Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The currency question just got harder for Yes this week

SystemSystem Posts: 11,711
edited February 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The currency question just got harder for Yes this week

Two years ago, two-thirds of Scottish voters would have voted for independence if it made them £500 a year better off.  That support dropped to just 21% if they would be left £500 a year down.  We shouldn’t regard those figures as gospel – putting the emphasis so heavily on one factor in the question will probably exaggerate the effect in the results – but there’s no doubt that how voters perceive th…

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited February 2014
    Scheduler boolacked...?

No worries; happens to little people:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv_TA2S2z34
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    It didn't take long....

Michael Moore is out saying that the Atlanta snowjam this week was caused by global warming.

It was actually caused by every worker and parent of a school kid inside the perimeter highway getting on the roads at exactly the same time because of incoming snow, which froze and made matters worse.

If anything it proves that 6 lanes each way on an urban interstate isn't enough - we need more lanes, and more interstates.
  • Options
    redcliffe62redcliffe62 Posts: 342
    edited February 2014
    Plan A is a currency union which Ladbrokes say is 1/100 to happen and they must therefore have more confidence than David has.

Problem is the scaremongering and tactical refusal to debate on this aspect and the EU needs to end; it is the NO campaigns best fear tactic, so requirement for Scottish Government to confirm pound will be used, regardles of the Treasury view, as it is Scottish owned as well, and has been for 300 years.

The REAL question is whether it is done with agreement in a currency union or simply pegging the Scots pound to sterling, which negates all debt and Scotland can start off as a new country debt free.

If you keep assets, dear London, then you keep the debts. Simple decision, yes or no on this, so make a decision by February 15th Mr Cameron and we are happy to abide to your decision either way. If no confirmation we will make our own decision and plan for a debt free economy. Major selling point one would think? Win-win.

I actually favour the latter, no debt and a pound pegged to sterling which can be amended as and when necessary. I suspect with North Sea Oil (the real figures) it would rise substantially within 2 years but we can all beg to differ. Even Carney said with a geographical share of oil the Scottish economy would be "different" to rUK, whereas if the oil was not split geographically the economies would be "similar."
    Says it all really. Scotland will be stinking rich if independent and Treasury, Carney included, accepts that position, even if Peston conveniently missed it in his speech..
  • Options

The REAL question is whether it is done with agreement in a currency union or simply pegging the Scots pound to sterling, which negates all debt and Scotland can start off as a new country debt free.

if Scotland does not agree to take a negotiated share of UK debt, then the UK will not agree to Scottish independence.

Your choice then is negotiate, or UDI - in which case you can kiss goodbye to the EU and the international bond markets, Braveheart.
  • Options
    redcliffe62redcliffe62 Posts: 342
    edited February 2014

if Scotland does not agree to take a negotiated share of UK debt, then the UK will not agree to Scottish independence.

Your choice then is negotiate, or UDI - in which case you can kiss goodbye to the EU and the international bond markets, Braveheart.
    For goodness sake get real. And is that braveheart jibe the best you can do Carlotta?
    I note you did not question Carney saying scotland would be better off "different" economically. I presume you agree with him?

Scotland and its citizens are IN the EU, when Greenland left it took a lot of effort to remove them as default position was they were citizens. That decision was not made by Denmark, read rUK, it was made by Greenlanders themselves when they voted.
    When East Germany joined West Germany their citizens automatically became members of the EU. Is it becoming easier for you to understand now?

The issue is simple, will treasury confirm a currency union or not. If more dithering, a conscious decision to obfuscate, they force a hand they may not like, but the EU and the populace will know where the blame needs to be apportioned. It is not UDI either, and the rUK refusing to accept a winning referendum result is not plausibe*, unless there are tanks and bayoneted troops down George Street, just like 1919 when the locals got a bit restless?
    Watching the crazy Scottish debate this week in the House of Lords by unelected lairds and numerous English lords with a vested interest and old pollies after 300 quid a day I think that would be their preferred choice, but common sense will no doubt occur.

*Although 1979 shows getting most votes in a referendum was not enough after an MP from England gerrymandered the vote.
  • Options
    London hoping to wait until 19th September on the EU and currency is no longer an option.
    We could get the London official position in 24 hours.

Problem is the key scare stories would no longer be relevant and economic data would be the top issues, something London cannot win on facts. Obfuscation and fear is only tactic.
    With polls close the credence given for even deigning to discuss these issues now needs to be grudgingly admitted from London. The "no point it cannot happen" approach has reached the end of its shelf life.

Timelines need to be set for information to be provided as the YES campaign cannot wait until 19th September for a change in attitude. No wonder Cameron wants to avoid a debate as long as he can get away with it, and hopes with continuing MSM support as PM of UK he can get away with that line whilst sending the subbies like Hague in whilst using donor money from Tories to scrape over the line.

The fact the Better Together mob via their soldiers gave out false leaflets stating Scots cannot use the pound in a limited campaign at rail stations shows this is crucial to them. Smash that and they have nothing of value. So smash it by putting them on the spot. 1/100 at ladbrokes tells me they should concede, but they just cannot do so for the above reasons.

That the Scottish MSM has not demanded an answer from Cameron yet his chaps like Hague fly in and fly out whilst claiming a decision for Scots is astonishing. Cameron makes the decisions, not a weak house flipping Labour back bencher.
  • Options
    ZenPaganZenPagan Posts: 689

For goodness sake get real. And is that braveheart jibe the best you can do Carlotta?
    I note you did not question Carney saying scotland would be better off "different" economically. I presume you agree with him?

Scotland and its citizens are IN the EU, when Greenland left it took a lot of effort to remove them as default position was they were citizens. That decision was not made by Denmark, read rUK, it was made by Greenlanders themselves when they voted.
    When East Germany joined West Germany their citizens automatically became members of the EU. Is it becoming easier for you to understand now?

The issue is simple, will treasury confirm a currency union or not. If more dithering, a conscious decision to obfuscate, they force a hand they may not like, but the EU and the populace will know where the blame needs to be apportioned. It is not UDI either, and the rUK refusing to accept a winning referendum result is not plausibe*, unless there are tanks and bayoneted troops down George Street, just like 1919 when the locals got a bit restless?
    Watching the crazy Scottish debate this week in the House of Lords by unelected lairds and numerous English lords with a vested interest and old pollies after 300 quid a day I think that would be their preferred choice, but common sense will no doubt occur.

*Although 1979 shows getting most votes in a referendum was not enough after an MP from England gerrymandered the vote.
    Greenland did not leave the EU it left the EEC. The EU did not exist at the time and is a very different beast today to what the EEC was then.

While I am fully supportive of scottish independence(and not because I want shot of you) I think you are kidding yourself if you believe that Spain is not going to oppose you at least and I suspect if Spain makes waves the EU will rather keep Spain happy than Scotland.

• Options
    ZenPagan said:

Greenland did not leave the EU it left the EEC. The EU did not exist at the time and is a very different beast today to what the EEC was then.

While I am fully supportive of scottish independence(and not because I want shot of you) I think you are kidding yourself if you believe that Spain is not going to oppose you at least and I suspect if Spain makes waves the EU will rather keep Spain happy than Scotland.

I agree Spain is an issue. The time of the Catalan referendum will influence Spain's approach. Problem is if they antagonise Scotland it will simply increase the anti Spanish vote in Catalonia.

• Options
    ZenPaganZenPagan Posts: 689

ZenPagan said:

I agree Spain is an issue. The time of the Catalan referendum will influence Spain's approach. Problem is if they antagonise Scotland it will simply increase the anti Spanish vote in Catalonia.

If they cared about increasing the anti spanish vote they wouldn't have refused a referendum because do not forget the catalonia one isn't government sanctioned.

On top of the Spain issue you have also had various eu flunkies pronounce upon the issue and lets face it even if the rules would let you in they will ignore it anyway to save face. My expectation is they will make Scotland reapply but fast track it so it only takes a couple of years as a sort of compromise

• Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    I thought it would be just what salmond wanted - to make the change to independence seem simple and seamless in many ways (at least for the electorate themselves)
  • Options
    The timing's a bit unfortunate, because it will take a while to play out how the Euro works out, whether the UK will join it, and what kind of a future these 20th Century-style national currencies have, if any.

That said, with all these uncertainties, sweeping the issue under the carpet seems like the right thing to do, since there's too little information about what will happen after either a yes vote or a no vote to make a meaningful decision based on it.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Just read about the Labour party reforms. Surely everyone welcomes this sort of change (apart from the unions). The Tory leadership shouldn't go around making snide comments about the unions but publicly welcome these reforms. This would have added advantage of winding up the unions!

Btw does any Labour person thing there is any chance at all that they will be rejected? Presumably the unions have already signed up.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited February 2014
    I think we've all learned by now that PB tories are hardly those best placed to judge scottish public opinion and the ins and outs of the Independence referendum. Hence their inability to know where currency was placed by the scottish public in the list of topics they wanted more information about to help decide how to vote in the independence referendum. A clue - It's nowhere near first.

Nor is remotely surprising that PB tories desperately look for anything to talk about rather than Cast Iron Cameron's continuing John Major style shambles after he proved his inability to control his own party by caving in to the tory rebels.
    Brian Groom ‏@GroomB 6h

Cameron’s EU plans start to fall apart:
    Hollande balks at treaty change, Lords kill referendum bill.
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/146f1c8c-8a78-11e3-9c29-00144feab7de.html
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Plan A is a currency union which Ladbrokes say is 1/100 to happen and they must therefore have more confidence than David has.

That was the press release - the actual bet was 1/100 that Scotland would not use a totally different currency well before independence was formalised. Something completely different I'm sure you'll agree.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Neil said:

That was the press release - the actual bet was 1/100 that Scotland would not use a totally different currency well before independence was formalised. Something completely different I'm sure you'll agree.
    You didn't read the press release. It had the odds for both options AND the date. So far from being completely different it just proved your knee-jerk ability to agree with PB tories without thinking through the consequnces.

I can very easily quote what you said and the entire press release if you like.
    Or we could draw our own conclusions after the PB tories refused to take up TUD when he offered a similar bet.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Move along, nothing to see here.
    Gerry ‏@archangelolill 8h

The Tory #immigration rebels have highlighted that David Cameron is undermined by both insubordination and mutiny. http://gu.com/p/3mbk9/tw

Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics

David Cameron left bruised and humiliated after being forced to raise the white flag to Tory immigration rebels: http://bit.ly/1loqGaO

Telegraph Politics ‏@TelePolitics

Cameron undermined as Tory rebels vote for 'unlawful' human rights laws http://tgr.ph/1flp7EX

Tory Eurosceptics accuse Treasury Mandarins of attempting to scare the public in favour of an EU ‘yes’ vote. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2545179/Treasury-mandarins-campaign-against-Britain-leaving-EU-fury-Tory-Eurosceptics.html#ixzz2rLkBzB1T

Comment is free ‏@commentisfree 18h

All at sea over immigration: David Cameron can't steer this Tory ship | @Hugh_Muir http://gu.com/p/3mbk9/tw
    Why would any Cameroons want to talk about the crisis in the tory party after all?
  • Options
    o/t - I've just noticed a next EU commissioner market from Paddy Power (a UK one, there's been an Irish one for a while):

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/politics/other-politics/european-politics?ev_oc_grp_ids=1616833

Hadnt seen it mentioned before. Isnt Andrew Mitchell value at 5/1?
  • Options
    Here is my cheerful prediction. The hearts will win over the heads by a very narrow margin - leaving the other half of Scotland deeply bitter. The hearts mob will not have got a settled answer on the currency, financial services regulation, etc and the journey into actual 'independence' will descend into a hostile fractious war of words and recriminations as the reality of the Yes vote kicks in.
  • Options
    I realise PB's resident 'green' has no doubt been endlessly banging on about climate change as usual, but this is still very funny indeed.
    uardian Environment ‏@guardianeco 12h

Climate change sceptics are 'headless chickens', says Prince Charles http://gu.com/p/3mc9e/tf
    At least he hasn't started hugging huskies.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/About/General/2012/1/27/1327679544410/David-Cameron-husky-dogs--007.jpg

*chortle*
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Neil said:

o/t - I've just noticed a next EU commissioner market from Paddy Power (a UK one, there's been an Irish one for a while):

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/politics/other-politics/european-politics?ev_oc_grp_ids=1616833

Hadnt seen it mentioned before. Isnt Andrew Mitchell value at 5/1?

Not too sure Dave wants to provide too many by-election opportunities even if OGH is pulling his hair .... er .... I mean fervently praying for them morning, noon and night.

On thread :

The currency question is easy to distil. Doubt and uncertainty are the friends of the IN campaign and have been from day one. It is the most difficult issue for Salmond to overcome and presently he has failed to do so.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,375
    Another excellent DH piece - I particularly like "putting the emphasis so heavily on one factor in the question will probably exaggerate the effect in the results" - just the kind of sober look at polling data that we need.

I think that Scotland will both want to and be able to keep the £ if independfence happens - yes, it's not ideal but they'll want to, just as smaller countries in Europe nearly all want to be in the Euro, (As a matter of interest, I had some difficulty changing £s in Japan - the first two banks I went to said they only handled dollars and euros now.)
    Millsy said:

Just read about the Labour party reforms. Surely everyone welcomes this sort of change (apart from the unions). The Tory leadership shouldn't go around making snide comments about the unions but publicly welcome these reforms. This would have added advantage of winding up the unions!

Btw does any Labour person thing there is any chance at all that they will be rejected? Presumably the unions have already signed up.

Yes, it's been clear for some time that the move to one member one vote is basically a done deal. It strikes a nice balance by giving a positive incentive to unions to get members to pay the supplement to join, while eliminating the votes of people who aren't willing to make any commitment. The only aspect that could cause some grumbles is that union members who join for an extra £3 or whatever are getting in more cheaply than people who join through the website, but "Let's make union members cough up more to join us" is not a call that will have widespread appeal. I'm sure there will still be some haggles before it's all nailed down though.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    JackW said:

On thread :

The currency question is easy to distil. Doubt and uncertainty are the friends of the IN campaign and have been from day one.

Worked well for scottish labour in 2011, didn't it Jack old chap?
    Balls and Miliband to rescue Labour’s Scottish campaign…

Can Ed Miliband and Ed Balls save Labour in Scotland? The two Labour heavyweights have decided to move in to rescue their party’s disastrous campaign in Scotland — with Balls being sent up north to sharpen his party’s teeth. A desperate measure for a desperate situation: Labour has not only blown a 10-15 point lead over the SNP in just a few weeks, but now languishes some 10-13 percentage points behind. A mammoth, humiliating defeat looms.

Until now, Labour has liked to portray its campaign for the Holyrood elections as a totally Scottish affair: run in Scotland, organised in Scotland and led by Scottish politicians. Not any more.

Senior staffers in Ed Miliband’s office started briefing Scottish hacks last night that Miliband is now going to take a much more "hands on" approach to the campaign. Miliband has only made one, brief appearance in the campaign so far. But he and Ed Balls are due to be in Scotland this week to push a more strident "anti-independence" message.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2011/04/balls-and-miliband-to-rescue-labours-scottish-campaign/
    Result, SNP landslide.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Has Carney rued the day yet ?

SNP too timid to offer a new currency - thus having to rely on London for economic gravitas.

Poor planning by the SNP - too naive to forsee the Euro crisis.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Hari RippedOffBriton ‏@RippedOffBriton 28m

Graphs at a glance - Who do MPs represent? What did they do before becoming MPs? http://bit.ly/IdlIf3

James Coulson ‏@jimcoulson47 Jan 30

David Cameron: Stop the 11% pay rise for MPs' salaries http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/david-cameron-stop-the-11-pay-rise-for-mps-salaries
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,375
    Another potentially lively court case:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2014/jan/31/jkrowling-dailymail

I guess we shouldn't comment for the usual reasons, but in general terms, anyone who takes on the media for allegedly slanted journalism is doing us all a favour by making it more likely that future writers will take care to strike a balance.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

JackW said:

On thread :

The currency question is easy to distil. Doubt and uncertainty are the friends of the IN campaign and have been from day one.

Worked well for scottish labour in 2011, didn't it Jack old chap?
    Balls and Miliband to rescue Labour’s Scottish campaign…

Can Ed Miliband and Ed Balls save Labour in Scotland? The two Labour heavyweights have decided to move in to rescue their party’s disastrous campaign in Scotland — with Balls being sent up north to sharpen his party’s teeth. A desperate measure for a desperate situation: Labour has not only blown a 10-15 point lead over the SNP in just a few weeks, but now languishes some 10-13 percentage points behind. A mammoth, humiliating defeat looms.

Until now, Labour has liked to portray its campaign for the Holyrood elections as a totally Scottish affair: run in Scotland, organised in Scotland and led by Scottish politicians. Not any more.

Senior staffers in Ed Miliband’s office started briefing Scottish hacks last night that Miliband is now going to take a much more "hands on" approach to the campaign. Miliband has only made one, brief appearance in the campaign so far. But he and Ed Balls are due to be in Scotland this week to push a more strident "anti-independence" message.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2011/04/balls-and-miliband-to-rescue-labours-scottish-campaign/
    Result, SNP landslide.

So by implication you're projecting a landslide YES vote ?

There's a distinct difference between electing the main opposition to government over a discredited Labour party and opting for Independence. The mindset of the voter is entirely different - Independence is for keeps not just a SNP Christmas.

In any case we only have 8 months of banter to enjoy before once again JackW and his ARSE is proved correct and you and other critics scuttle for cover .... and then I have a further 8 months to revel in the excuses of those who doubt my projection for the Greneral Election.

Happy days !!

• Options
    I think MickPork is right in the sense that the more the No crowd push currency fear the more the Scottish people are likely to kick back - so sowing the seeds of doubt may actually help the Yes campaign. Trouble is the currency issue is a giant hairy gorilla in the corner and the Nats cannot control the way England chooses to play ball. There is a real chance that the people will vote Yes assuming they can keep the Pound only to find this is not the case after they have voted.
  • Options
    Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics 20m

Tory MP Anne McIntosh de-selected following bitter bust-up with local party: http://bit.ly/Liou41

Lib Dem News ‏@LibDemNews 9h

Lib Dem Voice: Thirsk and Malton: Tory MP Anne McIntosh de-selected, 5-way marginal for 2015?: Interesting new... http://bit.ly/1emCzJ0
  • Options
    @JackW

I'm sure Dave would prefer to avoid a by-election but there arent many non MPs being touted for it. Mitchell's constituency is as good a one to defend as any. Can you think of any Tory peers up to the job? ;)
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

SNP too timid to offer a new currency - thus having to rely on London for economic gravitas.

As for Scottish currency I'm putting forward plans for the Auchentennach Groat to be administered by PB's foremost numismatist - Mark Senior - and some Nigerian banking chums.

What could possibly go wrong ?!?

• Options
    edited February 2014
    JackW said:

No old chap, I'm pointing out the facts. Which are that a relentlessly negative campaign by scottish labour in 2011 didn't turn out too well for them despite them being well ahead months out from the actual poll. I think the Independence referendum will be close but Yes will win.
    JackW said:

There's a distinct difference between electing the main opposition to government over a discredited Labour party and opting for Independence. The mindset of the voter is entirely different - Independence is for keeps not just a SNP Christmas.

Small problem.
    Scottish labour campaigned on a negative "anti-independence" message during 2011 as some of us remember and just showed you with little Ed and Balls own strategy laid bare.
    JackW said:

In any case we only have 8 months of banter to enjoy before once again JackW and his ARSE is proved correct and you and other critics scuttle for cover .... and then I have a further 8 months to revel in the excuses of those who doubt my projection for the Greneral Election.

Happy days !!

We do. Eight long months and this was the last we heard from the 'gold standard'.
    Suddenly independence looks within Salmond’s grasp in new ICM poll

ICM Scotland on Sunday IndyRef poll

Time to start betting on YES

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2014/01/26/suddenly-independence-looks-within-salmond-s-grasp-in-new-icm-poll/
  • Options

Another potentially lively court case:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2014/jan/31/jkrowling-dailymail

I guess we shouldn't comment for the usual reasons, but in general terms, anyone who takes on the media for allegedly slanted journalism is doing us all a favour by making it more likely that future writers will take care to strike a balance.

Nick, how about doing PB a great service and providing us with a "lively court case" ??

I propose something post your election as MP for Broxtowe along the lines of electoral fraud, spiced up with some saucy sexual titillation and the death a la "Midsomer Murders" of all your PPC opponents ??

• Options
    Neil said:

@JackW

I'm sure Dave would prefer to avoid a by-election but there arent many non MPs being touted for it. Mitchell's constituency is as good a one to defend as any. Can you think of any Tory peers up to the job? ;)

Plenty .... but preferably a Scottish hereditary peer who has a few moments to spare .....

• Options
    Patrick said:

Trouble is the currency issue is a giant hairy gorilla in the corner and the Nats cannot control the way England chooses to play ball.

It's really not. You think both campaigns don't know exactly where the scottish public rate certain issues as a priority they want more information on to decide how to vote? They do.
    Currency is 8th. Only ahead of the monarchy and the BBC as topics.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Nothing to do with being timid, the pound has been Scottish for 300 years, a scottish asset. Sure you agree. It will not change. If London wants to use a peg to US dollar that will be their call. Both equally silly as ideas.
  • Options

London hoping to wait until 19th September on the EU and currency is no longer an option.
    We could get the London official position in 24 hours.

Really?

Why?
  • Options
    @Mick_Pork

Do you promise to stick with PB after YES lose ??

Excellent if you do .... Think Quebec, you'll be with us for decades !!
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

JackW said:

Small problem.
    Scottish labour campaigned on a negative "anti-independence" message during 2011 as some of us remember and just showed you with little Ed and Balls own strategy laid bare.

Happy days !!
    We do. Eight long months and this was the last we heard from the 'gold standard'.

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2014/01/26/suddenly-independence-looks-within-salmond-s-grasp-in-new-icm-poll/
    Mick_Pork said:

JackW said:

No old chap, I'm pointing out the facts. Which are that a relentlessly negative campaign by scottish labour in 2011 didn't turn out too well for them despite them being well ahead months out from the actual poll. I think the Independence referendum will be close but Yes will win.
    JackW said:

Small problem.
    JackW said:

Happy days !!

There had to be a realistic chance of winning for people and MSM to take it seriously. I bet a fair whack last week via Bet 365 on a yes. I thought it would be 55-45 against until recently but now I genuinely expect the reverse on a 65% turnout.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

a scottish asset
    It's not an "asset" like Bute House or Eck's tartan trews - it's a monetary instrument, issued on behalf of the UK government by the Bank of England - and Eck keeping repeating its "an asset" isn't going to turn it into one.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    JackW said:

@Mick_Pork

Seth O Logue is still posting I notice. As are all the PB tories who were certain a tory majority was "nailed on" in 2010. The PB Romneys too. So even if I was wrong I would hardly fear the opprobrium of those who have been proved spectacularly wrong on PB many times before.

And must we start down the rather 'delicate' road of who is even able to 'stick' with PB and why, Jack? I fear your Moderator chums may not approve. ;)
  • Options
    In a speech in East Ayrshire, the Shadow Chancellor said: "The Governor's important speech is a wake-up call to those who want to avoid discussing what the economic consequences of breaking-up the UK would be for Scotland.

"He was clear the eurozone showed currency union without fiscal union won't work. But the SNP immediately rejected fiscal union. Salmond's rejection of the key test set by the Governor makes an already flawed proposal even more unworkable," said Mr Balls.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/salmond-stands-firm-on-tax-and-spending-powers.23326332
  • Options
    Does Clegg seem a bit quiet of late after the immigration vote shambles? Maybe there's a reason for that.
    Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics 44m

EXCL: @nick_clegg plunged into chaos as PR guru quits after 2 months: http://bit.ly/1lqEYaW
    Two months! A good run indeed. Almost an entire chapter of the Rennard scandal.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

JackW said:

@Mick_Pork

Seth O Logue is still posting I notice. As are all the PB tories who were certain a tory majority was "nailed on" in 2010. The PB Romneys too. So even if I was wrong I would hardly fear the opprobrium of those who have been proved spectacularly wrong on PB many times before.

And must we start down the rather 'delicate' road of who is even able to 'stick' with PB and why, Jack? I fear your Moderator chums may not approve. ;)
    Some come, some go for all manner of reasons, and "delicate" or not I've always been of the view that PB is at its best when we are a broad church and that for the most part, unless of the gravest offence, that those red carded should be welcomed back in due course.

I especially look forward to the return of "Stuart Truth" in around January 2016 !!

• Options
    edited February 2014

In a speech in East Ayrshire, the Shadow Chancellor said: "The Governor's important speech is a wake-up call to those who want to avoid discussing what the economic consequences of breaking-up the UK would be for Scotland.

"He was clear the eurozone showed currency union without fiscal union won't work. But the SNP immediately rejected fiscal union. Salmond's rejection of the key test set by the Governor makes an already flawed proposal even more unworkable," said Mr Balls.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/salmond-stands-firm-on-tax-and-spending-powers.23326332

Scottish tories, adorable and consistent as ever.

'Balls is a terrible shadow chancellor and toxic! Listen to Balls warnings on independence as he must know what he's talking about!'

I do hope spouting labour and Balls spin doesn't leave a nasty taste in the mouth.

LOL
  • Options
    ALEX Salmond's preferred fast-track route for an independent Scotland's membership of the EU could be stymied by President Francois Hollande's firm "non" to treaty change, one of the UK's top legal experts has suggested.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/wider-political-news/french-non-spells-trouble-for-cameron-and-salmond.23324470
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Enjoyable piece, Mr. Herdson. I wonder if anyone recalls the excellent Mr. India sketches from Goodness Gracious Me? One or two chaps (well, Salmond, at least) sometimes sound like Mr. Scotland.

"Sterling? Scottish! Oil? Scottish! Military regiments with the word 'Scotland' in name? Scottish! Debt? Oh, that's English."
  • Options
    A currency union is in the best interests of both sides, so of course there'll be one. The terms are the issue. An independent Scotland will agree to those set out by the rUK because if the Scots want currency union they'll have no other choice. Obviously, at this stage neither Yes nor No is going to acknowledge this.
  • Options
    JackW said:

I especially look forward to the return of "Stuart Truth" in around January 2016 !!

As does Seth O Logue I'm sure. ;)
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

'Balls is a terrible shadow chancellor and toxic! Listen to Balls warnings on independence as he must know what he's talking about!'

I do hope spouting labour and Balls spin doesn't leave a nasty taste in the mouth.

LOL
    Good heavens! A post from you that is on topic!

Given the separatists need Labour voters to vote for separation, the views of Balls on the matter are non-trivial......now back to posting on Osbrowne, fops, Clegg, anything but Scotland with you!

• Options
    Guardian politics ‏@GdnPolitics 17h

Hollande: Cameron's EU reforms would trigger French referendum http://bit.ly/1fDKSOW
    I think we can safely take take that as a great big "Non".

Gullible Tory Eurosceptics. Will they ever learn?
  • Options

A currency union is in the best interests of both sides

It's clearly in the best interests of Scotland, given the SNP have ruled out their own currency - but with the size of the Scottish banking sector it's far from clear it's in the best interests of rUK - as Carney obliquely pointed out.

Currency unions work best with fiscal and political unions - it's called "the United Kingdom".

• Options
    Miss Vance, that does remind me that there's a push for greater banking and fiscal union in the eurozone.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

The Tory #immigration rebels have highlighted that David Cameron is undermined by both insubordination and mutiny. http://gu.com/p/3mbk9/tw

David Cameron left bruised and humiliated after being forced to raise the white flag to Tory immigration rebels: http://bit.ly/1loqGaO

Cameron undermined as Tory rebels vote for 'unlawful' human rights laws http://tgr.ph/1flp7EX

Tory Eurosceptics accuse Treasury Mandarins of attempting to scare the public in favour of an EU ‘yes’ vote. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2545179/Treasury-mandarins-campaign-against-Britain-leaving-EU-fury-Tory-Eurosceptics.html#ixzz2rLkBzB1T

All at sea over immigration: David Cameron can't steer this Tory ship | @Hugh_Muir http://gu.com/p/3mbk9/tw
    Why would any Cameroons want to talk about the crisis in the tory party after all?

So pretty much the "disaster for Labour" coverage many on here were predicting. Cameron played it brilliantly.

• Options
    edited February 2014

Mick_Pork said:

LOL
    Good heavens! A post from you that is on topic!

Given the separatists need Labour voters to vote for separation, the views of Balls on the matter are non-trivial......now back to posting on Osbrowne, fops, Clegg, anything but Scotland with you!
    Calm down dear. Being an amusing labour spinner clearly interferes with your blood pressure. It's hardly my fault the PB tories want to pretend the fop wasn't just humiliated by his own backbench rebels and isn't facing far more of the same as his Cast Iron Master Strategy falls to pieces around him.
    James @ TBPL ‏@what_mortgage 1h

Saturday Papers: Cameron’s EU plans start to fall apart: And global equities recorded their worst start to a y... http://bit.ly/1fH892G
    I've self made plenty of posts on topic and I'm happy to repeat the most pertinent since you seemed incapable of grasping them the first time.
    Patrick said:

Trouble is the currency issue is a giant hairy gorilla in the corner...

Mick_Pork said:

It's really not. You think both campaigns don't know exactly where the scottish public rate certain issues as a priority they want more information on to decide how to vote? They do. Currency is rated 8th. Only ahead of the monarchy and the BBC as topics.

• Options
    F1: a look at the first test and related stuff is now up:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/f1-2014-first-test.html

I'll probably have just one more pre-season piece, covering both tests 2 and 3 (they're fairly close together).
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Guardian politics ‏@GdnPolitics 17h

Hollande: Cameron's EU reforms would trigger French referendum http://bit.ly/1fDKSOW
    I think we can safely take take that as a great big "Non".

Gullible Tory Eurosceptics. Will they ever learn?
    If it's a great big "Non" for Cameron, it's also a great big "Non" for Eck and his EU membership fast track.....
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,130

I think Carlotta is absolutely right; in the event of a 'yes' vote and a negotiation with London, and formal independence on (say) 1 February 2017, then I think continued membership of the EU would be assured, and that there would be a transitional agreement on using the British Pound.

The issue comes if there is no agreement on certain issues: say Scotland refused to take a penny of British debt, in which case I think - as Carlotta says - the only option for Scotland would be UDI. In that circumstance, Spain, the UK, and France would all oppose Scotland's entry into the EU.
  • Options
    Genuine question. I read in the press that Scotland can't possibly enter a currency union with the UK, such a thing couldn't work. And yet the UK is already in various forms of currency union with non-UK nations including the Isle of Man and the bailiwicks of Guernsey and Jersey.

In the Isle of Man (deviance! Yes!) as I understand it the Manx pound is separate from but interchangable with Sterling at a 1:1 exchange rate. The Island has sovereignty but pursues a policy to shadow Sterling, and had previously said that if the UK adopted the Euro they would follow.

So I don't get the loss of sovereignty argument when it comes to fiat currencies. Where was our sovereignty when the currency was attacked in the mid70s and early 90s and we had to do things not in the national interest because of the actions of others. Or Argentina or Turkey or South Africa's sovereignty right now as their currencies have to be propped up or collapse. When nations create pretend money there is little sovereignty anyway as their paper floats on the wind of speculation. If Scotland chose to back its currency with something of actual value such as oil or metals that might be different. But otherwise Scotland with the pound would be no different to France with the Euro.

I don't want Scotland to leave. But as scare stories go this one is stupid.
  • Options

Mick_Pork said:

So pretty much the "disaster for Labour" coverage many on here were predicting. Cameron played it brilliantly.

We are all well used to that on here by now from the PB tories. Still very funny though. :)

Now we wait to see where the next tory rebellion is going to emerge from since emerge it most certainly shall. Sooner or later.

Solid Renegotiation details and big concessions from Cammie to the tory rebels looks likely. However, I wouldn't rule out something else on immigration when the kipper VI starts to climb again before May's EU elections. Panic tends to add a certain amount of unpredictability.

• Options
    It was hilarious watching Mr Salmond react to the Carney visit. The Governor of the Bank of England is, ex officio, the sort of person he likes to mock – a classic representative of Scotland’s London oppressors. But Mr Carney, a Canadian of Irish descent, doesn’t quite fit the caricature. Besides, it is essential to Mr Salmond’s mask of respectability that he defer to the Governor. After all, in his vision of an independent Scotland, Mr Carney will be his ever-indulgent bank manager. So the First Minister burbled about “technical” discussions and smiled uneasily. He had to hold back his anger at seeing his plans politely trashed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/10610041/Mark-Carney-is-a-supreme-technocrat-but-politicians-must-take-the-lead.html
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Wondering if some Tories now want and are playing for a YES vote. It would certainly give them the opportunity to renegotiate the UK's relationship with the EU and would make it easier for them to hold on to no10.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Next thing we know the scottish tories will be expecting everyone to take Charles Moore's spin seriouisly.

This Charles Moore.

He has been editor of The Spectator (1984-90), the Sunday Telegraph (1992-5) and The Daily Telegraph (1995-2003).

He is the authorised biographer of Margaret Thatcher and continues to write for The Spectator and The Daily Telegraph.

Someone the scottish public is clearly guaranteed to listen to and respect.
    Or perhaps maybe just a touch right wing for the scottish public?

*tears of laughter etc.*
  • Options

A currency union is in the best interests of both sides

It's clearly in the best interests of Scotland, given the SNP have ruled out their own currency - but with the size of the Scottish banking sector it's far from clear it's in the best interests of rUK - as Carney obliquely pointed out.

Currency unions work best with fiscal and political unions - it's called "the United Kingdom".

Clearly, many of those voting Yes will not get the level of sovereignty they want. And this will disappoint many who believe independence will create a different, more utopian country. But they'll have more control than they do now. And the ability to pursue other options in the future. Most important, I suspect, Scotland will be recognised internationally as a separate country. That, in the end, is what this process is really about. The detail is neither here nor there.

• Options
    Mr. Pioneers, worth mentioning that Scotland has a population of around 5m, and a proportionally larger banking sector than the UK (a figure I found very surprising, but there we are). The Isle of Man has 84,000 people on it, and the Channel Islands aren't huge either. It's not a fair comparison, because the difference in scale is enormous.

Mr. Jonathan, anyone willing to play constitutional games for a possible political advantage needs a slap with a large haddock. First up, the Labour clowns who thought they'd killed nationalism stone dead with the stupid Scottish Parliament and the unforgivable (and copied by all other major parties) failure to ask, let alone answer, the West Lothian Question.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I think Carlotta is absolutely right; in the event of a 'yes' vote and a negotiation with London, and formal independence on (say) 1 February 2017, then I think continued membership of the EU would be assured, and that there would be a transitional agreement on using the British Pound.

The issue comes if there is no agreement on certain issues: say Scotland refused to take a penny of British debt, in which case I think - as Carlotta says - the only option for Scotland would be UDI. In that circumstance, Spain, the UK, and France would all oppose Scotland's entry into the EU.

I am not sure Scotland will get continued EU membership. But it will certainly become an EU member once the details have been sorted. In case of UDI it will be more than Spain, France and the UK who would oppose. In any case, the Scots won't do that - it would be a recipe for economic and financial disaster.

• Options
    I'm not entirely sure if this is a threat or aspiration. ;)
    Either way, it doesn't sound like Farage is very upset over Cameron's EU shambles.
    dave-UKIP ‏@dassie40 18m

FARAGE ON FRIDAY: Just imagine how much we could do with Ukip MPs in Westminster! | UK | News | Daily Express http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/457272/FARAGE-ON-FRIDAY-Just-imagine-how-much-we-could-do-with-Ukip-MPs-in-Westminster
    It's almost tempting to think he's absolutely delighted with the chaos inside the tory party.
    But why on earth would that be the case?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,130

Mr. Pioneers, worth mentioning that Scotland has a population of around 5m, and a proportionally larger banking sector than the UK (a figure I found very surprising, but there we are). The Isle of Man has 84,000 people on it, and the Channel Islands aren't huge either. It's not a fair comparison, because the difference in scale is enormous.

Mr. Jonathan, anyone willing to play constitutional games for a possible political advantage needs a slap with a large haddock. First up, the Labour clowns who thought they'd killed nationalism stone dead with the stupid Scottish Parliament and the unforgivable (and copied by all other major parties) failure to ask, let alone answer, the West Lothian Question.

Ireland had a currency union with the UK for 50 years post independence, of course. And IIRC Luxembourg had one with (one of, I forget which) Belgium or the Netherlands.

It is not impossible to have one, but it has to be to the advantage of both players.
  • Options
    Interesting take on Miliband's leadership rules change policy:

Labour plans to cut unions' power:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25992825

It's actually hard to say whether it's reducing or increasing the power of the unions. A legitimate case can be made either way. Bit odd to remove the voting rights of MPs, though.

That said, I think it's probably a positive move. Miliband is right to take steps to alter a system so flawed that it led to the election of Ed Miliband as leader.

And the unions can hardly complain that he's stabbed his brothers in the back. It's his MO.
  • Options

Genuine question. I read in the press that Scotland can't possibly enter a currency union with the UK, such a thing couldn't work. And yet the UK is already in various forms of currency union with non-UK nations including the Isle of Man and the bailiwicks of Guernsey and Jersey.

Eck's tried the Isle of Man argument before:

“The Isle of Man is a Crown Dependency and is not in a currency union with the UK. It has no central bank and no lender of last resort. Is he honestly trying to tell the people of Scotland that it is a good idea to have no-one standing behind our banks and to have no say in how our mortgage or savings rates are set?

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scottish-independence-isle-of-man-currency-model-1-3002351

It's fair to say he hasn't used it in a while.

The UK is NOT in currency unions with the IoM or the Channel Islands - they issue their own currencies which are pegged at parity with the GBP. Carney set out the technical requirements for a successful currency union - fiscal union and transfers and political union - it's called "the United Kingdom".
  • Options
    edited February 2014

the stupid Scottish Parliament

At last! An election slogan for the tories that can't possibly backfire.
    Never mind having more Pandas than MPs this seems designed to deliver the same for tory MSPs.

Not hard to tell why even scottish labour wants the tories to vanish from the referendum campaign lest they damage things beyond repair. Keep at it PB tories, you are in no way a complete liability.

:)

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Ireland had a currency union with the UK for 50 years post independence, of course. And IIRC Luxembourg had one with (one of, I forget which) Belgium or the Netherlands.

It is not impossible to have one, but it has to be to the advantage of both players.

Exactly. The rUK will not agree to a deal that fails to safeguard its interests. An independent Scotland will need a deal. It won't be a long negotiation: rUK will say these are our terms, Scotland will say OK. And that will be that.

• Options
    F1: unimpressed with the BBC. Was just reading the comments on the Testing Times piece, http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25984458, and saw this:

"For some better informed feedback on the Jerez tests go to Autosport and read Gary Anderson's columns. Shame on the BBC that they don't even have the decency to inform their viewers that GA has left their F1 reporting team for 2014: he was just "disappeared"."

Gary Anderson was practically the only good addition to the BBC's coverage after their Judas Iscariot approach to F1 fans and coverage of the sport. Damned shame he seems to have left.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Wondering if some Tories now want and are playing for a YES vote.

It would definitely explain much on PB for a start.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Ireland had a currency union with the UK for 50 years post independence,
    Did it? I may be mistaken, but I thought they had their own currency and a parity peg with Sterling - the BoE was not LOLR afaik.

Given the size of its banking sector, Scotland needs a LOLR and that LOLR will want to supervise its banks.....
  • Options
    Just found these Survey results, published recently but actually carried out last summer re the £500 question. Funnily, none of the Scots Nats mentioned it.
    Asked how they would vote if they thought independence would make them £500 per year better off, backing for a split from the UK soared from 29% to 52%, while opposition fell to 30%.

By contrast, only 15% said they would back independence if they felt they would be £500 worse off, while 72% would vote No.

When the same question was put to voters in 2011, 65% said they would vote Yes if they thought they would be £500 better off.
    It does go on to say that "arguments over Europe, welfare and currency, which have dominated the campaign, made "little difference" to how most Scots would vote", however, I'm not particularly convinced by that. The currency question is so central to the economic one that the two can't be easily separated. It's like noting that the EU has little salience on issues of concern while ignoring the link between that and immigration, which does.
  • Options
    Mr. Pork, I've consistently been against the concept of the Scottish Parliament and devolution as it stands (ie none for the English). It's unreasonable to have devolved power in Wales and Scotland but not England (Northern Ireland is a separate case, for obvious reasons).
  • Options

Eck's tried the Isle of Man argument before:

“The Isle of Man is a Crown Dependency and is not in a currency union with the UK. It has no central bank and no lender of last resort. Is he honestly trying to tell the people of Scotland that it is a good idea to have no-one standing behind our banks and to have no say in how our mortgage or savings rates are set?

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scottish-independence-isle-of-man-currency-model-1-3002351

It's fair to say he hasn't used it in a while.

The UK is NOT in currency unions with the IoM or the Channel Islands - they issue their own currencies which are pegged at parity with the GBP. Carney set out the technical requirements for a successful currency union - fiscal union and transfers and political union - it's called "the United Kingdom".
    Scotland becoming a Crown Dependency after a Yes vote would be an excellent solution. The prize of no Scottish MPs in Westminster is mouth watering.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Just found these Survey results, published recently but actually carried out last summer re the £500 question. Funnily, none of the Scots Nats mentioned it.

We'll discuss it when we hear the same question put for how £500 would affect voting intentions for westminster. Funny how that still hasn't been asked yet.

Equally amusing are those who fail to realise such questions will obviously boil down to trust come the referendum vote. Not to sure 'trust' is something little Ed, Cammie or Clegg would be wise to place all their faith in considering just how much the scottish public trusts them.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,139
    First mistake is that it was Better Together themselves that labelled their campaign as Project Fear. If YES was naming it anything it would be project Incompetence
  • Options
    Mr. G, is your avatar Robert the Bruce? There's a similar sort of statue in Leeds of Edward of Woodstock (the Black Prince). It's rather nice, actually.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

First mistake is that it was Better Together themselves that labelled their campaign as Project Fear. If YES was naming it anything it would be project Incompetence

You left self off the end of "it" in your concluding sentence.

• Options
    Ref the Ladbrokes odds, this is an extract from the press release (quoted on Politics Home):
    Scotland to form a currency union with the United Kingdom before the 31st of December 2015

Yes 1/100

No 50/1

Bets void if referendum outcome is 'no' to independence
    Do your own research but I do think there's some value on No there. It all turns on the wording. I've no doubt that the preference would be to keep Sterling and that an independent Scotland could adopt it unilaterally if they wanted to (though only by giving up all control over monetary policy). However, the key word is "form". That implies some agreement that is not there now and that's not a racing certainty, though it would be a likelihood in the event of a Yes. Put another way, I think a unilateral adoption of Sterling, without rUK's agreement, should count as No in this bet, as no 'union' would have been formed - as would negotiations dragging on into 2016.

The bet is as much about Ladbrokes interpretation of their own wording as it is of the facts on the ground. That said, it's all hypothecated on the basis of a Yes vote in September, which I don't expect.
  • Options

LOL, only you could come up with that crap, unfortunately for you when the vote is YES it is a done deal , Westminster will have no say in the matter. Also as Westminster confirmed under international law Scotland have no debt and no obligation to assume the UK's debt.
    Once the markets give Dave and Gideon their guidance they will be at the table signing up with few objections.
    We can survive with no debt , I think the rump with its £1.4T will be in a bit worse shape come the day. Little Englanders like you will be shocked.
  • Options
    Harry Hayfield's latest full by-election results ans analysis for January are here. http://t.co/uJ6QLJP8Co

Note that the Tories lost every seat they were defending - not a good start to 2014.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Robert, did Ireland have any influence or input into monetary or economic policy whilst it shared a currency with the UK or was it entirely left to the UK to decide policy? I don't think anyone disagrees that Scotland could use the pound but the question is whether that would allow them any influence over policy?
  • Options
    Mr. G, it's comments like that, crowing about the debt (due largely to Scottish banks and chancellors) you'll be leaving behind and mocking 'Little Englanders' which make Salmond's claim that, post-independence, England and Scotland will be 'best pals' so incredible.

I do fear any break-up could be more acrimonious than many hope it will be.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Ref the Ladbrokes odds, this is not an extract from the press release (quoted on Politics Home): This is the full press release.
    Press Releases

Wednesday 29th January 2014 | 16:26
    Ladbrokes: Scotland 1/100 to enter currency union - 50/1 not to

Ladbrokes press release

Scotland certs for currency union

Scotland are a racing certainty to form a currency union should they vote 'yes' to independence, according to Ladbrokes.

The book is now open on the prospects of the formation of the union, should Scotland break away from the rest of the UK and it's a near-certainty at 1/100 that they keep sterling, with 50/1 the price that any other currency, including the Euro, is used.

For context, Scotland are 50/1 to win the upcoming 6 Nations while 1/100 is the price Scotland would be to beat San Marino in an international football match.

Alex Donohue of Ladbrokes said: "It's about as uncompetitive as a betting contest can be. Punters would win a penny for ever pound staked on an independent Scotland sticking with sterling."

Ladbrokes latest betting

Scotland to form a currency union with the United Kingdom before the 31st of December 2015

Yes 1/100

No 50/1

Referendum outcome

Yes 7/2

No 1/5

http://www.politicshome.com/uk/article/92105/ladbrokes_scotland_1_100_to_enter_currency_union_50_1_not_to.html
  • Options
    Neil said:

Neil, You seem to be mistaken,
    Ladbrokes latest betting

Yes 1/100

No 50/1

Referendum outcome

Yes 7/2

No 1/5
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Here is my cheerful prediction. The hearts will win over the heads by a very narrow margin - leaving the other half of Scotland deeply bitter. The hearts mob will not have got a settled answer on the currency, financial services regulation, etc and the journey into actual 'independence' will descend into a hostile fractious war of words and recriminations as the reality of the Yes vote kicks in.

You got teh first bit right patrick, the second bit is wishful thinking , we will do just fine.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Carney was very positive on currency union , no issues from him other than it has to be agreed sensibly and both parties stick to it. He only confirmed what the Scottish government have been saying for a long time. I have yet to hear any major Westminster politician say there will not be a currency union, as they know like Ladbroke's that it is a racing certainty.
  • Options
    @David_Herdson

If that was the bet it would be value. That's not the bet they are offering though (the actual bet is horrific value on both sides).

Re Ireland - we used the same currency for a few years and then pegged a new currency to sterling for about 50 years, there was never a currency union with the UK.
  • Options
    JackW said:

TGOHF said:

As for Scottish currency I'm putting forward plans for the Auchentennach Groat to be administered by PB's foremost numismatist - Mark Senior - and some Nigerian banking chums.

What could possibly go wrong ?!?

Will your money be accepted in London jack or are you planning to return from exile.
  • Options
    @MalcolmG

I cant check right now but sadly I dont think I'm mistaken. Try and find the bet on their website, it's ridiculousm
  • Options

TGOHF said:

a scottish asset
    It's not an "asset" like Bute House or Eck's tartan trews - it's a monetary instrument, issued on behalf of the UK government by the Bank of England - and Eck keeping repeating its "an asset" isn't going to turn it into one.
    Poor Carlotta is distraught that we own a part of the BofE and the pound is also ours.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    What is Salmond's fall back position? If a No separation vote wins, what does he do?

Blame Sturgeon? Offer his resignation, or sign up for additional spending powers from Westminster?

• Options
    edited February 2014
    malcolmg said:

Neil said:

Neil, You seem to be mistaken
    His fondness for Seth O Logue seems to be affecting his eyesight and tendency to spin wildly

• Options

Good morning, everyone.

Enjoyable piece, Mr. Herdson. I wonder if anyone recalls the excellent Mr. India sketches from Goodness Gracious Me? One or two chaps (well, Salmond, at least) sometimes sound like Mr. Scotland.

"Sterling? Scottish! Oil? Scottish! Military regiments with the word 'Scotland' in name? Scottish! Debt? Oh, that's English."

MD as quoted recently by Westminster , officially the debt is the UK's and Scotland has nothing to do with it. Do you not read the newspapers. We have graciously agreed to help out if the rats at Westminster play with a straight bat, but have no obligation if they are crooked as usual.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Patrick said:

There is a real chance that the people will vote Yes assuming they can keep the Pound only to find this is not the case after they have voted.

Patrick, there is absolutely no question: the Scots can continue to use the pound if they like.

What they can't be certain of is that it will be as part of a formal currency union and that they would be represented on the MPC et al.
  • Options
    Ok I get the IOM argument (as I said, it was a genuine question).

As to the other half of my argument, about fiscal sovereignty. Membership of the Euro cedes sovereignty to the ECB, as has been made clear few states have any real influence over a monetary policy which has been bad for everyone. So sovereignty is a red herring as other currency unions cope ok with that sort of arrangement.

Nor do I see much sovereignty with many of the world's currencies. Scotland in essence has a choice of paper it can issue as currency, all have issues around stability and control which is no different to its membership of Sterling at the moment. Unless someone wants to suggest with a straight face that UK monetary policy has always been influenced by and executed in the best interests of Scotland.

If the no camp thing this will scare floating voters, I'm not convinced.
  • Options

A currency union is in the best interests of both sides, so of course there'll be one. The terms are the issue. An independent Scotland will agree to those set out by the rUK because if the Scots want currency union they'll have no other choice. Obviously, at this stage neither Yes nor No is going to acknowledge this.

One sane rump UK person on here at least
This discussion has been closed.