Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Somerton & Frome – the next CON by-election defence? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited February 2023 in General
imageSomerton & Frome – the next CON by-election defence? – politicalbetting.com

Somerton and Frome news pic.twitter.com/UHjJKUsYRj

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Test
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,080
    For the forged document to obtain a loan, a client of mine found himself sentenced to the Scrubs for 26 months.

This is like the dying years of the Major Government, but on steroids. Although in 1997 the Conservatives didn't have Brexit bonuses, a war with Russia, a Johnson redux and 30p Lee to save the day.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Most of those activities are de rigeur in Frome....
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,969
    Would be such a certainty that the LDs might be inclined to not bother campaigning.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,288
    edited February 2023
    Will this guy resign?

The Party surely wouldn't want an election and will do everything it can to keep him place until the GE.

Will be a good chance of an LD pick up then though.
  • Options
    Judging by his actions so far, he’s not going to stand down. So, he’ll have to be charged, tried, convicted, sentenced and subjected to recall before any by-election takes place. Can’t see all that happening within the next two years.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The LDs. They’d win this, but then disappear again. The lack of a LD national recovery is befuddling. I guess they are just too far behind and Ed Davey is just a little too boring to attract attention.
  • Options
    edited February 2023

...and it would seem, the Conservative Party.
  • Options

Judging by his actions so far, he’s not going to stand down. So, he’ll have to be charged, tried, convicted, sentenced and subjected to recall before any by-election takes place. Can’t see all that happening within the next two years.

Yes, similar to Jared O’Mara in his brass neckery too.
  • Options

For the forged document to obtain a loan, a client of mine found himself sentenced to the Scrubs for 26 months.

This is like the dying years of the Major Government, but on steroids. Although in 1997 the Conservatives didn't have Brexit bonuses, a war with Russia, a Johnson redux and 30p Lee to save the day.

Major had much more authority and pondus than Sunak. He was pro-Europe, pro-trade and pro-stability. He also had a Cabinet behind him that was not packed full of incompetents, thugs and crypto-fascists.

Sunak is a political pygmy compared to Major, who had the thumping mandate of having won a general election with a record number of votes.

Ok, so Starmer is also a pygmy compared to Blair, but Labour didn’t win the 1997 election, the Tories lost it. On current form, Sunak’s government is going to lose far more spectacularly that Major’s did.

Major managed to retain 165 Tory seats. That would be an astonishing achievement if Sunak manages to turn this around and get even within the ballpark of that mighty figure.

Latest MRP:

Our new large MRP poll with @FindoutnowUK for @Telegraph shows #Labour 25% ahead and the Conservatives set to get fewer seats than the SNP. Details at:

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/blogs/ec_mrppoll_20230209.html

https://twitter.com/electcalculus/status/1623639165152772098?s=46&t=l6gkF4fesBN2abvCWfOHpA
  • Options

Only “most”?

Which activity isn’t de rigeur in Frome? Having two children?
  • Options

Despite the national polling it's obvious that in Somerton and Frome, and scores of similar seats where the LibDems are 2nd and Labour a long way behind, that the LDs will be the winner

This is a punishment beating election for the Tories and people will vote for the party which will remove the Tory.

Eg:

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,314

When in Frome...
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,253
    Cast-iron LibDem gain.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,118
    Happy Battle of the Herrings Day everyone. One for English fish lovers everywhere.
  • Options
    edited February 2023

You're sounding increasingly desperate in your justifications of the Conservative Party
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The LDs. They’d win this, but then disappear again. The lack of a LD national recovery is befuddling. I guess they are just too far behind and Ed Davey is just a little too boring to attract attention.

Two thoughts that might just about add up to a straw for the yellow team.

One is that the location of Lib Dem votes is at least as important as the national total. The other is that a moderate Lab to Lib swing during this sort of election is often part of the playbook, as voters work out the best way to beat the Conservatives in their area.

But Ed D has been awfully quiet for a while.

On topic, how easily can Warburton string this out until the election? That's presumably his current plan. Like his many colleagues in the "Sleazy and Dumped" Party.
  • Options
    edited February 2023

Major had much more authority and pondus than Sunak. He was pro-Europe, pro-trade and pro-stability. He also had a Cabinet behind him that was not packed full of incompetents, thugs and crypto-fascists.

Sunak is a political pygmy compared to Major, who had the thumping mandate of having won a general election with a record number of votes.

Ok, so Starmer is also a pygmy compared to Blair, but Labour didn’t win the 1997 election, the Tories lost it. On current form, Sunak’s government is going to lose far more spectacularly that Major’s did.

Major managed to retain 165 Tory seats. That would be an astonishing achievement if Sunak manages to turn this around and get even within the ballpark of that mighty figure.

Latest MRP:

Our new large MRP poll with @FindoutnowUK for @Telegraph shows #Labour 25% ahead and the Conservatives set to get fewer seats than the SNP. Details at:

https://twitter.com/electcalculus/status/1623639165152772098?s=46&t=l6gkF4fesBN2abvCWfOHpA
    I think a wipeout on this scale is now perfectly plausible.

There is white-hot rage around about this tory Government. I have never known anything remotely close to this.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,137
    Where do all the parties get these people? Natalie McGarry, Jared O'Mara and now this. Plus, of course, the truly incredible George Santos in the States. Politics these days attracts narcissists, liars and fraudsters whilst largely repelling reasonably competent people who actually want to do some good. Its a danger to democracy.
  • Options
    On topic, it all depends on how quickly he gets charged, and what his plea is. He is clearly not going to resign as things stand. If he gets charged tomorrow, and pleads not guilty, we’re unlikely to see an outcome this side of Christmas and then there is a recall petition to organise if (assuming he’s found guilty) he gets a sentence above the threshold.

I think the most likely route to a by-election is him getting charged, pleading guilty to get some credit, and resigning as a result.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544

Latest MRP:

Are there any markets up for number of Tory seats at next GE yet, or is it only on the spread betting sites? (I closed my spread betting account).
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    DavidL said:

Where do all the parties get these people? Natalie McGarry, Jared O'Mara and now this. Plus, of course, the truly incredible George Santos in the States. Politics these days attracts narcissists, liars and fraudsters whilst largely repelling reasonably competent people who actually want to do some good. Its a danger to democracy.

It always was. John Stonehouse, Robert Maxwell, Tom Driberg, the Labour expenses scandal?

Edit, I suppose the main difference today is the cases I have quoted span 50 years. We could have all those and more in a fortnight this Parliament.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Jonathan said:

They’ve got a policy problem. They should be positioning themselves as the necessary counter balance to a Labour Party not yet fully recovered from the Corbyn years. “We will protect you from the anti aspiration tendencies of the labour left”.

So they should be more relaxed about corporate profits, defend the independent schools sector, present a fiscal stance of spending (and tax) discipline and noisily call for increased defence spending and military aid for Ukraine. Triangulate the Tories.

If they did this, the Tory shire disgruntleds might be motivated to vote for them rather than just stay at home. But I see no evidence they’re prepared to do this at a national level, mostly their policy is just naked opportunism or glib.
  • Options

DavidL said:

It always was. John Stonehouse, Robert Maxwell, Tom Driberg, the Labour expenses scandal?
    Fair, but you had some talent coming through at the same time to offset the badduns. Where’s the talent in the post 2010 intake?
  • Options
    This would be beyond marvellous. And notice the casual footnote ...

Predicted seat changes by MP
    Some notable MPs are in danger of losing their seats, including the Prime Minister and fifteen other cabinet ministers:

Rishi Sunak (Richmond), Prime Minister
    James Cleverly (Braintree), Foreign Secretary
    Suella Braverman (Fareham), Home Secretary
    Ben Wallace (Wyre and Preston North), Defence Secretary
    Oliver Dowden (Hertsmere), Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster
    Steve Barclay (Cambridgeshire North East), Health Secretary
    Grant Shapps (Welwyn Hatfield), Energy
    Mel Stride (Devon Central), Work and Pensions
    Gillian Keegan (Chichester), Education
    Therese Coffey (Suffolk Coastal), DEFRA
    Mark Harper (Forest of Dean), Transport
    Chris Heaton-Harris (Daventry), Northern Ireland
    Alister Jack (Dumfries and Galloway), Scotland
    David TC Davies (Monmouth), Wales
    Lucy Frazer (Cambridgeshire South East), DCMS
    Penny Mordaunt (Portsmouth North), Leader of Commons

Also Boris Johnson (former Prime Minister), Liz Truss (former Prime Minister), and Kwasi Kwarteng (former Chancellor).
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Happy Battle of the Herrings Day everyone. One for English fish lovers everywhere.

Thanks Doug.

Must be quite an occasion for Seals everywhere.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Thanks Doug.

Must be quite an occasion for Seals everywhere.
    For English seals it’s an absolutely huge deal. Like Christmas. But with herring.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390

In this case, coke.
  • Options

When in Frome...
    A sort of Frome from Frome ....?

Where Ydoethur when you need him?
  • Options
    Heathener said:

You're sounding increasingly desperate in your justifications of the Conservative Party
    Knock it off, Heathener.

Mark's an honest Tory. There are few left. In fact I believe they may soon become a protected species.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,658

Meanwhile Labour have decided to respond to the Tories false attacks about Labour's imaginary manipulation by the RMT with it's own stupid attack website.

We're supposed to be horrified that government ministers stayed in hotels whilst abroad on genuine government business. Shocked.

It's utterly stupid. They want to go after Tory sleaze and pocketing our money. I get that. This government is openly corrupt. So go after their corrupt contracts and coincidental peerages. Not minister stays in hotel "shock"

Political wonks can be so stupid sometimes. We see it time and time again where effective criticisms are not utilised, or are diminished by also using ineffective ones, or even outright untrue claims.

In the current climate the tories are not going to get benefit of the doubt but it's still a waste if that is all there is to that story.
  • Options

DavidL said:

It's partly our own fault. A friend of mine, a good, honest, intelligent and hard-working woman, has stood for election a couple of times, but has now, sadly, withdrawn from politics. This was in large part due to the abuse, a lot of it misogynistic, that she received whenever she campaigned. In the end she felt it wasn't worth the stress and possible risk to her family.

If we create a political environment in which only the most thick-skinned and narcissistic people can thrive, it's no wonder that's what we get.
    Exactly, what sort of person is willing to put up with the abuse, the bullying, the need to lie and justify absurdities? I wouldn't go near it with a barge pole.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Jonathan said:

They’ve got a policy problem. They should be positioning themselves as the necessary counter balance to a Labour Party not yet fully recovered from the Corbyn years. “We will protect you from the anti aspiration tendencies of the labour left”.

So they should be more relaxed about corporate profits, defend the independent schools sector, present a fiscal stance of spending (and tax) discipline and noisily call for increased defence spending and military aid for Ukraine. Triangulate the Tories.

If they did this, the Tory shire disgruntleds might be motivated to vote for them rather than just stay at home. But I see no evidence they’re prepared to do this at a national level, mostly their policy is just naked opportunism or glib.
    You’re actually complaining that their policy isn’t naked opportunism.
  • Options
    edited February 2023

Heathener said:

Mark's an honest Tory.
    That he may be but my point is about sounding increasingly desperate in justifying them. Perhaps I'm wrong about that. xx

MM aside, there really is nothing left by which to justify this Conservative Government.

I sense that quite a few punters, blinded by recency bias, are approaching this all wrong. It's time to believe the polls. It's not about 'might a NOM be likely?' or about 'precedence' or about Sunak 'staging a recovery.'

They are going to be on the receiving end of the full wrath and vengeance of the electorate.

The real question is just how low the tories will sink. I've said 100-150 but it might be fewer.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

moonshine said:

Jonathan said:

No I’m not. I’m complaining that they’re not putting together a coherent platform for NOM, rather than shrieking for reflexive windfall taxes that have destroyed the investment case for uk generated hydrocarbons.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Latest MRP:

Are there any markets up for number of Tory seats at next GE yet, or is it only on the spread betting sites? (I closed my spread betting account).
    Nothing on Sporting Index.

They are very cautious on Political markets, and are apt to suspend them for lengthy periods which makes them a rather risky investment.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,583

But not in sleepy Somerton.
  • Options

When in Frome...
    A sort of Frome from Frome ....?

Where Ydoethur when you need him?
    Like The Froman, I seem to see the River Frome froaming with much Tory blood.
  • Options

Btw, cases like this and the recent O'Mara conviction make you wonder about the quality of the vetting procedure for standing for Parliament.

I'd always thought it was difficult to get on the list but it seems that in some places all you need is a mate on the Panel.

More often the fix is in centrally, like in Bolton NE:

https://labourlist.org/2023/02/bolton-north-east-brings-labours-selection-process-back-under-scrutiny/
  • Options
    Interesting thread on the Minsk agreement.
    Reading it, it’s hardly a surprise its outcome was sub optimal, and that Putin thought he could get away with a second crack at Ukraine.

Exactly 8 years ago today Putin, Merkel, Hollande and Poroshenko met in Minsk's Palace of Independence to negotiate ceasefire and peace in Ukraine after Russia's invasion in 2014.
    I was BY diplomat then and worked with the UA delegation. Here is my thread about that night.

https://twitter.com/PavelSlunkin/status/1624400616838529024
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    moonshine said:

Jonathan said:

Corbyn and Corbynism have been so comprehensively trounced that it is not a fear anymore.

Even BJO seems to have given up recently.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Edit, I suppose the main difference today is the cases I have quoted span 50 years. We could have all those and more in a fortnight this Parliament.
    Yes, there has always been bad eggs and those who abused power for their own benefit. But I honestly do not think we have seen anything like what we have seen in recent years in its ubiquity.

Personally, I found most of the MP expenses scandal bordering on tragic. To give up any claim to probity for such trivial sums? But some, at least, were sucked in by what they were "entitled" to for all the crap they put up with. Now we seem to be seeing far more basic fraud and dishonesty. Its depressing and only the most one eyed can claim that any party is immune.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 6,979
    DougSeal said:

The seals had to dig in deep to win that one
  • Options

When in Frome...
    Very good on paper but sadly Frome rhymes with room.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Yes, there has always been bad eggs and those who abused power for their own benefit. But I honestly do not think we have seen anything like what we have seen in recent years in its ubiquity.

Personally, I found most of the MP expenses scandal bordering on tragic. To give up any claim to probity for such trivial sums? But some, at least, were sucked in by what they were "entitled" to for all the crap they put up with. Now we seem to be seeing far more basic fraud and dishonesty. Its depressing and only the most one eyed can claim that any party is immune.
    There was a lot of deference though. The transport minister who comissioned the Beeching report afaicr had massive shares in road-building companies. These things were just never questioned.
  • Options

moonshine said:

Jonathan said:

Corbyn and Corbynism have been so comprehensively trounced that it is not a fear anymore.

Even BJO seems to have given up recently.
    The electorate at large don’t pay attention in between elections. Corbyn will still be in the back of some peoples minds but it’s actually to the Lib Dem’s advantage to try and focus that closer to polling day. They won’t though.
  • Options
    Frome the bell tolls?
  • Options
    KeystoneKeystone Posts: 127
    Guardian story on cross-party talks between Remainers and Brexiteers.

Stuart, Gove and others meeting Ollie Robbins - with the intention of agreeing a cross-party consensus on how to improve EU relations post-Brexit

Looks like:

- Big business agrees that Brexit has been lowest decile (compared with expectations)
    - Stuart and Gove are trying to salvage Brexit 'gains' when Labour comes in
    - Improving EU trade relations is a priority - better trading relationship wanted by business.

• Options

DavidL said:

It's partly our own fault. A friend of mine, a good, honest, intelligent and hard-working woman, has stood for election a couple of times, but has now, sadly, withdrawn from politics. This was in large part due to the abuse, a lot of it misogynistic, that she received whenever she campaigned. In the end she felt it wasn't worth the stress and possible risk to her family.

If we create a political environment in which only the most thick-skinned and narcissistic people can thrive, it's no wonder that's what we get.
    Even at parish level it can quickly turn very nasty, between councillors but also from the public, and at that level its mostly powerless local volunteers.

You do even there need to be reasonably thick skinned, and from time to time we try to acknowledge even most MPs are decent sorts trying to do some good, but it's such a toxic environment filled with loose morals and partisan shithousery which seems to be what we want to see, that it's a pretty unappealing prospect to join it.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

They fought with porpoise?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

On topic, it all depends on how quickly he gets charged, and what his plea is. He is clearly not going to resign as things stand. If he gets charged tomorrow, and pleads not guilty, we’re unlikely to see an outcome this side of Christmas and then there is a recall petition to organise if (assuming he’s found guilty) he gets a sentence above the threshold.

I think the most likely route to a by-election is him getting charged, pleading guilty to get some credit, and resigning as a result.

Doesn’t he get to appeal as well before the recall petition can be organised? I think that was the case in Peterborough?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

There was a lot of deference though. The transport minister who comissioned the Beeching report afai

When in Frome...
    :lol:

Oh dear, I don't think I ever associated the sound with the spelling.

We're all Froomed captain Mainwaring?
  • Options
    Heathener said:

This would be beyond marvellous. And notice the casual footnote ...

Predicted seat changes by MP
    Some notable MPs are in danger of losing their seats, including the Prime Minister and fifteen other cabinet ministers:

Rishi Sunak (Richmond), Prime Minister
    James Cleverly (Braintree), Foreign Secretary
    Suella Braverman (Fareham), Home Secretary
    Ben Wallace (Wyre and Preston North), Defence Secretary
    Oliver Dowden (Hertsmere), Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster
    Steve Barclay (Cambridgeshire North East), Health Secretary
    Grant Shapps (Welwyn Hatfield), Energy
    Mel Stride (Devon Central), Work and Pensions
    Gillian Keegan (Chichester), Education
    Therese Coffey (Suffolk Coastal), DEFRA
    Mark Harper (Forest of Dean), Transport
    Chris Heaton-Harris (Daventry), Northern Ireland
    Lucy Frazer (Cambridgeshire South East), DCMS
    Penny Mordaunt (Portsmouth North), Leader of Commons

Also Boris Johnson (former Prime Minister), Liz Truss (former Prime Minister), and Kwasi Kwarteng (former Chancellor).

Beautiful.

• Options

Latest MRP:

Even as a Labour supporter I would find an outcome like that a bit scary. I would file it under Not Going to Happen, but if it did, blimey. Uncharted territory doesn't come close to covering it. Both main parties would be put under a lot of pressure by a result like that.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,249

Btw, cases like this and the recent O'Mara conviction make you wonder about the quality of the vetting procedure for standing for Parliament.

I'd always thought it was difficult to get on the list but it seems that in some places all you need is a mate on the Panel.

{Horatio Bottomley has entered the chat}

There are no vetting procedures - I would be interested to find out if any party even uses a cursory background check. Let alone a full trawl through a CV, interview acquaintances from earlier days etc.

We are continuing to move away from having success outside politics first, to professional politicians. Aside from the issue of experience, there is no structure or definition to that career path.

Which means that someone can go from leaflet slinging to MP on the basis that out of x members of the local party, he/she is vaguely presentable and plausible.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,680
    Jonathan said:

Too pessimistic, I think. We are in the run-up to a large round of local elections in May. Lib Dem leaflets will be dropping through letterboxes all over the country. I think the next few months will see an upsurge for the Lib Dems in the opinion polls.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,513
    moonshine said:

Nigelb said:

moonshine said:

Jonathan said:

No I’m not. I’m complaining that they’re not putting together a coherent platform for NOM, rather than shrieking for reflexive windfall taxes that have destroyed the investment case for uk generated hydrocarbons.
    I’m having a drink with one of their likely successful PPCs this week (who I used to do leafleting with around here) specifically to address the issue of taxing the big energy giants. I am keen to help introduce a bit more nuanced understanding of how international tax works - particularly the non-UK predominance of earnings, the effective rates already paid and the progress made on international tax reform already, because I firmly believe Lib Dem positions ought to be evidence based, not emotional.

• Options

Frome the bell tolls?

Frome with a view
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Meanwhile Labour have decided to respond to the Tories false attacks about Labour's imaginary manipulation by the RMT with it's own stupid attack website.

We're supposed to be horrified that government ministers stayed in hotels whilst abroad on genuine government business. Shocked.

It's utterly stupid. They want to go after Tory sleaze and pocketing our money. I get that. This government is openly corrupt. So go after their corrupt contracts and coincidental peerages. Not minister stays in hotel "shock"

Political wonks can be so stupid sometimes. We see it time and time again where effective criticisms are not utilised, or are diminished by also using ineffective ones, or even outright untrue claims.

In the current climate the tories are not going to get benefit of the doubt but it's still a waste if that is all there is to that story.
    Expensive hotels are easy to understand and make for good pictures. I assume they are going for the smear by association (I don’t know the story) and will probably succeed among people who don’t dig into the detail

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,249
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Exactly, what sort of person is willing to put up with the abuse, the bullying, the need to lie and justify absurdities? I wouldn't go near it with a barge pole.
    A relative has heavy end post grad qualifications, coached an Olympic sport at high level and started his own business - from one-man-band to considerable success.

In times past he would have been dragged onto the Council, long ago. Probably Parliament as well.

Less than zero interest…
  • Options

Frome the bell tolls?

Frome with a view
    ...it's coming frome, it's coming frome, it's coming........
  • Options

When in Frome...
    I'm glad someone said this, I live not far from it and was pulling my hair out at this direction of punning.

Read the Frome, people.
  • Options
    “Bar Frome” had to close due to all the vomiting 🤮
  • Options
    edited February 2023

Heathener said:

Knock it off, Heathener.

Mark's an honest Tory. There are few left. In fact I believe they may soon become a protected species.
    MM's post was also a joke, and a very good one at that.
  • Options

Latest MRP:

Even as a Labour supporter I would find an outcome like that a bit scary. I would file it under Not Going to Happen, but if it did, blimey. Uncharted territory doesn't come close to covering it. Both main parties would be put under a lot of pressure by a result like that.
    I'm sure they would be willing to take on that challenge.

Be funny if it led to a split though as everyone felt they were so far in front whipping broke down.
  • Options
    TimS said:

moonshine said:

Nigelb said:

moonshine said:

Jonathan said:

I’m having a drink with one of their likely successful PPCs this week (who I used to do leafleting with around here) specifically to address the issue of taxing the big energy giants. I am keen to help introduce a bit more nuanced understanding of how international tax works - particularly the non-UK predominance of earnings, the effective rates already paid and the progress made on international tax reform already, because I firmly believe Lib Dem positions ought to be evidence based, not emotional.

Good luck. I tried similar with a LD PPC and was told in no uncertain terms that no one is going to cry about taxed profits of the hydrocarbon sector. Notwithstanding that it’s making us more reliant on often dirtier imports from the US and Qatar and disproportionately harming the junior independents.

• Options

DougSeal said:

Doesn’t he get to appeal as well before the recall petition can be organised? I think that was the case in Peterborough?
    If he pleads not guilty and is convicted, then yes but, realistically, you can’t appeal conviction after guilty plea, which is my most likely route to a by-election. He could appeal any custodial sentence (even suspended) that would trigger a petition but for fraud of that magnitude…unlikely.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

There was a lot of deference though. The transport minister who comissioned the Beeching report afai

When in Frome...
    :lol:

Oh dear, I don't think I ever associated the sound with the spelling.

We're all Froomed captain Mainwaring?
    Perfectly understandable from the spelling.
  • Options

At least we won't have to put up with Mr Warburton frome here to eternity.

Ok, I'm doing me best.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

You could only tell if you had a birds eye view
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226

@StuartDickson

Hyufd The Hopeful keeps telling us of the poll evidence that indicates NOM as the likely GE outcome, but even the crude workings of Electoral Calculus are suggesting little more than 100 Tory MPs surviving the next GE. Nor do you have to a Labour or LD partisan to see why even this might be a serious overestimate.

For a start, there is tactical voting. Then there's the distinct possibility of an LD uplift in the polls when they begin to receive more publicity, as they normally do during a GE. Davey is no superstar but he is no mug either, and nor is Starmer. They are not going to have to dazzle to look preferable to the incumbents.

There is still a chance of a Tory recovery. Sunak is nothing if not sensible. If the Party plods on and avoids serious mistakes (like sacking him, for instance), if the economy improves a bit, if Labour begins to fragment and the Unions get too uppity, there is a chance the Tories get out of their current mess and escape with a decent rump of opposition MPs.

There is however at least as much chance that the opposite happens, in which case we really could be talking about near extinction and the SNP as HM Official Opposition.

There's a new AI beta out, ChatHYUFD; have you tried it yet?:

"The energy and passion within our party is stronger than ever, and I truly believe that come election day, we will surprise everyone with a resounding victory. We have the policies and the people to bring real change to this country, and I won't give up on that just because of a few numbers on a page. I am, and always will be, a committed Conservative supporter, and I know that together, we will make history."
  • Options
    kle4 said:

When in Frome...
    I'm glad someone said this, I live not far from it and was pulling my hair out at this direction of punning.

Read the Frome, people.
    Noted, but you have to allow us a little Frome to manouevre.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,372
    edited February 2023
    kle4 said:

When in Frome...

Read the Frome, people.
    Trouble with politics these days; dominated by baby Fromers.
  • Options

kle4 said:

When in Frome...

Read the Frome, people.
    On topic, is it the case that Warburton should ask not for Frome the bell tolls?
  • Options

Ok, I'm doing me best.
    Some of these puns are ok but to be honest Somerton twisters.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Expensive hotels are easy to understand and make for good pictures. I assume they are going for the smear by association (I don’t know the story) and will probably succeed among people who don’t dig into the detail

Undoubtedly, but they don't need to go that route.

There's a three course meal of scandals already laid on, no need to fill up on snacks.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,867

Ok, I'm doing me best.
    Some of these puns are ok but to be honest Somerton twisters.
    I can't see where some of them are coming Frome
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

When in Frome...

Read the Frome, people.
    On topic, is it the case that Warburton should ask not for Frome the bell tolls?
    Should we be asking if Warburton is toast?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

There's a three course meal of scandals already laid on, no need to fill up on snacks.
    They believe in kicking their enemy while he’s on the ground
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    edited February 2023
    Foxy said:

Latest MRP:

I believe Flynn has said the SNP isn’t interested in being the official opposition; I’m not sure whether this counts as an official statement but I’d approve of such a rejection of what would be a ridiculous charade. Would a parliament where Labour had 509 MPs be any more sustainable long term than one where they had a shaky minority government? Insofar as Labour would have a more than a don’t-frighten-the-voters manifesto at that point, I have a vision of a cartoon character swinging huge windmill punches at an opponent that isn’t there.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Latest MRP:

Nothing on Sporting Index.

They are very cautious on Political markets, and are apt to suspend them for lengthy periods which makes them a rather risky investment.
    I see Smarkets now has number of seat markets up for Con and Lab at next GE, but no liquidity.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

You laugh but, trivia fans, it was the valour of the seal contingent at the Battle of the Herrings that led the US Navy to name it’s special forces unit in their honour.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560
    edited February 2023
    moonshine said:

Jonathan said:

So just like Starmer's.

Seems to be working for him atm.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

You laugh but, trivia fans, it was the valour of the seal contingent at the Battle of the Herrings that led the US Navy to name it’s special forces unit in their honour.
    You expect us to believe that? Sounds a bit fishy to me - cod history!
  • Options

DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

When in Frome...

Read the Frome, people.
    If he uses his loaf he should be able to last to the GE.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Foxy said:

DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

When in Frome...

Read the Frome, people.
    If he uses his loaf he should be able to last to the GE.
    Problem is that he thinks he’s the best thing since sliced bread
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

They believe in kicking their enemy while he’s on the ground
    They may end up hitting the ground and hurting their ankle - go too wide of the mark in accusations and the Tories can distract from the genuine issues by painting them as all being trivial and opportunistic like these ones.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,885

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

You expect us to believe that? Sounds a bit fishy to me - cod history!
    If only we could call on the knowledge of the fine animal/military historian Anthony Beaver.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,865
    With every day that passes we inch closer to the Leon Singularity

😶

“Other pilots saying that when they looked at the object they could identify no identifiable propulsion system and they did not know how it was actually staying in the air cruising at that altitude“

https://twitter.com/acyn/status/1624516331465764864?s=46&t=y5cVncRhs9tviY7xvk8Q3w

What is being shot down in North America?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/11/new-unidentified-object-shot-down-over-canada-says-trudeau
  • Options
    Leon said:

Amongst experts now considered to be a greater threat than nuclear war or a deadly pandemic, so I understand.
  • Options
    It does seem bonkers that a Tory party with a very large majority has managed to turn itself into such a lame duck government.

• Options
    Leon said:

😶

“Other pilots saying that when they looked at the object they could identify no identifiable propulsion system and they did not know how it was actually staying in the air cruising at that altitude“

https://twitter.com/acyn/status/1624516331465764864?s=46&t=y5cVncRhs9tviY7xvk8Q3w

What is being shot down in North America?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/11/new-unidentified-object-shot-down-over-canada-says-trudeau

Maybe it was Aliens relying on What 3 Words and getting lost as a result? Or maybe the objects escaped from a Wuhan lab?
This discussion has been closed.