Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The currency question just got harder for Yes this week

13»

Comments

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

taffys said:

Poor old gullible tory Eurosceptics. Will they ever learn?

So far, labour and the libs have managed to kill the referendum bill quietly. You're right that lobby obsessed news correspondents have concentrated on the splits rather than the politics and it is that which has made the news.

Cameron wants them to kill the bill noisily, in full view of an electorate than poll after poll says wants a referendum. Just ahead of an election.

He wants to make sure Ed is going into 2015 wearing a no referendum T shirt, rather than hiding behind a fudge.

It's not going to happen. The timings, as Dave knows, are all wrong. First of all, you have to get the legislation in the form of a private members bill through the Commons; then the Parliament Act only kicks in after 12 months. That is, if the government can invoke the act at all with regards to non-government legislation.

And, of course, only 130 Tory peers voted for the bill. There are 209 of them, If the Tories were really serious about this there may have been more of their supporters around to back it.

Cameron is posturing. And no more. What a surprise.
    You would think all the tory Eurosceptics would have caught on by now. Some have and won't give a damn what Cammie says anymore but the truth is most of them want to be fooled.
    They want to believe so badly every time they get marched up to the top of the hill. This time the posturing and Cast Iron Pledges will see off Farage and the kippers. Then they can finally get back to ranting about the EU and immigration without Farage spoiling it all by upstaging them and laughing at their puny efforts every single time.

It's tragic to see their eager little faces crushed when reality eventually and inevitably dawns on them and the words turn to dust. Funny yes, but still tragic.

There are 221 Tory peers with voting rights in the Lords. 147 of them voted for the referendum bill; three voted against; 71 did not bother to vote at all. If they had, the legislation would have passed. That's how serious the Tories were and are about this.

• Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530

or is it only the SNP view that matters?

So sorry, I didn't realise you were still enjoying being Balls mouthpiece so much.
    The story you eagerly keep pushing is "Back the Union to keep the pound, says Ed Balls"
    He'll be delighted that scottish tories now hang on his every word and think him a real economic sage.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

So sorry, I didn't realise you were still enjoying being Balls mouthpiece so much.
    The story you eagerly keep pushing is "Back the Union to keep the pound, says Ed Balls"
    He'll be delighted that scottish tories now hang on his every word and think him a real economic sage.
    No, the post you replied to was about Jim Sillars & Colin Fox saying that in the event of a 'Yes' vote the Scottish side in any negotiation must represent the views of the people of Scotland - not just those of the SNP.....and as both are in favour of a separate Scottish currency for a separate Scotland, it raises interesting questions on the topic of the thread which I know you would rather not talk about......

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Terry Henry losing no sleep

MARCA in English ‏@MARCAinENGLISH 4m

Spain in mourning after Luis Aragonés passes away http://ow.ly/taWUx
  • Options

Mick_Pork said:

taffys said:

So far, labour and the libs have managed to kill the referendum bill quietly. You're right that lobby obsessed news correspondents have concentrated on the splits rather than the politics and it is that which has made the news.

Cameron wants them to kill the bill noisily, in full view of an electorate than poll after poll says wants a referendum. Just ahead of an election.

He wants to make sure Ed is going into 2015 wearing a no referendum T shirt, rather than hiding behind a fudge.

It's not going to happen. The timings, as Dave knows, are all wrong. First of all, you have to get the legislation in the form of a private members bill through the Commons; then the Parliament Act only kicks in after 12 months. That is, if the government can invoke the act at all with regards to non-government legislation.

And, of course, only 130 Tory peers voted for the bill. There are 209 of them, If the Tories were really serious about this there may have been more of their supporters around to back it.

You would think all the tory Eurosceptics would have caught on by now. Some have and won't give a damn what Cammie says anymore but the truth is most of them want to be fooled.
    They want to believe so badly every time they get marched up to the top of the hill. This time the posturing and Cast Iron Pledges will see off Farage and the kippers. Then they can finally get back to ranting about the EU and immigration without Farage spoiling it all by upstaging them and laughing at their puny efforts every single time.

It's tragic to see their eager little faces crushed when reality eventually and inevitably dawns on them and the words turn to dust. Funny yes, but still tragic.

There are 221 Tory peers with voting rights in the Lords. 147 of them voted for the referendum bill; three voted against; 71 did not bother to vote at all. If they had, the legislation would have passed. That's how serious the Tories were and are about this.

The Tory leadership. The immigration Bill shambles does indicate that the tory whipping operation is less than optimal. To say the least.
  • Options
    isam said:
    Being able to speak more than one language is a tremendous skill to have. We need as many bilingual and trilingual people as possible. Speakers of Portuguese, Spanish, Chinese, Hindi, Punjabi etc will be a tremendous asset to us in the future. The key is to ensure that their English skills are up to scratch. By doing that we are making an investment that has the potential to reap significant rewards.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Mick_Pork said:

No, the post you replied to was
    From this story

"Back the Union to keep the pound, says Ed Balls"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/10611596/Back-the-Union-to-keep-the-pound-says-Ed-Balls.html

As I said.

Keep pushing Balls as an economic wise man as I'm quite sure that won't come back to haunt you. Repeatedly.

:)
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

From this story

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/10611596/Back-the-Union-to-keep-the-pound-says-Ed-Balls.html

As I said.

Keep pushing Balls as an economic wise man as I'm quite sure that won't come back to haunt you. Repeatedly.

As I said....anything but the topic of the thread.....

SNP only in negotiations, or others too?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,252
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

I think there is a remarkable lack of real politic about the discussions involving the currency and the LOLR.

London is greedy and ruthless. Ask its competitors in Paris and Frankfurt (if you can find them, I suggest you try Kensington). The idea that everything would simply carry on as before is completely naive. Case after case has shown that trade between countries that separate collapses. This would just be the start.

Would Scotland survive? Of course. But we already have an economy which is overweighted to the public sector, closer to France than the rest of the UK. The loss of such a major industry would be a terrible blow and make the financial constraints that rUK would impose on spending and borrowing as a condition of using the currency extremely hard to bear.

David, quoting bollocks again, it has been well shown that we have little or no more public sector than England. We will need financial institutions in Scotland when independent an dif the English ones move out it will be a good opportunity for new Scottish companies, so as per devolution going to impoverish us , the Torie shave the same old mantra on independence. Do you never question why we have more Pandas than Tory MP's.
    Malcolm, that is simply not true. Here are the stats from the Scottish government for Q3 of 2013: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Statistics/Browse/Labour-Market/TrendPublicSectorEmp

It says:

"There were 2,549,000 people employed in Scotland in Q3 2013, an increase of 74,600 (3.0%) over the year. In Q3 2013 public sector employment accounted for 22.7% of total employment, down from 23.5% in the previous year and the lowest proportion seen since the series began in 1999."

In the UK as a whole there are now just over 30m employed with just over 5m working in the public sector, so approximately 17%. We are going in the right direction but there is a long way to go and we are chasing a moving target.

David, i will accept your numbers but last data I saw did not have it as big a difference as that. I really doubt the difference is as big as that. If it was as big a difference why would we not have better public service given they would be awash with people.
  • Options

isam said:
    Being able to speak more than one language is a tremendous skill to have. We need as many bilingual and trilingual people as possible. Speakers of Portuguese, Spanish, Chinese, Hindi, Punjabi etc will be a tremendous asset to us in the future. The key is to ensure that their English skills are up to scratch. By doing that we are making an investment that has the potential to reap significant rewards.
    "Being able to speak more than one language is a tremendous skill to have"

That's true.. but you know as well as I do what the point is here... or do you think 11% (and rising no doubt) of children not having the language of the country they live in as first language is a good thing?
  • Options
    isam said:

Terry Henry losing no sleep

MARCA in English ‏@MARCAinENGLISH 4m

Spain in mourning after Luis Aragonés passes away http://ow.ly/taWUx

El Sabio de Hortaleza.

• Options

As I said....anything but the topic of the thread....

Difference is you've been spouting Balls and labour's spin for so long now you don't realise how meaningless your assertions are.
    Patrick said:

Trouble is the currency issue is a giant hairy gorilla in the corner...

Mick_Pork said:

It's really not. You think both campaigns don't know exactly where the scottish public rate certain issues as a priority they want more information on to decide how to vote? They do. Currency is rated 8th. Only ahead of the monarchy and the BBC as topics.

• Options

malcolmg said:

john_zims said:

@Mick_Pork

Assuming 'Yes' wins and currency union happens,Scotland will have a Governor from a foreign country controlling Scotland's monetary policy & a foreign Chancellor controlling Scotland's fiscal policy.

Where's the independence?

You mean like Germany , France , Italy , Spain , etc etc ad infinitum

To an extent. But lessons will also have been learned from what happened in the Eurozone when a crisis did erupt. These will be reflected in the final agreement.

SO , I was merely pointing out that based on his theory all of those countries would not be independent either, which to any sane person is stupid.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,876
    edited February 2014
    Mick_Pork said:

Difference is you've been spouting Balls and labour's spin for so long now you don't realise how meaningless your assertions are.
    Patrick said:

Mick_Pork said:

It's really not. You think both campaigns don't know exactly where the scottish public rate certain issues as a priority they want more information on to decide how to vote? They do. Currency is rated 8th. Only ahead of the monarchy and the BBC as topics.

Date of that research on salience of currency? And are the top issues affected by currency (in the same way that 'immigration' (high salience) is affected by 'EU Membership' (low salience).

• Options
    isam said:

isam said:

That's true.. but you know as well as I do what the point is here... or do you think 11% (and rising no doubt) of children not having the language of the country they live in as first language is a good thing?

As long as they speak and write this country's language fluently I see it as a major net gain. The challenge is to make sure that they do. I would like all kids to be able to be bilingual, at least.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,571

Mick_Pork said:

taffys said:

Are we back to Libya again? It is the tories fault because not enough of them voted the right way to defeat us?

The lack of acceptance of responsibility for their own votes in once again telling.

Not that Mick is not correct to point out how much damage the tory rebels in the HoC have once again done to the brand, their leader and the prospects of some of them keeping their jobs. There is at least an equal level of irresponsibility and maturity there.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

john_zims said:

@Mick_Pork

Assuming 'Yes' wins and currency union happens,Scotland will have a Governor from a foreign country controlling Scotland's monetary policy & a foreign Chancellor controlling Scotland's fiscal policy.

To an extent. But lessons will also have been learned from what happened in the Eurozone when a crisis did erupt. These will be reflected in the final agreement.

SO , I was merely pointing out that based on his theory all of those countries would not be independent either, which to any sane person is stupid.

I agree. Not having your own currency inevitably involves a significant ceding of sovereignty. It's silly to pretend otherwise.

• Options

malcolmg said:

Can anyone trumpeting the Ladbrokes odds on currency union post a link to the actual bet, not to a report of the press release? It doesn't seem to exist on their website...

I would imagine you could phone them and place a bet. I doubt they will be expecting many bets on it.
    From what I can see on google it was on their website and the terms were different from what you're quoting; the 1/100 was on Scotland using GBP on 1/1/16, NOT on there being a currency union.
    From the horses mouth so to speak

Press Release
    Press Releases

Wednesday 29th January 2014 | 16:26
    Ladbrokes: Scotland 1/100 to enter currency union - 50/1 not to

Ladbrokes press release

Scotland certs for currency union

Scotland are a racing certainty to form a currency union should they vote 'yes' to independence, according to Ladbrokes.

The book is now open on the prospects of the formation of the union, should Scotland break away from the rest of the UK and it's a near-certainty at 1/100 that they keep sterling, with 50/1 the price that any other currency, including the Euro, is used.

For context, Scotland are 50/1 to win the upcoming 6 Nations while 1/100 is the price Scotland would be to beat San Marino in an international football match.

Alex Donohue of Ladbrokes said: "It's about as uncompetitive as a betting contest can be. Punters would win a penny for ever pound staked on an independent Scotland sticking with sterling."

Ladbrokes latest betting

Scotland to form a currency union with the United Kingdom before the 31st of December 2015

Yes 1/100

No 50/1

Bets void if referendum outcome is 'no' to independence

Referendum outcome

Yes 7/2

No 1/5

http://www.politicshome.com/uk/article/92105/ladbrokes_scotland_1_100_to_enter_currency_union_50_1_not_to.html
  • Options
    @DavidL - I was merely pointing out that if the Tories had been really serious about this they would have put more effort into ensuring that they might win. They didn't, so we can draw the obvious conclusions.
  • Options

Mick_Pork said:

No, the post you replied to was about Jim Sillars & Colin Fox saying that in the event of a 'Yes' vote the Scottish side in any negotiation must represent the views of the people of Scotland - not just those of the SNP.....and as both are in favour of a separate Scottish currency for a separate Scotland, it raises interesting questions on the topic of the thread which I know you would rather not talk about......

So now its Jim Sillars and Colin Fox that are the views of the Scottish people. Think you will find neither are in office. They can run for election and if the real views of the Scottish people are what they spout then they will be elected and can implement their policy , that is what is called democracy.
  • Options

Mick_Pork said:

Patrick said:

Mick_Pork said:

Date of that research on salience of currency? And are the top issues affected by currency (in the same way that 'immigration' (high salience) is affected by 'EU Membership' (low salience).

November.

Date of this poll.
    SNP enjoy huge 19% lead over Labour in ICM poll

SNP 43%
    Labour 24%
    Conservatives 14%
    UKIP 7%
    Liberal Democrats 6%
    January. I'm afraid your economic guru Ed Balls won't have liked that one at all.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited February 2014
    Did Harry's by-election page only get one comment? Disappointing.

Doesn't seem to be linked to on the site now. I only found it through OGH's twitter page.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited February 2014

isam said:

isam said:

As long as they speak and write this country's language fluently I see it as a major net gain. The challenge is to make sure that they do. I would like all kids to be able to be bilingual, at least.
    Keep pounding isam. But you won't ever get Southam to admit the main point of your post is correct.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    malcolmg said:

Charles, that would be no bad thing and would mean we could have a real Scottish bank in Scotland rather than the carpetbaggers we have at present. I can only hope you are correct. I also think that the jobs would be replaced by real Scottish banking jobs as we would need that after the UK banks pulled out. Unless you believe that they could still hope to have branches and business in Scotland.

I see no reason to think that RBS, for example, would not remain a major player in the Scottish banking market.

The difference is that instead of 3,000 people in Edinburgh making decisions for RBS, NatWest and Citizens you would have - say - 500 making decisions for the Scottish retail and corporate business of NatWest Group (operating until the RBS brand).

That's a net loss of 2,500 well paying jobs - something no government would like, especially where they are geographically concentrated.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Charles said:

DavidL said:

I think there is a remarkable lack of real politic about the discussions involving the currency and the LOLR.

London is greedy and ruthless. Ask its competitors in Paris and Frankfurt (if you can find them, I suggest you try Kensington). The idea that everything would simply carry on as before is completely naive. Case after case has shown that trade between countries that separate collapses. This would just be the start.

Would Scotland survive? Of course. But we already have an economy which is overweighted to the public sector, closer to France than the rest of the UK. The loss of such a major industry would be a terrible blow and make the financial constraints that rUK would impose on spending and borrowing as a condition of using the currency extremely hard to bear.

TBF, the Edinburgh fund management industry is quite independent of the London market with a number of significant and very proud institutions - Standard Life, Aberdeen, Baillie Gifford, etc. It's common practice to schlep up to Edinburgh when you are trying to place equity.

Certainly the banks would move south because of the LoLR issue, but I don't think the FM companies necessarily would (possibly SL because of the insurance regulations, but that's outside my area of expertise). They would need to tweak their mandates to allow them to treat London as a "domestic" rather than a "international" market for investment purposes, but that's just an administrative hassle.

p.s. the French are in South Kensington, the Germans in Richmond (with the Swedes) and Chelsea (with the Italians). Kensington is largely Russians, Ukrainians and Americans these days ;-)
    At the moment rUK is not competing for those jobs and revenue streams. That would no longer be the situation. They would either move themselves or be bought up and have their funds moved south. It would be inevitable. At the moment they all have accreditation with regulators that (despite the past failures) are recognised as amongst the most sophisticated and reliable in the world backed by the FSCS and other provisions. Their business would suffer greatly if they lost that.

I'll take your word on the geography of our various immigrant investment communities. Where would you suggest the Scots go?
    With the English in Fulham?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291

Can I ask a question to the brains trust here.

Is Saving the City worth reading? It's about the 1914 banking crisis at the start of the Great War.

I have no idea of whether the book's worth reading but the crisis is very much worth understanding given the similarities between them and those of 2008.
    This links to the OUP website.

http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780199646548.do

extract, interview, and review cut 'n pastes.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

john_zims said:

@Mick_Pork

I agree. Not having your own currency inevitably involves a significant ceding of sovereignty. It's silly to pretend otherwise.

Outdated and pointless SO. Britain has no more sovereignty than Germany , in fact much less. The markets push the UK about far more than they ever do Germany , so it is just a myth that UK can cling to. Those Germans coming to UK must be cursing their loss of sovereignty when they can buy 15-20% more due to it.
    I certainly always think of our great sovereignty as I get 20% less for my cash in Europe.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    When the Commonwealth Games were happening (4 years ago, or 8, or whenever*) I watched it for several days and was gradually getting fed up with the fact that England and Australia were winning everything - because I kept on having to sing "God Save the Queen" and "Advance Australia Fair" during the medal ceremonies, and it was getting boring doing the same anthems over and over again.

So I was enthusiastically waiting for another country to win something, and was delighted when Scotland won something. As the medal ceremony came to its climax, I was getting ready to sing "O Flower of Scotland" but was suddenly taken aback because they did "Scotland the Brave" instead.

Never mind the currency. If Scotland did become independent, is it certain that it would definitely have "Flower of Scotland" as its national anthem, or might it choose a different one?

* P.S. on reflection, I think it was 8 years ago. If I remember correctly, it was 4 years ago that the Scottish athletes had a vote on which anthem they wanted to use, and they voted for Flower of Scotland. One of the other options was "Highland Cathedral".
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Mick_Pork said:

So now its Jim Sillars and Colin Fox that are the views of the Scottish people. Think you will find neither are in office. They can run for election and if the real views of the Scottish people are what they spout then they will be elected and can implement their policy , that is what is called democracy.
    So SNP only in negotiations then.....

• Options
    malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

Patrick said:

There is a real chance that the people will vote Yes assuming they can keep the Pound only to find this is not the case after they have voted.

Patrick, there is absolutely no question: the Scots can continue to use the pound if they like.

What they can't be certain of is that it will be as part of a formal currency union and that they would be represented on the MPC et al.
    Unlike Ladbroks who will most definitely know almost as much about gambling as your good self Charles , though as a banker I have my doubts.
    I really don't understand that answer.

Perhaps you can explain?

(I haven't read the Ladbrooke's bet terms - although am happy to take Neil's word for it - because I rarely bet and then only for fun or to prove a point).
    Charles , they have put the odds of a currency union at 1/100 and NO currency union at 50/1. In other words a racing certainty.
    The issue is to do with the date, I believe.

My point is simply that these things will have to be negotiated. If Scotland wants a currency union - and I am not convinced why rUK would want one particularly (it's not that important) - then they will have to give up something else in the negotiations.
  • Options
    Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles, that would be no bad thing and would mean we could have a real Scottish bank in Scotland rather than the carpetbaggers we have at present. I can only hope you are correct. I also think that the jobs would be replaced by real Scottish banking jobs as we would need that after the UK banks pulled out. Unless you believe that they could still hope to have branches and business in Scotland.

I see no reason to think that RBS, for example, would not remain a major player in the Scottish banking market.

The difference is that instead of 3,000 people in Edinburgh making decisions for RBS, NatWest and Citizens you would have - say - 500 making decisions for the Scottish retail and corporate business of NatWest Group (operating until the RBS brand).

That's a net loss of 2,500 well paying jobs - something no government would like, especially where they are geographically concentrated.
    Possibly , but I doubt they would get much business and therefore the new REAL Scottish bank would need plenty of people to manage all the business it attracted. I do not remember many Nat West branches from past years. I think you live in a dream if you think they can move everything out and still keep the business.
  • Options

I don't think you can draw that conclusion unless you look at the turnout across a number of votes.

The backwoodsmen are notoriously difficult to whip. It would be interesting to see the turnout among the 'working peers' though.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Are we back to Libya again? It is the tories fault because not enough of them voted the right way to defeat us?

The lack of acceptance of responsibility for their own votes in once again telling

The tory rebels can't possibly operate in a vacuum. This didn't happen overnight and the time to draw a line has long, long since passed. I'm 100% certain Dominic Raab will have been told in no uncertain terms just how 'helpful' all this was by the Cameroon leadership. Yet he isn't even a serial offender. Which is the problem. The more tory backbenchers rebel with no sanction against them the more other tory MPs will be tempted to join in and get a boost to their own profile as they do so.

Now that the Cameroons have been very publicly seen to cave in to the rebels there can be only one direction of travel for future rebellions and it certainly isn't going to be less of them.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

David, quoting bollocks again, it has been well shown that we have little or no more public sector than England. We will need financial institutions in Scotland when independent an dif the English ones move out it will be a good opportunity for new Scottish companies, so as per devolution going to impoverish us , the Torie shave the same old mantra on independence. Do you never question why we have more Pandas than Tory MP's.
    Malcolm, that is simply not true. Here are the stats from the Scottish government for Q3 of 2013: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Statistics/Browse/Labour-Market/TrendPublicSectorEmp

It says:

"There were 2,549,000 people employed in Scotland in Q3 2013, an increase of 74,600 (3.0%) over the year. In Q3 2013 public sector employment accounted for 22.7% of total employment, down from 23.5% in the previous year and the lowest proportion seen since the series began in 1999."

In the UK as a whole there are now just over 30m employed with just over 5m working in the public sector, so approximately 17%. We are going in the right direction but there is a long way to go and we are chasing a moving target.

David, i will accept your numbers but last data I saw did not have it as big a difference as that. I really doubt the difference is as big as that. If it was as big a difference why would we not have better public service given they would be awash with people.
    If I recall, there are some pretty big public sector organisations (HMRC?) based in Scotland but servicing the whole of the UK. So that would probably explain some of the difference - in the same way that I assume Swansea (DVLA) has a high percentage of public sector employees than Bristol.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

isam said:

isam said:

Keep pounding isam. But you won't ever get Southam to admit the main point of your post is correct.

What is the main point? I am clearly missing it.

• Options
    Charles said:

O/T @scrapheap_as_was

I think you're a middle-market focused IFA right?

I was looking at Lighthouse recently, and saw they had teamed up with Birthstar for a new IFA-focused auto-enrollment product. Would be great to get your views if you had a moment ;-)

http://www.birthstarfunds.co.uk/why-birthstar/

(feel free to tell me I'm being cheeky...)

Hi Charles,

No problem - I'm 'balls deep' (sorry = for TSE) in auto enrolment these days and there's new providers popping up all over the place, SimplyEnrol being another large network/support provider too who launched In Jan as well. I don't think we've got a lot of info on the Lighthouse one yet - not launched even?

http://www.ifaonline.co.uk/ifaonline/news/2325916/lighthouse-takes-on-ae-market-with-pension-trust-for-middle-britain

There's a lot of fees being quoted to employers by advisers and my preferred solution for employers currently is to seek terms from one or two of the best offerings by the big insurers as they provide the middle-ware (currently) within their plan charges, help with setting up salary exchange and implementation etc. If not them, then looking at either Now/Peoples Pension/ Std Life DIY type providers if the employer has some resources to support it - even Nest if there's a switched on payroll provider to do the assessments each month.

So as an IFA, I'd suggest you ask an IFA to discuss with the employer what solution fits best. Each case is different and the big insurers are cherry picking so you may have a more limited choice!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,030
    Charles said:

I don't think you can draw that conclusion unless you look at the turnout across a number of votes.

The backwoodsmen are notoriously difficult to whip. It would be interesting to see the turnout among the 'working peers' though.

Quite. And if the Tory whips had been whipping like crazy, you can imagine Labour and the LDs would be too.

• Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Can anyone trumpeting the Ladbrokes odds on currency union post a link to the actual bet, not to a report of the press release? It doesn't seem to exist on their website...

I would imagine you could phone them and place a bet. I doubt they will be expecting many bets on it.
    From what I can see on google it was on their website and the terms were different from what you're quoting; the 1/100 was on Scotland using GBP on 1/1/16, NOT on there being a currency union.

Press Release
    Press Releases

Ladbrokes press release

Scotland are a racing certainty to form a currency union should they vote 'yes' to independence, according to Ladbrokes.

The book is now open on the prospects of the formation of the union, should Scotland break away from the rest of the UK and it's a near-certainty at 1/100 that they keep sterling, with 50/1 the price that any other currency, including the Euro, is used.

For context, Scotland are 50/1 to win the upcoming 6 Nations while 1/100 is the price Scotland would be to beat San Marino in an international football match.

Alex Donohue of Ladbrokes said: "It's about as uncompetitive as a betting contest can be. Punters would win a penny for ever pound staked on an independent Scotland sticking with sterling."

Ladbrokes latest betting

Scotland to form a currency union with the United Kingdom before the 31st of December 2015

Yes 1/100

No 50/1

Referendum outcome

Yes 7/2

No 1/5

http://www.politicshome.com/uk/article/92105/ladbrokes_scotland_1_100_to_enter_currency_union_50_1_not_to.html
    That's not a link to the bet, or to anything at Ladbrokes. It is, as I'm sure you noticed, the press release as quoted by politicshome. The quote I gave earlier was what someone had copied from the Ladbrokes website, giving the actual terms of the bet; ie will Scotland still be using GBP on 1/1/16 - which does not imply a currency union. That bet is no longer on their website. I presume because they realised the terms were stupid.

Have you got anything better than a link to politicshome?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Possibly , but I doubt they would get much business and therefore the new REAL Scottish bank would need plenty of people to manage all the business it attracted. I do not remember many Nat West branches from past years. I think you live in a dream if you think they can move everything out and still keep the business.
    Sorry malcolm, now you have really jumped the shark.

I really don't expect the vast majority of normal people in Scotland to change from their RBS branches (which will remain in the same location, with the same people and the same branding) just because the head office has moved to London.

I suppose they could move to HBOS (likely to be headquartered in Halifax or London) or Clydesdale (probably headquartered in York or London, but possibly still in Glasgow I suppose).
  • Options

Charles said:

O/T @scrapheap_as_was

I think you're a middle-market focused IFA right?

I was looking at Lighthouse recently, and saw they had teamed up with Birthstar for a new IFA-focused auto-enrollment product. Would be great to get your views if you had a moment ;-)

http://www.birthstarfunds.co.uk/why-birthstar/

(feel free to tell me I'm being cheeky...)

Hi Charles,

No problem - I'm 'balls deep' (sorry = for TSE) in auto enrolment these days and there's new providers popping up all over the place, SimplyEnrol being another large network/support provider too who launched In Jan as well. I don't think we've got a lot of info on the Lighthouse one yet - not launched even?

http://www.ifaonline.co.uk/ifaonline/news/2325916/lighthouse-takes-on-ae-market-with-pension-trust-for-middle-britain

There's a lot of fees being quoted to employers by advisers and my preferred solution for employers currently is to seek terms from one or two of the best offerings by the big insurers as they provide the middle-ware (currently) within their plan charges, help with setting up salary exchange and implementation etc. If not them, then looking at either Now/Peoples Pension/ Std Life DIY type providers if the employer has some resources to support it - even Nest if there's a switched on payroll provider to do the assessments each month.

So as an IFA, I'd suggest you ask an IFA to discuss with the employer what solution fits best. Each case is different and the big insurers are cherry picking so you may have a more limited choice!
    Thanks! The Lighthouse people are arguing that under RDR IFAs/employers effectively have to certify that the investments are appropriate for individuals... but that target dated funds do that work for them...?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Charles said:

Quite. And if the Tory whips had been whipping like crazy, you can imagine Labour and the LDs would be too.

Indeed - don't forget the Tories don't have a majority in the Lords.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

How well do you think the kids from schools where over 90% of the kids don't speak English as 1st language mix with kids that can only speak English, outside of school.

What repercussions will this have for society in general when they grow up?
  • Options

MikeK said:

isam said:

isam said:

What is the main point? I am clearly missing it.

Yes I think you are. Have tried to explain in the post below
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,048
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Press Release
    Press Releases

Ladbrokes press release

Ladbrokes latest betting

Yes 1/100

No 50/1

Referendum outcome

Yes 7/2

No 1/5

That bet is completely ridiculous even if you think the British Pound will not be used in the future.

On both sides - as has been pointed out here before.

• Options
    Charles said:

RobD said:

Charles said:

If they had been serious they would have made an effort. But they weren't, so they didn't.

• Options
    MontyMonty Posts: 346
    I shall briefly de-lurk to point out that the cabbages thing is a myth and has been around since before the EU in one form or another. See http://www.snopes.com/language/document/cabbage.asp

A simple Google check would have told you.
    MikeK said:

A few facts to ponder on:

From a correspondent:

If there was a shred of doubt the world is totally insane, this will remove it. Only Divine intervention can restore us to sanity.

Pythagoras’ Theorem: …………………….24 words.
    Lord’s Prayer: …………………………………… 66 words.
    Archimedes’ Principle: ……………………………67 words.
    Ten Commandments: ………………………………….179 words.
    Gettysburg Address: …………………………………………286 words.
    US Declaration of Independence : …………………………1,300 words.
    US Constitution with all 27 Amendments: ……………………7,818 words.
    EU Regulations on the Sale of CABBAGES: ……………26,911 words

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Charles said:

Here's a novel idea. If Cammie can't be certain he can do something then perhaps it might be wiser not to give Cast Iron Guarantees, promises or pledges to the Eurosceptic wing of the tory party that he can? They might be a great deal less angry and tempted to keep rebelling when it turns out to have been empty meaningless posturing yet again.

The whipping operation in the commons was also a complete shambles. I would suggest that no matter how much of a 'free spirit' Cammie may consider his Peers if he's written them off as a lost cause then the fault might not just be theirs alone.

• Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

How well do you think the kids from schools where over 90% of the kids don't speak English as 1st language mix with kids that can only speak English, outside of school.

If they are taught properly, they'll speak in English - just as the kids of immigrants always have done. The repercussions for society in having millions of bilingual and trilingual citizens are very positive in my view.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Mick_Pork said:

So SNP only in negotiations then.....

No one knows at this point but given how inclusive the SNP are I believe they would not do what labour/Tories would do.
    Personally I would only include those organisations that were for YES. I would definitely exclude Tory , Labour and Lib Dems. They have spent last years bad mouthing and denigrating Scotland re how it could not stand on its own so why would you want no hope losers like that in your negotiating team.
  • Options

Charles said:

RobD said:

Charles said:

If they had been serious they would have made an effort. But they weren't, so they didn't.

You don't know that.

Perhaps they worked really hard and moved the turnout from 20% to 60%.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

If they are taught properly, they'll speak in English - just as the kids of immigrants always have done. The repercussions for society in having millions of bilingual and trilingual citizens are very positive in my view.
    I hope you are right, but I think its a very naïve view to think that 3rd generation (?) immigrants that don't consider English their native tongue is a positive for society

We discussed earlier in the week the over estimation of number certain groups by society, this 1 in 9 figure in school children without English as a first language could be one of the reasons
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Press Release
    Press Releases

Ladbrokes press release

Ladbrokes latest betting

Yes 1/100

No 50/1

Referendum outcome

Yes 7/2

No 1/5

That bet is completely ridiculous even if you think the British Pound will not be used in the future.

Pulpstar , I was not promoting betting on it, merely pointing it out. JJ could not find it and so I was merely being helpful.
  • Options
    Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Sorry malcolm, now you have really jumped the shark.

I really don't expect the vast majority of normal people in Scotland to change from their RBS branches (which will remain in the same location, with the same people and the same branding) just because the head office has moved to London.

I suppose they could move to HBOS (likely to be headquartered in Halifax or London) or Clydesdale (probably headquartered in York or London, but possibly still in Glasgow I suppose).
    Charles, we will see , I hope for some real Scottish banks in the future.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Press Release
    Press Releases

Ladbrokes press release

Ladbrokes latest betting

Yes 1/100

No 50/1

Referendum outcome

Yes 7/2

No 1/5

That's not a link to the bet, or to anything at Ladbrokes. It is, as I'm sure you noticed, the press release as quoted by politicshome. The quote I gave earlier was what someone had copied from the Ladbrokes website, giving the actual terms of the bet; ie will Scotland still be using GBP on 1/1/16 - which does not imply a currency union. That bet is no longer on their website. I presume because they realised the terms were stupid.

I am not your lackey , phone Ladbrokes.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Charles said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

It says:

If I recall, there are some pretty big public sector organisations (HMRC?) based in Scotland but servicing the whole of the UK. So that would probably explain some of the difference - in the same way that I assume Swansea (DVLA) has a high percentage of public sector employees than Bristol.
    Charles, Given the preponderance of public sector jobs located in London I doubt that could explain it. I do not trust those figures. Much more likely to be selective counting of what is public sector.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ion.

Bookmakers announce prices in Press Releases, or on tv to generate publicity without any expectation of taking a bet on it. Often these markets are not on the website precisely so they cant take bets

Its a con to get people talking about the firm, and to get people on the website... and it looks like its worked!!
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Press Release
    Press Releases

Ladbrokes press release

Ladbrokes latest betting

Yes 1/100

No 50/1

Referendum outcome

Yes 7/2

No 1/5

Pulpstar , I was not promoting betting on it, merely pointing it out. JJ could not find it and so I was merely being helpful.
    You, redcliffe and McPiglet have all quoted the quote of the press release to "prove" that PBTories don't know what they're talking about wrt the possibility of no currency union for Scotland. I've quoted a quote of the bet as it appeared on the Ladbrokes website, where it no longer appears as they framed a stupid bet. Your argument was flawed; get over it.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    edited February 2014
    Thanks! The Lighthouse people are arguing that under RDR IFAs/employers effectively have to certify that the investments are appropriate for individuals... but that target dated funds do that work for them...?
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Erm, the RDR affects IFA remuneration mainly - I don't see how it has any impact on employers other than they can't pay for advice via the commissions generated & deducted from the group pension scheme?

Yes there's a requirement for the provider solution to offer suitable investments for the employees BUT if they are a provider in the AE market reporting to the TPR, then who isn't going to offer something that's appropriate???

Nest, Now etc don't have many funds but the ones they have are necessarily TPR compliant and when we used Scot Life for a new GPP, we used their investment solution which gives all the investment compliance responsibilities on them and not us or the employer.

Neither the employer or IFA will be providing FCA regulated advice unless there's specific guidance being provided to an individual employee on things such as their investment choices, contribution levels etc.

This link explains investment matters etc for employers when choosing a provider.

http://www.thepensionsregulator.gov.uk/docs/employer-select-pension-automatic-enrolment.pdf
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,173
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

It says:

Are those stats comparable? Different sources, different functions. Not saying you are wrong per se but it is perhaps comparing apples with oranges or with apple-and-orange salad. For instance, a lot of privatization in EWNI means that there are companies providing a public sector service and charging the government, health boards, public, etc. as a private firm. Water is one obvious difference, elements of the NHS another. Public still pays one way or another.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    malcolmg said:

methinks it would be better to have Scottish Government do the supervising, less likely to have another crash that way.

It is this level of blind devotion amongst Eck's faithfull that cheers me up every day.
    "Alex Salmond personally offered Sir Fred Goodwin the support of the Scottish Government for the disastrous takeover that almost ruined the Royal Bank of Scotland."
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/politics/revealed-salmond-s-support-for-goodwin-over-disastrous-rbs-deal-1.1046662
  • Options
    Generic comment on some of the solutions in the AE market.

Watch out for 'packaged' solutions where 'many hands' are involved as they seem to have chunky initial fees and/or ongoing monthly per member fees on top to be paid by the employer.

That may become the norm as the capacity crunch hits the market but if an employer can get terms from 'big insurer' then this is likely to be a great solution currently - if you can get terms!

I may be wrong but I wonder if there will become a risk of solutions such as SimplyEnrol or Lighthouse (I'm just speculating, I don't know them really) that their advisers become 'channels' of distributing their AE solutions to employers.

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,173

Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

From this story

As I said.

You will (as so often) find the answer in the White Paper, in the "Becoming independent - the transition" section. And to save you the trouble:

"A Yes vote will require work to be undertaken within the Scottish Government, drawing on external advice and expertise from within civic society and our academic and business communities.

The negotiating team will be led by the First Minister, and the process will include figures from across Scottish public life and Scotland's other political parties. During the transition period the Government will seek the agreement of the Scottish Parliament to extend its sitting days to ensure full democratic scrutiny of the process and to provide adequate time for the necessary legislation to be passed. "
    http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2013/11/9348/5

• Options
    isam said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ion.

Bookmakers announce prices in Press Releases, or on tv to generate publicity without any expectation of taking a bet on it. Often these markets are not on the website precisely so they cant take bets

Its a con to get people talking about the firm, and to get people on the website... and it looks like its worked!!
    Yes it certainly did.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

From this story

As I said.

You will (as so often) find the answer in the White Paper, in the "Becoming independent - the transition" section. And to save you the trouble:

"A Yes vote will require work to be undertaken within the Scottish Government, drawing on external advice and expertise from within civic society and our academic and business communities.

The negotiating team will be led by the First Minister, and the process will include figures from across Scottish public life and Scotland's other political parties. During the transition period the Government will seek the agreement of the Scottish Parliament to extend its sitting days to ensure full democratic scrutiny of the process and to provide adequate time for the necessary legislation to be passed. "
    http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2013/11/9348/5

Carnyx, You have burst his/her bubble, in his/her twisted mind it would have been only Alex Salmond allowed to negotiate.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

methinks it would be better to have Scottish Government do the supervising, less likely to have another crash that way.

It is this level of blind devotion amongst Eck's faithfull that cheers me up every day.
    "Alex Salmond personally offered Sir Fred Goodwin the support of the Scottish Government for the disastrous takeover that almost ruined the Royal Bank of Scotland."
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/politics/revealed-salmond-s-support-for-goodwin-over-disastrous-rbs-deal-1.1046662

You can always depend on Scott to post something puerile and stupid and a lie.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Carnyx said:

Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

From this story

As I said.

That's all very well but didn't Salmond make Sir Fred a Knight? No, wait, that would be the scottish tory surgers heroes and economic gurus Gordon Brown and Alistair Darling.
    Fred Goodwin Should Have Kept His Knighthood, Says Alistair Darling

The decision to strip Fred Goodwin of his knighthood following the near-collapse of the Royal Bank of Scotland was a "terrible mistake", Alistair Darling has said.

Giving evidence to MPs on Tuesday morning, the former chancellor said there was "a bit of the lynch mob" about the way the former chief executive of RBS was stripped of his honour.

"The whole episode it backfired, it shouldn't have been done," he said. "It was not the fault of one man, he made mistakes, but to try and pass this off as 'here's the one man', it bring politics into disrepute".

"We're all supposed to be equal before the law, something is very wrong when you say 'I'm picking you out' after the event," he said. "I found the whole thing so repugnant."

Darling, who was chancellor when the financial crisis hit in 2009, told the public administration committee that he had not entertained the idea of stripping Goodwin of his knighthood "for more than a couple of minutes" while he had been in government as he knew he would be accused of trying to "pass the buck".

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/05/15/fred-goodwin-knighthood-mistake_n_1517143.html

Good thing they reminded everyone just how brilliant their great hope is.
    It's that level of stupidity among the 'better together' spinners that cheers me up every day. :)
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Press Release
    Press Releases

Ladbrokes press release

Ladbrokes latest betting

Yes 1/100

No 50/1

Referendum outcome

Yes 7/2

No 1/5

You, redcliffe and McPiglet have all quoted the quote of the press release to "prove" that PBTories don't know what they're talking about wrt the possibility of no currency union for Scotland. I've quoted a quote of the bet as it appeared on the Ladbrokes website, where it no longer appears as they framed a stupid bet. Your argument was flawed; get over it.
    Your first point , it needs no press release to prove that PBTories do not know what they are talking about re currency union.
    Your second point is just bollocks , who said it was a great bet , I only said Ladbrokes had put up a bet, I showed you the evidence and now you are in a strop because you cannot get a bet on.
    Get real.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Press Release
    Press Releases

Ladbrokes press release

Ladbrokes latest betting

Yes 1/100

No 50/1

Referendum outcome

Yes 7/2

No 1/5

JimmyJohnny might need one of these.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-TiAsxPOUHN4/Tb5pIGotxbI/AAAAAAAAAR4/44nXGYFATVs/s1600/pull-string-toy-phone-car-vehicle-1-big.jpg

• Options
    Gerry ‏@archangelolill 55m

The Tory #immigration rebels have highlighted that David Cameron is undermined by both insubordination and mutiny. http://gu.com/p/3mbk9/tw

Pete ‏@Petea1uk

Cameron today has proved without doubt he is weakest PM in memory. Makes John Major look like Arnold Schwarzenegger in under pants!

Gaz W ‏@Americanist9

Cameron doing a great impression of John Major in failing to exercise any control over backbenchers #Leadership
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Press Release
    Press Releases

Ladbrokes press release

Ladbrokes latest betting

Yes 1/100

No 50/1

Referendum outcome

Yes 7/2

No 1/5

Your first point , it needs no press release to prove that PBTories do not know what they are talking about re currency union.
    Your second point is just bollocks , who said it was a great bet , I only said Ladbrokes had put up a bet, I showed you the evidence and now you are in a strop because you cannot get a bet on.
    Get real.
    Your (plural) argument was that the Ladbrokes odds showed that PBTories didn't know what they were talking about. You didn't, though, show anything with the bet as Ladbrokes framed it; I did. The bet was framed as Scotland using a different currency by 2016 or not - NOTHING to do with currency union.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    Quoted from the policy exchange report.

http://www.policyexchange.org.uk/images/publications/reforming public appointments.pdf

"Apart from all these provisos, the key question is whether Labour’s clear lead in the number of supporters obtaining appointments results from a bias in the appointments system or whether it reflects a lead in the numbers of supporters making applications. According to research by the Commissioner for Public Appointments, it is the latter. The proportion of appointees to applicants is similar for Labour and for the Conservatives. This suggests a considerable grassroots Conservative deficit."

• Options
    Just been into Ladbrokes to place a bet on the rugby and asked about the "currency union" bet. They knew, and could find, nothing about it.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Monty said:

I shall briefly de-lurk to point out that the cabbages thing is a myth and has been around since before the EU in one form or another. See http://www.snopes.com/language/document/cabbage.asp

Interesting. Surely it isn't necessary to play with the truth, here by person or persons unknown, to make a valid point. I wonder whether this one might not have been concocted as an anti-Brussels ploy. In any case it's a broader issue. I feel that our freedoms, at worst, and time, at least worst, is being wasted by self-justifying bean counters.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Just been into Ladbrokes to place a bet on the rugby and asked about the "currency union" bet. They knew, and could find, nothing about it.

It's only available to the SNP faithful. You need to give them the secret handshake to get on...
  • Options
    There's no doubt that's Carney's speech has been a body blow to the nationalist cause. It's hard to picture now what Scotland would look like after 'independence' - somewhere between a semi-autonomous sterling district and an English dependency? Whatever the nuances of the eventual outcome it would represent a humiliation for the people of that great and historic land. Neither Salmond nor any other proud Scot should live with himself, having brought about the annihilation of a nation's soul.
  • Options
    Toms said:

Monty said:

Interesting. Surely it isn't necessary to play with the truth, here by person or persons unknown, to make a valid point. I wonder whether this one might not have been concocted as an anti-Brussels ploy. In any case it's a broader issue. I feel that our freedoms, at worst, and time, at least worst, is being wasted by self-justifying bean counters.
    or an anti Cabbage ploy
  • Options
    Ringa Bay has a better chance than the 25/1 offered on Betfair in the 2-40 at Ffos Las, I've bought for 6 on the spreads as they pay 10 for 4th place.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    isam said:

Toms said:

Monty said:

or an anti Cabbage ploy
    It's a fair cop guv. I've always held a hatred for cabbage and am part of numerous shadowy organisations controlling the world economy dedicated to working against them.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,048

Ringa Bay has a better chance than the 25/1 offered on Betfair in the 2-40 at Ffos Las, I've bought for 6 on the spreads as they pay 10 for 4th place.

I'm opposing you with Bob Ford in that one :D
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    corporeal said:

isam said:

Toms said:

Monty said:

or an anti Cabbage ploy
    It's a fair cop guv. I've always held a hatred for cabbage and am part of numerous shadowy organisations controlling the world economy dedicated to working against them.
    Life would be very difficult without the Brassicaceae. (the spell checker wanted "brassiness")
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

MP's.

It says:

Well some of it is because of regional policy. So for example we have whatever the Child Support Agency was rebranded as in Falkirk dealing not only with Scotland but also the north of England. We have a significant number of HMRC jobs here in Dundee. We have 500 people working for the department of International Development in East Kilbride. etc, etc. There are interesting issues as to how many of these jobs will remain or be replaced with Scottish administration currently done elsewhere.

Also, from my experience the NHS in Scotland is somewhat better staffed than certainly its London equivalent. Because of the reluctance to reform anything controversial north of the border there are far too many managers but even on the wards things do seem a little better.

There may also be classification issues, particularly in relation to colleges. My wife works at Dundee and Angus College (as it now is) and their status is now being classified as in the public sector under their new funding arrangements whilst previously they were classified as not public sector (despite of course being entirely paid for from the public purse).

What we cannot afford to do is lose 10s of thousands of well paid private sector jobs which is what would happen if we lost our financial services industry, something I think would be inevitable if we went independent.

• Options

There's no doubt that's Carney's speech has been a body blow to the nationalist cause. It's hard to picture now what Scotland would look like after 'independence' - somewhere between a semi-autonomous sterling district and an English dependency? Whatever the nuances of the eventual outcome it would represent a humiliation for the people of that great and historic land. Neither Salmond nor any other proud Scot should live with himself, having brought about the annihilation of a nation's soul.

LOL, what planet do you inhabit. I presume you work for HMG , or sit in the HOL. Funniest post I have seen in a long time though.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

DavidL said:

The lack of acceptance of responsibility for their own votes in once again telling

The tory rebels can't possibly operate in a vacuum. This didn't happen overnight and the time to draw a line has long, long since passed. I'm 100% certain Dominic Raab will have been told in no uncertain terms just how 'helpful' all this was by the Cameroon leadership. Yet he isn't even a serial offender. Which is the problem. The more tory backbenchers rebel with no sanction against them the more other tory MPs will be tempted to join in and get a boost to their own profile as they do so.

Now that the Cameroons have been very publicly seen to cave in to the rebels there can be only one direction of travel for future rebellions and it certainly isn't going to be less of them.

For some reason you seem to have cut the bit where I agreed with you on that. The indiscipline and lack of focus on the main objectives on the tory back benches is indeed a major problem for Cameron and the tories in general. It seriously increases the prospects of some of those MPs losing their jobs. It is frankly irrational or just plain stupid.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Think Smoking Aces is winner, I just got the 14:05 winner , just made it home and no more.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The indiscipline and lack of focus on the main objectives on the tory back benches is indeed a major problem for Cameron and the tories in general. It seriously increases the prospects of some of those MPs losing their jobs. It is frankly irrational or just plain stupid.

Absolutely! In fact it's got to stage now where no one (other than perhaps the rebels themselves) thinks their antics are in any way adult. Tory MPs are looking like grisly Westminster clubbers - concerned only with gossips, plots and long lunches. I've felt this way since 1997 when the Tory rump just couldn't be bothered and let Blair and Brown wreck the nation with impunity - a disgraceful dereliction of duty.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

Think Smoking Aces is winner, I just got the 14:05 winner , just made it home and no more.
    Think Ringa Bay is value and 4th would give me profit, all a bit difficult given the conditions today
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

Think Ringa Bay is value and 4th would give me profit, all a bit difficult given the conditions today
    Yes, looking at last race conditions are real tough , Smoking Aces with only 10st 1lb must get a boost.
    Saphir Du Rheu did well getting home with the weight it was carrying.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

MP's.

It says:

What we cannot afford to do is lose 10s of thousands of well paid private sector jobs which is what would happen if we lost our financial services industry, something I think would be inevitable if we went independent.

David, I just cannot see a mass migration , it was same old story on devolution , when SNP looked like getting in , who can forget labour and their extra £5K a year tax. It just will not happen, much more likely to be the opposite scenario and lots of opportunity.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

Ringa bay dropped to last , hopefully just having a rest
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

P

The best laid plans....
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

P

The best laid plans....
    Mine is struggling now
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

P

The best laid plans....
    Mine is struggling now
    managed to get back and claim 3rd so a small profit.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

P

The best laid plans....
    Mine is struggling now
    managed to get back and claim 3rd so a small profit.
    I cannot believe it , I did not tick the EW box , what a dummy
This discussion has been closed.