Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Is Johnson right about the polls just before he resigned last July – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,581

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

It';;

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Taz said:

Pagan2 said:

Taz said:

What do you know. I was reading the pb thread on cycling on my way home and then what should happen but a young man shoots past me on a bike. I have to admit my main issue with cyclists on pavements has been with teenage boys.

Went in to the shop and find my wallet burning from buying a few groceries. Given that wheat, oil and gas prices have come right down again, can anyone give an explanation for why this is? I know it takes time for these things to work their way through......

One thing that really annoys me is cyclists without lights, at night. There're a fair few around here that do it, mostly (but not solely) kids.
    Also those people staring into their phones as they amble along the pavement..
    Even worse while listening to music with iPods and unable to hear the bell.
    If your cycle isn't meant to be there why the fuck should we listen for your bell?
    Where I cycle it is meant to be there. Many of the pavements by me are dual use. 🙄

In my experience everywhere dual use the pavements have a line down the centre one marked cyclists and on marked pedestrians. I in this case stick to the pedestrian side....cyclists not so much
    Shared use paths tend to be marked with a sign like this:
    (Snip)
    And paths where there is a dividing line with a different sign like this:
    (Snip)
    Though I have the same problems with whether to notify pedestrians of my presence on both types of paths, and pedestrians often forget which side of the path is which.
    So do cyclists. ;)

And to be fair, sometimes you do need to walk in the cycle part, for instance if the pedestrian side is blocked by a sign (that does happen annoyingly often), or passing other pedestrians. But as always, you should check and ensure that you're not inconveniencing other road users.

Here's an idea: a speed limit on shared paths of (say) 10 MPH.
    Is anybody on this Site aware of anybody being fined for breaking the speed limit?

I ask because most London Boroughs have 20mph limits now and they apply 24/7 every day of the year. If you stick rigourously to the limit you are likely to be overtaken occasionally by a cyclist, yet I do not recall ever seeing one stopped.

You can get a ticket I suspect as I once got arrested for "drunk in charge of a shopping trolley"....stag night in my early twenties and was carrying a passenger which may have contributed
    Speed limits only apply to motor vehicles. :smile:

There may be some local byelaws that apply speed limits to bikes, however.
    Speed limits can apply to bikes, but it's bloody difficult to enforce them unless they're actually caught in the act and have ID on them that they show to the police.
    Under which law?

eg the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 specifically says "Motor Vehicles". As did the previous act in 1903, and then in 1934.
    https://www.slatergordon.co.uk/newsroom/can-cyclists-break-the-speed-limit/

As I say - possible but extremely rare under local byelaws.
    It can be deemed a breach of section 29 of the Road Traffic Act 1988:

If a person rides a cycle on a road without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road, he is guilty of an offence.

By definition, riding in excess of the speed limit is showing a lack of consideration.

But it is a bugger to enforce due to the lack of licensing so most police forces don't bother.
    I think it will be a bit of a stretch for PC Copper to argue that Jemima Cyclist was being inconsiderate by not obeying a speed limit which is explicitly defined in law as not applying to people on bikes.

Plenty of things can be cycling without due care, including perhaps inappropriate speed, but that would bear no relation to a posted speed limit.
    It is considerably more reckless to speed on a bike than in a car. Why? Because its brakes are not as good. And because it has less adhesion it's much easier to lose control of it.

Of course, it's likely to do less actual damage if it does go wahoonie shaped, because it's lighter.

So yes, they can absolutely take that view, and it is hardly a stretch.

But as I say, they don't bother. Mostly in my experience of Staffordshire and Gloucestershire because they're not interested in enforcing laws unless they can see a fat profit for minimal work.
    I'd actually question your statements about braking etc,, but that would be a rabbithole.
    But hey, this is PB.

The hydraulic disc brakes on my cargo e-bike (Tern GSD) are seriously good. I have no idea what model they are but they stop on a sixpence even with two kids on the back. I'm more confident doing an emergency stop in it than I would be with Mrs Capitano's car.

I think hydraulic discs are pretty common on cargo e-bikes like that, with the exception of the Radpower range which have mechanical discs... but then Radpowers are problematic for several reasons. Fortunately they're not really seen much in the UK.
    I've had hydraulic disks on my £600 Boardman since about 2014 - though not posh ones. Totally reliable to date, and going in for the 2023 service next week.

Don't tell them how much that Tern costs :smile: .
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,685
    edited March 2023
    O/T

Question: is it possible to get sunburnt in Spain in the winter when the locals are walking around in hats and scarves? Answer = yes, as I've found out.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,694

A spectacular burst of doors being slammed downstairs in our former bank soon to be shop. Part of the house part of the building sits above this, and distinctive BANG from downstairs. No movement of course on the Ring cam.

So I go down with wifey staying in her office directly above the front door. I bang a few doors so we can work out which it is. And it's the inner hallway door. Which Ring cam shows was already properly shut on its latch. So we're hearing a door only installed 18 months back which the camera shows was and is properly closed being banged...

I hope we're going to hear the solution to this mystery in due course.
    An exorcism?
    Better to make peace with difficult spirits and to discover a way of living with them.

There is a handy published guide on this: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8594324/
  • Options
    edited March 2023

A spectacular burst of doors being slammed downstairs in our former bank soon to be shop. Part of the house part of the building sits above this, and distinctive BANG from downstairs. No movement of course on the Ring cam.

So I go down with wifey staying in her office directly above the front door. I bang a few doors so we can work out which it is. And it's the inner hallway door. Which Ring cam shows was already properly shut on its latch. So we're hearing a door only installed 18 months back which the camera shows was and is properly closed being banged...

An exorcism?
    It would quite possibly do the job if you are worried about the "atmosphere" of the place and find no physical explanation.

A ceremony in various unfussy varieties offered by a lot of religious communities - and I would not be surprised if Humanists have their own version now which will be couched in humanist-ese, though they will bend over backwards to deny that there is anything 'spiritual' involved.

CofE has a carefully organised system supervised from Diocesan Level, since such requests often cross over into mental health issues for some.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Sean_F said:

Pagan2 said:

boulay said:

Isabel Oakeshott is Melisandre from Game of Thrones.

You are wrong, one is a temptress attached to a man who wanted power and sacrificed an innocent naive victim who didn’t have the intellectual capacity to see what was coming and the other is Melisandre.
    Also Melisandre was sort of cute
    Melisandre is smoking hot.
    Izzy is rather foxy until she opens her mouth to reveal her forked tongue.
    Tongue splitting is becoming common have you really never dated a girl that has done that?
    Why on earth would someone mutilate themself like that?
    Wouldnt be my choice I admit but do know around 5 people that have
    You mix with a different crowd than I do, is all I can say.
    Well probably yes
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Sean_F said:

Pagan2 said:

boulay said:

You are wrong, one is a temptress attached to a man who wanted power and sacrificed an innocent naive victim who didn’t have the intellectual capacity to see what was coming and the other is Melisandre.
    Tongue splitting is becoming common have you really never dated a girl that has done that?
    I think these things, related piercings and tattooing are symptomatic of people's estrangement from their own body, and also a feeling of lost control over their lives. It is an attempt to establish some control and self authority, related in some ways to the body dysmorphia of anorexia nervous and gender dysphoria.
    Probably most of the people I know feel they have no control over there lives other than their body. They make barely more than minimum wage, live paycheck to paycheck and a bill away from disaster. Is it a surprise the feel they have no control?
    I think that has always been the case for many people, but what has changed is how people now manipulate their own bodies as a coping mechanism for such alienation. These are the stigmata of our times.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Sean_F said:

Pagan2 said:

boulay said:

Well probably yes
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Sean_F said:

Pagan2 said:

boulay said:

I think these things, related piercings and tattooing are symptomatic of people's estrangement from their own body, and also a feeling of lost control over their lives. It is an attempt to establish some control and self authority, related in some ways to the body dysmorphia of anorexia nervous and gender dysphoria.
    Probably most of the people I know feel they have no control over there lives other than their body. They make barely more than minimum wage, live paycheck to paycheck and a bill away from disaster. Is it a surprise the feel they have no control?
    I think that has always been the case for many people, but what has changed is how people now manipulate their own bodies as a coping mechanism for such alienation. These are the stigmata of our times.
    Shrugs if it helps them who am I to criticize.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Sean_F said:

Pagan2 said:

boulay said:

Well probably yes
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Sean_F said:

Pagan2 said:

boulay said:

I do appreciate the 'no control' issue, I just don't understand why inflicting pain on yourself helps anyone feel more 'in control'.

And it's a modern phenomenon, yet people on minimum wage living paycheck to paycheck are immensely better off than most of their ancestors 100 or 200 years ago. Those working 70 hour weeks in a factory for a pittance had no control over their lives either but, as far as I know, tongue-splitting was not a big thing back then.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,296
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Boris tells Sunak and Hunt to slash corporation tax to Irish levels and reverse the 6% corporation tax rise they plan.

He also comes out in opposition to British Museum Chairman George Osborne's plans to return the Elgin Marbles to Greece

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/03/02/boris-johnson-calls-corporation-tax-cut-irish-levels-fresh-challenge/

Stating that the Elgin Marbles belong in London is a bit like saying the Crown Jewels belong in Athens!

The British Museum = Biggest Stolen Goods Warehouse in the World!
    I think that's Boris's point. If the BM (or any museum for that matter) obliges itself to 'give everything back', it's not a museum, it's a room.
    Indeed, loan exhibits abroad but if every major museum only displayed objects from the country it was located in there wouldn't be a lot of exhibits left in them
    There would be the same number of exhibits, they'd simply be in different places.

I know that many museums have large numbers of items in storage that they don't have space to display. I think it would be a shame if items from various parts of the world weren't distributed so that people could learn about other parts of the world without having to travel all around it.

Perhaps we might consider whether there are some items from Roman Britain that might usefully be exhibited in museums in other parts of the world to help tell the story of the Roman Empire to the people of other countries. And then we could have something of a mutually beneficial exchange so that the story of other past civilisations from other parts of the world could be told here.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Sean_F said:

Pagan2 said:

boulay said:

Well probably yes
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Sean_F said:

Pagan2 said:

boulay said:

Snap
  • Options
    Foxy said:

An exorcism?
    Better to make peace with difficult spirits and to discover a way of living with them.

There is a handy published guide on this: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8594324/
    Also available on iPlayer.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Sean_F said:

Pagan2 said:

boulay said:

Well probably yes
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Sean_F said:

Pagan2 said:

boulay said:

I do appreciate the 'no control' issue, I just don't understand why inflicting pain on yourself helps anyone feel more 'in control'.

And it's a modern phenomenon, yet people on minimum wage living paycheck to paycheck are immensely better off than most of their ancestors 100 or 200 years ago. Those working 70 hour weeks in a factory for a pittance had no control over their lives either but, as far as I know, tongue-splitting was not a big thing back then.
    There have always been those where pain mixes with sexual ecstasy. It has been documented over and over masoch and deSade both majored on it
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Sean_F said:

Pagan2 said:

boulay said:

Well probably yes
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Sean_F said:

Pagan2 said:

boulay said:

I think it often does the opposite, and reinforces their alienation, body dysmorphia, and psychiatric symptomology.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Sean_F said:

Pagan2 said:

boulay said:

Well probably yes
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Sean_F said:

Pagan2 said:

boulay said:

There have always been those where pain mixes with sexual ecstasy. It has been documented over and over masoch and deSade both majored on it
    Yes, well that's a different explanation. Which may be true but little to do with the 'no control over their lives' theory.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    edited March 2023
    I have no wish whatsoever to get pierced, tattooed or tongue splitted.
    Nor do I care to wear a mask on a bus or even just walking in the street.
    But I won't criticise anyone who does so. Who I am I to criticise their choices?
    Each example is absolutely none of my business.
    No more important that what colour they choose to dye their hair.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Sean_F said:

Pagan2 said:

boulay said:

Well probably yes
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Sean_F said:

Pagan2 said:

boulay said:

I think it often does the opposite, and reinforces their alienation, body dysmorphia, and psychiatric symptomology.
    You think me saying you shouldn't do it will have any effect?
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Sean_F said:

Pagan2 said:

boulay said:

Well probably yes
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Sean_F said:

Pagan2 said:

boulay said:

No one is asking you to.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Sean_F said:

Pagan2 said:

boulay said:

Well probably yes
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Sean_F said:

Pagan2 said:

boulay said:

No one is asking you to.
    It seemed to be the implication, though frankly people who get that far are beyond my humble powers to sway. Years of proper therapy if you could even persuade them they need it. On the whole they are happier as they are. Why is it wrong to persuade someone they arent really trans than they want to split their tongue?
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,257
    boulay said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Boris tells Sunak and Hunt to slash corporation tax to Irish levels and reverse the 6% corporation tax rise they plan.

He also comes out in opposition to British Museum Chairman George Osborne's plans to return the Elgin Marbles to Greece

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/03/02/boris-johnson-calls-corporation-tax-cut-irish-levels-fresh-challenge/

Stating that the Elgin Marbles belong in London is a bit like saying the Crown Jewels belong in Athens!

I think that's Boris's point. If the BM (or any museum for that matter) obliges itself to 'give everything back', it's not a museum, it's a room.
    Indeed, loan exhibits abroad but if every major museum only displayed objects from the country it was located in there wouldn't be a lot of exhibits left in them
    The Parthenon still exists, so the Marbles belong there.
    All the places that all the exhibits in all the museums in the world came from still exist.
    It’s true but also false.

The Parthenon doesn’t exist anymore as it did when the marbles were there.

The people who built it don’t exist in the sense of culture anymore.

The state, the Athenian City State, doesn’t exist anymore.

So theoretically to return the marbles would not be returning them to where they were from except in a purely physical sense. And then you might have to consider if their physical origin is then the quarry where the marble came from.

Throughout the world there are works of art and objects that sit far away from their original home because someone with more means, money or power had the greed, desire, belief, or genuine love to buy them from whoever might have been their rightful owners or take them from a vanquished foe.

Whilst the above is slightly tongue in cheek it’s a thread that gets pulled for good reasons that unravels out of control.
    I'm not sure the people not existing any more in the sense of culture and the state not existing matter very much. Think of how much further we are from the people who made Stonehenge, yet there would be strong cultural heritage objections if there was a plan to sell the stones to the Chinese to be shipped to a park outside Beijing.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,847
    Wow who knew Labour could be so cunning as to manufacture a plot to oust Johnson !

Poor DM with their pathetic outrage .
  • Options
    kamski said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

All the places that all the exhibits in all the museums in the world came from still exist.

So theoretically to return the marbles would not be returning them to where they were from except in a purely physical sense. And then you might have to consider if their physical origin is then the quarry where the marble came from.

Throughout the world there are works of art and objects that sit far away from their original home because someone with more means, money or power had the greed, desire, belief, or genuine love to buy them from whoever might have been their rightful owners or take them from a vanquished foe.

Whilst the above is slightly tongue in cheek it’s a thread that gets pulled for good reasons that unravels out of control.
    I'm not sure the people not existing any more in the sense of culture and the state not existing matter very much. Think of how much further we are from the people who made Stonehenge, yet there would be strong cultural heritage objections if there was a plan to sell the stones to the Chinese to be shipped to a park outside Beijing.
    The chinese would likely take more care and show more reverence than english heritage to be frank
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Sean_F said:

Pagan2 said:

boulay said:

Well probably yes
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Sean_F said:

Pagan2 said:

boulay said:

No one is asking you to.
    It seemed to be the implication, though frankly people who get that far are beyond my humble powers to sway. Years of proper therapy if you could even persuade them they need it. On the whole they are happier as they are. Why is it wrong to persuade someone they arent really trans than they want to split their tongue?
    Honestly no, I was merely surprised you know 5 people who have had their tongues split.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Sean_F said:

Pagan2 said:

boulay said:

Well probably yes
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Sean_F said:

Pagan2 said:

boulay said:

Yes, well that's a different explanation. Which may be true but little to do with the 'no control over their lives' theory.
    I am not saying that self mutilation (or getting my plastic surgical colleagues to do it!) Is not exclusively due to feelings of alienation and lost control. There are other reasons for doing it of course.

It is a free society and doing these things is any individuals choice (albeit peer pressure can be a factor).
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    RedfieldWilton finds most voters think too many claim welfare but the amount given to those on welfare is too little

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1631288245119225858?s=20
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Sean_F said:

Pagan2 said:

boulay said:

Well probably yes
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Sean_F said:

Pagan2 said:

boulay said:

No one is asking you to.
    Honestly no, I was merely surprised you know 5 people who have had their tongues split.
    Shrugs I know a lot of people with tattoos, body piercings, transsexuals, homosexuals of both genders etc. I mostly know poor people
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Sean_F said:

Pagan2 said:

boulay said:

Well probably yes
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Sean_F said:

Pagan2 said:

boulay said:

I am not saying that self mutilation (or getting my plastic surgical colleagues to do it!) Is not exclusively due to feelings of alienation and lost control. There are other reasons for doing it of course.

It is a free society and doing these things is any individuals choice (albeit peer pressure can be a factor).
    Peer pressure is the biggest worry in my view
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Sean_F said:

Pagan2 said:

boulay said:

Well probably yes
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Sean_F said:

Pagan2 said:

boulay said:

To explain that I would say I have two friend both mtf transexuals....the first seems genuinely happier than she was. The second I think followed her lead but seems no happier than she was and I do wonder if its her answer or if the first one persuaded her its the answer
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

Question: is it possible to get sunburnt in Spain in the winter when the locals are walking around in hats and scarves? Answer = yes, as I've found out.

I've been quite sunburnt in Scotland in early April.

Scotland!
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    MattW said:

But hey, this is PB.

The hydraulic disc brakes on my cargo e-bike (Tern GSD) are seriously good. I have no idea what model they are but they stop on a sixpence even with two kids on the back. I'm more confident doing an emergency stop in it than I would be with Mrs Capitano's car.

I think hydraulic discs are pretty common on cargo e-bikes like that, with the exception of the Radpower range which have mechanical discs... but then Radpowers are problematic for several reasons. Fortunately they're not really seen much in the UK.

I've had hydraulic disks on my £600 Boardman since about 2014 - though not posh ones. Totally reliable to date, and going in for the 2023 service next week.

I got it in a closing-down sale for about £1500 under the current list price! But yeah, they're not cheap.

To be honest we could almost replace the car with it, and if there were a reliable rental/car-share option round here for occasional trips, we probably would.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,639
    kamski said:

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good evening, kamski.

Did you see this article… and are its characterisations of German politics fair ?

The truth about Germany’s defense policy shift
    https://www.politico.eu/article/germany-zeitenwende-defense-spending-nato-gdp-target-scholz-ukraine-war-russia/
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Sean_F said:

Pagan2 said:

boulay said:

Well probably yes
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Sean_F said:

Pagan2 said:

boulay said:

It varies very much from person to person, but I agree worrying as moving away from individuals choice to social acceptance by a sub-cultural group. This is a spectrum that goes all the way via female circumcision to male circumcision.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,010
    Watching QT from Leaver Sunlan on catch up.

Horrible for Brexit.

Funny old world.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Sean_F said:

Pagan2 said:

boulay said:

Well probably yes
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Sean_F said:

Pagan2 said:

boulay said:

It varies very much from person to person, but I agree worrying as moving away from individuals choice to social acceptance by a sub-cultural group. This is a spectrum that goes all the way via female circumcision to male circumcision.
    Gosh is the first time we have agreed on something :)
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,487
    nico679 said:

Wow who knew Labour could be so cunning as to manufacture a plot to oust Johnson !

Poor DM with their pathetic outrage .

Whole range of stories at https://www.tomorrowspapers.co.uk/, but none of them good for the government.

Monday's excitement already seems to be fading into the background.
  • Options
    A question for all here

Who are we to define normal

50 years ago homosexuals were despised
    20 years ago transexuals were despised

now do we despise people who mod their bodies or practise bdsm? Or do we accept it as some people are just that way?

Why is it different?
  • Options

Horrible for Brexit.

Funny old world.

If you wanted to kick the powers to be in 2016 then vote Brexit, if you want to kick the powers that be in 2023 then kick the Brexiteers.

One reason that referendums are not a good idea.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,110
    Foxy said:

Horrible for Brexit.

Funny old world.

If you wanted to kick the powers to be in 2016 then vote Brexit, if you want to kick the powers that be in 2023 then kick the Brexiteers.

Being anti-referendum is being anti-democracy.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Sean_F said:

Pagan2 said:

boulay said:

Well probably yes
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Sean_F said:

Pagan2 said:

boulay said:

Gosh is the first time we have agreed on something :)
    Yes, probably a first!
  • Options
    WillG said:

Foxy said:

Horrible for Brexit.

Funny old world.

In that case Britain was not a democracy until the 1970's, and only rarely been so since.

By that definition, I don't think America has ever been a democracy.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,639
    edited March 2023
    Pagan2 said:

A question for all here

now do we despise people who mod their bodies or practise bdsm? Or do we accept it as some people are just that way?

Why is it different?

Why would we despise them, even if we don't share their choices ?
    (For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not suggesting homosexuality is a choice.)
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

A question for all here

Why is it different?

Why would we despise them, even if we don't share their choices ?
    our government recently passed laws outlawing them videoing it
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

A question for all here

Why is it different?

I don't think we should either despise them or laud them. It is a fundamental part of being a free individual to be able to make decisions that society considers wrong or foolish. Of course, it may well be that society is right.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Horrible for Brexit.

Funny old world.

Very well put.

Referendums are more than “not a good idea”.

They are fucking insanity.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

A question for all here

Why is it different?

I don't think we should either despise them or laud them. It is a fundamental part of being a free individual to be able to make decisions that society considers wrong or foolish. Of course, it may well be that society is right.
    Is it societies business what happens between consenting adults?
  • Options
    WillG said:

Foxy said:

Horrible for Brexit.

Funny old world.

Wrong.

Very wrong.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

A question for all here

Why is it different?

Provided they are freely consenting, and not impacting bystanders, then none of anyone else's business.
  • Options
    WillG said:

Foxy said:

Horrible for Brexit.

Funny old world.

No it is being pro representative democracy rather than direct democracy
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,466
    Foxy said:

Horrible for Brexit.

Funny old world.

I'm not sure that BBC QT is quite the bellweather we're building it up as.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

A question for all here

Why is it different?

Provided they are freely consenting, and not impacting bystanders, then none of anyone else's business.
    But we outlawed them sharing it with friends on video
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    Lab hold in Newcastle.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,004
    All things being equal (they are not equal) a car will have superior braking performance to a bicycle from the same speed. This is due to a much bigger contact patch on the car and the fact that bicycle braking is rate limited by the conversion of energy into a moment in the pitch axis (going over the bars).

Also, bicycle brakes can't stand up to repeated high speed braking as the elements of system are, by necessity, of very low mass. There isn't enough fluid in the system or metal in the caliper to act as an effective heatsink. When I did my 120km/h descent on the Simplon Pass I put so much heat into the front brake it forced the fluid past the seal in the master cylinder and rendered it utterly inutile as a device for retarding forward movement.

Everybody posting an opinion on cycling needs to state their VO2max so we can gauge the heft of their opinion.

54ml/(kg.min)
  • Options

Liz Truss

Boris Johnson

Isabel Oakeshott

Mornington Crescent.

• Options
    Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

A question for all here

Why is it different?

Now imagine for a moment we say you can be homosexual or transexual but can't share a sex tape
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,466

Foxy said:

Horrible for Brexit.

Funny old world.

Very well put.

They are not insanity in Switzerland, where they happen all the time as a matter of routine. But in Switzerland, when the public has given its verdict, everyone understands that the politicians implement it, not throw tantrums about it and delay it interminably and sling obstacles in its path because the public had the audacity not to agree with its preferred outcome.
  • Options
    LuckyGuy1983

Brexit

False Flag

HOUSE
  • Options

Foxy said:

Horrible for Brexit.

Funny old world.

Very well put.

They are not insanity in Switzerland, where they happen all the time as a matter of routine. But in Switzerland, when the public has given its verdict, everyone understands that the politicians implement it, not throw tantrums about it and delay it interminably and sling obstacles in its path because the public had the audacity not to agree with its preferred outcome.
    Also in switzerland because they expect referendums to be respected the swiss actually look at the issues and vote on them where as we expect politicians to weasel out
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

A question for all here

Why is it different?

Yes, our government is too authoritarian.
  • Options
    IAN CULVERHOUSE
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

A question for all here

Why is it different?

Yes, our government is too authoritarian.
    Wow we agree twice in on night is the world ending?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Horrible for Brexit.

Funny old world.

Very well put.

IAN CULVERHOUSE
  • Options

Foxy said:

Horrible for Brexit.

Funny old world.

Yes, it usually is quite biased to the right wing.

• Options
    WestieWestie Posts: 426
    edited March 2023
    Pagan2 said:

A question for all here

Why is it different?

Consenting adults can do what they like with each other AFAIAC.
    Just don't say highly unusual activities, preferences, or identities are normal when they aren't. That's tantamount to cancelling the word "normal". And anyway someone who is normal sexually can be anything but normal in other ways and might for example be a heterosexual monogamous married man who feels like punching the nose of any prejudiced twit who calls him normal in a generalised sense. There's often nothing so great about being normal, but there is such a thing as normal in most areas of life, which may and does change. Transsexuality is highly abnormal. No offence intended to transsexuals.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Everybody posting an opinion on cycling needs to state their VO2max so we can gauge the heft of their opinion.

54ml/(kg.min)

My definition of a "personal best" for cycling is a good country pub, some roads with grass down the middle and excellent views.

VO2max sounds like a type of shampoo.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906
    Dura_Ace said:

All things being equal (they are not equal) a car will have superior braking performance to a bicycle from the same speed. This is due to a much bigger contact patch on the car and the fact that bicycle braking is rate limited by the conversion of energy into a moment in the pitch axis (going over the bars).

Also, bicycle brakes can't stand up to repeated high speed braking as the elements of system are, by necessity, of very low mass. There isn't enough fluid in the system or metal in the caliper to act as an effective heatsink. When I did my 120km/h descent on the Simplon Pass I put so much heat into the front brake it forced the fluid past the seal in the master cylinder and rendered it utterly inutile as a device for retarding forward movement.

54ml/(kg.min)

59, but that's from running. And I'm significantly younger.

My one bike crash (self-inflicted) came from not realising how little grip my tyres have under braking.
  • Options
    Westie said:

Pagan2 said:

A question for all here

Why is it different?

Just don't say highly unusual activities, preferences, or identities are normal when they aren't. That's tantamount to cancelling the word "normal". And anyway someone who is normal sexually can be anything but normal in other ways and might for example be a heterosexual monogamous married man who feels like punching the nose of any prejudiced twit who calls him normal in a generalised sense. There's often nothing so great about being normal, but there is such a thing as normal in most areas of life, which may and does change.
    Ah so let me ask to you think a transexual is normal?
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Horrible for Brexit.

Funny old world.

Very well put.

Also in switzerland because they expect referendums to be respected the swiss actually look at the issues and vote on them where as we expect politicians to weasel out
    I think if referendums are to be a regular part of a democracy they need to be frequent, and be clear what the costs will be. So a referendum on a council tax freeze either carries major budget cuts or alternative taxes.

Having rare ones with vague objectives is just a licence to kick the government, an expression of alienation rather than a clear headed decision.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,650
    Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Horrible for Brexit.

Funny old world.

Very well put.

You either have a regular direct democracy, like Switzerland or a fair few US states where referendums are normal and don’t carry wider macro political implications. Or you don’t have referendums at all. Or only have them on issues that are mundane and not divisive.

The trouble with our recent referendums: Scottish Indy, voting reform, Brexit, is that they all became proxies for party political and wider culture war battles. How many people voted in the AV referendum based on a good faith appraisal of the voting system on offer?
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    slade said:

Lab hold in Newcastle.

Big drop in both the Lab and Con vote.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,110
    Westie said:

Pagan2 said:

A question for all here

Why is it different?

Just don't say highly unusual activities, preferences, or identities are normal when they aren't. That's tantamount to cancelling the word "normal". And anyway someone who is normal sexually can be anything but normal in other ways and might for example be a heterosexual monogamous married man who feels like punching the nose of any prejudiced twit who calls him normal in a generalised sense. There's often nothing so great about being normal, but there is such a thing as normal in most areas of life, which may and does change. Transsexuality is highly abnormal. No offence intended to transsexuals.
    Does this mean that blonde haired people aren't normal because we are only 3% of the world's population?
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,650
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Horrible for Brexit.

Funny old world.

It’s gone a bit obvious in that respect in recent weeks. Not so much right wing as just terrified of offending its government masters.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,219
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Horrible for Brexit.

Funny old world.

Very well put.

I think if referendums are to be a regular part of a democracy they need to be frequent, and be clear what the costs will be. So a referendum on a council tax freeze either carries major budget cuts or alternative taxes.

Having rare ones with vague objectives is just a licence to kick the government, an expression of alienation rather than a clear headed decision.
    Wouldn't that kicking impulse reduce if we had many, regular, referendums?
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Westie said:

Pagan2 said:

A question for all here

Why is it different?

Just don't say highly unusual activities, preferences, or identities are normal when they aren't. That's tantamount to cancelling the word "normal". And anyway someone who is normal sexually can be anything but normal in other ways and might for example be a heterosexual monogamous married man who feels like punching the nose of any prejudiced twit who calls him normal in a generalised sense. There's often nothing so great about being normal, but there is such a thing as normal in most areas of life, which may and does change.
    As it stands at present in England it is abnormal by legal definition, as getting a GRC requires a psychiatric diagnosis of gender dysphoria. Hence the push for Self-ID that doesn't require such things, and hence allows it to be normal.

• Options
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Horrible for Brexit.

Funny old world.

Very well put.

I agree totally on what the costs are for the most part. However sometimes not possible. For example the brexit referendum

If we voted leave how do you cost that. The cost depends on what you negotiate...you cant know what you can negotiate till you have left. While many say leave had no plan and was a vote of many views they were right. However its also true to say leave couldn't have said here is 3 options first because they couldn't know what the EU would agree to....now say leave offered mays deal, efta, eea....what if the eu had said none on offer
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Horrible for Brexit.

Funny old world.

Very well put.

Wouldn't that kicking impulse reduce if we had many, regular, referendums?
    That is why it works in Switzerland, with referendums several times per year, while here referendums pitch the country into bitter infighting.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Round where I live, huge cars parking on pavements is a much greater hazard than cyclists using pavements - pedestrians are forced into the road, and lines of sight when crossing roads are blocked. Personally, I'd like to see any car parked on a pavement sent to a crusher with no compensation. That'd put a stop to it. A bit extreme, I know. But effective.

Parking on the pavement is to be outlawed in Wales and it is sensible though it will cause a lot of problems
    Why? I can't just go and sit down in the middle of the road (ER notwithstanding) - they are for cars. Similarly, cars can't occupy pavements, which are for pedestrians.
    Pavements are for pedestrians....remember that when you get on your bike
    One wonders whether the Judge is found in lycra on his evenings and weekends off.
    I fully accept cyclists rightly dont feel safe on the road....the answer though is not to displace them onto pavements and make pedestrians feel unsafe. I fully admit being hit by a cyclist doing 20 miles an hour is less dangerous than being hit by a car at the same speed....however it can easily end with injuries.

Cycles need there own space not to take over ours
    Apparently five pedestrians were killed by cyclists in 2019:

"according to a parliamentary report published in 2020, there were only five reported pedestrian deaths involving a bicycle in 2019 as opposed to the 48 cyclists and 305 pedestrians killed by cars in the same year"

https://www.pierrethomaslaw.com/cyclists-who-kill-pedestrians/

(Note: I'm unsure if the above might include a cyclist who was pushing a bike at the time, and was therefore a pedestrian. But that's relatively unusual.)

Edit: but this gives a sligtly lower figure:
    https://www.nationalworld.com/news/politics/pedestrians-killed-dangerous-cyclists-road-deaths-3812845
    The 5 will include people hit by bicycles on the road rather than on the pavement.
    I'm unsure that makes it any better.
    Stepping out into the road without looking is very common.

Maybe that will stop when you can't hear the cars coming either.

Incidentally, motorists, that's why I don't ride in the gutter.
    Aren't you using the same sort of excuses that drivers sometimes make when they hit cyclists: it's *their* fault, not *mine*.

Is a cyclist who cannot stop in time for a pedestrian stepping into a road, or cannot avoid them, not paying enough attention and/or going too fast? Cyclists insist (rightly) on a car's width when a car passes them. Perhaps cyclists should give a car's width to pedestrians as well. ;)

(Hint: they don't. All too often, as happened with me during my run on Sunday, they pay all too little attention to pedestrians.)

When walking, cycling or driving, you need to be aware of the situation around you, and also be aware that someone else might do something unexpected, or stupid, or both.
    As a cyclist, when I'm passing a pedestrian, I really don't know what is best to do. Normally, most people walking do so in a straight line, so it's pretty easy to slow down and move over to go around them.

The advice is to use your bell to let the pedestrian know that you're coming, but my experience is that, when I use my bell, the vast majority of pedestrians panic, and treat it as a demand to move out of the way, and so they jump, unpredictably, to one side or the other. They often also react quite aggressively, being irate that I've used my bell to, as they see it, shoo them out of my way.

So often I am tempted not to use my bell, but simply to glide past the walker. But, of course, that has its own issues and its own complaints.

A lot of the time when I am cycling I feel like I can't win. It doesn't matter what I do, someone will take offence at it and curse my existence. Not that I have to worry much about the etiquette on shared use paths around here. The nearest one must be nearly a day's cycling away.
    Picking up on that late, I have very few problems on trails here, and people with dogs are very good at stopping or having the pooch on the opposite side. I've only had a couple in 6-8 years who have ended up with them and pooch on opposite sides with a killer extendy dig lead drooped in between.

My normal technique is a ding at a decent distance to get attention and warn, followed by a greeting when closer, and a pass at walking pace with the possibility of stopping, and a smile and a thank-you.

IMO the biggest mistake is to say "Passing on your left", or similar, as half of the time they will move left.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,292
    I just ate a ant
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,292
    And a duck bill
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Westie said:

Pagan2 said:

A question for all here

Why is it different?

As it stands at present in England it is abnormal by legal definition, as getting a GRC requires a psychiatric diagnosis of gender dysphoria. Hence the push for Self-ID that doesn't require such things, and hence allows it to be normal.

I was not claiming it to be abnormal to be clear....just trying to point out there are other sexualities out there that are no more unusual than being a transexual yet somehow we are still able to look down on.

Personally I opposed the gay marriage bill. Not because I object to gay marriage but because I do not believe the state should even been involved in who you love. All they should require is if you enter into a stable relationship there should be a contract on shared assets....then wouldn't matter if its two guys, two girls, a man and a girl, a throuple, a dominatrix with a stable of boys etc.
  • Options
    The people of Sunderland are concerned about energy security and food availability.

Not a word about woke.

It really is a funny old world.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325

Foxy said:

Horrible for Brexit.

Funny old world.

Bellwether (no 'a').
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Horrible for Brexit.

Funny old world.

I would say if anything QT audiences and panel lean more leftwing and liberal
  • Options
    MattW said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Round where I live, huge cars parking on pavements is a much greater hazard than cyclists using pavements - pedestrians are forced into the road, and lines of sight when crossing roads are blocked. Personally, I'd like to see any car parked on a pavement sent to a crusher with no compensation. That'd put a stop to it. A bit extreme, I know. But effective.

Parking on the pavement is to be outlawed in Wales and it is sensible though it will cause a lot of problems
    Why? I can't just go and sit down in the middle of the road (ER notwithstanding) - they are for cars. Similarly, cars can't occupy pavements, which are for pedestrians.
    One wonders whether the Judge is found in lycra on his evenings and weekends off.
    I fully accept cyclists rightly dont feel safe on the road....the answer though is not to displace them onto pavements and make pedestrians feel unsafe. I fully admit being hit by a cyclist doing 20 miles an hour is less dangerous than being hit by a car at the same speed....however it can easily end with injuries.

"according to a parliamentary report published in 2020, there were only five reported pedestrian deaths involving a bicycle in 2019 as opposed to the 48 cyclists and 305 pedestrians killed by cars in the same year"

(Note: I'm unsure if the above might include a cyclist who was pushing a bike at the time, and was therefore a pedestrian. But that's relatively unusual.)

https://www.nationalworld.com/news/politics/pedestrians-killed-dangerous-cyclists-road-deaths-3812845
    The 5 will include people hit by bicycles on the road rather than on the pavement.

Aren't you using the same sort of excuses that drivers sometimes make when they hit cyclists: it's *their* fault, not *mine*.

Is a cyclist who cannot stop in time for a pedestrian stepping into a road, or cannot avoid them, not paying enough attention and/or going too fast? Cyclists insist (rightly) on a car's width when a car passes them. Perhaps cyclists should give a car's width to pedestrians as well. ;)

(Hint: they don't. All too often, as happened with me during my run on Sunday, they pay all too little attention to pedestrians.)

When walking, cycling or driving, you need to be aware of the situation around you, and also be aware that someone else might do something unexpected, or stupid, or both.
    As a cyclist, when I'm passing a pedestrian, I really don't know what is best to do. Normally, most people walking do so in a straight line, so it's pretty easy to slow down and move over to go around them.

The advice is to use your bell to let the pedestrian know that you're coming, but my experience is that, when I use my bell, the vast majority of pedestrians panic, and treat it as a demand to move out of the way, and so they jump, unpredictably, to one side or the other. They often also react quite aggressively, being irate that I've used my bell to, as they see it, shoo them out of my way.

So often I am tempted not to use my bell, but simply to glide past the walker. But, of course, that has its own issues and its own complaints.

A lot of the time when I am cycling I feel like I can't win. It doesn't matter what I do, someone will take offence at it and curse my existence. Not that I have to worry much about the etiquette on shared use paths around here. The nearest one must be nearly a day's cycling away.
    Picking up on that late, I have very few problems on trails here, and people with dogs are very good at stopping or having the pooch on the opposite side. I've only had a couple in 6-8 years

who have ended up with them and pooch on opposite sides with a killer extendy dig lead drooped in between.

My normal technique is a ding at a decent distance to get attention and warn, followed by a greeting when closer, and a pass at walking pace with the possibility of stopping, and a smile and a thank-you.

IMO the biggest mistake is to say "Passing on your left", or similar, as half of the time they will move left.
    I don’t have a bell because pedestrians hate them.

I simply shout “hello, good morning,” or some such.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Horrible for Brexit.

Funny old world.

I would say if anything QT audiences and panel lean more leftwing and liberal
    They are probably on average to the left of you, but so are most people @HYUFD !!

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,685
    edited March 2023
    O/T

It's weird seeing people smoking cigarettes in France on (outside) railway platforms, just next to the trains, and also almost inside the entrance of Paris metro stations. I'm pretty sure those things have been strictly banned in the UK for a long time. Also seeing smartly-dressed young people smoking cigarettes on the streets of Paris. More people smoking in France than Spain these days.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906
    edited March 2023

MattW said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Picking up on that late, I have very few problems on trails here, and people with dogs are very good at stopping or having the pooch on the opposite side. I've only had a couple in 6-8 years

who have ended up with them and pooch on opposite sides with a killer extendy dig lead drooped in between.

I don’t have a bell because pedestrians hate them.

I simply shout “hello, good morning,” or some such.

Agree, I think it's very irritating when I'm running or walking, so don't use mine any more. You should be going slow for a pass anyway, so close enough for "scuse me"

I might get an air horn for close pass drivers though...
  • Options
    Labour has won the first of the two Oxford by-elections:

https://twitter.com/OxfordClarion/status/1631449762825158656

(But close!)
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

It's weird seeing people smoking cigarettes in France on (outside) railway platforms, just next to the trains, and also almost inside the entrance of Paris metro stations. I'm pretty sure those things have been strictly banned in the UK for a long time. Also seeing smartly-dressed young people smoking cigarettes on the streets of Paris. More people smoking in France than Spain these days.

Wasn’t France always the smokiest place in Western Europe? I’m not sure their fondness for cigarettes was ever surpassed by their neighbours
  • Options
    WestieWestie Posts: 426
    WillG said:

Westie said:

Pagan2 said:

A question for all here

Why is it different?

Does this mean that blonde haired people aren't normal because we are only 3% of the world's population?
    Abnormal for hair colour on a world level; normal for hair colour in Sweden. A similar kind of thing could be said about white people for skin colour.
  • Options
    Labour also wins the City Council seat:

https://twitter.com/OxfordClarion/status/1631450603812540418
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

The people of Sunderland are concerned about energy security and food availability.

Not a word about woke.

Look, certain Tories in particular make too much of it, acting as though that alone will save their skins. But just because people won't prioritise it to the level of energy prices and other major issues doesn't mean it is not fertile grounds for political arguments or of no consequence.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Not a word about woke.

Look, certain Tories in particular make too much of it, acting as though that alone will save their skins. But just because people won't prioritise it to the level of energy prices and other major issues doesn't mean it is not fertile grounds for political arguments or of no consequence.
    Did I say otherwise?
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797
    kle4 said:

Not a word about woke.

The problem with this debate is in two parts. Firstly, those who see the 'woke' as a positive thing are too uncritical of it and don't want to deal with criticism. This tendency is a big problem for them because it means that they are now losing the arguments in a big way, for instance on gender self - id, and don't know how to address the situation. The 'anti-woke' don't have their own alternative view of the future; they come across as if they just want to go back to the past without admitting to its flaws.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,043

Dura_Ace said:

54ml/(kg.min)

My definition of a "personal best" for cycling is a good country pub, some roads with grass down the middle and excellent views.

VO2max sounds like a type of shampoo.
    It's the sort of thing that is only really important to professional or semi-professionals, and which amateur w*nkers just use to brag how big they aren't.

And I'm not saying that because according to my watch, mine's 41 (though that was measured on a marathon, so I wasn't pushing myself). (male, a few days away from 50 yo). I've got it in high 40s on shorter runs. And smartwatches are apparently notoriously inaccurate. And I'm a little chubby atm.

Ahem. ;)
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,193

Not a word about woke.

Indeed. It is something politicians obsess about. Lucy Powell on GMB just bemoaning how ‘white’ the creative industries are and making veiled threats to that industry to ‘get its house in order’ with an incoming labour government due.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,004
    Dura_Ace said:

When I did my 120km/h descent on the Simplon Pass I put so much heat into the front brake it forced the fluid past the seal in the master cylinder and rendered it utterly inutile as a device for retarding forward movement.

That's a typo it was only 102km/h. Kevin Reza of FdJ did 135km/h on that exact descent but he had a closed road didn't have to do blind overtakes on camper vans like I did.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Extreme wokeness tends to be silly. Best to smile gently and ignore them. Why discuss relativity with a slug?
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797
    edited March 2023

darkage said:

kle4 said:

Not a word about woke.

The problem with this debate is in two parts. Firstly, those who see the 'woke' as a positive thing are too uncritical of it and don't want to deal with criticism. This tendency is a big problem for them because it means that they are now losing the arguments in a big way, for instance on gender self - id, and don't know how to address the situation. The 'anti-woke' don't have their own alternative view of the future; they come across as if they just want to go back to the past without admitting to its flaws.

Perhaps those who don't see a problem with "woke" don't want to engage with antiwoke because they have better things to do with their lives. It doesn't mean they are losing the arguements if they don't want to argue.
    But they literally are losing the arguments. Look at the self - ID thing in Scotland and the transgender rapist prison debate. It has undermined the principles behind self-id and led to massive waves of transphobia. It has also destroyed a political career. All because the 'woke' did not want to engage with valid criticisms of self-id.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Taz said:

Not a word about woke.

Indeed. It is something politicians obsess about. Lucy Powell on GMB just bemoaning how ‘white’ the creative industries are and making veiled threats to that industry to ‘get its house in order’ with an incoming labour government due.

It's almost as if to misquote a saying:

' ..some woke matters'

• Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897
    CD13 said:

Extreme wokeness tends to be silly. Best to smile gently and ignore them. Why discuss relativity with a slug?

Extreme anything-political is silly and often dangerous.

It is also foolish to ignore valid points just because the extreme end is silly.

The was a similar problem with global warming about 10 years ago. As much odf the media was focussing on the worst case scenario from the most extreme models much of the solid research was ignored.
  • Options
    lintolinto Posts: 32
    MattW said:

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

It';;

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Taz said:

Pagan2 said:

Taz said:

What do you know. I was reading the pb thread on cycling on my way home and then what should happen but a young man shoots past me on a bike. I have to admit my main issue with cyclists on pavements has been with teenage boys.

Went in to the shop and find my wallet burning from buying a few groceries. Given that wheat, oil and gas prices have come right down again, can anyone give an explanation for why this is? I know it takes time for these things to work their way through......

One thing that really annoys me is cyclists without lights, at night. There're a fair few around here that do it, mostly (but not solely) kids.
    Also those people staring into their phones as they amble along the pavement..
    Even worse while listening to music with iPods and unable to hear the bell.
    If your cycle isn't meant to be there why the fuck should we listen for your bell?
    Where I cycle it is meant to be there. Many of the pavements by me are dual use. 🙄

In my experience everywhere dual use the pavements have a line down the centre one marked cyclists and on marked pedestrians. I in this case stick to the pedestrian side....cyclists not so much
    Shared use paths tend to be marked with a sign like this:
    (Snip)
    And paths where there is a dividing line with a different sign like this:
    (Snip)
    Though I have the same problems with whether to notify pedestrians of my presence on both types of paths, and pedestrians often forget which side of the path is which.
    So do cyclists. ;)

And to be fair, sometimes you do need to walk in the cycle part, for instance if the pedestrian side is blocked by a sign (that does happen annoyingly often), or passing other pedestrians. But as always, you should check and ensure that you're not inconveniencing other road users.

Here's an idea: a speed limit on shared paths of (say) 10 MPH.
    Is anybody on this Site aware of anybody being fined for breaking the speed limit?

I ask because most London Boroughs have 20mph limits now and they apply 24/7 every day of the year. If you stick rigourously to the limit you are likely to be overtaken occasionally by a cyclist, yet I do not recall ever seeing one stopped.

You can get a ticket I suspect as I once got arrested for "drunk in charge of a shopping trolley"....stag night in my early twenties and was carrying a passenger which may have contributed
    Speed limits only apply to motor vehicles. :smile:

There may be some local byelaws that apply speed limits to bikes, however.
    Speed limits can apply to bikes, but it's bloody difficult to enforce them unless they're actually caught in the act and have ID on them that they show to the police.
    Under which law?

eg the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 specifically says "Motor Vehicles". As did the previous act in 1903, and then in 1934.
    https://www.slatergordon.co.uk/newsroom/can-cyclists-break-the-speed-limit/

As I say - possible but extremely rare under local byelaws.
    It can be deemed a breach of section 29 of the Road Traffic Act 1988:

If a person rides a cycle on a road without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road, he is guilty of an offence.

By definition, riding in excess of the speed limit is showing a lack of consideration.

But it is a bugger to enforce due to the lack of licensing so most police forces don't bother.
    I think it will be a bit of a stretch for PC Copper to argue that Jemima Cyclist was being inconsiderate by not obeying a speed limit which is explicitly defined in law as not applying to people on bikes.

Plenty of things can be cycling without due care, including perhaps inappropriate speed, but that would bear no relation to a posted speed limit.
    It is considerably more reckless to speed on a bike than in a car. Why? Because its brakes are not as good. And because it has less adhesion it's much easier to lose control of it.

Of course, it's likely to do less actual damage if it does go wahoonie shaped, because it's lighter.

So yes, they can absolutely take that view, and it is hardly a stretch.

But as I say, they don't bother. Mostly in my experience of Staffordshire and Gloucestershire because they're not interested in enforcing laws unless they can see a fat profit for minimal work.
    I'd actually question your statements about braking etc,, but that would be a rabbithole.
    But hey, this is PB.

Just ordered a radwagon, thought I'd done my due diligence, but I'm slightly alarmed about your comments, can you enlighten me about the radwagons problems in case I've missed something. I was looking at the terns but slightly out of my price range.
    Looking forward to getting rid of the second car and just hiring one if needed.
This discussion has been closed.