Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Somerton & Frome – the next CON by-election defence? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,429

It should be noted that google's Project Loon balloons were oddly-shaped at altitude (i.e. not like weather balloons). Although Loon got cancelled, there are loads of groups doing balloon-related research, including rockaloons (rockets launched from balloons)

This will be a mixture of Chinese deliberate launches, and balloons left over from people/orgs doing research. In other words, a typical hysteria.

https://www.wdbj7.com/2020/07/07/googles-project-loon-high-altitude-balloons-spotted-over-virginia-and-carolinas/

That is certainly one plausible explanation. But again it does not explain why the US and Canadian governments/militaries are making these cryptic and provocative statements

Indeed quoting their own pilots saying “they have no visible means of propulsion”

Why would they embarrass their own pilots in this way? I don’t see an obvious answer
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited February 2023
    If you follow the unconventional mass emotion-can-create-reality hypothesis, ofcourse, this might also look a bit similar to the early 1950's in America.

First a large number of clearly documented Russian incursions, like the Chinese ones just now, for instance, followed by a large number of clearly still unsolved ones.
  • Options
    DJ41aDJ41a Posts: 174
    edited February 2023
    Unless the Alaska and Yukon UFOs flew long distances over North American land before they were shot down, or long distances over Russian land but the Russian government either didn't notice or didn't mind, geography makes it unlikely they came from China.

• Options
    Leon said:

It should be noted that google's Project Loon balloons were oddly-shaped at altitude (i.e. not like weather balloons). Although Loon got cancelled, there are loads of groups doing balloon-related research, including rockaloons (rockets launched from balloons)

This will be a mixture of Chinese deliberate launches, and balloons left over from people/orgs doing research. In other words, a typical hysteria.

https://www.wdbj7.com/2020/07/07/googles-project-loon-high-altitude-balloons-spotted-over-virginia-and-carolinas/

That is certainly one plausible explanation. But again it does not explain why the US and Canadian governments/militaries are making these cryptic and provocative statements

Indeed quoting their own pilots saying “they have no visible means of propulsion”

Why would they embarrass their own pilots in this way? I don’t see an obvious answer
    "No visible means of propulsion" simply means what it says. No external engines visible. Basically, not a powered aircraft.

It is not really all that mysterious. All balloons and gliders have no visible means of propulsion.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    Leon said:

If they are scooting along at 500 mph and making tight turns, then 'no visible means of propulsion' is significant. If they are drifting along in the wind (like a balloon) then it isn't.

China will send over some saucer shaped ones next.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,060
    Leon said:

Apols if you've already done so, but can you link directly to the 'cryptic and provocative' statements being made it the US and Canadian governments/militaries? I mean direct quotes, not CNN etc.
  • Options
    Can't say that 'could' + The Scotsman inspires a huge amount of confidence in the likelihood of an outcome.

What is 'note-0staff'?
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,147
    DJ41a said:

Unless the Alaska and Yukon UFOs flew long distances over North American land before they were shot down, or long distances over Russian land but the Russian government either didn't notice or didn't mind, geography makes it unlikely they came from China.

Not that I'm an expert, but I would imagine you would choose to launch them from a vessel nearer the area you were wishing to surveil.
  • Options
    Whatever your opinions of “UFOs” this is all deliciously freaky and mad now

🚨A Montana Congressman just confirmed on Fox that a UFO was sighted in Montana, & the airspace was reopened as our best planes could not shoot it down in the dark.

The operation will continue in the morning.

What is going on?

https://twitter.com/zainab4peace/status/1624656497698344960?s=46&t=GlVQ3ncoNtXBF21HX2cQ2A
  • Options
    DJ41a said:

1) They could easily be launched from ships.

2) There was an article last week saying that as winds go in different directions and velocities at various altitudes, balloons could roughly 'steer' by using the relevant winds to head in the direction they wanted to go.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509
    DJ41a said:

I am not sure that the Russian Government is in a position to 'mind' China doing anything at the present time.

When I heard of the original spy balloon, my first thought was that it's probably something that China has been doing for ages, and for some news management reason, the US decided to take notice and shoot one down now.
  • Options

Leon said:

Apols if you've already done so, but can you link directly to the 'cryptic and provocative' statements being made it the US and Canadian governments/militaries? I mean direct quotes, not CNN etc.
    Read the thread
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,883
    DJ41a said:

I'm left with two thoughts - North Korea (perhaps some new fangled thing of theirs) or the emerging superpower that is Greenland (the Inuit have long been suspected (well, for at least the last few seconds) of having technological capabilities beyond the rest of the world).

More seriously, the normal air flow brings upper level airflow from the Pacific over Alaska and then into Canada.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Silly to be pleased by something like this.

https://twitter.com/johnrentoul/status/1624720755144511491?s=61&t=0jx1-xXDZ9Fpytr94GHRNg

But I am.

As on so many things, I am right. We should not be paying Johnson's legal fees and it is outrageous that he expects it and that Sunak has signed off on it.

I have been asked to consider being an independent councillor in my local area on the grounds that (a) the existing ones are neither use nor ornament; (b) I'm not obviously insane; and (c) I have opinions.

Husband is encouraging me. But I am not at all sure about this. I have quite enough to do without this as well. So am still pondering.

On a more serious note, what is notable about the place is that a lot of the institutions which were created a few decades back were done so by local people getting together, raising the money and building what was needed. Once they started being run by remote councillors & paid staff, the care for them went downhill. They need reviving but the elected representatives and their staff are the ones who are the obstruction or just neglectful. There is a lesson there tho' I am not quite sure what it is.

Unfortunately, a lot of local government isn't particularly local and doesn't govern much.

Largely because we try to do it on the cheap. Bigger units ought to generate efficiency savings (which everyone is desperate for) but also create distance between the main office and the people on the ground. And since the days of Maggie at least, there's been horror at the idea letting local councils raise more taxes to spend more, even if the voters would prefer it.

I'd say go for it; it needs to be done and it's better done well. But the constraints are infuriating.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Well, there's only one way to find out if the 1950's parapsychological hypothesis is correct.

A lot of people in smalltown USA will be thinking or feeling about Chinese / UFO issues just now, just like they were in the early 1950's with both the Russians and Sci-Fi, so if the hypothesis is correct, there should also now be a wave of genuinely unsolvable physical sightings.

A scientific test, if you like.

Over to Leon and Moonshine, to take up the reins.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,133
    Cyclefree said:

On a more serious note, what is notable about the place is that a lot of the institutions which were created a few decades back were done so by local people getting together, raising the money and building what was needed. Once they started being run by remote councillors & paid staff, the care for them went downhill. They need reviving but the elected representatives and their staff are the ones who are the obstruction or just neglectful. There is a lesson there tho' I am not quite sure what it is.

Clarkson's Farm, Season 2

He came up with a plan to replace the EU subsidies they no longer get, create jobs, help out all the local farmers and improve the land.

And the council, who appear to be total muppets, said no.

It is not a good advert for local council jobsworths.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,776
    DJ41a said:

Recap:
    1. South Carolina balloon (shot down, Chinese),
    2. Colombia balloon (no word of what happened to that one),
    3. Alaska UFO (shot down),
    4. Yukon UFO (shot down).

According to Canadian defence minister Anita Anand, the Yukon object was CYLINDRICAL.

(Dig the Liz Truss-style necklace.)

Five minutes of becoming an extreme expert online have brought me to the view that weather balloons are all roughly SPHERICAL, except when they're ascending, when some can be teardrop-shaped. AFAIAA none of them are cylindrical.

Their payloads can be, you numpty.
  • Options

Well, there's only one way to find out if the 1950's parapsychological hypothesis is correct.

A lot of people in smalltown USA will be thinking or feeling about Chinese / UFO issues just now, just like they were in the early 1950's with both the Russians and Sci-Fi, so if the hypothesis is correct, there should also now be a wave of genuinely unsolvable physical sightings.

This is definitely the biggest UFO flap since the 1950s. Bigger than any of those in some ways
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

they could identify no identifiable propulsion system

Wow.

Kinda like a balloon even...
    To be fair, it's pretty hard to get a good look at something when you're travelling at 500mph relative to it - and balloon payloads can be a long way below the ballon itself.

There is very little haze or dust at high altitudes but... the sun is much brighter so there is a very large part of the field of vision that is dazzling and causes afterimages even with your visor down. Also you can have difficulty focusing on objects at high altitudes due to empty field myopia which throws off depth perception and visual acuity. In summary, visually acquiring and discriminating bogies at 50,000+ is not as easy as one would think particularly with a large delta-V as you observe.

It would be relative easy to acquire and range IR targets in that regime but the F-22 never got IRST.
    How slowly can you travel at that altitude, and what sort of turning radius do you have ?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,903
    What foetid, slimey, sewer do people like Warburton emanate from?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

The Tory party?
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Leon said:

Whatever your opinions of “UFOs” this is all deliciously freaky and mad now

🚨A Montana Congressman just confirmed on Fox that a UFO was sighted in Montana, & the airspace was reopened as our best planes could not shoot it down in the dark.

The operation will continue in the morning.

What is going on?

https://twitter.com/zainab4peace/status/1624656497698344960?s=46&t=GlVQ3ncoNtXBF21HX2cQ2A

As mentioned, if the hypothesis is correct, the number of as-yet-not-unexplainable physical and material sightings should increase, the larger the number of people that think or feel that they're real. More UFO news = more genuine UFO's (?)
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Read the thread
    I have. I saw nothing from governments / militaries that seemed cryptic or provocative. So which are you referring to?
  • Options

Btw, cases like this and the recent O'Mara conviction make you wonder about the quality of the vetting procedure for standing for Parliament.

I'd always thought it was difficult to get on the list but it seems that in some places all you need is a mate on the Panel.

I absolutely despair.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,962
    Leon said:

This is definitely the biggest UFO flap since the 1950s. Bigger than any of those in some ways
    Purely speculatively, since PB has become ET today...

My guess is that most spacefaring "life" in the universe is artificial rather than biological, because of the extreme times and environments involved. It's easy for an artificial lifeform to exist in a body capable of travelling a thousand year distance, existing in a variety of gravities and atmospheres, or the coldness of space. Far less easy to adapt our own bodies to such conditions.

So that means aliens are here because they know that we're close to AGI, and they're here to witness what they regard as a part of the natural evolution process, the singularity, or the "birth" of a new civilisation so to speak, as a new artificial life form comes into being.

The question is whether or not we become part of that new civilisation or if we're just the meat sacks that get left behind in an evolutionary backwater, as chimpanzees are to us now.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

My guess is that most spacefaring "life" in the universe is artificial rather than biological, because of the extreme times and environments involved. It's easy for an artificial lifeform to exist in a body capable of travelling a thousand year distance, existing in a variety of gravities and atmospheres, or the coldness of space. Far less easy to adapt our own bodies to such conditions.

So that means aliens are here because they know that we're close to AGI, and they're here to witness what they regard as a part of the natural evolution process, the singularity, or the "birth" of a new civilisation so to speak, as a new artificial life form comes into being.

The question is whether or not we become part of that new civilisation or if we're just the meat sacks that get left behind in an evolutionary backwater, as chimpanzees are to us now.
    They are after ChatGP
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    as yet not explainable phenomena, that should read below , obviously.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,903

Sean_F said:

The Tory party?
    They’re found in all the parties.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Cyclefree said:

He came up with a plan to replace the EU subsidies they no longer get, create jobs, help out all the local farmers and improve the land.

Local council jobsworths gonna jobsworth.

My sister is in the police she sent me a series of screenshots on WhatsApp yesterday of how they've asked her to do a risk assessment, and fill in a form, because she deigned to ask for a new mouse.

I shit you not.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Utterly infuriating.
  • Options
    Huge amount of hyperbole posted on here this morning

@Heathener's bullshit being the worst.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

https://twitter.com/johnrentoul/status/1624720755144511491?s=61&t=0jx1-xXDZ9Fpytr94GHRNg

But I am.

As on so many things, I am right. We should not be paying Johnson's legal fees and it is outrageous that he expects it and that Sunak has signed off on it.

I have been asked to consider being an independent councillor in my local area on the grounds that (a) the existing ones are neither use nor ornament; (b) I'm not obviously insane; and (c) I have opinions.

Husband is encouraging me. But I am not at all sure about this. I have quite enough to do without this as well. So am still pondering.

Do it. You'd be great.
  • Options
    maxhmaxh Posts: 828

DJ41a said:

FPT

@ydoethur and others...

Some quick things on class, illuminative refs:

1. 19 Sep 2021 piece in the Heil: "Knife gangs are breaking into hospital wards to finish off their stab victims". Look at how the medic sneers about how she doubts that the injured prole "yearned" to study for an anatomy degree. An even more instructive bit is in the next paragraph. Look at how she drools with cruel delight in having to go by what the prole says, even if she believes (almost certainly correctly) that it isn't true, and notes that because she is obliged to go by it she leaves the guy waiting for six hours.

Oh dear. Did you have to wait? Well I had to go by what you told me.

There's a heck of a lot about both class and British specificity there.

2. Read this tweet by the headteacher of a state secondary school. Key words: "It’s pretty clear, if you don’t want your child to have the vaccine, fine. The rest has got nothing to do with you".

I'm not trying to start a discussion about the rights and wrongs of the 2021-22 mass vaccination campaign. The point is the way this guy thinks and talks. Here's how: it's not for proles to have views on social questions, and if they do have their own views then it's definitely not for them to encourage each other to do X or Y unless they hold permission from those who stand above them in rank. Otherwise they're a disgrace with ideas way above their station.

The guy is practically a cardboard-cutout Stupidity Merchant. In the right job for it, too.

Anybody got any similar stories from somewhere outside of Britain and heavily British-influenced cultures? Hit me with the best you've got.

3. Alan Moore, the writer. I hope I'm not the only one here who has read his novel "Jerusalem". IMO it easily equals and probably outdoes Dostoevsky's "Crime and Punishment" in how it describes the life of a mind.

Moore's book says a lot about class. There is a place where he touches on the attitude of medics towards the proles in Northampton, but it is as if he flinches back in horror and even he doesn't sufficiently want to go there.

(Unfortunately I couldn't find my notes - otherwise I'd post the page number.)

In other circumstances Moore would easily be considered Nobel Prizeable for Literature...but he isn't, because he's a prole. Or more particularly, he's not just a prole but a prole with completely the wrong attitude - a prole who suffers from drapetomania.

Instead the prize went to the complete and utter charlatan Bob Dylan.

1. is unmitigated gibberish. Start to finish. You assume that medics can't be proles, which is exactly the flipside of your complaint about the medic's belief that proles don't want to be medics. Which is nonsense anyway, it's the victim's status as revenge seeking victim not as prole which is the point. Which would work equally well if it were Lord Lucan being brought in after a knife fight in Annabel's. 2. Agree. 3. "Adult" comic books, F off and grow up.
    Hang on. Perhaps I’m missing some context (I hope I am) but 2 reads very much like @DJ41a supporting the idea that to try to persuade others of (legitimate) concerns about kids being vaccinated, it is reasonable to impersonate a public institution and try to force your agenda by deception. Then @beinndearg agrees.

Unless I’m missing something (please enlighten me), you’re both bonkers. This is dangerous stuff.

What exactly is it that this headteacher has done wrong in this case? As far as I can see it he has just called out a fraudulent deception.
  • Options
    maxh said:

DJ41a said:

FPT

@ydoethur and others...

1. 19 Sep 2021 piece in the Heil: "Knife gangs are breaking into hospital wards to finish off their stab victims". Look at how the medic sneers about how she doubts that the injured prole "yearned" to study for an anatomy degree. An even more instructive bit is in the next paragraph. Look at how she drools with cruel delight in having to go by what the prole says, even if she believes (almost certainly correctly) that it isn't true, and notes that because she is obliged to go by it she leaves the guy waiting for six hours.

2. Read this tweet by the headteacher of a state secondary school. Key words: "It’s pretty clear, if you don’t want your child to have the vaccine, fine. The rest has got nothing to do with you".

I'm not trying to start a discussion about the rights and wrongs of the 2021-22 mass vaccination campaign. The point is the way this guy thinks and talks. Here's how: it's not for proles to have views on social questions, and if they do have their own views then it's definitely not for them to encourage each other to do X or Y unless they hold permission from those who stand above them in rank. Otherwise they're a disgrace with ideas way above their station.

The guy is practically a cardboard-cutout Stupidity Merchant. In the right job for it, too.

Anybody got any similar stories from somewhere outside of Britain and heavily British-influenced cultures? Hit me with the best you've got.

3. Alan Moore, the writer. I hope I'm not the only one here who has read his novel "Jerusalem". IMO it easily equals and probably outdoes Dostoevsky's "Crime and Punishment" in how it describes the life of a mind.

Moore's book says a lot about class. There is a place where he touches on the attitude of medics towards the proles in Northampton, but it is as if he flinches back in horror and even he doesn't sufficiently want to go there.

In other circumstances Moore would easily be considered Nobel Prizeable for Literature...but he isn't, because he's a prole. Or more particularly, he's not just a prole but a prole with completely the wrong attitude - a prole who suffers from drapetomania.

1. is unmitigated gibberish. Start to finish. You assume that medics can't be proles, which is exactly the flipside of your complaint about the medic's belief that proles don't want to be medics. Which is nonsense anyway, it's the victim's status as revenge seeking victim not as prole which is the point. Which would work equally well if it were Lord Lucan being brought in after a knife fight in Annabel's. 2. Agree. 3. "Adult" comic books, F off and grow up.
    Hang on. Perhaps I’m missing some context (I hope I am) but 2 reads very much like @DJ41a supporting the idea that to try to persuade others of (legitimate) concerns about kids being vaccinated, it is reasonable to impersonate a public institution and try to force your agenda by deception. Then @beinndearg agrees.

Unless I’m missing something (please enlighten me), you’re both bonkers. This is dangerous stuff.

What exactly is it that this headteacher has done wrong in this case? As far as I can see it he has just called out a fraudulent deception.
    I'm almost certain, now, that @beinndearg is the new sockpuppet of IshmaelZ.

If the glove fits.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

(Snip)
    I take the absolute opposite view. There's a good graphic showing how life can spread through the galaxy, even with sublight travel. I can't immediately find the graphic, but the following gives some similar background. It would take *just* a million years to colonise to the other side of the galaxy.

https://www.open.edu/openlearn/science-maths-technology/science/physics-and-astronomy/how-long-would-it-take-colonise-the-galaxy

IMV the problem with robotics is the replication. Current robotics is sh*t - we couldn't even get a drill down into Mars (IIRC when they had a problem on the Moon during Apollo, the astronauts just pressed down on the drillhead).

Whereas humans are really, really good at replication.

So if we get to the tech level where generation ships can work, it'd be humans going out. And we're a lot nearer that than we are getting robots that can land on any planet and self-replicate.

But - and it's a big but (fnarr, fnarr), the humans we end up with might not be humans as we recognise. See The Expanse and other scifi for examples of how small changes to things like gravity may really change the way humans are.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Read the thread
    I have. I saw nothing from governments / militaries that seemed cryptic or provocative. So which are you referring to?
    Why should I spend a fucking minute spoon feeding you, if you are literally too dim to follow links

Just this once. CNN official Defence/White House correspondents quoting Pentagon sources

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/11/politics/unidentified-object-alaska-military-latest

“F-35 fighter jets were sent up to investigate after the object was first detected on Thursday, according to a US official. Kirby told reporters that the first fly-by of US fighter aircraft happened Thursday night, and the second happened Friday morning. Both brought back “limited” information about the object.

But the pilots later gave differing reports of what they observed, the source briefed on the intelligence said.

Some pilots said the object “interfered with their sensors” on the planes, but not all pilots reported experiencing that.

Some pilots also claimed to have seen no identifiable propulsion on the object, and could not explain how it was staying in the air, despite the object cruising at an altitude of 40,000 feet.

The conflicting eyewitness accounts are partly why the Pentagon has been unable to fully explain what the object is, the source briefed on the matter said.”

Now it is possible that CNN is making this shit up out of broad cloth for a laugh, but then they would never get another Pentagon/White House briefing ever again, and they might indeed get zapped by angry F35 pilots, and the careers of these senior journalists would be over

Alternatively this is CNN accurately quoting Pentagon sources. I’m afraid I don’t have the telephone numbers of the actual pilots for you to call

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Re; Leon's point on the closure of Montana airspace, this is also exactly the kind of place in the US that people were most preoccupied about UFO's in in the 1950's, too, and produced by far the largest proportions of both the non-credible and genuinely mysterious sightings, overall.
  • Options
    maxh said:

DJ41a said:

FPT

@ydoethur and others...

Nothing whatsoever.
    DJ41 gives every impression of a troll with no actual opinions, trying to shit stir using whatever the controversy of the day happens to be. Best ignored, rather than trying to parse their tangled arguments.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Read the thread
    Why should I spend a fucking minute spoon feeding you, if you are literally too dim to follow links

Just this once. CNN official Defence/White House correspondents quoting Pentagon sources

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/11/politics/unidentified-object-alaska-military-latest

“F-35 fighter jets were sent up to investigate after the object was first detected on Thursday, according to a US official. Kirby told reporters that the first fly-by of US fighter aircraft happened Thursday night, and the second happened Friday morning. Both brought back “limited” information about the object.

But the pilots later gave differing reports of what they observed, the source briefed on the intelligence said.

Some pilots said the object “interfered with their sensors” on the planes, but not all pilots reported experiencing that.

Some pilots also claimed to have seen no identifiable propulsion on the object, and could not explain how it was staying in the air, despite the object cruising at an altitude of 40,000 feet.

The conflicting eyewitness accounts are partly why the Pentagon has been unable to fully explain what the object is, the source briefed on the matter said.”

Now it is possible that CNN is making this shit up out of broad cloth for a laugh, but then they would never get another Pentagon/White House briefing ever again, and they might indeed get zapped by angry F35 pilots, and the careers of these senior journalists would be over

Alternatively this is CNN accurately quoting Pentagon sources. I’m afraid I don’t have the telephone numbers of the actual pilots for you to call
    Even if it's 100% accurate, that's neither provocative or cryptic, unless you're very easily 'provoked' or terminally dim. Neither is it from the government. Which is what you said.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,955
    Scott_xP said:

Cyclefree said:

Local councils usually have little discretion in face of nation rules.
  • Options
    maxh said:

DJ41a said:

FPT

@ydoethur and others...

The wording "none of your business" does not strike you as insultingly patronising?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

But I am.

I'm an Independent councillor - one of seven of us locally. It does make a difference in draining the swamp somewhat.
  • Options

maxh said:

DJ41a said:

FPT

@ydoethur and others...

I'm almost certain, now, that @beinndearg is the new sockpuppet of IshmaelZ.

If the glove fits.
    You have been using the Internet for, what, 25 years and have not grasped the very simple but too hard for you concept of what a sock puppet is? Think about a puppet show. What happens in one?

No interest in participating in your nasty little deprecated by site rules doxxing attempts. You had a few drinks and confessed to a liking for Depeche Mode, LOL. Osmonds? Bay City Rollers?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,538

This balloon business is beginning to be reminiscent of America in the 1950's. A lot of cold war paranoia, and thus a large number of sightings, including both incorrect and others still yet unexplained to this day, but over-dismissed and over-corrected against that backdrop, altogether making up a generally confused and uncertain picture.

It should be remembered that two of the major crises at the time: the bomber gap (1955) and missile gap (1958-60) were both very political creations, and also later proved to be absolute rubbish.
    Though generated by Soviet propaganda (flying planes in a loop at May Day etc).

What took politicians time to catch up with was that aerial recon (first the U2 and then satellites) was generating 100% accurate intelligence - for certain things. They were thinking in terms of the days when spying was a matter of some bloke passing documents for a pile of cash - and it could easily all be bullshit.
  • Options
    edited February 2023

maxh said:

DJ41a said:

FPT

@ydoethur and others...

The wording "none of your business" does not strike you as insultingly patronising?
    I’ll take you at face value, assume you read the whole tweet and the screenshots, and that you were referring to the comment ‘the rest has got nothing to do with you’ - I don’t see anywhere him saying ‘none of your business’.

It’s not patronising at all. It’s saying that people have no business impersonating a public institution and wasting a huge amount of parents’ and clinicians’ time filling
    out a bogus form. There are legitimate ways to communicate the cost benefit analysis of kids vaccines, Covid or otherwise. This isn’t one of them.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

(Snip)
    I take the absolute opposite view. There's a good graphic showing how life can spread through the galaxy, even with sublight travel. I can't immediately find the graphic, but the following gives some similar background. It would take *just* a million years to colonise to the other side of the galaxy.

https://www.open.edu/openlearn/science-maths-technology/science/physics-and-astronomy/how-long-would-it-take-colonise-the-galaxy

IMV the problem with robotics is the replication. Current robotics is sh*t - we couldn't even get a drill down into Mars (IIRC when they had a problem on the Moon during Apollo, the astronauts just pressed down on the drillhead).

So if we get to the tech level where generation ships can work, it'd be humans going out. And we're a lot nearer that than we are getting robots that can land on any planet and self-replicate.

But - and it's a big but (fnarr, fnarr), the humans we end up with might not be humans as we recognise. See The Expanse and other scifi for examples of how small changes to things like gravity may really change the way humans are.
    Yep, I love The Expanse.

If my theory is wrong, and us meat sacks do end up colonising the galaxy, I suspect it will be with the aid of gene editing and/or cybernetic body modifications to create post-humans that can exist in a variety of different environments.

For all I know, the future might end up with us all looking like the Borg. (It's fun to speculate about these things!)
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Read the thread

Even if it's 100% accurate, that's neither provocative or cryptic, unless you're very easily 'provoked' or terminally dim. Neither is it from the government. Which is what you said.
    it’s not “provocative” to quote US Air Force pilots as viewing UFOs that have “no apparent means of propulsion” and exercising unprecedented aerospatial capabilities?

And this is the fucking CNN White House correspondent writing all this, you stupid inert Butt-plug of Dumbness. Go run another marathon
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    stodge said:

DJ41a said:

I'm left with two thoughts - North Korea (perhaps some new fangled thing of theirs) or the emerging superpower that is Greenland (the Inuit have long been suspected (well, for at least the last few seconds) of having technological capabilities beyond the rest of the world).

More seriously, the normal air flow brings upper level airflow from the Pacific over Alaska and then into Canada.
    Submarine launch?
  • Options
    maxh said:

maxh said:

DJ41a said:

FPT

@ydoethur and others...

I’ll take you at face value, assume you read the whole tweet and the screenshots, and that you were referring to the comment ‘the rest has got nothing to do with you’ - I don’t see anywhere him saying ‘none of your business’.

It’s not patronising at all. It’s saying that people have no business impersonating a public institution and wasting a huge amount of parents’ and clinicians’ time filling
    out a bogus form. There are legitimate ways to communicate the cost benefit analysis of kids vaccines, Covid or otherwise. This isn’t one of them.
    No, just wrong. Impersonating the NHS is a seriously stupid and evil thing to do. But "the rest has nothing to do with you" is not a way of saying this. It is saying something completely different, stupid and patronising.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,360
    On a more positive note it has been confirmed that England’s men will be facing the Australian men’s team and not the women who treated NZ less well than your average roadkill yesterday. That is some team.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,026
    edited February 2023
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Wow.

To be fair, it's pretty hard to get a good look at something when you're travelling at 500mph relative to it - and balloon payloads can be a long way below the ballon itself.

There is very little haze or dust at high altitudes but... the sun is much brighter so there is a very large part of the field of vision that is dazzling and causes afterimages even with your visor down. Also you can have difficulty focusing on objects at high altitudes due to empty field myopia which throws off depth perception and visual acuity. In summary, visually acquiring and discriminating bogies at 50,000+ is not as easy as one would think particularly with a large delta-V as you observe.

It would be relative easy to acquire and range IR targets in that regime but the F-22 never got IRST.
    How slowly can you travel at that altitude, and what sort of turning radius do you have ?
    Wholly dependent on the aircraft. The F-22 has a lot of power, a lot of wing and vectored thrust so it will be just fine.

I've been to 50,000+ in the F-14 (to get my M2.0 patch) and it would theoretically stall at 220kts IAS but I never subjected that to empirical verification as it's a long way down. We had sustained turn radius at M0.9 of about 1 mile. Possibly remembered that incorrectly but the order of magnitude will be right-ish. Again, the F-22 will be considerably better.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    There seems to be more openness on this topic than before from the Pentagon. Prior to the release of information a couple of years ago, you just didn't get Pentagon press conferences on this sort of thing that included uncertainty.

Maybe they just genuinely don't know, but that in itself is considered less of a security and prestige risk if and when it arises, than it was in the 1950's or so.
  • Options
    Strippers, Spies and Russian Money: Dispatches 10pm Channel 4.

The extraordinary story of Russia's covert efforts to corrupt British democracy and politics, pouring millions into the Tory Party's coffers in the years before invading Ukraine
    https://www.channel4.com/programmes/strippers-spies-russian-money-dispatches
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Read the thread

it’s not “provocative” to quote US Air Force pilots as viewing UFOs that have “no apparent means of propulsion” and exercising unprecedented aerospatial capabilities?

And this is the fucking CNN White House correspondent writing all this, you stupid inert Butt-plug of Dumbness. Go run another marathon
    We need to hear the direct quote, not something that's been mangled and potentially misquoted by journalists wanting the DRAMATIC.

"no apparent means of propulsion” might just mean they could not see any engines. It does not mean it did not have engines, nor that it was actually being propulsed.

I am not arguing that this is not ALIENS. Just that there are many, much less DRAMATIC and more prosaic alternatives - and one you ignore because you are interested in the DRAMATIC like the drug-addled fool you are.

And you do this every time. It is always the DRAMATIC, remote answer. Never the much more obvious but uninteresting one.

I did a marathon yesterday, thanks. A slow but quite enjoyable one that ended 100 metres from my favourite Turkish restaurant. So I undid much of the good the run had done. ;)
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,958
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

(Snip)

Yep, I love The Expanse.

If my theory is wrong, and us meat sacks do end up colonising the galaxy, I suspect it will be with the aid of gene editing and/or cybernetic body modifications to create post-humans that can exist in a variety of different environments.

For all I know, the future might end up with us all looking like the Borg. (It's fun to speculate about these things!)
    There's a youtube channel I dip into from time to time which goes into space colonisation quite a bit. The guy has a few series on the subject from slightly different aspects (the travel, the colonisation, possible conflicts etc) https://www.youtube.com/@isaacarthur3209/playlists
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    As always most of PB misses the point.

For several years now the formal US govt position is that it has a ufo problem in restricted military airspace. But that it has NEVER fired upon those objects.

This week a very obviously rogue balloon with solar and comms floated across North America and was belatedly taken down by the air force. The whole time it was in the air it was referred to as a “Chinese balloon”.

Since then we are now at 3 (4 including Colombia) other objects in the sky, described as being of unknown origin and with quite different characteristics to the earlier balloon. Two of them have now been shot down, despite both US and Canadian govts saying that they don’t know what they are or their origin. We’ve also been treated to real time updates of them, despite them being so small and remote no one would ever see them from the ground.

So why the abrupt change of policy, after years of letting various UAPs buzz military assets with no consequence and little in the way of public comment?

Whatever these turn out to be, it’s a fascinating story and one that might have significant consequences in the future even if prosaic. Such attention on these, how will you excuse doing nothing next time a swarm of 500G objects interferes with a carrier group?
  • Options
    At this point, we are either on the cusp of World War Three, or alien invasion. This is a legit quote from Chinese media

• Options
    BREAKING: China detects (UFO) Unidentified flying object in waters near the coastal city of Rizhao and preparing to shoot it down, Chinese media Global Times reports

https://twitter.com/theinsiderpaper/status/1624736719802101764?s=61&t=S3IjRBwU3javX3NYSqOzkg
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

But I am.

Go for it. You'd be good at it.
    Yes - this.

@Cyclefree one suggestion - ration yourself to one scalp for corruption/uselessness per week. Otherwise you will be the only councillor left inside 10 minutes. Think of it like a box of chocolates….
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Leon said:

At this point, we are either on the cusp of World War Three, or alien invasion. This is a legit quote from Chinese media

More of the chinese population believing in genuine UFO's = more genuine UFO's there too, perhaps ?
  • Options
    Call me Hauptfuhrer Hysterical, but I reckon this Alien story is even more interesting than the potential for a by-election in Frome
  • Options
    KeystoneKeystone Posts: 127

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

(Snip)

I like Sci-fi as much as the next computer geek.

But it looks like our bodies are not adapted to either low G environments (the bone mass deterioration from orbit means the first astronaut to land on Mars would instantly break his or her hip) or exposure to solar radiation outside the Van Allen belt.

There is a reason why we're relying on robots at the moment.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,232
    edited February 2023
    53 bottles of scotch exported every second:

https://www.scotch-whisky.org.uk/newsroom/scotch-whisky-exports-2022/

(I had to check the maths on this since it sounded unbelievable - it is indeed true based on the 1.67bn bottles exported annually)
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Leon said:

Call me Hauptfuhrer Hysterical, but I reckon this Alien story is even more interesting than the potential for a by-election in Frome

If they arrive in Frome, the local council will surely put on a good welcoming party and show.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,240
    edited February 2023
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

The Tory party?
    They’re found in all the parties.
    But since you’re talking about a Tory MP I thought I‘d help you out.

Followers of parties who start bleating about where the ghastly representatives of said parties come from bring to mind folk who turn up at A&E with unfortunate items stuck up their bottoms - I’ve no idea how it got there!
  • Options
    Keystone said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

(Snip)

But it looks like our bodies are not adapted to either low G environments (the bone mass deterioration from orbit means the first astronaut to land on Mars would instantly break his or her hip) or exposure to solar radiation outside the Van Allen belt.

Exoskeletons.

Till we develop artificial gravity, and then we are made. Crank it up to 1g on spaceships, down to 1g on superearths.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995

The stories coming out of Turkey are heartbreaking. But to move onto politics for a bit: the Turkish government gave amnesties to building contractors who broke building regulations. Now, after an earthquake destroyed many supposedly-earthquake proof (*) buildings, they're arresting them.

There are obvious questions that might prove problematic for Erdogan and the AKP.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-64615349

Presidential and parliamentary elections are due in June. The polls for the presidential election are quite close between Erdogan and Askener :
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2023_Turkish_presidential_election

The parliamentary polls are slightly less close, althoigh potentially closing
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2023_Turkish_parliamentary_election

(*) It's actually really difficult to guarantee a building or structure is earthquake proof from very powerful quakes, which is why you see collapse in places like the US and Japan.

Erdogan came to power substantially on the back of the Izmir earthquake.
    He has then imposed an "earthquake levy", to ensure all new buildings are compliant.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

DJ41a said:

Not that I'm an expert, but I would imagine you would choose to launch them from a vessel nearer the area you were wishing to surveil.
    American in the 60s tried the D21 supersonic drone - faster than a Blackbird spy plane - to spy on China.

One attempt failed when the drone didn’t do the 180 degree turn and kept on going. Ended up in Russia. When found, the Soviets were scratching their heads for quite a while. Weird shape, made out materials they didn’t understand - high temperature plastics included for stealth…..
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    DJ41a said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Most of those activities are de rigeur in Frome....

You're sounding increasingly desperate in your justifications of the Conservative Party

Mark's an honest Tory.
    That he may be but my point is about sounding increasingly desperate in justifying them. Perhaps I'm wrong about that. xx

MM aside, there really is nothing left by which to justify this Conservative Government.

I sense that quite a few punters, blinded by recency bias, are approaching this all wrong. It's time to believe the polls. It's not about 'might a NOM be likely?' or about 'precedence' or about Sunak 'staging a recovery.'

They are going to be on the receiving end of the full wrath and vengeance of the electorate.

The real question is just how low the tories will sink. I've said 100-150 but it might be fewer.
    You may be right and I'm not altogether comfortable with it.

In my (now considerablle) experience, Governments operate best when there is a decent Opposition. I can't see the SNP providing that.

Personally I'd like to see the iniquitous FPTP system abolished and some form of voting system established that is more suited to a modern democracy. There is zilch chance of that if Labour has a 400 seat majority.
    I just don't see that.

I know that HY is clutching at straws and only uses his best poll and ignores ALL the rest to reach his conclusion, but even though he isn't showing his working out I suspect he is right.

The Conservatives are smart, hungry to win, and are busy rolling the pitch for a close contest. Wild populism might not turn enough heads during times of economic turmoil, but if things start look brighter they may gain some traction. Add to that, Labour's poor vote economy, piling on votes in the wrong places. Then the Conservatives, if all goes to plan could preside over one enormous voter disenfranchisement scandal, (sorry, we "misunderestimated" how many young voters would be turned away, but no matter) an issue the Labour Party and LDs are yet to understand.

I see no reason why 1992 can't be repeated.
    Sorry - you lost me at “…smart and hungry to win…” They’re neither. They are not particularly successful at anything at the moment and seem exhausted. And I don’t think that Labour will have to rely on the younger vote that never materialised anyway.
    The Conservative Party may be hopeless in Government but they are a fine-tuned election winning machine. Winning elections and keeping their clients content is their raison d'etre. And their nitrous oxide boost to see them over the line? Boris Johnson, voter suppression and Lee Anderson.
    That’s bullshit. They are not an “election winning machine”. Between 1996, when Major lost his majority, and 2017 they held a workable majority for a mere two years. Two years in a generation. And then in 2019 you had the Corbyn factor, and even he came close to No 10 in 2017. There is no evidence that Johnson or Anderson will make a jot of difference beyond your contingent conjecture, nor voter ID.
    Odd way you use the word "evidence".

The polls have the next GE wrong.

Suggested poll blurb that might bring some more reliable "evidence". (Why? Because voting happens after campaigning.)

"Many in Britain feel that high levels of immigration are an important political issue. The Conservatives are expected by some commentators to put this issue front and centre during the next general election. Labour, on the other hand, while they criticise the current Conservative government for its economic policies, which they feel have contributed to the cost of living crisis, are not expected to do the same. They are expected to concentrate more on the rights of transsexuals than on immigration. If there were a general election tomorrow, how would you vote: CON, LAB, LD, REF, GRN?"

The million point Labour lead in the polls may well turn out to be built on sand.
    That blurb doesn't produce "evidence" at all though, does it?
  • Options
    Keystone said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

(Snip)

Then one mass issues have largely been dealt with by diet and exercise. The real question is whether the low gravity on Mars is high enough to be equivalent to living in 1g for health effects.
  • Options
    Leon said:

They aren’t aliens. If they were they would have to have the ability to travel at supraluminal speeds and their technology would be so far advanced from ours that it would render the mere word 'technology' meaningless. As such they would not be getting splashed by F-22/AIM-9X.

Take more trammies, pull your underpants out of your crack, chill and watch Best in Hell.
  • Options
    I for one am having another gin, and maybe a laksa

BREAKING REPORT: Mystery airborne object REMAINS OVER MONTANA - DOD is waiting for fighter jets to 'get eyes on it'...

https://twitter.com/chuckcallesto/status/1624748433776029699?s=61&t=0a70W3Mjpm0kLGB4vUUniA
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    They might not be alien or human, ofcourse, but something relating to psychological-material relationships and phenomena that we don't yet understand.

Or they might be any number of combinations of these.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

They aren’t aliens. If they were they would have to have the ability to travel at supraluminal speeds and their technology would be so far advanced from ours that it would render the mere word 'technology' meaningless. As such they would not be getting splashed by F-22/AIM-9X.

Take more trammies, pull your underpants out of your crack, chill and watch Best in Hell.
    Clearly, I get high on this shit, the same way you get a juvenile buzz out of your deliberately amplified bike exhausts, so I’ll continue to sniff the coke of crazy, if it’s all the same
  • Options

maxh said:

maxh said:

DJ41a said:

FPT

@ydoethur and others...

No, just wrong. Impersonating the NHS is a seriously stupid and evil thing to do. But "the rest has nothing to do with you" is not a way of saying this. It is saying something completely different, stupid and patronising.
    If you were to read it in the way you’re suggesting I’d agree with you. But in the full context of the tweet and screenshots, rather than DJ41a’s edit, it’s clear what ‘The rest’ refers to.

No matter, rabbit hole, I’m digging myself out.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Leon said:

BREAKING: China detects (UFO) Unidentified flying object in waters near the coastal city of Rizhao and preparing to shoot it down, Chinese media Global Times reports

https://twitter.com/theinsiderpaper/status/1624736719802101764?s=61&t=S3IjRBwU3javX3NYSqOzkg

The US studiously avoids saying they are Chinese, when it had no hesitation on last weeks balloon). The Chinese say explicitly the objects are not Chinese (look we have them too), when it didn’t hesitate to apologise about last weeks balloon.

Fascinating stuff even if they turn out to be prosaic.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Wow.

Wholly dependent on the aircraft. The F-22 has a lot of power, a lot of wing and vectored thrust so it will be just fine.

I've been to 50,000+ in the F-14 (to get my M2.0 patch) and it would theoretically stall at 220kts IAS but I never subjected that to empirical verification as it's a long way down. We had sustained turn radius at M0.9 of about 1 mile. Possibly remembered that incorrectly but the order of magnitude will be right-ish. Again, the F-22 will be considerably better.
    The F22 certainly has pretty impressive characteristics.
    I was just wondering how close and how slowly it might realistically be able to orbit an object at that altitude to get a look at it.
  • Options

Keystone said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

(Snip)

Then one mass issues have largely been dealt with by diet and exercise. The real question is whether the low gravity on Mars is high enough to be equivalent to living in 1g for health effects.
    I'm pretty sure it is a live issue and NASA is still funding research. They're looking at pressure pads inside the suits. Because the problem is the 18-24 months travelling there.

But I haven't looked into it since Covid. It might have all sorts of practical benefits for elder care, if any investors were so minded.
  • Options
    The Tories seem to be trying to lose at this point.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

The stories coming out of Turkey are heartbreaking. But to move onto politics for a bit: the Turkish government gave amnesties to building contractors who broke building regulations. Now, after an earthquake destroyed many supposedly-earthquake proof (*) buildings, they're arresting them.

There are obvious questions that might prove problematic for Erdogan and the AKP.

Presidential and parliamentary elections are due in June. The polls for the presidential election are quite close between Erdogan and Askener :
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2023_Turkish_presidential_election

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2023_Turkish_parliamentary_election

(*) It's actually really difficult to guarantee a building or structure is earthquake proof from very powerful quakes, which is why you see collapse in places like the US and Japan.

He has then imposed an "earthquake levy", to ensure all new buildings are compliant.
    Which is one reason why the allegations the government deliberately let off contractors who built sub-standard structures is potentially so harmful to him.

In a very worrying way, it'd be interesting to see what happens if Erdogan did lose the presidency at an election. Would he simply stand down, or would he do a Trump?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Earthquake resistant reinforcing bar is much more expensive than standard rebar. Plus more of it is needed to ensure stability.

Skimming on the qualities and/or rebar densities is a depressingly common (and easy) of making money.

A standard Mafia manoeuvre in public sector contracts in southern Italy as well.
  • Options
    We were discussing yesterday how some men still believe rape isn’t possible in marriage.
    I was reading rape survivor Ellie Wilson’s Twitter account. It seems some men hold similar delusions about boyfriends.

https://twitter.com/ellieokwilson/status/1617963059418652674
    Comments like this make me want to scream. While I know they are likely just trolls, they are not the only ones who think this way. When news of what happened to me first broke, several people I knew were confused that I’d been raped by a boyfriend and saw it as lesser.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Leon said:

How can you say that? The Frome by-election will be held using AV. The returning officer issued a special directive, citing Bonar Law's Oxford convention from Mornington Crescent. Bearded men in their 40s and 50s who always wear the same clothes are going wild about it in gaming shops all over the country. They "know" the UFOs are only weather balloons, a figment of more credulous people's imaginations.

Meanwhile, here in the world of interesting stuff: UFO reports are now coming in in a rush: Montana in the USA, Qingdao in China.

It will be Russia soon. And Europe outside of Russia. And Iran.

And who knows, the Colombia one may have managed to get itself somewhere remarkable... Cuba? The Falklands? One of the Antarctica stations?

The pricking in my thumbs tells me this story is about to get huge.

No useful input anticipated from John Curtice or any of the spreadsheet boys...

• Options
    Leon said:

Perhaps the Tories could select one of the aliens as their new candidate.
  • Options
    Keystone said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

(Snip)

The main reason we're relying on robots is that it is massively costly to get from the Earth's surface to LEO, and robots are simply lighter than humans+life support.

But humans are so much more adaptable.

However I agree in one way: we have very little idea how well humans can live in different gravities. As one example, can we actually gestate viable babies in reduced gravities? It's why I think Blue Origin's idea for orbital settlements *may* be more workable than Musk's Mars plans. If you can't gestate and give birth on a planet, then your civilisation is essentially non-planetary anyway. Whereas orbital settlements can be engineered to be exactly like Earth - at a cost.

The research into gestation in low gravity is sparse and contradictory. It's a shame the Japanese centrifuge module for the ISS was abandoned, as we could have got lots of answers.
  • Options
    Leon said:

From the OP, Warburton is said to have:-
    used a forged document while applying for a bank loan
    used a frontman to conceal his business interests
    failed to declare a billionaire’s £25,000 donation in an apparent breach of election laws
    taken cocaine
    failed to register a six-figure loan from a Russian banker
    and "sexual misconduct" (whatever that means)

It sounds more exciting than some balloons.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,115
    Leon said:

I would have thought if we were at risk of alien invasion after a number of alien craft have been shot down we should be seeing alien fleets lining up over all major capitals? As it is I expect this is just China muddying the waters over 2 of their observation vessels were shot down over North America
  • Options

Leon said:

From the OP, Warburton is said to have:-
    used a forged document while applying for a bank loan
    used a frontman to conceal his business interests
    failed to declare a billionaire’s £25,000 donation in an apparent breach of election laws
    taken cocaine
    failed to register a six-figure loan from a Russian banker
    and "sexual misconduct" (whatever that means)

It sounds more exciting than some balloons.
    None of those are sackable offences for Tory MPs. What's the fuss about?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,293
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

I would have thought if we were at risk of alien invasion after a number of alien craft have been shot down we should be seeing alien fleets lining up over all major capitals? As it is I expect this is just China muddying the waters over 2 of their observation vessels were shot down over North America
    Do we need Boris Johnson back as World King to see off the alien invaders?
  • Options
    Keystone said:

Keystone said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

(Snip)

I'm pretty sure it is a live issue and NASA is still funding research. They're looking at pressure pads inside the suits. Because the problem is the 18-24 months travelling there.

But I haven't looked into it since Covid. It might have all sorts of practical benefits for elder care, if any investors were so minded.
    No one is currently talking about 1-2 year transfer times. This is because Senator Shelby has finally fucked off. Which means that the words “on orbit refuelling” can be spoken without a demand coming to have the person saying it fired.

NASA is looking at a nuclear engine - transfer time 45 days.

SpaceX is looking at on orbit refuelling (probably needed for nuclear as well) to brute force it with conventional propulsion.
  • Options
    This rings depressingly true.

Nikki Haley’s Woman Problem
    Ten years ago, her gender might even have been an advantage. But today she’s running at a time of maximal sexism in Republican politics.
    https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/02/12/nikki-haleys-sexism-2024-election-republicans-00082362
  • Options
    Keystone said:

dixiedean said:

Earthquake resistant reinforcing bar is much more expensive than standard rebar. Plus more of it is needed to ensure stability.

Skimming on the qualities and/or rebar densities is a depressingly common (and easy) of making money.

A standard Mafia manoeuvre in public sector contracts in southern Italy as well.
    "Earthquake resistant reinforcing bar"

I studied a little civil engineering, but I've never heard of that; I'd been under the impression that design was by far the most important criteria (even more so than concrete composition).

The standard way to 'save' money on concrete structures is to use cheaper concrete (where non-standard concrete is specified), and particularly, as you say, less rebar. In particular, reducing the depths of piles is a great way of reducing costs, and is very hidden.
  • Options
    I've just spent an enjoyable 10 minutes reading #ufotwitter. A very very deep rabbit hole to start down. I assume that at the bottom is the subterranean civilisation which has been hiding amongst us this whole time.
  • Options

Keystone said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

(Snip)

The main reason we're relying on robots is that it is massively costly to get from the Earth's surface to LEO, and robots are simply lighter than humans+life support.

But humans are so much more adaptable.

However I agree in one way: we have very little idea how well humans can live in different gravities. As one example, can we actually gestate viable babies in reduced gravities? It's why I think Blue Origin's idea for orbital settlements *may* be more workable than Musk's Mars plans. If you can't gestate and give birth on a planet, then your civilisation is essentially non-planetary anyway. Whereas orbital settlements can be engineered to be exactly like Earth - at a cost.

The research into gestation in low gravity is sparse and contradictory. It's a shame the Japanese centrifuge module for the ISS was abandoned, as we could have got lots of answers.
    The human body is pretty fragile, and is absolutely designed to work only in the environment we evolved in.

Six months in zero G causes astronauts to become significantly short sighted, even changing the shape of their eyeballs.

https://www.sciencealert.com/there-something-about-space-that-s-making-astronauts-short-sighted

My guess is that un-edited/un-enhanced humans wouldn't be capable of existing outside of Earth's environment for long, due to a myriad of other stuff we haven't discovered like the above eyesight problem. So we'll need to become post-human if we want to conquer the galaxy.

On the plus side, opticians will be doing a roaring trade if we ever do colonise Mars...

• Options
    edited February 2023

Keystone said:

dixiedean said:

"Earthquake resistant reinforcing bar"

I studied a little civil engineering, but I've never heard of that; I'd been under the impression that design was by far the most important criteria (even more so than concrete composition).

The standard way to 'save' money on concrete structures is to use cheaper concrete (where non-standard concrete is specified), and particularly, as you say, less rebar. In particular, reducing the depths of piles is a great way of reducing costs, and is very hidden.
    Shades of Robber Bolts….

Big problem in Peru - earthquake proof buildings. That aren’t.

IIRC the best methodology is Japanese - and requires special rebar arrangement and the whole building has to be designed and built right. Controlled flexibility etc.

Looked into this a little bit - family land there and talk of building on it.

Concrete is a science by itself. Get it right and it will outlast staggering forces - Troll B etc. Get it wrong and it is cheese. Soft crumbly cheese.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,115

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Boris and Will Smith I presume?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Biden is going to Poland next week where presumably Zelensky will rattle the mendicant's bowl in his direction while an aide screams IT'S THE UKRAINE GUY into Biden's ear.

Johnson must be gutted not to be horning in on that gig.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Wow - 4 likes. If this includes for the final sentence, about China muddying waters, the likers etc. should ask what other waters China may have exercised their capability to muddy the waters in, since say the end of 2019. Or maybe the locks weren't maintained well enough in the lab and there's nothing to see here?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,885
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

For the forged document to obtain a loan, a client of mine found himself sentenced to the Scrubs for 26 months.

This is like the dying years of the Major Government, but on steroids. Although in 1997 the Conservatives didn't have Brexit bonuses, a war with Russia, a Johnson redux and 30p Lee to save the day.

Major had much more authority and pondus than Sunak. He was pro-Europe, pro-trade and pro-stability. He also had a Cabinet behind him that was not packed full of incompetents, thugs and crypto-fascists.

Sunak is a political pygmy compared to Major, who had the thumping mandate of having won a general election with a record number of votes.

Ok, so Starmer is also a pygmy compared to Blair, but Labour didn’t win the 1997 election, the Tories lost it. On current form, Sunak’s government is going to lose far more spectacularly that Major’s did.

Major managed to retain 165 Tory seats. That would be an astonishing achievement if Sunak manages to turn this around and get even within the ballpark of that mighty figure.

Latest MRP:

Our new large MRP poll with @FindoutnowUK for @Telegraph shows #Labour 25% ahead and the Conservatives set to get fewer seats than the SNP. Details at:

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/blogs/ec_mrppoll_20230209.html

https://twitter.com/electcalculus/status/1623639165152772098?s=46&t=l6gkF4fesBN2abvCWfOHpA
    Are there any markets up for number of Tory seats at next GE yet, or is it only on the spread betting sites? (I closed my spread betting account).
    I believe Flynn has said the SNP isn’t interested in being the official opposition; I’m not sure whether this counts as an official statement but I’d approve of such a rejection of what would be a ridiculous charade. Would a parliament where Labour had 509 MPs be any more sustainable long term than one where they had a shaky minority government? Insofar as Labour would have a more than a don’t-frighten-the-voters manifesto at that point, I have a vision of a cartoon character swinging huge windmill punches at an opponent that isn’t there.
    There's also the point that the SNP can't very well be the OO on the rUK aspect of topics that are devolved and don't involve Barnett consequentials. Though the current set up vis a vis NI doesn't seem to bother Labour or the Tories.
    Thought we were all equal in the UK Carnyx and Scotland not a colony, how then can they not be the official opposition?
    Well, quite. Every time a Tory complains about the Scots choosing to vote the MPs they want to Westminster is another nail driven into the coffin of the concept of the UK, never mind Britishness.
This discussion has been closed.