Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

First post-Sturgeon IndyRef poll sees no change – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,424
    Foxy said:

🚨 Scottish Parliament poll:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

SNP/Greens would have 23-seat majority.

Via @Savanta_UK, 15-17 Feb (+/- vs

https://twitter.com/leftiestats/status/1626665794477207552?s=46&t=5eCF0RfSA41UPWiBriYI8A

I don't like the Scottish Greens a great deal, but it'd be funny if they could squeeze SCon into 4th place at the next Holyrood election.
    14% of the vote is nothing to sneeze at. That must be by far the strongest Green vote across the UK.

Only thing to compare it to would be the 14.5% across the UK achieved by the Greens at the 1989 European elections, with which they won exactly zero seats.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,823
    edited February 2023

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

https://twitter.com/leftiestats/status/1626665794477207552?s=46&t=5eCF0RfSA41UPWiBriYI8A

I don't like the Scottish Greens a great deal, but it'd be funny if they could squeeze SCon into 4th place at the next Holyrood election.
    14% of the vote is nothing to sneeze at. That must be by far the strongest Green vote across the UK.

Lots of pro-independence voters give their second vote to the Greens.
    Hence the difference between constituency and list polling for Holyrood.

Clearly the SG are not toxic to a lot of voters.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

Having the Sindy string to their bow has to be of help I assume. In rUK they only have environmentalism (which all the big parties are getting into) and far leftism.
    No point voting Green in England even if you want to, at least in a GE. Wasted vote. So the English Green vote is down for that reason.
    The voters of Brighton Pavilion and Bristol West might disagree.

I expect the English Green vote to be up next week too thanks to Corbynites defecting from Labour after his deselection
    I don't think you've made the point you think you have. You're highlighting some of the few areas where they really put in a lot of effort.

Unlike UKIP who went for a kind of saturation strategy, where if their national vote got high enough they would start to become contenders in a swathe of seats (and indeed got close a few times), the Greens target like crazy. They do stand in a lot of places, but as their deal with the LDs showed they are trying to turn a low percentage overall into some actual seats by targeting hard.

In short, their vote would indeed be wasted (inasmuch as any vote for your party of choice is a waste if unsuccessful) in most of England, as they aren't contenders and aren't even trying to be.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Having the Sindy string to their bow has to be of help I assume. In rUK they only have environmentalism (which all the big parties are getting into) and far leftism.

My deeply cynical suspicion of them is that they're not really all bothered about independence, but pay some lipservice to the concept because they found there was a bit of an open goal niche for them to occupy with it, especially with the Holyrood list vote component.

I also find them irritating in the way they are a sort of SNP-lite wannabe, like that civ in the Culture who really really want to be the Culture but also think they're slightly better than the Culture (is it the GFCF or suchlike?).

In party political analogies it's probably not one that gets made very often to be fair, but I am cynical about everything.
    I used to think that too: that their pro-independence stance was a little superficial. I’ve slowly come to the conclusion that they really mean it.

A significant minority of Scottish Greens would prefer Devo Max, but my guesstimate is that they are only about 10% of the members. Absolute max 20%.
  • Options

kle4 said:

My deeply cynical suspicion of them is that they're not really all bothered about independence, but pay some lipservice to the concept because they found there was a bit of an open goal niche for them to occupy with it, especially with the Holyrood list vote component.

I also find them irritating in the way they are a sort of SNP-lite wannabe, like that civ in the Culture who really really want to be the Culture but also think they're slightly better than the Culture (is it the GFCF or suchlike?).

In party political analogies it's probably not one that gets made very often to be fair, but I am cynical about everything.
    I used to think that too: that their pro-independence stance was a little superficial. I’ve slowly come to the conclusion that they really mean it.

A significant minority of Scottish Greens would prefer Devo Max, but my guesstimate is that they are only about 10% of the members. Absolute max 20%.
    Are we not men? We are Devo.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

Clearly so, and hence the difference between constituency and list polling for Holyrood.

I'm sure I've seen people describe the Tories as toxic despite them getting a lot more votes than the Greens. I'm very confident Green party politicians have probably described them that way. Is toxicity defined by level of support I wonder?
  • Options

kle4 said:

They took the positive, concrete, step of separating from the Green Party in England. I'm not sure why you'd bother to do that if you didn't really believe in Independence.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Could well be it started out as a bit of a cynical and superficial move as suggested, and as they have expanded their support it has morphed into a genuine position.

Like how there were plenty of more softly eurosceptic Tories about, but the harder the party went the harder their MPs have become, which is why party leaders have found them harder to control, since even if, say, Boris did not mean what he said, many of his new MPs believed in it.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

They go out of their way to be transfer-friendly.

In Scotland, an awful lot of environmental policy is focused on land use, and land abuse. Voting Green is simply another way of giving Tory toffs the electoral kicking they so richly deserve.

One of Sturgeon’s more under-the-radar reform achievements was changing Scottish inheritance law, to lead slowly but inexorably to the break-up of large estates. The yelps of pain from the Tory shits was music to most Scot’s’ ears.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,913
    HYUFD said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

Unlikely unless they win FPTP seats.

Bear in mind too that at the 2026 Holyrood elections the Tories will likely be in opposition and more likely to get protest vote while the SNP will still be in government at Holyrood and Labour will likely be in government at Westminster
    You're forgetting that these two electoral systems are interdependent. The Tories get marked down on the regionals if they get seats on FPTP. The Greens don't bother with FPTP so they get marked *up* on the regional seats. Complex results, depending in part on the geographical distribution.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

In Scotland, an awful lot of environmental policy is focused on land use, and land abuse. Voting Green is simply another way of giving Tory toffs the electoral kicking they so richly deserve.

One of Sturgeon’s more under-the-radar reform achievements was changing Scottish inheritance law, to lead slowly but inexorably to the break-up of large estates. The yelps of pain from the Tory shits was music to most Scot’s’ ears.
    Sounds rather like Mugabe. Steal the estates of landowners and farmers who know how to manage and cultivate the land effectively out of class warfare and end up with far worse land management as a result
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

Quite. What the rest of us had to do (ie share out some of our wealth to all our immediate family) was for some reason unfair on the lairds.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Is absolute max the next incarnation of Devo max?
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

Sounds rather like Mugabe. Steal the estates of landowners and farmers who know how to manage and cultivate the land effectively out of class warfare and end up with far worse land management as a result
    Who's stealing what? The families still keep the estates. Which many of them stole in the first place.
  • Options

kle4 said:

They took the positive, concrete, step of separating from the Green Party in England. I'm not sure why you'd bother to do that if you didn't really believe in Independence.
    Not only that, they have recently fallen out big time with the English Greens. Can’t remember the details, but there was some cooperation they have withdrawn from in protest.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

No, that's the minimum (as per the promises madfe in 2014).
  • Options

kle4 said:

Shameful of them to use concrete on something green, I thought they were dead set against that sort of thing.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

Quite. What the rest of us had to do (ie share out some of our wealth to all our immediate family) was for some reason unfair on the lairds.
    Scottish inheritance law only stated that you had to share out movable assets such as vehicles and capital to your children so did fuck all to split up estates.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

Unlikely unless they win FPTP seats.

Bear in mind too that at the 2026 Holyrood elections the Tories will likely be in opposition and more likely to get protest vote while the SNP will still be in government at Holyrood and Labour will likely be in government at Westminster
    You're forgetting that these two electoral systems are interdependent. The Tories get marked down on the regionals if they get seats on FPTP. The Greens don't bother with FPTP so they get marked *up* on the regional seats. Complex results, depending in part on the geographical distribution.

It'd be funny to model the Holyrood system if everyone bar the SNP suddenly stopped standing in the constituencies and just went list only.

Would it result in something mad, or essentially just neutralise itself? I can't quite work that out off the top of my head.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

I can see that. In England 30% of the land is owned by the Aristocracy, and only 5% by regular householders. No wonder it gets a bit crowded and expensive to buy a plot of land for a house.

https://www.lovemoney.com/news/84194/who-owns-englands-land-ownership-biggest-owners

• Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Just catching up, and watched one of RP’s videos. Impressed!

Yes, he appears to be a natural.
    And much younger than I’d expected, since afaik he has adult kids. In fact he looks roughly the same age as me.

Im slightly terrified to think how I’d present on camera.
    We record the vast majority of our lectures now, in order that students can rewatch them (and for those who can’t be arsed to attend in person). I’m amazed that my lectures seem to be given by a short, fat, balding chap who doesn’t sound like me…
    Surely the clue is in the Tubbs name? 🤔

I try to make sure that my recorded teaching dates quickly, don't want to be made redundant by the medical school while still lecturing like some ghost on the Internet forever.
    Originally it was a corruption of Turbs, but it kinda stuck…

We are always assured that we own the lecture content, but having them recorded does not sit easily with everyone. I don’t think we are all getting sacked, I mean who would mark the exams?
    I'm surprised they say that. They employ you to do the work, and it's normal practice generally for the employer to own IP in anything written by the employee as part of that employee's duties. Unis were supposed to be more gentlemanly (so to speak) but I gather this has changed in recent years.
    Mine is an Honorary contract with the Uni. It seems honorary means unpaid!

With the casualisation of the university workforce I am not surprised if the Uni keeps the lectures year after year. Hence the importance of slipping things in like: "These findings are likely to be obsolete in 2024 when the outcomes of Trial X on drug Y are released"

Hard to rerun that lecture indefinitely.
    Not even a honorarium?

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,993
    The Lufthansa strike happened with almost no warning. In this country there always seems to be a fairly big gap between when a strike is announced and when it takes place.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Not only that, they have recently fallen out big time with the English Greens. Can’t remember the details, but there was some cooperation they have withdrawn from in protest.
    It was about, what else, trans issues. The England and Wales Greens are transphobic, apparently, though I cannot actually see in the story as reported any indication what they did or said.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/english-scottish-sian-berry-dundee-welsh-b2203940.html
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    Perhaps I’m missing something here as a non scotch expert, but the fact that Salmond - followed by Sturgeon (by far the stronger operator) have now gone (or going), with very little clarity about how an Indy scot would be delivered, against the context of a rising Labour presence in Westminster, means SNP support reduces? The basics suggest that, I’m not saying the SNP disappear - far from it - but Sturgeon was once in a generation
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

Another Jockspert classic.

It is nothing to do with appropriation. It is to do with younger siblings being entitled to a chunk of the estate.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

Who's stealing what? The families still keep the estates. Which many of them stole in the first place.
    No they don't. Under Sturgeon's bill 'the local community can forcibly buy out landowners if the buyout is in the public interest, benefits the community and delivers “sustainable development” to the land.'

So anyone in the neighbourhood can forcibly buy out the landowners against their will even if they have zero experience of land management of often thousands of acres
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

Another Jockspert classic.

It is nothing to do with appropriation. It is to do with younger siblings being entitled to a chunk of the estate.
    Even if you cut them off for a reason like they rape children and are serving 30 years for it. Scots view they still deserve your money
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Ask Gordon. I’m sure he’ll roll out his Devo Max Relaunch No. 7,968 any day now.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

Scottish inheritance law only stated that you had to share out movable assets such as vehicles and capital to your children so did fuck all to split up estates.
    That *is* splitting up one's estate on death. The heritable property is also included in intestacy.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

That *is* splitting up one's estate on death. The heritable property is also included in intestacy.
    By estates I meant land
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

No they don't. Under Sturgeon's bill 'the local community can forcibly buy out landowners if the buyout is in the public interest, benefits the community and delivers “sustainable development” to the land.'

So anyone in the neighbourhood can forcibly buy out the landlords against their will even if they have zero experience of land management of often thousands of acres
    You've just said 'in the public interest, benefits the community and delivers “sustainable development” to the land.' That's a pretty conclusive definition of being able to manage the land.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

Frankly, if we have the poor planning to not arrange to be born to members of the landed classes I think that's our own fault.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The Lufthansa strike happened with almost no warning. In this country there always seems to be a fairly big gap between when a strike is announced and when it takes place.

2 weeks notice is required by law here. Combined with the balloting by post it is part of the reason the strikes drag on so long.

Postgraduate doctors are very likely to strike next. Their ballot finishes Monday and has taken a month.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

I can see that. In England 30% of the land is owned by the Aristocracy, and only 5% by regular householders. No wonder it gets a bit crowded and expensive to buy a plot of land for a house.

https://www.lovemoney.com/news/84194/who-owns-englands-land-ownership-biggest-owners

'The aristocracy and gentry account for around 30%, with the next 18% coming from corporations.
    After the aristocracy, gentry and corporations come oligarchs and city bankers who own around 17% of the land in the nation according to Shrubsole.

Around 8.5% of English land is owned by the public sector.

Normal homeowners account for...5% of land ownership according to the data, while conservation charities own 2%. Around 1.4% is owned by the Crown, with 0.5% owned by the Church of England.'
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

Getting excited again. Irecommended a nice carpet shop in Coleraine the other day.

By the way, how did you get on with finding the blueprints for the evil plans for those compulsory giant central heating pipes running across the Balmoral estate that you got so excited about?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

So anyone in the neighbourhood can forcibly buy out the landowners against their will even if they have zero experience of land management of often thousands of acres
    Unsurprisingly, you are confusing two totally different items of legislation. You seem to think that a quick Google will fill in your vast, gaping cavity called Knowledge.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

So anyone in the neighbourhood can forcibly buy out the landlords against their will even if they have zero experience of land management of often thousands of acres
    You've just said 'in the public interest, benefits the community and delivers “sustainable development” to the land.' That's a pretty conclusive definition of being able to manage the land.
    No it isn't, as the SNP government gets to determine if it is sustainable or not, not professional land managers
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,853
    HYUFD said:

Net scores for 'would make a good First Minister':

Forbes: +13
    Robertson: +7
    Sarwar: +1
    McAllan: +1
    Flynn: -1
    Gray: -1
    Cherry: -3
    Swinney: -4
    Brown: -5
    Robison: -7
    Yousaf: -17
    Ross: -44

But pay attention to the high levels of unfamiliarity:

https://twitter.com/markmcgeoghegan/status/1626653198063702032?s=46&t=5eCF0RfSA41UPWiBriYI8A

It would be crazy not to elect Kate Forbes. I guess we'll see just how crazy SNP has become in the next few weeks...
    31% good job for Forbes still 14% below the 45% the SNP got in 2019. That is even before her anti abortion views and membership of an anti homosexual marriage church are publicised by SLab
    Enough time for Stuart Lewis to come up on the rails?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

Frankly, if we have the poor planning to not arrange to be born to members of the landed classes I think that's our own fault.
    That does seem to be the attitude of some on here, it must be said.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

No it isn't, as the SNP government gets to determine if it is sustainable or not, not professional land managers
    “Professional land managers”?!? Ho ho. You’ve never met a laird then.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Watching Yes Minister, Zulu, the Thick of It, the Dambusters and Portillo's railway journeys and reading Shakespeare and Lord of the Rings a sign of far right sympathies according to Prevent

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11764775/Yes-Minister-flagged-beleaguered-counter-terror-Prevent-scheme.html
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

Any decent community proposal includes input from professional land managers.

Quite often they are the people working the estate. I know one estate from before and after a community buyout. The improvement is MASSIVE.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    HYUFD said:

Watching Yes Minister, Zulu, the Thick of It, the Dambusters and Portillo's railway journeys and reading Shakespeare and Lord of the Rings a sign of far right sympathies according to Prevent

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11764775/Yes-Minister-flagged-beleaguered-counter-terror-Prevent-scheme.html

All at the same time?!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

They know who to employ and how to run their estates
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Hmm, 5 out of 6 (well, 4.5), I always knew I was a dangerous one.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

Quite often they are the people working the estate. I know one estate from before and after a community buyout. The improvement is MASSIVE.
    The USSR was fantastic too with its communal living
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

And much younger than I’d expected, since afaik he has adult kids. In fact he looks roughly the same age as me.

We record the vast majority of our lectures now, in order that students can rewatch them (and for those who can’t be arsed to attend in person). I’m amazed that my lectures seem to be given by a short, fat, balding chap who doesn’t sound like me…

I try to make sure that my recorded teaching dates quickly, don't want to be made redundant by the medical school while still lecturing like some ghost on the Internet forever.

We are always assured that we own the lecture content, but having them recorded does not sit easily with everyone. I don’t think we are all getting sacked, I mean who would mark the exams?
    I'm surprised they say that. They employ you to do the work, and it's normal practice generally for the employer to own IP in anything written by the employee as part of that employee's duties. Unis were supposed to be more gentlemanly (so to speak) but I gather this has changed in recent years.

With the casualisation of the university workforce I am not surprised if the Uni keeps the lectures year after year. Hence the importance of slipping things in like: "These findings are likely to be obsolete in 2024 when the outcomes of Trial X on drug Y are released"

Not even a honorarium?

Nope. Not a sausage.

The relationship between the Medical School and Trust is a rather odd one. We get about £800 per week per student placement from the Med School, but it doesn't trickle down much to those of us doing clinical teaching. It is quite fun though.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

Re the estate I mentioned just now - I remember the laird and his estate manager. I wouldn't employ the latter to run a corner shop in Epping.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

Ha ha. That is genuinely funny.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

People able to develop their individual businesses as well as a co-op to deal with utilities and the island shop. Absolute explosion fo enterptise and a hugely expanded economy. Mrs T would be proud of them.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

People able to develop their individual businesses as well as a co-op to deal with utilities and the island shop. Absolute explosion fo enterptise and a hugely expanded economy. Mrs T would be proud of them.
    Most lairds estates are not suitable for small businesses but vast wildernesses only really suitable for hunting and fishing and grazing cattle and posh hotels
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited February 2023
    HYUFD said:

I can see the logic, but my main worry is how horrifically out-of-date the list is. Has anyone under 40 seen the Dambusters, Yes Minister or Zulu? (I meant anyone normal, not the weirdos who hang around here).
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

Most lairds estates are not suitable for small businesses but vast wildernesses only really suitable for hunting and fishing and grazing cattle
    That was what the old laird said.

It was mince. Because he wouldnt' let the locals develop eco tourism, remote IT, crafts, and so on.

He was the problem.

Also - if you want to improve your Jockspertise, it's 'shooting' - hunting is the stuff with packs of dogs. And the cattle usually seen on those 'wildernesses' have a habit of being very short-arsed quadrupeds with woolly coats that go baa. Or else green things that stick up and have leaves.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

Most lairds estates are not suitable for small businesses but vast wildernesses only really suitable for hunting and fishing and grazing cattle
    Well since the Clearances anyway. Before that they supported a thriving population. The dispossession of the Scottish population was how the middle belt was populated, and also how large parts of the Empire too. It is how my Scottish ancestors went out to Australia.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

It was mince. Because he wouldnt' let the locals develop eco tourism, remote IT, crafts, and so on.

He was the problem.

Also - if you want to improve your Jockspertise, it's 'shooting' - hunting is the stuff with packs of dogs. And the cattle usually seen on those 'wildernesses' have a habit of being very short-arsed quadrupeds with woolly coats that go baa. Or else green things that stick up and have leaves.
    Remote IT and crafts would cover probably 1% of a lairds estate at best. Eco tourism by its very definition comes and goes and mainly in summer
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

Most lairds estates are not suitable for small businesses but vast wildernesses only really suitable for hunting and fishing and grazing cattle and posh hotels
    You really are a prize knob.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

Well since the Clearances anyway. Before that they supported a thriving population. The dispossession of the Scottish population was how the middle belt was populated, and also how large parts of thEmpire too. It is how my Scottish ancestors went out to Australia.
    The crofters were still tenants of the Lairds. The industrial revolution also made traditional crafts less profitable
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

He was the problem.

Remote IT and crafts would cover probably 1% of a lairds estate at best. Eco tourism by its very definition comes and goes and mainly in summer
    But economically they are huge. As is forestry, various forms of farming, and so on. Which also cover the estate, as does ecotourism, which extends over more of the year than you think, especially when combined with sports. Birds' breeding and migration seasons, for a start.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

Well since the Clearances anyway. Before that they supported a thriving population. The dispossession of the Scottish population was how the middle belt was populated, and also how large parts of thEmpire too. It is how my Scottish ancestors went out to Australia.
    The crofters were still tenants of the Lairds
    The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

Sheep, not cattle, unless they are the same to HYUFD.

Quitre so. That's why it is so interesting to see the commumity buyouts and what the locals have made of their areas and repopulated them within the modern economy.
  • Options
    Just watched the ‘gay’ episode of The Last Of Us.
    Remarkably the twats that it annoyed isn’t even the best thing about it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

The crofters were still tenants of the Lairds. The industrial revolution also made traditional crafts less profitable
    Oh, you mean the sort of tradition like being evicted for dozens of miles from home and made to live in a shack on the coast burning kelp for a short-term economic opportunity to the laird till it went tits ujp and the laird went bust and sold up to sheepfarmers who went bust and sold to shooters? That sort of traditional craft and that sort of posh upper class land management?

• Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,853
    HYUFD said:

I think there was a US equivalent my son mentioned that warned of radicalisation if your teenage son was listening to slacker rock and playing computer games. They might as well have just added masturbation tbh and had done with it.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,551
    edited February 2023
    Carnyx said:

Unpopular said:

https://twitter.com/markmcgeoghegan/status/1626653198063702032?s=46&t=5eCF0RfSA41UPWiBriYI8A

It would be crazy not to elect Kate Forbes. I guess we'll see just how crazy SNP has become in the next few weeks...
    I don't think she'll go for it, plus she could split the SNP like three different ways. Those that back her, will back her to the hilt, her constituency but she could easily alienate a good chunk of SNP voters.
    I really don't buy this argument. Nothing that Salmond or Sturgeon did (before trans) left so much as a dent with SNP voters, because the overriding issue for SNP voters is Scotland, either because they support separation, or because of a more general feeling that Scotland is being done down and needs defending within the Union. That will continue to an extent under whomever succeeds Sturgeon, and it is delusional to think that Labour could move the dial by trying to weaponise Forbes' Christianity. On the contrary, it is likely that her views could see her win voters and activists back from Alba.

Whether her accession would offend some within the party is a different matter entirely.
    The other factor to bear in mind is that - contrary to persistent PB Unionist belief - the SNP or whatever 'Nats' means are not the same thing as the pro-independence movement. You need to include the SGs and a fair chunk of the Labour vote even at present. It's incredibly naive to compare the Yes and the SNP votes as if they were one and the same, yet we have someone on PB who did this only today.
    But you're not acknowledging that not all SNP supporters back independence (in the cold light of day). That's why calling the GE a de facto indy referendum was a very poorly received idea. It frightened the horses. A lot of their supporters are 'God give me independence but not now' types.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

HYUFD said:

I think there was a US equivalent my son mentioned that warned of radicalisation if your teenage son was listening to slacker rock and playing computer games. They might as well have just added masturbation tbh and had done with it.
    TBF the way the PBTories go on about the sanctity of the name of Wing Cdr Gibson's hound, they might have a point.
  • Options
    edited February 2023

Carnyx said:

Unpopular said:

I don't think she'll go for it, plus she could split the SNP like three different ways. Those that back her, will back her to the hilt, her constituency but she could easily alienate a good chunk of SNP voters.
    I really don't buy this argument. Nothing that Salmond or Sturgeon did (before trans) left so much as a dent with SNP voters, because the overriding issue for SNP voters is Scotland, either because they support separation, or because of a more general feeling that Scotland is being done down and needs defending within the Union. That will continue to an extent under whomever succeeds Sturgeon, and it is delusional to think that Labour could move the dial by trying to weaponise Forbes' Christianity. On the contrary, it is likely that her views could see her win voters and activists back from Alba.

Whether her accession would offend some within the party is a different matter entirely.
    The other factor to bear in mind is that - contrary to persistent PB Unionist belief - the SNP or whatever 'Nats' means are not the same thing as the pro-independence movement. You need to include the SGs and a fair chunk of the Labour vote even at present. It's incredibly naive to compare the Yes and the SNP votes as if they were one and the same, yet we have someone on PB who did this only today.
    But you're not acknowledging that not all SNP supporters back independence (in the cold light of day). That's why calling the GE a de facto indy referendum was a very poorly received idea. It frightened the horses. A lot of their supporters are 'God give me independence but not now' types.
    Quite so re the SNP. But there is a difference between the aim and the actual method on offer at the moment. That one is problematical and I wouldn't be surprised if it is dropped. It will be interesting to see what the new leader decides to go for.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Just taking a wild stab in the dark - because those holding the purse-strings required it?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Unpopular said:

Quite so re the SNP. But there is a difference between the aim and the actual method on offer at the moment. That one is problematical and I wouldn't be surprised if it is dropped. It will be interesting to see what the new leader decides to go for.
    I suspect Ms. Forbes will add safeguards to Sturgeon's Gender reforms, and she will also have a bit of breathing space to drop UDI and come up with some other way to campaign for separation. It would be nice if she also tried to govern well, though devolved Scotland actually working isn't on message politically.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,799
    HYUFD said:

This arises from a desperation to find 'far right terrorists' so the programme cannot be accused of racism. In the absence of finding sufficient numbers of them, the definition of 'far right' starts to widen. It is just bureaucratic self interest with absurd outcomes. But the irony of this all taking place under Suella Braverman's watch is something to behold.
  • Options
    darkage said:

HYUFD said:

This arises from a desperation to find 'far right terrorists' so the programme cannot be accused of racism. In the absence of finding sufficient numbers of them, the definition of 'far right' starts to widen. It is just bureaucratic self interest with absurd outcomes. But the irony of this all taking place under Suella Braverman's watch is something to behold.
    Not sure she can do much about it - she will be as appalled and disgusted about it as any right thinking person would be.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Just taking a wild stab in the dark - because those holding the purse-strings required it?
    Which people holding which purse strings you crazy conspiracist loon?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

The crofters were still tenants of the Lairds
    The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    I'd agree, but how confident are we of that opinion?
  • Options
    edited February 2023

kle4 said:

The SNP have provided Scotland's Government for many years now. During that time, opinions and positions on independence in Scotland's civil service, quangos, and all other grant-funded bodies, plus the media, have shifted, going with the flow of patronage. The green party and the organisations that it overlaps in interests and personnel is no different. You don't have to be a 'conspiracist loon' to recognise the influence of self-interest in politics, just not be a slack-jawed dribbling moron.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

When I started in software, many of my colleagues deliberately wrote obscure code to make them harder to sack. Those people were rightly described as arseholes.
    The trick to writing good obfuscated code is to make sure that object and method names are in good English, but don't actually refer to what said functions do.

It's also worth overloading a few common (built in) methods early on.
  • Options
    darkage said:

HYUFD said:

To be fair, in the US there have been a fair few far right terrorists in recent years.
  • Options

Best prices - Next FM

Robertson 5/4
    Forbes 10/3
    McAllan 10/1
    Brown 12/1
    Yousaf 12/1
    Cole-Hamilton (Lib Dem) 14/1
    Denham 18/1

Sarwar (Lab) 40/1

Ross (Con) 100/1

I'm happy to offer 20-1 on Cole-Hamilton if anyone wants to throw their money away.
  • Options
    I honestly have no clue if the rest of thread and reference to 'science' telling us this is true or not, but on coming across this I could not but help reflect on some recent comments bemoaning people not 'growing up' because they decide to keep doing things they enjoy.

After the age of 35, most people make one huge mistake.

It's a mistake that ages you faster, hurts performance, and causes mental and physical decline.

Luckily, it's a mistake that's easy to avoid.

Want to know what it is? 👇

It's the mistake of setting aside "childish" things.

It's the mistake of throwing away hobbies, activities, and passions that fueled you in your youth...

...And replacing them with late nights, early mornings, and taxes.

But science tells us that this is misguided:

https://twitter.com/steven_kotler/status/1624136159424299008?cxt=HHwWgIDSlezOi4otAAAA
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

When I started in software, many of my colleagues deliberately wrote obscure code to make them harder to sack. Those people were rightly described as arseholes.
    The trick to writing good obfuscated code is to make sure that object and method names are in good English, but don't actually refer to what said functions do.

It's also worth overloading a few common (built in) methods early on.
    Add todo comments that are long but vague
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

You might want to Google for "eminent domain"
  • Options
    MuesliMuesli Posts: 92

kle4 said:

The SNP have provided Scotland's Government for many years now. During that time, opinions and positions on independence in Scotland's civil service, quangos, and all other grant-funded bodies, plus the media, have shifted, going with the flow of patronage. The green party and the organisations that it overlaps in interests and personnel is no different. You don't have to be a 'conspiracist loon' to recognise the influence of self-interest in politics, just not be a slack-jawed dribbling moron.
    The Scottish Greens split from the Green Party of England and Wales in 1990, long before the SNP came to power or the new Scottish Parliament was even a thing. Purse strings or so-called SNP patronage had nothing to do with it. Calm yourself down.
  • Options

kle4 said:

What an utter load of drivel.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880
    edited February 2023

kle4 said:

What an utter load of drivel.
    It’s not obviously drivel to me.
    Scotland has resembled a one party state, and it’s perfectly logical that the machinery of government, and much of civil service, should have followed a path of least resistance.

That’s before you even account for the preponderance of left-liberal tendencies in the various institutions mentioned, an ideological domain in which the SNP have also held an effective monopoly.

Something similar to the above happened during New Labour, albeit Tory redoubts could never be fully eradicated in England profonde.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,631
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

No point voting Green in England even if you want to, at least in a GE. Wasted vote. So the English Green vote is down for that reason.
    The voters of Brighton Pavilion and Bristol West might disagree.

I expect the English Green vote to be up next week too thanks to Corbynites defecting from Labour after his deselection
    Actually the slightly green leaning on how it’s voted since 2019 Bristol West seat is no more on new boundaries.
    It becomes the massive Green stronghold of Central Bristols on how the bits of it have voted.
    There’s definitely a chance of Bristol returning that one as a green MP, because although in lots of places green votes might be transferable to Labour where are needed to beat a Conservative and return a change of government in a tight general election, neither of those things apply in Bristol centre next year.
    But shhhh. Friday night is a happy night, let’s not upset Nick Palmer.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    I know it’s late but someone may be tempted to say that the SNP don’t have an ideological monopoly on the liberal left in Scotland.

But I think Scottish Labour have - until very recently, it seems - been restricted to a frankly backward looking and middle aged or elderly demographic, and the Greens have effectively been adopted as a kind of SNP puppet.
  • Options
    One dog that doesn’t seem to have barked is the Green Party in Wales.

It’s slightly weird because the conditions (PR) are there, and there is even a history of sorts of Welsh environmentalism.

Who *do* Cardiff students and back country dope growers vote for?
  • Options

Qatari businessman confirms bid for Man Utd

Debt free purchase with investment in both men's and womens teams, plus new players with emphasis on youth and will be called the 1992 after the class of 92

No connection with PSG and will build new stadium and training complex

“No connection with PSG”

When they say that, do you actually believe it?
    Apparently Sky's reporter has explained the takeover in detail and affirms this is separate to PSG deal
    - Excuse me, what’s your name
    - Bassam
    - If we give you six billion will you buy Manchester United for us, Bassam? competition rules excludes us.
    - I’m sorry. I havn’t the first clue what you are talking about.
    - Not to worry about that, minor detail. We’ll do all the running of it. You’ve just got to call yourself club President and sit in the posh seats.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,238

One dog that doesn’t seem to have barked is the Green Party in Wales.

It’s slightly weird because the conditions (PR) are there, and there is even a history of sorts of Welsh environmentalism.

Who *do* Cardiff students and back country dope growers vote for?

Perhaps they can project their own policies onto Plaid Cymru. Nebulous enough maybe.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,582
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

You can buy agricultural land for a few thousand pounds an acre, an hour out of Cannon Street Station (London)

You can’t build a house on it, though.

Permission to build a house on it in increases the value by orders of magnitude.

That’s where the issue is.

This, by the way, has led to all kinds of dodgy invest in land schemes. Where people get sold “shares” in agricultural land.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,134
    darkage said:

HYUFD said:

Extremely similar to how they wanted to mix in the investigation into street grooming with other forms of child grooming, so it didn't find any uncomfortable conclusions.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,582
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

You might want to Google for "eminent domain"
    Ah, marvellous.

In the US, this use of eminent domain has become a developers charter in the worst way. The public interest is simply they claim that they will make more money than the current users and pay more tax.

In New Hampshire, some libertarian humorists responded appropriately. The judge who ruled the New Hampshire version of this to be consistent with the state constitution had a nice, grand family home.

So they created a proposal to seize it under the eminent domain statute, turn it into a hotel/museum dedicated to liberty… it took quite a lot of effort by his fellow judges to stop it.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
  • Options

Demographic change in Malta, which makes ours looks positively glacial.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    The tabloids have discovered HYUFD?

• Options
    carnforth said:

Do you think that will make them cross?
  • Options

carnforth said:

Do you think that will make them cross?
    I don't know. They have very close faimilial links, being very catholic, so I don't see any risk to what is a very strong culture. There is no serious anti-immigration political party yet. But it's one to watch.

Some of the incomers are boat-people from subsaharan africa via north africa. Typically employed illegally at €2 an hour on construction, with attendant fatal accidents. Others are indian and filipino hotel workers. Still others are europeans working in internet gaming.

But it has affected rents. House prices have been nuts for a while, but rents used to be sensible. In the last ten years, the floor has been raised: the €150 a month studio flat is now €400 a month - in a country where a waiter earns €4 an hour.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    I don’t want to give @ydoethur ideas, but…

Lauren Boebert is now co-sponsoring the bill to eliminate the Department of Education.
    https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1626615737375653888
  • Options
    Meet Ms Heeves, the face of Britain’s new political consensus
    How Labour and the Conservatives ended up agreeing on almost everything

https://www.economist.com/britain/2023/02/02/meet-ms-heeves-the-face-of-britains-new-political-consensus
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Baffled at the notion reading Lord of the Rings is indicative of an extreme right wing political ideology.

Or Shakespeare.
  • Options
    Fraser Nelson on Kate Forbes chances:

I suspect the SNP is simply too far gone, too much of a Sturgeon personality cult to use her departure as a chance to ask where things went wrong. Forbes could offer a change of tone and direction, but the party members may still be more interested in looking for bigots and traitors than converts. Far easier to choose a Sturgeon “continuity” candidate to keep marching angrily down the road of fantasy and factionalism, disaggregation and defeat. As a unionist, I can but hope.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/02/16/snp-has-rising-star-even-dangerous-union-sturgeon/
This discussion has been closed.