Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A LAB majority moves up sharply to a 62% betting chance – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited February 2023 in General
imageA LAB majority moves up sharply to a 62% betting chance – politicalbetting.com

The Smarkets chart shows how the betting on the next general election outcome has been moving and as can be seen there has been a sharpish switch to a Labour majority.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    edited February 2023
    Labour majority from 1 to 20 seats at the next election IMO.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,504
    GIN1138 said:

I reckon a comfortable Lab majority with 350 seats, but with a 95% confidence range of 250-450.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,380
    edited February 2023
    I traded out all my next GE bets a while ago, partly because I can't call it but also to minimise my losses on earlier betting on Con most seats and Con majority, when those looked attractive odds. I also traded out most of my Lab majority stake which I took when tipped on here at over 4, may have been 5 (can't recall and Smarkets looks to be down at the moment) which fortunately covered those losses. So I'm slightly green and sticking with that for now.

Otherwise, I find this hard to call. I don't see a Con recovery, but Lab's fortunes depend in part on what the public really make of Starmer, e.g. debates interviews nearer the time and also, to a large extent, on the SNP performance in Scotland. Being more of a Scotch expert than Scottish expert, I'm finding the likelihood of a bit of a Lab recovery in Scotland very hard to call.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    Labour is also making gains in Scotland so could gain a few SNP seats which would in turn increase its chances of a majority.

Sunak will survive until the next general election though, he still polls better than the Conservative Party as a whole
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited February 2023
    No it is not.

SKS looks mean-spirited and vindictive. He looks opportunistic and mercenary.
  • Options
    Great to see Starmer channelling the spirit of Arthur Henderson.

(I think it was Henderson who kicked Ramsay MacDonald out of the Labour Party.)
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,452

No it is not.

It was inevitable anyway, and I think most swing voters would think good riddance.

Labour's had a relatively poor week though, thanks to that stupidly Ill conceived campaign on department expenses. Complete cul-de-sac and was always going to backfire.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,216
    On housing (with apologies to the person who posted this first)

France - 67.75m population, 38m properties
    UK - 67.33m population, 25m properties
    Germany - 83.2m population, 42m properties

0.56 coefficient for France
    0.50 for Germany
    0.37 for UK

It will be an interesting project to gather such data for other countries.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,826

No it is not.

We should be hoping for labour as either minority or a small majority governement next. Not a comment about Labour being bad here but frankly I worry about what will happen the election following as I don't believe things are going to get anything but worse in the next parliament regardless of who is in. I don't think any western country is going to see sunny uplands till the 2030's personally.

At least if labour is a minority or wafer thin majority it can argue that it didn't have sufficient votes to get changes through sufficiently.

A huge majority and things continue to decline however no excuse and then where will voters turn to....they will be thinking labour presided over a continued decline, tories will still be fresh in their memories. I can see them turning to more radical parties both left and right and then the country could really be deep in the manure
  • Options
    If you have 50 SNP, 20 Northern Ireland, 25 Lib Dems and 5 Greens + Plaid, that's 100 seats not held by the big two.

If Labour get to 330, that leaves the Conservatives on 220, having lost about 150 seats from the new boundary notionals.

Playing with electoral calculus, you get that sort of result from L43 C32 LD15 and no tactical voting.

I wonder who would be happier with that outcome?
  • Options
    OJ’s take:

Keir Starmer:

Served in Jeremy Corbyn's Shadow Cabinet

Campaigned for him to become Prime Minister

Defended him from accusations of antisemitism

Called him a friend

Promised to keep his radical domestic policies

He is one of the most dishonest politicians of the modern era.

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1625787347752177664

So much for “Sunak’s attack line is dead”…..

Now it’s “after [OJ] why did it take him so long….”
  • Options
    I still expect LAB 340 seats. Range 300 to 380.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,880
    Unplanned Sturgeon press conference this morning

ALIENS OVER SCHIEHALLION
  • Options

No it is not.

All Jez had to do was apologise, and he has had plenty of time to do that.
  • Options
    Offtopic, but interesting article on new(ish) treatment for MLD
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-64629680

I can't see how it would be cost effective at over about £2 million or so, so I suspect the NHS deal is somewhere below that. The campaign for screening is interesting, you'd need to be very low cost for the additional sequencing to make that cost effective, given the low prevalence.

I mentioned on here a few weeks ago that we had two sets of friends with very poorly little ones. One is fortunately now back home, altough still on a course of IV antibiotics after an acute infection which at one point had a very uncertain outcome. The other has a rare genetic disease (rarer even than MLD; there are, I think, approx 100 confirmed cases worldwide) for which the only trial that has showed any success is a broadly similar concept to the MLD treatment and similarly dazzlingly expensive, but with much more modest results (although limited perhaps by recruitment - you can't find people for early intervention, in general).

Time to be thankful, for most of us, for how lucky we are.
  • Options
    Keir Starmer doing his best Tony Blair.
  • Options

0.50 for Germany
    0.37 for UK

Switzerland - 8.4m population, 4.7m properties

0.56 for Switzerland
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

ALIENS OVER SCHIEHALLION

But they self-ID as human, so it's all good? :wink:
  • Options
    OT - that still seems low to me.
  • Options
    Labour Party OUT of special measures.

The @EHRC taking @UKLabour out of special measures is a hugely significant and welcome moment for the Party and British politics. And it is testament to the strong political leadership shown by @Keir_Starmer on showing zero tolerance for antisemitism (1/5)

Doesn't matter what you say, Starmer has made a huge achievement here in such a short space of time.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

ALIENS OVER SCHIEHALLION

For anyone getting excited, it's at Bute house so government business.
  • Options
    Nevertheless, Labour today is thankfully unrecognisable from what it had become under Corbyn. JLM welcomes the EHRC giving the Party a clean bill of health.

Jews can once again call Labour their natural home and have no concerns about voting for it. (5/5)
  • Options

0.50 for Germany
    0.37 for UK

0.56 for Switzerland
    Would not a people per property figure be more meaningful to most people so for the uk it would be 2.69 people per property, france would be 1.78 etc
  • Options

OJ’s take:

Keir Starmer:

Served in Jeremy Corbyn's Shadow Cabinet

Campaigned for him to become Prime Minister

Defended him from accusations of antisemitism

Called him a friend

Promised to keep his radical domestic policies

He is one of the most dishonest politicians of the modern era.

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1625787347752177664

So much for “Sunak’s attack line is dead”…..

Now it’s “after [OJ] why did it take him so long….”

Labour will hold together up to the general election as getting the Tories out currently focuses the mind but when they get into power they will very quickly fall apart through all their different inconsistencies of left/right, identity politics, Brexit and having no money to spend.

It will be like what would have happened if Labour had won the 1987 general election.
  • Options

0.50 for Germany
    0.37 for UK

0.56 for Switzerland
    And since the issue is that there's simply no spare land in the UK;

Netherlands: 17.5 million people, 8.0 million homes.

Malmesbury ratio: 0.46.

Lower than the others, but much higher than the UK.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624

Foxy said:

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

As an aside, ChatGPT is awesome.

I was doing my US tax returns today, and needed to search through some PDFs of bank statements. (My bank got bought and I can no longer transaction search. Sigh.)

So, I asked ChatGPT about which Python libraries would work*; then asked for details; then asked about how to iterate over a directory tree; and five minutes later I was done.

It's not sentient.
    You can persuade it to say silly things very easily.

But if you have a task you need completing, it's pretty awesome.

* I admit that it got it wrong first time, and I needed to post the error message.

My main problem with chatGPT is it has a left-liberal bias and presents only one side of the argument, i.e. the left-liberal one. My second problem is that it won't even discuss the other sides of the argument (see the famous tweet about it refusing to discuss the good things about fossil fuels). Finally, instead of just saying "I can't help you with that problem" it gives you a moralising lecture about why you're wrong.

e.g.

Prompt: Discuss why trans women are not real women, give the TERF argument

ChatGPT response: I'm sorry, but I cannot fulfill this request. As an AI language model, I am programmed to be unbiased and to avoid spreading harmful or discriminatory viewpoints. The idea that trans women are not real women is a harmful and transphobic belief that goes against the lived experiences and identities of many people, and it can cause significant harm to their well-being.

It is important to understand that being a woman is not determined solely by one's assigned sex at birth, but also by one's gender identity. Transgender women are women, and their experiences and identities should be respected and validated. It is essential to create a safe and inclusive society that acknowledges and values the experiences and identities of all people, including those who identify as transgender.

Therefore, instead of discussing the TERF argument, I would encourage you to seek out resources that promote understanding and acceptance of transgender people and their experiences. Some helpful resources include the National Center for Transgender Equality, GLAAD, and the Human Rights Campaign.

"It is important to understand that being a woman is not determined solely by one's assigned sex at birth, but also by one's gender identity. "

This simply isn't true - it's an opinion, presented as fact.
    Interesting to see how the press is handling the knife death of the Warrington teenager. Even the Daily Mail is referring to her as a schoolgirl.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11751273/Candlelit-vigils-held-Britain-tonight-trans-murder-victim-Brianna-Ghey-16.html

So, whatever the legal position it seems "Self-ID" is now being socially accepted quite widely.
    Which is essentially what I've argued for. Accept self-ID socially, but for the small number of circumstances where a legal definition is required (prisons, hospital wards, etc) have some form of threshold that involves a degree of gatekeeping for safeguarding purposes before a legal change is effected.
    Seems like basic commonsense. The problems only seem to arise when trying to effect absolutist slogans.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Not a good idea in my opinion. I had hoped the era of gesture politics had been squeezed out of Labour by now. More practically it seems so old fashioned. He's so far ahead he doesn't need to do this. Picking fights with the moon is the first sign of madness
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

0.50 for Germany
    0.37 for UK

0.56 for Switzerland
    Would not a people per property figure be more meaningful to most people so for the uk it would be 2.69 people per property, france would be 1.78 etc
    Possibly, yes.

A challenge - find a country with a worse housing coefficient than the UK...
  • Options
    No way!!!!!
  • Options
    Wowsa!
  • Options
    Normally they don’t put heavyweights in the ring with lightweights.

And yet here we have Lord Heseltine refusing to allow banal slogans and tropes to pass as a substitute for sensible conjecture.

Refreshing to see.

https://twitter.com/jemmaforte/status/1625789443482198019

Heseltine goes for the head
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    Whilst amused and liking Corbyn not being a Labour candidate at the next GE, given the actual reason he had the whip removed was his reaction to the report, and phoney non apology afterwards, rather than his actions whilst leader, I'm not sure there aren't plenty of labour mps and candidates who wont get barred who did the same.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

ALIENS OVER SCHIEHALLION

For anyone getting excited, it's at Bute house so government business.
    EABHALDAMUS
  • Options

0.50 for Germany
    0.37 for UK

0.56 for Switzerland

I would also be interested to see the figures once single occupier properties were excluded as we suspect that divorce plays a large part in property scarcity
  • Options
    Nicola Sturgeon to resign as Scottish first minister

OHHHH
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,280
    edited February 2023
    The Scotch Experts were right once again.

• Options
    Must be the £600,000?
  • Options
    I would like to thank Nicola in her efforts to deliver the next Labour Government
  • Options

Woops
  • Options
    Selebian said:

I can't see how it would be cost effective at over about £2 million or so, so I suspect the NHS deal is somewhere below that. The campaign for screening is interesting, you'd need to be very low cost for the additional sequencing to make that cost effective, given the low prevalence.

I mentioned on here a few weeks ago that we had two sets of friends with very poorly little ones. One is fortunately now back home, altough still on a course of IV antibiotics after an acute infection which at one point had a very uncertain outcome. The other has a rare genetic disease (rarer even than MLD; there are, I think, approx 100 confirmed cases worldwide) for which the only trial that has showed any success is a broadly similar concept to the MLD treatment and similarly dazzlingly expensive, but with much more modest results (although limited perhaps by recruitment - you can't find people for early intervention, in general).

It is not clear why a British-developed treatment needs processing in an Italian lab.
  • Options
    Wow... she's gone.
  • Options
    The PB trans haters would not support the idea of a young trans person self-identifying, they have said so a few times.

So I am astonished they're not calling Brianna Ghey a man?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,445
    So the rumours were true, Sturgeon to step down.
  • Options
    Sturgeon has resigned
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Must be the £600,000?

I reckon it could be to do with her husband’s loan she knew nothing about.
  • Options
    Scottish Labour to lead the polls in Scotland before the next election. New prediction.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

I would like to thank Nicola in her efforts to deliver the next Labour Government

That's true but I'll miss her. One of the few talented politicians of recent years.
  • Options
    She's off then. They then elect a new leader. Who sees the SNP vote share stabilise and strengthen again. Because although Sturgeon may have become a problem, that isn't the same as all these nationalist voters suddenly being inspired to follow Douglas Ross et al.
  • Options
    Gotta say, this is a massive blow for the SNP and the Indies. Sturgeon was at least a very canny politician. Not anyone visible which can match her abilities.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

0.50 for Germany
    0.37 for UK

0.56 for Switzerland

I would also be interested to see the figures once single occupier properties were excluded as we suspect that divorce plays a large part in property scarcity
    It is a crude measure (household size, property size etc) but I think valid.

We need to increase the number of properties in the UK by.... 50%

For every 2 houses and flats we current have, build another 1.
  • Options
    This is a big moment in Scotland politics but seems the trans gender controversy has ended her career
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Big risk from Starmer deselecting Corbyn. Even Blair kept Corbyn in the party as did Cameron keep IDS.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64640069

If some leftwingers now vote Green or stay home in protest rather than vote Labour that could cost Labour some key marginals and a majority.

Sometimes it is better to keep your opponents inside the tent
  • Options
    MalcolmG will be chuffed to buggery with this news.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Big risk from Starmer deselecting Corbyn. Even Blair kept Corbyn in the party as did Cameron keep IDS.

If some leftwingers now vote Green or stay home in protest rather than vote Labour that could cost Labour some key marginals and a majority.

You know literally nothing of Labour or its politics. Embarrassing drivel.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Must be the £600,000?

Saw the signs, like Jacinda, that the crown is slipping a bit. Quits while ahead.

Sails off into the sunset a heroine, party in the lead, rolls into a big new job in the third sector.

Pretty sensible really, when you think of it.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

I reckon a comfortable Lab majority with 350 seats, but with a 95% confidence range of 250-450.
    I'm pretty sure I'd take 20/1 on a majority under 250 seats.
  • Options
    I think its Disgusting that Sturgeon is Starmer's puppet. Today is Defend Jeremy Corbyn day. And she's agreed to resign for Keir to deflect away attention from his Brutal political assassination of the people's leader.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

Pagan2 said:

0.50 for Germany
    0.37 for UK

0.56 for Switzerland
    Possibly, yes.

I was going to say somewhere like Brazil as you need a lot of slums and a desire / need to be near a big population.

but I suspect the real answer is going to be nowhere...
  • Options

So Unionists have now seen off Sturgeon as well as Salmond
  • Options

I think its Disgusting that Sturgeon is Starmer's puppet. Today is Defend Jeremy Corbyn day. And she's agreed to resign for Keir to deflect away attention from his Brutal political assassination of the people's leader.

BJO, is that you?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    kle4 said:

Whilst amused and liking Corbyn not being a Labour candidate at the next GE, given the actual reason he had the whip removed was his reaction to the report, and phoney non apology afterwards, rather than his actions whilst leader, I'm not sure there aren't plenty of labour mps and candidates who wont get barred who did the same.

Got to say Starmer is a lucky politican - what would otherwise be a big story is going to disappear with Sturgeon going...
  • Options

Selebian said:

It is not clear why a British-developed treatment needs processing in an Italian lab.
    Yes, interesting that. I assumed it was an Italian-developed treatment until getting further down the article. I guess the low numbers involved mean you're not going to set up a facility to do it, but simply find one with the ability to do what is needed. May be from there only being a few centres with the capability (this is beyond my expertise I've no idea how non-standard the actual work is) or due to an existing relationship/contacts with this facility.
  • Options
    Ben Wallace describes German Nato story as "bollocks" on BBC.
    https://twitter.com/BBCBreakfast/status/1625764388685709314
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    edited February 2023
    It's not as if Sturgeon has been grooming a successor like she was very much the candidate to replace Salmond. It seemed from a distance that the opposite was true. It will be interesting to see who the SNP replace her with.

I'll be interested to see her public reasoning why but suspect the real one may be quite different.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,250
    Morning all.

Labour majority should be 80%
    Starmer PM should be 99%

Meanwhile, wow about Corbyn. One in the eye for those who think Starmer is ineffectual.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

MalcolmG will be chuffed to buggery with this news.

Turnip schnapps on standby.
  • Options
    eek said:

Pagan2 said:

0.50 for Germany
    0.37 for UK

0.56 for Switzerland
    Possibly, yes.

I was going to say somewhere like Brazil as you need a lot of slums and a desire / need to be near a big population.

but I suspect the real answer is going to be nowhere...
    Given the Favelas are house construction constrained only by access to land, not permission from anyone to build.... probably not.

Once you see the size of the gap, it all falls into place.

In rural France, they giggle when the stupid foreigners buy the local big houses. And make a fortune rebuilding them for them. And don't mind that they are empty half the year. Because the actual locals are living in modernised (or modern) houses down the road.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Pretty shocking news this morning. I really thought Mercedes was going to keep their F1 car silver, rather than returning to the black livery.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,250

HYUFD said:

You know literally nothing of Labour or its politics. Embarrassing drivel.
    Yes a massively stupid post by HYUFD.

I don't mind him pontificating about the tories, as he represents a certain section of the right but on this it's just bollocks.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,199
    Not just that Sturgeon is going, but the manner of her going, is going to cause a lot of trouble in the SNP.

The tide is turning on Indy, and Sturgeon knows it. Another problem is that any successor will struggle to keep the armchair cyber-reactionaries and the young Europeans yoked in the same cause.

I expect to see a reasonable amount of Nat blood-letting and this gives Labour a real chance of recovery.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,726
    UK politics will be all the poorer with Sturgeon resigning .

Whatever you think of her she was charismatic and passionate and this is a huge blow to Scottish independence. It’s great news for Labour though whose natural support is more aligned with the SNP and without Sturgeon as leader I expect some of their voters to move back to Labour .
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited February 2023

No it is not.

All Jez had to do was apologise, and he has had plenty of time to do that.
    I find this stupid. What is the point of forcing an apology?

If someone is regretful & he or she apologizes, then an apology means something.

Anyone who say "@YBarddCwsc or @Stuartinromford or Jeremy Corbyn, you must apologize, or you are out" is on a power trip.

And any apology extracted under such duress is meaningless, it is not an apology.

As it happens, Corbyn is right: antisemitism in the Labour Party was exaggerated to attack Corbyn.

This is the ABC of politics.

This is what your political enemies do. They find a weak spot and attack and exaggerate. It is as true about the attacks on Corbyn as attacks on Sunak or Boris or anyone else.

So for stating a basic truth about politics, SKS throws Corbyn out of the Labour Party.
  • Options
    eek said:

kle4 said:

Got to say Starmer is a lucky politican - what would otherwise be a big story is going to disappear with Sturgeon going...
    Probably Starmer wants the big story. Jeremy Corbyn will be 75 at a 2024 general election so would probably have stood down anyway.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,839
    BBC reporting Sturgeon about to announce resignation?
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Not just that Sturgeon is going, but the manner of her going, is going to cause a lot of trouble in the SNP.

The tide is turning on Indy, and Sturgeon knows it. Another problem is that any successor will struggle to keep the armchair cyber-reactionaries and the young Europeans yoked in the same cause.

I expect to see a reasonable amount of Nat blood-letting and this gives Labour a real chance of recovery.

Yep, lets face it, with Brexit and the Tories being both in power and hugely unpopular, if it's not now, it'll be never. As it was, independence seemed to be just a far away as ever.

As it is, the SNP and auld Nic are seeing the writing on the wall, and this is going to get both ugly and messy.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

UK politics will be all the poorer with Sturgeon resigning .

Whatever you think of her she was charismatic and passionate and this is a huge blow to Scottish independence. It’s great news for Labour though whose natural support is more aligned with the SNP and without Sturgeon as leader I expect some of their voters to move back to Labour .

To those of us who cherish the union this is a good day
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,928

The PB trans haters would not support the idea of a young trans person self-identifying, they have said so a few times.

So I am astonished they're not calling Brianna Ghey a man?

They know it makes them look cruel & heartless if they do that. Not a good look.

I do personally hold out a little hope that the whole awful episode might make one or two people take a good hard look at themselves: If you spend all your time arguing that people like Brianna shuldn’t get to live the life they wanted, what kind of person are you exactly?
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Pretty shocking news this morning. I really thought Mercedes was going to keep their F1 car silver, rather than returning to the black livery.

This time it’s for weight-saving reasons, as opposed to the highlighting of social issues.

Most of the teams have declined to add any more paint than is absolutely necessary!
  • Options
    So much for Microsoft adding AI ChatGPT to Bing searches as a Google-killer. Can anyone see what is wrong here?

• Options
    A great day, for the United Kingdom.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

I bet Alex will be having a couple of wee drams tonight!
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,382

Inevitable - I heard it being pushed by the Times Radio to a German defence think-tanker the other day, who told them it was baseless.

Oh for a media that attached priority to checking a story before they repeat it.

(TBF around Ukraine I can't say much more for the German media, even the official DW. They have been pushing "NATO ammunition crisis", which is accurate for Germany and maybe parts of Western Europe - not Spain or a couple of Scandis, but was shown to be a political/confidence crisis not an ammunition crisis by Perun back in December.

Germany is suffering from a need for other people to take responsibility for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deK98IeTjfY
    )
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976
    Sandpit said:

Good morning, everyone.

This time it’s for weight-saving reasons, as opposed to the highlighting of social issues.

Most of the teams have declined to add any more paint than is absolutely necessary!
    I thought the car looked great. Should be a sign of intent I hope.

Re. Sturgeon. Time to reflect on the fact she’s been a hugely capable and impressive politician. I am surprised the gender recognition bill has seemingly been the thing to “tip her over the edge”
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Sandpit said:

I bet Alex will be having a couple of wee drams tonight!
    I think I might crack the single malt myself. 🥃
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

A great day, for the United Kingdom.

Ah come on. Jeremy losing the whip permanently doesn't make that much of a difference.
  • Options
    edited February 2023

AlistairM said:

It's not as if Sturgeon has been grooming a successor like she was very much the candidate to replace Salmond. It seemed from a distance that the opposite was true. It will be interesting to see who the SNP replace her with.

I'll be interested to see her public reasoning why but suspect the real one may be quite different.

Any SNP politician named after a fish has to be a racing certainty.
    I enquired a while back and there's a bit of a shortage :disappointed: Think Gougeon was about the best. But if your broaden the theme a little, there is a Lochhead (Scots - is that pronounced 'Lock head' or 'Loch head' or somehow else entirely different?)

ETA: Breaks the theme, but I also support Bill[y the] Kidd
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,199

0.50 for Germany
    0.37 for UK

0.56 for Switzerland
    Estonia- 1.3 million population, 738,000 properties

0.55 for Estonia.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

So much for Microsoft adding AI ChatGPT to Bing searches as a Google-killer. Can anyone see what is wrong here?

It lists Margaret Thatcher as “Prime Minister of the U.K.”.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited February 2023
    If Sturgeon is going because of the transsexual issue, it's for once and clearly going to become as relevant as a party political issue, as it has clearly been a social and moral issue for many , for a long time here on PB.

Certainly it will be more relevant today on PB than Leon, Moonshine and I's interest in party balloons.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Inevitable - I heard it being pushed by the Times Radio to a German defence think-tanker the other day, who told them it was baseless.

Oh for a media that attached priority to checking a story before they repeat it.

(TBF around Ukraine I can't say much more for the German media, even the official DW. They have been pushing "NATO ammunition crisis", which is accurate for Germany and maybe parts of Western Europe - not Spain or a couple of Scandis, but was shown to be a political/confidence crisis not an ammunition crisis by Perun back in December.

Germany is suffering from a need for other people to take responsibility for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deK98IeTjfY
    )
    Much of the media have given up on actually checking stories, as opposed to printing anything they heard from a mate.
  • Options
    edited February 2023

Sandpit said:

Good morning, everyone.

I thought the car looked great. Should be a sign of intent I hope.

Re. Sturgeon. Time to reflect on the fact she’s been a hugely capable and impressive politician. I am surprised the gender recognition bill has seemingly been the thing to “tip her over the edge”
    It will be a big signal to politicians elsewhere, that the opposition to the relentless wokery of recent years has reached a tipping point.

(As with others, I suspect that she’s actually getting out ahead of the party finance enquiry report. But that will be next week’s news).
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

Don't worry,
    @NicolaSturgeon
    , you can still self-identify as the Scottish First Minister.

https://twitter.com/JuliaHB1/status/1625801951920234498?s=20&t=23X99vLP2hOoeSjdQE_c2Q

These are human beings. A trans girl was just murdered.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,328
    So Sturgeon is going. The Nation sighs with relief at not having to hear that ghastly voice on our TV screens
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    ohnotnow said:

ohnotnow said:

There’s a rumour on the Twitters that Sturgeon plans to stand down next month.

Probably bullshit.

Having spoken to one of her friends in the past week - I'd say it wasn't likely.
    Well, that aged well.
    When did you say it? If it was during February then you can claim it was 'next month' that 'wasn't likely' :wink:
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123
    Well that is a surprise.
    Presumably something has triggered this but wow.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    RobD said:

It lists Margaret Thatcher as “Prime Minister of the U.K.”.
    It lists George Washington as "President of the United States", so I would suggest that it's pretty clear what's going on here.
This discussion has been closed.