Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Tonight’s Opinium – politicalbetting.com

2»

Comments

• kle4kle4 Posts: 95,106
    Real opportunity for Yousaf here - short of being caught with his trousers down on his first day it's been about as bad a start to his leadership as there could possibly be, so it's almost certainly only upwards from here!
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,834
    Can any PB-er beat this for a Stupidly Missed Experience?

Decades ago a good friend of mine, a music journalist, (who often takes me to weird gigs I love) said "Oooh, I've got a good one, this young female singer playing in Hackney tonight, west London Jewish, said to have an amazing voice, you really should come, her talent is said to be phenomenal" - but I was feeling lazy, and I thought "Hackney is such a schlep", so I turned down this FREE TICKET, and of course it turned out it was a young Amy Winehouse that I missed, and the reviews of this definitive gig were all sensational, "possibly one of the greatest singers Britain has produced" blah blah

Never did get to see her live. GAHHHHHH
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,370
    pigeon said:

IanB2 said:

Brexit and 21st-century biometric checks are killing off the romance of crossing borders for modern passengers looking for the nostalgia of the luxury train journey that inspired Agatha Christie and Hollywood.

Belmond, the company that runs today’s Venice Simplon-Orient-Express (VSOE), has decided to drop the London-to-Folkestone leg of the route because it has become too difficult to cross the border to Calais.

This is one Brexit negative I can't bring myself to get too excited about TBH. Anyone with enough money to burn to contemplate the astronomical price of travelling on that train will probably view this is an opportunity to do the journey over two nights instead of one, with a stay at a suite in the George V or the Paris Ritz. Nobody is going to suffer from it.
    An aunt of mine did this. You took a separate, luxury train from London to Folkestone, then you had to get on a coach, which drove onto eurotunnel. Not exactly romantic. Then onto the "real" Orient Express at Calais.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,374
    So Sunak has still cut Labour's lead overall, especially compared to the Truss period. Yet Labour still heading for a 1997 level landslide. He needs to squeeze DKs and the 8% voting RefUK in tonight's Opinium especially
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

BBC2 is playing a live concert by Carole King in Central Park in NYC from.... 1973

The nostalgia is haunting. And her outfit is touchingly terrible, as is the camerawork, and the overcast sky. But the music is real and entirely unmediated, with an innocence that ahhhhhhhhh sad

I haven't turned that on, but am now listening to Tapestry for the first time in ages

What a great album
    You've Got A Friend is one of the greatest songs of all time, and it also, unusually, has two superb versions: the original Carole King but then the James Taylor cover. Can never decide which is better
    Surely it doesn't matter which is "better"?

They're both great to hear and listen to
    It doesn't matter at all, of course, but the weird thing is - having this minute listened to both - I have just decided that the original Carole King version is "better". More earthy and authentic, and ultimately more moving

Carole King was quite the talent. I had no idea her career was so vividly long. She wrote the original Locomotion, and also Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow, so memorably recorded by Amy Winehouse, in one of the best cover versions of anything ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuanbnnzXQ4
    That is awesome

I’m going to play that to my Dad, who used to play Tapestry loads when I was a kid, on the way to London tomorrow

We’re going to Ronnie Scott’s for Sunday lunch

https://www.ronniescotts.co.uk/performances/view/7971-stacey-kent
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,467
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

My tank ID is bad, but claimed to be a photo of a T-55 in use by Russian forces in Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1647279106134794240

This is one aspect of the "stalemate" narrative that is worth considering. How long can Russia maintain a stalemate without extensive external support? Can they last as long as the inauguration of the next US President in January 2025, in the hope that it will be Trump and the support for Ukraine will stop?

If they're using T-55s now then I don't think they can last that long.

A lot will have changed by 2025, but I don't think Trump in the White House would help Putin in practice.

Most likely Trump would just repeat his previous theatrics with NATO and make a show of demanding that Europe pays for taking care of its own backyard. Countries like Poland are not going to shrug and say, "Well we might as well sell them out to Russia."
    It's hard to predict what Trump would do because he's pure ego and impulse. He's a massive general risk to more or less everything. Unmodelable.
    Some of his most vocal supproters definitely want to advance Putin's aims by abandoning Ukraine - the chances of him indulging such people is surely higher than many suspect. A show to Europe that they need to up their game is one thing, but the USA is necessary here.
    Oh yes he could drop Ukraine in a heartbeat. Or he could do a clumsy escalation. Or he could sign some ridiculous treaty or other. Or ... etc. God knows basically.

But the good news? Won't be doing any of it because he can't get elected. He appears to have a chance but it's an illusion. 🙂
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,605

If you are in the shit with the Electoral Commission, for example for not having auditors, does there come a point at which you can't stand candidates?

The Electoral Commission doesn't seem to be the fastest-moving organisation, so I'd guess the SNP would have enough time to sort things out, or set up a successor organisation, before that became an issue.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,286
    edited April 2023

Sandpit said:

Sean_F said:

O/T I’m spending my first ever night in Glastonbury, and it’s like being in The Wicker Man.

I wonder if I should visit Asgard, The Magickal Apothecary, and ask them if they’ll sell me a dried foetus.

You’re about 10 weeks early for the festival.
    And in the wrong place. Glastonbury festival is not held in Glastonbury, it’s near Pilton.
    "Nobody tells me nothin'!"
    kle4 said:

Real opportunity for Yousaf here - short of being caught with his trousers down on his first day it's been about as bad a start to his leadership as there could possibly be, so it's almost certainly only upwards from here!

"Things can always get worse"
    It's as true as
    "This too will pass"
  • BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,695
    edited April 2023
    Leon said:

Decades ago a good friend of mine, a music journalist, (who often takes me to weird gigs I love) said "Oooh, I've got a good one, this young female singer playing in Hackney tonight, west London Jewish, said to have an amazing voice, you really should come, her talent is said to be phenomenal" - but I was feeling lazy, and I thought "Hackney is such a schlep", so I turned down this FREE TICKET, and of course it turned out it was a young Amy Winehouse that I missed, and the reviews of this definitive gig were all sensational, "possibly one of the greatest singers Britain has produced" blah blah

My sister boasted to me one Christmas that she'd been given tickets to see James Brown with backstage passes at a show in London a couple of months before, and that she'd given them away to some guy at work

James Brown died the day she told me that

(edit - she could have given them to me and she knew I loved James Brown)

Leon said:

My sister boasted to me one Christmas that she'd been given tickets to see James Brown with backstage passes at a show in London a couple of months before, and that she'd given them away to some guy at work

A friend of mine's dad walked out of the 1966 World Cup Final ten minutes before the end of Full Time (ie 90 minutes) because he was worried about the crowds around his parked car, and he wanted to get ahead of the traffic
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,829

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

O/T I’m spending my first ever night in Glastonbury, and it’s like being in The Wicker Man.

I wonder if I should visit Asgard, The Magickal Apothecary, and ask them if they’ll sell me a dried foetus.

Glasto has long been strange, and has got stranger over the last 15 years.
    Probably a good job that alternative healing doesn’t need to show proof of efficacy, or the towns economy would fold…

(Oddly autocorrect turned Glasto into Glasgow, only just caught it in time…)
    I wonder if they practise human sacrifice in these parts.
    Feeling nervous? Don’t accept drinks from strangers…
    The local bookshop is displaying, inter alia, Demonology, The True Grimoire. Hecate and The Black Arts, a biography of Alesteir Cowley, etc.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,961
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Probably a good job that alternative healing doesn’t need to show proof of efficacy, or the towns economy would fold…

The local bookshop is displaying, inter alia, Demonology, The True Grimoire. Hecate and The Black Arts, a biography of Alesteir Cowley, etc.
    All utter bollocks, of course, but then I think that about all religions.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,813

If you are in the shit with the Electoral Commission, for example for not having auditors, does there come a point at which you can't stand candidates?

The Electoral Commission doesn't seem to be the fastest-moving organisation, so I'd guess the SNP would have enough time to sort things out, or set up a successor organisation, before that became an issue.
    If things turn out to be as bad as they look then successor organisation it is. Of course, that brings its own problems. Name recognition is very powerful and voters are frequently inattentive, extremely thick, or both. I distinctly recall a story from many years back - I think it was a European Parliament election in Cornwall - where a bloke stood as a "Literal Democrat" and managed to win over 10,000 votes, mostly from complete imbeciles who thought they were voting Lib Dem. Should the SNP become defunct, is there anything from stopping a mischief maker with reasonably deep pockets from setting up the Scottish Nationalist Party or the Scotland National Party, and running a slate of candidates to split the vote?

Which is better out of:

Camille Yarbrough - Take Yo' Praise (1975)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGQbtyctPmE

or,

Fat Boy Slim - Praise You (1998)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruAi4VBoBSM

???

The first. The original. Fo sho
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

A friend of mine's dad walked out of the 1966 World Cup Final ten minutes before the end of Full Time (ie 90 minutes) because he was worried about the crowds around his parked car, and he wanted to get ahead of the traffic
    At least I can blame it on my sister!
    HYUFD said:

So Sunak has still cut Labour's lead overall, especially compared to the Truss period. Yet Labour still heading for a 1997 level landslide. He needs to squeeze DKs and the 8% voting RefUK in tonight's Opinium especially

But you can't squeeze both the hard right and the soft floaters, can you. It's like trying to sneeze and wipe your bum at the same time.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    Front page of the @Sunday_Mail. Police investigating fraud are looking at claims Nicola Sturgeon blocked access to the SNP's accounts. #tomorrowspaperstoday

https://twitter.com/CraigoRobertson/status/1647353767103168512?s=20

Leon said:

Leon said:

I missed seeing one of the very last Joy Division gigs before Ian Curtis died coz I didn't fancy a 2 hour coach ride. A ticket was offered. Never did see them (tho I did see New Order several times). Apparently his rendition of Atmosphere was utterly spellbinding

I like to think these various scars have taught me to always Carpe Diem

Jesus Christ I am playing "Atmosphere" right now. What a song
    Leon said:

Did you see her around Camden Town though? Bar, kebab stall, market, shops?
  • Front page of the @Sunday_Mail. Police investigating fraud are looking at claims Nicola Sturgeon blocked access to the SNP's accounts. #tomorrowspaperstoday

12 Pages Of Puzzles - Police In Sturgeon Emails Probe

Front page of the @Sunday_Mail. Police investigating fraud are looking at claims Nicola Sturgeon blocked access to the SNP's accounts. #tomorrowspaperstoday

She's going daaaaaaaaaahn
    pigeon said:

If things turn out to be as bad as they look then successor organisation it is. Of course, that brings its own problems. Name recognition is very powerful and voters are frequently inattentive, extremely thick, or both. I distinctly recall a story from many years back - I think it was a European Parliament election in Cornwall - where a bloke stood as a "Literal Democrat" and managed to win over 10,000 votes, mostly from complete imbeciles who thought they were voting Lib Dem. Should the SNP become defunct, is there anything from stopping a mischief maker with reasonably deep pockets from setting up the Scottish Nationalist Party or the Scotland National Party, and running a slate of candidates to split the vote?
    Yeah, that's potentially an issue that will make a difference at the margins for the next election, if it comes to it. But if it gets that bad, and Sturgeon is dragged into it too, then it's the actual loss of support that will be more significant than any Electoral Commission related issues.
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,909
    Nigelb said:

‘A naive and stupid idea’: how Rishi Sunak’s Future Fund spent millions on failed firms
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/apr/15/a-naive-and-stupid-idea-how-rishi-sunaks-future-fund-spent-millions-on-failed-firms
    … this company collapse attracted particular scrutiny because it had been funded not just by venture capital, but also by the taxpayer, courtesy of a £5m loan from Rishi Sunak’s Future Fund.

Launched in April 2020 when the prime minister was chancellor, the fund was designed to help promising startup businesses ride out the pandemic. It was administered by the British Business Bank (BBB), the UK state development vehicle designed to increase the flow of lending to growing companies.

Under the scheme, the BBB would lend firms between £125,000 and £5m, matching parallel investments from private investors, with the loans converting into shares when the company next raised capital.

By January 2021, Sunak told the House of Commons that the fund had ridden to the rescue of 1,000 of Britain’s “fastest-growing startup companies”. That upbeat assessment belied a history of serious misgivings behind the scenes.

In May 2020, shortly after the fund was created, the BBB chief executive, Keith Morgan, wrote a “reservation notice” to ministers warning of concerns that the scheme would only attract “second tier” companies that could not attract investment from elsewhere and that achieving value for money for the taxpayer was “highly uncertain”. If the BBB were to go ahead with it, he said, it would need to be expressly instructed to do so by ministers.

… Many of the fund’s loan recipients were neither startups nor fast-growing. Some had connections to Sunak and the Conservative party, while others had wealthy investors, such as the Duke of Westminster or EasyGroup tycoon Stelios Haji-Ioannou. Still more simply proved to be bad bets, going bust and leaving the taxpayer on the hook for millions…

Be interesting to see how this progresses over the next year.
    So far only around 10% of the fund is definitely irrecoverable.

For early stage VC losses are to be expected
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 69,167
    Nutrition Science’s Most Preposterous Result
    Studies show a mysterious health benefit to ice cream. Scientists don’t want to talk about it.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2023/05/ice-cream-bad-for-you-health-study/673487/
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Did you see her around Camden Town though? Bar, kebab stall, market, shops?
    Nope, never (I didn't live in Camden during her time, I was down in Bloomsbury, Fitzrovia or Marylebone)

Ironically, they are right now filming a biopic of her life, which virtually closed Parkway for a week a fortnight back
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I missed seeing one of the very last Joy Division gigs before Ian Curtis died coz I didn't fancy a 2 hour coach ride. A ticket was offered. Never did see them (tho I did see New Order several times). Apparently his rendition of Atmosphere was utterly spellbinding

I'm still listening to Tapestry (after the brief Amy interlude)

Looking out on the morning rain, I used to feel uninspired..

You're right; it's a masterpiece

• BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,695
    kle4 said:

A time-honoured task in politics is, when your opponents elect a new leader, to ensure he/she gets imprinted in the minds of voters in the worst possible way. Very difficult to recover from that first impression. As, for instance, Iain Duncan Smith discovered - he never had a chance against New Labour who were all over him from day one. In fact, before day one.

In this instance the other parties haven't had to exert themselves as the SNP have done it all themselves.

Humza will try and try but the impression is indelible. He won't be going "upwards" very far.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I'm still listening to Tapestry (after the brief Amy interlude)

Looking out on the morning rain, I used to feel uninspired..

You're right; it's a masterpiece

Wiki says it sold "30 million copies". Quality will always win in the end
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,239
    Leon said:

Yes, I missed that same gig if it's the one I'm thinking of in the pub basement. But managed to see her at the Koko a couple of years later. Almost did that with the Libertines in the Roundhouse but decided to go and what a great decision that was.

One thing I miss now that music is invariably shite is that aspect of London's gig scene, I used to have my ear to the ground for any new and great bands but now there's just no point because new music is just a load of shit.
    The most important part of adulthood, writes @HJoyceGender, is understanding that not everything is about you
    https://twitter.com/thecriticmag/status/1647169138589319170
    pigeon said:

I don't think the Literal Democrat ploy is legal anymore. I guess if a party were to go belly up then someone else could register a very similar name as the other is not being used?

pigeon said:

Yeah, that's potentially an issue that will make a difference at the margins for the next election, if it comes to it. But if it gets that bad, and Sturgeon is dragged into it too, then it's the actual loss of support that will be more significant than any Electoral Commission related issues.
    Well, we shall see. Is the pro-independence vote going to troop back to Labour en masse just because the SNP have been exposed as a total shambles? They've not exactly been covering themselves in glory for most of the past sixteen years, and yet they keep winning every election they fight.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,882
    edited April 2023
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Yes, I missed that same gig if it's the one I'm thinking of in the pub basement. But managed to see her at the Koko a couple of years later. Almost did that with the Libertines in the Roundhouse but decided to go and what a great decision that was.

One thing I miss now that music is invariably shite is that aspect of London's gig scene, I used to have my ear to the ground for any new and great bands but now there's just no point because new music is just a load of shit.
    I don't if this is what was discussed upthread, but this is an interesting coincidence as there was an excellent concert of the Jewish Carole King on BBC2 tonight. I never knew she delved that far into funk music and r'n'b.

Edit : I see this is the source of the topic. This is the sort of thing BBC2 should be broadcasting more of ; full length, sometimes relatively obscure concert material, as it did more of in the 1980's and early 1990's. Bring back the international and arthouse cinema too.
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

At least you got to see her!

I have had some brilliant music new experiences in the last few years. eg I saw the Gloaming at the Union Chapel Islington (via the same music journo friend, who insisted I come!). What a venue, what a night!

But yeah, in general, the music ain't wot it woz. Where is the Amy Winehouse de nos jours? Sadly, she does not exist

Interestingly my same journo friend reckons Amy was the Last Great Pop Star of the Golden Era: the Philip Larkin, the Titian, the Wagner, the Bonnard, the Schoenberg, the end of a particular era of unprecedented creativity
    pigeon said:

pigeon said:

Well, we shall see. Is the pro-independence vote going to troop back to Labour en masse just because the SNP have been exposed as a total shambles? They've not exactly been covering themselves in glory for most of the past sixteen years, and yet they keep winning every election they fight.
    Well, as we are often reminded there are Sindy backers amongst Slab voters already - they won't get all or even most of them back, but a few more would be nice, and given the volatility of Scottish constituencies in the last 3 elections could play a significant role, even though the position as primary independence vehicle ensures a high floor of support.
    kle4 said:

pigeon said:

I don't think the Literal Democrat ploy is legal anymore. I guess if a party were to go belly up then someone else could register a very similar name as the other is not being used?
    My thoughts exactly - though if it turns out that a near identical name can't be used full stop, the SNP leadership itself would, presumably, also be forced to choose a substantially different name when creating a clone?

If they can't be anything "National" then the obvious alternative is the Scottish Independence Party, though that might draw unfavourable comparisons with UKIP...
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

But you can't squeeze both the hard right and the soft floaters, can you. It's like trying to sneeze and wipe your bum at the same time.
    They're going to have to try. Winning either on its own won't be enough. I think we've already seen this strategy in action with the 'Lets foster a new era of cooperation and competency' NI protocol 1 week, then 'Destroy them boat people goshdarnit' the next.
    I wonder what my kids will think of me, that I lived through the greatest era in popular music EVER

Jealousy? Spite? Incredulity? Will they even understand? I think they will understand, in a way
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 17,046
    I wouldn't read too much into reports of Russia deploying T-55 tanks unfortunately. Armies use weapons that are available to them as long as they are useful. Russia has plenty of T-55's, which are still lethal and can complement more modern tasks.
    pigeon said:

pigeon said:

It's more likely to split between three or four pro-independence parties - Alba, Greens, post-SNP (pro-Sturgeon faction), post-SNP (anti-Sturgeon faction) - than to return to Labour en masse, but that would still give Labour lots of Scottish seats at Westminster, and in the FPTP section of the Holyrood elections.

After that, it depends on what Labour do with those extra MPs and MSPs.

It will be interesting to see whether there's a slice of the pro-indy/SNP vote that's been on the basis that the SNP government in Scotland has looked more sane and competent than Westminster, and if that is eroded. I don't think that current levels of support for Independence or the Union are as set in stone as sometimes supposed.
  • Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

I have had some brilliant music new experiences in the last few years. eg I saw the Gloaming at the Union Chapel Islington (via the same music journo friend, who insisted I come!). What a venue, what a night!

But yeah, in general, the music ain't wot it woz. Where is the Amy Winehouse de nos jours? Sadly, she does not exist

Interestingly my same journo friend reckons Amy was the Last Great Pop Star of the Golden Era: the Philip Larkin, the Titian, the Wagner, the Bonnard, the Schoenberg, the end of a particular era of unprecedented creativity
    I'm going to the Union Chapel in July to see Mavis Staples

pigeon said:

pigeon said:

It's more likely to split between three or four pro-independence parties - Alba, Greens, post-SNP (pro-Sturgeon faction), post-SNP (anti-Sturgeon faction) - than to return to Labour en masse, but that would still give Labour lots of Scottish seats at Westminster, and in the FPTP section of the Holyrood elections.

It will be interesting to see whether there's a slice of the pro-indy/SNP vote that's been on the basis that the SNP government in Scotland has looked more sane and competent than Westminster, and if that is eroded. I don't think that current levels of support for Independence or the Union are as set in stone as sometimes supposed.
    Is there any real likelihood of a significant chunk of the 45% of the Scottish electorate that voted to be rid of the rest of us not very long ago changing their minds, and deciding that this Britain thing might be a good idea after all? Colour me sceptical.
    At last, someone in the media has the courage to tell the truth about what Biden’s ‘coming home’ trip was really all about.

“…the Department of Foreign Affairs sought to turn the country into a Disneyland version of Ireland that Democratic Party-supporting TV networks can beam into American living rooms ahead of next year’s presidential run.”

Not a Disneyland version of Ireland, if I might make a slight correction, but a 𝐷𝑎𝑟𝑏𝑦 𝑂’𝐺𝑖𝑙𝑙 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝐿𝑖𝑡𝑡𝑙𝑒 𝑃𝑒𝑜𝑝𝑙𝑒 version, with a mythical, technicolour (if somewhat misty) version of Ireland on display, and our sycophantic politicians playing walk-on parts as leprechaun extras. For this visit had very little to do with Ireland, and everything to do with Biden’s second run at the Presidency of the USA. “The Irish Government had little to no say in the running of Biden’s visit. They were essentially given a running order by the White House and told to show up on time.”

And now that the party’s over, and our pathetic politicians have finally stopped tripping over themselves to have their selfies with Biden taken, the after-party clean-up can begin and we can count the cost to our diminished self-respect.

https://twitter.com/casey5122dark/status/1647138900924592128
    FF43 said:

I wouldn't read too much into reports of Russia deploying T-55 tanks unfortunately. Armies use weapons that are available to them as long as they are useful. Russia has plenty of T-55's, which are still lethal and can complement more modern tasks.

OTOH how far back into its stockpiles (or museums) does Russia have to go before we can say that they're in serious trouble with respect to vital equipment? Men on horseback armed with sabres and flintlock pistols also have the capacity to inflict damage, but the use of Napoleonic-era horse cavalry might be considered somewhat sub-optimal.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,594
    edited April 2023
    Leon said:

I wonder what my kids will think of me, that I lived through the greatest era in popular music EVER

Jealousy? Spite? Incredulity? Will they even understand? I think they will understand, in a way

Yep, nothing beats early 80s synth music. 😊

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

It is a magnificent venue, especially if you have the right artist (wouldn't suit Jay Z, or Led Zep in their pomp)

I saw a great Seth Lakeman gig there, as well. It is deffo perfect for English neo-folk or rousing Celtic classical-system music

A friend of mine saw Crowded House do an acoustic gig there about 600 years ago and he raves about it still
    FF43 said:

If that were so then we'd have seen T-55 tanks cross the border in February 2022, no?

Instead what we are seeing is Russia having to reach ever deeper into its inventory of obsolete equipment - T-62 last autumn, T-55 this spring - as its more modern equipment is destroyed. Where does it turn after another few months of further tank losses? What do they do when the last museum piece has been refurbished and sent to the front?

This is a definite step towards the point at which Russia is unable to sustain the war effort, and marks another deterioration in their force quality.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,644
    FF43 said:

The T55/T54 inspired Royal Ordnance to produce the L7 105mm gun. Which could kill the Russian tanks with ease. In 1958.

So, 64 years later.....
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Yep, nothing beats early 80s synth music. 😊
    I honestly would not have called that as your preferred genre!
    pigeon said:

FF43 said:

OTOH how far back into its stockpiles (or museums) does Russia have to go before we can say that they're in serious trouble with respect to vital equipment? Men on horseback armed with sabres and flintlock pistols also have the capacity to inflict damage, but the use of Napoleonic-era horse cavalry might be considered somewhat sub-optimal.
    Seemingly it's all down to how much ammo each side can get for their artillery anyway?
    pigeon said:

pigeon said:

pigeon said:

Is there any real likelihood of a significant chunk of the 45% of the Scottish electorate that voted to be rid of the rest of us not very long ago changing their minds, and deciding that this Britain thing might be a good idea after all? Colour me sceptical.
    It was a binary vote and people not particularly sure one way or another had to make a choice. There will definitely be those among the 45% who are more open to changing their minds than others, just as there is the potential for some of the 55% to be persuaded to give Independence a go.

Why do you expect support to stay fixed at its current level?
    Now, I'm no boxing expert, but I have to assume if you look like this after a few rounds it is not a good sign.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/65278963

pigeon said:

pigeon said:

pigeon said:

It was a binary vote and people not particularly sure one way or another had to make a choice. There will definitely be those among the 45% who are more open to changing their minds than others, just as there is the potential for some of the 55% to be persuaded to give Independence a go.

Quite. Look at the polling now for Quebec Indy. It is down to about 30%. At most 35%. In the last referendum they got damn well close to 50%

These things change. There is no real prospect of Quebec indy for the foreseeable future and even the main parties proposing it have basically accepted this political fact

Once an option is taken off the immediate menu then people lose interest in general, and then develop other passions and priorities. With the implosion of the Nits I expect this to happen to Scottish indy, as there is no prospect of a referendum in the near future people will quietly abandon the idea behind it
  • TresTres Posts: 2,656

Andy_JS said:

Interesting that Labour sources have apparently said they believe they are more like 10 to 12 points ahead, not the 18 points in the opinion polls.

First poll in which Labour drop below a 10 point lead they will publicly shit their pants.
    rich from the person who can't have a pub lunch or walk through a train station without having a meltdown

At last, someone in the media has the courage to tell the truth about what Biden’s ‘coming home’ trip was really all about.

“…the Department of Foreign Affairs sought to turn the country into a Disneyland version of Ireland that Democratic Party-supporting TV networks can beam into American living rooms ahead of next year’s presidential run.”

Not a Disneyland version of Ireland, if I might make a slight correction, but a 𝐷𝑎𝑟𝑏𝑦 𝑂’𝐺𝑖𝑙𝑙 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝐿𝑖𝑡𝑡𝑙𝑒 𝑃𝑒𝑜𝑝𝑙𝑒 version, with a mythical, technicolour (if somewhat misty) version of Ireland on display, and our sycophantic politicians playing walk-on parts as leprechaun extras. For this visit had very little to do with Ireland, and everything to do with Biden’s second run at the Presidency of the USA. “The Irish Government had little to no say in the running of Biden’s visit. They were essentially given a running order by the White House and told to show up on time.”

And now that the party’s over, and our pathetic politicians have finally stopped tripping over themselves to have their selfies with Biden taken, the after-party clean-up can begin and we can count the cost to our diminished self-respect.

https://twitter.com/casey5122dark/status/1647138900924592128

The irish sell that vision of their country to American's every day at Blarney Castle.
    kle4 said:

pigeon said:

FF43 said:

Seemingly it's all down to how much ammo each side can get for their artillery anyway?
    Not to mention replacement artillery barrels - a worn out barrel loses accuracy and eventually becomes lethal to its operators.
    Och and ahahahahha

💥Police passed emails claiming Sturgeon blocked finance scrutiny
    💥Footage of former FM angrily telling NEC accounts ‘never been stronger’ and not to talk about them - weeks before fraud probe launched
    💥Jewellery purchases being investigated
    💥Portuguese villa revealed

https://twitter.com/johncferguson/status/1647367842268839937?s=20

JEWELLERY??
    Leon said:

pigeon said:

pigeon said:

pigeon said:

Quite. Look at the polling now for Quebec Indy. It is down to about 30%. At most 35%. In the last referendum they got damn well close to 50%

These things change. There is no real prospect of Quebec indy for the foreseeable future and even the main parties proposing it have basically accepted this political fact

Once an option is taken off the immediate menu then people lose interest in general, and then develop other passions and priorities. With the implosion of the Nits I expect this to happen to Scottish indy, as there is no prospect of a referendum in the near future people will quietly abandon the idea behind it
    I hope for such an outcome, but I could also see something like - Labour disappoint, Tories in opposition become even more crazy, new Scottish Indy Party, with a new generation of politicians, rises like a phoenix and looks like an appealing option in a dreary and disappointing political climate.
    edited April 2023
    Leon said:

Och and ahahahahha

💥Footage of former FM angrily telling NEC accounts ‘never been stronger’ and not to talk about them - weeks before fraud probe launched

JEWELLERY??

There's no way, surely, simply no way, that something so petty has been going on right? I mean, how bloody stupid would that be for national leaders?
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

I think it's probably Taylor Swift, though I guess she's probably closer to a Madonna than an Amy Winehouse. Writes her own songs and melodies which in this era is quite rare.

Of that era I think The Libertines changed music more than any other band, Can't Stand Me Now is the Go Your Own Way of the 00s. Their first album moved us on from Britpop into the age of indie bands which probably ended with the blandness that was The Kooks.

Speaking of missing big bands I managed to miss Fleetwood Mac in 2003 at Earl's Court because my mum decided she wanted to go with my dad despite that fact that I'd bought two tickets for myself and my dad as his birthday present. Still a bit bitter about it today lol.
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

I think it's probably Taylor Swift, though I guess she's probably closer to a Madonna than an Amy Winehouse. Writes her own songs and melodies which in this era is quite rare.

Of that era I think The Libertines changed music more than any other band, Can't Stand Me Now is the Go Your Own Way of the 00s. Their first album moved us on from Britpop into the age of indie bands which probably ended with the blandness that was The Kooks.

Speaking of missing big bands I managed to miss Fleetwood Mac in 2003 at Earl's Court because my mum decided she wanted to go with my dad despite that fact that I'd bought two tickets for myself and my dad as his birthday present. Still a bit bitter about it today lol.
    Good call on Taylor Swift. She's written some classics. Not the voice or charisma of Amy, but more poptastic for sure. Perhaps together they are the twin final bookends of the great golden era of Anglo-American pop

God to have seen Fleetwood Mac! The older I get the more I realise how good they were. "Rumours" is astonishing

I did see Mick Fleetwood solo in a cute tiny theatre in Paris in about 2005 which was something
    edited April 2023
    Leon said:

pigeon said:

pigeon said:

pigeon said:

Of course it was the ethnic minority vote that prevented the province from voting for independence in 1995, something that caused some Quebec nationalists to allegedly make racist comments after the result was announced.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,370
    edited April 2023
    Leon said:

Och and ahahahahha

JEWELLERY??

After some unpleasant weeks, this is cheering me right up. Petty, I know, but it really is.

And how small the amounts are... Mind-boggling. Why don't the SNP have any big donors?

Leon said:

pigeon said:

pigeon said:

pigeon said:

I hope for such an outcome, but I could also see something like - Labour disappoint, Tories in opposition become even more crazy, new Scottish Indy Party, with a new generation of politicians, rises like a phoenix and looks like an appealing option in a dreary and disappointing political climate.
    I just can't see it. Of course it is possible but it will take a unique combo of political genius and perfect political circumstance. Looking back, for Scottish Indy that was probably 2014 under Alex Salmond

Now we have all witnessed the bitterness and pain of Brexit (even if you believe in it, which I do) and it will make the nervous shy away. My guess is that Sindy is over for a decade at least, perhaps forever. Breaking up is hard to do

Andy_JS said:

Interesting that Labour sources have apparently said they believe they are more like 10 to 12 points ahead, not the 18 points in the opinion polls.

First poll in which Labour drop below a 10 point lead they will publicly shit their pants.
    It may not even be an opinion poll, it may be the local elections projected vote share.
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Good call on Taylor Swift. She's written some classics. Not the voice or charisma of Amy, but more poptastic for sure. Perhaps together they are the twin final bookends of the great golden era of Anglo-American pop

God to have seen Fleetwood Mac! The older I get the more I realise how good they were. "Rumours" is astonishing

I did see Mick Fleetwood solo in a cute tiny theatre in Paris in about 2005 which was something
    Yeah, Fleetwood Mac were absolutely incredible, hence being bitter 20 years later about missing them when they were still really amazing and not old and now permanently missing a band member. My dad said they did a two and a half hour set that night too as it was their last evening in London for a really long time. Rumours is probably one of the single best end to end albums of all time, it's just brilliant. The like of which I don't think we'll see again in music.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,621
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Interesting how tastes differ. I've always thought The Libertines were a load of unadulterated crap. 'Can't Stand Me Now' is passable but really the only vaguely decent thing they ever did.
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

Och and ahahahahha

JEWELLERY??

After some unpleasant weeks, this is cheering me right up. Petty, I know, but it really is.

And how small the amounts are... Mind-boggling. Why don't the SNP have any big donors?
    Yes, it's the pettiness and the mediocrity of the corruption which makes it all worse. It's not seventy eight billion spent on fake Covid PPE, its a sad campervan parked in Dunfermaline, it's a small Portuguese villa, and now apparently some "jewellery", yet it was enough for the Scottish government to hide the fact their auditors had resigned and for Sturgeon to shout down any doubters and, yet, enough for her then to suddenly resign

Tawdry, is, I believe, the word
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Och and ahahahahha

JEWELLERY??

Yes, it's the pettiness and the mediocrity of the corruption which makes it all worse. It's not seventy eight billion spent on fake Covid PPE, its a sad campervan parked in Dunfermaline, it's a small Portuguese villa, and now apparently some "jewellery", yet it was enough for the Scottish government to hide the fact their auditors had resigned and for Sturgeon to shout down any doubters and, yet, enough for her then to suddenly resign

I, for one, believe there is zero connection between recent events being upcoming and the decision to resign. None. Zilch.
    Two interesting articles.

"AI is a false prophet
    Our enslavement to idolatry will end in disaster
    Jacob Howland"

https://unherd.com/2023/04/ai-is-a-false-prophet/

"In defence of postmodernism
    Those blaming wokeness on Derrida or Foucault have totally misunderstood their work.
    Patrick West"

https://www.spiked-online.com/2023/04/15/in-defence-of-postmodernism/

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Okay Grandad.
    No, it's actually shite. Listen to it, I stick my Spotify onto discovery mode a lot and it's all just bland and samey. Bands seem to be writing their music to win at TikTok which means attempting to go viral and that's basically just doing exactly what the TikTok algorithm asks for.

There's been so few genuinely brilliant bands/artists in the last 5-7 or so years. Music reflects how people live, young people especially since new artists are generally fairly young and it's all bland because the youth of today is dull. They don't drink, they don't so drugs, they talk endlessly about "worthy" causes and live for social media likes. My younger cousins all have at least two of those four traits and most have three or all of them.
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Och and ahahahahha

JEWELLERY??

I am reminded of a chap I knew, years ago, from work

After having a go at me, because I had embarrassed him by (kinda accidentally) making his incompetence known, including an expenses audit... my boss stepped in and made sure he (the arsehole) had his expenses audited in turn.

A six figure job - big money back then - and he's been fiddling cab fares. They found that lots of his cab receipts were in the same handwriting, and on the same receipt pads.

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Interesting how tastes differ. I've always thought The Libertines were a load of unadulterated crap. 'Can't Stand Me Now' is passable but really the only vaguely decent thing they ever did.
    I think whether or not you like them isn't necessarily a big deal. It's undeniable they kicked off the indie band revolution which shifted us from Blue and Oasis to the Arctic Monkeys and The Kaiser Chiefs.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

pigeon said:

pigeon said:

pigeon said:

I just can't see it. Of course it is possible but it will take a unique combo of political genius and perfect political circumstance. Looking back, for Scottish Indy that was probably 2014 under Alex Salmond

Now we have all witnessed the bitterness and pain of Brexit (even if you believe in it, which I do) and it will make the nervous shy away. My guess is that Sindy is over for a decade at least, perhaps forever. Breaking up is hard to do
    If I had to define the current political age I would say that it is defined by a growing dissatisfaction with the status quo, and resulting political instability. This political instability has resulted in all sorts of major and minor unlikely things, from Trump, Brexit, Macron, to Corbyn's comeback during the 2017GE campaign, the future likely Sinn Fein government in Dublin, the support for the AfD in Germany, etc.

Scottish Independence would fit right in.
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Och and ahahahahha

JEWELLERY??

I, for one, believe there is zero connection between recent events being upcoming and the decision to resign. None. Zilch.
    I, for one, believe that Sturgeon is completely innocent. Indeed, that she has no connection with, or knowledge of connection with any political party. Nor has she any connection to, or knowledge of a connection to Peter Murrell.

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Yeah, Fleetwood Mac were absolutely incredible, hence being bitter 20 years later about missing them when they were still really amazing and not old and now permanently missing a band member. My dad said they did a two and a half hour set that night too as it was their last evening in London for a really long time. Rumours is probably one of the single best end to end albums of all time, it's just brilliant. The like of which I don't think we'll see again in music.
    Nope

There are albums from the Golden Era which will not be repeated

Dark Side of the Moon
    Rumours
    Exile on Main Street
    Sergeant Pepper
    Songs in the Key of Life
    Tapestry
    Thriller
    Blood on the Tracks
    Led Zep IV
    Stone Roses
    etc etc etc

and so on and so forth, We could all add 50 of our own. But it was definitely a golden era and it is most unlikely to be repeated. We are like Italians looking at Giotto and Mantegna and the Sistine Ceiling and the works of Da Vinci and the Stanzas of Raphael and the late era of Titian, Tintoretto and Veronese and kinda hoping all that will carry on, or it will come back. It did not come back
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Nope

Dark Side of the Moon
    Rumours
    Exile on Main Street
    Sergeant Pepper
    Songs in the Key of Life
    Tapestry
    Thriller
    Blood on the Tracks
    Led Zep IV
    Stone Roses
    etc etc etc

and so on and so forth, We could all add 50 of our own. But it was definitely a golden era and it is most unlikely to be repeated. We are like Italians looking at Giotto and Mantegna and the Sistine Ceiling and the works of Da Vinci and the Stanzas of Raphael and the late era of Titian, Tintoretto and Veronese and kinda hoping all that will carry on, or it will come back. It did not come back
    From the 00s era I'd add Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not as it's an absolutely amazing end to end listen and I'd stick in Is This It, another brilliant end to end album. My wife and I love to sit and listen to both from beginning to end.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677
    edited April 2023
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

My tank ID is bad, but claimed to be a photo of a T-55 in use by Russian forces in Ukraine.

This is one aspect of the "stalemate" narrative that is worth considering. How long can Russia maintain a stalemate without extensive external support? Can they last as long as the inauguration of the next US President in January 2025, in the hope that it will be Trump and the support for Ukraine will stop?

That’s a T-55 - five wheels rather than six on more modern T62 and T72 tanks. The Russians have a few hundred of them in various states of storage, there have already been stories of good ones raided from museums to be prepared for battle.

The NATO tanks that will be going up against them, are somewhat better.
    That's great. However........ does Ukraine have sufficient control of the skies and will it be enough to push all the way to the sea of Azov cutting the land bridge? It would be an awful shame if the advance peters out because we weren't prepared to provide fighter jets and ATACMS. I still haven't seen an explanation for that other than the dangerous escalation answer.
    There are air defence systems included in the military aid. The Russians have basically stopped flying in Ukraine now, because half of their losses of aircraft have been from friendly fire, with the Russian forces unable to distinguish a Russian MiG-29 or Su-27, from a Ukranian MiG-29 or Su-27. ATACMS is there, but being used sparingly as they’re expensive and rare. The land route to Crimea is not safe for the Russians, and they know it.
    There are no ATACMS in Ukraine - it's a hard no from Biden. I bet he'd give them to the 26 counties if they asked.

Both sides are doing very limited air ops. AFU flying around at 50' AGL in Frogfoots and Hips to no particular effect. RF are mainly doing high altitude CAP over their own territory waiting for the occasional lucky Adder shot.

Both sides are also getting very good at drone countermeasures (the Russians have either reversed engineered the specs or have somebody inside DJI) so even they are getting less useful. It's turning into WW1 but with Telegram.
    edited April 2023
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Okay Grandad.
    No, it's actually shite. Listen to it, I stick my Spotify onto discovery mode a lot and it's all just bland and samey. Bands seem to be writing their music to win at TikTok which means attempting to go viral and that's basically just doing exactly what the TikTok algorithm asks for.

There's been so few genuinely brilliant bands/artists in the last 5-7 or so years. Music reflects how people live, young people especially since new artists are generally fairly young and it's all bland because the youth of today is dull. They don't drink, they don't so drugs, they talk endlessly about "worthy" causes and live for social media likes. My younger cousins all have at least two of those four traits and most have three or all of them.
    Music has been rubbish since about 1999 in my opinion. Difficult to think of more than 2 or 3 outstanding songs since then.
  • WestieWestie Posts: 426
    pigeon said:

pigeon said:

Well, what a surprise...

Rishi Sunak is considering cutting inheritance tax at the next election, according to people familiar

Senior Tories think this could be the secret weapon to close the polls

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1647148180000374787

I said not long ago that if I were in the Tories' place I'd scrap IHT and knock a couple of pence off the basic rate of income tax in the 2024 budget, then ask the King to dissolve Parliament and go to the country shortly afterwards. If they're somehow going to win the next election, two essential elements are going to be Labour's failings (offering more of the same, poorly disguised behind token reforms,) and tax cuts targeted at core and floating voters.

I was surprised to see the polling suggests that inheritance tax isn’t popular: https://www.kingsleynapley.co.uk/our-news/press-releases/yougov-poll-shows-majority-support-raising-iht-threshold-above-325k-despite-eyewatering-public-finance-decisions-ahead

Less than 4% of deaths lead to inheritance tax being paid: https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/inheritance-tax-statistics-commentary/inheritance-tax-statistics-commentary It is a tax mainly paid by the very wealthy.
    You would think that soaking the rich would be popular - and if you're talking about something like applying sumptuary rates of VAT to luxury spending then it might gain some traction - but this is a country completely obsessed with property and there's a powerful "don't you touch my f***ing house!" kneejerk reflex built into the electorate.

Generally speaking, people like the Government to spend more cash on things they approve of, but only if it is raised from other people (typically classed as either the very rich/bankers, or all people who earn at least £1 a year more than they do.) However, the hatred of IHT amongst a lot of voters appears so intense that they want the threshold raised even though this can only benefit the very well off - until it only applies to truly vast estates, or for it to be done away with entirely. It's quite something.
    Some voters are aware, though, that owners of vast estates tend to arrange their affairs so as to avoid IHT.
  • swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,463
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

B Johnson managed it in 2019...
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,168
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Nope

Dark Side of the Moon
    Rumours
    Exile on Main Street
    Sergeant Pepper
    Songs in the Key of Life
    Tapestry
    Thriller
    Blood on the Tracks
    Led Zep IV
    Stone Roses
    etc etc etc

From the 00s era I'd add Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not as it's an absolutely amazing end to end listen and I'd stick in Is This It, another brilliant end to end album. My wife and I love to sit and listen to both from beginning to end.
    You like to wake up to the Arctic Monkeys?
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,168
    The Libertines were largely crap, despite the slavering from NME etc et the time.

The 2000s indie boomlet was actually kicked off by the Strokes (Is This It?, July 2001).
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,341
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Taylor Swift - the beautiful mouthpiece of Aaron Dessner (of The National).
  • WillGWillG Posts: 2,366
    Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Okay Grandad.

Music has been rubbish since about 1999 in my opinion. Difficult to think of more than 2 or 3 outstanding songs since then.
    Thinking today's music is rubbish is just a sign you have got old and are now out of touch with modern youth culture. Every generation does it, as a new zeitgest arrives and it's too far removed from the one you knew for you to understand it.
  • WillGWillG Posts: 2,366
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

That’s a T-55 - five wheels rather than six on more modern T62 and T72 tanks. The Russians have a few hundred of them in various states of storage, there have already been stories of good ones raided from museums to be prepared for battle.

The NATO tanks that will be going up against them, are somewhat better.
    That's great. However........ does Ukraine have sufficient control of the skies and will it be enough to push all the way to the sea of Azov cutting the land bridge? It would be an awful shame if the advance peters out because we weren't prepared to provide fighter jets and ATACMS. I still haven't seen an explanation for that other than the dangerous escalation answer.
    There are air defence systems included in the military aid. The Russians have basically stopped flying in Ukraine now, because half of their losses of aircraft have been from friendly fire, with the Russian forces unable to distinguish a Russian MiG-29 or Su-27, from a Ukranian MiG-29 or Su-27. ATACMS is there, but being used sparingly as they’re expensive and rare. The land route to Crimea is not safe for the Russians, and they know it.
    There are no ATACMS in Ukraine - it's a hard no from Biden. I bet he'd give them to the 26 counties if they asked.

Both sides are doing very limited air ops. AFU flying around at 50' AGL in Frogfoots and Hips to no particular effect. RF are mainly doing high altitude CAP over their own territory waiting for the occasional lucky Adder shot.

Both sides are also getting very good at drone countermeasures (the Russians have either reversed engineered the specs or have somebody inside DJI) so even they are getting less useful. It's turning into WW1 but with Telegram.
    Consider how WW1 worked out for Germany.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 22,015
    Always remember the trend is your friend.

Lets says the next six Opinion polls have Labour leading by 12, 14, 10, 12, 10, 8...

Where's the direction of travel???? ;)
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 22,015
    LOL! P45's handed out at the BBC

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11976973/Top-BBC-presenters-including-Huw-Edwards-Sophie-Raworth-redundancy-letters.html

Would the last person out of the BBC (probably Leftie Linekar) please turn out the lights :D
  • DialupDialup Posts: 561
    Just a quick one. Isn’t the right to protest a hugely important right, why are these people being arrested for protesting something they disagree with?

I happen to hate horse racing and whilst I don’t agree with how this protest happened, I think arresting people is rather wicked.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,961

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

I saw her dad, Pops. Borderline, Charing Cross Road. Spur of the moment thing.

Referenced here. (Although I think it was 1988-89 rather than mid-80's.)

https://theimmortaljukebox.com/2016/12/30/pop-staples/
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,698
    Dialup said:

Just a quick one. Isn’t the right to protest a hugely important right, why are these people being arrested for protesting something they disagree with?

I happen to hate horse racing and whilst I don’t agree with how this protest happened, I think arresting people is rather wicked.

Because they were causing an obstruction. Which is not just a protest. If they had just been holding up banners outside the racecourse that they would have been allowed to continue doing that.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,645
    edited April 2023
    Dialup said:

Because tens of thousands of people went to Aintree to watch a horse race, and these people were on the racecourse itself, trying to prevent the horse race from happening.

They’re free to protest, but not in a way that disrupts the event. 118 arrests so far, according to Merseyside Police, both at Aintree and at a protest on the M57 motorway.
    Dialup said:

I've been arrested on non-violent direct actions in the past and we all knew that we would be arrested. Being arrested was sort of the point, although if there had been enough people on the action who were prepared to be arrested, then the police's capacity to arrest everyone would be exhausted.

Being arrested meant that these protesters received more media coverage than if they had only stood outside the racecourse with a few placards. They knew what they were doing.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,645
    edited April 2023
    Leon said:

At the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, they always have after-race concerts, and they spend millions on the artists, you know there will be at least one international A-list act. The thing is, that you don’t know who will be performing at the concerts when you buy a ticket to the Grand Prix, they’re only announced a few weeks beforehand. I’ve seen everyone from Paul McCartney, to Kylie Minogue, to Rhianna, to Eminem. The one year I didn’t go - Prince.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,829
    Leon said:

Och and ahahahahha

JEWELLERY??

Maybe a gift for the French diplomat girlfriend?
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,573
    Good morning, everyone.

Football: Napoli only drew at home versus Verona. Would've got nice odds on that but the idea of backing it was never something I considered.

Netflix: I see they've decided to create a documentary about Cleopatra. And think that she was black.

Right... I mean, she was Macedonian (ultra-Macedonian thanks to the Ptolemy love of incest). But there we are.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,883

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

All utter bollocks, of course, but then I think that about all religions.
    They are all bollocks and all not bollocks if you believe.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,883
    Leon said:

She's going daaaaaaaaaahn
    'Doooooon' under the circumstances seems more appropriate.
This discussion has been closed.