Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Falling LAB poll shares in January sees Electoral Calculus

SystemSystem Posts: 11,711
edited February 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Falling LAB poll shares in January sees Electoral Calculus cut the party’s projected majority by 6 seats

“Most pollsters measured a small decrease in Labour’s lead over the Conservatives in January. But they also showed an increase in both the smaller parties’ vote, at the expense of themajor parties. However the pollsters are relatively divided about UKIP.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    The Tories only need to convince one voter in 200 each month to the election that they are worth re-electing. Doesn't sound out of reach...
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

The Tories only need to convince one voter in 200 each month to the election that they are worth re-electing. Doesn't sound out of reach...

They spent a decade in the 30-33% band.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018

While at the same time not losing a single voter to another party.
  • Options

They spent a decade in the 30-33% band.

But Labour isn't exactly led by Tony Blair now, is it?

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    I am sure Rod Crosby is predicting a Tory majority of 400 ! Dr, Fisher of Oxford's prediction says the Conservatives have a probability of 99.9999% of winning a majority.
  • Options
    Is UKIP replacing the Tory party ?
  • Options
    GildasGildas Posts: 92
    Dave split the right. First Tory ever to do that. Well done that man. Cretin.
  • Options
    Ed Miliband's latest policy: Keep stumm !
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,927
    Looks like swing back is occurring all-be-it slightly at this early stage. Will gather pace through the year and particularly after the Euro elections are out of the way.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Looks like swing back is occurring all-be-it slightly at this early stage. Will gather pace through the year and particularly after the Euro elections are out of the way.

Yup. Definitely swinging to the right - that is to UKIP !
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited February 2014
    According to ITV Wales political editor, Cynon Valley CLP has suspended the reselection trigger ballot this week. A statement clarifying the situation is expected on Monday according to the email sent by CLP Secretary to members.

Could it be announcement of retirement from Ann Clwyd?

• Options
    surbiton said:

Yup. Definitely swinging to the right - that is to UKIP !

But those UKIP voters will be disproportionately from Labour.

Going to be an interesting post mortem for the parties of the Coalition AND the official Opposition.

The party conferences are going to be a hoot as parties set out their stall for the election. The Stumm Manifesto might not survive the autumn.

I still take the view that the 2015 election campaign could unravel spectacularly badly for Labour. 15%-20% chance of it being a train wreck that historians will pore over for decades to come.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Remember that the Tories most likely need lead of 4% on national vote share to win most seats.

• Options

I don't understand your maths here. 15 months to go that's 3000 in each constituency. A big ask.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited February 2014

GIN1138 said:

Remember that the Tories most likely need lead of 4% on national vote share to win most seats.

As long as the Tories get most votes and Labour fails to get a majority it probably means Cameron remaining in Downing Street, if you assume the LDs will continue to support the party that tops the popular vote.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

According to ITV Wales political editor, Cynon Valley CLP has suspended the reselection trigger ballot this week. A statement clarifying the situation is expected on Monday according to the email sent by CLP Secretary to members.

Could it be announcement of retirement from Ann Clwyd?

She probably will retire IMO — she'd be 83 at the end of the 2015-20 Parliament.
  • Options
    @Andy

I agree that that's the likely explanation
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,905
    Think LDs will support party with most seats so bad news for the blues methinks
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

For those who still think UKIP are racist. Here is a photo of the UKIP Croydon Team. pic.twitter.com/ORrChxy6Is

— Roger (@rog_ukip) February 2, 2014
  • Options
    Chipping Barnet MP Theresa Villiers was reselected a couple of days ago:

http://www.theresavilliers.co.uk/article/?id=667
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,107
    MikeK said:

For those who still think UKIP are racist. Here is a photo of the UKIP Croydon Team. pic.twitter.com/ORrChxy6Is

I don't think you need to have a degree in forensics, to see that's Photoshopped

• Options
    AndyJS said:

GIN1138 said:

As long as the Tories get most votes and Labour fails to get a majority it probably means Cameron remaining in Downing Street, if you assume the LDs will continue to support the party that tops the popular vote.
    If we are talking about the LD's getting as few as 40 seats, it is unlikely that there will enough Lib-Con MPs to form a government. If Clegg insists, he might get the push !
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    The Tories aren't even expecting to win a majority. You can see this from where their limited campaigning is being conducted. I am amazed that the press and posters on here are gullible enough to believe that Cameron even expects that it is possible to win a majority.

• Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312
    AndyJS said:

GIN1138 said:

Ooh, I dunno.

UKIP are likely to out poll the LibDems in the popular vote, thus putting the whole logic of your argument into question.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MikeK said:

I don't think you need to have a degree in forensics, to see that's Photoshopped

Firstly, I think you mean forensic science. Forensic is just an adjective meaning "of the forum" i.e. the court.

Secondly, why the surprise? The UKIP candidate in the Croydon North by-election was a Black Pentecostal preacher. Much mirth has been had at the expense of UKIP over their Oxfordshire councillor, but Black and African churches take this stuff very seriously indeed.

I'm not the least bit surprised at the photo.

Incidentally, Mr. I'm-in-favour-of-free-borders, how many BME LibDem MPs are there?
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/10612451/Currency-crisis-at-Chinese-banks-could-trigger-global-meltdown.html

Banksters starting to worry the Chinese will eventually nationalize all the capital the banksters looted from Britain and America.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Wall Street Journal reporting actor Philip Seymour Hoffman found dead.
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

UKIP are likely to out poll the LibDems in the popular vote, thus putting the whole logic of your argument into question.

Looks like PR in some form or other will be the hot topic after the next election. Especially if Scotland votes for independence, you could see Labour in rUK advocating it to try and get a bit of access to power in London. UKIP would see it as the way to remedy the injustice of millions of votes and a handful to no seats. Hard to see the LibDems changing tack and suddenly seeing the benefits of FPTP.

Which will just leave the Tories wondering if they can get a majority on FPTP with UKIP splitting the vote on the right. Whereas with PR, there might be a way to work only with UKIP to lock the other parties out.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,087
    Ninoinoz said:

rcs1000 said:

MikeK said:

Firstly, I think you mean forensic science. Forensic is just an adjective meaning "of the forum" i.e. the court.

Secondly, why the surprise? The UKIP candidate in the Croydon North by-election was a Black Pentecostal preacher. Much mirth has been had at the expense of UKIP over their Oxfordshire councillor, but Black and African churches take this stuff very seriously indeed.

I'm not the least bit surprised at the photo.

Incidentally, Mr. I'm-in-favour-of-free-borders, how many BME LibDem MPs are there?

Wasn't Priti Patel's father a UKIP candidate in Hertfordshire?

• Options
    Sarah Newton reselected by Tories in Truro & Falmouth:

http://www.trurofalmouthconservatives.co.uk/news/sarah-newton-mp-re-adopted

LD candidate = Simon Rix, Lab = Hanna Toms, Ind = Loic Rich.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
  • Options
    Carola said:

I remember his excellent performance in The Talented Mr Ripley.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    AndyJS said:

Carola said:

I remember his excellent performance in The Talented Mr Ripley.
    A great actor. Has been reported before but turned out to be a hoax. Seems not this time.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304626804579358943360702878?mod=WSJ_LatestHeadlines&mg=reno64-wsj&url=http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304626804579358943360702878.html?mod=WSJ_LatestHeadlines
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010
    Any sunday polls out ?
  • Options
    MrJones said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/10612451/Currency-crisis-at-Chinese-banks-could-trigger-global-meltdown.html

Banksters starting to worry the Chinese will eventually nationalize all the capital the banksters looted from Britain and America.

So, are 'banksters' concerned that the Chinese government will take ownership of all those US Treasuries and British Gilts that are currently in the country? Nope: that won't be it, as the Chinese government is already the entity that owns the Treasuries.

What capital do you think the "banksters" have in China?
  • Options
    perdix said:
    That could backfire on the LDs.

• Options
    MrJones said:
    probably ants

as according to the BBC and political class there isn't a gang culture
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

1. I don't know.
    2. I don't care.
    3. Why would you even think I would care?

Tell me Mr Ninioiz, how many members of Shropshire Women's Association have science degrees?

Do you care about that?

Thought not.

Why would you think I would care about the ethnicity of the (soon to be diminished) Liberal Democrat parliamentary party?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Carola said:

That's dreadful. He's one of my favourite actors
  • Options
    RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman. One of the few actors whose mere presence in a film made me want to go and see it. One of the true greats of the last couple of decades. :-(

At 46 far far too young to be passing.
  • Options

RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman. One of the few actors whose mere presence in a film made me want to go and see it. One of the true greats of the last couple of decades. :-(

Very sad news: he was awesome in Capote
  • Options
    MrJones said:

MrJones said:
    probably ants

Yes, apparently there were no gangs (nor knife carrying young men) in the UK until the banksters opened the borders and let in people who weren't white.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Surbiton

'If we are talking about the LD's getting as few as 40 seats, it is unlikely that there will enough Lib-Con MPs to form a government. If Clegg insists, he might get the push !'

The Lib Dems that might want to give Clegg the push have already switched to Labour.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005

perdix said:

O/T - Libdems to target E European voters. Don't tell Nigel!
    http://www.libdemvoice.org/opinion-eastern-europeans-hold-the-key-to-the-european-elections-
    38045.html

It's not a bad idea. There's obviously a niche of 15-20% of voters who are strongly pro-EU, and it makes sense for the Lib Dems to go after them.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,632
    edited February 2014
    Utterly gutted about Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Out of all his roles, I loved his role as Gust, in Charlie Wilson's War.

This scene is NSFW or if you have kids/people who are easily offended in earshot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ_4m2ocxhI
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,030
    edited February 2014
    rcs1000 said:

Very sad news: he was awesome in Capote
    He was brilliant in Almost Famous as well. One of my favourite films. So many great character parts he played. :-(
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,014
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:
    probably ants

Yes, apparently there were no gangs (nor knife carrying young men) in the UK until the banksters opened the borders and let in people who weren't white.
    Anything except discuss the problem that exists today within three miles of Westminster and Broadcasting House.
  • Options
    On topic isn't Martin Baxter's figures flawed, if he's only using the ICM Wisdom Index poll for the Sunday Telegraph, and not the Guardian ICM phone poll?
  • Options
    MrJones said:

rcs1000 said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:
    probably ants

Anything except discuss the problem that exists today within three miles of Westminster and Broadcasting House.
    I thought Robert was discussing it. He is just doing so in terms you don't like and has the audacity to point out some of the logical inconsistencies in your argument.
  • Options

MrJones said:

rcs1000 said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:
    probably ants

I thought Robert was discussing it. He is just doing so in terms you don't like and has the audacity to point out some of the logical inconsistencies in your argument.
    Did i say there never used to be gang problems?

I said the BBC and political class are ignoring the current gang problem.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

perdix said:

O/T - Libdems to target E European voters. Don't tell Nigel!
    http://www.libdemvoice.org/opinion-eastern-europeans-hold-the-key-to-the-european-elections-
    38045.html

It's not a bad idea. There's obviously a niche of 15-20% of voters who are strongly pro-EU, and it makes sense for the Lib Dems to go after them.

Pro-EU brits yes. But pursuing non-UK EU nationals can start to look like being anti-British-voters.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    MrJones said:

MrJones said:

rcs1000 said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:
    probably ants

Sometimes this so easy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25974360

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25968512

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-25684976

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15238377

There are more links I could post, but 3 of them are from the last few days.

Perhaps you've placed a semantic burden on the English language than it can deal with, with your definition of ignore.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

rcs1000 said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:
    probably ants

You must live in a different world to me. Twenty years ago, I would have been scared to walk the streets of Hoxton or Shoreditch or Mile End. Parts of Camden were really scary after dark. Denmark Hill and large chunks of south London were no go areas to white middle class kids.

That's simply not the case any more. I simply can't think of anywhere within three miles of Broadcasting House that I would be scared to walk through at 9pm at night.
  • Options

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

rcs1000 said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:
    probably ants

Sometimes this so easy

Perhaps you've placed a semantic burden on the English language than it can deal with, with your definition of ignore.
    "Sexual violence in gang neighbourhoods is 'like that in war zones' with girls as young as 11 being groomed and raped...Warning came following shocking Children's Commissioner report"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2513653/Sexual-violence-gang-neighbourhoods-like-war-zones-girls-young-11-groomed-raped.html

The more it's talked about the harder it is for the BBC and political class to ignore.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    MrJones said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

rcs1000 said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:
    probably ants

Sometimes this so easy

"Sexual violence in gang neighbourhoods is 'like that in war zones' with girls as young as 11 being groomed and raped...Warning came following shocking Children's Commissioner report"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2513653/Sexual-violence-gang-neighbourhoods-like-war-zones-girls-young-11-groomed-raped.html

The more it's talked about the harder it is for the BBC and political class to ignore.
    So when you said the BBC were ignoring it, you hadn't checked the facts or lying, I will let other PBers decide.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MrJones said:

rcs1000 said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:
    probably ants

You must live in a different world to me. Twenty years ago, I would have been scared to walk the streets of Hoxton or Shoreditch or Mile End. Parts of Camden were really scary after dark. Denmark Hill and large chunks of south London were no go areas to white middle class kids.

That's simply not the case any more. I simply can't think of anywhere within three miles of Broadcasting House that I would be scared to walk through at 9pm at night.
    There's a few points that could be made to that but the critical one you hint at yourself - the age group that makes up 80% of the victims.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MrJones said:

rcs1000 said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:
    probably ants

Camden is pretty scary when the sales/new season are on at Camden Market.

Trying to get a taxi around there can be like the first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Ninoinoz said:

Tell me Mr Ninioiz, how many members of Shropshire Women's Association have science degrees?

Do you care about that?

Thought not.
    Are the Shropshire Women's Association in Government at the moment?
    rcs1000 said:

Ninoinoz said:

Why would you think I would care about the ethnicity of the (soon to be diminished) Liberal Democrat parliamentary party?
    Do you have any former LibDem councillors in your family?
  • Options

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

rcs1000 said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:
    probably ants

Sometimes this so easy

So when you said the BBC were ignoring it, you hadn't checked the facts or lying, I will let other PBers decide.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2004/apr/04/ukcrime.ameliahill
  • Options
    MrJones said:

There's a few points that could be made to that but the critical one you hint at yourself - the age group that makes up 80% of the victims.

The crucial one is the simplest: it is simply a lot safer to walk around those neighbourhoods than it used to be.

You can see this in the BCS data. You can see this in the drop offs in murder rates. You can see this in the collapse in knife crime cases at the Royal Free and the Royal London.

Alternatively, you can live in la-la land, where everything gets worse all the time.
  • Options

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

rcs1000 said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:
    probably ants

Sometimes this so easy

The BBC has a ignoble record of ignoring child rape, has it not, Mr. Eagles?
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

rcs1000 said:

Ninoinoz said:

Do you care about that?

Thought not.
    rcs1000 said:

Ninoinoz said:

Oh - is political allegiance inherited? Perhaps there's some genetic trait that correlates with LibDem-erry?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MrJones said:

The crucial one is the simplest: it is simply a lot safer to walk around those neighbourhoods than it used to be.

You can see this in the BCS data. You can see this in the drop offs in murder rates. You can see this in the collapse in knife crime cases at the Royal Free and the Royal London.

Alternatively, you can live in la-la land, where everything gets worse all the time.
    It is if you're not 11-18 any more.
  • Options
    When I grew up in a market town in the late 70s and 80s there is no way I would have walked through town on most nights as gangs and violence were real issue. That has steadily improved irrespective of which political party has been in power over the last 25 years or so.

Nottingham was notorious for gang and gun violence in the 80s and 90s and was known as the gun capital of the UK. It has radically improved now.

Of course there are gang violence problems still and it is perfectly possible there may be sections of our communities who are more prone to them. But the idea that gang violence is worse now than it was a couple of decades ago and that this can be laid at the feet of particular ethnic groups certainly doesn't match my reality and from what I have heard from talking to others they feel the same.
  • Options
    I've spotted a new meme amongst the political commentators.

Following on from the Spectator's piece the other day The Tory rebels have two choices: shut up or lose the election, Adam Boulton in his column in the Sunday Times today, remembers Sir Geoffrey Howe's comment and updates it for Dave, saying it is like

"It is rather like sending your Captain to the crease, only for him to find, as the first balls are being bowled, that his bat has been broken before the game by some of his own team"
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,087
    Ninoinoz said:

rcs1000 said:

Ninoinoz said:

Do you care about that?

Thought not.
    rcs1000 said:

Ninoinoz said:

I've a current one in mine. In Scotland, too!
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

rcs1000 said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:
    probably ants

Sometimes this so easy

We're talking about gangs.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Ninoinoz said:

rcs1000 said:

Ninoinoz said:

Do you care about that?

Thought not.
    rcs1000 said:

Ninoinoz said:

Oh - is political allegiance inherited? Perhaps there's some genetic trait that correlates with LibDem-erry?
    God, I hope not, my mother voted Lib Dem at the last General Election, as she liked that nice Mr Clegg.
  • Options

When I grew up in a market town in the late 70s and 80s there is no way I would have walked through town on most nights as gangs and violence were real issue. That has steadily improved irrespective of which political party has been in power over the last 25 years or so.

Nottingham was notorious for gang and gun violence in the 80s and 90s and was known as the gun capital of the UK. It has radically improved now.

Of course there are gang violence problems still and it is perfectly possible there may be sections of our communities who are more prone to them. But the idea that gang violence is worse now than it was a couple of decades ago and that this can be laid at the feet of particular ethnic groups certainly doesn't match my reality and from what I have heard from talking to others they feel the same.

"Nottingham was notorious for gang and gun violence in the 80s and 90s and was known as the gun capital of the UK. It has radically improved now."

That's how it works. Media and political class admit a problem exists - police deal with it. Media and political class won't admit a problem exists - police don't deal with it.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Ninoinoz said:

rcs1000 said:

Ninoinoz said:

Do you care about that?

Thought not.
    rcs1000 said:

Ninoinoz said:

I always knew all that Libertarian rubbish you spouted was just a smoke screen for your deeply statist views that were beaten into you by your father :-)
  • Options
    MrJones said:

"Nottingham was notorious for gang and gun violence in the 80s and 90s and was known as the gun capital of the UK. It has radically improved now."

That's how it works. Media and political class admit a problem exists - police deal with it. Media and political class won't admit a problem exists - police don't deal with it.
    Funny, there was me thinking that the Police dealt with crimes as they were reported to them by the public rather than watching the 6 O'clock News and seeing an item and deciding they ought to go and investigate.

Do they have special teams who watch the local news so they can find out if any burglaries have been committed?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Ninoinoz said:

rcs1000 said:

Ninoinoz said:

Do you care about that?

Thought not.
    rcs1000 said:

Ninoinoz said:

Well, yes, actually. Just look at Northern Ireland and voting patterns in the rest of country. There's definitely a correlation.

What annoys me about you are your glib assertions about immigration when you are quite obviously White, Anglo-Saxon and Post-Christian (Protestant?).

Try being Italian and Catholic in this country, or any other racial and religious minority, then perhaps you would have some experience of immigration from 'the other side'.

Something I've noticed is those most in favour of immigration are those who stand to benefit financially from it, but aren't affected by it. Hence my LibDem reference.
  • Options

MrJones said:

Funny, there was me thinking that the Police dealt with crimes as they were reported to them by the public rather than watching the 6 O'clock News and seeing an item and deciding they ought to go and investigate.

Do they have special teams who watch the local news so they can find out if any burglaries have been committed?
    If a certain chunk of crime doesn't officially exist - for example the grooming gangs - then if the police try and deal with it it's harassment. Only after the media or political class admit the problem exists - for example the Times reporting the grooming gangs - can senior plod risk their career dealing with it.
  • Options

Ninoinoz said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

rcs1000 said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:
    probably ants

Sometimes this so easy

OK, then.

The BBC has a ignoble record of ignoring child rape gangs, has it not, Mr. Eagles?
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

rcs1000 said:

Ninoinoz said:

rcs1000 said:

Ninoinoz said:

Do you care about that?

Thought not.
    rcs1000 said:

Ninoinoz said:

Well, yes, actually. Just look at Northern Ireland and voting patterns in the rest of country. There's definitely a correlation.

What annoys me about you are your glib assertions about immigration when you are quite obviously White, Anglo-Saxon and Post-Christian (Protestant?).

Try being Italian and Catholic in this country, or any other racial and religious minority, then perhaps you would have some experience of immigration from 'the other side'.

Something I've noticed is those most in favour of immigration are those who stand to benefit financially from it, but aren't affected by it. Hence my LibDem reference.
    I'm in favour of immigration, and I'm definitely not White, Anglo-Saxon or a Protestant.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,125

Totally agree.

I've walked thousands of miles around Britain. and hundreds of miles in cities, including some dodgy areas. I've never once felt endangered by anyone I've met.

Mind you, they probably feel endangered by this weird muddy, bearded bloke walking past the tower blocks and burnt-out cars with a large rucksack on his back ...

In the early 1990s I lived in the east end and south London. Again, I felt perfectly happy walking along the Regents Canal or down the Mile End road to Whitechapel, even late at night.

The fear of violence is rarely justified, and is always pernicious.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

MrJones said:

If a certain chunk of crime doesn't officially exist - for example the grooming gangs - then if the police try and deal with it it's harassment. Only after the media or political class admit the problem exists - for example the Times reporting the grooming gangs - can senior plod risk their career dealing with it.
    But that is an entirely different matter. Grooming is something that happens behind closed doors and is difficult to prove so understandably there are failings by the police. But you have been talking about gang violence and that is out there in the open. The idea that it is ignored by the police until such times as the media make a stink about it is ridiculous.

And moreover you cannot claim that the media have been ignoring grooming and then also claim that it is because of media reporting that the police do something about it. The two positions are logically incompatible.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Ninoinoz said:

Ninoinoz said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

rcs1000 said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:
    probably ants

Sometimes this so easy

OK, then.

The BBC has a ignoble record of ignoring child rape gangs, has it not, Mr. Eagles?
    No it doesn't , where is your evidence that it does ?
  • Options
    TwistedFireStopperTwistedFireStopper Posts: 2,538
    edited February 2014

I know a couple of armed response coppers, and they tell me that there's no real monopoly of gun, or indeed any weapon crime by ethnicity in our area. The only thing they do say is that the willingness to use and ferocity of that use, can be gauged a little by the heritage of the criminals involved. If they're going up against gangsters who have arrived fairly recently from a country with a violent criminal culture, say Albania or Somalia, they wouldn't be surprised to find a higher level of violent reaction from them.
    The guys and gal I know who are armed response reckon they get called out about twice every 3 days, and around once a month, will face a real danger from a knife. Guns, even as you say in Nottingham aren't the problem they used to be.

• Options
    Ninoinoz said:

I am sorry if I annoy you, but my political views are mine and mine alone. I don't identify with any one political party. Off the top of my head, I can think of things I agree with from UKIP (the tax paper on their website is excellent, and should be required reading for any one interested in how taxes affect the real economy), the Liberal Democrats (where I generally admire their - pre-Clegg, at least - civil liberties stance), and the Conservative Party. I'm sure, if I thought about it, I could find things that I liked about the Labour Party.

My view on immigration is terribly simple: it is a moral one. I don't believe that, just because I was born in Isleworth, West London, that I should have any say over who else lives on this sceptered Isle.

And, another thing, unlike most of the rest of this board, I did actually go to a sink comprehensive school, where more than 60% of the students did not speak English as a first language.

• Options

Ninoinoz said:

rcs1000 said:

Ninoinoz said:

rcs1000 said:

Ninoinoz said:

Do you care about that?

Thought not.
    rcs1000 said:

Ninoinoz said:

I'm in favour of immigration, and I'm definitely not White, Anglo-Saxon or a Protestant.
    Good for you!

At least you've good some experience of the immigration experience and also will face the consequences of renewed immigration.

I'm talking about the pressure put on mosques, muslim schools and languages difficulties.

The WASP I referred to lives oblivious to this all.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Reported Philip Seymour Hoffman died from heroin overdose.He had booked himself in for detox recently and was said to be "clean".If true his tolerance would have reduced so the same dosage he got high on when he was addicted would have killed his new "clean" body.Sadly I've seen this too often,mainly from people released from prison.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/03/movies/philip-seymour-hoffman-actor-dies-at-46.html?hp
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

Ninoinoz said:

rcs1000 said:

Ninoinoz said:

rcs1000 said:

Ninoinoz said:

Do you care about that?

Thought not.
    rcs1000 said:

Ninoinoz said:

Good for you!

At least you've good some experience of the immigration experience and also will face the consequences of renewed immigration.

I'm talking about the pressure put on mosques, muslim schools and languages difficulties.

Language difficulties? I can speak, inter alia, English, Urdu, Punjabi, German, French, Latin and Greek.

Is that what you meant?
  • Options

Ninoinoz said:

Ninoinoz said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

rcs1000 said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:
    probably ants

Sometimes this so easy

OK, then.

Panorama? Nick Griffin prosecution?

Ring any bells?
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

Ninoinoz said:

Ninoinoz said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

rcs1000 said:

Sometimes this so easy

OK, then.

Ring any bells?

Irrelevant - type in google search "BBC News child rape gangs" and you will see 1.27 million references to BBC news stories on cases in Derby , Rochdale , Oxford , Peterborough etc etc .
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

My view on immigration is terribly simple: it is a moral one. I don't believe that, just because I was born in Isleworth, West London, that I should have any say over who else lives on this sceptered Isle.

Do you believe you should have any say in who lives in your house or would you raise no objections if someone from a poorer area decided to move in with you ?
  • Options

But that is an entirely different matter. Grooming is something that happens behind closed doors and is difficult to prove so understandably there are failings by the police. But you have been talking about gang violence and that is out there in the open. The idea that it is ignored by the police until such times as the media make a stink about it is ridiculous.

And moreover you cannot claim that the media have been ignoring grooming and then also claim that it is because of media reporting that the police do something about it. The two positions are logically incompatible.

grooming gangs

1) The grooming gangs didn't happen behind closed doors.

2) Underage sex is not remotely hard to prove.

3) "The idea that it is ignored by the police until such times as the media make a stink about it is ridiculous."

Right, like FGM you mean or anything else that might tread on politically correct toes? Yes, totally ridiculous.

4) "And moreover you cannot claim that the media have been ignoring grooming and then also claim that it is because of media reporting that the police do something about it."

However I can say the media ignored (past tense) the grooming gangs until the Times broke the wall of silence over it *after* which the police made a shed-load of arrests very rapidly, funny that - almost like they knew who the baddies were already.

gang culture

5) Since the children's commissioner's report it [gang violence] has been out in the open followed by total silence from the political class.

6) We are now in a similar situation to the grooming gangs with the gang culture in the inner city. Little bits of the truth slipping out of some of the media but not enough so far to stop the political class ignoring it.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Ninoinoz said:

Ninoinoz said:

Ninoinoz said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

rcs1000 said:

Sometimes this so easy

OK, then.

Ring any bells?

Irrelevant - type in google search "BBC News child rape gangs" and you will see 1.27 million references to BBC news stories on cases in Derby , Rochdale , Oxford , Peterborough etc etc .
    Really? When I try that I only get BBC results for the first four hits and then it's other sites for the rest of the first page.

• Options

Ninoinoz said:

Ninoinoz said:

Ninoinoz said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

rcs1000 said:

Sometimes this so easy

OK, then.

Ring any bells?

How many from between the time it was first mentioned by Ann Cryer back in 2004 (IIRC) and the campaign by The Times?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Ninoinoz said:

Terribly simplistic, more like.

For starters, the UK is not an island.

We have a welfare state in this country, which is from the cradle to the grave. It simply isn't designed for movement of peoples between countries.

The mass movement of peoples causes violence. I'm sure our resident classicist Mr. Eagles could fill you in on the Helvetii and migrations in the late Roman Empire.

Also, your views are truly strange if you consider Israel's history in the 20th century.
    rcs1000 said:

Ninoinoz said:

And, another thing, unlike most of the rest of this board, I did actually go to a sink comprehensive school, where more than 60% of the students did not speak English as a first language.
    Unlike you, I have seen my old school plummet down the league tables due to their intake switching from 95% English-speaking to <50%. I also have been involved in founding three new schools to cope with the influx. In the teeth of people who look and sound remarkably like you, in fact. LibDems in Richmond, to be precise.

You sound like you don't have any children. Is my guess accurate?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,427

Ninoinoz said:

Ninoinoz said:

rcs1000 said:

Ninoinoz said:

rcs1000 said:

Ninoinoz said:

Do you care about that?

Thought not.
    rcs1000 said:

Ninoinoz said:

Good for you!

Language difficulties? I can speak, inter alia, English, Urdu, Punjabi, German, French, Latin and Greek.

Is that what you meant?
    Latin would be very useful. You wouldn't want to end up like this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIAdHEwiAy8#t=118

Especially in Sheffield

• Options
    I have a theory that fear of crime is increased by all those downmarket women's magazines seen next to supermarket checkouts.

Not the ones which report the latest about Jordan and Peter but the ones with lurid headlines about murders and rapes.
  • Options

I have a theory that fear of crime is increased by all those downmarket women's magazines seen next to supermarket checkouts.

Not the ones which report the latest about Jordan and Peter but the ones with lurid headlines about murders and rapes.

11-18 (and their parents)
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Do you believe you should have any say in who lives in your house or would you raise no objections if someone from a poorer area decided to move in with you ?
    I believe in strong property rights.

So, I don't believe anyone can live in my home - because that home is owned by me.

But if a man from Romania can afford to buy a house (or rent a flat) then he should be able to live here.

It goes without saying that I am broadly in favour of the abolition of the welfare state.

My ideal vision for Britain can be summarised by the opening paragraph of AJP Taylor's Origin's of the First World War:

Until August 1914 a sensible, law-abiding Englishman could pass through life and hardly notice the existence of the state, beyond the post office and the policeman. He could live where he liked and as he liked. He had no official number or identity card. He could travel abroad or leave his country for ever without a passport or any sort of official permission. He could exchange his money for any other currency without restriction or limit. He could buy goods from any country in the world on the same terms as he bought goods at home. For that matter, a foreigner could spend his life in this country without permit and without informing the police. Unlike the countries of the European continent, the state did not require its citizens to perform military service. An Englishman could enlist, if he chose, in the regular army, the navy, or the territorials. He could also ignore, if he chose, the demands of national defence. Substantial householders were occasionally called on for jury service. Otherwise, only those helped the state who wished to do so. The Englishman paid taxes on a modest scale: nearly £200 million in 1913-14, or rather less than 8 per cent. of the national income.

I realise that my views are unlikely to be widely shared, and I do not expect them to be realised in my lifetime.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Ninoinoz said:

Ninoinoz said:

Ninoinoz said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

rcs1000 said:

Sometimes this so easy

OK, then.

Ring any bells?

Really? When I try that I only get BBC results for the first four hits and then it's other sites for the rest of the first page.

I get the first 24 results links directly to the BBC website .
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,030
    edited February 2014
    For rcs100

And this is where you and I disagree - and I would suspect most of the rest of the UK population would disagree with you as well.

This sceptered Isle (to use your phrase) should be regarded in the same way as ones house. It is something that has come to this point in its history - for better or worse - through the actions and beliefs of its inhabitants. It is the product of these people and their forebears. Therefore it seems reasonable to me that we should have the right to decide who enters and settles here.

As you know I have no problem with immigration in principle. I am interested only in the practical consequences of immigration and the impact it has on the existing population. Since I don't believe that controlled immigration significantly damages the heritage of our country I have no concerns about the colour or creed of the immigrants - as long as they abide by the laws and customs of what will become their adopted home. I also believe that past migration has had a neutral or positive effect on our country - certainly I don't see any great signs of damage being done to our country by pre 21st century migration.

I do however believe that the current mass migration is having an adverse effect on our country and particularly on our ability to provide acceptable levels of services such as education and health. I also believe that - as I think you accept - mass migration is totally incompatible with the current welfare state model. Now I am in favour of massively reducing the scope of the welfare state so that may not be such a problem for me personally. But I think that for most of the population a stark and clear choice between large numbers of migrants and the continuation of the welfare state is only ever going to result in one response. And it is not going to be the one that you agree with.

And I do believe fundamentally that that choice is one the existing population of any country have a right to make. The problem is that to a large extent the last government - knowing what the answer would be to that question - decided not to give people that choice and instead embarked on a policy of encouraging huge levels of immigration whilst at the same time denying it was happening or claiming that, if it was happening, it was a good thing and anyone who objected was a racist.

Now I disagree with MrJones position on immigration which does seem to me to involve making outrageous claims based on ethnicity which neither I nor the evidence can support. But at the same time I do understand how, given the record of the previous government when it came to deceiving the public over immigration, he finds it difficult to believe the official line these days. I think he is wrong and I have serious doubts about his motivation but I can see the reason for the distrust.
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

You sound like you don't have any children. Is my guess accurate?

You're not doing very well with guessing so far.

I have two children.

They go to a school where perhaps 40% of the parents are immigrants.

They're doing fine, thank you very much.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    DavidL said:

Ninoinoz said:

Ninoinoz said:

rcs1000 said:

Ninoinoz said:

rcs1000 said:

Ninoinoz said:

Do you care about that?

Thought not.
    rcs1000 said:

Ninoinoz said:

Good for you!

Is that what you meant?
    Latin would be very useful. You wouldn't want to end up like this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIAdHEwiAy8#t=118

Especially in Sheffield

Apparently, people have damaged ribs laughing when I start speaking Latin in my Yorkshire-Mancunian Hybrid accent.

Particularly when I said "e by gum, that's very Post Hoc Ergo propter hoc, innit"
This discussion has been closed.