Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

First post-Sturgeon IndyRef poll sees no change – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,018
edited February 2023 in General
First post-Sturgeon IndyRef poll sees no change – politicalbetting.com

?NEW #indyref2 voting intention for @TheScotsman First IndyRef2 VI since Sturgeon resigned? Yes 44% (=)? No 46% (=)? Undec. 9% (=)w/o Undec.? Yes 49% (=)? No 51% (=)1,004 Scottish adults, 15-17 Feb(change from 16-21 Dec) pic.twitter.com/0UPtLmTXPP

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,693
    edited February 2023
    Mm. Different polling company from the last thread, different question ...

Edit: and fieldwork overlapping the resignation story.
  • Options
    boulay said:

kjh said:

Here we go again. How about trying to engage on the content with @kinabalu and not the personal insults because each time you do this it comes over as you losing the argument with him. You seem to lose every time you debate with him which isn't a good look.

The way Leon abuses @kinabalu constantly is disgusting. @kinabalu is one of the best posters on the site, being actually of the left, giving a good perspective. He's always polite and kind and has looked out for me many a time.

Despicable.
    Keep going horse, if you keep whinging and wetting your pants about people on the site who don’t hold your views and are a bit punchy then you can get everyone banned and the site will be perfect for you.
    I've got no issue with anyone having opposing views, it is the needless abuse from some I call out.

HYUFD I totally disagree with but he's a pleasant chap, likewise Richard on certain issues just to give two examples.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:
    Seems like a good idea to me.
    There weren’t any details in the article, but expropriation is a dangerous path to tread
    Not clear how it works at all. Also a 500% increase in council tax for empty homes. Disproprortionately affects the poor rather than the rich. And a real issue for people in hospital. Logically also applies to holiday homes as well (otherwise someone goes and stays in it 1 night a year). Interesting.
    It sounds a bit PR Stunt / Populist.

1 - £1 selling off is more Thatcherite than Thatcher's 50% or 60% discount on Council houses.
    2 - It will be marginal as we have already spent 20 years cracking down on empty homes.
    3 - How do they stop investors striking formal or informal back to back deals? SNP had problems with that, with council houses being sold off to English investors.
    4 - Would they generally not be better pulling them into the social sector as rentals for the people on the waiting list?
    5 - What about the significant % of empty homes that are owned by Councils / HAs?

It will, however, galvanise the owners of those homes into action.
    1 - These are not in the main council houses AIUI. Edit: I see what you mean. Maybe GeoffW can get his Thatcherite wish by voting SLab ;-)
    2 - 27,000 empty houses is the number quoted.
    3 - Clauses in the contract?
    4 - Yes
    5 - Really? Are there any? Here in Dorset HA homes are like hen's teeth - massive waiting list, no empty homes AFAIK.
    That 27K is almost exactly 1% of all dwellings in Scotland, and about a third of all empty homes.

I wonder if they got that 27K by rounding down from the stat on page 13

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/statistics-and-data/statistics/statistics-by-theme/households/household-estimates/2021

But this refers to the covid era with delays in processing legalities and so on. On the next page they say "(The spike in the percentage of long-term empty properties in
    2020 may reflect the impact of Covid lockdown restrictions, for example with fewer
    people moving house in that period.)"
    Better data - thank-you.

Looking at it, Total Empties in Scotland for 2021 is ~88,000 or 3.3%. Exemptions on top of that (eg not yet finished or awaiting demolition) are ~44,500 or 1.7%.

In England the Total Empties figure for 2022 is 676,500 which for 25 million dwellings would be around 2.5%. These are "defined as empty properties as classified for council tax purposes and include all empty properties liable for council tax and properties that are empty but receive a council tax exemption. "

The definitions look fairly comparable ie based around Council Tax.

Scottish Gov breaks down the numbers by short term / long term, but not by ownership.

The total Long Term empties in Scotland are stated as 43,766, with a definition of 6 months empty. I'm guessing the 27k number is either >12 months empties or private rented sector empties, with Lab ignoring social sector - which would be consistent with their usual policy practice around non-habitable and LLs evicting and so on, where they quiet about how much HAs use Section 21 for example.

Total empties in Scotland are quoted as 88, 735, which is 3.3%.

Make of all that what you will.

Digging into this is a rabbit hole.
    FPT

But the figures are not huigely different given the uncertainties, and note the markedly better Scottish output of council houses. It'll be interesting to see why Labour don't advocate the same policy in England, or for that matter Wales. They're a UK party without divisions (vide Elec. Comm.).
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,942
    edited February 2023
    A glimpse of things to come?

https://unherd.com/thepost/replika-users-mourn-the-loss-of-their-chatbot-girlfriends/

Some company built an AI sexbot on the back of LLM (chatGPTesque) technology, charged them $70 a month for it, then changed the terms of service so it won't get "intimate" with them any more, now people are suicidal. Reddit is full of posts of people who feel like their girlfriend has dumped them. The service had 10m users.

From the article: "It is easy to mock these people, but they are at the sharp end of a trend that has seen us all nervously draw away from the risky, messy world of real human interactions and attempt to mimic them with ersatz virtual ones."
  • Options
    boulay said:

Pagan2 said:

boulay said:

kjh said:

Here we go again. How about trying to engage on the content with @kinabalu and not the personal insults because each time you do this it comes over as you losing the argument with him. You seem to lose every time you debate with him which isn't a good look.

The way Leon abuses @kinabalu constantly is disgusting. @kinabalu is one of the best posters on the site, being actually of the left, giving a good perspective. He's always polite and kind and has looked out for me many a time.

Despicable.
    Keep going horse, if you keep whinging and wetting your pants about people on the site who don’t hold your views and are a bit punchy then you can get everyone banned and the site will be perfect for you.
    Horse in his time has been as punchy as anyone
    Absolutely, he’s the little shit in the playground who runs up behind someone and trips them up the runs off shouting he’s being bullied. Then runs round the big boys trying to make friends “how are you, you alright?” It’s fucking bollocks.

It’s an argumentative site full of opinions that vary wildly made beautiful by the varying strength of those opinions, the time of night those opinions are expressed and would be all the poorer if punchier members weren’t here - Malcolm is super punchy and I would leave if his straight talking no-nonsense went because someone found it upsetting (ironically I think Malcolm probably has the most Zen life of anyone on here).

Leon is super sharp, mad, amusing, annoying, and won’t be everyone’s cup of tea but he posts far more interesting posts than “Tories heading for extinction, you alright friend, stop bullying me”.

Lucky guy has some alternative views but can be interesting because we want the alternative views.

BeinDerg X is great because he’s v intelligent and can offer insight and mix it up with being an absolute grinch, well he could until banned.

Kinabalu doesn’t need defending like a damsel in distress because he’s sorted, he’s sitting in his local in London in his Peakey Blinders cap and centrist dad trainer/shoes and he doesn’t give a monkeys about the harder banter at him, he just raises a wry smile and sips his craft beer.

Really getting dull this whole bullshit on here with posters trying to shit down what they don’t like. Try mumsnet instead, will shock you on the abuse and the C word is mandatory.
    I wish you a pleasant evening.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

https://unherd.com/thepost/replika-users-mourn-the-loss-of-their-chatbot-girlfriends/

Some company built an AI sexbot on the back of LLM (chatGPTesque) technology, charged them $70 a month for it, then changed the terms of service so it won't get "intimate" with them any more, now people are suicidal. Reddit is full of posts of people who feel like their girlfriend has dumped them. The service had 10m users.

From the article: "It is easy to mock these people, but they are at the sharp end of a trend that has seen us all nervously draw away from the risky, messy world of real human interactions and attempt to mimic them with ersatz virtual ones."

How are you keeping @kyf_100?

I have to say I am finding this whole AI chat bot all hype all a bit over the top.
  • Options
    Qatari businessman confirms bid for Man Utd

Debt free purchase with investment in both men's and womens teams, plus new players with emphasis on youth and will be called the 1992 after the class of 92

No connection with PSG and will build new stadium and training complex
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,942

kyf_100 said:

I have to say I am finding this whole AI chat bot all hype all a bit over the top.
    Still walking the long, slow path out of depression. Turning 40 and looking back on the last twenty years and feeling like a lot of them were lost or wasted. I have good days and bad days - the trick is trying to increase the number of good days.

When work gets a bit less crazy, I should probably take Leon's advice and go to Mexico for some Ayahusca...
  • Options

boulay said:

kjh said:

Despicable.
    I've got no issue with anyone having opposing views, it is the needless abuse from some I call out.

HYUFD I totally disagree with but he's a pleasant chap, likewise Richard on certain issues just to give two examples.
    Hey, how are you mate?

Hope you're doing well!
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,161

Debt free purchase with investment in both men's and womens teams, plus new players with emphasis on youth and will be called the 1992 after the class of 92

I wonder how this will be greeted given the issues surrounding the World Cup ?
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Still walking the long, slow path out of depression. Turning 40 and looking back on the last twenty years and feeling like a lot of them were lost or wasted. I have good days and bad days - the trick is trying to increase the number of good days.

When work gets a bit less crazy, I should probably take Leon's advice and go to Mexico for some Ayahusca...
    I do know how difficult some days can be, especially at this time of the year. I hope you will know that we don't think any time you have spent here is wasted.
  • Options
    On the polling I think it is far too early to draw conclusions though on the face of it it is good news for Starmer and hopefully the union

It will be very interesting how this plays out over the coming months and especially once a new leader takes over, but it must have had a negative effect indyref2 in the short term
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,505
    edited February 2023
    Carnyx said:

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:
    There weren’t any details in the article, but expropriation is a dangerous path to tread
    Not clear how it works at all. Also a 500% increase in council tax for empty homes. Disproprortionately affects the poor rather than the rich. And a real issue for people in hospital. Logically also applies to holiday homes as well (otherwise someone goes and stays in it 1 night a year). Interesting.

1 - £1 selling off is more Thatcherite than Thatcher's 50% or 60% discount on Council houses.
    2 - It will be marginal as we have already spent 20 years cracking down on empty homes.
    3 - How do they stop investors striking formal or informal back to back deals? SNP had problems with that, with council houses being sold off to English investors.
    4 - Would they generally not be better pulling them into the social sector as rentals for the people on the waiting list?
    5 - What about the significant % of empty homes that are owned by Councils / HAs?

1 - These are not in the main council houses AIUI. Edit: I see what you mean. Maybe GeoffW can get his Thatcherite wish by voting SLab ;-)
    4 - Yes
    5 - Really? Are there any? Here in Dorset HA homes are like hen's teeth - massive waiting list, no empty homes AFAIK.
    That 27K is almost exactly 1% of all dwellings in Scotland, and about a third of all empty homes.

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/statistics-and-data/statistics/statistics-by-theme/households/household-estimates/2021

But this refers to the covid era with delays in processing legalities and so on. On the next page they say "(The spike in the percentage of long-term empty properties in
    2020 may reflect the impact of Covid lockdown restrictions, for example with fewer
    Better data - thank-you.

Looking at it, Total Empties in Scotland for 2021 is ~88,000 or 3.3%. Exemptions on top of that (eg not yet finished or awaiting demolition) are ~44,500 or 1.7%.

In England the Total Empties figure for 2022 is 676,500 which for 25 million dwellings would be around 2.5%. These are "defined as empty properties as classified for council tax purposes and include all empty properties liable for council tax and properties that are empty but receive a council tax exemption. "

Scottish Gov breaks down the numbers by short term / long term, but not by ownership.

The total Long Term empties in Scotland are stated as 43,766, with a definition of 6 months empty. I'm guessing the 27k number is either >12 months empties or private rented sector empties, with Lab ignoring social sector - which would be consistent with their usual policy practice around non-habitable and LLs evicting and so on, where they quiet about how much HAs use Section 21 for example.

FPT

But the figures are not huigely different given the uncertainties, and note the markedly better Scottish output of council houses. It'll be interesting to see why Labour don't advocate the same policy in England, or for that matter Wales. They're a UK party without divisions (vide Elec. Comm.).
    Agree there, and I haven't intended to make Eng / Scot like for like comparisons (if that came across - sorry).

The difference between say 2% and 2.5% is 20% proportionally, but 0.5% on the stock volume - and the number of say job-tied (or other category) houses excluded is small on the stock but adds to the far smaller variation figures.

If there are % differences, it may when activism started (Earlier in England, I think - as far back as 1992 for the launch of Action on Empty Homes, as it is now), or societal differences, or anything. And things like particular campaigns locally make a difference.

If the number *is* a little higher in Sco, that would go towards appropriateness for a stronger policy, perhaps.
  • Options
    🚨 NEW: Post-Sturgeon poll shows 10pt SNP lead

🟡 SNP 42% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 32% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-2)
    🟠 LD 6% (-)

Seats (new boundaries, +/- vs 2019):

🟡 SNP 45 (-3)
    🔴 LAB 10 (+9)
    🟠 LD 2 (-)
    🔵 CON 0 (-6)

Via @Savanta_UK, 15-17 Feb (+/- vs Dec 2022)

https://twitter.com/leftiestats/status/1626662086221651972?s=46&t=5eCF0RfSA41UPWiBriYI8A
  • Options

🟡 SNP 42% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 32% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-2)
    🟠 LD 6% (-)

🟡 SNP 45 (-3)
    🔴 LAB 10 (+9)
    🟠 LD 2 (-)
    🔵 CON 0 (-6)

https://twitter.com/leftiestats/status/1626662086221651972?s=46&t=5eCF0RfSA41UPWiBriYI8A

Stuart you are a decent chap but Stats for Lefties is utter trash.
  • Options

🟡 SNP 42% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 32% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-2)
    🟠 LD 6% (-)

🟡 SNP 45 (-3)
    🔴 LAB 10 (+9)
    🟠 LD 2 (-)
    🔵 CON 0 (-6)

If Labour are polling at 30%+ in Scotland they'd get far more than 10 seats in reality.

Hate to say it but Labour majority now represents real value.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,137
    edited February 2023
    …..
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Carnyx said:

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

4 - Yes

Better data - thank-you.

FPT

Indeed.

Labour run Wales. They could implement it right away.
  • Options

🟡 SNP 42% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 32% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-2)
    🟠 LD 6% (-)

🟡 SNP 45 (-3)
    🔴 LAB 10 (+9)
    🟠 LD 2 (-)
    🔵 CON 0 (-6)

What about Savanta?
  • Options

🟡 SNP 42% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 32% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-2)
    🟠 LD 6% (-)

🟡 SNP 45 (-3)
    🔴 LAB 10 (+9)
    🟠 LD 2 (-)
    🔵 CON 0 (-6)

Are you disputing the figures?
  • Options
    Stats for Lefties utterly hates Keir Starmer, so I would treat any polling "analysis" they do with extreme caution.

They spent GE19 re-weighting the polls so I would really be very averse to using them.
  • Options

🟡 SNP 42% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 32% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-2)
    🟠 LD 6% (-)

🟡 SNP 45 (-3)
    🔴 LAB 10 (+9)
    🟠 LD 2 (-)
    🔵 CON 0 (-6)

If Labour are polling at 30%+ in Scotland they'd get far more than 10 seats in reality.
    Not if the SNP are 10 points ahead. Ask Martin Baxter.
  • Options
    Should be no problem finding it then…

The president of the SNP has denied that money has gone “missing” from party accounts as police continue to investigate what happened to more than £600,000 of donations.

https://archive.is/bm7SH
  • Options
    📊 We have our first post-resignation polling (Wednesday's YouGov Chat notwithstanding), from @IpsosScotland.

@NicolaSturgeon changed Scotland...

For the better: 59%
    No difference: 8%
    For the worse: 31%

https://twitter.com/markmcgeoghegan/status/1626653186873298962?s=46&t=5eCF0RfSA41UPWiBriYI8A
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBattery3CorrectHorseBattery3 Posts: 2,757
    edited February 2023

🟡 SNP 42% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 32% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-2)
    🟠 LD 6% (-)

🟡 SNP 45 (-3)
    🔴 LAB 10 (+9)
    🟠 LD 2 (-)
    🔵 CON 0 (-6)

I'm disputing their seat estimates, because they have form for just making things up.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    Taz said:

I wonder how this will be greeted given the issues surrounding the World Cup ?
    Like the world cup itself, initial furore then ignored?
  • Options
    Net scores for 'would make a good First Minister':

Forbes: +13
    Robertson: +7
    Sarwar: +1
    McAllan: +1
    Flynn: -1
    Gray: -1
    Cherry: -3
    Swinney: -4
    Brown: -5
    Robison: -7
    Yousaf: -17
    Ross: -44

But pay attention to the high levels of unfamiliarity:

https://twitter.com/markmcgeoghegan/status/1626653198063702032?s=46&t=5eCF0RfSA41UPWiBriYI8A
  • Options

https://twitter.com/markmcgeoghegan/status/1626653198063702032?s=46&t=5eCF0RfSA41UPWiBriYI8A

What's Yousaf done to upset so many people compared to his colleagues?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413

It would be crazy not to elect Kate Forbes. I guess we'll see just how crazy SNP has become in the next few weeks...
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited February 2023

🟡 SNP 42% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 32% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-2)
    🟠 LD 6% (-)

🟡 SNP 45 (-3)
    🔴 LAB 10 (+9)
    🟠 LD 2 (-)
    🔵 CON 0 (-6)

I'm disputing their seat estimates, because they have form for just making things up.
    Baxter gives (new boundaries):

SNP 42 seats (-6)
    SLab 10 seats (+9)
    SCon 3 seats (-3)
    SLD 2 seats (nc)

So not a big difference.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,216
    kle4 said:

There was that whole episode with the amateur sting operation on the nursery. And then he's in charge of the health service at a time when it's struggling.
  • Options

🟡 SNP 42% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 32% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-2)
    🟠 LD 6% (-)

🟡 SNP 45 (-3)
    🔴 LAB 10 (+9)
    🟠 LD 2 (-)
    🔵 CON 0 (-6)

SNP 42 seats (-6)
    SLab 10 seats (+9)
    SCon 3 seats (-3)
    SLD 2 seats (nc)

So not a big difference.
    That's fair enough, consider me corrected but I would advise refraining from using Stats for Lefties solely.
  • Options

It would be crazy not to elect Kate Forbes. I guess we'll see just how crazy SNP has become in the next few weeks...
    A Jockspert classic.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVsD7mKHlDM
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960

🟡 SNP 42% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 32% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-2)
    🟠 LD 6% (-)

🟡 SNP 45 (-3)
    🔴 LAB 10 (+9)
    🟠 LD 2 (-)
    🔵 CON 0 (-6)

What about Savanta?
    Personal view, the map is trash because it has the LD seats as Orkney & Shetland (true) and Fife North East (I'd make the SNP narrow favourites), while missing the fact that Edinburgh West is almost unchanged and is probably the safest LD seat in Scotland.

• Options

Robertson does fairly well on those numbers too, if you wanted to give Forbes a few more years.
  • Options

I don't think she'll go for it, plus she could split the SNP like three different ways. Those that back her, will back her to the hilt, her constituency but she could easily alienate a good chunk of SNP voters.
  • Options

🟡 SNP 42% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 32% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-2)
    🟠 LD 6% (-)

🟡 SNP 45 (-3)
    🔴 LAB 10 (+9)
    🟠 LD 2 (-)
    🔵 CON 0 (-6)

SNP 42 seats (-6)
    SLab 10 seats (+9)
    SCon 3 seats (-3)
    SLD 2 seats (nc)

So not a big difference.
    That's fair enough, consider me corrected but I would advise refraining from using Stats for Lefties solely.
    I don’t think I’ve ever seen them before in my life. They happened to pop up on my timeline. Far from using them “solely”, it is highly likely that I’ll never use them again.
  • Options

Robertson does fairly well on those numbers too, if you wanted to give Forbes a few more years.
    In the positives with plenty of don't knows to add to it, both seem like they'd be well set from those numbers.
  • Options

🟡 SNP 42% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 32% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-2)
    🟠 LD 6% (-)

🟡 SNP 45 (-3)
    🔴 LAB 10 (+9)
    🟠 LD 2 (-)
    🔵 CON 0 (-6)

SNP 42 seats (-6)
    SLab 10 seats (+9)
    SCon 3 seats (-3)
    SLD 2 seats (nc)

So not a big difference.
    I don’t think I’ve ever seen them before in my life. They happened to pop up on my timeline. Far from using them “solely”, it is highly likely that I’ll never use them again.
    Fair enough, my apologies for the confusion then.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,977
    Just catching up, and watched one of RP’s videos. Impressed!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

🟡 SNP 42% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 32% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-2)
    🟠 LD 6% (-)

🟡 SNP 45 (-3)
    🔴 LAB 10 (+9)
    🟠 LD 2 (-)
    🔵 CON 0 (-6)

What about Savanta?
    Personal view, the map is trash because it has the LD seats as Orkney & Shetland (true) and Fife North East (I'd make the SNP narrow favourites), while missing the fact that Edinburgh West is almost unchanged and is probably the safest LD seat in Scotland.

Edinburgh West is likely to be a Lab Gain.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    All very interesting but if Labour regain lots of SNP seats then zero chance of an indyref2 even with a Labour government not a Tory one
  • Options

A Jockspert classic.
    Digusted of Sweden writes.
  • Options

31% good job for Forbes still 14% below the 45% the SNP got in 2019. That is even before her anti abortion views and membership of an anti homosexual marriage church are publicised by SLab
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    I do think the bizarre crowing - and not just from obviously partisan commentators - about the SNP is incredibly premature.

But I also think some of the Scotterati are guilty of head-in-the-sandism.

It’s half time, and a nil-all draw. SNP have dominated but have just lost their star striker.
    Labour have looked uninspired, but seem to be gaining in confidence.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    A forensic scientist I know told me of a detective who got a very hard time because his DNA was found on a crime scene - he was not supposed to have gone onto it as per regs - but IIRC the evidence for his not breaching the barrier (video monitoring, etc.) was irrefutable. Turned out he'd shaken hands with one of the tecs who did go onto the crime scene.

There may be more to it than that, though.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    edited February 2023

Yes, he appears to be a natural.
    And much younger than I’d expected, since afaik he has adult kids. In fact he looks roughly the same age as me.

Im slightly terrified to think how I’d present on camera.
  • Options

Yes they are excellent, Sir is a natural
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

All very interesting but if Labour regain lots of SNP seats then zero chance of an indyref2 even with a Labour government not a Tory one

Not quite so simple though.

If a new Labour government disappoints, and does so quickly, the 2026 Holyrood election could see a big win for the SNP, and then IndyRef2 would be back on the agenda.

There are lots of different ways things might turn out.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850
    Fans of Bulgarian general elections are in for another treat with the country going to the polls again on April 2nd which will be their FIFTH parliamentary election in two years.

The last contest last autumn failed to produce a coalition Government which could command a majority in the National assembly.

We Continue the Change (PP) and Democratic Bulgaria (DB) have formed an electoral alliance and they are narrowly ahead of the GERB-SDS alliance. The Movement of Rights and Reforms, Revival and the Coalition for Bulgaria all look set to be returned to the assembly but the Party of former Prime Minister Yanev is now just under the 4% threshold so his 12 seats will be divided between the other parties.

It's hard to see how another poll is going to shift the dedlock with neither of the leading electoral blocs able to find the support from other parties needed to get beyond the 121-seat threshold.
  • Options

I do think the bizarre crowing - and not just from obviously partisan commentators - about the SNP is incredibly premature.

Possibly, but it's also (to a lesser degree) like complaining about one side celebrating too much the day after an election win. It might be flash in the pan, and people might end up with egg on their face, but they can enjoy some momentary (relative) good news.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Not quite so simple though.

If a new Labour government disappoints, and does so quickly, the 2026 Holyrood election could see a big win for the SNP, and then IndyRef2 would be back on the agenda.

There are lots of different ways things might turn out.
    Though if Labour still get a UK majority in 2028/9 they can still ignore the SNP at Holyrood anyway post SC ruling
  • Options

And much younger than I’d expected, since afaik he has adult kids. In fact he looks roughly the same age as me.

I've been interviewed on local news before. It can be worse then you'd imagine.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    MattW said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

4 - Yes

Better data - thank-you.

FPT

Agree there, and I haven't intended to make Eng / Scot like for like comparisons (if that came across - sorry).

The difference between say 2% and 2.5% is 20% proportionally, but 0.5% on the stock volume - and the number of say job-tied (or other category) houses excluded is small on the stock but adds to the far smaller variation figures.

If there are % differences, it may when activism started (Earlier in England, I think - as far back as 1992 for the launch of Action on Empty Homes, as it is now), or societal differences, or anything. And things like particular campaigns locally make a difference.

If the number *is* a little higher in Sco, that would go towards appropriateness for a stronger policy, perhaps.
    No, didn't come over as that, thanks.

Another thing - that figure of 27K is so suspiciously close to the NRS report as to make me wonder. Sort of thing an intern would snap up from the internet. But that would include council houses etc which you'd think Labour would exclude from their scheme. In which case, you'd expect a considerable drop to give the real figure (also because 2021 to 2022 change, and delay backlog cleared of processing house sales/council house moves).

The empty houses are defined from council tax records, it seems. Can't see that that excludes council houses.

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/files//statistics/household-estimates/2021/house-est-21-methodology.pdf
  • Options

We record the vast majority of our lectures now, in order that students can rewatch them (and for those who can’t be arsed to attend in person). I’m amazed that my lectures seem to be given by a short, fat, balding chap who doesn’t sound like me…
    What is it you lecture in, tubbs?
  • Options
    Unpopular said:

I don't think she'll go for it, plus she could split the SNP like three different ways. Those that back her, will back her to the hilt, her constituency but she could easily alienate a good chunk of SNP voters.
    I really don't buy this argument. Nothing that Salmond or Sturgeon did (before trans) left so much as a dent with SNP voters, because the overriding issue for SNP voters is Scotland, either because they support separation, or because of a more general feeling that Scotland is being done down and needs defending within the Union. That will continue to an extent under whomever succeeds Sturgeon, and it is delusional to think that Labour could move the dial by trying to weaponise Forbes' Christianity. On the contrary, it is likely that her views could see her win voters and activists back from Alba.

Whether her accession would offend some within the party is a different matter entirely.
  • Options

It's a cliche, but for a lot of people it's not even how they look or present, but how they sound. Turns out we don't all elocute like BBC Newsreaders with the pleasing timbre of Morgan Freeman as we might sound in our own heads.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,177

We record the vast majority of our lectures now, in order that students can rewatch them (and for those who can’t be arsed to attend in person). I’m amazed that my lectures seem to be given by a short, fat, balding chap who doesn’t sound like me…
    Life sciences department (as of last year from a merge of two departments), analytical chemistry, organic chemistry and medicinal chemistry (of cancer).
  • Options

Deepfakes man, they can screw you over.
  • Options

Life sciences department (as of last year from a merge of two departments), analytical chemistry, organic chemistry and medicinal chemistry (of cancer).
    I know what some of those words mean
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It's a cliche, but for a lot of people it's not even how they look or present, but how they sound. Turns out we don't all elocute like BBC Newsreaders with the pleasing timbre of Morgan Freeman as we might sound in our own heads.
    It's because when we hear ourselves it's partly through bone conduction from the pharyngeal cavity and mouth direct to the middle ear, as well as through the air to the eardrums. Different timbres or whatever the word is.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,957
    stodge said:

Fans of Bulgarian general elections are in for another treat with the country going to the polls again on April 2nd which will be their FIFTH parliamentary election in two years.

The last contest last autumn failed to produce a coalition Government which could command a majority in the National assembly.

We Continue the Change (PP) and Democratic Bulgaria (DB) have formed an electoral alliance and they are narrowly ahead of the GERB-SDS alliance. The Movement of Rights and Reforms, Revival and the Coalition for Bulgaria all look set to be returned to the assembly but the Party of former Prime Minister Yanev is now just under the 4% threshold so his 12 seats will be divided between the other parties.

It's hard to see how another poll is going to shift the dedlock with neither of the leading electoral blocs able to find the support from other parties needed to get beyond the 121-seat threshold.

We Continue the Change is a great name under the circumstances.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Deepfakes man, they can screw you over.
    That’s an explanation I can get on board with!
  • Options
    stodge said:

The Israeli's will need ot have a government collapse sharpish, they won't like their 5 in a 3 year period 2019-2022 to be eclipsed like that.
  • Options

But I also think some of the Scotterati are guilty of head-in-the-sandism.

It’s half time, and a nil-all draw. SNP have dominated but have just lost their star striker.
    Labour have looked uninspired, but seem to be gaining in confidence.

The 20% DK for Anas Sarwar is telling.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599

Should be no problem finding it then…

The president of the SNP has denied that money has gone “missing” from party accounts as police continue to investigate what happened to more than £600,000 of donations.

https://archive.is/bm7SH

Look on McCraggy Island to find it resting in someone's account.
  • Options

From Savanta's Twitter feed. This doesn't seem to match the figures posted earlier. Am I missing something?
  • Options

Unpopular said:

I really don't buy this argument. Nothing that Salmond or Sturgeon did (before trans) left so much as a dent with SNP voters, because the overriding issue for SNP voters is Scotland, either because they support separation, or because of a more general feeling that Scotland is being done down and needs defending within the Union. That will continue to an extent under whomever succeeds Sturgeon, and it is delusional to think that Labour could move the dial by trying to weaponise Forbes' Christianity. On the contrary, it is likely that her views could see her win voters and activists back from Alba.

Whether her accession would offend some within the party is a different matter entirely.
    The other factor to bear in mind is that - contrary to persistent PB Unionist belief - the SNP or whatever 'Nats' means are not the same thing as the pro-independence movement. You need to include the SGs and a fair chunk of the Labour vote even at present. It's incredibly naive to compare the Yes and the SNP votes as if they were one and the same, yet we have someone on PB who did this only today.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

stodge said:

I was a great fan of 'There is such a people' as a name. Stodge will recall the details, but they seem to have had a riotous short existence, 51 seats, then 65, then 25, then 0, all within 18 months.

Their best result seemed to come from a novel tactic of saying nothing, from wiki:

During the election campaign period, the party essentially refused to campaign or issue promises, largely staying out of the political debate. This was initially shown to be a winning move, as the party experienced a surge in popularity.[11][12] Having faced criticism for never attending parliamentary sessions during the previous convocation, Trifonov did not put himself forward as a candidate, stating that it was "not his place" and that his job would be to "take on responsibility" from outside the National Assembly.[13] In the July 2021 parliamentary election, ITN polled narrowly ahead of GERB, thus winning a plurality, though not a majority, in the National Assembly
  • Options
    🚨 Scottish Parliament poll:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

SNP/Greens would have 23-seat majority.

Via @Savanta_UK, 15-17 Feb (+/- vs

https://twitter.com/leftiestats/status/1626665794477207552?s=46&t=5eCF0RfSA41UPWiBriYI8A
  • Options
    edited February 2023

From Savanta's Twitter feed. This doesn't seem to match the figures posted earlier. Am I missing something?

In the header? That's for indyref. SNP plus SGs plus about a third of Labour is if anything slightly higher than the yes figure.

If you mean the poll on the previous header, that's for Westminster where the smaller parties don't get a fair showing. It doesn't help that the words "General election" are used, without specifying what kind of GE, [edit] in the original source.
  • Options

Surely the clue is in the Tubbs name? 🤔

I try to make sure that my recorded teaching dates quickly, don't want to be made redundant by the medical school while still lecturing like some ghost on the Internet forever.
  • Options

Holyrood v. Westminster I think?
  • Options

Westminster VI versus Holyrood VI.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

In the header? That's for indyref. SNP plus SGs plus about a third of Labour is if anything slightly higher than the yes figure.

If you mean the poll on the previous header, that's for Westminster where the smaller parties don't get a fair showing. It doesn't help that the words "General election" are used without specifying what kind of GE.
    No, I was referring to the figures posted by Stuart.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

stodge said:

I was a great fan of 'There is such a people' as a name. Stodge will recall the details, but they seem to have had a riotous short existence, 51 seats, then 65, then 25, then 0, all within 18 months.

Their best result seemed to come from a novel tactic of saying nothing, from wiki:

During the election campaign period, the party essentially refused to campaign or issue promises, largely staying out of the political debate. This was initially shown to be a winning move, as the party experienced a surge in popularity.[11][12] Having faced criticism for never attending parliamentary sessions during the previous convocation, Trifonov did not put himself forward as a candidate, stating that it was "not his place" and that his job would be to "take on responsibility" from outside the National Assembly.[13] In the July 2021 parliamentary election, ITN polled narrowly ahead of GERB, thus winning a plurality, though not a majority, in the National Assembly
    So now we know where Starmer has been copying from!
  • Options

Carnyx said:

If you mean the poll on the previous header, that's for Westminster where the smaller parties don't get a fair showing. It doesn't help that the words "General election" are used without specifying what kind of GE.
    No, I was referring to the figures posted by Stuart.
    Further upthread I posted Westminster VI. The graphic you posted shows Holyrood VI.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

“No connection with PSG”

When they say that, do you actually believe it?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    The trouble is that as soon as the polls move against independence English unionists lose interest. They don't want the Scots to leave but aren't very bothered about trying to boost the ties that bind us together. Perhaps it's an admirably liberal trait but it strikes me as less than ideal that a substantial chunk of our island's population feels indifferent, even foreign to one another.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I try to make sure that my recorded teaching dates quickly, don't want to be made redundant by the medical school while still lecturing like some ghost on the Internet forever.
    Originally it was a corruption of Turbs, but it kinda stuck…

We are always assured that we own the lecture content, but having them recorded does not sit easily with everyone. I don’t think we are all getting sacked, I mean who would mark the exams?
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

https://twitter.com/leftiestats/status/1626665794477207552?s=46&t=5eCF0RfSA41UPWiBriYI8A

I don't like the Scottish Greens a great deal, but it'd be funny if they could squeeze SCon into 4th place at the next Holyrood election.
  • Options

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

I don't like the Scottish Greens a great deal, but it'd be funny if they could squeeze SCon into 4th place at the next Holyrood election.
    14% of the vote is nothing to sneeze at. That must be by far the strongest Green vote across the UK.

• Options

Foxy said:

We are always assured that we own the lecture content, but having them recorded does not sit easily with everyone. I don’t think we are all getting sacked, I mean who would mark the exams?
    I'm surprised they say that. They employ you to do the work, and it's normal practice generally for the employer to own IP in anything written by the employee as part of that employee's duties. Unis were supposed to be more gentlemanly (so to speak) but I gather this has changed in recent years.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

14% of the vote is nothing to sneeze at. That must be by far the strongest Green vote across the UK.

Having the Sindy string to their bow has to be of help I assume. In rUK they only have environmentalism (which all the big parties are getting into) and far leftism.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

Partly because it is actually commensurate with the results in bottoms on seats, unlike FPTP. But by the same token, it has much more impact. What was the last time the EGs had power over Tory policy comparable to the LDs and then the DUP?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

Having the Sindy string to their bow has to be of help I assume. In rUK they only have environmentalism (which all the big parties are getting into) and far leftism.
    No point voting Green in England even if you want to, at least in a GE. Wasted vote. So the English Green vote is down for that reason.
  • Options

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

Unlikely unless they win FPTP seats.

Bear in mind too that at the 2026 Holyrood elections the Tories will likely be in opposition and more likely to get protest vote while the SNP will still be in government at Holyrood and Labour will likely be in government at Westminster
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited February 2023
    Best prices - Next FM

Robertson 5/4
    Forbes 10/3
    McAllan 10/1
    Brown 12/1
    Yousaf 12/1
    Cole-Hamilton (Lib Dem) 14/1
    Denham 18/1

Sarwar (Lab) 40/1

Ross (Con) 100/1
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

I'm surprised they say that. They employ you to do the work, and it's normal practice generally for the employer to own IP in anything written by the employee as part of that employee's duties. Unis were supposed to be more gentlemanly (so to speak) but I gather this has changed in recent years.
    Mine is an Honorary contract with the Uni. It seems honorary means unpaid!

With the casualisation of the university workforce I am not surprised if the Uni keeps the lectures year after year. Hence the importance of slipping things in like: "These findings are likely to be obsolete in 2024 when the outcomes of Trial X on drug Y are released"

Hard to rerun that lecture indefinitely.
  • Options

“No connection with PSG”

When they say that, do you actually believe it?
    Apparently Sky's reporter has explained the takeover in detail and affirms this is separate to PSG deal
  • Options
    Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

Lots of pro-independence voters give their second vote to the Greens.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

No point voting Green in England even if you want to, at least in a GE. Wasted vote. So the English Green vote is down for that reason.
    The voters of Brighton Pavilion and Bristol West might disagree.

I expect the English Green vote to be up next week too thanks to Corbynites defecting from Labour after his deselection
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

The voters of Brighton Pavilion and Bristol West might disagree
    Oh sure, but generally it's true. Those are very special seats.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Mine is an Honorary contract with the Uni. It seems honorary means unpaid!

With the casualisation of the university workforce I am not surprised if the Uni keeps the lectures year after year. Hence the importance of slipping things in like: "These findings are likely to be obsolete in 2024 when the outcomes of Trial X on drug Y are released"

Hard to rerun that lecture indefinitely.
    When I started in software, many of my colleagues deliberately wrote obscure code to make them harder to sack. Those people were rightly described as arseholes.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    edited February 2023
    kle4 said:

My deeply cynical suspicion of them is that they're not really all bothered about independence, but pay some lipservice to the concept because they found there was a bit of an open goal niche for them to occupy with it, especially with the Holyrood list vote component.

I also find them irritating in the way they are a sort of SNP-lite wannabe, like that civ in the Culture who really really want to be the Culture but also think they're slightly better than the Culture (is it the GFCF or suchlike?).

In party political analogies it's probably not one that gets made very often to be fair, but I am cynical about everything.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

[ FPTP ]
    🟡 SNP 43% (-1)
    🔴 LAB 30% (+2)
    🔵 CON 17% (-1)
    🟠 LD 8% (-)

[ PR ]
    🟡 SNP 32% (-)
    🔴 LAB 27% (+3)
    🔵 CON 16% (-2)
    🟢 GRN 14% (+1)
    🟠 LD 9% (-1)

Though in the 2019 Euro elections the Greens did well under PR, as of course did the Lib Dems and BXP. When their votes count a lot of people don't like the 2 main parties much.
This discussion has been closed.