Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Latest general election most seats betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,070

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Leicester because of Islam/Hindu, Brighton because they’re godless?

✝️Christians as a percentage of population in [city] in 2021

Carlisle 53.3%
    Doncaster 50.9%
    Wrexham 49.5%
    Gloucester 47.7%
    Peterborough 46.3%
    Worcester 48.9%
    Stoke 45.8%
    Coventry 43.9%
    Leeds 42.3%
    London 41.7%
    Newcastle 41.3%
    Swansea 41.3%
    Derby 40.2%
    Southampton 40.1%
    Hull 39.9%
    Sheffield 38.5%
    Cardiff 38.3%
    Oxford 38.1%
    Manchester 36.2%
    Cambridge 35.2%
    Nottingham 34.7%
    Birmingham 34.0%
    Norwich 33.6%
    Bradford 33.4%
    Bristol 32.2%
    Brighton & Hove 30.9%
    Leicester 24.7%

Source: ONS.

https://twitter.com/Rob_Kimbell/status/1651817996870885376?s=20

Amazing what a big-ass cathedral can do.

Carlisle, Gloucester, Peterborough, Worcester, Coventry: all big-ass cathedral cities, all near the top of the list.

Leicester, Birmingham, Manchester: over-promoted parish churches, all near the bottom of the list. Oxford: college chapel. Cambridge: doesn't even have one.

Handful of exceptions (Doncaster; Bristol, Norwich) but it's an interesting correlation nonetheless.
    In my experience even atheists in cities with great Medieval cathedrals like Durham, Worcester, Salisbury, Gloucester,
    St David's, York, Canterbury,
    Winchester and Lincoln are proud of their cathedrals as great landmarks and features of the city
    Well, in the case of Durham, Worcester, Salisbury, Gloucester, York and above all Lincoln they literally dominate the city. They are still the tallest and largest buildings and the site of many major and important events including concerts and plays.

(You could have added Lichfield, Ely and Hereford to that list, by the way.)
    Ely for sure; the ‘Ship of the Fens’, One can see it for miles.
    There must have been many a weary traveller far from home on the M25 whose spirits were raised by the distant sight of St Albans.
    There's a great spot on the M11 when you can suddenly see London's cluster of skyscrapers on the horizon, always a welcome sight on a long drive home from the North.
    Crossing the M25 from the outside always lifts my spirits.
  • Options

A nontrivial proportion of self-declared Christians neither attend church nor believe in God. So the actual Christian populations of the cities listed above will be rather lower.

I think it's quite hard to come up with a watertight definition of an, "actual Christian".

My mother-in-law used to attend church every Sunday, though the trick was to arrive just late enough that you had to wait in the foyer for the first bit of the service and have the opportunity to catch-up on the gossip. Was she an "actual Christian" at the time?

Her first three grandchildren have all been baptised, with godparents appointed to keep the devil and his works at bay. The Catholic Church would certainly claim those children as their own, and I'd expect them all to go through first communion and confirmation, etc, when the time comes - is that enough to make them "actual Christians" or are they simply going through the motions of the traditional cultural practices that exist in society?

It's really hard to say without having a window into their souls. Self-reporting might be as good as you are going to get. Saying that you are a Christian must mean something to the people who answer in that way, even if it doesn't mean the same now as it would have done in the 19th, 17th or 12th centuries.
    I'd define an actual Christian quite simply – someone who believes in the Christian God. Is there much more to it?
    I'd say it's the same for any religion. Either you believe in your preferred deity or you don't. I dunno why they have to make it so complicated!
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,653
    SandraMc said:

Leon said:

SandraMc said:

Durham Cathedral is my favourite, followed by Wells.

Both amazing, aye

Ely sailing like a ship above the fenland mist is also spectacular

Salisbury is uniquely perfect. Lincoln is incredibly atmospheric

Which are the worst?

Guildford, Manchester, Bristol, Liverpool, Truro….

Guildford I think. So fucking ugly
    Guildford isn't bad inside. But from the outside it reminds me of Willy Wonka's chocolate factory.
    I see I’m not alone in despising Guildford

https://christiantoday.com/article/could.this.be.the.end.for.britains.ugliest.cathedral/104787.htm

It reminds me of a huge, industrial-sized crematorium
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,354
    Lineker 2 Sharp 0
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Dialup said:

Sharpe is off. The Tories are corrupt.

Sharpe has gone flat.

Was a tone deaf appointment.

Is a major embarrassment.

Was purely accidental.

Pick your favourite musical pun from that list...
    A key appointment for base motives.
    Inevitable finale given the chorus of disapproval.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,281

A nontrivial proportion of self-declared Christians neither attend church nor believe in God. So the actual Christian populations of the cities listed above will be rather lower.

I think it's quite hard to come up with a watertight definition of an, "actual Christian".

My mother-in-law used to attend church every Sunday, though the trick was to arrive just late enough that you had to wait in the foyer for the first bit of the service and have the opportunity to catch-up on the gossip. Was she an "actual Christian" at the time?

Her first three grandchildren have all been baptised, with godparents appointed to keep the devil and his works at bay. The Catholic Church would certainly claim those children as their own, and I'd expect them all to go through first communion and confirmation, etc, when the time comes - is that enough to make them "actual Christians" or are they simply going through the motions of the traditional cultural practices that exist in society?

It's really hard to say without having a window into their souls. Self-reporting might be as good as you are going to get. Saying that you are a Christian must mean something to the people who answer in that way, even if it doesn't mean the same now as it would have done in the 19th, 17th or 12th centuries.
    I'd define an actual Christian quite simply – someone who believes in the Christian God. Is there much more to it?
    Laurence Llewyen Bowen is an atheist but still goes to his medieval village church every Sunday as he likes the aesthetics of the building and it is where the local community meet for a catch up. He is friendly with the Vicar who knows he doesn't believe in God.

So he could be a cultural Christian even if a non believer
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,298

There is a slightly tricky aspect to using the word you are trying to define in the definition. It is conventional not to do it.

But the much more interesting question for all groups, Christian, No religion, Islam, everyone else, is "What do you actually think which results in your self identification". On this we have rather a lot of silence.

A recent big book on Humanism (Sarah Bakewell) includes all manner of believers in God in their ranks, including the great Erasmus, a giant of Christian history. Whereas to most people Humanists are people like Dawkins who are specifically atheist or agnostic. These issues are hard.

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,927
    I'm visiting my old University today. I'm about to have a beer in the Union. The last time was almost exactly 50 years ago.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,411
    London is unusual in that it now has by some measure, the highest rate of church attendance of any city in the country.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,354
    edited April 2023

Scott_xP said:

@severincarrell
    BREAKING Number 10 on brink of cancelling a Scottish press briefing with PM @RishiSunak in Glasgow - the first time a PM refuses to meet Scottish newspaper reporters 1/3

Number 10 tried to handpick 6 reporters from centre-right papers & @PA - @ScotParlJournos, including six invited titles, refuse to comply & insist all reporters have access 2/3

After TV reporters ask for one question to Sunak about Sharp resignation, No 10 demand TV cameras leave to do Sharp clip later. They then threaten to cancel press briefing entirely 3/3

Pathetic. What is Sunak afraid of?
    scrutiny
  • Options

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Carlisle 53.3%
    Doncaster 50.9%
    Wrexham 49.5%
    Gloucester 47.7%
    Peterborough 46.3%
    Worcester 48.9%
    Stoke 45.8%
    Coventry 43.9%
    Leeds 42.3%
    London 41.7%
    Newcastle 41.3%
    Swansea 41.3%
    Derby 40.2%
    Southampton 40.1%
    Hull 39.9%
    Sheffield 38.5%
    Cardiff 38.3%
    Oxford 38.1%
    Manchester 36.2%
    Cambridge 35.2%
    Nottingham 34.7%
    Birmingham 34.0%
    Norwich 33.6%
    Bradford 33.4%
    Bristol 32.2%
    Brighton & Hove 30.9%
    Leicester 24.7%

Amazing what a big-ass cathedral can do.

Carlisle, Gloucester, Peterborough, Worcester, Coventry: all big-ass cathedral cities, all near the top of the list.

Leicester, Birmingham, Manchester: over-promoted parish churches, all near the bottom of the list. Oxford: college chapel. Cambridge: doesn't even have one.

Handful of exceptions (Doncaster; Bristol, Norwich) but it's an interesting correlation nonetheless.
    In my experience even atheists in cities with great Medieval cathedrals like Durham, Worcester, Salisbury, Gloucester,
    St David's, York, Canterbury,
    Winchester and Lincoln are proud of their cathedrals as great landmarks and features of the city
    Well, in the case of Durham, Worcester, Salisbury, Gloucester, York and above all Lincoln they literally dominate the city. They are still the tallest and largest buildings and the site of many major and important events including concerts and plays.

(You could have added Lichfield, Ely and Hereford to that list, by the way.)
    Ely for sure; the ‘Ship of the Fens’, One can see it for miles.
    There must have been many a weary traveller far from home on the M25 whose spirits were raised by the distant sight of St Albans.
    There's a great spot on the M11 when you can suddenly see London's cluster of skyscrapers on the horizon, always a welcome sight on a long drive home from the North.
    I had the misfortune to have to travel that way to that there London earlier this week as the M1 is closed at J18. It did look impressive. Driving around London, less impressive.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,634

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Dialup said:

Sharpe has gone flat.

Was purely accidental.

What, though, will be the coda ?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

SandraMc said:

Both amazing, aye

Which are the worst?

Ah now we've been here before, about this time last year. I remember the opprobrium heaped on Truro - and then a month later I drove past Truro Cathedral on a sunny day and was awestruck. Not a typical British cathedral, but rather striking nonetheless. Certainly in the top 1% of attractive buildings in the country, even if not in the top 1% of cathedrals.

Manchester: just a large parish church, basically. Not ugly by any means. Quite charming in its way. But not amazing. Ditto Blackburn.

Manchester had plans for a bloody huge cathedral in Piccadilly Gardens. A pity it never happened: not because Manchester needs a huge cathedral, but because what got put there instead was so ugly. These were the plans:

https://confidentials.com/manchester/imagined-manchester-piccadilly-gardens-in-dreams

(My favourite cathedral is York Minster).
    Truro is fine. It’s just a tiny bit generic neo-gothic. I was being mean. And of course, as a modern cathedral it lacks that numinous quality. I agree that it’s a rather handsome building taken on its own merits

Apparently Derby, Bradford and Sheffield are rubbish, but I just checked them out and they look ok. Merely a bit meh. Adapted parish churches

Nothing in the Anglican list matches the horror of Guildford. Tho there are some truly hideous Catholic jobs
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 12,051
    Leon said:

SandraMc said:

Leon said:

SandraMc said:

Both amazing, aye

Which are the worst?

Guildford isn't bad inside. But from the outside it reminds me of Willy Wonka's chocolate factory.

https://christiantoday.com/article/could.this.be.the.end.for.britains.ugliest.cathedral/104787.htm

I've just Google-image-searched Guildford Cathedral. Yes: I think that's the only Anglican cathedral I've come across which is actively unattractive.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

SandraMc said:

I'm still giving it to Lincoln. Not so much even for the architecture fine though it is, but for that truly stunning setting.
    I visited Wells Cathedral for the first time, a fortnight ago. It's stunning.

Out of Durham, Lincoln, Wells, Exeter, Ely, Winchester, Southwell, York, St. Paul's, St. Alban's, St. David's, I'd be hard pressed to choose.

Ely has a special place in my heart, because when I worked for Wood Green Animal Shelters, there was an annual service to which people took their dogs, who'd all start howling and barking along to the hymns.
    Durham has the greatest interior. Spellbinding. I’d say it has the greatest interior of any cathedral in the world. It’s overwhelming
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Laurence Llewyen Bowen is an atheist but still goes to his medieval village church every Sunday as he likes the aesthetics of the building and it is where the local community meet for a catch up. He is friendly with the Vicar who knows he doesn't believe in God.

Nah, you can't bump up your figures that way. Either you're a believer or not. I like all the Norman churches around these parts, lovely to look at, but I don't believe in the fella they're built to worship.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

SandraMc said:

Both amazing, aye

Which are the worst?

Ah now we've been here before, about this time last year. I remember the opprobrium heaped on Truro - and then a month later I drove past Truro Cathedral on a sunny day and was awestruck. Not a typical British cathedral, but rather striking nonetheless. Certainly in the top 1% of attractive buildings in the country, even if not in the top 1% of cathedrals.

Manchester: just a large parish church, basically. Not ugly by any means. Quite charming in its way. But not amazing. Ditto Blackburn.

Manchester had plans for a bloody huge cathedral in Piccadilly Gardens. A pity it never happened: not because Manchester needs a huge cathedral, but because what got put there instead was so ugly. These were the plans:

https://confidentials.com/manchester/imagined-manchester-piccadilly-gardens-in-dreams

Truro is fine. It’s just a tiny bit generic neo-gothic. I was being mean. And of course, as a modern cathedral it lacks that numinous quality. I agree that it’s a rather handsome building taken on its own merits

Apparently Derby, Bradford and Sheffield are rubbish, but I just checked them out and they look ok. Merely a bit meh. Adapted parish churches

Nothing in the Anglican list matches the horror of Guildford. Tho there are some truly hideous Catholic jobs
    I don't know Bradford, but Derby is nice enough, and I actively like Sheffield. My last bit of active religion was done in Sheffield Cathedral around 15 years ago, where I did a spot of Godfathering.

And yes, what was going through my mind earlier was that Guildford looked like a Catholic cathedral.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,290
    Dialup said:

Dialup said:

I don't think SKS ever claimed to be very left wing. My feeling is that a lot of left wingers decided to put their views on him.

He said Corbyns Manifesto would be the blueprint of his leadership.

He gave 10 pledges none of which he now stands by

Its not even about being left wing its about integrity

He promised to unite all wings of the Party and has done the complete opposite
    The 2017 manifesto. How is what he is offering now very different to that please?
    Its only different in every respect.

No wealth taxes, No Nationalisation, No abolition of University fees.

Literally nothing has survived labour promised an end to austerity they are now promising austerity.

The 2017 Manifesto offered hope of something better and different, SKS now says we cant afford to do anything and offers the square root of FA

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2017/07/11/why-people-voted-labour-or-conservative-2017-gener
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,472
    HYUFD said:

Fine, but he's not a Christian though is he?

Professor Richard Dawkins says he himself is a 'cultural Christian' because he is of that tradition and likes to sing hymns.

But he's not a Christian either.

To be a Christian you must believe in the Christian God, otherwise you are not a Christian. Simple as that.

Otherwise, it's rather like calling someone a supporter of Nottingham Forest because they live in Nottingham, even though they actually support Notts County.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Nah, you can't bump up your figures that way. Either you're a believer or not. I like all the Norman churches around these parts, lovely to look at, but I don't believe in the fella they're built to worship.
    The Church of England can. An atheist who attends church every Sunday and contributes to the collection is more useful to the Church of England than a Christian who never goes to church.

Though technically yes to be a Christian you do need to believe in God and the Trinity

• Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

SandraMc said:

Leon said:

SandraMc said:

Both amazing, aye

Which are the worst?

I've just Google-image-searched Guildford Cathedral. Yes: I think that's the only Anglican cathedral I've come across which is actively unattractive.
    Amazingly, it’s even worse in real life. They should knock it down (apparently this is actually being mooted)
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,155

mickydroy said:

People are forgetting just how far behind Labour starts from.

I couldn't agree more.

I know things aren't equal and all the rest of it, but if Labour took 80 seats (80!) from the Conservatives, then assuming no other changes, Labour would still be second in term of seats (282 v 285).

Tribalism, Swingback, Natural Party of Government, Incumbancy Bias, Better the Devil you know....
    Call it what you want.

Labour have a moutain to climb to get a majority. Only Blair has won that many seats from the last GE.
    To even be the largest party they need 82 gains (and 82 losses to the Conservatives). That's a big ask. It's been done, and its certainly a more realistic target but its still a big ask.
    I have been saying this for ages, Starmer has a mountain to climb, clawing some seats back in Scotland could be crucial, even then I wouldn't be backing a Labour overall majority
    I'm genuinely puzzled why Starmer seems to be going out of his way to alienate progressives (for want of a better word) who could make the difference in so many marginals.

The kerfuffle about PR this week was one example. Starmer's spokesman didn't need to say he has "a long-standing view against proportional representation" - literally no one is going to switch their vote from Con to Lab because Starmer is strongly against PR. Just a non-commital "we have a lot of work to do recovering from 15 years of Tory rule and the voting system isn't an immediate priority" would have been fine. But no, he has to take the small-C conservative line. It happens every time.

As it stands I'm going to be in a Lab/Con stretch marginal after the boundary changes. As such, I should be a target voter for Labour. Right now I'm planning to waste my vote on the LibDems.
    Effectively a vote for the Tories. Bravo.
    Yes. Exactly that. Because my interests are better served by a Lab+LibDem coalition than a Lab majority.

If Starmer doesn't like that sort of tactical voting, he could, I dunno... endorse PR?
    But in your seat it's a straight Lab-Tory fight, so actually you are enhancing your chances of getting a Tory MP – hardly a 'tactical' vote, rather the opposite in fact. Duh!
    Let me try and explain it in words of no more than three syllables.

I'm concerned with who forms the government, not who my MP is.

Right now it looks like there are two plausible outcomes: a Lab majority, or a Lab+others coalition.

A Lab majority, according to Starmer, means continued hard Brexit, no chance of PR, and so on.

Therefore I will be casting my vote (a) to maximise the chance of a coalition (shit, four syllables, sorry) and (b) so that I don't feel dirty after putting my cross in the box.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

SandraMc said:

Leon said:

SandraMc said:

Both amazing, aye

Which are the worst?

Trinity Church, built in 1760 which was the temporary cathedral when the new building was built, is more beautiful than the actual cathedral itself

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Trinity_Church,_Guildford
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    algarkirk said:

There is a slightly tricky aspect to using the word you are trying to define in the definition. It is conventional not to do it.

But the much more interesting question for all groups, Christian, No religion, Islam, everyone else, is "What do you actually think which results in your self identification". On this we have rather a lot of silence.

A recent big book on Humanism (Sarah Bakewell) includes all manner of believers in God in their ranks, including the great Erasmus, a giant of Christian history. Whereas to most people Humanists are people like Dawkins who are specifically atheist or agnostic. These issues are hard.

You are making them needlessly difficult.

See simple flowchart below.

Do you believe in the Christian God?

1) Yes
    2) No

If 1 go to A.

If 2 go to B.

A.) You are a Christian
    B.) You are not a Christian
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,404
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Dialup said:

Sharpe has gone flat.

Was purely accidental.

What, though, will be the coda ?
    We won't find out given the endless repeats.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,422

HYUFD said:

Professor Richard Dawkins says he himself is a 'cultural Christian' because he is of that tradition and likes to sing hymns.

To be a Christian you must believe in the Christian God, otherwise you are not a Christian. Simple as that.

Otherwise, it's rather like calling someone a supporter of Nottingham Forest because they live in Nottingham, even though they actually support Notts County.
    I like the hymns on Sunday religious programmes. They remind us …….Mrs C and I …… of our long-ago youth.
    Not so keen about some of the very modern ones though!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Absolutely. I love a good church.

Doesn't make me a Christian either.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

1) Yes
    2) No

If 1 go to A.

If 2 go to B.

A.) You are a Christian
    The Christian God is the same God of Abraham as the Muslim and Jewish God.

Only belief in the Trinity of God the Father, God the Son and the Holy Spirit makes you a Christian
  • Options
    Unite reject pay offer by 52/48
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

SandraMc said:

Leon said:

SandraMc said:

Both amazing, aye

Which are the worst?

Amazingly, it’s even worse in real life. They should knock it down (apparently this is actually being mooted)
    Ooh, Coventry Cathedral of course - I forgot about that. A special case because there's still the shell of something beautiful: left there, no doubt, to show you what we had once and turned out back on. (It's quite a shock when you go to the continent and see all the buildings that were destroyed in the war then painstakingly recreated rather than discarded for the brave new world of the 50s and 60s.)
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,719
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

SandraMc said:

Both amazing, aye

Which are the worst?

To be fair the “hideous Catholic jobs” wouldn’t need to exist if the beautiful Catholic built and designed ones hadn’t been stolen from them.
  • Options

mickydroy said:

I couldn't agree more.

I know things aren't equal and all the rest of it, but if Labour took 80 seats (80!) from the Conservatives, then assuming no other changes, Labour would still be second in term of seats (282 v 285).

Tribalism, Swingback, Natural Party of Government, Incumbancy Bias, Better the Devil you know....
    Call it what you want.

Labour have a moutain to climb to get a majority. Only Blair has won that many seats from the last GE.
    To even be the largest party they need 82 gains (and 82 losses to the Conservatives). That's a big ask. It's been done, and its certainly a more realistic target but its still a big ask.
    I have been saying this for ages, Starmer has a mountain to climb, clawing some seats back in Scotland could be crucial, even then I wouldn't be backing a Labour overall majority
    I'm genuinely puzzled why Starmer seems to be going out of his way to alienate progressives (for want of a better word) who could make the difference in so many marginals.

The kerfuffle about PR this week was one example. Starmer's spokesman didn't need to say he has "a long-standing view against proportional representation" - literally no one is going to switch their vote from Con to Lab because Starmer is strongly against PR. Just a non-commital "we have a lot of work to do recovering from 15 years of Tory rule and the voting system isn't an immediate priority" would have been fine. But no, he has to take the small-C conservative line. It happens every time.

As it stands I'm going to be in a Lab/Con stretch marginal after the boundary changes. As such, I should be a target voter for Labour. Right now I'm planning to waste my vote on the LibDems.
    Yes. Exactly that. Because my interests are better served by a Lab+LibDem coalition than a Lab majority.

If Starmer doesn't like that sort of tactical voting, he could, I dunno... endorse PR?
    But in your seat it's a straight Lab-Tory fight, so actually you are enhancing your chances of getting a Tory MP – hardly a 'tactical' vote, rather the opposite in fact. Duh!

Right now it looks like there are two plausible outcomes: a Lab majority, or a Lab+others coalition.

A Lab majority, according to Starmer, means continued hard Brexit, no chance of PR, and so on.

Therefore I will be casting my vote (a) to maximise the chance of a coalition (shit, four syllables, sorry) and (b) so that I don't feel dirty after putting my cross in the box.
    You are casting your vote to increase Tory representation in the House of Commons, and thus increase their chances of retaining power.

Yes, I get it. I understand how FPP works.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

1) Yes
    2) No

If 1 go to A.

If 2 go to B.

A.) You are a Christian

Only belief in the Trinity of God the Father, God the Son and the Holy Spirit makes you a Christian
    Where do Unitarians fit in to that?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Not really, a better comparison would be someone who goes to all Nottingham Forest home matches but just doesn't support the team
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,929
    Leon said:

SandraMc said:

Leon said:

SandraMc said:

Both amazing, aye

Which are the worst?

It is a very similar design and age to St Elisabeths church in Eastbourne, which was finally demolished a couple of years ago after 20 years spent trying to find a solution to the site.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

1) Yes
    2) No

If 1 go to A.

If 2 go to B.

A.) You are a Christian

Fair enough – an important clarification. I would agree.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

1) Yes
    2) No

If 1 go to A.

If 2 go to B.

A.) You are a Christian

Not really Christian as they don't believe in the Trinity
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,452
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

1) Yes
    2) No

If 1 go to A.

If 2 go to B.

A.) You are a Christian

Perhaps a Unitarian would say that you're not really a Christian because you do?
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,929
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Carlisle 53.3%
    Doncaster 50.9%
    Wrexham 49.5%
    Gloucester 47.7%
    Peterborough 46.3%
    Worcester 48.9%
    Stoke 45.8%
    Coventry 43.9%
    Leeds 42.3%
    London 41.7%
    Newcastle 41.3%
    Swansea 41.3%
    Derby 40.2%
    Southampton 40.1%
    Hull 39.9%
    Sheffield 38.5%
    Cardiff 38.3%
    Oxford 38.1%
    Manchester 36.2%
    Cambridge 35.2%
    Nottingham 34.7%
    Birmingham 34.0%
    Norwich 33.6%
    Bradford 33.4%
    Bristol 32.2%
    Brighton & Hove 30.9%
    Leicester 24.7%

Yes; Brighton is the city of godless green gays; not much room for Christians there.
    Nor Tories in Brighton either now, two Parliamentary seats in the city Labour, the other Green
    Yes, I'm in Brighton Kemptown, a Tory seat as recently as 2015. The Tories have disappeared completely, even though Lloyd Russell-Moyle is the MP. We've had no communication from Tories for the local elections.
    Conservative support in Brighton & Hove in 2019 was actually lower than in 1997. It's England's equivalent of San Francisco, politically.
    Brighton is more diverse than it is often perceived, there are still large suburbs full of older people.
    There is still a respectable number of conservative councillors.

https://democracy.brighton-hove.gov.uk/mgMemberIndex.aspx?bcr=1
  • Options
    boulay said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

SandraMc said:

Both amazing, aye

Which are the worst?

To be fair the “hideous Catholic jobs” wouldn’t need to exist if the beautiful Catholic built and designed ones hadn’t been stolen from them.
    I'm sure if they knew the horrible 20th century architecture their bishops would have to put up with 500 years later they would have been more clement in granting Henry VIII a divorce.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,805
    What is 'beauty' in a church or cathedral?

In fact, what is 'beauty' in any building or structure?

Is it proportion, fitting into location, form, materials?

As an example, I am not a fan of concrete as a 'beautiful' material. But I'd strongly argue that the Kylesku Bridge in the northwest of Scotland isn't a stunning addition to the landscape. Or, to a slightly lesser extent, the Glenfinnan Viaduct.

The Skye Bridge, on the other hand, whilst useful, is just fugly.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

1) Yes
    2) No

If 1 go to A.

If 2 go to B.

A.) You are a Christian

I think the 'No true Scotsman' fallacy applies.
  • Options
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

1) Yes
    2) No

If 1 go to A.

If 2 go to B.

A.) You are a Christian

Perhaps a Unitarian would say that you're not really a Christian because you do?
    I would gently suggest the matter is between the individual and their God, and not for anyone to decide someone's else's beliefs
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,382
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

1) Yes
    2) No

If 1 go to A.

If 2 go to B.

A.) You are a Christian

Plenty of Christians don't believe in any god, just as with other religions. It's weirdly fanatic, or just ignorant, to claim otherwise.
  • Options

mickydroy said:

I couldn't agree more.

Call it what you want.

You are casting your vote to increase Tory representation in the House of Commons, and thus increase their chances of retaining power.

So do we, and we object to it.
  • Options

What is 'beauty' in a church or cathedral?

In fact, what is 'beauty' in any building or structure?

Is it proportion, fitting into location, form, materials?

As an example, I am not a fan of concrete as a 'beautiful' material. But I'd strongly argue that the Kylesku Bridge in the northwest of Scotland isn't a stunning addition to the landscape. Or, to a slightly lesser extent, the Glenfinnan Viaduct.

The Skye Bridge, on the other hand, whilst useful, is just fugly.

I think the Humber Bridge is stunningly beautiful, especially in early morning mist. Notorious white elephant though, commissioned to help Labour win a by-election.
  • Options

Which pay offer?
  • Options
    A cool list of the world’s ugliest cathedrals

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/ugliest-cathedrals-in-the-world

Generally quite a lot of hate for Guildford, and Liverpool Catholic cathedral (which is unfair, i reckon it’s OK)

And this is a very good contender for THE ugliest cathedral on earth. Rio

• Options
    edited April 2023
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

1) Yes
    2) No

If 1 go to A.

If 2 go to B.

A.) You are a Christian

Unitarians are closer to Muslims than Christians. They believe in God and see Jesus as Prophet and Messiah but unlike Christians don't believe Jesus is also God and in the Trinity
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,882
    malcolmg said:

Selebian said:

malcolmg said:

Ghedebrav said:

Platinum Jubilee numbers were:

8.7 million watched the trooping of the colour
    13.4 million watched Party at the Palace
    16.75 million took part in a community event

So about one in four of the population.

It's a plurality because they were the most popular/watched TV shows at the time, and more people were celebrating than doing any other one activity - even if not an absolute majority of the population. Many more caught highlights later. There would also have been school and other institutional celebrations as well, as well as private ones that did not show up in the figures. All in all I suspect a third of the population did something.

I expect viewing numbers for the Coronation to be similar and about 10 million+ to watch it live, and a higher number on highlights later.

That’d be my guess too. Lots will probably just put it on in the background or whatever. Plenty of people who are not football fans still put the World Cup on. Similarly a lot of folk generally disinterested in royalty may well just flick it on out of a sense of curiosity or it’s-a-historic-event sort of thing.

Whatever the actual viewing figures, I’m sure there’ll be plenty for all sides to interpret in whichever way fits their pre-existing views :)
    The only thing I did for the world cup was flip on the last 30 minutes of the Final, when England were in it.

I otherwise never touch, watch or read about football and simply ignore anyone who does.
    I will not watch 1 second of the parasite crowning.
    Morning Malc. You will have your union flag bunting out though, right? :wink:
    It is ablaze as we speak.
    Great. Should be well out by the coronation then :smiley:
  • Options

Which pay offer?
    The same offer Unison accepted
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,864

mickydroy said:

I couldn't agree more.

Call it what you want.

Maybe Labour should improve their offer rather than trying to rely solely on "We're your only alternative."
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202

Which pay offer?
    The same offer Unison accepted
    which ones are the mugs?
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,155

mickydroy said:

I couldn't agree more.

Call it what you want.

Labour: "If you don't vote for us, you're a Tory."

Right, ok, that's a sucky system. We should change it.

Labour: "We will not countenance changing the system."

Sigh.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Generally quite a lot of hate for Guildford, and Liverpool Catholic cathedral (which is unfair, i reckon it’s OK)

I quite like that actually.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

SandraMc said:

Leon said:

SandraMc said:

Both amazing, aye

Which are the worst?

Ooh, Coventry Cathedral of course - I forgot about that. A special case because there's still the shell of something beautiful: left there, no doubt, to show you what we had once and turned out back on. (It's quite a shock when you go to the continent and see all the buildings that were destroyed in the war then painstakingly recreated rather than discarded for the brave new world of the 50s and 60s.)
    At least Coventry is interesting, and bold. Guildford is neither
  • Options
    boulay said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

SandraMc said:

Both amazing, aye

Which are the worst?

Brentwood Roman Catholic cathedral is quite pleasing on the eye, in a neoclassical style

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brentwood_Cathedral
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,575
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

SandraMc said:

Both amazing, aye

Which are the worst?

I don't mind Paddy's Wigwam, actually. It is what it is. I'm fond of Westminster Cathedral too.

Bit harsh to knock Manchester (and Bradford too) for their cathedrals; Manchester's is actually subtly quite lovely, though St Ann's church is nicer still. And let's not forget that York Minster took longer to build than the time Manchester has actually been a city of any note.

Ely is uniquely spectacular because of it's location in the fens; like stumbling on a cruise liner in a millpond. But my fave is probably Lincoln.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

1) Yes
    2) No

If 1 go to A.

If 2 go to B.

A.) You are a Christian

It would be interesting to know whether HYUFD thinks there were any Christians before the doctrine of the Trinity was developed in the late second century!

Maybe the idea is that Jesus was just too modest to mention it.
  • Options
    Taz said:
    Yep. The EU would be doing a bit better if the UK was still in it. Just like the UK would be doing better if it was still in the EU.
  • Options

mickydroy said:

I couldn't agree more.

Call it what you want.

Sigh.
    Anabobazina can see a Lab Majority slipping away as the Polls narrow and rather than blame the person responsible seeks to blame everyone else

Boring!!
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,819

HYUFD said:

What if you believe in the Christian God AND you also believe in the Muslim God, and you happen to think they are really one and the same? Many, I presume most, other Christians would say you are not a Christian. Are you a Christian?

There is, of course, no right answer. Religions are not neatly defined things. Any religion followed by more than a handful of people shows a range of beliefs and practices. Religions are diverse, even if their followers sometimes insist otherwise.
  • Options
    Chris said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

1) Yes
    2) No

If 1 go to A.

If 2 go to B.

A.) You are a Christian

It would be interesting to know whether HYUFD thinks there were any Christians before the doctrine of the Trinity was developed in the late second century!

Well as Jesus is and was God by definition if you followed him you were a Christian. Jews didn't believe Jesus was a Messiah or God and Muhammad hadn't yet arrived on the scene
  • Options

Leon said:

It looks like a boldly designed Nazi gas chamber
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

SandraMc said:

Both amazing, aye

Which are the worst?

I don't mind Paddy's Wigwam, actually. It is what it is. I'm fond of Westminster Cathedral too.

Bit harsh to knock Manchester (and Bradford too) for their cathedrals; Manchester's is actually subtly quite lovely, though St Ann's church is nicer still. And let's not forget that York Minster took longer to build than the time Manchester has actually been a city of any note.

Ely is uniquely spectacular because of it's location in the fens; like stumbling on a cruise liner in a millpond. But my fave is probably Lincoln.
    Yes, Westminster Cathedral is one of the best mosques in the country.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,765
    Leon said:

Works better if you think of each of these apertures filled with the decapitated heads of your human sacrifices (yes, I know Rio is further south than the more excessive South American civilisations, but still..).
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

1) Yes
    2) No

If 1 go to A.

If 2 go to B.

A.) You are a Christian

Well as Jesus is and was God by definition if you followed him you were a Christian.
    Do you ever think before you write?

Do you remember saying a short time ago that someone who doesn't believe in the Trinity isn't "really" a Christian?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

What if you believe in the Christian God AND you also believe in the Muslim God, and you happen to think they are really one and the same? Many, I presume most, other Christians would say you are not a Christian. Are you a Christian?

There is, of course, no right answer. Religions are not neatly defined things. Any religion followed by more than a handful of people shows a range of beliefs and practices. Religions are diverse, even if their followers sometimes insist otherwise.
    It's not up to anyone else is it? Really surprised at the enthusiasm for takfir around here.
  • Options
    @RachelReevesMP
    ·
    1h
    After 13 years of the Tories, people are asking themselves - am I any better off?

The answer is a resounding no.

I think After 13 years of the Tories, people are asking themselves - am I going to be any better off under SKS/Reeves Labour?

• Options

Leon said:

Works better if you think of each of these apertures filled with the decapitated heads of your human sacrifices (yes, I know Rio is further south than the more excessive South American civilisations, but still..).
    Apparently that was the inspiration. Mesoamerican pyramids. Pagan sites of brutal human sacrifice

Tho if you’ve been to Palenque or Chichen Itza or Teotihuacan they are a lot nicer than THAT
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,446

HYUFD said:

I thought the Christian God and the Islamic God were the same? Basically just the Jewish God.
    Personally I am an Atheist but a cultural Christian. I'm a real sucker for a good Christmas carol.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,927
    kjh said:

I'm visiting my old University today. I'm about to have a beer in the Union. The last time was almost exactly 50 years ago.

I got a student discount. Isn't that sweet. I'm more used to getting a pensioners discount these days.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,377
    Leon said:

Surprised Clifton Cathedral didn't get a look in on that list.

I honestly don't mind brutalism done right. But there is nothing right about Clifton Cathedral, a building that resembles a dystopian out-of-town shopping centre that belongs in A Clockwork Orange.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,446
    Oh and Ed Balls to all believers in His sacred Day.
  • Options

@RachelReevesMP
    ·
    1h
    After 13 years of the Tories, people are asking themselves - am I any better off?

I think After 13 years of the Tories, people are asking themselves - am I going to be any better off under SKS/Reeves Labour?

That's brutally self-aware from Reeves, isn't it? :wink:
  • Options

Ed Balls to you. too.
  • Options
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

1) Yes
    2) No

If 1 go to A.

If 2 go to B.

A.) You are a Christian

Well as Jesus is and was God by definition if you followed him you were a Christian.
    Do you ever think before you write?

Do you remember saying a short time ago that someone who doesn't believe in the Trinity isn't "really" a Christian?
    Yes and no early Christians rejected the fact Jesus was God
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Ed Balls to you. too.
    Huzzah.
  • Options
    E coli levels in Suffolk river in Thérèse Coffey constituency far above legal limits, data shows
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/apr/28/e-coli-levels-suffolk-river-therese-coffey-constituency-far-above-legal-limits-data-shows
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,177
    kamski said:

Taz said:
    Yep. The EU would be doing a bit better if the UK was still in it. Just like the UK would be doing better if it was still in the EU.
    So the EU's poor growth is down to Brexit. If only they had negotiated a sensible deal then
  • Options

As he gives out owls, does he meet the approval of @bigjohnowls ?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Apparently that was the inspiration. Mesoamerican pyramids. Pagan sites of brutal human sacrifice

Tho if you’ve been to Palenque or Chichen Itza or Teotihuacan they are a lot nicer than THAT
    It’s like a non pyramid shaped pyramid.
  • Options

@RachelReevesMP
    ·
    1h

Personally, I'm much, much better off than I was in 2010.
    The years 2010-2023 have, materially (and indeed in other ways) been far, far better for me than 1997-2010.

Of course, you can't generalise from one person. But my suburb and my city are both doing far better than they were in 2010.

(Granted, 2010 we were just coming out of the GFC. But If you're going to say that wasn't Labour's fault I would also say that Covid and Ukraine weren't the Tories' fault.)

• Options

Leon said:

Rio? Is that not Guildford?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,177

mickydroy said:

I couldn't agree more.

Call it what you want.

Sigh.
    Where is the demand to change the electoral system coming from ?

Vocal twitter accounts and so-called progressive alliance fanatics don't really make a mass movement or overwhelming demand.
  • Options
    Eva Green wins her case.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2023/apr/28/eva-green-wins-high-court-battle-over-collapse-of-sci-fi-film
    ...Her victory follows a case in which Green gave evidence, saying it was “humiliating” that private Whatsapp messages she had sent were revealed in court.
    Those messages included her comments about being “obliged to take [the producer’s] shitty peasant crew members from Hampshire” after the location was switched from Ireland. They also included her description of the production as a “B-shitty-movie” and the executive producer, Jake Seal, as “pure vomit,” a “devious sociopath” and “evil”...

The judge rightly stood up for the rights of potty mouths everywhere.
    ...“I take account of her evident emotional and forthright personality in explaining her more extreme comments about Mr Seal, whom she clearly detested even though she only met him once,”..
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,171

I hadn't realised that Ed Balls day co-incided my Nain's (Grandmother's) birthday.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

No. It’s like a place of worship rising out of an ancient landscape.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

It’s like a non pyramid shaped pyramid.
    ISTR watching a travel show and seeing that it's quite nice on the inside (cf Liverpool Catholic Cathedral).

Though not actually as nice as an actual York/Durham/Ely type cathedral. Just nice in a 'ooh, pleasant enough in here, not as horrible as the outside led us to believe' way.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

No. It’s like a place of worship rising out of an ancient landscape.
    Like the moles have got big and caught religion? :wink:

This one looks evil church dystopia to me, but I didn't mind some of the others in the article (including some of the others in Brazil and the one in NZ, which I imagine is pretty stunning inside)
  • Options
    Taz said:

mickydroy said:

I couldn't agree more.

Call it what you want.

Sigh.

Vocal twitter accounts and so-called progressive alliance fanatics don't really make a mass movement or overwhelming demand.
    Labour Party Conference last year voted overwhelmingly for it.

SKS doesnt do Party Democracy though

Or Socialism for that matter despite being leader of a Democratic Socialist Party
  • Options
    Taz said:

mickydroy said:

I couldn't agree more.

Call it what you want.

Sigh.

Biggest supporters of PR in order:

1 Liberal Democrats
    2 Nigel Farage and RefUK
    3 Caroline Lucas and the Green Party.

That does not a majority make
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Taz said:

mickydroy said:

I couldn't agree more.

Call it what you want.

Sigh.

Biggest supporters of PR in order:

1 Liberal Democrats
    2 Nigel Farage and RefUK
    3 Caroline Lucas and the Green Party.

That does not a majority make
    Parties supporting PR:
    All parties who would see their representation go up with PR.

Parties opposing PR:
    All parties who would see the representation go down with PR.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Taz said:

mickydroy said:

I couldn't agree more.

Call it what you want.

Sigh.

Quite a large proportion of the electorate favour it.

Here's the long term trend:
    https://bsa.natcen.ac.uk/media/39477/bsa39_constitutional-reform.pdf

And the last few years;
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/should-we-change-our-current-british-voting-system

It's the actually the fanatical defenders of FPTP who are the truly odd ones.

The answer to "where is it coming from " is perhaps the generally shitty nature of government we've endured under FPTP. But I speculate.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,503
    Nigelb said:

Eva Green wins her case.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2023/apr/28/eva-green-wins-high-court-battle-over-collapse-of-sci-fi-film
    ...Her victory follows a case in which Green gave evidence, saying it was “humiliating” that private Whatsapp messages she had sent were revealed in court.
    Those messages included her comments about being “obliged to take [the producer’s] shitty peasant crew members from Hampshire” after the location was switched from Ireland. They also included her description of the production as a “B-shitty-movie” and the executive producer, Jake Seal, as “pure vomit,” a “devious sociopath” and “evil”...

The judge rightly stood up for the rights of potty mouths everywhere.
    ...“I take account of her evident emotional and forthright personality in explaining her more extreme comments about Mr Seal, whom she clearly detested even though she only met him once,”..

Although he did temper this with "She said it was ‘humiliating’ but some of her explanations for the language she used and the feelings she expressed – such as they were down to her ‘Frenchness’ – were not credible or adequate."

I would have allowed her the frenchness defence.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,957
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

Actually people are forgetting just how far behind the Conservatives start from, as of today.
    But they don't, do they?

They start from 160 seats ahead.

Polls are not where elections start from in this country.
    If there is an election today Labour will.win a majority of about 150 seats. Elections are a zero sum exercises. If Labour get some more votes than the Conservatives, they will get some more seats; if they get more again votes., they will get a lot more seats. The seat distribution last time is irrelevant.

It's.entirely possible Sunak will be able to reduce or even overturn the current Labour advantage. But the starting point, as of today, is a large Labour majority verging on a landslide. That's simply a mechanic of the electoral system.
    They really will not. Elections are anything but zero sum games. Incumbency, resource spread, candidate quality, local factors, vote stickiness all play significant parts in the outcome. It is much harder to take a seat than to hold it, and it takes a lot of effort.

Even in 1945, which comes closest, the Conservatives were able to keep Labour's majority to 146. In 1997, Labour won a majority of 179. A similar swing today would see them win a majority of exactly one.

And polls are not starting points. They are indicators.

Focus on the swings required, and use the polls as a guide to where they will lead.
    And polls are not starting points. They are indicators.

Exactly. They are point in time indicators. Currently indicating a very substantial majority for Labour. Sunak could change that, and predictions turn on how successful he will be in doing that. But he has to do the work. Hence my original.remark.
    But your original remark assumes a clean slate every time. Which is simply not the case.

I'm starting to feel a thread header coming on although with the amount of work I've got right now goodness only knows when I would have time to write it.
    Actually it is more or less a clean sheet every time because competitive first past the post elections make it so. But definitely interested in your header if you have the time to write it. I may realise I got it wrong!
    Yes, my view is that where you were last time is largely irrelevant nowadays. Loyalty to a party is a thing of the past. And also, the landscape has changed. No Corbyn, no Boris. The fact that a given voter preferred Boris to Corbyn last time implies almost nothing for their views on Rish v SKS (though I'd suggest if we know what that voter thought about Cameron v EdM we might get a better idea).
    Approx 1 in 3 people who vote in a British general election vote differently to the previous one*. Volatile.

* Source: Read it the other day somewhere.
    And from your source, have you any idea how that has changed over time? My guess is that it is rather higher than it was 20 years ago and much higher than it was 40 years ago. But you're the man with the source.
    Yep - higher now.
  • Options
    edited April 2023

Leon said:

Rio? Is that not Guildford?
    I didn't know the local elections in Guildford this year were that vicious? I mean I know the wars over LD bar charts and Tory local plans are tough but human sacrifice is a little excessive
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 16,127
    Leon said:

The interior looks amazing with a honeycomb of stained glass. At least it's not bland, which is the issue.with Coventry cathedral IMV
This discussion has been closed.