Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Is Sunak really a secret Remainer? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,338
    edited March 2023
    Morning all. I haven't been on here much as am in travel mode.

It's a sobering thought that had the Conservatives chosen Rishi Sunak to be leader after Theresa May they might not now be staring into the political wilderness.

I know many of you will retort that only Boris could have won in 2019 blah-de-blah. You may be right. But with hindsight we can nearly all see that Brexit is almost as much of a turd as Johnson himself.

And, let's face it, Sunak would still have beaten Corbyn.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,501
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

pm215 said:

For Pete's sake this already happened even in the EU with cars. Car manufacturers are quite capable of making Right Hand Drive vehicles for the UK and Eire market, and Left Hand Drive vehicles for the Continental Europe market. Just because standards diverge, doesn't mean you can't ensure your exports are to the correct standards for the market you're exporting to.

I bet if you asked the car manufactureres they'd massively prefer the hypothetical world where they could make LHD vehicles only for everywhere, though! It would be a lot less work.
    But then you’d have to get the worlds first and fourth most populous countries to change, along with all of Southern Africa and a couple of other islands:

Isn't the most populous, China?
    India just overtook China as biggest by population
    What?!
    Not that I disbelieve you - I knew this was coming this decade - but do you have a source for this? I'm surprised such a massive demographic milestone has passed without comment. This is rather bigger than the earth passing the 8 billion mark.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334

IanB2 said:

Cookie said:

pm215 said:

For Pete's sake this already happened even in the EU with cars. Car manufacturers are quite capable of making Right Hand Drive vehicles for the UK and Eire market, and Left Hand Drive vehicles for the Continental Europe market. Just because standards diverge, doesn't mean you can't ensure your exports are to the correct standards for the market you're exporting to.

I bet if you asked the car manufactureres they'd massively prefer the hypothetical world where they could make LHD vehicles only for everywhere, though! It would be a lot less work.
    But then you’d have to get the worlds first and fourth most populous countries to change, along with all of Southern Africa and a couple of other islands:

https://www.statista.com/chart/9261/which-side-of-the-road-do-you-drive-on/

Step forward the British Empire and its occupation of The Netherlands East Indies during the Napoleonic war…..

Probably safer too:

https://www.theaa.com/cars/news/hot-topics/why-does-the-uk-drive-on-the-left-3567.html
    Yes, my understanding is that much of the world drives on the right basically out of spite. The French changed due to the revolution, when everything must be different, then swiftly conquered most of Europe and imposed it on them; the Americans similarly chose the right because the British were on the left, and they were influential elsewhere.

That map, by the way, would look a lot more yellow with a different projection. That projection makes Canada and Russia look much bigger than they are, and India, Southern Africa and Indonesia smaller.
    No, the Americans chose due to Teamsters.

When America was a young country wagons pulled by teams of horses were really popular and the wagon driver would sit on the leftmost horse because he could use his right hand as a whip hand to control all his horses.

That went against historical precedent before then, dating back to Roman times where driving on the left was the norm.

The UK stuck with history and stayed on the left. The USA embraced the novelty of what was happening at the time they founded and went with the right. As it happens, the left is safer, but America is stuck with what they chose back then.
    A lot of the laws in America don't seem to have safety as a major consideration.
    They make up for it with notices everywhere and on everything.
    Yes, they hand you a cup of coffee with a warning on it that it could be hot, while the person making it could have a revolver in their back pocket.
    So you get more bang for your buck.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,596
    Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Another reason driving on the left makes more sense is that you go clockwise round roundabouts.

Someone told me to walk anticlockwise round the lake at Epcot because human nature is to go clockwise.

If you walk anticlockwise around a church three times it’s called “walking widdershins” and you end up summoning the Devil

Don’t say I didn’t warn you

https://occult-world.com/widdershins/
    In Dorothy L Sayers masterpiece 'The Nine Tailors' her detective, Peter Wimsey, avoids walking round a church anticlockwise for this very reason.

• Options

geoffw said:

pm215 said:

Step forward the British Empire and its occupation of The Netherlands East Indies during the Napoleonic war…..

Probably safer too:

https://www.theaa.com/cars/news/hot-topics/why-does-the-uk-drive-on-the-left-3567.html
    Yes safer, keeping our right hands for our trusty swords when passing adversaries coming in the other direction.

Historically yes, and nowadays keeping our right hand for the steering wheel and right eye for oncoming traffic.

A shame for the lefties perhaps, but the majority of the country and the majority of the world is both right hand and right eye dominant.

That most of the world uses the more dangerous version of driving on the right, and has statistically more traffic accidents and fatalities as a result, is not a reason for us to change.
    No, and it won’t happen, but it would be objectively better for the consumer to have access to an entire world worth of second hand cars.
    Objectively better?

I think its objectively better for the consumer to have access to both new and plenty of second hand cars that have an objectively proven and better safety record and lower fatality rate.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

I do data security for a living

Rough week for LastPass...
    Always remember that “Cloud” = someone else’s computer.

Storing all your passwords on someone else’s computer, has always been a bad idea.
    Indeed.

Y'all know my views on internet (in)security.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Another reason driving on the left makes more sense is that you go clockwise round roundabouts.

Someone told me to walk anticlockwise round the lake at Epcot because human nature is to go clockwise.

If you walk anticlockwise around a church three times it’s called “walking widdershins” and you end up summoning the Devil

In Dorothy L Sayers masterpiece 'The Nine Tailors' her detective, Peter Wimsey, avoids walking round a church anticlockwise for this very reason.

The only problem with that book was that her knowledge of campanology was a bit ropey.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    Scott_xP said:

He has quite brilliantly found a compromise deal for NI. Fixed something that didn't work and was causing damage to the economy.

Great! Now do the same for Dover - Calais.

Indeed.

He will have to explain continuously why making it harder to trade with our largest market is still a great idea for everybody except NI
    Feck knows how numpties on here get this a a brilliant deal, any clown could have thought it up , let's beggar 3 parts of the UK and make NI have a spiffing deal. How does that constitute brilliance, only in the minds of idiots.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

Storing all your passwords on someone else’s computer, has always been a bad idea.
    There aren't any good solutions to password security, though, are there? Anything is limited by either the capactiy of the human brain or the average user's lack of give-a-damn.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,085

geoffw said:

pm215 said:

Probably safer too:

Yes safer, keeping our right hands for our trusty swords when passing adversaries coming in the other direction.

Historically yes, and nowadays keeping our right hand for the steering wheel and right eye for oncoming traffic.

A shame for the lefties perhaps, but the majority of the country and the majority of the world is both right hand and right eye dominant.

That most of the world uses the more dangerous version of driving on the right, and has statistically more traffic accidents and fatalities as a result, is not a reason for us to change.
    No, and it won’t happen, but it would be objectively better for the consumer to have access to an entire world worth of second hand cars.
    Objectively better?

I think its objectively better for the consumer to have access to both new and plenty of second hand cars that have an objectively proven and better safety record and lower fatality rate.
    Lol come on…
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

…”The Telegraph have been informed that their headline is wrong, and Matt is considering all options available to him.“……

The important point Hancock makes in response is that after Whitty’s advice a meeting on testing took place which revealed there wasn’t enough capacity to test everyone going into care homes. Which is why later that day Hancock decides only to test hospital patients at this stage

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1630838823029551107?s=20

Am I the only one who’s struggling to see the public interest, as opposed to the interest of the public, in this story?

There will be an inquiry into how things were handled during the pandemic, but I’m not sure that posting thousands of selectively-chosen text messages between senior figures helps the situation, nor how ministers and advisors might communicate in a future crisis, knowing that every last detail will end up in Fleet St.

Are we are not now trying to forget about the pandemic, rather than re-live it in detail?
    It does seem that Hancock handed over his own WhatsApp conversations to Oakshott to help ghostwrite his memoirs.

Schoolboy error.
    Oh wow, really? Is that not a serious breach of journalistic ethics, given that he was presumably paying her to help write the book? Will anyone ever trust her again?
    Not to mention GDPR laws and security and governmental regulations [edit] or am I missing something? It would be a huge scandal if a civil servant did that with work emails/calls. And if he was using a private account ...
    Yes, one thing it does tell us, is that data security is terrible in government. There should be no private phones allowed in government departments, and all ‘chat’ applications should be approved.

I’d probably use something like Slack or Teams for structured or group conversations, that are archived and subject to data protection; then something like Signal, with chats that disappear after a few minutes, for informal conversations of the sort that would ordinarily happen in person.
    One might conceivably think that there was a mentality at the highest levels of the administration that "the laws don't apply to us".
    I do data security for a living, and the problems are almost always the very top management, who don’t understand why the practices and processes they signed off for everyone should also need to apply to those with corner offices on the top floor. Despite all of the company’s sensitive data and IP passing through their hands.

I imagine that politics is even worse, with MPs and ministers technically not employees of the ‘company’, but elected by the people - and all with masssive egos.
    Part of the problem is that government doesn’t do the first, important bit of security.

Make the correct, secure option the easiest one. See Bruce Schernier.

WhatsApp (should be Signal, anyway) is the simple option, too often.

In the banks, the various regulations on recording communications have been very useful.

Being able to tell His Imperial And Most Excellent And August Majesty (Assistant, Temporary Vice President) of Paperclips, that forwarding his Bank IMs to his personal email breaks several laws that would put *him* in prison, works wonders.
    Agree completely. but we are talking about MPs here. They’d pass a law to say that all communications in government must be recorded and classified, but then exempt themselves from the law.

Yes, in financial services it works, because people ended up in prison for violations.
    I think it was PJ O'Rourke who observed that some people wanted to use term limits on politicians. He wanted to try jail, as a term limiting method.
    I miss PJO. He would be providing great commentary now on the stupidity of the world
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

The SNP is to allow journalists to attend its hustings events in the party's leadership contest after facing a backlash over its initial decision not to do so.

The party's ruling committee said it wanted to make the sessions into "a safe space" in a statement yesterday and therefore no press would be allowed in.

But after considerable outcry, including from two of the candidates, a broadcast journalist, print journalist and pool camera will be able to attend the first hustings in Cumernauld on Wednesday evening.

Access to the other events are being explored, with the possibility they might be livestreamed.

https://www.holyrood.com/news/view,media-excluded-from-snp-leadership-hustings

No prizes for guessing which two…

Yes and all the tickets were gone quickly, ticket touts no doubt. Banana republic stuff for sure. It will be an obvious travesty of justice.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,775
    edited March 2023

geoffw said:

pm215 said:

Probably safer too:

Objectively better?

Lol come on…
    You come on.

The UK and right hand drive (aka drive on the left) nations have a better safety record and lower fatality rate, objectively proven, precisely because right hand drive is safer for the reasons we've been discussing.

Most of the country is right handed and most of the country is right eye dominant. So having the right hand be on the steering wheel more, and oncoming traffic in the right hand lane, is far, far safer than the left hand controlling the steering wheel more and the oncoming traffic in the left hand lane.

If you want to sacrifice that safety bonus for a few extra second hand cars in the market, which won't be many considering most people trading second hand stay fairly local anyway, then that's an idea but its not "objectively" better. The safety record of the UK and right hand drive in general is "objectively" better though.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,382
    edited March 2023

IanB2 said:

Cookie said:

pm215 said:

Probably safer too:

Yes, my understanding is that much of the world drives on the right basically out of spite. The French changed due to the revolution, when everything must be different, then swiftly conquered most of Europe and imposed it on them; the Americans similarly chose the right because the British were on the left, and they were influential elsewhere.

That map, by the way, would look a lot more yellow with a different projection. That projection makes Canada and Russia look much bigger than they are, and India, Southern Africa and Indonesia smaller.

When America was a young country wagons pulled by teams of horses were really popular and the wagon driver would sit on the leftmost horse because he could use his right hand as a whip hand to control all his horses.

That went against historical precedent before then, dating back to Roman times where driving on the left was the norm.

The UK stuck with history and stayed on the left. The USA embraced the novelty of what was happening at the time they founded and went with the right. As it happens, the left is safer, but America is stuck with what they chose back then.
    A lot of the laws in America don't seem to have safety as a major consideration.
    They make up for it with notices everywhere and on everything.
    Yes, they hand you a cup of coffee with a warning on it that it could be hot, while the person making it could have a revolver in their back pocket.
    I remember a short hike I did in South Dakota - less than a mile from the road to a lookout point - which began with a notice with lots of local rules and regulations, followed by a sign "steep path", positioned at a point where this was already obvious, continued through "loose stones", culminating with "dangerous edge" (or some such) - said edge only reachable if you were willing to make the effort to climb over a very secure-looking four foot high metal fence.

The West isn't quite as Wild as it once was...
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,135
    ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

The only problem with that book was that her knowledge of campanology was a bit ropey.
    I think I might have read that one, it rings a bell.
  • Options

Leon said:

I reckon Fauci might end up going to jail for the Lab Leak cover-up. Only his age would save him

There will be several nervous people in the UK as well. Jeremy Farrar, Patrick Vallance, Richard Horton, and others

It's unlikely as I doubt there will ever be conclusive proof of the virus's origin, not the kind of thing that would hold up in court. FWIW my view is that accidental lab leak is probably the most likely explanation (I've said that on here, so I'm sad not to get one of your medals) but normal mutation and animal to human transmission is also possible. Both explanations are potentially true; the virus's emergence close to the lab is strong circumstantial evidence in favour of the lab leak, but sometimes coincidences happen, eg Skripal being poisoned with a chemical weapon a few miles from the UK's chemical weapons facility, but it having nothing to do with that. I doubt we are going to see evidence for the lab leak as convincing as the cctv of the Russian agents bungling around Salisbury.
    Great post.

Far too intellectually subtle for the ragists on twitter. And one on here.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited March 2023
    Driver said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

There aren't any good solutions to password security, though, are there? Anything is limited by either the capactiy of the human brain or the average user's lack of give-a-damn.
    For most people, who aren’t going to have state-level actors trying to crack their security, a password-protected spreadsheet is more than good enough. Keep a hard copy in a safe as backup, in case you get hit by a bus and your other half needs it. The important rule is not to use the same password for multiple services.

I have a YubiKey token for 2FA, which is the next level up. Avoid things that rely on SMS for 2FA, if possible.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,917
    Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

pm215 said:

Probably safer too:

Road safety is one area where the UK is very good by international standards.

European car manufacturing specs are higher than anywhere else, driver standards are good, and road design removes a lot of the most serious accident types. I’ll admit to not thinking about whether driving on the left or the right would be inherently safer.
    There is a bit of concern about the increased prevalence of SUVs and pedestrian casualties, particularly outside primary schools.

This is a symptom of us copying American trends for massive cars. And American safety standards are much more biased towards the safety of the car occupants rather than pedestrians/cyclists that get hit by them.

• Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Well that, and DLS's invasive snobbishness & pretentiousness.

Wimsey is one of the most irritating detectives in fiction.

Having come late in life to the books, I think Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe is my all-time favourite now.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,544
    Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

The other thing to consider, is the value that the password locker services are holding.

I saw one estimate that one player is protecting passwords worth 10s of billions. Which would mean that it is protecting more than it costs for a nation state to develop nuclear weapons.

Is their security - personal and physical - up to that standard?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,028
    Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

pm215 said:

Probably safer too:

European car manufacturing specs are higher than anywhere else, driver standards are good, and road design removes a lot of the most serious accident types. I’ll admit to not thinking about whether driving on the left or the right would be inherently safer.
    Most UK (and European) tracks are CW (Brooklands and sometimes Knockhill are the only CCW tracks I can think of)so you're better off in an LHD car so you can see further through the corners. Also right hand gear changes are quicker if you're right handed.

I was smug when I got a UK registered LHD R8 for my track car project. Five exhaust manifolds, eight coil packs, three ECUs, two BCMs, etc. later there is no smugness.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

I though the reason is that if you walk round anti-clockwise, you risk being killed by a church tower pinnacle being pushed over on you by a member of the local Neighbourhood Watch Alliance?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,059

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

The other thing to consider, is the value that the password locker services are holding.

I saw one estimate that one player is protecting passwords worth 10s of billions. Which would mean that it is protecting more than it costs for a nation state to develop nuclear weapons.

Is their security - personal and physical - up to that standard?
    If it is done properly, then LastPass (or 1Password or Dashlane) has no ability to decrypt passwords themselves.

• Options
    Eabhal said:

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

pm215 said:

Probably safer too:

There is a bit of concern about the increased prevalence of SUVs and pedestrian casualties, particularly outside primary schools.

This is a symptom of us copying American trends for massive cars. And American safety standards are much more biased towards the safety of the car occupants rather than pedestrians/cyclists that get hit by them.

...and then try to "calm" traffic with road humps that massively inconvenience small car drivers and barely register if you are driving an American landship.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

pm215 said:

What?!
    Not that I disbelieve you - I knew this was coming this decade - but do you have a source for this? I'm surprised such a massive demographic milestone has passed without comment. This is rather bigger than the earth passing the 8 billion mark.
    Well it's all based on estimates so you can't say exactly when it will/has happened. A major body did announce it last year.

The bigger deal is the age profile of both countries. India is much younger so the population disparity will grow. Another reason to question Chinese hegemony in the future.
  • Options
    I think it is pretty clear that SKS will be running on competence.

He will argue he can deliver a Tory manifesto more competently than Sunak's Tories.

On those narrow terms of reference, he is right.

There will be no meaningful change of direction ... we will be going in the same direction, but with less drama.
  • Options

Leon said:

I reckon Fauci might end up going to jail for the Lab Leak cover-up. Only his age would save him

There will be several nervous people in the UK as well. Jeremy Farrar, Patrick Vallance, Richard Horton, and others

It's unlikely as I doubt there will ever be conclusive proof of the virus's origin, not the kind of thing that would hold up in court. FWIW my view is that accidental lab leak is probably the most likely explanation (I've said that on here, so I'm sad not to get one of your medals) but normal mutation and animal to human transmission is also possible. Both explanations are potentially true; the virus's emergence close to the lab is strong circumstantial evidence in favour of the lab leak, but sometimes coincidences happen, eg Skripal being poisoned with a chemical weapon a few miles from the UK's chemical weapons facility, but it having nothing to do with that. I doubt we are going to see evidence for the lab leak as convincing as the cctv of the Russian agents bungling around Salisbury.
    Well said, I agree with all of that.

On the other hand I also agree with Jon Stewart: https://youtu.be/sSfejgwbDQ8?t=169
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,487

Driver said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

I keep all of my passwords written down, in encrypted form, using a cipher of my own devising, in a little notebook that I keep with me at all times, and duplicated twice with one copy kept in a safe in my home, and another in a safe-deposit box on a different continent. I split the details of the cipher into twelve separate riddles that will be emailed to my wife after my death by Python scripts running on a dozen separate Raspberry Pis, that determine whether I have died by checking the comments on pb.com and seeing whether the time elapsed since my last comment has exceeded a threshold value approximately equal to sixteen times the total length of all the Radiohead albums...
    The only flaw I can see in that is that if RCS bans you (for long enough) for dissing Radiohead then your wife may be upset to be notified of your death.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,267

Cookie said:

Scott_xP said:

CD13 said:

The Remainer problem 'remains' that they never understood why they lost.

The Brexiteer problems remains they can't admit why they won.

Yes, free trade with our largest markets is better. But the closet racists and swivel eyed loons won the vote so suck it up...
    It doesn't really.
    As your earlier comment showed, another Remainer problem is that they think they are arguing with 17 million Nigel Farages for whom any cooperation with Europe is too much. In reality, almost all of those 17 million are keen for a normal, pragmatic relationship with Europe - just not one in which we are governed by Europe.

As I said earlier, almost all leavers I've seen express an opinion are entirely comfortable with this deal.
    The whole 17 million thing is very silly given that a large number of them have now died. I do agree, though, that what most people want is a better relationship with the EU than the one we have had until very recently.

That sounds like nonsense - how many do you think have died since 2016? Are you assuming anyone who died voted for Brexit? Huge if true.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,141
    Sandpit said:

I have a YubiKey token for 2FA, which is the next level up. Avoid things that rely on SMS for 2FA, if possible.

I use a Yubikey to unlock PasswordSafe
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Driver said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

For most people, who aren’t going to have state-level actors trying to crack their security, a password-protected spreadsheet is more than good enough. Keep a hard copy in a safe as backup, in case you get hit by a bus and your other half needs it. The important rule is not to use the same password for multiple services.

Password-protected spreadsheet fails the give-a-damn test, I'm afraid - it's potentially livable with if you only ever use one device but it's slower than a browser-integrated third-party system - but I have a work PC, home PC, laptop, work phone and personal phone

And, dear god, I hate text/email 2FA. Ping my mobile and let me use my fingerprint, anything else is too tedious.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,687
    edited March 2023
    kle4 said:

One for @NickPalmer

Further to the resignation of the selection committee, Broxtowe CLP EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE has resigned in its entirety from all officer positions.

Statement below 👇

https://twitter.com/broxtowelabour/status/1630635411558023182?s=46

The Tories went with a non local candidate and won, so no worries, ignore 'em Keir.
    Morning all.

Interesting list of positions, which I'd interpret as a mix of currently fashionable issues and local power blocks / factions. Surprising that "BAME" is still in use.

Perhaps there needs to be an Older Members rep, as that is the voting block they most need to make progress within.

I'd say that "Political Education Officer" is to do with Ed Miliband's "Community Organising" thing, with it's aim of centering community fora around Lab politcs.

I hate to think what list of positions is in Ashfield Labour.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

did it a peal to you?

ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Having come late in life to the books, I think Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe is my all-time favourite now.
    It clearly didn’t to you :smile:
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,917
    rcs1000 said:

Re driving on the left, my understanding is that Keir Starmer will propose that the UK aligns with the rest of Europe, and shifts to driving on the right. This will lower car prices for all, in the medium term.

However, because of the magnitude of the change, they won't move everyone onto driving on the right all at once. Instead, we'll start with lorries and HGVs, most of whose drivers are well used to driving on the right on the continent already. Cars and other light passenger vehicles will change to driving on the right a year later.

This will be brilliant for driving around the Highlands in July. Most people drive on the right anyway (a very near miss on Skye last year for me...)
  • Options
    Driver said:

Sandpit said:

Driver said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

Password-protected spreadsheet fails the give-a-damn test, I'm afraid - it's potentially livable with if you only ever use one device but it's slower than a browser-integrated third-party system - but I have a work PC, home PC, laptop, work phone and personal phone

And, dear god, I hate text/email 2FA. Ping my mobile and let me use my fingerprint, anything else is too tedious.
    And - of course - if your spreadsheet is network attached (hosted on Dropbox, or a Google Sheet) then it is potentially highly insecure.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,410
    Selebian said:

Driver said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

I keep all of my passwords written down, in encrypted form, using a cipher of my own devising, in a little notebook that I keep with me at all times, and duplicated twice with one copy kept in a safe in my home, and another in a safe-deposit box on a different continent. I split the details of the cipher into twelve separate riddles that will be emailed to my wife after my death by Python scripts running on a dozen separate Raspberry Pis, that determine whether I have died by checking the comments on pb.com and seeing whether the time elapsed since my last comment has exceeded a threshold value approximately equal to sixteen times the total length of all the Radiohead albums...
    The only flaw I can see in that is that if RCS bans you (for long enough) for dissing Radiohead then your wife may be upset to be notified of your death.
    If I'm still alive then I have plenty of time to switchover the Raspberry Pis to monitor for comments-in-exile on Comment Is Free. Otherwise the threshold value wouldn't need to be half as long.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,135

Leon said:

Well said, I agree with all of that.

On the other hand I also agree with Jon Stewart: https://youtu.be/sSfejgwbDQ8?t=169
    Jon Stewart is very good. The Daily Show and Colbert Report were daily viewing when I lived in the US. I wish we could produce topical political satire even a tenth of what they can in the US. They have great material to work with, to be fair, but then so have we.
  • Options

geoffw said:

pm215 said:

Probably safer too:

Objectively better?

Lol come on…
    You come on.

The UK and right hand drive (aka drive on the left) nations have a better safety record and lower fatality rate, objectively proven, precisely because right hand drive is safer for the reasons we've been discussing.

Most of the country is right handed and most of the country is right eye dominant. So having the right hand be on the steering wheel more, and oncoming traffic in the right hand lane, is far, far safer than the left hand controlling the steering wheel more and the oncoming traffic in the left hand lane.

If you want to sacrifice that safety bonus for a few extra second hand cars in the market, which won't be many considering most people trading second hand stay fairly local anyway, then that's an idea but its not "objectively" better. The safety record of the UK and right hand drive in general is "objectively" better though.
    That is all true.

HOWEVER.

I'd really like to bring my Rivian back to the UK from the US. I can deal with the lack of charging infrastructure, but the left hand drive thing is a big problem.

So... if everyone could change to driving on the other side of the road for my convenience, I would really appreciate that.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Driver said:

Sandpit said:

Driver said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

And - of course - if your spreadsheet is network attached (hosted on Dropbox, or a Google Sheet) then it is potentially highly insecure.
    Indeed, hence the "one device" stipulation. If I can't use an online password manager then obviously I can't share my spreadsheet across devices...
  • Options
    Well, if you've spent your whole career asking questions, it's not surprising that you're not very good at answering them :wink:
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,120

In practice there won't be a difference between genuine co-operation and dynamic alignment. This food additive that the EU have banned and we haven't yet. Is it worth a load of trade barriers over? They have banned it as they are committed to ever higher food standards. We are committed to ever higher food standards but haven't yet done so.

If we now ban it, does that count as dynamic alignment, genuine co-operation or just operational expediency? There was this belief that the evil EU would impose a high-cost low-value new standard on the whole EU just to spite the UK. Now that we have discarded the ERG can we accept how paranoid and delusional that sounds?

Now do financial services. It's naive to think that regulatory policies are entirely neutral.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Wait, after the Department of Energy (which runs America’s labs), now the FBI as well

“FBI director says China lab leak likely caused COVID pandemic reut.rs/3ZvnpM4”

https://twitter.com/reutersworld/status/1630787614339997699?s=61&t=WRCjTU6ziZxrD6WC07DgVQ

"FBI Director Christopher Wray said Tuesday that the Covid pandemic was probably the result of a laboratory leak in China, providing the first public confirmation of the bureau’s classified judgment of how the virus..first emerged. "

https://twitter.com/r_h_ebright/status/1630721900878897152?s=61&t=WRCjTU6ziZxrD6WC07DgVQ

Does anyone apart from certified morons still believe this “came from a pangolin crossed with.a zebra in a market”

It’s over. Now we need trials

I've asked before - which type of lab leak?

A) a sample, collected from nature, incorrectly contained and becoming the source

OR

B) a genetically altered/engineered (e.g. gain of function) virus

If A, its unfortunate (yes really), but I don't know who you want to put on trial?

If B, and crimes have been committed, which crimes, by who, and where?
  • Options

Driver said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

I hope the notebook is kept in a nuclear briefcase chained to your wrist.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884
    Selebian said:

Well, if you've spent your whole career asking questions, it's not surprising that you're not very good at answering them :wink:
    Personally I think when he comes under the spotlight at the GE he will be a real turn off

No wonder over 60& of voters think we need a real alternative to the 2 main Parties

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-tories-starmer-sunak-poll-b2290995.html
  • Options
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

pm215 said:

Presumably because most of the Chinese died in the latest variant driven wave...
  • Options
    DayTripperDayTripper Posts: 129

geoffw said:

pm215 said:

Probably safer too:

In horse-riding lessons people are told to pass left-to-left. I've always wondered when, and why, this changed, and whether the supposed rule about keeping the sword arm on the side of an oncoming rider was simply a just-so explanation made up afterwards for a convention that arose for other reasons, or entirely by chance.

https://www.ponymag.com/pony-know-how/riding-open-order/
    Ditto if you're in a boat - pass port to port.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,901
    edited March 2023
    Sandpit said:

Driver said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

Yes, that is the critical rule, but widely ignored. A frighteningly large number of my acquaintances do indeed use the same password for multiple services. The danger of doing so was brought home to me a while back:

Some time ago, I had to create an account on a small company's in-house system in order to be able to invoice them. The web portal to the system didn't inspire a great deal of confidence, and, lo and behold, a couple of years later I was contacted by scammers who had broken into their system and obtained my email and password. They tried to blackmail me into giving them money with threats that they would use my password to access my other accounts. Thankfully, though, I hadn't used that password or any variant of it for my other accounts, so I could safely ignore their threats. I'd hate to think what would have happened otherwise.

TL;DR: Don't ever use the same password (or variant thereof) for multiple accounts!
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,410

Driver said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

Christ no, far too exposed.

I use a custom gun holster so that it is secure and out of sight - except for a small bulge. This has only caused me an issue one time, following a misunderstanding when travelling through airport security at Chicago O'Hare International Airport...
  • Options

ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

The real hero of Rex Stout's wonderful series is Archie Goodwin, not Nero Wolfe, which is what makes it so special. That and the orchids.

BTW PG Wodehouse was a huge Rex Stout fan - which shows just how good he was.

And, finally, yes, Wimsey is annoying. The Nine Tailors sees him at his best, and his presence is muted by the greatness of the picture of fen life in 1930 somewhere on the borders of Lincs, Cambs and Norfolk. Not all that far from Algarkirk.

• Options
    edited March 2023
    rcs1000 said:

Re driving on the left, my understanding is that Keir Starmer will propose that the UK aligns with the rest of Europe, and shifts to driving on the right. This will lower car prices for all, in the medium term.

However, because of the magnitude of the change, they won't move everyone onto driving on the right all at once. Instead, we'll start with lorries and HGVs, most of whose drivers are well used to driving on the right on the continent already. Cars and other light passenger vehicles will change to driving on the right a year later.

Rather sums up our failed EU membership that in 40 years we never managed to convince Europeans to drive on the right side of the road. Now they have the nerve to say we're going to be left behind. I don't think Starmer is bold enough to run with your idea but might I suggest an alternative? In the new spirit of compromise we introduce driving on the right i.e wrong side of the road in those areas that support remain/rejoin and keep driving on the left i.e correct side in Brexitland?

This idea could even be extended to km rather than miles on all the road signs or even full metrification within a 3 mile radius of any Pret A Manger. Meanwhile in Brexitland everything would continue to be sold in pounds, ounces, flagons and gallons.

• Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,824
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

If you can point out what criminal offence he has committed, that would be great.
    It is almost like someone wants to "cancel" and "ban" people who he disagrees with, only he would rather send them to prison instead.....
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,888
    Eabhal said:

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

pm215 said:

Probably safer too:

Rather, to ensure room for a gun rack behind the front seats with space for several assault rifles, etc., I think
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,687
    edited March 2023
    Eabhal said:

rcs1000 said:

This will be brilliant for driving around the Highlands in July. Most people drive on the right anyway (a very near miss on Skye last year for me...)
    That feels like a squirrel, and perhaps a meaningless sop to the "be like Europe" brigade. Assuming it is not satire :smile:

We already need massive change in our road infra eg resetting general speed limits, changing basic assumptions around junctions to prioritise safety, with insufficient investment already happening, and Mr Starmer proposes to put another huge financial demand on top that we don't need to do - at a time when he is going to struggle to raise taxes, having attempted to brand Lab a lower tax party.

That will go well.

Has he costed this policy, and how will he pay for it? What will the impact be of 38 million LHD vehicles suddenly driving on the right on road safety?

(Have I taken this slightly too seriously?)
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Driver said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

Yes, that is the critical rule, but widely ignored. A frighteningly large number of my acquaintances do indeed use the same password for multiple services. The danger of doing so was brought home to me a while back:

Some time ago, I had to create an account on a small company's in-house system in order to be able to invoice them. The web portal to the system didn't inspire a great deal of confidence, and, lo and behold, a couple of years later I was contacted by scammers who had broken into their system and obtained my email and password. They tried to blackmail me into giving them money with threats that they would use my password to access my other accounts. Thankfully, though, I hadn't used that password or any variant of it for my other accounts, so I could safely ignore their threats. I'd hate to think what would have happened otherwise.

TL;DR: Don't ever use the same password (or variant thereof) for multiple accounts!
    I use the same password on lots of services, but only those that aren't important. Similarly for webpages that make you sign up to browse the site etc . . . If I sign up for a web game or similar I use the same password every time. If I get hacked and lose access to a game, its not that important, and I can't be bothered remembering a new password for every site or creating a list secured elsewhere that does so.

My email, online banking, work and other secure sites have a unique password each which I can remember, rather than trying to remember hundreds for loads of crap that honestly why does it matter?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

That's a great book. When I walked the coast, one (of several) reasons I walked clockwise was to avoid walking it widdershins.

The only person I know of who failed to complete the walk (he fell off cliffs at Tintagel, which didn't do him much good) was walking it widdershins. In fact, he had several issues: he went into a toilet at a beach, and someone stole his pack which he had left outside; his girlfriend split up with him in the middle of the walk, and then he had his fall.

Just sayin' ;)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

It would be better to do a trial in Northern Ireland first before rolling it out to the rest of the UK. People can change lanes at the invisible border.
  • Options

Driver said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

Christ no, far too exposed.

I use a custom gun holster so that it is secure and out of sight - except for a small bulge. This has only caused me an issue one time, following a misunderstanding when travelling through airport security at Chicago O'Hare International Airport...
    Is that how you came to be known as Lost Password?
  • Options

Selebian said:

Personally I think when he comes under the spotlight at the GE he will be a real turn off

No wonder over 60& of voters think we need a real alternative to the 2 main Parties

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-tories-starmer-sunak-poll-b2290995.html
    I don't think Sunak is much better. Step forward the LDs with... oh, Ed Davey :disappointed:

Could be a massive snoozefest all round.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,551

Leon said:

Wait, after the Department of Energy (which runs America’s labs), now the FBI as well

https://twitter.com/reutersworld/status/1630787614339997699?s=61&t=WRCjTU6ziZxrD6WC07DgVQ

"FBI Director Christopher Wray said Tuesday that the Covid pandemic was probably the result of a laboratory leak in China, providing the first public confirmation of the bureau’s classified judgment of how the virus..first emerged. "

https://twitter.com/r_h_ebright/status/1630721900878897152?s=61&t=WRCjTU6ziZxrD6WC07DgVQ

Does anyone apart from certified morons still believe this “came from a pangolin crossed with.a zebra in a market”

A) a sample, collected from nature, incorrectly contained and becoming the source

OR

If A, its unfortunate (yes really), but I don't know who you want to put on trial?

Calling A unfortunate when 20+ million are dead, hundreds of millions have been ill, and billions infected, and that's before we consider the economic cost, seems a tad understated. It's a Lab Leak with consequences on a par with a World War. If negligence was the cause we probably should execute those responsible to set a precedent.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Driver said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

I use the same password on lots of services, but only those that aren't important. Similarly for webpages that make you sign up to browse the site etc . . . If I sign up for a web game or similar I use the same password every time. If I get hacked and lose access to a game, its not that important, and I can't be bothered remembering a new password for every site or creating a list secured elsewhere that does so.

My email, online banking, work and other secure sites have a unique password each which I can remember, rather than trying to remember hundreds for loads of crap that honestly why does it matter?
    Yeah, that's fair enough, and I do that sometimes myself. But only for sites that really are completely inconsequential if compromised.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

pm215 said:

Probably safer too:

Objectively better?

Lol come on…
    You come on.

That is all true.

HOWEVER.

I'd really like to bring my Rivian back to the UK from the US. I can deal with the lack of charging infrastructure, but the left hand drive thing is a big problem.

So... if everyone could change to driving on the other side of the road for my convenience, I would really appreciate that.
    One thing the Tories have never got around to privatising is the road network. So why not sell it off? The IEA reckons it could raise £150bn. Then it would just be up to the owners of each road whether they wanted left or right hand drive and people could choose which roads they prefer to drive on.

https://iea.org.uk/in-the-media/press-release/denationalising-britain’s-roads-would-raise-more-£150bn-new-research-show
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Driver said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

An alternative strategy for sites like that is using a completely random password and deliberately forgetting it. If you ever need to log into the same site again, it only takes a few seconds to reset the password via email.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

pm215 said:

Probably safer too:

Objectively better?

Lol come on…
    You come on.

That is all true.

HOWEVER.

One thing the Tories have never got around to privatising is the road network. So why not sell it off? The IEA reckons it could raise £150bn. Then it would just be up to the owners of each road whether they wanted left or right hand drive and people could choose which roads they prefer to drive on.
    The other option is to just make the UK into a massive one-way system. Much simpler and safer.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,962
    edited March 2023
    Sarah Vine writes a pathetic whiny article over how Brexit ruined her social life and effected her marriage.

Failing at anytime to say it was worth all the drama to get Brexit , no benefits of Brexit listed . It’s all poor me !

And we should care why ? She jumped on the Brexit bandwagon robbing people of their freedom of movement rights so she can keep her pathetic whining to herself .
  • Options
    glw said:

Leon said:

OR

Calling A unfortunate when 20+ million are dead, hundreds of millions have been ill, and billions infected, and that's before we consider the economic cost, seems a tad understated. It's a Lab Leak with consequences on a par with a World War. If negligence was the cause we probably should execute those responsible to set a precedent.
    There's more than one way a lab leak can occur: but just to check, you are proposing that we execute people for the consequences of negligence?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785

I think it is pretty clear that SKS will be running on competence.

He will argue he can deliver a Tory manifesto more competently than Sunak's Tories.

On those narrow terms of reference, he is right.

There will be no meaningful change of direction ... we will be going in the same direction, but with less drama.
    I’m sure there will be plenty of drama when public spending/salaries meets “no major tax increases”…..
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited March 2023
    Mr Algarkirk,

Were you ever a fan of Boston United? Did you ever go to the Glider?

Years ago, I had a temporary job at Fisons, and one of the men was called 'wet day Bob'.

His wife was a real country girl and they lived near Algarkirk. It turned out Bob had a 'fancy woman' in Boston, who he'd spend some of his pay packet on come Thursday. When his wife asked where the rest of the money had gone, he'd claim he'd had a wet day. Despite working indoors in a factory.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846

Sandpit said:

Driver said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

I find keepass works well for me, local password file so not stored on anyone elses computer and I can store the password file on multiple devices as needed and just a script to push keystore changes out to all devices on my local network.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

The real hero of Rex Stout's wonderful series is Archie Goodwin, not Nero Wolfe, which is what makes it so special. That and the orchids.

And, finally, yes, Wimsey is annoying. The Nine Tailors sees him at his best, and his presence is muted by the greatness of the picture of fen life in 1930 somewhere on the borders of Lincs, Cambs and Norfolk. Not all that far from Algarkirk.

Hang on: you think Nine Tailors is better than Strong Poison?

Freak.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,824
    nico679 said:

Sarah Vine writes a pathetic whiny article over how Brexit ruined her social life and effected her marriage.

Failing at anytime to say it was worth all the drama to get Brexit , no benefits of Brexit listed . It’s all poor me !

And we should care why ? She jumped on the Brexit bandwagon robbing people of their freedom of movement rights so she can keep her pathetic whining to herself .

If you lobby strongly for something you know is going to be extremely divisive don't be suprised when people, families, friends, political parties and loyalties get divided.....
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Driver said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

I find keepass works well for me, local password file so not stored on anyone elses computer and I can store the password file on multiple devices as needed and just a script to push keystore changes out to all devices on my local network.
    "just a script" definitely fails the "average user give-a-damn" test...
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Interestingly, I recall an urban myth that it is illegal to drive three times around a roundabout - maybe there is a connection? A law that a more youthful Cookie once carefully broke to see what would happen. Neither the police nor the devil were summoned and I continued my journey to Reading without further incident.
    I once missed a turn on a roundabout late at night, went round again and got pulled by the police. They apparently thought I was 'taking the piss'. I was not, and was not drunk, so went on my way!
  • Options
    Serkeir wants to win the election.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Algarkirk,

Were you ever a fan of Boston United? Did you ever go to the Glider?

Years ago, I had a temporary job at Fisons, and one of the men was called 'wet day Bob'.

His wife was a real country girl and they lived near Algarkirk. It turned out Bob had a 'fancy woman' in Boston, who he'd spend some of his pay packet on come Thursday. When his wife asked where the rest of the money had gone, he'd claim he'd had a wet day. Despite working indoors in a factory.

No and No! Sadly.

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Bellend!
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

I agree with you -- the most interesting portions of 'The Nine Tailors' are the descriptions of Fenland life.

Harriet Vane is more interesting than the absurd Wimsey & the feudal Bunter. The best of DLS's books is Gaudy Night where Vane (& female education) is centre stage.

I was on the side of the bedder who attacks all the dons and I was heartbroken when she was caught by the wretched monocled Wimsey.

Goodwin & Wolfe are an incredible combo. I prefer Wolfe to Goodwin. Both Aunt Dahlia and Bertie Wooster were big fans, as was their creator.

I think the Nero Wolfe novels are stylistically very close to PG Wodehouse -- in that they create a highly artificial, yet enchanting & somehow believable, Universe in the brownstone on West 35th Street.

I mean, there is no-one who ever lived who was anything like Nero Wolfe. Or Archie Goodwin.

Just like there was no-one who ever lived who was anything like Jeeves. Or Bertie Wooster.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,926
    Leon said:

It could have been released by aliens, though, have you thought of that?

"No one would have believed, in the early years of the twenty first century that human affairs were being watched from the timeless worlds of space. No one could have dreamed that we were being scrutinized, as someone with a microscope studies creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. Few men even considered the possibility of life on other planets and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this Earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely, they drew their plans against us."
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

You forgot the key bit - initially the lorries and HGVs will be driving in *reverse* on the right.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Driver said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

I use a Keepass file on my Google Drive. I reckon the low chance of someone cracking both the Google cloud security and the Keepass encryption is low enough to justify the convenience of having my passwords accessible from all my devices. I could be convinced otherwise though by someone with more knowledge than me in security matters.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

Sandpit said:

Driver said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

The example i use to demonstrate this one, is the famous “iCloud Hack” from a few years ago, that let to a number of people having their photos published online. iCloud wasn’t hacked though, Yahoo was hacked, and those that lost their iCloud data were using the same login details for both services. All the “iCloud hackers” did was log in using the published Yahoo details.
  • Options

Leon said:

I think thats wrong re Skripal. It was done by Porton Down to prove a point, and Skripal was the lucky victim.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Interestingly, I recall an urban myth that it is illegal to drive three times around a roundabout - maybe there is a connection? A law that a more youthful Cookie once carefully broke to see what would happen. Neither the police nor the devil were summoned and I continued my journey to Reading without further incident.
    I once missed a turn on a roundabout late at night, went round again and got pulled by the police. They apparently thought I was 'taking the piss'. I was not, and was not drunk, so went on my way!
    If you go round seven times, it collapses. See Jericho.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846
    Driver said:

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Driver said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

most users will likely only have 2 devices or at most 3 they need it on so a manual copy and paste once a week does the trick
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,282
    rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

pm215 said:

Probably safer too:

Objectively better?

Lol come on…
    You come on.

That is all true.

HOWEVER.

all true? "far far safer" "objectively proven". I have searched and there isn't really a lot of evidence for this.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,926

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

I agree with you -- the most interesting portions of 'The Nine Tailors' are the descriptions of Fenland life.

Harriet Vane is more interesting than the absurd Wimsey & the feudal Bunter. The best of DLS's books is Gaudy Night where Vane (& female education) is centre stage.

I was on the side of the bedder who attacks all the dons and I was heartbroken when she was caught by the wretched monocled Wimsey.

Goodwin & Wolfe are an incredible combo. I prefer Wolfe to Goodwin. Both Aunt Dahlia and Bertie Wooster were big fans, as was their creator.

I think the Nero Wolfe novels are stylistically very close to PG Wodehouse -- in that they create a highly artificial, yet enchanting & somehow believable, Universe in the brownstone on West 35th Street.

I mean, there is no-one who ever lived who was anything like Nero Wolfe. Or Archie Goodwin.

Just like there was no-one who ever lived who was anything like Jeeves. Or Bertie Wooster.
    Sweet Poison is great.

I love the jury forewoman who really doesn't care whether Harriet killed her boyfriend or not, because the man was a cad, and deserved it.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,788
    rcs1000 said:

At least it would provide a strong market incentive to make the switch.
    The invisible hand, applied by truck of doom.
  • Options
    glw said:

Leon said:

OR

Unfortunate in that nature generated a virus with the potential to kill millions.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    Just to cheer everyone up, as we’re on security my FA just pointed out I (indeed everyone) needs one of these:

https://www.lastingpowerofattorney.service.gov.uk/home

https://www.lastingpowerofattorney.service.gov.uk/guide#topic-certificate-providers

• Options
    Pagan2 said:

Driver said:

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

Driver said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

most users will likely only have 2 devices or at most 3 they need it on so a manual copy and paste once a week does the trick
    And that fails the same test. I think you have too high expectations of the average user.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,501

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Yes, agree entirely. The story is almost incidental to the background.
    I know quite a bit about bell-ringing, and am happy to confirm that its description of ringing-related matters is pretty good. AFAIAA, however, you can't kill someone with noise, however loud and protracted.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,319
    Fair play to Northern Ireland. It's about time they were given a break. As for Rishi, you probably don't get to be a Tory MP these days without robust anti-European credentials, and I suspect he believed much of it himself at the time. But the man's not stupid. He knows that the Boris boosterish Brexit turned out to be a hollow mockery in the cold light of day, and the public are moving on even if the crumbly old ERG crowd isn't. Rishi will do what he has to do...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,788

Sandpit said:

Driver said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

Yeah, that's fair enough, and I do that sometimes myself. But only for sites that really are completely inconsequential if compromised.
    Surely not PB ?
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited March 2023
    When the pandemic first emerged, Boris should have buried the hatchet and put Jeremy Hunt back in charge of health.

But Boris was an idiot who picked a cabinet of fools who would pose no threat to him.

Kakistocracy, I think, is the word.
This discussion has been closed.