Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Have we seen peak SNP? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,184
    edited April 2023

MattW said:

Morning all.

The end-of-Smart-Motorways thing is interesting. What next? The future is not in widening motorways. I might suggest narrowing lanes and reducing speed limits in such sections to 50mph - for everyone except Andy Burnham, who will be driving along at 70 with his head in the clouds.

The one thing I'll guarantee is that this Government won't do any more than kick it down the road, and won't take responsibility for implementing a long-term solution, any more than they are willing to take responsibility for addressing anything else to do with road safety.

The last serious "Smart Motorway" death-collision I have seen here was where a broken down van was out of the running lane having been pulled up on the left, and a pensioner driving the LH white line rather than the centre of the lane, who admitted she did not see it, hit it and killed her own husband, and somebody else's husband. Here's the piccie:

We were never keen on Smart Motorways. A Motorway needs a hard shoulder for emergency services to use when getting to incidents, and it gives the public a little bit of safety if they have to stop.
    Here's a further pic of the van that the Ford Ka hit. I'm not really sure that it would be much safer on a hard shoulder.

• Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,839
    MattW said:

darkage said:

https://cornerstonebarristers.com/government-announces-draft-regulations-to-except-newly-procured-asylum-seeker-accommodation-from-hmo-licensing/

An interesting story for those of us who are interested in the proliferation of regulation on housing.
    Housing for asylum seekers is to be exempt from HMO standards and licensing.
    I suppose it creates a lot of opportunities for low end slumlords?

I'd say it will be corporates, and those converting office buildings under Permitted Development - especially the latter.

The PRS has been shrunk under the Osborne cosh, and especially in Scotland, and there is little or no need for ordinary LLs to take on the increased risks.
    I think the permitted development game is probably becoming of less interest for new development, now that the space standards and natural light etc tests have been added.
    I suspect that some of the buildings that have been converted under PD over the past decade are at risk of another grenfell like scandal,the conditions are truly appauling...

https://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/id/eprint/10159232/1/healthy homes TCP article.pdf
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,237
    MattW said:

Pagan2 said:

MattW said:

Morning all.

The end-of-Smart-Motorways thing is interesting. What next? The future is not in widening motorways. I think there is space for a hard shoulder by narrowing lanes and reducing speed limits in such sections to 50mph - for everyone except Andy Burnham, who will be driving along at 70 with his head in the clouds.

HS2 opens and the extra capacity results in less freight and cars on the crowded motorway network, making the case for extending HS2 north and east?
    I will believe that when I see it frankly only 4.8% of freight is currently moved by rail and I don't see it changing. Bulk freight like coal made sense to move by rail but we don't do that much of that type of freight anymore. I also don't see many moving from car to rail due to it because frankly going by car is mostly cheaper and more convenient for most.
    I'd certainly agree it would be one to make happen, rather than inevitably to develop under prevailing conditions - as for the changes to active travel we are seeing in some places.

We have seen passenger rail journeys more than double since privatisation, which is a huge increase for rail but relatively small overall, so these changes can happen. I'd be inclined to aim for a similar increase in freight, and policies to support it.

I have a couple of other bees in my bonnet - one is metropolitan area networks which have been a success where built, and another is the exclusion of huge chunks of our community from almost all public footpaths which is a scandal, but perhaps it's one to develop in a header !
    The problem with moving fright by rail is that most modern freight capacity required is more specific - not 10,000 tons of coal every x days to power station y from port/mine z.
  • Options
    On Smart Motorways, they actually do work. A marked hard shoulder, regular overhead signs and cameras, and regular refuges. Staff in the control centre switch traffic in and out of the hard shoulder as traffic builds, and can close it if there is a stranded vehicle. Closed to traffic the hard shoulder remains a hard shoulder.

The problem is that thanks to austerity, we have built a lot of dumb motorways. West Yorkshire as an example of both. The M62 near the M1 was made smart. Switchable hard shoulder. The M1 was made dumb - hard shoulder becomes a normal lane. Minimal camera coverage, minimal signage.

If the Tories hadn't scrimped on the budget, we wouldn't have had these deaths. Even now the concept can be saved. Install a load of cameras and signs. Paint the hard shoulder back in. Have it so that we can drive in it when its busy, and can't when someone has broken down.

Also worth noting the various motorway roads which have been marked up as A-roads. Same legal status as a motorway, same restrictions. But no hard shoulder. Sections of the A90 and the A14 built in the last 5 years as recent examples.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 32,358

Interesting a representative of comparethemarket has just said between 90,000 and 100,000 new applications a month are being received by for health insurance

Which should be regarded as a good thing by all those who want more spending on health services.
    If it moves us a little closer to a US style system it's plainly a very Bad thing.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,045

On Smart Motorways, they actually do work. A marked hard shoulder, regular overhead signs and cameras, and regular refuges. Staff in the control centre switch traffic in and out of the hard shoulder as traffic builds, and can close it if there is a stranded vehicle. Closed to traffic the hard shoulder remains a hard shoulder.

They could, but at least round here, they don’t. They just open and shut them randomly and assign arbitrary speed limits while flashing up ‘report of obstruction’ based on fat finger selection on IPhone Maps.

The people running smart motorways in the West Midlands make Spielman look competent.
  • Options

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

I do think that the £1m of short money is being somewhat overstated. My expectation at the worst it would be paused until the audit was complete and then very probably backdated providing the audit is satisfactory.

What is bizarre about the SNP finances is that they were being spent so recklessly. Why buy a £110k motorhome/battlebus when you can lease it? Given it cost nearly half the cash they had available it is pretty inexplicable unless there were other motives and, indeed, other funds.

Yes, it seems a poor investment even if it was used. Since it wasn't and wasn't going to be, why wasn't it gotten rid of?

At best Murrell seems to have been incompetent with the party's finances, and resistant to providing details to the elected representatives of the party, aided by Sturgeon who I note in the clip talks about the strong finances in the context of their membership - I wonder if she and he knew of the membership details at that time,and if the numbers were indeed still where they were claiming at that point.

I do also love the bit in the video which is essentially saying if people leak then it prevents free and open discussion of ideas, in a clip whose intent seems to be to tell them to stop discussing certain matters at all.
    I think one of the important lessons to draw from the SNP's experience is that the reason for having openness, and procedures, and auditors, etc, is that they work, while putting your trust solely in individuals does not.
    I've had the need for an audit trail drilled into me - have it in writing so that if the shit hits the fan you are covered.

A client I did some work for had a major criminal issue with one of their team elsewhere, and suddenly they wanted copies of *everything*.

I was able to email them the links to the directory on the shared drive where I already had uploaded copies of every agreement and contract, plus the email authorisations from the client where necessary. Nothing to hide, everything on show.

Of course you can only do that if there is nothing to hide.
    A relative who runs a building business had the Revenue demand *all* the paperwork.

He sent them links (as you did) to a digitised archive of everything down to individual receipts for a packet of screws, for the last decade. All organised and connected to the accounts, tax etc. The very model of transparency and organisation.

A week later he got a reply - claiming they needed to see paper copies. He replied where the paper copies were located, and asked when they would be round to pick them up. He never received any further communication.

He eventually managed to get a reply that the matter was closed…
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,964

FF43 said:

Nigelb said:

Well it certainly did so for me.

Poll reveals Sunak attack ad damaged Labour’s image among voters
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/apr/16/labour-rishi-sunak-attack-ad
    Labour’s controversial “attack ad” accusing Rishi Sunak of failing to put paedophiles in prison has caused more voters to think negatively of Keir Starmer’s party than a Conservative poster that accused the Labour leader of being soft on crime, according to an Opinium poll for the Observer...

I'm not against attack ads per se, but they need to capture an essential truth (or something recognised as such), rather than just smear.

Moral of the story: never attack an opponent on their attitude to paedophiles. Simple rule. Starmer should have someone to tell him, "No" for this kind of thing.
    While I agree with you and didn't like the attack ad on Sunak, a friend gave a different view. He'd been out canvassing for Labour on a local council estate, and reported that the ad had gone down really well. I wonder if the middle-class sensibilities that most posters on here have about what is 'bad taste' are not necessarily shared across the social spectrum.
    I think Starmer attacking the Conservatives on crime in general is fair game. They are doing the same to him, without a lot of success so far. There are two questions here: do the attacks hit home, and what do they say about you? On that poster, Starmer is providing material for his opposition on the second point.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,723

HYUFD said:

The people attacking those Labour ads consistently refuse to accept that this was their retaliation against the Tories own smears - which obviously were starting to work.

"Eugh that Labour ad is racist" makes it sound like the Tories haven't already weaponised racism and are using it as a lodestone to attract the dumbest voters.

I don't like the Labour ads. But to suggest they have lowered the bar is to ignore that the Tories buried the bar under the gutter already. Its going to be a horrible election campaign, pandering to the very stupidest voters.

"The Tories are racist" trope just makes the person saying it look 20 years out of date. Because, clearly, unless you are a white member of the Church of England, you stand no chance of advancement in the Conservative Party.

Grow up.
    The Braverman "Pakistani men are paedo" attack is explicitly racist. At least that's what senior Tories are telling the newspapers.

Grow up? Is it adult to sweep explicit racism under the carpet? Braverman briefed the press that she had reprimanded Essicksinnit police for the Grays Golliwog raid. The Home Office apologise to the police, who say no such thing happened.

So Braverman the racist put out an untrue story. Why? To pander to more racists who don't think there is anything wrong with a pub where the landlord posts racist stuff on Facebook and has a bar full of Golliwogs.

Not all Tories are racist. Most aren't. But a few are - and some of their voters are. Demonstrably so. Calling it out is not childish.
    Actually now with the Tories led by Rishi the most racist voters are either voting RefUK or not voting at all
    Hence the desperate gaslighting by the racist security risk Home Secretary to try and win them back.

Golliwogs. Your party is desperate to win votes of people who like Golliwogs.
    Possibly more accurately, people who pretend to like golliwogs so they can signal their racism while pretending to be the ones persecuted..

It's a really bizarre one to choose. Golliwogs are racist, just as cartoons of Jewish people with thick lips and long noses are anti-Semitic.

If course they are - but there was a time (late fifties/early sixties) when they genuinely weren’t generally perceived as such.
    Displaying them know is a way of saying you think all this stuff about racism is just ridiculous political correctness. Of wokeness, as is now popular.

It’s a faint echo of those in the US who insist the Civil War was entirely over states’ rights.
  • Options
    MattW said:

MattW said:

Morning all.

The end-of-Smart-Motorways thing is interesting. What next? The future is not in widening motorways. I might suggest narrowing lanes and reducing speed limits in such sections to 50mph - for everyone except Andy Burnham, who will be driving along at 70 with his head in the clouds.

The one thing I'll guarantee is that this Government won't do any more than kick it down the road, and won't take responsibility for implementing a long-term solution, any more than they are willing to take responsibility for addressing anything else to do with road safety.

The last serious "Smart Motorway" death-collision I have seen here was where a broken down van was out of the running lane having been pulled up on the left, and a pensioner driving the LH white line rather than the centre of the lane, who admitted she did not see it, hit it and killed her own husband, and somebody else's husband. Here's the piccie:

We were never keen on Smart Motorways. A Motorway needs a hard shoulder for emergency services to use when getting to incidents, and it gives the public a little bit of safety if they have to stop.
    Here's a further pic of the van that the Ford Ka hit. I'm not really sure that it would be much safer on a hard shoulder.

I wonder how much the U-turn is motivated by saving money in the short term ?
    After all they are still going ahead with introducing it for the latest bits to have been constructed; they’re just halting new construction.
  • Options

The problem is that thanks to austerity, we have built a lot of dumb motorways. West Yorkshire as an example of both. The M62 near the M1 was made smart. Switchable hard shoulder. The M1 was made dumb - hard shoulder becomes a normal lane. Minimal camera coverage, minimal signage.

If the Tories hadn't scrimped on the budget, we wouldn't have had these deaths. Even now the concept can be saved. Install a load of cameras and signs. Paint the hard shoulder back in. Have it so that we can drive in it when its busy, and can't when someone has broken down.

Also worth noting the various motorway roads which have been marked up as A-roads. Same legal status as a motorway, same restrictions. But no hard shoulder. Sections of the A90 and the A14 built in the last 5 years as recent examples.

As just noted, it’s largely about the money.
    (Which, to be fair, has to enter into any calculation of policy benefits.)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,326
    kle4 said:

"unexpected legal costs"* - you really didn't need a crystal ball to make provision for these, when your own oversight committee resigned because they weren't allowed to see the books.

Two years ago.

Or your auditors resigned and weren't replaced for six months, leaving you in deep shit with the Electoral Commission.

The SNP were never straight with the voters of Scotland about the risks associated with independence. Why should we be surprised if they are institutionally corrupt? Questions weren't answered. They were drowned out with vituperation. This was standard operating procedure from both the party itself and its Freedom warriors.

If it is the end of the SNP as a political force, they will no doubt reform under some rock somewhere - but hopefully spending most of their timed locked in frenzied recriminations about who killed independence for decades. (Spoiler, guys: it wasn't MI5's camper van...)

Scotland undoubtedly dodged a bullet in 2014. Imagine the grift if the SNP had the full national budget to treat as its own plaything...

(*Question though: Is the SNP meeting Murrell's legal costs? If so - why?)

The Herald reports the party are not meeting his legal costs.

Which makes sense - Even though the party has not always been truthful (as shown by his resignation for approving lies for a start) it can probably be accepted as true given he had to loan the party 100k from his own pocket. He's obviously in a better financial state than the party.
    Which in itself leads to a number of questions....
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Bizarre SNP story du jour

Apparently Nippy has been pictured recently without her wedding ring.

Not because she is about to dump PM, but cos the rozzers have it (allegedly) !

I found out recently where her nickname of Gnasher comes from - not for repeating on such a family friendly website...
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,397

Interesting a representative of comparethemarket has just said between 90,000 and 100,000 new applications a month are being received by for health insurance

Which should be regarded as a good thing by all those who want more spending on health services.
    Until they try to claim, as there is a whole industry of profit to be had in refusing cover. See Dr Glaukomfleken:

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMYnwTpkP/

Probably most people would be better off saving the premium into an ISA and using that to self fund on an as needed basis.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686
    Nigelb said:

RP would rather fund this motorway boondoggle than fund the NHS, that's fine but he's not in tune with voters. He may be a Lib Dem these days but ultimately he's still Labour at heart, there's nothing in the country that a few extra billion in borrowing or tax rises can't solve. That we probably shouldn't be doing these things in the first place doesn't even enter his brain.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Morning all.

After all they are still going ahead with introducing it for the latest bits to have been constructed; they’re just halting new construction.
    I don't know.

I have reached the bottom of the well of cynicism with the current Govt.

I'm highly amused by how much "infrastructure" ie separate hard shoulder rather than say improved quality of driving is the immediate answer here, yet as soon as it is suggested as something for people on foot or on cycles the thicker end of the motor vehicle lobby crawls out from under its stone and demands that the solution is people walking and cycling to protect themselves, and wearing hi-viz vests.

:smile:
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,325
    edited April 2023
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

The people attacking those Labour ads consistently refuse to accept that this was their retaliation against the Tories own smears - which obviously were starting to work.

"Eugh that Labour ad is racist" makes it sound like the Tories haven't already weaponised racism and are using it as a lodestone to attract the dumbest voters.

I don't like the Labour ads. But to suggest they have lowered the bar is to ignore that the Tories buried the bar under the gutter already. Its going to be a horrible election campaign, pandering to the very stupidest voters.

"The Tories are racist" trope just makes the person saying it look 20 years out of date. Because, clearly, unless you are a white member of the Church of England, you stand no chance of advancement in the Conservative Party.

Grow up.
    The Braverman "Pakistani men are paedo" attack is explicitly racist. At least that's what senior Tories are telling the newspapers.

Grow up? Is it adult to sweep explicit racism under the carpet? Braverman briefed the press that she had reprimanded Essicksinnit police for the Grays Golliwog raid. The Home Office apologise to the police, who say no such thing happened.

So Braverman the racist put out an untrue story. Why? To pander to more racists who don't think there is anything wrong with a pub where the landlord posts racist stuff on Facebook and has a bar full of Golliwogs.

Not all Tories are racist. Most aren't. But a few are - and some of their voters are. Demonstrably so. Calling it out is not childish.
    Actually now with the Tories led by Rishi the most racist voters are either voting RefUK or not voting at all
    Hence the desperate gaslighting by the racist security risk Home Secretary to try and win them back.

Possibly more accurately, people who pretend to like golliwogs so they can signal their racism while pretending to be the ones persecuted..

It's a really bizarre one to choose. Golliwogs are racist, just as cartoons of Jewish people with thick lips and long noses are anti-Semitic.

If course they are - but there was a time (late fifties/early sixties) when they genuinely weren’t generally perceived as such.
    Displaying them know is a way of saying you think all this stuff about racism is just ridiculous political correctness. Of wokeness, as is now popular.

It’s a faint echo of those in the US who insist the Civil War was entirely over states’ rights.
    I'm sure there was a Robertson's jam Golliwog footballers collection in the mid-seventies.
    Edit.
    Was dropped from their packaging as late as 2001.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,462
    dixiedean said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Grow up.

I'm sure there was a Robertson's jam Golliwog footballers collection in the mid-seventies.
    Didn't Noddy in Toytown on ITV have a golliwog character?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,646
    Foxy said:

Until they try to claim, as there is a whole industry of profit to be had in refusing cover. See Dr Glaukomfleken:

Probably most people would be better off saving the premium into an ISA and using that to self fund on an as needed basis.
    That's right. In fact insurance generally is a bad trade for the customer - since by definition the premiums must exceed the payouts.

Unless it's truly compulsory you should only do it in 2 situations: Where the risk if it crystallizes would break you financially. Where your own assessment of the risk crystallizing is higher than that of the insurance company.

Much of it is sold on spurious 'peace of mind' or 'being sensible' grounds or by making out it's compulsory when it isn't.

I follow my own advice on this. I have 3rd party motor, buildings, and that's it.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Morning all.

I don't know.

I'm highly amused by how much "infrastructure" ie separate hard shoulder rather than say improved quality of driving is the immediate answer here, yet as soon as it is suggested as something for people on foot or on cycles the thicker end of the motor vehicle lobby crawls out from under its stone and demands that the solution is people walking and cycling to protect themselves, and wearing hi-viz vests.

Part of the problem is that Roads Are Evul has become baked into the discourse. The increasing population and economic activity means that the existing roads get ever more loaded.

So, to a certain kind of fool, turning the hard shoulder into a running lane becomes a way round the issue.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,029
    dixiedean said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Grow up.

As a child in the sixties you collected tokens from Robertson's Jam to mail off for a golliwog pin - there was absolutely no connection in my mind with it representing black people.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,264
    Foxy said:

Well that's what I've done based on your previous advice.

But ultimately the health insurers have to pay out enough times to keep public confidence and ensure the money coming in year after year.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

I found out recently where her nickname of Gnasher comes from - not for repeating on such a family friendly website...
    Nippy's nickname is Gnasher? So what's Gnasher's nickname?
  • Options
    The SNP have learned from the Met. “Nothing to do with us, doesn’t work here anymore, move along, nothing to see”

SNP ditch investigation into notorious sex pest as he’s now quit the party

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/snp-ditch-investigation-notorious-sex-29719375?int_source=nba
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

That's right. In fact insurance generally is a bad trade for the customer - since by definition the premiums must exceed the payouts.

Unless it's truly compulsory you should only do it in 2 situations: Where the risk if it crystallizes would break you financially. Where your own assessment of the risk crystallizing is higher than that of the insurance company.

Much of it is sold on spurious 'peace of mind' or 'being sensible' grounds or by making out it's compulsory when it isn't.

I follow my own advice on this. I have 3rd party motor, buildings, and that's it.
    In a number of years of using UK medical insurance, not had a claim even questioned once.

The US situation doesn't apply here. Thankfully.

The vast majority are using it for non-gatekeeped access to consultants, as I am.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,325

dixiedean said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Grow up.

Dunno.
    But, (at the risk of sounding like Peter Kay).
    Who remembers blackjacks? The sweet had one on the wrapper till the eighties.
    So. Much, much more recent than fifties and sixties.
  • Options

The SNP have learned from the Met. “Nothing to do with us, doesn’t work here anymore, move along, nothing to see”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/snp-ditch-investigation-notorious-sex-29719375?int_source=nba

I thought the Alex Salmond case was finished ages ago?
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,199
    kle4 said:

FPT:

Good morning, everyone.

Football: Napoli only drew at home versus Verona. Would've got nice odds on that but the idea of backing it was never something I considered.

Netflix: I see they've decided to create a documentary about Cleopatra. And think that she was black.

Right... I mean, she was Macedonian (ultra-Macedonian thanks to the Ptolemy love of incest). But there we are.

Edited extra bit: the kicker is that even if she were Egyptian ethnically, that still isn't being black.

It's a strange one, as its one of those situations where a previous attempted fuss over alleged whitewashing in films seemed to peter out when people moaned about Gal Gadot being cast as Cleopatra.

www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-55409187.amp

It was just a weird pick to get worked up about accurate representation when even in the piece itself the best the moaners could do was "we dont know who her mum was so she might have been mixed race" and "reconstructions based on artefacts" might make her look mixed race.

The complaint was even more stupid as not only was it a moan that she 'might' not have been white, rather than that she definitely was not, but it said critics said an Arab or African should be cast. (I assume they meant arab or black, otherwise why specify the latter when there are arab Africans). How could they be mad about inaccurate representation when they couldn't state which would be accurate in the first place?
    They were really just annoyed that’ll an Israeli woman (Gal Gadot) was cast in the role

• Options

If it moves us a little closer to a US style system it's plainly a very Bad thing.
    How about moving us a little closer to European or Australian or South Korean style systems ?

There are other alternatives than the 'envy of the world' and the USA.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,058
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-65288590

"SNP says finances are balanced after crisis reports"

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,819

kle4 said:

FPT:

Good morning, everyone.

Football: Napoli only drew at home versus Verona. Would've got nice odds on that but the idea of backing it was never something I considered.

Netflix: I see they've decided to create a documentary about Cleopatra. And think that she was black.

Right... I mean, she was Macedonian (ultra-Macedonian thanks to the Ptolemy love of incest). But there we are.

Edited extra bit: the kicker is that even if she were Egyptian ethnically, that still isn't being black.

It's a strange one, as its one of those situations where a previous attempted fuss over alleged whitewashing in films seemed to peter out when people moaned about Gal Gadot being cast as Cleopatra.

It was just a weird pick to get worked up about accurate representation when even in the piece itself the best the moaners could do was "we dont know who her mum was so she might have been mixed race" and "reconstructions based on artefacts" might make her look mixed race.

The complaint was even more stupid as not only was it a moan that she 'might' not have been white, rather than that she definitely was not, but it said critics said an Arab or African should be cast. (I assume they meant arab or black, otherwise why specify the latter when there are arab Africans). How could they be mad about inaccurate representation when they couldn't state which would be accurate in the first place?
    They were really just annoyed that’ll an Israeli woman (Gal Gadot) was cast in the role

Sadly plausible, given the wafer thing justification even on the 'accuracy' merits.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,232
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Well it certainly did so for me.

Poll reveals Sunak attack ad damaged Labour’s image among voters
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/apr/16/labour-rishi-sunak-attack-ad
    Labour’s controversial “attack ad” accusing Rishi Sunak of failing to put paedophiles in prison has caused more voters to think negatively of Keir Starmer’s party than a Conservative poster that accused the Labour leader of being soft on crime, according to an Opinium poll for the Observer...

I'm not against attack ads per se, but they need to capture an essential truth (or something recognised as such), rather than just smear.

If it gets people thinking about the essential truth of Tory record on crime then that particular ad might have made people think more negatively of Keir whilst still helping Labour's chances later.
    That's not really how ads work, though.
    The emotional tends to trump the rational both in politics and advertising.

The idea of an attack campaign was probably sound. Its execution was botched.
    I think the Observer is being a bit disingenuous on the polling on the paedo ads; I would imagine this is a prompted response. I suspect actual recall of the ads is probably tiny, which is borne by the lack of shift in voting intention.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Fortunately the virus does not (yet) appear to be particularly infectious.

Equatorial Guinea: The case count is up to 38 confirmed & probable #Marburg cases; at least 89% are dead. Authorities don't know the identify/whereabouts/disease outcome of 1 case. (shudder)
    The most recent case tested positive on April 7. Not yet clear how s/he got infected...

https://mobile.twitter.com/HelenBranswell/status/1647319552575848448

Marburg has always been a nasty little sod. No need for bolding to scare people!

• Options
    edited April 2023

kle4 said:

FPT:

Good morning, everyone.

True.

But a mystery is why anyone would want to claim the utterly useless Cleopatra.

Who's great 'achievement' was in destroying Egypt's independence.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,999
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

RP would rather fund this motorway boondoggle than fund the NHS, that's fine but he's not in tune with voters. He may be a Lib Dem these days but ultimately he's still Labour at heart, there's nothing in the country that a few extra billion in borrowing or tax rises can't solve. That we probably shouldn't be doing these things in the first place doesn't even enter his brain.
    Don't think that argument works, Max.

As I understand it, the point of the Smart Motorways was to increase motorway capacity more cheaply than actually widening the motorways.

So is the government going to widen roads properly (cost ££££) or just leave the problem of congestion for some other poor bugger to solve in the future?

Pound to a penny says it'll be the second.
  • Options

Mr. kle4, the fun thing about the Ptolemies was that their twin passions were murder and incest. The latter makes it especially unlikely Cleopatra was anything but Greek (possibly with some ancestry from Iran due to an alliance in the more distant past, but Iranians are also famous for not being black Africans).

I thought incest was a later pursuit? I mean they didn’t jump from being a Macedonian general to an incestuous degenerate family day 1 did they?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,780
    ohnotnow said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-65288590

"SNP says finances are balanced after crisis reports"

Whew! Panic over.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Grow up.

As a child in the sixties you collected tokens from Robertson's Jam to mail off for a golliwog pin - there was absolutely no connection in my mind with it representing black people.
    Really? I understood the shortened form "Wog" as a common racial slur in my childhood, and it was widely used in the Twentieth century as such.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

Don't think that argument works, Max.

As I understand it, the point of the Smart Motorways was to increase motorway capacity more cheaply than actually widening the motorways.

So is the government going to widen roads properly (cost ££££) or just leave the problem of congestion for some other poor bugger to solve in the future?

Pound to a penny says it'll be the second.
    The key is to do neither and allow private companies to build toll roads to supplement the existing motorway network. It's time for the government to begin stepping back from some areas to concentrate on doing fewer things better than attempting to do everything and doing it badly as it currently does.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

pigeon said:

kle4 said:

FPT:

Good morning, everyone.

Because the people doing the complaining just want something to complain about (and, having found discrimination in some places, begin to see it everywhere.)

Besides, if they were really that bothered about diversity rather than offence taking, why wouldn't they try to popularise other historical figures who have fascinating stories, and where we can be pretty confident that they were actually black - like the Nubian pharoahs of Egypt, or Queen Candace?
    It would be great to have a drama series about Akhenaton. Or from the other end of Africa, Cetshwayo.
    Or historic Mali, Dahomey or Benin.

You mean like the rather poor (and historically stretched) film that is out at the moment?
  • Options
    edited April 2023

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

In a number of years of using UK medical insurance, not had a claim even questioned once.

The vast majority are using it for non-gatekeeped access to consultants, as I am.
    Yes, you can do that. The challenge then is to not end up going to consultants when you don't really need to so as to "get your money's worth".

Why don't you just pay-as-you-go though? Do you get more in medical services consumed than the premiums paid? Or does the cover come through your job as a benefit?

Although my comment to Foxy wasn't specifically about claims being turned down or about medical insurance in particular. More about the overall cost benefit test (for the customer) for insurance in general. It usually fails it.
  • Options

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

pigeon said:

kle4 said:

FPT:

Good morning, everyone.

Because the people doing the complaining just want something to complain about (and, having found discrimination in some places, begin to see it everywhere.)

Besides, if they were really that bothered about diversity rather than offence taking, why wouldn't they try to popularise other historical figures who have fascinating stories, and where we can be pretty confident that they were actually black - like the Nubian pharoahs of Egypt, or Queen Candace?
    It would be great to have a drama series about Akhenaton. Or from the other end of Africa, Cetshwayo.

You mean like the rather poor (and historically stretched) film that is out at the moment?
    The Kingdom of Dahomey that got rich by selling slaves from other countries to stave traders from the west? That Dahomey. You'd never realise it from the movie. 🤔
  • Options

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

pigeon said:

kle4 said:

FPT:

Good morning, everyone.

What film is that?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,128

Mr. kle4, the fun thing about the Ptolemies was that their twin passions were murder and incest. The latter makes it especially unlikely Cleopatra was anything but Greek (possibly with some ancestry from Iran due to an alliance in the more distant past, but Iranians are also famous for not being black Africans).

I thought incest was a later pursuit? I mean they didn’t jump from being a Macedonian general to an incestuous degenerate family day 1 did they?
    They practised incest in order to show to their Egyptian subjects that they were divine, as did previous dynasties.
  • Options

First investors marriage was one of Ptolemy’s grand children IIRC

I’m sure the very racist attitudes of the Greeks towards οι βάρβαροι helped in going that way.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Grow up.

Mr. Golly was the unsavoury owner of a petrol station.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Grow up.

Edit.
    Was dropped from their packaging as late as 2001.
    I used to work for Robertson's in the mid-1990's and we had a separate Golly fulfillment department that employed 3 staff. They were still very popular.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,582
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Grow up.

Really? I understood the shortened form "Wog" as a common racial slur in my childhood, and it was widely used in the Twentieth century as such.
    I had a black dinner lady at school who often wore a golliwog apron and never connected it with racism.

The fact is we are now absurdly over-sensitive to trivialities because somebody kicks up a storm on Twitter, while real problems, like illiteracy, poor health care, high crime rates or excessive taxation go unaddressed.
  • Options
    edited April 2023

dixiedean said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Grow up.

I can recall a Robertson's Minstrel Band. 1970s I think, and I may still have the models somewhere. Here's a pic and an article on the history.

http://revealinghistories.org.uk/legacies-stereotypes-racism-and-the-civil-rights-movement/objects/robertson-s-golliwogs.html

• Options
    Judging by YouGov, most people have no issue with golliwogs. You’d probably get more people complaining about foxhunting scenes in pubs.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,564
    They’re a gnat’s gonad away from ‘These people have an inside toilet!’ headlines. Still, job done.

• Options
    Well that's ballsy. None of them are saints on this issue, but damn.

https://twitter.com/LibHousing/status/1646774050209820673
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Home Counties Lib Dem’s have yet to get the message.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Grow up.

I had a black dinner lady at school who often wore a golliwog apron and never connected it with racism.

The fact is we are now absurdly over-sensitive to trivialities because somebody kicks up a storm on Twitter, while real problems, like illiteracy, poor health care, high crime rates or excessive taxation go unaddressed.
    I am pretty sure that as a young child I had a golliwog, possibly inherited from a parent. It never occurred to me at the time that it represented a black person. It seems obvious now but as a child you can take a lot at face value.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,058

They’re a gnat’s gonad away from ‘These people have an inside toilet!’ headlines. Still, job done.

It probably has one of those new-fangled 'flat screen televisions' too.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

Yes, you can do that. The challenge then is to not end up going to consultants when you don't really need to so as to "get your money's worth".

Why don't you just pay-as-you-go though? Do you get more in medical services consumed than the premiums paid? Or does the cover come through your job as a benefit?

Although my comment to Foxy wasn't specifically about claims being turned down or about medical insurance in particular. More about the overall cost benefit test (for the customer) for insurance in general. It usually fails it.
    Like most, I am getting it as a benefit via work. Usually extend it to the family, though. Cheap at the price.

As with most insurance, it is about the percentage who actually claim vs the cost for those who do need it.

The bit about “going to consultants when you don't really need to” is interesting.

Take one issue. I had a shoulder problem. The GP mumbled a bit and offered some worryingly strong pain killers. This went on for months.

I went to a private consultant. MRI, X-ray, nerve conduction tests, blood tests etc before I went into see him. Ruled out all the nasty issues, diagnosed the actual issue and suggested a course of action that fixed the problem. About 5 working days from first call to an actual hard diagnosis based on facts.

The NHS seems to regard testing as something that should be rationed. So my doctor sat there guessing.
  • Options

Which Tory smears? I don’t recall seeing any discussed on here.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Judging by YouGov, most people have no issue with golliwogs. You’d probably get more people complaining about foxhunting scenes in pubs.

Was there a secondary question about ‘humorously’ linking gollywogs to lynching?
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Grow up.

I think that is true about over senstitivity to trivialities, you see lots of cases where a bare handful of people (or one noisy person) is offended or upset by something, or preemptively it is decided someone might be offended or upset by something even if no one has raised it yet, so it must be changed or removed. Even if someone would be you really have to decide whether it is reasonable for them to be so offended, and even if the answer is yes, is it reasonable to accomodate them - if I get really upset over something I see on the internet that is legal, then its probably my own problem, not a societal problem that must be addressed, even if that problem is not my upset, but how anxious that upset makes me.

That said, my personal view is that golliwogs are racist. My mum had one, and I think like many people she would not have used the slur w*g, but did not think that directly affected owning, from her childhood, a golliwog.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,791
    Sean_F said:

Maybe, but if YouGov did the same survey exclusively with black respondents I suspect the result would be very different, and most would find golliwogs offensive. But I guess that would be pandering to a minority?
  • Options

It's a bit like when someone is quoted as having a millionaire pound house, like that is still a sign of being in the top 1%, when it turns out they own some crappy 2 bed semi in central London or something.

'Enjoys sunshine' is included in such a way it sounds like that itself is considered a luxury. I know Scotland is often overcast, but I assume its sunny sometimes.
  • Options
    edited April 2023

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

Like most, I am getting it as a benefit via work. Usually extend it to the family, though. Cheap at the price.

As with most insurance, it is about the percentage who actually claim vs the cost for those who do need it.

The bit about “going to consultants when you don't really need to” is interesting.

Take one issue. I had a shoulder problem. The GP mumbled a bit and offered some worryingly strong pain killers. This went on for months.

I went to a private consultant. MRI, X-ray, nerve conduction tests, blood tests etc before I went into see him. Ruled out all the nasty issues, diagnosed the actual issue and suggested a course of action that fixed the problem. About 5 working days from first call to an actual hard diagnosis based on facts.

The NHS seems to regard testing as something that should be rationed. So my doctor sat there guessing.
    Ah well if you get it through work, of course you say 'thanks' and use it to the max.

Re the NHS, my experience is good. I've never had a problem getting the GP to refer me for tests and specialist follow-ups etc.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

One of those classic national/local disconnects. No one is against housing completely, nossir (ok, probably the Greens), they just wanting housing in the right place. It's just plain bad luck that 95% of the time anywhere proposed is the wrong place.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,378
    Scott_xP said:

It was always expected they would split after she left politics, has always been seen as a convenience , time will tell.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,606
    edited April 2023
    kle4 said:

This would be the same Liberal Democrats who have opposed every single Local Plan and new housing development proposed by Tory councils in the Home counties and as Chesham and Amersham showed are quite willing to out Nimby the Nimbys when required?
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

It probably has one of those new-fangled 'flat screen televisions' too.
    I did pass a B&B sign the other day proudly advertising it had a 'colour TV'. Either they are going for a quaint experience or they have not updated their sign in a long time.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,089

Sean_F said:

Maybe, but if YouGov did the same survey exclusively with black respondents I suspect the result would be very different, and most would find golliwogs offensive. But I guess that would be pandering to a minority?
    Don't even need to consider ethnicity. Just look at age or education and you will get polar divides.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Grow up.

I wonder what attracted that Britain First supporting Essex pub landlord to his 'golly' collection then?
  • Options

Question for those better informed.

Given Alba are still around, why haven't we seen a shift to their support (or have we)?

Their leader, Alex Salmond, is less popular in Scotland than Boris Johnson.

This is in a country which loves to hates English poshos.
    People in England hate English poshos
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

pigeon said:

kle4 said:

FPT:

Good morning, everyone.

The Kingdom of Dahomey that got rich by selling slaves from other countries to stave traders from the west? That Dahomey. You'd never realise it from the movie. 🤔
    Though Dahomey in its current form as the Republic of Benin has at least officially apologised for its role in the slave trade:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/africa/an-african-country-reckons-with-its-history-of-selling-slaves/2018/01/29/5234f5aa-ff9a-11e7-86b9-8908743c79dd_story.html

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,805
    edited April 2023
    kle4 said:

Fishing said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Grow up.

I think that is true about over senstitivity to trivialities, you see lots of cases where a bare handful of people (or one noisy person) is offended or upset by something, or preemptively it is decided someone might be offended or upset by something even if no one has raised it yet, so it must be changed or removed. Even if someone would be you really have to decide whether it is reasonable for them to be so offended, and even if the answer is yes, is it reasonable to accomodate them - if I get really upset over something I see on the internet that is legal, then its probably my own problem, not a societal problem that must be addressed, even if that problem is not my upset, but how anxious that upset makes me.

That said, my personal view is that golliwogs are racist. My mum had one, and I think like many people she would not have used the slur w*g, but did not think that directly affected owning, from her childhood, a golliwog.
    It's the context and the difference in the time we live/lived in. As we discussed when talking about jokes it pretty easy to tell whether someone is being racist or homophobic, etc without banning the use of stereotypes for fun. As I mentioned before you can tell an Irish joke without anyone thinking that you think the Irish are stupid.

I certainly collected Robinson golliwog labels as a child to exchange for gifts and it never crossed my mind then that it was racist or even had anything to do with black people and even today I would have given the benefit of the doubt to that pub if we hadn't subsequently learnt that he wore a Britain First T shirt and posted 'That is what they do to them in Mississippi'. Any benefit of the doubt was then lost, big time. I think it was reasonable to then assume they were raving racist.
  • Options

MattW said:

Nigelb said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Morning all.

I don't know.

Part of the problem is that Roads Are Evul has become baked into the discourse. The increasing population and economic activity means that the existing roads get ever more loaded.

So, to a certain kind of fool, turning the hard shoulder into a running lane becomes a way round the issue.
    I don't go with "Roads are Evil"; I go with "Roads belong to all of us, some of them are streets, and a considerable rebalancing of priorities is required, including unwinding half a century of minimal investment in other priorities and the culture that has developed."

I'm quite surprised to find myself aligned with Greens on local transport questions, as I think of them as a big government control-freak party. Equally I'm fairly confident that - whatever the current govt do or do not do whilst trying to save their political backside - the direction of travel has shifted, and there's no going back.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,385
    Nigelb said:

That's right - the "it seemed fine N years ago" defence is fine if we're talking about people N years ago, but it's not relevant to people doing it now.
  • Options
    Sincere expression cemented on face - check
    UJ-Uke flags badge - check
    Crib notes scribbled on sweaty palms - check

• Options
    Sean_F said:

dixiedean said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Grow up.

I have a suspicion that he was involved in stealing cars and that Noddy and Big Ears became friends when the latter helped him get his car back.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Still cases to come to court re the perjurers , governmernt officials lying etc
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Stereodog said:

On the Gollywog thing the problem is that people lack nuance. Here is my take for what it’s worth.

Are Gollywogs racist? Yes

Is it a problem for people to own them? No in the same way it’s fine to collect Nazi memorabilia or Victorian pornography. Each to their own

Is it ok to display them publicly? In a museum yes. By a clearly racist couple running a public facing business? No

Is it disproportionate for the police to intervene? 90% of what the police do has no positive impact so why worry about this.

I think if you collected all 3 (Golliwogs and Nazi memorabilia and Victorian pornography) I might think you a bit weird though. I might go as far to say probably pretty dodgy.
  • Options
    Stereodog said:

On the Gollywog thing the problem is that people lack nuance. Here is my take for what it’s worth.

Is it a problem for people to own them? No in the same way it’s fine to collect Nazi memorabilia or Victorian pornography. Each to their own

Is it ok to display them publicly? In a museum yes. By a clearly racist couple running a public facing business? No

Is it disproportionate for the police to intervene? 90% of what the police do has no positive impact so why worry about this.

All that people need to do is avoid the pub in question.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

dixiedean said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Grow up.

I have a suspicion that he was involved in stealing cars and that Noddy and Big Ears became friends when the latter helped him get his car back.
    Whenever I hear of Noddy, Big Ears, and gollies, I think of Ian Dury.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

One of those classic national/local disconnects. No one is against housing completely, nossir (ok, probably the Greens), they just wanting housing in the right place. It's just plain bad luck that 95% of the time anywhere proposed is the wrong place.
    It might be interesting to know what proportion of proposed new developments receive objections per district.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,420
    malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

Could it end up.with home rule?
  • Options
    kjh said:

Stereodog said:

I think if you collected all 3 (Golliwogs and Nazi memorabilia and Victorian pornography) I might think you a bit weird though. I might go as far to say probably pretty dodgy.
    I think that having a pub displaying Gollies, Victorian pornography and Nazi memorabilia would be an unusual marketing strategy.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

Like most, I am getting it as a benefit via work. Usually extend it to the family, though.

The bit about “going to consultants when you don't really need to” is interesting. Take on
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

Ah well if you get it through work, of course you say 'thanks' and use it to the max.

Re the NHS, my experience is good. I've never had a problem getting the GP to refer me for tests and specialist follow-ups etc.
    The problem tends to be speed and a linear attitude to testing.

As in you see a doctor, he orders a test, sometime later you get tested, then you make an appointment to see the doctor, who suggests another test….

One time, when my daughter was in hospital, I was so bored waiting for the results of test round x that I read up and diagnosed the issue. To be fair, it was a 1% presentation of a fairly common issue. But the symptoms matched exactly…. Of course they ignored my suggestion. Two weeks later… yup. If they had simply done all the tests when she entered hospital, I wouldn’t have been doing amateur Doctor House.
  • Options
    Stereodog said:

Agree with nearly all of that, but am unsure on the display in a public facing business. If it wasn't a licensed premises I would think leave them to it. As its licensed I certainly wouldn't object if the local licensing department told them to take them down, but probably wouldn't be too concerned if they allowed it either.

If someone with scale like Wetherspoons or Tesco wanted to do similar I would support a consumer boycott but thats not necessary for one local racist pub.

It is not just the police getting involved that makes it a story, but that they needed six police officers for the visit, and it will also have taken several hours if not more of senior officer time to manage the politics and press. Completely disproportionate.

• Options
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

pigeon said:

kle4 said:

FPT:

Good morning, everyone.

Though Dahomey in its current form as the Republic of Benin has at least officially apologised for its role in the slave trade:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/africa/an-african-country-reckons-with-its-history-of-selling-slaves/2018/01/29/5234f5aa-ff9a-11e7-86b9-8908743c79dd_story.html

Which is fine for them but people watching the movie would have had no idea that Dahomey ever engaged in slave trading, completely white washed the actual history of the nation and the reason for their aggressive territorial expansion.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

pigeon said:

kle4 said:

FPT:

Good morning, everyone.

Which is fine for them but people watching the movie would have had no idea that Dahomey ever engaged in slave trading, completely white washed the actual history of the nation and the reason for their aggressive territorial expansion.
    Whoops a daisy.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Stereodog said:

All that people need to do is avoid the pub in question.
    Yes. That's one way of establishing a Whites Only business. Just drape it in Gollies.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,217
    Sean_F said:

They practised incest in order to show to their Egyptian subjects that they were divine, as did previous dynasties.
    It was also a deliberate strategy to maintain Hellenic culture as a case apart from their subjects. Portraying Cleopatra as black African is rather insulting to Greek heritage to be honest.
  • Options

Stereodog said:

Agree with nearly all of that, but am unsure on the display in a public facing business. If it wasn't a licensed premises I would think leave them to it. As its licensed I certainly wouldn't object if the local licensing department told them to take them down, but probably wouldn't be too concerned if they allowed it either.

If someone with scale like Wetherspoons or Tesco wanted to do similar I would support a consumer boycott but thats not necessary for one local racist pub.

It is not just the police getting involved that makes it a story, but that they needed six police officers for the visit, and it will also have taken several hours if not more of senior officer time to manage the politics and press. Completely disproportionate.

I guess we don't know the context. My original thought was that it was a massive over reaction, but it could be that now we actually know they are clearly racists and seem proud to be, there may be more to this and the police thought it both necessary and needed to go in mob handed in case it kicked off. I mean it is not unreasonable to assume their clientele might also be sympathetic to extreme right wing views.

I hope at least one of the coppers was black, just to really wind them up.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

Could it end up.with home rule?
    It could well given the people involved.
  • Options
  • Options
    kjh said:

Stereodog said:

I guess we don't know the context. My original thought was that it was a massive over reaction, but it could be that now we actually know they are clearly racists and seem proud to be, there may be more to this and the police thought it both necessary and needed to go in mob handed in case it kicked off. I mean it is not unreasonable to assume their clientele might also be sympathetic to extreme right wing views.

Well then just pop in at 11 in the morning when it is quiet and no-one likely to be booze fuelled? Also as much as I dislike racism, not all racists are violent, most aren't!
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

kjh said:

Stereodog said:

I think that having a pub displaying Gollies, Victorian pornography and Nazi memorabilia would be an unusual marketing strategy.
    I sense a tremor of excitement at the thought though..
  • Options
    edited April 2023

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

Like most, I am getting it as a benefit via work. Usually extend it to the family, though.

The bit about “going to consultants when you don't really need to” is interesting. Take on
    kjh said:

Stereodog said:

The thing that struck me was the cops not knowing *when* to raid a licensed premises.

Just before opening on a weekday. No customers, no drunks. The cleaners will have been in, so no broken glass to cause accidents.

The staff/landlord will be tired from the previous night and bombing up on coffee to get moving.

So no angry drunks and no energy for a confrontation.

This was how they did it in Oxford when I was young. A pub I drank in had a fair number of “friendly visits” from the law…
  • Options

Sean_F said:

kjh said:

Stereodog said:

Really? I am surprised.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,360
    edited April 2023
    Did anyone notice Mike getting referenced in today's John Harris piece as one of the 'gurus of political gambling'?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/apr/16/keir-starmer-polls-tightening-labour-tories
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    @Malmesbury

I think you're messing up the blockquotes by trying to reply to multiple posts in one go. I have replied thus:

Ok but you're extrapolating personal experience to the general. To reciprocate in that vein, based on my direct experience, I assess the NHS to be fast, accurate, professional and humane. Nigh on perfect really.

That said, I'm not an 'Envy of the World' person. Neither would I have Healthcare as a top public spending priority.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

kjh said:

Stereodog said:

Really? I am surprised.
    I think someone is angling for an invite for the opening night….
This discussion has been closed.