Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

LAB extend lead to 18% in the “Red Wall” – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,900
    Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

malcolmg said:

Wow!

That Indian Council of Scotland and the UK, along with the Muslim Council of the UK, have issued an extraordinary joint statement saying that:

"The Indian community in Scotland would live in fear if Humza Yousaf becomes First Minister."

https://twitter.com/AgentP22/status/1628310817966809089?s=20

I double checked - the statement is on their Facebook page.

Not a surprise if you live in Scotland
    I can't find any evidence of the "Muslim Council of the UK", and think it's an attempt to conflate with the Muslim Council of Britain.

Still digging into the Indian Council of Scotland, but they don't have a large online presence, at the very least.
    The Indian Council of Scotland are on Facebook with 1k followers. As are the Muslim Council of the U.K. which appeared yesterday and has 3 followers….
    Quite. Interesting to see how many PBers fell for that straight off.
    You could tell something was off just by the way it was written.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,696
    Stocky said:

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

malcolmg said:

Wow!

That Indian Council of Scotland and the UK, along with the Muslim Council of the UK, have issued an extraordinary joint statement saying that:

"The Indian community in Scotland would live in fear if Humza Yousaf becomes First Minister."

I don't understand why this guy is odds-on favourite. I smell a campaign against Forbes. Is she value now?
    He's fav because Ms Forbes looks as if she has done a kamikaze (I'm not quite so sure) and the southern media haven't bothered to look up Ms Regan and do some research instead of relying on lazy sterotypes about island hellfire preachers like something out of Wicker Man (the FCS, for one thing, not being a specifically island kirk). I don't think the betting is likely to be particularly well informed by the standard of such things.
    Well I'm laying Yousaf at these odds.

There is Regan and I'm not convinced that Forbes is out of it In the current climate - and he is surely vulnerable to another candidate trowing their hat in in the next two days.
    Exactly. Two days, two and a half hours to go yet before noms close.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995

Ash Regan it is then. Victory for the blank canvas.

Not quite…..a tale of three tweets:

I will not support an accelerated net zero path which sees us turn off the North Sea taps, throw 10s of 1000s of oil workers out of jobs, hollow out NE & H&I communities whist still using and importing hydrocarbons. I will stand up for our oil workers and their communities.….

The dualling of the A9 must be accelerated & A96 must commence without delay. There are too many accidents and near misses. We need these completed to release the full economic potential of the NE and Highlands and to connect communities. This is my #1 infrastructure priority.

50%+1 of combined votes from pro-independence parties in any WM or HR election is a clear instruction from the electorate that we commence withdrawal negotiations from the U.K. Independence - nothing less

https://twitter.com/AshReganSNP/status/1627723019668815877?s=20
    Nothing better sums up the yearning of an occupied country. fighting for its identity that the conversion of the A9 into a dual carriageway. It's going to be the foundational epic of the new nation.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,204
    edited February 2023
    Dura_Ace said:

I will not support an accelerated net zero path which sees us turn off the North Sea taps, throw 10s of 1000s of oil workers out of jobs, hollow out NE & H&I communities whist still using and importing hydrocarbons. I will stand up for our oil workers and their communities.….

The dualling of the A9 must be accelerated & A96 must commence without delay. There are too many accidents and near misses. We need these completed to release the full economic potential of the NE and Highlands and to connect communities. This is my #1 infrastructure priority.

50%+1 of combined votes from pro-independence parties in any WM or HR election is a clear instruction from the electorate that we commence withdrawal negotiations from the U.K. Independence - nothing less

Nothing better sums up the yearning of an occupied country. fighting for its identity that the conversion of the A9 into a dual carriageway. It's going to be the foundational epic of the new nation.
    Come on DA, aren't you just a little bit inspired by the idea of bombing up the newly dualled A9 at 175mph?

Although if you drive that slowly be prepared to be overtaken by all the locals.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Off Topic

I see the pensions website on gov.uk is still down. Martin Lewis has a helluva following.

Hmm. This is a time when we have had a major change to regs on topping up, too. And when people will want to know if their extra payments got in OK before the deadline.
    Yes, I still want to do some checks myself.
    My entire sympathy. Mrs C and I had to do all that several times over in the last year or so.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Re cost of living Asda have a single can of Heinz tomato soup for £1.70 but if you buy 2 x 6 packs they are 75p each

Huge difference

Assuming you have £9.
    And want to only eat tomato soup.
    Then that's OK then.
    Thanks for your input.
    Exactly the kind of stuff that's winning Tory support.
    I was demonstrating the difference and not making a political point to be fair
    And that's why you don't get it.
    And why many can't understand why the government is so unpopular.
    Never mind, Drakeford's latest policy is to ban all multi buy offers in Wales
    I don't like travelling at a maximum speed of 20mph. Living where I do, I do not intend to dispose of my car and take non-existent public transport as Drakeford demands by his cancellation of all road projects.. Even Andrew RT Davies looks attractive after that last policy.

But I am with Shaky Drakey over the multi buy ban. Encouraging excessive purchasing is potentially wasteful and potentially encourages gluttony. It is all about supermarkets maximising customer spend per visit, with an expectation of wastage so you come back for more anyway. Just price at the best price like Aldi and Lidl, it's simple really. The big 4 supermarket cabal is the instrument of the Devil. Unfair to farmers and producers, unfair to consumers. A plague on their supply of salad vegetables. Oh wait...
    I thought the Drake was also banning Meal Deals.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/people-angry-idea-ban-meal-26275956

The argument is that the food is cheaper if bought together ... which is, err, bad.
    No that is a fair point, particularly when the snack element can be fruit to be consumed immediately. You've tumbled my game,
    FM Andrew RT Davies it is then (and I am not being flippant).
    Of course, the Drake announced he was going <= 2024. (Probably the sad death of his wife makes this sooner rather than later.)

So, yet another leadership election before the next GE ... this time of Llafur.

It is quite conceivable that we end up with Sunak as PM, Yousaf as FM of Scotland and Gething as FM of Wales.

Which would be progress on at least one front ... though possibly not the competence front.
  • Options
    Just on the dinosaurs and Forbes thing - there are literal dinosaur footprints on Skye, in her constituency.

If I were an enterprising journalist, I'd be doing a piece to camera from there this morning.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

But will they dual the A1 south of Berwick? Bit pointless unionists lecturing us on dualling the A1 otherwise (though logically it also works the other way round).
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,923

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Re cost of living Asda have a single can of Heinz tomato soup for £1.70 but if you buy 2 x 6 packs they are 75p each

Huge difference

Assuming you have £9.
    And want to only eat tomato soup.
    Then that's OK then.
    Thanks for your input.
    Exactly the kind of stuff that's winning Tory support.
    I was demonstrating the difference and not making a political point to be fair
    And that's why you don't get it.
    And why many can't understand why the government is so unpopular.
    Never mind, Drakeford's latest policy is to ban all multi buy offers in Wales
    I don't like travelling at a maximum speed of 20mph. Living where I do, I do not intend to dispose of my car and take non-existent public transport as Drakeford demands by his cancellation of all road projects.. Even Andrew RT Davies looks attractive after that last policy.

But I am with Shaky Drakey over the multi buy ban. Encouraging excessive purchasing is potentially wasteful and potentially encourages gluttony. It is all about supermarkets maximising customer spend per visit, with an expectation of wastage so you come back for more anyway. Just price at the best price like Aldi and Lidl, it's simple really. The big 4 supermarket cabal is the instrument of the Devil. Unfair to farmers and producers, unfair to consumers. A plague on their supply of salad vegetables. Oh wait...
    How can buying multiple tins be wasteful.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    edited February 2023
    CD13 said:

We went to a lesbian wedding a year or two ago. A pleasant and peaceful affair. Having spent a couple of decades playing rugby in my youth, I'm amazed any woman is heterosexual.

But as a committed Catholic, I'd vote for Forbes or Tim Farron. No problem with heretics at all.

You can be elected UK PM as an atheist or religious now. Starmer is an atheist but respectful of those with faith, Cameron and May and Boris were Christians and Sunak is Hindu.

However you probably can't be elected PM now if you follow all the Bible or the Koran so strictly you openly oppose homosexual marriage or you want to ban abortion completely. The same applies to FM of Scotland, hence Forbes' problems.

• Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    edited February 2023
    CD13 said:

We went to a lesbian wedding a year or two ago. A pleasant and peaceful affair. Having spent a couple of decades playing rugby in my youth, I'm amazed any woman is heterosexual.

But as a committed Catholic, I'd vote for Forbes or Tim Farron. No problem with heretics at all.

We have a relative in Canada. Not one of nature's beauties to be honest, much of it self-inflicted obeseness. Maybe that's harsh - not uncommon in Canada it seems to me. A shame. Anyway, her plan is to give it a couple of years and then if no man has appeared she will pop into the sperm bank clinic instead. She can choose between a range of donor characteristics (hair colour, eye colour, IQ, height etc) by perusing a catalogue.

Not sure how I feel about this to be honest.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Does all this mean Forbes has no hope of becoming first minister? Not necessarily. But I think she and her aides may have misidentified the resistance she is facing. Secular voters are fine with religion as culture. We’re a’ Jock Tamson’s bairns. They are even fine with religion as a moral purpose in politics. It is the fire and brimstone they have a problem with. The weeping and gnashing of teeth. The smiting. Leviticus is a bit of a downer.

Forbes needs to make some things clear. Although a product of fundamentalist Presbyterianism, she is not its prisoner. Although a believer, she is not a proselytiser. Although she is living a religious life, the rest of us can live whatever lives we goddam like, and she will defend our right to do so. Is she capable of giving those answers?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/kenny-farquharson-is-scotland-ready-for-a-wee-free-leader-8vbcv28c3

Kenny is a fanny of Fannies.
  • Options

Wow!

That's quite something.
    At this rate it’s going to be last person standing!

While Indian Council of Scotland is Tory friendly the criticism of the Broughty Ferry Nursery Case is justified.
    Not just Tory friendly - keen on Arlene Foster, too:

https://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/news/politics/indian-council-scotland-claim-new-28641874

Perhaps a bit of research may be useful before judging the merit of a statement from the "Indian Council of Scotland", which doesn't even have a website?
    Not friendly to all Tories:

https://www.thenational.scot/news/20103467.douglas-ross-told-resign-indian-council-scotland/

The “Muslim Council of UK” seems dodgy as heck, but the Indian Council has been around a while and Yousuf has behaved questionably over the Nursery case.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

malcolmg said:

Wow!

I can't find any evidence of the "Muslim Council of the UK", and think it's an attempt to conflate with the Muslim Council of Britain.

Still digging into the Indian Council of Scotland, but they don't have a large online presence, at the very least.
    The Indian Council of Scotland are on Facebook with 1k followers. As are the Muslim Council of the U.K. which appeared yesterday and has 3 followers….
    Using FB as a platform should be a pretty big clue, reeks entirely of angry old gammons lashing out with whatever means are at there disposal (green ink letters to the much diminished press being another fave). I’m not surprised that AgentPee would be taken in by the ‘Muslim Council of the UK’, can’t wait to hear Historywoman’s take.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,577
    edited February 2023
    algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:
    Why would anyone give a toss about what she thinks about it?
    Actually her comments in this were well worth reading.

Aside from saying that Forbes honest was something to admire, she pointed out that condemning people’s religiously inspired beliefs actually goes against one of the specific roles of an Equality Minister in the U.K.

Protection of the right to worship as you chose.

I could compile a list of religions that have issues with the modern liberal world. The short version is that if you want to go to war with them, you would be going to war with quite a few immigrants.
    No one is opposing her right to worship as she chooses, just opposing her as a prospective FM.

Personally I am quite OK with her views on these things, despite coming from a much more liberal church.

It would be interesting to hear more on her role as Finance Minister, and views on a further Sindyref. I suspect those would be less to the taste of our Wokefinder Generals.
    There is also the question of local politics. Do we ban people with religious views from holding power there? There are plenty of areas where allowing religious beliefs to influence politics has a very real effect e.g. education, social services etc.

@Malmesbury's point is an interesting one though. If you take the reaction against Forbes, we essentially would be saying a fair good percentage of the immigrant population would effectively be disbarred from being in charge.

Who wants to go first at saying that?
    You seem to have missed my point. Despite disagreeing with her views, I am quite OK about Kate Fobes as a national politician.

I have no problem with similar views expressed by African Christians or Asian Muslims either.

All these views are fine as long as people respect the law and do not try to legislate their morality onto other people.
    It isn't possible to keep belief, politics, morality, legislation, secularity, religion, worldview all is separate boxes.

Religion is merely a subsample of 'beliefs' generally. Certainty is so elusive that most of what we think are beliefs…
    ..Gay marriage is similar. Some people (a minority at the moment which Forbes and I are both in though we probably differ about most things) think that marriage is better defined such that it is only between one man and one woman, and that is objectively better for society. Genuine beliefs differ. Gosh. Fancy that.

If certainty is so elusive, how do you believe such a thing (which seems pretty daft to me, FWIW) objectively ?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995
    ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

Come on DA, aren't you just a little bit inspired by the idea of bombing up the newly dualled A9 at 175mph?

Although if you drive that slowly be prepared to be overtaken by all the locals.
    I'm sure it's a worthy idea. I just feel Reg Ashton is going to need a substantially more engaging and inspiring leitmotif.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Eabhal said:

Just on the dinosaurs and Forbes thing - there are literal dinosaur footprints on Skye, in her constituency.

If I were an enterprising journalist, I'd be doing a piece to camera from there this morning.

• Options
    Sandpit said:

Kate Forbes is a social, economic and fiscal conservative. She is only in the SNP because she believes in Scottish independence. The SNP is a nationalist party, not a left-of-centre one.

The events of yesterday suggest that they’re very much now a left-of-centre party, with seemingly little room for anyone who’s socially conservative.
    You think the wittering of some Sturgeon supporters bricking it because they have Useless as their champion and the bent unionist media reflects the opinion of the public. Her biggest issue is who is counting the votes.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    HYUFD said:

By contrast in 1959 only 45% would vote for an atheist

'Oct 1959: If the party of your choice nominated a generally well-qualified person as parliamentary candidate, would you vote for him/her if he/she were one of the following?
    Roman Catholic 82% Yes
    Woman 76%
    Jew 71%
    Coloured person 61%
    Atheist 45%'

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1627617259932860417?s=20

Srill true in parts of the US, I think. A friend from Alabama deeply envies British culture for our indifference to the atheism of politicians. That said, I'm not sure how he'd feel about freedom to be very religious.

For those of us who like to think we have small-l liberal values, it's tricky territory to navigate. I feel that if Forbes keeps her religion entirely separate from her policies, then I don't care what she believes in - it is literally none of our business. But with the militantly assertive religions, I'm not sure it's actually possible to be a sincere member and not have it influence your policies as a politician? Say the incident with the freedom of a baker to refuse to bake a cake for a gay couple came up in Scotland and she had to take a view. How could she not be influenced by being dubious about gay couples?

So, while respecting her honesty and her right to belief, I do think it's a genuine snag to being a national leader. By contrast, Hinduism has some odd beliefs, but in its British form it doesn't seem especially insistent on its followers pushing its teachings in every sphere. Humza will escape serious criticism on that count unless he can be found saying "As a Hindu, I have to oppose..."
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

You need to remember that the Stone of Scone on which the unionists get so excited was actually a mediaeval drain manhole cover foisted off on Edward Longshanks.

Could do worse as a reminder of government priorities, I've always thought. It also explains why the Scots were so meh when the Tories got all excited about deigning to return it to Scotland. Never forgotten the Satrap in State trailing behind the hearse up the High Street in Edinburgh with the crowds silent except for the odd sarcastic remark or boo.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,171

What we are currently discovering is just how good a leader of the SNP Nicola Sturgeon has been. Of course, that is very different to saying she has been a good First Minister.

I agree ... except a good leader has thought about succession planning.

Sturgeon was truly exceptional as a leader of a political party.
    Can we plan Drakeford's succession. I have Andy Davies in mind!
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Then the Serpentarium in Broadford, close ups of snakes followed by an interview of the people trying to undermine her from the Sturgeon camp.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Angus Robertson most recently matched at 14 on Betfair.

Suggests at least someone thinks there is still a chance he may stand.

Will he chance the skeletons being revealed, dangerous.
  • Options
    eek said:

ydoethur said:

Kate Forbes has decided that if she's going to stand for leader she's going to do so on her own terms and be who she is - and nothing else.

Whatever you think of your views, I think at some level you have to respect that.

Shall I tell you how bad Kate Forbes is?

If I lived in Scotland and she was SNP leader.

I would have to consider voting Labour.

She is that bad.
    So, given your judgement of leaders included endorsements of Johnson and Corbyn, we should assume she’s actually pretty good?
    I also thought big John owls was a Labour supporter because there is no other left wing option (in England / Wales) that reflects his views.

In Scotland the SNP has until now managed to occupy a left wing position that probably gave them a lot of Scottish Labour votes. It’s very easy to see many of them returning to Labour if any reason existed for them tp do so (either a non left wing SN- leader or a more appealing Scottish Labour Party.
    While they have a millionaire , minimum wage paying , useless London sockpuppet as leader they are going nowhere.
  • Options

Kate Forbes has decided that if she's going to stand for leader she's going to do so on her own terms and be who she is - and nothing else.

Whatever you think of your views, I think at some level you have to respect that.

She is that bad.
    If your granny had baws she would be your grandpa as well
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    malcolmg said:

She is that bad.
    So far this morning I have had to google "baws" and "cilice".

I really must get some work done.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836

HYUFD said:

'Oct 1959: If the party of your choice nominated a generally well-qualified person as parliamentary candidate, would you vote for him/her if he/she were one of the following?
    Roman Catholic 82% Yes
    Woman 76%
    Jew 71%
    Coloured person 61%
    Atheist 45%'

Srill true in parts of the US, I think. A friend from Alabama deeply envies British culture for our indifference to the atheism of politicians. That said, I'm not sure how he'd feel about freedom to be very religious.

For those of us who like to think we have small-l liberal values, it's tricky territory to navigate. I feel that if Forbes keeps her religion entirely separate from her policies, then I don't care what she believes in - it is literally none of our business. But with the militantly assertive religions, I'm not sure it's actually possible to be a sincere member and not have it influence your policies as a politician? Say the incident with the freedom of a baker to refuse to bake a cake for a gay couple came up in Scotland and she had to take a view. How could she not be influenced by being dubious about gay couples?

So, while respecting her honesty and her right to belief, I do think it's a genuine snag to being a national leader. By contrast, Hinduism has some odd beliefs, but in its British form it doesn't seem especially insistent on its followers pushing its teachings in every sphere. Humza will escape serious criticism on that count unless he can be found saying "As a Hindu, I have to oppose..."
    The Ashers Bakery case was an issue more of free speech, rather than gay rights. Ultimately, that is how Lady Hale ruled on the case.

But, no doubt there would be tricky issues for Kate Forbes as FM.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@euanmccolm: John Swinney torpedoes Kate Forbes’s campaign on Radio Scotland. Says her views are not about faith - he is a man o… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1628308931410817024

Another usless lying numpty. Sturgeon has done a real number on Scotland.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

She is that bad.
    What about if she self id'ed as your grandpa?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Dura_Ace said:

You need to remember that the Stone of Scone on which the unionists get so excited was actually a mediaeval drain manhole cover foisted off on Edward Longshanks.

Could do worse as a reminder of government priorities, I've always thought. It also explains why the Scots were so meh when the Tories got all excited about deigning to return it to Scotland. Never forgotten the Satrap in State trailing behind the hearse up the High Street in Edinburgh with the crowds silent except for the odd sarcastic remark or boo.

That's quite funny. I didn't realise they'd pulled one over on Edward I.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

To be fair, that's a reasonable programme. Not that I think Scotland would enjoy the reality of independence, but the third point is sound in constitutional theory. She's right about the roads. The first point is fair enough as long as she's also thought about how to manage the transition when the oil runs out, which may not be that far away.

She may have crazy stuff, like hanging all Welshmen in the Highlands, to come out but I don't see how anyone could take serious issue with the published stuff.

Edited because I didn't want people to think I have no issue with hanging Welshmen...
    Is there somewhere else you prefer ?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Third! The interesting part of the graph is the movement over the last month when there hasn’t been a particular issue to move the graph.
    Edit; not third.

Yes, surely there is. Food, leccy, inflation, under inflation pay rises, the after-Christmas deficit, and all that.
    And today the Government is proposing a 3.5% pay rise for millions working for a living, while inflation is over 10%.

And yet they have enough money to give a 10% pay rise to those who are not working for a living.

Don't have to be very interested in politics to see a problem with that.
    It looks like there might be some movement on the nurses at least. But that will still leave a lot of very sensitive groups in education, junior doctors, trains (because of their effect on so many others) etc. Again, Sunak needs to put himself out front and find agreements, not hide behind pay boards.
    I think the "independent" pay boards have effectively collapsed. The NHS staff unions are not engaging with a fixed process that works to government rules. Want no strikes? Then must have payboards out of government control with staffside representatives.
    Yes, I think that system has run out of road.
    Like in the real world they should give them all inflation increases based on productivity , clear out of dross and sack the bottom 10% performers. That si what happens in the real world where money does not grow on trees.
    But how would you survive Malc?
    Given I am in top ten percent and earn as much as consultants I think I could manage. I would continue to buy the M&S tomato soup in single cans at the now much increased price of 65p. Worst case I could sleep in my Porsche.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,432
    Eabhal said:

Dinosaurs? She didn't actually go there did she?

For all that I think she's scuppered her chances, I'd be sad if she dropped out. It might be that the membership as a whole want Forbes and they should get their say.

(Perfectly within her rights to withdraw, of course, but it would be a shame, I think.)
  • Options

Off Topic

I see the pensions website on gov.uk is still down. Martin Lewis has a helluva following.

Likely it is down to loading the inflation busting pension increases, Bart will be having an apoplectic fit , will be on ranting shortly.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,121
    DougSeal said:

Sandpit said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Port Moresby nearly impossible to reach. Maybe one of the Stans? Uzbekistan

Which parts of the Middle East have you been to? Jordan is supposed to be fun if you haven’t been.
    Done Jordan. I’ve done Jordan so much I have slept in a car park in Amman. True story
    Didn’t know we were both car park aficionados! Love a good car park me. I am only four away from parking in every NCP car park in Kent for at least two hours. The wife’s going to make me a nice steak as a reward when I’ve done them all. At the moment, though, there’s an argument about the Medway Unitary Authority. Does that count as Kent for these purposes? I say not but the wife insists it does and won’t buy the steak unless I park in all the NCPs in Chatham, Rochester and Gillingham. Personally I think it’s unfair - what next? Are we going to repeal the 1964 changes meaning I have to do Bromley and Bexley too? I think that would be unreasonable.

Admire you for doing Jordan though. How many car parks are there in Amman?
    There are car parks in Amman? Last time I was there, cars were simply abandoned outside the destination, with little regard to whether they were double or even triple parked, nor whether they were blocking a main road full of traffic. It’s the only place I’ve ever been, where I didn’t want to drive. I ended up going around in the back of my customer’s rather nice S-Class. He didn’t like to drive either!
    Leon said he slept in one. Nothing Leon says ever proves to be incorrect. Which is why you and I are the only two people left on Earth, eating insects in an post nuclear irradiated wasteland, cowering from super Covid infected AI bots, but at least Liz Truss surprised on the upside.
    It's a true story. As are nearly all of my stories, if not all

I've had such a mad quirky life I have no need to make up shit

Story: I ended up in Amman, for various reasons, with no money but I did have a plane ticket out, to London. However when I got to Amman airport it turned out there was an exit visa. I had no cash for the exit visa. None. No cards. nothing. And no means of getting it quickly, either

In end I hitch hiked back to central Amman, and bedded down for the night on some old tarpaulins in what appeared to be a fairly unused car park. It was Amman, it was warm, I wasn't going to die. I actually slept quite well

I was however surprised when I woke up and heard a massive hubbub, I threw off the tarpaulin and realised I was sleeping in Amman's main weekend market, and I was surrounded by stall holders who looked at me astonished as I emerged from the tarps. And sauntered off

I hitch hiked back to the airport where a kindly American lady took such pity on me she simply gave me the exit visa (it was only about $50?), and thus I got home on the next available flight

Frankly, this is nothing compared to many other much madder border crossings I have done (or failed to do)

Crossing war torn Yugoslavia was an adventure

• Options
    edited February 2023
    ydoethur said:

To be fair, that's a reasonable programme. Not that I think Scotland would enjoy the reality of independence, but the third point is sound in constitutional theory. She's right about the roads. The first point is fair enough as long as she's also thought about how to manage the transition when the oil runs out, which may not be that far away.

She may have crazy stuff, like hanging all Welshmen in the Highlands, to come out but I don't see how anyone could take serious issue with the published stuff.

Edited because I didn't want people to think I have no issue with hanging Welshmen...
    Is that transporting all Welshmen to the Highlands for hanging? Or hanging Welshmen present in the Highlands?

I was starting to think Ashten seemed like the sane choice, but with either of those policies I fear I have to withdraw my support. :wink:

ETA: Although, of course, I might still be willing to serve in her cabinet.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,893
    Apparently Putin tried to test launch a nuclear-capable intercontinental missile while Biden was in Ukraine - but it failed to go off.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/02/22/russia-ukraine-war-latest-news-putin-biden-treaty-nato/

The Ukranians have also got their hands on something new, hitting a large Russian ammo dump last night that would have been out of range of HIMARS.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Can someone please clarify the SNP rules?

I thought it was a straight membership vote, but Wiki says " ... candidates must have the nomination of at least 100 members, from at least 20 branches".

What does this mean? Have the three declared candidates already secured this first hurdle of nomination?

It is rigged
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,376
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

malcolmg said:

Wow!

Quite. Interesting to see how many PBers fell for that straight off.
    Who fell for what exactly?

We are just sitting back watching the clownshow, as Candidate A hits herself in the face with a cake full of cuttlefish-spunk, and then Candidate B gets attacked by a dwarf dressed as a Zoroastrian donkey, and candidate C rules themselves out because they have 9 million quid resting in their Icelandic Tartan Bond ISA account, a fact known to Candidate D who is actually the ghost of Alex Salmond, living in Bermuda
    No one has asked the candidates the vital question -

Wearing mixed cloth - is it heresy?

Tartan manufacturers through the land, paralysed with fear that their products will be labelled Unclean....
  • Options
    Stocky said:

malcolmg said:

She is that bad.

Gained knowledge must count towards your CPD quota for the year?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,927
    Carnyx said:

Never forgotten the Satrap in State trailing behind the hearse up the High Street in Edinburgh with the crowds silent except for the odd sarcastic remark or boo.

While it was sitting in the Great Hall at the Castle waiting for the ceremony to begin one of the BBC Cameramen sat on it
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Apparently Putin tried to test launch a nuclear-capable intercontinental missile while Biden was in Ukraine - but it failed to go off.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/02/22/russia-ukraine-war-latest-news-putin-biden-treaty-nato/

The Ukranians have also got their hands on something new, hitting a large Russian ammo dump last night that would have been out of range of HIMARS.

Launching the missile at the same time as his speech, and failing....

His Mighty Weapon didn't work?

https://youtu.be/Yh6kbQnOAg4?t=30
  • Options
    Cadets at the Moscow Police College have reported an attempt to forcibly mobilise them en masse under false pretences. They say they were locked in a hall while attempts were made to get them to sign up to join the army. They had to call the police to be released.
    https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1628319092645015554
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

She is that bad.
    In that eventuality, would it still hold that ye cannae shove yer granny aff a bus?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

malcolmg said:

She is that bad.

It is educational on here at times Stocky, unfortunately not always for the better.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

They seem to be very good at lashing things together and making them work well.
  • Options
    A Wealthy ‘Anti-Woke’ Activist Joins the 2024 Presidential Field
    Vivek Ramaswamy, 37, has made a name for himself in right-wing circles by opposing corporate efforts to advance political, social and environmental causes.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/21/us/politics/vivek-ramaswamy-presidential-candidate-2024.html
  • Options

Monkeys said:

That'll help.....

The U.K.’s equalities minister, Kemi Badenoch, launched a full-throated defense of under-fire Scottish National Party leadership hopeful Kate Forbes amid a bitter row over same-sex marriage....

.... Badenoch told a POLITICO event in London Tuesday night that she would defend the right of Forbes to hold those views, and refused to condemn her comments in her role as equalities minister.

“I think that is sad because I believe in freedom of conscience,” she said of the backlash. “That’s one of the things that makes this country great. It’s one of the reasons why many people want to live here.”...

“It’d be very easy for her to tell lies, just so that she could win that election,” Badenoch said of Forbes. “And she’s not doing that, and I think that that’s something that people need to take into account.”

Badenoch also condemned SNP politicians who have yanked their support from the under-fire contender. Shelved endorsements of Forbes, she argued, show “the level of un-seriousness of many of the people who engage in political activity and commentary.”

https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-equalities-minister-kemi-badenoch-defends-under-fire-snp-hopeful-kemi-badenoch-faith-conservative-party-free-church-scotland/

I mean, she’s not wrong. Kate Forbes is totally free to believe what she wants to believe. And people are totally free to make their own minds up on whether they think she should be FM and hold those beliefs.
    Surprised (pleasantly) by that from Badenoch.

Telling lies would, indeed have been easy.

The backers claiming that they didn’t know is risible.
    The issue isn't lies versus truth. The issue is one of professionalism.

Freedom of conscience is very important and everyone is free to hold whatever religious or non-religious beliefs they choose, in the privacy of their own home and their own Church etc. But when you go to work, especially as a politician or in the legal sphere etc you should be professional enough to check your personal religion at the door and not let it dominate. So long as you are prepared to have your own beliefs, but accept that others have their own beliefs that may be very different, then people are free to choose and there's no need for religion and politics to mix. Forbes could be ultra-orthodox and I wouldn't give a damn, if she was able to keep her religion and politics separate but she has been unable to do so.

Religion is like a penis. Its OK to have one, its OK to be proud of it, and its OK to exercise it however you want with other consenting adults, even in ways other people find weird. But don't take it out and put it on display in the workplace, and whatever you do don't try and shove it down other people's throats against their will.
    She just said what she thought. I know that's naïve, that we really don't want politicians saying what they think. It's about our judgement of character, and the more they lie about themselves the better we think their character is.
    And what she thinks shows she is unsuitable for high office. What she said shows she thinks that as a politician, her own morals and judging others for being sinners, is appropriate. It is not.

If you want to spread your morals, then go into the clergy. If you go into politics, then your job is to represent all people of all religions and none, not your own, just as Yousaf did - while being completely open and honest in doing so. If asked a question, you should be professional enough to not put yourself and your own faith ahead of everyone else's. She isn't. She is unsuited for office and should be rejected.
    You're pretending that your stupid rules are somehow consistent, when they're clearly anything but. Forbes is entitled not only to have whatever views and moral code she chooses, but also to let those views and moral code to inform her political decisions. To suggest otherwise is the most absurdly Stalinist thing from someone pertaining to be liberal that I've ever heard.
    Don't be stupid.

There should be no law against Forbes selfishly allowing her private beliefs to shape what she thinks the law should be.

There equally is no law, nor any problem, in the majority of people like myself who don't share her beliefs [and even many who do share her beliefs but oppose her making those beliefs political] to think that her enforcing her views on others is problematic and should be opposed.

Indeed opposing one person trying to force their personal beliefs onto everyone else via the law isn't illiberal, its pretty much the definition of liberalism. I do not want a law forcing my views onto Forbes, Forbes can not say the same, that is why she is not fit for office, and that is a perfectly liberal answer.
    You're tying yourself in knots. There's nothing 'selfish' about Forbes pursuing policies dictated by her beliefs - in actuality she has not done that, but if she were to do so, that would be in line with every other politician (or in an ideal world it would be).

Of course those opposed to her beliefs also have the right to campaign for their own vision and beliefs, and if they're in the majority, to prevail, but you cannot say there is no 'forcing of beliefs' because that is not the case - Churches being compelled to solemnise gay marriages is one incidence of a belief in gay marriage being forced upon those who don't believe it.

Your argument that Forbes should be disapproved of or drummed out of politics for her traditional Christian beliefs (which by the way have not even lead her to campaign against any of the reforms you support) is totally inconsistent with any form of liberalism, and it would be a pleasant surprise if you had the humility and strength of character to acknowledge the fact.
    You really don't get it do you? I don't have a problem with Forbes having her own 'traditional Christian beliefs', if she keeps them to herself, or in her Church.

I do have a problem with Forbes expressing such beliefs as a politician, when a politician is to represent all beliefs, not her own.

To be perfectly frank, I personally don't like Yousaf's religion [I don't like any organised religion], but when asked about it he gave a very appropriate answer about the difference between religion and politics. That to me means, that regardless of his religion, there's no reason why his religion should disqualify him from politics.

If he's prepared to keep religion and politics separate, then he can keep privately whatever beliefs he wants. Even those I dislike. That's liberalism. That's what Forbes failed to do.
    Why should Kate Forbes keep her views to herself, or only utter them within a Church setting? Is that some new form of free speech I'm not familiar with?

Plenty of people wouldn't like a lot of your loopy beliefs, that you came by from your Mum and Dad, watching Marvel films, reading comics, or whatever else your formative experiences were, but the fact is that you're entitled to have them, and entitled to campaign on them if you so wish. Because you have an issue with organised religion, you put views derived religiously into some sort of arbitrary second class category, and philsophically, that's a complete pile of horse testicles.

Humza Yousaf is fine to adopt his attitude to his religion, Kate Forbes is entitled to adopt her attitude (to be honest they don't seem that different to me - they were both happy to be part of the SNP/Green high command), and someone like Ann Widdecombe who campaigns strongly on her traditional beliefs is also fine. It's all democracy, and it's all fine.
    Why should she separate her politics from her religion?

Because she's a politician seeking to be elected in a secular society and people will quite appropriately vote against her if she's incapable of doing so.

There is no ban on her expressing whatever views she wants, just as there's no ban on myself and most others finding such views unacceptable and voting accordingly. That too is democracy, and it too is all fine.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

They seem to be very good at lashing things together and making them work well.
    Ukraine inherited quite a chunk of the USSR aerospace industry. Especially missiles. One reason that Russia has run out of various weapons is that they were made in Ukraine or important parts, such as engines, were.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Selebian said:

Eabhal said:

For all that I think she's scuppered her chances, I'd be sad if she dropped out. It might be that the membership as a whole want Forbes and they should get their say.

(Perfectly within her rights to withdraw, of course, but it would be a shame, I think.)
    Yes, it'll be interesting to see how she does with the members.

Which PBers are members btw? Do we have many? Who are they voting for?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989

HYUFD said:

Roman Catholic 82% Yes
    Woman 76%
    Jew 71%
    Coloured person 61%
    Atheist 45%'

Humza is Muslim though not Hindu
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

Can someone please clarify the SNP rules?

I thought it was a straight membership vote, but Wiki says " ... candidates must have the nomination of at least 100 members, from at least 20 branches".

What does this mean? Have the three declared candidates already secured this first hurdle of nomination?

It is rigged
    Worth noting the SNP haven't had a leadership election since 2004? And that was basically a walk in for Salmond.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

She is that bad.
    What about if she self id'ed as your grandpa?
    Are you a Starmer acolyte , we all really know the difference, even if he and many others lie about it.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Sean_F said:

Carnyx said:

Dura_Ace said:

That's quite funny. I didn't realise they'd pulled one over on Edward I.
    It's a minority theory with a bunch of logical holes in it.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    I see Hague and Blair think they can transform the economy.
    The ideas aren’t wrong, but whether this gets any traction is questionable. And it does prompt the question of why they didn’t have such revelations when active politicians.

A New National Purpose: Innovation Can Power the Future of Britain
    https://institute.global/policy/new-national-purpose-innovation-can-power-future-britain
  • Options
    Selebian said:

malcolmg said:

She is that bad.
    In that eventuality, would it still hold that ye cannae shove yer granny aff a bus?
    Only a Tory would do that in any event
  • Options
    TheKitchenCabinetTheKitchenCabinet Posts: 2,275
    edited February 2023

Monkeys said:

That'll help.....

The U.K.’s equalities minister, Kemi Badenoch, launched a full-throated defense of under-fire Scottish National Party leadership hopeful Kate Forbes amid a bitter row over same-sex marriage....

.... Badenoch told a POLITICO event in London Tuesday night that she would defend the right of Forbes to hold those views, and refused to condemn her comments in her role as equalities minister.

“I think that is sad because I believe in freedom of conscience,” she said of the backlash. “That’s one of the things that makes this country great. It’s one of the reasons why many people want to live here.”...

“It’d be very easy for her to tell lies, just so that she could win that election,” Badenoch said of Forbes. “And she’s not doing that, and I think that that’s something that people need to take into account.”

Badenoch also condemned SNP politicians who have yanked their support from the under-fire contender. Shelved endorsements of Forbes, she argued, show “the level of un-seriousness of many of the people who engage in political activity and commentary.”

https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-equalities-minister-kemi-badenoch-defends-under-fire-snp-hopeful-kemi-badenoch-faith-conservative-party-free-church-scotland/

I mean, she’s not wrong. Kate Forbes is totally free to believe what she wants to believe. And people are totally free to make their own minds up on whether they think she should be FM and hold those beliefs.

Freedom of conscience is very important and everyone is free to hold whatever religious or non-religious beliefs they choose, in the privacy of their own home and their own Church etc. But when you go to work, especially as a politician or in the legal sphere etc you should be professional enough to check your personal religion at the door and not let it dominate. So long as you are prepared to have your own beliefs, but accept that others have their own beliefs that may be very different, then people are free to choose and there's no need for religion and politics to mix. Forbes could be ultra-orthodox and I wouldn't give a damn, if she was able to keep her religion and politics separate but she has been unable to do so.

Religion is like a penis. Its OK to have one, its OK to be proud of it, and its OK to exercise it however you want with other consenting adults, even in ways other people find weird. But don't take it out and put it on display in the workplace, and whatever you do don't try and shove it down other people's throats against their will.
    She just said what she thought. I know that's naïve, that we really don't want politicians saying what they think. It's about our judgement of character, and the more they lie about themselves the better we think their character is.
    And what she thinks shows she is unsuitable for high office. What she said shows she thinks that as a politician, her own morals and judging others for being sinners, is appropriate. It is not.

If you want to spread your morals, then go into the clergy. If you go into politics, then your job is to represent all people of all religions and none, not your own, just as Yousaf did - while being completely open and honest in doing so. If asked a question, you should be professional enough to not put yourself and your own faith ahead of everyone else's. She isn't. She is unsuited for office and should be rejected.
    You're pretending that your stupid rules are somehow consistent, when they're clearly anything but. Forbes is entitled not only to have whatever views and moral code she chooses, but also to let those views and moral code to inform her political decisions. To suggest otherwise is the most absurdly Stalinist thing from someone pertaining to be liberal that I've ever heard.
    Don't be stupid.

There should be no law against Forbes selfishly allowing her private beliefs to shape what she thinks the law should be.

There equally is no law, nor any problem, in the majority of people like myself who don't share her beliefs [and even many who do share her beliefs but oppose her making those beliefs political] to think that her enforcing her views on others is problematic and should be opposed.

Indeed opposing one person trying to force their personal beliefs onto everyone else via the law isn't illiberal, its pretty much the definition of liberalism. I do not want a law forcing my views onto Forbes, Forbes can not say the same, that is why she is not fit for office, and that is a perfectly liberal answer.
    You're tying yourself in knots. There's nothing 'selfish' about Forbes pursuing policies dictated by her beliefs - in actuality she has not done that, but if she were to do so, that would be in line with every other politician (or in an ideal world it would be).

Of course those opposed to her beliefs also have the right to campaign for their own vision and beliefs, and if they're in the majority, to prevail, but you cannot say there is no 'forcing of beliefs' because that is not the case - Churches being compelled to solemnise gay marriages is one incidence of a belief in gay marriage being forced upon those who don't believe it.

Your argument that Forbes should be disapproved of or drummed out of politics for her traditional Christian beliefs (which by the way have not even lead her to campaign against any of the reforms you support) is totally inconsistent with any form of liberalism, and it would be a pleasant surprise if you had the humility and strength of character to acknowledge the fact.
    You really don't get it do you? I don't have a problem with Forbes having her own 'traditional Christian beliefs', if she keeps them to herself, or in her Church.

I do have a problem with Forbes expressing such beliefs as a politician, when a politician is to represent all beliefs, not her own.

To be perfectly frank, I personally don't like Yousaf's religion [I don't like any organised religion], but when asked about it he gave a very appropriate answer about the difference between religion and politics. That to me means, that regardless of his religion, there's no reason why his religion should disqualify him from politics.

If he's prepared to keep religion and politics separate, then he can keep privately whatever beliefs he wants. Even those I dislike. That's liberalism. That's what Forbes failed to do.
    Why should Kate Forbes keep her views to herself, or only utter them within a Church setting? Is that some new form of free speech I'm not familiar with?

Plenty of people wouldn't like a lot of your loopy beliefs, that you came by from your Mum and Dad, watching Marvel films, reading comics, or whatever else your formative experiences were, but the fact is that you're entitled to have them, and entitled to campaign on them if you so wish. Because you have an issue with organised religion, you put views derived religiously into some sort of arbitrary second class category, and philsophically, that's a complete pile of horse testicles.

Humza Yousaf is fine to adopt his attitude to his religion, Kate Forbes is entitled to adopt her attitude (to be honest they don't seem that different to me - they were both happy to be part of the SNP/Green high command), and someone like Ann Widdecombe who campaigns strongly on her traditional beliefs is also fine. It's all democracy, and it's all fine.

Because she's a politician seeking to be elected in a secular society and people will quite appropriately vote against her if she's incapable of doing so.

There is no ban on her expressing whatever views she wants, just as there's no ban on myself and most others finding such views unacceptable and voting accordingly. That too is democracy, and it too is all fine.
    You are trying to twist out of LuckyGuy's point. Sure, you are saying there is no ban on her expressing her views but you are saying there should be a ban on her holding political power. That is a different standard to what you apply to yourself.

We are also not a secular society. Yes, we don't go to the Church and plenty of people are happy to say they are atheist or agnostic. However, our values are very much based on the Judaeo-Christian system and religion runs through the centre of the way that we think about our politics and how they should be conducted.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

@euanmccolm: John Swinney torpedoes Kate Forbes’s campaign on Radio Scotland. Says her views are not about faith - he is a man o… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1628308931410817024

So I presume he was AOK with her as Finance minister?

Given that power in government is from the money - a Finance minister has serious control over policy.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Selebian said:

Eabhal said:

Yes, it'll be interesting to see how she does with the members.

Which PBers are members btw? Do we have many? Who are they voting for?
    Imagine Stuart , TUD and Fairlie and likely some lurkers and others who do not broadcast as Scottish.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

So I presume he was AOK with her as Finance minister?

Given that power in government is from the money - a Finance minister has serious control over policy.
    They were all just puppets of the Wicked Witch
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Roman Catholic 82% Yes
    Woman 76%
    Jew 71%
    Coloured person 61%
    Atheist 45%'

Humza is Muslim though not Hindu
    Which is why I suspect the brand new “Muslim Council of U.K.” was brought into being - so it didn’t come across as “Hindu vs Muslim”.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,893
    edited February 2023
    Nigelb said:

The ideas aren’t wrong, but whether this gets any traction is questionable. And it does prompt the question of why they didn’t have such revelations when active politicians.

https://institute.global/policy/new-national-purpose-innovation-can-power-future-britain

That’s an awful lot of words to say that they basically think China is brilliant, and they want to emulate China in the UK, starting with the “Digital ID” and working from there. Klaus Schwab would be proud of their political nous, to dance around the questions of privacy and personal autonomy.

They didn’t do this when they were active politicians, because they knew they’d be kicked out of office the minute they tried it.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,981

HYUFD said:

Aside from saying that Forbes honest was something to admire, she pointed out that condemning people’s religiously inspired beliefs actually goes against one of the specific roles of an Equality Minister in the U.K.

I could compile a list of religions that have issues with the modern liberal world. The short version is that if you want to go to war with them, you would be going to war with quite a few immigrants.
    I don’t want to go to war with them.

I just don’t think blaming one’s bigotry on one’s superstitions is admirable.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

Selebian said:

malcolmg said:

She is that bad.
    That would imply a Tory being on a bus. I find that hard to believe.
  • Options

Monkeys said:

That'll help.....

Don't be stupid.

You are trying to twist out of LuckyGuy's point. Sure, you are saying there is no ban on her expressing her views but you are saying there should be a ban on her holding political power. That is a different standard to what you apply to yourself.

We are also not a secular society. Yes, we don't go to the Church and plenty of people are happy to say they are atheist or agnostic. However, our values are very much based on the Judaeo-Christian system and religion runs through the centre of the way that we think about our politics and how they should be conducted.

Nope.
    No one suggested a ‘ban’ - that’s her supporters’ spin - just said that they wouldn’t vote for her as leader, and that it seems possible that a majority if SNP members won’t either.

And most are opining it’s quite likely she’ll get a ministerial post if not elected leader.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Vivek Ramaswamy, 37, has made a name for himself in right-wing circles by opposing corporate efforts to advance political, social and environmental causes.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/21/us/politics/vivek-ramaswamy-presidential-candidate-2024.html

Only a matter of time before he has that vital Muslim Council of the UK endorsement.
  • Options

Monkeys said:

That'll help.....

Don't be stupid.

I never said there should be a ban on her holding political power. In fact I have repeatedly and explicitly said there should be no ban.

What I have said is that people should vote against her. That's democracy, and if the people I support lose the vote then I would accept that, democratically.

We absolutely are a secular society. Our values have evolved from the Ancient Greeks and Romans onwards, hence some similarities to Judeo-Christianity as it evolved from the same origins too. Our values are constantly evolving and not stuck to a single book or era.

If you want to be a traditional Christian, or traditional anything else, you are perfectly entitled to do so. And you are perfectly entitled to seek office. And if you can keep your politics and religion separate, then I wouldn't hold it against you when casting my ballot, but if you can't, I'm entitled to my own beliefs just as you are.
  • Options
    Thread:

NI Protocol update: I understand the deal was basically done last weekend, all the technical stuff included (give or take a few loose ends with text).

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1628328544282505219?s=20
  • Options
    Selebian said:

malcolmg said:

Selebian said:

malcolmg said:

She is that bad.
    That would imply a Tory being on a bus. I find that hard to believe.
    Touche , they would have had a lackey do it of course
  • Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 595
    Leon said:

I’m so bored I might go to Manila. Has anyone here ever been to Manila?

I hear it’s an absolute shit hole but at least it wouid. be different and interestingly violent

Much of Manila is a squalid Shithole. But you will be ok in Makati or in the Casino district near the airport. There are plenty of 4* and 5* hotels and plenty of freelance girls everywhere. Padre Burgos Street is where things get raunchy. If you are feeling brave (get yourself a personal driver) take an hours drive south to Tagaytay and Taal Volcano.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Wow!

To quote perhaps the greatest Scotsman of them all, this is like watching men committing suicide.
    Who is the greatest Scotsman of them all?

I checked the Collected Papers of James Clerk Maxwell, but I could not find this.
    'Frazer! James Frazer! Spelled B A S T A R D.'

(In the episode 'The Test.' The latter quote is from 'A Wilson (Manager)?')
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA9otMcXpWQ&t=445s
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

That’s an awful lot of words to say that they basically think China is brilliant, and they want to emulate China in the UK, starting with the “Digital ID” and working from there. Klaus Schwab would be proud of their political nous, to dance around the questions of privacy and personal autonomy.

They didn’t do this when they were active politicians, because they knew they’d be kicked out of office the minute they tried it.
    At a time when China’s economic performance is becoming distinctly mediocre.

• Options
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

It’s not really that - though you get the strong impression they don’t really understand what they are writing about.
    And actually what distinguishes all the big tech powers from us is that they are countries which have a focus on advanced manufacturing. Something which we do only fitfully.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Only a matter of time before he has that vital Muslim Council of the UK endorsement.
    If nothing else, it will bump up the cost of advertising in the early primary states.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,404
    edited February 2023
    After much consideration, I have decided to enter the SNP leadership contest.

I will absolutely unite the SNP under my leadership.

I've even bought some new shoes for my leadership launch event.

• Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,971

Thread:

NI Protocol update: I understand the deal was basically done last weekend, all the technical stuff included (give or take a few loose ends with text).

If true, Sunak is due some credit for clearing up the shit left behind by Johnson.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,528
    edited February 2023
    Nigelb said:

algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

No one is opposing her right to worship as she chooses, just opposing her as a prospective FM.

Personally I am quite OK with her views on these things, despite coming from a much more liberal church.

It would be interesting to hear more on her role as Finance Minister, and views on a further Sindyref. I suspect those would be less to the taste of our Wokefinder Generals.
    There is also the question of local politics. Do we ban people with religious views from holding power there? There are plenty of areas where allowing religious beliefs to influence politics has a very real effect e.g. education, social services etc.

@Malmesbury's point is an interesting one though. If you take the reaction against Forbes, we essentially would be saying a fair good percentage of the immigrant population would effectively be disbarred from being in charge.

You seem to have missed my point. Despite disagreeing with her views, I am quite OK about Kate Fobes as a national politician.

I have no problem with similar views expressed by African Christians or Asian Muslims either.

All these views are fine as long as people respect the law and do not try to legislate their morality onto other people.
    It isn't possible to keep belief, politics, morality, legislation, secularity, religion, worldview all is separate boxes.

Religion is merely a subsample of 'beliefs' generally. Certainty is so elusive that most of what we think are beliefs…
    ..Gay marriage is similar. Some people (a minority at the moment which Forbes and I are both in though we probably differ about most things) think that marriage is better defined such that it is only between one man and one woman, and that is objectively better for society. Genuine beliefs differ. Gosh. Fancy that.

If certainty is so elusive, how do you believe such a thing (which seems pretty daft to me, FWIW) objectively ?
    Simples. It is a belief of mine that the physical world exists beyond my own mind and experience. It still exists even if I don't. Notoriously this is not provable to everyone's satisfaction (see Descartes, Berkeley, Hume, Kant's first critique etc) though it is the Common Sense view of the world (eg the much ignored Scottish philosopher Thomas Reid and the man in the street).

Like almost everyone else except a small group of solipsists I have beliefs about what is the case in the world even if I were not in it. This is conventionally called 'beliefs about objectivity', or, as in Thomas Nagel's masterpiece 'The View from Nowhere'.

So, torturing children for fun would still be wrong even if I had never existed. I hope you believe the same. When I meet people who don't share this view I hide the children and lock up the spoons.

It is of course the world which is (I believe) objective. Not my beliefs, which of course can't be. And I never said they were.
  • Options

Thread:

What's the point?

The DUP and ERG will rebel, and Starmer will have to clear up this moment.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Wow!

To quote perhaps the greatest Scotsman of them all, this is like watching men committing suicide.
    Who is the greatest Scotsman of them all?

I checked the Collected Papers of James Clerk Maxwell, but I could not find this.
    'Frazer! James Frazer! Spelled B A S T A R D.'

(In the episode 'The Test.' The latter quote is from 'A Wilson (Manager)?')
    I checked The Golden Bough Nothing in there.
  • Options

After much consideration, I have decided to enter the SNP leadership contest.

I will absolutely unite the SNP under my leadership.

I've even bought some new shoes for my leadership launch event.

Understated.
  • Options

Thread:

What's the point?

The DUP hold a veto on Stormont resuming.

If the proposed deal hasn't got them on side, then its not a deal, just as if a proposed deal didn't have Sinn Fein on side.

That's the whole frigging point of the Good Friday Agreement. Either both sides of the divide are happy, or nothing happens.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Shamima Begum blocked from returning to the UK, oh well. Hope we can block all of the other jihadists as well, joining ISIS is a one way trip, no comfortable jail cell and potential to radicalise inmates for them.

I want them all home. Doing life for the war crimes they committed. After conviction in a court, jury etc.
  • Options

Thread:

What's the point?

If the proposed deal hasn't got them on side, then its not a deal, just as if a proposed deal didn't have Sinn Fein on side.

That's the whole frigging point of the Good Friday Agreement. Either both sides of the divide are happy, or nothing happens.
    I have a solution to the impasse.

Hold a referendum in Northern Ireland on the new deal.

Will of the people and all that jazz.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Nigelb said:

algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Simples. It is a belief of mine that the physical world exists beyond my own mind and experience. It still exists even if I don't. Notoriously this is not provable to everyone's satisfaction (see Descartes, Berkeley, Hume, Kant's first critique etc) though it is the Common Sense view of the world (eg the much ignored Scottish philosopher Thomas Reid and the man in the street).

Like almost everyone else except a small group of solipsists I have beliefs about what is the case in the world even if I were not in it. This is conventionally called 'beliefs about objectivity', or, as in Thomas Nagel's masterpiece 'The View from Nowhere'.

So, torturing children for fun would still be wrong even if I had never existed. I hope you believe the same. When I meet people who don't share this view I hide the children and lock up the spoons.
    We’re not discussing that, though.
    You’re talking about a belief in hypotheticals.

What real world evidence we have suggests that gay marriage is a net benefit to society.
    You might believe we’re better without it, but there’s no objective evidence for that.
  • Options
    maxhmaxh Posts: 825
    On topic: there is still so much that can change; not revival of Tories (I think that ship has sailed) but low turnout perhaps. I struggle to believe the Red Wall is back in love with Labour so soon. Corbyn has gone, sure, but I’m still not sure the Labour Party is speaking the language of the average voter. I hope that changes.

FPT: @ping this was excellent-thought provoking and depressing. The point about Putin wanting rid of the oligarchs was new to me and made me think perhaps (a faction within) Russia blew up Nordstream as a way to break the power of the oligarchs in favour of the pivot to the global south that is discussed. Much to consider, thanks for sharing
    maxh said:

ping said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Cheek of Putin, saying he didn't start the war. He invaded Ukraine! Did anyone ask him to do that? No.

The Kaiser suffered similar delusions.

As did the Confederacy.

Aggressors saying ‘it was all the victims’ fault’ is nothing new. Doesn’t just apply to war either.
    Indeed. But this one is pretty clearcut as far as wars go imo. There's usually a bit more 'on the one hand but then again otoh' musing that one can respectably do.
    I broadly agree. The ambiguous question, for me (and for the analysts and strategists, western politicians and, probably ultimately the Ukrainians) is Crimea.

I posted this in the early hours. I’d strongly recommend that the more thoughtful PBers/lurkers give it 45 minutes, or so, of their time;

Interview with Robert Papp (former senior CIA bod) on Russia/Ukraine;

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/odd-lots/id1056200096

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-02-20/one-year-of-war-in-ukraine-former-cia-official-on-russia-s-invasion?srnd=oddlots-podcast

He knows his shit, that guy.

Well worth 45 mins of your time.

He makes some excellent points, including a couple that I’ve raised, cf; The absurd (and totally counterproductive) media / popular backlash against anything Russian / culture / literature etc etc, here in the th West.
    Thanks. Saw that in the early hours, meant to save it and then fell asleep 😴

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,228

Thread:

If true, Sunak is due some credit for clearing up the shit left behind by Johnson.
    Read the full thread. Story seems to be that Sunak is in the process of bottling it, and caving in to the ERG and DUP.
  • Options

Thread:

What's the point?

I have a solution to the impasse.

Hold a referendum in Northern Ireland on the new deal.

Will of the people and all that jazz.
    So you wish to abolish the Good Friday Agreement?

The 'will of the people' doesn't apply in NI, due to the Good Friday Agreement which negotiated that the majority couldn't oppress the minority. Can you confirm you want the Good Friday Agreement to be repealed?
  • Options

Monkeys said:

That'll help.....

Don't be stupid.

I never said there should be a ban on her holding political power. In fact I have repeatedly and explicitly said there should be no ban.

What I have said is that people should vote against her. That's democracy, and if the people I support lose the vote then I would accept that, democratically.

We absolutely are a secular society. Our values have evolved from the Ancient Greeks and Romans onwards, hence some similarities to Judeo-Christianity as it evolved from the same origins too. Our values are constantly evolving and not stuck to a single book or era.

If you want to be a traditional Christian, or traditional anything else, you are perfectly entitled to do so. And you are perfectly entitled to seek office. And if you can keep your politics and religion separate, then I wouldn't hold it against you when casting my ballot, but if you can't, I'm entitled to my own beliefs just as you are.
    Funnily enough, I am not a traditional Christian. Yes, I believe in God and would describe myself as Catholic but haven't been to Church since I was 12 and do not let Catholic teachings dominate my behaviour. It is more of a cultural than religious thing.

I would disagree on your points re our values come from the Greeks and Romans, and not a Judaeo-Christian tradition. A clear example is the Law. We follow Common Law, most of Europe goes for Roman. Roman Law was imposed by Napoleon - who, for all intents and purposes was an atheist and a product of the French Revolution - on these countries to precisely wipe away the influence of the Churches. That did not happen here. Another is our criminal system - the Greek and Roman systems (the latter in particular) centred on punishment, ours has more evolved to Christian concepts such as redemption.

I read your point that you say you don't want a ban but, to me, the words sound like the segregationists in the 1950s Southern states who said, of course, Black people can vote if they want, they just have to run through a gang of police with billy clubs to do so. Oh, and then after that, guess the exact number of jelly beans in that jar over there to be able to have that right. It is a nominal acceptance that such people can stand for office (if only because you realise an actual ban would look very bad) but, to all intents and purposes, your aim is an effective bar on them standing.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Monkeys said:

That'll help.....

Don't be stupid.

Nope.
    No one suggested a ‘ban’ - that’s her supporters’ spin - just said that they wouldn’t vote for her as leader, and that it seems possible that a majority if SNP members won’t either.

And most are opining it’s quite likely she’ll get a ministerial post if not elected leader.
    Just replied to @BartholomewRoberts as to why that argument is nothing but a smokescreen.
  • Options
    If the Welsh do chicken out of playing England on Saturday I think a fair punishment is to kick Wales out of the Six Nations for at least a decade.

Such shithousery from the Welsh must be punished.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,528
    Nigelb said:

algarkirk said:

Nigelb said:

algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

We’re not discussing that, though.
    You’re talking about a belief in hypotheticals.

What real world evidence we have suggests that gay marriage is a net benefit to society.
    You might believe we’re better without it, but there’s no objective evidence for that.
    As for the grounds for thinking that there is a case for confining the concept 'marriage' to one man and one woman, that is a discussion aired here a few days ago including by me. I have no plans to revisit it now thanks. Yes, in the western world at this moment I am in a small minority.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138

If the Welsh do chicken out of playing England on Saturday I think a fair punishment is to kick Wales out of the Six Nations for at least a decade.

Such shithousery from the Welsh must be punished.

I'd be surprised if it happens.
  • Options
    Uhoh.
    Biden leaving until the last moment to decide not to run would be suboptimal for the Democrats.

Bidenworld chatters that Joe may not run
    The president no longer seems absolutely certain to go for a second term, leaving the party, his top aides and potential candidates unsure about ‘24 and very quietly mulling Plans B.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2023/02/22/bidenworld-joe-may-not-run-2024-00083905
  • Options
    maxh said:

On topic: there is still so much that can change; not revival of Tories (I think that ship has sailed) but low turnout perhaps. I struggle to believe the Red Wall is back in love with Labour so soon. Corbyn has gone, sure, but I’m still not sure the Labour Party is speaking the language of the average voter. I hope that changes.

FPT: @ping this was excellent-thought provoking and depressing. The point about Putin wanting rid of the oligarchs was new to me and made me think perhaps (a faction within) Russia blew up Nordstream as a way to break the power of the oligarchs in favour of the pivot to the global south that is discussed. Much to consider, thanks for sharing

maxh said:

ping said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Cheek of Putin, saying he didn't start the war. He invaded Ukraine! Did anyone ask him to do that? No.

The Kaiser suffered similar delusions.

As did the Confederacy.

Aggressors saying ‘it was all the victims’ fault’ is nothing new. Doesn’t just apply to war either.
    Indeed. But this one is pretty clearcut as far as wars go imo. There's usually a bit more 'on the one hand but then again otoh' musing that one can respectably do.
    I broadly agree. The ambiguous question, for me (and for the analysts and strategists, western politicians and, probably ultimately the Ukrainians) is Crimea.

I posted this in the early hours. I’d strongly recommend that the more thoughtful PBers/lurkers give it 45 minutes, or so, of their time;

Interview with Robert Papp (former senior CIA bod) on Russia/Ukraine;

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/odd-lots/id1056200096

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-02-20/one-year-of-war-in-ukraine-former-cia-official-on-russia-s-invasion?srnd=oddlots-podcast

He knows his shit, that guy.

Well worth 45 mins of your time.

He makes some excellent points, including a couple that I’ve raised, cf; The absurd (and totally counterproductive) media / popular backlash against anything Russian / culture / literature etc etc, here in the th West.
    Thanks. Saw that in the early hours, meant to save it and then fell asleep 😴

Putin and the oligarchs is more complex than that - he killed and imprisoned a few, but made the rest his henchmen.

Perhaps because his system is a pyramid of strongmen. If he wiped out all the oligarchs, he would need people to replace them. Who would look remarkably like...

See Ivan the Terrible and the Boyars.

Another thing which didn't really get enough depth in the podcast was the de-modernistion of the Russian Army. The massed combined arms force is now largely infantry and artillery. Aircraft are rare and first the high end armoured vehicles disappeared, now the older stuff is running low. Artillery ammunition is rationed. Classic broken backed warfare, from the literature.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,981
    Wished I'd backed Ashten Regan when she was 100-1. Was it @Northern_Al who did so?
This discussion has been closed.