Or do they instead replace Sunak with a Johnson/Truss/ Braverman/Badenoch style headbanger?

I am still not comfortable that Labour are trusted enough yet for the Conservatives not to magic up another victory from thin air.

And that looks like an early first.

They’re not going to replace Sunak with anyone.

What do you base your pessimism/optimism about lack of trust Labour and a Tory victory on? You go on a lot about this but where’s the evidence to back up your assertion?
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,349
    rcs1000 said:

I'm happy to offer 11-1 for any PBer that wants to bet on Starmer being ousted this year.

Why 11 to 1...
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

If the Tories replace Sunak, they would be declaring themselves a fundamentally unserious party and would suffer the consequences at the subsequent election. They would be destroyed. He’s the best hope they have - by a long distance.

The Mordaunt love really perplexes me. I thought she looked really peculiar. Her outfit was utterly bizarre. Her whole set-up and demeanour screamed high camp, nothing more. But I am clearly in the minority - at least on here!

Mordaunt appeals to certain Tory tastes. She was smart, composed and competent yesterday, which distinguishes her from many of the leaders in her party.

Personally, not my cup of tea. I generally seek more from a leader than being able to carry a big metal stick and look severe, but appreciate how she might look refreshingly dignified to a certain type of Tory.

Will she be leader? I doubt it.
  • Options

I would just say the strength and stamina to hold that very heavy sword at right angles to her body for 45 minutes, and at times walking and singing the anthem was extraordinary and Penny deserves all the praise she is receiving
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Mordaunt appeals to certain Tory tastes. She was smart, composed and competent yesterday, which distinguishes her from many of the leaders in her party.

Personally, not my cup of tea. I generally seek more from a leader than being able to carry a big metal stick and look severe, but appreciate how she might look refreshingly dignified to a certain type of Tory.

'Certain type of tory' includes Emily Thornberry and Alastair Campbell who have been unstinting in their praise for her !!
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,147

No, you are in a minority everywhere

From the Guardian

"Pippa Middleton of the coronation: Penny Mordaunt steals the show"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/may/06/pippa-middleton-of-the-coronation-penny-mordaunt-steals-the-show

To the Telegraph

"Penny Mordaunt emerges as the Pippa Middleton of the Coronation"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2023/05/06/penny-mourdant-outfit-king-coronation/

To the indy

"Mightier than the sword: Who is Penny Mordaunt, the surprise star of King Charles’ coronation?"

to Time magazine

https://time.com/6277718/penny-mordaunt-king-charles-coronation/

To Sky

https://news.sky.com/story/kings-coronation-penny-mordaunt-takes-the-limelight-carrying-enormous-sword-12874628

To People Magazine

https://people.com/royals/all-about-penny-mordaunt-the-politician-at-king-charles-coronation/

To Australia

‘Pippa of the coronation’: World swoons over Penny Mordaunt

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/royals/pippa-of-the-coronation-world-swoons-over-penny-mordaunt/news-story/618131fdd44707382c9d23eafcb0db07

And many many more
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,932

Good morning

I very much doubt the conservatives will move against Sunak and, apart from the siren voices of the Nadine Dorries Johnson obsessives, Sunak will lead into GE 24

Johnson's attire yesterday was a disgrace as he showed no respect to anyone attending the event

Compare and contrast Johnson to the unexpected star of the coronation, Penny Mordaunt who has received congratulations and admiration for her 'sword bearing' from across the political divide including Emily Thornberry and most surprisingly Alistair Campbell

I would just add as an ambivalent monarchist, I do believe yesterday mattered to millions and even the Church of England tradition, while archaic, is important to many so why just not be pleased for everyone enjoying themselves rather than carping on the side

The 1953 coronation I witnessed was in a very different time with Churchill as PM and of course Britain was very much a colonial power and when I contrast it to yesterday, there has been a very welcome change to more inclusion and diversity.

I expect Charles will continue to adapt the monarchy to today's world and I wish him well and much prefer a monarchy to a republic but also fully understand why so many Commonwealth countries will become republics in time

There is obviously a disease in England and seemingly Wales now as well, a fake pretendy one day reserve Navy clown holds a sword for a few minutes at an arsehole's halloween party and Tories are gushing all over the place about how wonderful the no user is and how the Tories are no longer grifting , cheating , lying crooks. It is just unbelievable.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Given the amount of no good useless grifting no use dumb clucks they have picked before she must be in with a chance. They seem to like useless clowns as leaders.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

rcs1000 said:

Why 11 to 1...
    Because Ladbrokes is offering 10-1
  • Options

I am with you, a weirdo for sure
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231
    malcolmg said:

Good morning

There is obviously a disease in England and seemingly Wales now as well, a fake pretendy one day reserve Navy clown holds a sword for a few minutes at an arsehole's halloween party and Tories are gushing all over the place about how wonderful the no user is and how the Tories are no longer grifting , cheating , lying crooks. It is just unbelievable.
    Be honest Malc, you’re just jealous they left the ceremonial turnip out so you had no role.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

'Certain type of tory' includes Emily Thornberry and Alastair Campbell who have been unstinting in their praise for her !!
    I don’t think either Thornberry or Campbell want her to be PM despite celebrating her good performance in a ceremonial role,

I might be wrong, but that was my point. There is a little bit more to the premiership than looking good at a ceremony.

There are however some Tories that would have liked it, largely because she contrasts so strongly with Sunak, Truss and Johnson.

I still doubt she will be leader.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,432

Jonathan said:

Big space between doing her part excellently yesterday and being a suitable party leader or PM.

If we can get round her having been politically partisan for quite a while, might she make a more than decent speaker?

Another thought on yesterday- it was splendid to have Rishi reading an epistle, but jarring in that case. It was a pretty hardcore bit of explicitly Christian theology being read by a non-Christian. Full marks to Rishi but not fair on him. There's plenty of "be excellent to each other" readings in both Testaments that would have been more appropriate. Someone on the Church side should have spotted that.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

And yet she is a worldwide internet sensation

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/britain/mightier-than-the-sword-who-is-penny-mordaunt-the-surprise-star-for-coronation-of-britains-king-charles/a1375215267.html

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/who-is-penny-mordaunt-u-k-politician-first-woman-to-present-sword-of-offering-to-british-monarch-1.6387314

https://en.as.com/latest_news/who-is-penny-mordaunt-the-woman-in-the-teal-colored-dress-carrying-the-17th-century-sword-of-state-n/
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,971
    edited May 2023

And the implication that being able to hold an 8kg sword upright for 90 minutes is the key indicator of suitability to be PM strikes me as odd.

Especially given that her actual achievements as a minister are negligible to say the least.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,258
    Great post @TSE really interesting situation and link to the Guardian piece.

I mentioned on Friday that Rishi Sunak is nothing to anyone.

Quite harsh but that's about the sum of it. He can't win back the blue wall and he can't win back the red wall.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Good morning

Good morning Malc

Bonny day here and hope the same in Ayrshire

The compliments Penny are receiving are from many different political and non political people and I doubt you have experienced carrying anything like the sword she did yesterday and somethings are above politics and sniping and this is one of them

I am about to continue a DIY project and hope you have an enjoyable day
  • Options

And the implication that being able to hold an 8kg sword upright for 90 minutes is the key indicator of suitability to be PM strikes me as odd.
    It's not the actual carrying of the sword. It's the tantalising hint of star quality and charisma

If Sunak crashes (as seems likely) to a bad defeat in 2024 the Tories will be desperate to find someone else who can pep them up. Penny M is funny and charismatic. I can see her getting the gig

Who else? Kemi B?
  • Options
    p.s. had a great time on Dartmoor yesterday. Switched off the news all day. Bliss.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Big space between doing her part excellently yesterday and being a suitable party leader or PM.

If we can get round her having been politically partisan for quite a while, might she make a more than decent speaker?

Another thought on yesterday- it was splendid to have Rishi reading an epistle, but jarring in that case. It was a pretty hardcore bit of explicitly Christian theology being read by a non-Christian. Full marks to Rishi but not fair on him. There's plenty of "be excellent to each other" readings in both Testaments that would have been more appropriate. Someone on the Church side should have spotted that.
    I through it unfair to ask him to read that piece,
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995
    Leon said:

malcolmg said:

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/britain/mightier-than-the-sword-who-is-penny-mordaunt-the-surprise-star-for-coronation-of-britains-king-charles/a1375215267.html

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/who-is-penny-mordaunt-u-k-politician-first-woman-to-present-sword-of-offering-to-british-monarch-1.6387314

https://en.as.com/latest_news/who-is-penny-mordaunt-the-woman-in-the-teal-colored-dress-carrying-the-17th-century-sword-of-state-n/
    This isn't quite as cringe as your Kari Lake infatuation so that's progress.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,105
    Leon said:

From the Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/may/06/pippa-middleton-of-the-coronation-penny-mordaunt-steals-the-show

To the Telegraph

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2023/05/06/penny-mourdant-outfit-king-coronation/

To the indy

"Mightier than the sword: Who is Penny Mordaunt, the surprise star of King Charles’ coronation?"

to Time magazine

To Sky

https://news.sky.com/story/kings-coronation-penny-mordaunt-takes-the-limelight-carrying-enormous-sword-12874628

To People Magazine

https://people.com/royals/all-about-penny-mordaunt-the-politician-at-king-charles-coronation/

To Australia

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/royals/pippa-of-the-coronation-world-swoons-over-penny-mordaunt/news-story/618131fdd44707382c9d23eafcb0db07

And many many more
    Yup. My staunchly Labour family was united in admiration of Ms Mordaunt's contribution to the Coronation. Of course, looking fabulous during some arcane ceremonials isn't exactly a recommendation for high office, but the fact that she found a way to shine without appearing to be trying to upstage the King does at least suggest some decent political/comms antennae. I suspect she has more appeal to people outside the Tory base than most high ranking politicians in her party - the fact that her alleged wokeness ruled her out for the leadership is indicative I think of how the ideological obsessions of hard right culture warriors are damaging the Tory brand.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

I don’t think either Thornberry or Campbell want her to be PM despite celebrating her good performance in a ceremonial role,

I might be wrong, but that was my point. There is a little bit more to the premiership than looking good at a ceremony.

There are however some Tories that would have liked it, largely because she contrasts so strongly with Sunak, Truss and Johnson.

I have no idea whether she will be leader, but the praise she is receiving is for a difficult job very well done
  • Options
    Leon said:

malcolmg said:

Plenty of easily pleased cretins across the world
  • Options
    Leon said:

It's not the actual carrying of the sword. It's the tantalising hint of star quality and charisma

If Sunak crashes (as seems likely) to a bad defeat in 2024 the Tories will be desperate to find someone else who can pep them up. Penny M is funny and charismatic. I can see her getting the gig

Who else? Kemi B?
    My hunch is that leading a post defeat Tory party will be about ideological purity and setting direction and less about looking good on the telly. If Sunak is defeated, the right will seize the moment, Badenoch is far more likely.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Re your finally paragraph Rishi reading the gospel at the coronation as a Hindu and the perfect way he delivered it was an extraordinary moment in our diversity and should be celebrated
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

malcolmg said:

You are always ferociously mean about La Mordaunt. I suspect you secretly want her to cane you with that sword

She's too toppy for me, but clearly the curiosity of the world is piqued
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,374
    edited May 2023
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Why 11 to 1...
    Because Ladbrokes is offering 10-1
    10/1 also with Star Sports, who are more likely to take a large bet.

ETA to clarify we are talking about Rishi Sunak, not Starmer. Hills offer just 5/1 but are operating to double the overround, not applying political judgement.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,610

Especially given that her actual achievements as a minister are negligible to say the least.
    Indeed. I would have thought being able to turn out well dressed, and behave in a dignified manner was pretty much a starting point. Not always something that we get in our politicians though.

I liked Penny as the best of a bad bunch in the Tory leadership contest last year, but she was pretty vacuous when put in the spotlight, and her denial of her previous views a failure of integrity.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Good morning

Good morning Malc

The compliments Penny are receiving are from many different political and non political people and I doubt you have experienced carrying anything like the sword she did yesterday and somethings are above politics and sniping and this is one of them

Enjoy your project G, I ma off to airport to pick up my daughter. I for sure could carry a sword far better than that big fake. I have had to work all my life which these clowns would never understand having never done a real days work. I would not fare so well on the grifting , troughing and lining my own pockets though.
  • Options
    The immigration issue is interesting in that article. The anti-woke table thumpers seem to believe it's a vote winner and if you look at Mike's issues chart from the other day, you'd think it matters (unlike, say, trans bashing which doesn't).

But we're also all a lot more savvy these days. We can see all around us that there is a chronic staff shortage. In short, we NEED immigrants! The entertainment industry is collapsing because we chased out all those brilliant eastern European workers. White Brits don't want to get up at 3.30 am to go and pick potatoes in a muddy Lincolnshire field. And the NHS is falling apart because staff are leaving in droves.

I'm not sure Starmer could dare to go head-on about this, because the Hate Mail would be jabbering and screeching, but perhaps the anti-immigration right wing lurch of the current tory party is doing to their chances exactly what John Major did with his Back to Basics nonsense.

They're doomed. I know it. Most people know it. Just a few refuseniks for whom the scales are yet to fall.
  • Options

There is no fucking way that sword weighs 8kg because a) PM4PM's bingo wings would have given out and b) my 30" Toledo blade RN officer's sword which was made for actually killing people in the Crimean War weighs far less than that.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,374
    The header analysis probably reduces the chance of Labour showing much ankle on Europe, which leaves that gap to the LibDems if they wish to fill it.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,105
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

I'm sure he had to do stuff like that all the time at Winchester. Our establishment has up to now been extremely monocultural, and anyone who pierces it from the outside (be that from a religious, racial or class point of view) is well versed in what they have to do to fit into its cultural landscape.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,349
    edited May 2023

The Times doesn't agree with you. ..

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/94a4f86c-ec2b-11ed-b57b-ee6b80a630d2?shareToken=48660d61913a3658911ef93513aafb5c
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

I have no idea whether she will be leader, but the praise she is receiving is for a difficult job very well done
    She certainly deserves praise for yesterday, but apart from @Leon s point that looking good on telly is a plus (and she looks better than Sunak and his immediate predecessors), she has a long way to go before being a serious leadership contender. The winds are against her in my opinion.
  • Options
    Leon said:

From the Guardian

To the Telegraph

To the indy

to Time magazine

To Sky

To People Magazine

To Australia

And many many more

She certainly got noticed, no doubt about it.

• Options
    Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

malcolmg said:

You are always ferociously mean about La Mordaunt. I suspect you secretly want her to cane you with that sword

Reminder to all pb'ers - this from the guy who said Liz Truss was wonderful and the saviour of Britain.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231
    Dura_Ace said:

There is no fucking way that sword weighs 8kg because a) PM4PM's bingo wings would have given out and b) my 30" Toledo blade RN officer's sword which was made for actually killing people in the Crimean War weighs far less than that.
    I think it’s actually 3.5kg. 8lb. Which sounds a bit more like it.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735
    Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Who else? Kemi B?
    My hunch is that leading a post defeat Tory party will be about ideological purity and setting direction and less about looking good on the telly. If Sunak is defeated, the right will seize the moment, Badenoch is far more likely.
    Truss got the job mainly from playing dress up and draping herself in the flag. Alexander won by inventing a whole special character. Imagine the boost for this! She should be favourite.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,329

Jonathan said:

Perhaps, but bear in mind that those two are often on manoeuvres.
  • Options

Leon said:

From the Guardian

To the Telegraph

To the indy

to Time magazine

To Sky

To People Magazine

To Australia

And many many more
    Yup. My staunchly Labour family was united in admiration of Ms Mordaunt's contribution to the Coronation. Of course, looking fabulous during some arcane ceremonials isn't exactly a recommendation for high office, but the fact that she found a way to shine without appearing to be trying to upstage the King does at least suggest some decent political/comms antennae. I suspect she has more appeal to people outside the Tory base than most high ranking politicians in her party - the fact that her alleged wokeness ruled her out for the leadership is indicative I think of how the ideological obsessions of hard right culture warriors are damaging the Tory brand.
    No, of course. "Strange women lying about in ponds is no basis" etc etc

And yet when Sunak is toppled and the Tories look in a cupboard for a replacement, that cupboard is going to be stark and empty. I can see Mordaunt making it into a final V Kemi Badenoch, and she could win

Also it wasn't simply her Wokeness that ruined her chances last time. It was her oddly wooden performances in the Debates, when many of us were willing her on, and when she is known to be an articulate and witty speaker. Now we know that she was going through some horrible family stuff, and was understandably distracted

Of course there is the minor point that she seems to lack any serious, coherent political philosophy but that is true of Keir Starmer and Rishi Sunak
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

I think she could well become Tory leader on the back of that showing. I am not sure it would be a great idea, but I can definitely see it happening.

• Options
    edited May 2023
    Foxy said:

I liked Penny as the best of a bad bunch in the Tory leadership contest last year, but she was pretty vacuous when put in the spotlight, and her denial of her previous views a failure of integrity.
    People who have worked with her have serious misgivings which is always a tell tale sign. She's bone idle, for a start. And she seems totally confused about her own policies, allowing herself to be blown around like spindrift.

After the election defeat she will recast herself as a moderate, after a lot of nastiness she has spouted in the last twelve months.

But the next leader of the Cons party will be a poisoned chalice. They will be out of office for at least a decade.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,971
    malcolmg said:

Leon said:

malcolmg said:

Plenty of easily pleased cretins across the world
    It’s been vintage Malc this morning! As invigorating as the double espresso I’ve just had.
  • Options
    edited May 2023

Jonathan said:

Re your finally paragraph Rishi reading the gospel at the coronation as a Hindu and the perfect way he delivered it was an extraordinary moment in our diversity and should be celebrated
    He read it well, he just doesn't believe it, so an odd choice of text or reader. There are plenty of inclusive texts to have chosen, which would be acceptable to many other faiths, rather than one specifically of Christian theology.

• Options
    edited May 2023
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

malcolmg said:

Reminder to all pb'ers - this from the guy who said Liz Truss was wonderful and the saviour of Britain.
    No, I said she was effing awful in the debates. Especially the early ones. And she was

Later on in a desperate fit of wishful thinking I said "she might surprise on the upside"

I am happy to admit I got that quite significantly wrong
  • Options
    If the Tories do lose the next election and Sunak stands down, I think the smart choice to replace him would be James Cleverley. He looks credible and does not give the impression of being an ideologue. I wonder what chance he would have.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

I think she could well become Tory leader on the back of that showing. I am not sure it would be a great idea, but I can definitely see it happening.

She clearly wants to be leader, but after what the Tory establishment did to her last time and state a post defeat Tory party will be in, I suspect she will be unsuccessful again. They will want clear ideological blue water after Sunak.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

When you say its not a great idea, do you think it a great idea if they go for the other front runners like Badenoch, Boris, Braverman, Dowden either.....
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Good morning

Good morning Malc

Enjoy your project G, I ma off to airport to pick up my daughter. I for sure could carry a sword far better than that big fake. I have had to work all my life which these clowns would never understand having never done a real days work. I would not fare so well on the grifting , troughing and lining my own pockets though.
    "Never done a day's work"

Really? Penny Mordaunt?

This is her backstory

"Mordaunt was 15 when her mother died of breast cancer and after leaving school, she became her younger brother Edward's primary caregiver. The following year her father was also diagnosed with cancer, from which he recovered. In order to support her time at university Mordaunt worked in a Johnson & Johnson factory,"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_Mordaunt
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Leon said:

It's the tantalising hint of star quality and charisma
    Almost word for word the nonsense you posted about Liz Truss, with whom you were also infatuated.

Would you like me to paste back on here all those love-in praise quotes you heaped on Truss during the leadership campaign?

Or shall we just leave it there?
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Leon said:

Also it wasn't simply her Wokeness that ruined her chances last time. It was her oddly wooden performances in the Debates, when many of us were willing her on, and when she is known to be an articulate and witty speaker. Now we know that she was going through some horrible family stuff, and was understandably distracted

Somebody who gets "distracted" by family shit so they get beasted by Sunak and Truss in a debate shouldn't be PM anyway.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

He read it well, he just doesn't believe it, so an odd choice of text or reader. There are plenty of inclusive texts to have chosen, which would be acceptable to many other faiths, rather than one specifically of Christian theology.

It was a Church of England event with an eucharist so a reading from the gospel would be natural and would not justify tailoring it

Rishi read it well as has been widely accepted, and to be fair how many other PMs past or future will have to perform similar roles without having a personal belief in them
  • Options

Jonathan said:

When you say its not a great idea, do you think it a great idea if they go for the other front runners like Badenoch, Boris, Braverman, Dowden either.....
    Even with her lacklustre performance in the summer leadership contest, and implausible reverse ferret over Self ID, she was still the best option.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

malcolmg said:

No, I said she was effing awful in the debates. Especially the early ones. And she was

Later on in a desperate fit of wishful thinking I said "she might surprise on the upside"

Glorious revisionism 'Leon'.

I have a whole series of your love-ins about Truss. You said she had star quality. That somehow, quite by chance, the tory party had stumbled upon the diamond in the rough, a person of stellar appeal and quality, who was going to revitalise the Conservative Party.

You were suckered by Truss and now you're suckered by Mordaunt. Your political judgement is over-ruled by emotions, or your cock, or both.
  • Options
    Leon said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Good morning

Good morning Malc

"Never done a day's work"

Really? Penny Mordaunt?

This is her backstory

"Mordaunt was 15 when her mother died of breast cancer and after leaving school, she became her younger brother Edward's primary caregiver. The following year her father was also diagnosed with cancer, from which he recovered. In order to support her time at university Mordaunt worked in a Johnson & Johnson factory,"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_Mordaunt
    The right wing press ripped her apart last summer, giving her the treatment usually reserved for Labour leaders. It’s possible that yesterday changed that, but up against an ideologically pure conservative I suspect she will suffer the same fate.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    edited May 2023
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

I don't see why. I would be happy to read a Hindu text in an equivalent context. I also don't think it was wonderfully diverse that he did.

Penny Mordaunt AFAIK has never executed any of her many ministerial posts competently. Still would prefer her to Badenoch as PM who I suspect might have some latent capability if she wasn't so obsessed by ideology.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

Even with her lacklustre performance in the summer leadership contest, and implausible reverse ferret over Self ID, she was still the best option.
    I thought Sunak the best option and despite him being disappointing so far, not at all convinced I was wrong. Not an easy party to lead would be an understatement.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

It's the tantalising hint of star quality and charisma
    Almost word for word the nonsense you posted about Liz Truss, with whom you were also infatuated.

Would you like me to paste back on here all those love-in praise quotes you heaped on Truss during the leadership campaign?

Or shall we just leave it there?
    Given that I've just admitted I said some ludicrously over-optimistic things about La Truss, that would be quite the exercise in futility. But if it wastes half an hour of your day, please do

And remember, I did spot THE NECKLACE

Which was the single greatest psycho-political observation in the history of PB
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

I don't see why. I would be happy to read a Hindu text in an equivalent context. I also don't think it was wonderfully diverse that he did.

Penny Mordaunt AFAIK has never executed any of her many ministerial posts competently. Still would prefer her to Badenoch as PM who I suspect might have some latent capability if she wasn't so obsessed by ideology.
    If we are honest about it plenty of priests and other religious teachers have been or over time become non believers but still read out their scripts each week. The idea the words are only ever read out aloud by devout believers is quite strange to me.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

malcolmg said:

Glorious revisionism 'Leon'.

I have a whole series of your love-ins about Truss. You said she had star quality. That somehow, quite by chance, the tory party had stumbled upon the diamond in the rough, a person of stellar appeal and quality, who was going to revitalise the Conservative Party.

You were suckered by Truss and now you're suckered by Mordaunt. Your political judgement is over-ruled by emotions, or your cock, or both.
    Are you still boiling kettles of water and keeping the result in a thermos to save 0.000000001p a day?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

Exactly.

...who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son. In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins...

If Rishi believes that, how can he not potter down to his nearest vicarage and ask to convert? I'm not accusing Rishi of doing anything wrong, but the Church was impolite in getting him to read that text. Part of doing multi-and-no faith services well is recognising which words are neutral and which ones aren't.

Unfortunately (because it is my church after all, and I'm off to run a coronation Sunday School in a bit) there have been a couple of missteps by the CofE this Coronation, and they've been linked to overreaching with how Anglican the country is.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    edited May 2023
    Leon said:

Leon said:

From the Guardian

To the Telegraph

To the indy

to Time magazine

To Sky

To People Magazine

To Australia

And many many more

And yet when Sunak is toppled and the Tories look in a cupboard for a replacement, that cupboard is going to be stark and empty. I can see Mordaunt making it into a final V Kemi Badenoch, and she could win

Of course there is the minor point that she seems to lack any serious, coherent political philosophy but that is true of Keir Starmer and Rishi Sunak
    I just looked in to the outcome of the case against her brother. He didn't go to jail and as far as I can see from the reporting, wasn't put on the sex offenders register. On a personal level I don't disagree with this outcome but if it gets dug up in the future I think it could cause problems, as it seems to be unusually lenient.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11204029/Tory-MP-Penny-Mordaunts-brother-avoids-jail-admitting-sending-sex-images-decoy-schoolgirl.html

Edit - this could actually be construed to be a real example of what labour have been attacking Sunak on, ie where someone convicted of child sex offences doesn't go to jail.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

A useful reminder of the last time @Leon did this to us

lol. I just admitted in this thread that I said "some ludicrously over-optimistic things about Truss"

So, well done. You've just wasted 3 minutes of your life when you could have been keeping more boiled water warm

But I'm flattered that you actually hoard screenshots of my comments
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

lol. I just admitted in this thread that I said "some ludicrously over-optimistic things about Truss"

So, well done. You've just wasted 3 minutes of your life when you could have been keeping more boiled water warm

Give him is due, that is a peach that made me chuckle on a Sunday morning,
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

I don't think he will have minded in the slightest.

I wouldn't have minded reading out a religious text for a friend at a ceremony, and indeed have worn a skull-cap at a synagogue before for a friend's wedding and joined in the chanting. I like tradition and ritual anyway and would view it as a sign of respect and would do my best to both appreciate it and understand it.

This sort of sentiment is more about our own discomfort with our own religion and traditions.
  • Options
    The strangest/dodgiest thing about Mourdant is her Royal Navy reserve claims.
  • Options
    Wasn’t Liz Truss stunning at the Coronation? Absolutely stood out a mile in terms of quality against the second raters that are our other former PMs. Top up on her for next leader while you can. You’ll thank me later.
  • Options
    darkage said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

From the Guardian

To the Telegraph

To the indy

to Time magazine

To Sky

To People Magazine

To Australia

And many many more

I just looked in to the outcome of the case against her brother. He didn't go to jail and as far as I can see from the reporting, wasn't put on the sex offenders register. On a personal level I don't disagree with this outcome but if it gets dug up in the future I think it could cause problems, as it seems to be unusually lenient.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11204029/Tory-MP-Penny-Mordaunts-brother-avoids-jail-admitting-sending-sex-images-decoy-schoolgirl.html

Edit - this could actually be construed to be a real example of what labour have been attacking Sunak on, ie where someone convicted of child sex offences doesn't go to jail.
    You can't choose your family. All rather sad
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    F1: pre-race tosh will be up later than usual as the markets aren't fully up yet.
  • Options
    edited May 2023

Yeah, and actually it's not the only one. There are a number of mistruths of which that is one of the most prominent.

And she is known to be bone idle. Part-time Penny was her tag in office.

I remember reading one tory activist expressing surprise at the way she wafted into the Hay on Way book festival by helicopter and then out again shortly after. They felt that there was a chip missing. Something that didn't all quite click or feel right.

Others who have worked with her are less charitable.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

I don't think anyone needs to hoard them. Just have to pick any random post to find you getting stuff spectacularly wrong.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

I wouldn't have minded reading out a religious text for a friend at a ceremony, and indeed have worn a skull-cap at a synagogue before for a friend's wedding and joined in the chanting. I like tradition and ritual anyway and would view it as a sign of respect and would do my best to both appreciate it and understand it.

This sort of sentiment is more about our own discomfort with our own religion and traditions.
    Yes, he didn't exactly look uncomfortable. He did it with panache and confidence. He's quite good at set speechifying

A trivial argument
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Genuine LOL. Good work.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

malcolmg said:

@Dura_Ace is a bit of a misogynist.

Time and time again his aggression towards women comes out on here.
  • Options
    edited May 2023

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

FWIW my faith teaches the notion that if you say something, you should believe it. The question is whether a reading is mere ceremonial recitation or has actual meaning and significance. At a CoE coronation, I think it tends towards the later, which meant I was sympathetic to the position Sunak found himself in with that particular reading. 🤷‍♂️
  • Options

Never been to sea but wears the dolphins. Worse than "dodgy".
  • Options
    Heathener said:

p.s. had a great time on Dartmoor yesterday. Switched off the news all day. Bliss.

Agreed, it was bliss.

We didn't have to put up with your clichéd blitherings on here.
  • Options
    Leon said:

malcolmg said:

What's interesting is how that story grew and propagated worldwide off the back of social media virality.

That's how news is done these days, it seems.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

From the Guardian

To the Telegraph

To the indy

to Time magazine

To Sky

To People Magazine

To Australia

And many many more

You can't choose your family. All rather sad
    True... I still think however that this is a vulnerability because of the outcome of the case.

It does reflect well on her that she hasn't thrown her brother under a bus to save their own career, like some people do when this sort of thing happens.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Yeah, and actually it's not the only one. There are a number of mistruths of which that is one of the most prominent.

And she is known to be bone idle. Part-time Penny was her tag in office.

I remember reading one tory activist expressing surprise at the way she wafted into the Hay on Way book festival by helicopter and then out again shortly after. They felt that there was a chip missing. Something that didn't all quite click or feel right.

Others who have worked with her are less charitable.

To be fair to Mordaunt, a lot of the negative stuff comes from a full-scale, concerted Daily Mail attack on her during the Tory leadership campaign. They wanted Truss to win and saw Mordaunt as a major obstacle.

As we know from its pursuit of Ed Miliband and Keir Starmer, the Mail is not necessarily that focused on balance when it decides to go after someone in politics it has taken a dislike to.

I can easily see the Mail being a lot kinder to Mordaunt in the future. It will be as if its previous disdain and hatred had never existed!

• Options
    edited May 2023
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

I am with you on this

You have admitted to her you were wrong and she just reposts as if she wants to continue an argument which is over

Time to move on
  • Options
    Temperatures hitting 40C in Bangkok right about now. Yesterday was the hottest day ever recorded in the city
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Wasn’t Liz Truss stunning at the Coronation? Absolutely stood out a mile in terms of quality against the second raters that are our other former PMs. Top up on her for next leader while you can. You’ll thank me later.

Who ?
  • Options
    On topic, Sunak won't go anywhere because other factions are too small/disorganised/comedy to be able to get anywhere against him. However, I do expect them to increase their sniping now - which will go all the way down to the general.

The Brexit link weakening doesn't surprise me. Once Brexit was "done" it was always going to be the case that voters would then want delivery and that's where the Tories are perceived to be failing.
  • Options

Leon said:

Heathener said:

I am with you on this

You have admitted to her you were wrong and she just reposts as if she wants to continue an argue which is over

Time to move on
    Leon has never taken himself too seriously, occasionally his hyperbole gets him into trouble, In this case it’s just funny,
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

I am with you on this

You have admitted to her you were wrong and she just reposts as if she wants to continue an argue which is over

Time to move on
    Leon has never taken himself too seriously, occasionally his hyperbole gets him into trouble, In this case it’s just funny,
    I agree and I would just say a similar charge could be laid @Heathener
  • Options

On topic, Sunak won't go anywhere because other factions are too small/disorganised/comedy to be able to get anywhere against him. However, I do expect them to increase their sniping now - which will go all the way down to the general.

The Brexit link weakening doesn't surprise me. Once Brexit was "done" it was always going to be the case that voters would then want delivery and that's where the Tories are perceived to be failing.

Big dog got vey close last time, is he beyond undermining Sunak and making another attempt? If Sunak has a poor summer, Boris will be there ready to exact revenge and “save the party”.

He can’t help himself, it is in his nature to plot and undermine leaders.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

FWIW my faith teaches the notion that if you say something, you should believe it. The question is whether a reading is mere ceremonial recitation or has actual meaning and significance. At a CoE coronation, I think it tends towards the later, which meant I was sympathetic to the position Sunak found himself in with that particular reading. 🤷‍♂️
    I think most faiths draw a distinction between making a personal pledge or commitment to your faith, or the equivalent in your private life - which is about sincerity and integrity- and a ceremonial one where you are respectfully playing a role for others. To some extent he might even have looked for lessons he could draw from and agree with in the text as well, which is what I would do. Religious people can often appreciate other religions rather well - they're not all fanatics.

We think he must have because he's non-white and a Hindu - and feel a bit cringey about him being "forced" to do our culture, again reflecting our own discomforts not his - but I can assure you he won't have minded in the slightest.

It's a total non-issue.
  • Options
    edited May 2023

I can't see Sunak surviving a defeat where Starmer gets an overall majority, indeed it is difficult to see him sruviving any defeat where Labour takes over. The Tories are ruthless with their leaders

In which case who succeeds Rishi?

This is where Mordaunt has a chance, simply because she has name recognition and a kind of brand. Apart from her there's Kemi Badenoch. Maybe Cleverley, like @SouthamObserver says?

Jeremy Hunt will go down with the ship

The bookies have Badenoch as favourite, Boris 2nd favorite (just not going to happen, surely) then Mordaunt next, then Wallace

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-conservative-leader-after-rishi-sunak
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

I think most faiths draw a distinction between making a personal pledge or commitment, or
    Jonathan said:

Big dog got vey close last time, is he beyond undermining Sunak and making another attempt? If Sunak has a poor summer, Boris will be there ready to exact revenge and “save the party”.

He can’t help himself, it is in his nature to plot and undermine leaders.
    Yes, he's beyond that.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Makes sense of the split I think I'm seeing here. It's the practicing Christians saying "hold on, not fair of the Church to put Rishi in this position", the cultural Christians saying "isn't it lovely", and the GBNews crew furious at Rishi for reading a Christian text at all.
This discussion has been closed.