Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What REMAIN and LEAVE voters now think of Brexit – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,731
    edited February 2023

Stocky said:

If a woman transitioned to being a man at 20 years old and committed a crime at 80 years old, they should go to a women-only prison, I am sure people will be consistent.

@CarlottaVance thoughts?
    Prisons are segregated by sex not gender (this must be true as the concept of gender wasn't invented till the 50s). Same with sport. The person you cite is a woman who identifies as a man i.e. she changed gender.
    Would women be happy with a "man" being in their space?
    I should think so if the person is only a man in terms of gender. In any case, why would we be driven by what prisoners think?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

If a woman transitioned to being a man at 20 years old and committed a crime at 80 years old, they should go to a women-only prison, I am sure people will be consistent.

@CarlottaVance thoughts?
    Prisons are segregated by sex not gender (this must be true as the concept of gender wasn't invented till the 50s). Same with sport. The person you cite is a woman who identifies as a man i.e. she changed gender.
    I shouldn't think so if the person is only a man in terms of gender. In any case, why would we be driven by what prisoners think?
    But biologically they're a woman and their sex is female. So why would they oppose it? Is it because this is actually about gender not sex?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,444

MattW said:

Afternoon all. Parish Pump Politics Update, perhaps to save money for local Councils anyone helps run.

Greenwich Borough Council have blocked the main Thames Path route to wheelchairs and mobility scooters (and many, many types of bicycle and prams, strollers etc). Just near the O2.

At least one of their Councillors is quite proud of it:
    (snip tweet)

There are two things about these types of barrier, apart from being deprecated in all the national guidelines.

1 - They are an offence under the Equality Act 2010.
    2 - They cost somewhere North of 5k to put in, and it will be coming straight back out again when somebody claims under 1.

*Headdesk*. The legal solution is an accessible footpath, and suitable enforcement.

Have a good day all.

I'd make another point: these sorts of stiles (I call them 'squeeze stiles') can also be very difficult to get through with a large backpack on. Say, like someone who's walked the Thames Path for nearly 200 miles carries.

There're some really bad examples further east along the Kent Coast, on the Saxon Shore Way. From memory, near Gillingham, but I might be wrong. But the worst is a stretch of the Speyside Way in Scotland, where the landowner has put these really nasty sort of stiles every 100 metres (or so it feels). For miles...

https://www.speysideway.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/rambler.jpg
    https://www.speysideway.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/path.jpg
    Weren’t those stiles a response to

1) old fashioned climb over stiles and those swing-gate-in-a-cage ones were considered
    “Blocking” for low agility people.
    2) people refusing to shut gates behind them.
    3) invent a new m, auto closing gate…

What will step 4 be, I wonder.
  • Options
    edited February 2023

I never even defended the GRR bill

Then why do you attack me for criticising it?
    I haven't, I oppose your views on single-sex spaces and trans people generally.
    CHB - do you accept that there is a big difference between attacking transgender people (which would be illiberal, discriminatory and wrong) and attacking transgender ideology (illiberal, irrational and bullying)?
  • Options

MattW said:

Afternoon all. Parish Pump Politics Update, perhaps to save money for local Councils anyone helps run.

Greenwich Borough Council have blocked the main Thames Path route to wheelchairs and mobility scooters (and many, many types of bicycle and prams, strollers etc). Just near the O2.

(snip tweet)

There are two things about these types of barrier, apart from being deprecated in all the national guidelines.

2 - They cost somewhere North of 5k to put in, and it will be coming straight back out again when somebody claims under 1.

*Headdesk*. The legal solution is an accessible footpath, and suitable enforcement.

Have a good day all.

I'd make another point: these sorts of stiles (I call them 'squeeze stiles') can also be very difficult to get through with a large backpack on. Say, like someone who's walked the Thames Path for nearly 200 miles carries.

There're some really bad examples further east along the Kent Coast, on the Saxon Shore Way. From memory, near Gillingham, but I might be wrong. But the worst is a stretch of the Speyside Way in Scotland, where the landowner has put these really nasty sort of stiles every 100 metres (or so it feels). For miles...

1) old fashioned climb over stiles and those swing-gate-in-a-cage ones were considered

They also look horrible!
  • Options

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

@CarlottaVance thoughts?
    I shouldn't think so if the person is only a man in terms of gender. In any case, why would we be driven by what prisoners think?
    But biologically they're a woman and their sex is female. So why would they oppose it? Is it because this is actually about gender not sex?
    Sorry a typo in my post - now corrected - "shouldn't" should read "should".
  • Options
    Stocky said:

CHB - do you accept that there is a big difference between attacking transgender people (which would be illiberal, discriminatory and wrong) and attacking transgender ideology (illiberal, irrational and bullying)?
    Yes but Vance often goes into the first.

I posed the question re a transitioned female to a male specifically because it blows apart the whole argument. I am confident that if a person who had been gendered male for 40 years ended up in a female-only prison, people would not be happy. But it is just consistent as the other way around which people are apparently up in arms about.

This issue is complicated - that's exactly the problem.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    I'm wondering if CHB will have second thoughts on trans rights in the GRR in about a years time - ISTR it took that long from him parroting 'lockdown now' to question whether lockdowns were a good idea at all...

Reductivism doesn't age well.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,998
    @whatukthinks: Latest @YouGov @thetimes poll. In hindsight #Brexit right 33 (-1); wrong 54 (n/c). Fwork 24-25.1.23 (ch since 18-19… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1620786627537928193
  • Options

MattW said:

(snip tweet)

Have a good day all.

They also look horrible!
    I think the council should put up a sign saying "Lose some weight fat boy"
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBattery3CorrectHorseBattery3 Posts: 2,757
    edited February 2023
    Mortimer said:

I'm wondering if CHB will have second thoughts on trans rights in the GRR in about a years time - ISTR it took that long from him parroting 'lockdown now' to question whether lockdowns were a good idea at all...

Again, I don't support the GRR bill.

Lockdowns were a waste of time because the elderly are arseholes and ungrateful for everything we've done for them. Somehow though I don't think that is what most people who opposed them were saying.
  • Options

That is because of your infantile world view in which predatory rapists are not a thing. People take advantage, is about the most fundamental rule in life. I was campaigning for gay rights before your parents were born, so why I would have a thing against the trans god only knows. Take a look at the Scottish double rapist who now claims after conviction to be trans. Do you think he A is trans, or B is taking the Mickey out of right on idiots like you and doing, with your collusion, huge damage to the interests of the trans?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Lockdowns were a waste of time because the elderly are arseholes and ungrateful for everything we've done for them. Somehow though I don't think that is what most people who opposed them were saying.
    And how about lockdowns?
  • Options
    edited February 2023

Stocky said:

I posed the question re a transitioned female to a male specifically because it blows apart the whole argument. I am confident that if a person who had been gendered male for 40 years ended up in a female-only prison, people would not be happy. But it is just consistent as the other way around which people are apparently up in arms about.

The starting position in that prisons are segregated by sex not gender. The 40 years example you cite is a good one because it tests this position strongly and I suspect a decision would be made based on each individual case. This isn't a cop-out I think its the sensible approach.
  • Options
    Interesting thread (TLDR, it’s still a Franco-German show, as Lithuania v China shows):

Late to this excellent and thoughtful piece by @StevenErlanger that provoked much debate inside @EurasiaGroup. But I don't buy the idea that there's a structural shift underway in the EU - with power and influence moving east. Longish thread 1/
    https://twitter.com/Mij_Europe/status/1620745446393274370
  • Options

That is because of your infantile world view in which predatory rapists are not a thing. People take advantage, is about the most fundamental rule in life. I was campaigning for gay rights before your parents were born, so why I would have a thing against the trans god only knows. Take a look at the Scottish double rapist who now claims after conviction to be trans. Do you think he A is trans, or B is taking the Mickey out of right on idiots like you and doing, with your collusion, huge damage to the interests of the trans?
    Some gay people are rapists, we don't discriminate gay people from certain places because of it.

You have no idea how old my parents are.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    edited February 2023

Nuke this whole idea from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure

I do take mild exception to the 'killing two birds with one stone' phrase. Only recently I actually thought about the meaning though. Who's coming up with this dross?

Appears to be American corporate speak.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

The starting position in that prisons are segregated by sex not gender. The 40 years example you cite is a good one because it tests this position strongly and I suspect a decision would be made based on each individual case. This isn't a cop-out I think its the sensible approach.
    Yes, I think it would be in practice but I think it would not be a popular decision in terms of public perception.

I think we are fairly aligned on this, the issue is complicated - and has to be looked at individually.

I oppose the GRR bill as I posted several days ago. Because it doesn't seem to actually help anyone and just seems to make things worse.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,997

@CarlottaVance do you believe trans people deserve our love and compassion and do you think they are deserving of rights under the law?

FFS get a grip, what kind of bullshit is that post. If Carlotta does not tell you to go F*** yourself then it will only be because she is too polite.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

@CarlottaVance do you believe trans people deserve our love and compassion and do you think they are deserving of rights under the law?

FFS get a grip, what kind of bullshit is that post. If Carlotta does not tell you to go F*** yourself then it will only be because she is too polite.
    Hi ya malc, welcome back mate.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,232

Stocky said:

Yes, and I’ve said so many times. They already have rights under the law.

The discussion is about a badly drafted Scottish Bill that could compromise women’s rights to single sex spaces established by the Equality Act which is a U.K. wide matter and the responsibility of the U.K. government.

What’s your view on the Scottish GRR Bill?
    Yet every post you make seems to attack them.

Let's be honest, if the Tories were proposing this bill you'd be telling us how wonderful it was. You are the most partisan poster on this entire site, actually worse than HYUFD.
    Show me a post where I have attacked trans people.

Once again, directly to ad hom.

Why is a position supported by Labour and SNP MPs a Tory one?

What do YOU think of the Scottish GRR Bill?

Or don’t you have an opinion?
    I already posted my views on this topic days ago. I think the commentary on this bill from you and others is entirely cynical and not about safety or anything else. We know this because you keep saying about how this is Sturgeon's big failure, that is what this is really about.

This issue is incredibly complicated, there is no perfect solution or answer. But I start from the position of love and compassion, not trying to vilify people to score points.
    So, no quote of an attack by me on trans people. No acceptance that the politician leading the proposed change is responsible for the problem, but you’re quite happy to vilify me to score points.
    Nicola Sturgeon is not responsible for women using single sex spaces which is what you asked me.

Answer my question: if a man has transitioned completely to being a woman (gender), can they EVER use single sex spaces?

And if not, why not? What is the issue?
    I asked your opinion on the Scottish GRR bill - which Sturgeon is responsible for. The answer to your question will depend on the law.

How many trans women do you think “completely transition” to having no male genitalia?
    I agree with you in general but completely transitioning gender does not IMO require surgery to create fake genitalia. Gender is a matter of identity. This is what differentiates it from sex. If you argue in this way you are almost encouraging these surgeries aren't you?

I think the loo issue is a bit of a distraction from the main issue - we allow someone to change gender but must not allow this to be conflated with changing sex.
    I agree - genital surgery is difficult, irreversible and has high complication rates - which is why in particular children should not have access to it, or be pushed onto a pathway that leads to it. The Swedish approach of “wait and see, pushing neither transition nor desistance” seems the most humane.

The issue we are then left with is that there are male bodied trans people and there are men who will exploit loopholes to gain access to single sex spaces.

In the discussion it is striking how often defenders of the GRR bill (which ignores the complication created by this issue) launch into hypotheticals about toilets rather than address the legal issues the bill raises.
    I support the bill - specifically to make it easier and based primarily on self-id not psychiatric diagnosis to obtain a GRC. But I don't support gender identity always and everywhere replacing biological sex. The default in society should be trans inclusion but exclusion should also be possible. Currently the EA allows single sex exemptions if it's a 'proportionate means to a legitimate end'. It's important this continues and I expect it will. So, easier legal transition, default trans inclusion, with exceptions where properly justified - this is in my view the direction to go in and it's where I think we'll eventually get to.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,004

WILL A SINGLE M-EFFING HOUR GO BY ON THIS SITE WITHOUT ENDLESS POSTS ABOUT TRANS?

And, as far as we know, nobody in the debate actually is trans....

Later peeps!
    It would help the discussion considerably if there were!
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

And how about lockdowns?
    I oppose lockdowns now because the elderly don't deserve to be prevented from dying. They're arrogant and out of touch and continually vote to fuck me and anyone under the age of 60 over.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,584
    edited February 2023

MattW said:

(snip tweet)

Have a good day all.

They're everywhere. eg I have at least 250 of a narrower type (so-called A-barriers) within and around my smallish market town. Sustrans (walking-cycling-wheeling path network charity) have done an audit, and now have a programme to remove or reconstruct 15,000 inaccessible barriers/gates on their network, which will take some time. Since Greenwich installed that it is 15,001.

It is not unknown for someone with say a handcycle to get to the end of a 5 mile ride, find an impassable barrier, and have to come all the way back again.

Anyhoo, it's quite off topic, and I just wanted to flag it in case any of our local Councillors were planning to install any :smile: . The process for their removal is quite well established, and the right person with the right protected characteristic can receive compensation, which help motivate. Remarkably there have been cases where local councils tried to pay them off, rather than fix the discrimination.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

And how about lockdowns?
    I oppose lockdowns now because the elderly don't deserve to be prevented from dying. They're arrogant and out of touch and continually vote to fuck me and anyone under the age of 60 over.
    So, would it be fair to characterise your views as having changed over the past year?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No it isn't, only the top 10% get A* grades at A Level or got A* grades (now 1s) at GCSE.

Virtually every Russell Group student has an A* in the subject they study now

Utter nonsense. Goodness me.
    No it isn't, check Russell Group universities admissions criteria now
    https://www.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/coursefinder/courses/2023/digital-and-technology-solutions-software-engineer/

Grades AAB at A-Level. Alternatively, A-Level grades ABB including either A-Level Mathematics or Computer Science. Excludes General Studies and Critical Thinking.

Oh dear.
    So even Queen Mary, one of the lowest ranked Russell Group universities requires an A grade.

Durham University requires an A* in Maths or further Maths to study it.

https://www.durham.ac.uk/study/courses/g100/

You literally said it's an A*!

YOU WERE WRONG
    @HYUFD is having a shocker this morning… anyway, good to know that we can add “ex polytechnics” to his list of deplorables…
    Lol. I went to a Poly, and was happy to do so, in spite of a phenomenally high IQ (he says with the modesty of a certain poster known by three initials) and having received offers from four Russell Group unis ( I don't think they were called that back then?), which failed to come to climax due to having far too good a time at my sixth form to be bothered about doing work for my A-levels.

Over the years I have interviewed and employed people from a great variety of institutions. Many of these have been from the lowly institutions that HY looks down on, and some whom had what he would regard as "Mickey Mouse degrees".

I am highly confident that very few of them were as inarticulate or as generally stupid as he.
    Or as rude as you!
  • Options

The discussion is about a badly drafted Scottish Bill that could compromise women’s rights to single sex spaces established by the Equality Act which is a U.K. wide matter and the responsibility of the U.K. government.

Let's be honest, if the Tories were proposing this bill you'd be telling us how wonderful it was. You are the most partisan poster on this entire site, actually worse than HYUFD.

I already posted my views on this topic days ago. I think the commentary on this bill from you and others is entirely cynical and not about safety or anything else. We know this because you keep saying about how this is Sturgeon's big failure, that is what this is really about.

This issue is incredibly complicated, there is no perfect solution or answer. But I start from the position of love and compassion, not trying to vilify people to score points.
    So, no quote of an attack by me on trans people. No acceptance that the politician leading the proposed change is responsible for the problem, but you’re quite happy to vilify me to score points.
    Nicola Sturgeon is not responsible for women using single sex spaces which is what you asked me.

Answer my question: if a man has transitioned completely to being a woman (gender), can they EVER use single sex spaces?

You are a real bully boy , I remember you whining and whinging about being bullied. Can arseholes EVER give it a bye, answer that you absolute bampot.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

And how about lockdowns?
    So, would it be fair to characterise your views as having changed over the past year?
    I always thought the elderly were a bunch of twats but I somehow naively thought things might change post COVID.

I got that wrong - but I don't see how I was supposed to predict the future when this all started. I stand by everything I said re the reasons for lockdown at the time in terms of preventing deaths, it was just a waste of time in hindsight because these people deserve to die.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,044

MattW said:

(snip tweet)

Have a good day all.

There is no 'perfect' stile, but those stiles are hideous, especially with a pack, as you have to hold them both open simultaneously as you pass through, and one always ends up falling back and snagging your trailing leg or pack. I'm unsure if that's how they're meant to work, but it's what happens.

The problem with the Speyside Way example is that there are so many of them in a short distance. I believe the landowner didn't want the trail passing through his land, so put a stipulation on that there had to be all these stiles.
  • Options
    edited February 2023

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Yes, I think it would be in practice but I think it would not be a popular decision in terms of public perception.

I think we are fairly aligned on this, the issue is complicated - and has to be looked at individually.

I oppose the GRR bill as I posted several days ago. Because it doesn't seem to actually help anyone and just seems to make things worse.
    Well it allows someone over 16 to legally change gender after only three months of "living that gender" - whatever that means - and how is even this evidenced? - and without medical certification which diagnoses gender dysphoria. There is no limit on how many back-and-forths can happen.

Whether that constitutes actually helping someone is arguable.

I heard - but this may not be true - that a police check will only go back to when a person last changed gender, so any prior offenses will not be revealed. Tell me this is not true.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

You are a real bully boy , I remember you whining and whinging about being bullied. Can arseholes EVER give it a bye, answer that you absolute bampot.
    Thanks malc, enjoying your posts as always
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

@HYUFD Nottingham:

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/course/Computer-Science-BSc

AAA if you have an A in computer science/computing

You are wrong!

The standard offer actually includes an A* and for most they will get an A* in Computer Science anyway if studying it
    My son studied Computer Science at Cambridge where he is now doing his PhD. He did not do computer science at A level or GCSE and was not asked for a single A* by Cambridge in any subject. In fact Cambridge gave him his lowest offer of all the Unis he applied for. It might have something to do with him winning the Cambridge University Computer Science prize when he was in the lower sixth though.
    And I expect he got mainly A* and As at GCSE and A level too didn't he?

If he got Cs and Ds he almost certainly wouldn't be at Cambridge.

The fact he won the Computer Science prize clearly put him in the top 10% for the subject he studied too didn't it!!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

@HYUFD Nottingham:

You are wrong!

The standard offer actually includes an A* and for most they will get an A* in Computer Science anyway if studying it
    My son studied Computer Science at Cambridge where he is now doing his PhD. He did not do computer science at A level or GCSE and was not asked for a single A* by Cambridge in any subject. In fact Cambridge gave him his lowest offer of all the Unis he applied for. It might have something to do with him winning the Cambridge University Computer Science prize when he was in the lower sixth though.

If he got Cs and Ds he almost certainly wouldn't be at Cambridge
    Are you one of these people that thinks exam results actually mean something?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No it isn't, only the top 10% get A* grades at A Level or got A* grades (now 1s) at GCSE.

https://www.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/coursefinder/courses/2023/digital-and-technology-solutions-software-engineer/

Grades AAB at A-Level. Alternatively, A-Level grades ABB including either A-Level Mathematics or Computer Science. Excludes General Studies and Critical Thinking.

Oh dear.
    So even Queen Mary, one of the lowest ranked Russell Group universities requires an A grade.

YOU WERE WRONG
    @HYUFD is having a shocker this morning… anyway, good to know that we can add “ex polytechnics” to his list of deplorables…
    Lol. I went to a Poly, and was happy to do so, in spite of a phenomenally high IQ (he says with the modesty of a certain poster known by three initials) and having received offers from four Russell Group unis ( I don't think they were called that back then?), which failed to come to climax due to having far too good a time at my sixth form to be bothered about doing work for my A-levels.

Over the years I have interviewed and employed people from a great variety of institutions. Many of these have been from the lowly institutions that HY looks down on, and some whom had what he would regard as "Mickey Mouse degrees".

I am highly confident that very few of them were as inarticulate or as generally stupid as he.
    As educational institutions many former polys are now rating higher in the league tables than Russel Group universities (and I say that as someone who went to an RG Uni). Nottingham Trent University (the former Trent Poly) is a case in point as at one point it ranked higher in the league tables than the RG University of Nottingham. A cause of constant fun for my daughter (who went to UoN) and her partner (who went to NTU)
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

And how about lockdowns?
    That's right. You deserve it, and also most of the trans identifying are under 60 so win-win.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

And how about lockdowns?
    That's right. You deserve it, and also most of the trans identifying are under 60 so win-win.
    Have a lovely day!
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

I asked your opinion on the Scottish GRR bill - which Sturgeon is responsible for. The answer to your question will depend on the law.

How many trans women do you think “completely transition” to having no male genitalia?
    I agree with you in general but completely transitioning gender does not IMO require surgery to create fake genitalia. Gender is a matter of identity. This is what differentiates it from sex. If you argue in this way you are almost encouraging these surgeries aren't you?

I think the loo issue is a bit of a distraction from the main issue - we allow someone to change gender but must not allow this to be conflated with changing sex.
    I agree - genital surgery is difficult, irreversible and has high complication rates - which is why in particular children should not have access to it, or be pushed onto a pathway that leads to it. The Swedish approach of “wait and see, pushing neither transition nor desistance” seems the most humane.

The issue we are then left with is that there are male bodied trans people and there are men who will exploit loopholes to gain access to single sex spaces.

In the discussion it is striking how often defenders of the GRR bill (which ignores the complication created by this issue) launch into hypotheticals about toilets rather than address the legal issues the bill raises.
    I support the bill - specifically to make it easier and based primarily on self-id not psychiatric diagnosis to obtain a GRC. But I don't support gender identity always and everywhere replacing biological sex. The default in society should be trans inclusion but exclusion should also be possible. Currently the EA allows single sex exemptions if it's a 'proportionate means to a legitimate end'. It's important this continues and I expect it will. So, easier legal transition, default trans inclusion, with exceptions where properly justified - this is in my view the direction to go in and it's where I think we'll eventually get to.
    I am hoping a matter for exclusion in your view should be sport? Also conflating gender with sex and retrospectively changing birth certificates?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,466
    Leon said:

Even disaster and shambles feature quite prominent for Leavers.

Who will flush the great Brexit turd?

I’m a Leaver and I think it has been a shambles and a disaster, in terms of the handling and the execution. Who could think otherwise? It has been a national humiliation, and the Tories deserve to be hurled into electoral perdition for this (and they will).. But I would vote Leave again, tomorrow - with great reluctance (as I did in 2026) - and for the same reasons. Sovereignty and democracy. The EU is still fundamentally undemocratic in a way the UK is not

Indeed the imminent thrashing of the Tories shows Brexit at work. We are governed by fools, frauds and flailing idiots. We are going to give them a terrible spanking and they will be suitably chided by this traumatic defeat. We cannot do that to the EU Commission. We cannot hand Ursula’s petite derrière to her on a Belgian plate

Thus: Brexit. The right decision

Quite.

Also - we haven't changed a shred of EU law. How is that leaving? Even the most hardcore remainer in their worst prophecies of doom never argued that leaving would keep us 100% aligned with all EU laws, regulations, projects, strategic goals, and competition/state aid rules.

The latter of these is particularly shit, given that most other EU countries seem to find ways to neatly side step those rules, so by gold-plating them AND hanging on to them with white knuckles post-Brexit, forcing us to build RN ships in Spain, our civil service has put us in a worse position than actual members.

So it seems to me that EU membership is the turd that won't flush, rather than Brexit.
  • Options

If a person born a woman transitions to being a man at 18 and is a man for 30 years, come and use the male loos, I really don't see the issue. If somebody can explain the problem and why I am incorrect then let me know.

The replies so far is that there is no way to completely transition - erh, yes there is, it's in the law. Not good enough.

You halfwit a man can never become a woman it is a physical and biological impossibility. He can get a piece of paper that says he is a woman for various aspects of laww / living etc but that does not mean he is physically a woman.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

I am hoping a matter for exclusion in your view should be sport? Also conflating gender with sex and retrospectively changing birth certificates?

Depends on the sport surely. I don't think it's an open and shut case, again it's complicated.

Conflating gender with sex is an issue from a medical POV, clearly if you need certain types of treatment they can differ. But nobody in that position is going to pretend they're not male or female, unless they fancy dying. One of these scenarios again that seems unlikely to occur in real life.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBattery3CorrectHorseBattery3 Posts: 2,757
    edited February 2023
    malcolmg said:

If a person born a woman transitions to being a man at 18 and is a man for 30 years, come and use the male loos, I really don't see the issue. If somebody can explain the problem and why I am incorrect then let me know.

The replies so far is that there is no way to completely transition - erh, yes there is, it's in the law. Not good enough.

You halfwit a man can never become a woman it is a physical and biological impossibility. He can get a piece of paper that says he is a woman for various aspects of laww / living etc but that does not mean he is physically a woman.
    We did this the other day. It is biologically possible, the clownfish does it all the time.

And what about intersex people?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

And how about lockdowns?
    I always thought the elderly were a bunch of twats but I somehow naively thought things might change post COVID.

I got that wrong - but I don't see how I was supposed to predict the future when this all started. I stand by everything I said re the reasons for lockdown at the time in terms of preventing deaths, it was just a waste of time in hindsight because these people deserve to die.
    CHB. As someone who has supported you in the past I would suggest you need to step away from PB for a while. Your views have veered away from merely forthright to outright offensive. Saying people deserve to die is borderline psychotic.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Even when wearing a kilt, Malc?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Oh dear.

YOU WERE WRONG

As educational institutions many former polys are now rating higher in the league tables than Russel Group universities (and I say that as someone who went to an RG Uni). Nottingham Trent University (the former Trent Poly) is a case in point as at one point it ranked higher in the league tables than the RG University of Nottingham. A cause of constant fun for my daughter (who went to UoN) and her partner (who went to NTU)
    Though not 1 ex polytechnic ranks above a RG University in the latest Times league table

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/uk-university-rankings-revealed-the-times-league-table-dbxtwgm70
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

And how about lockdowns?

CHB. As someone who has supported you in the past I would suggest you need to step away from PB for a while. Your views have veered away from merely forthright to outright offensive. Saying people deserve to die is borderline psychotic.
    The poster above said I deserve to die.

I'm genuinely very annoyed about this issue, I put my life on hold to prevent the elderly dying and I've got nothing in return. I am sorry but I really stand by what I said, it would have been better to let these people die.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,204

Mortimer said:

Do you regret posting ‘lockdown now’ endlessly on here then? We know politicians read this site - you may have tipped the balance!
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Do you regret posting ‘lockdown now’ endlessly on here then? We know politicians read this site - you may have tipped the balance!
    No because I did it for the right reasons at the time. Do I regret supporting it, well yes now I do because these people didn't deserve it.
  • Options
    edited February 2023

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

@HYUFD Nottingham:

You are wrong!

They do.

How many professors, doctors and lawyers got Ds at GCSE and A level?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

@HYUFD Nottingham:

You are wrong!

They do.

How many surgeons and lawyers got Ds at GCSE and A level?
    How many CEOs do you think do?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

You really are a deluded numpty. What have you done for anybody. Put some facts in writing I need a good laugh.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Mortimer said:

You really are a deluded numpty. What have you done for anybody. Put some facts in writing I need a good laugh.
    Malc are you keeping well mate?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Peter , I have to report that when wearing a kilt I am 100% not a woman.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    12.54pm:

2:19pm:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

And how about lockdowns?

• Options
    Leon said:

Indeed the imminent thrashing of the Tories shows Brexit at work. We are governed by fools, frauds and flailing idiots. We are going to give them a terrible spanking and they will be suitably chided by this traumatic defeat.

Bollocks

Most of the fuckwits that delivered this shitshow will end up permanently making our laws from the comfort of the Lords, including some we could previously vote out of office

Brexit fails even on those narrow terms of success.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,229

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

And how about lockdowns?

Steady on old bean. We are not all self-serving Brexiteer gammon, even if we look like we might be.

After the carnival of retirement descends into forgetful incontinence, the hard earned disappears very quickly with modest care home bills coming in at £5.5k per month. So get back to your work and earn your taxable income to pay for my trouser-wetting final years. Chop chop.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,991
    MattW said:

Have a good day all.

If Greenwich Council have too much money to spend, why not supplement the barrier with a wide gate opened by a RADAR key?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

And how about lockdowns?

He has really lost the plot.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,204

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

And how about lockdowns?

Fuck me that’s a bit strong. “These people deserve to die” takes some beating.

Do you really mean that? Do you want to nominate which ones die?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

We did this the other day. It is biologically possible, the clownfish does it all the time.

Clownfish says it all
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

And how about lockdowns?

Steady on old bean. We are not all self-serving Brexiteer gammon, even if we look like we might be.

After the carnival of retirement descends into forgetful incontinence, the hard earned disappears very quickly with modest care home bills coming in at £5.5k per month. So get back to your work and earn your taxable income to pay for my trouser-wetting final years. Chop chop.
    I will take it back, not all old people deserve to die.

The people we locked down for who are now voting Tory, well you ungrateful people who like to fuck me over then yes, I ask what was the point? We gave up two years for you and all we got was tax rises, student debt and an economy in the loo. Thanks a lot
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,645
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

@HYUFD Nottingham:

You are wrong!

The fact he won the Computer Science prize clearly put him in the top 10% for the subject he studied too didn't it!!
    Yes you would be correct, but that wasn't the point was it. The point was you were wrong.
  • Options

Leon said:

I’m a Leaver and I think it has been a shambles and a disaster, in terms of the handling and the execution. Who could think otherwise? It has been a national humiliation, and the Tories deserve to be hurled into electoral perdition for this (and they will).. But I would vote Leave again, tomorrow - with great reluctance (as I did in 2026) - and for the same reasons. Sovereignty and democracy. The EU is still fundamentally undemocratic in a way the UK is not

Indeed the imminent thrashing of the Tories shows Brexit at work. We are governed by fools, frauds and flailing idiots. We are going to give them a terrible spanking and they will be suitably chided by this traumatic defeat. We cannot do that to the EU Commission. We cannot hand Ursula’s petite derrière to her on a Belgian plate

Quite.

Also - we haven't changed a shred of EU law. How is that leaving? Even the most hardcore remainer in their worst prophecies of doom never argued that leaving would keep us 100% aligned with all EU laws, regulations, projects, strategic goals, and competition/state aid rules.

The latter of these is particularly shit, given that most other EU countries seem to find ways to neatly side step those rules, so by gold-plating them AND hanging on to them with white knuckles post-Brexit, forcing us to build RN ships in Spain, our civil service has put us in a worse position than actual members.

So it seems to me that EU membership is the turd that won't flush, rather than Brexit.
    Make it easier when we go back in.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

And how about lockdowns?

I'm genuinely very annoyed about this issue, I put my life on hold to prevent the elderly dying and I've got nothing in return. I am sorry but I really stand by what I said, it would have been better to let these people die.
    No where in that thread do I see anyone saying you deserved to die. Of course if they did they are equally wrong. But your attitude towards the elderly is not reasonable. Not least because we will all be there some day (including you I very much hope).

I am reminded of my favourite quote so far this year.

Inside every old person there is a young person wondering what the fuck just happened.
  • Options

WILL A SINGLE M-EFFING HOUR GO BY ON THIS SITE WITHOUT ENDLESS POSTS ABOUT TRANS?

And, as far as we know, nobody in the debate actually is trans....

Later peeps!
    It would help the discussion considerably if there were!
    Perhaps also some of those semi-mythical young people about whom one hears so much, particularly since this divide seems very much based on generational (excuse pun) lines.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

@HYUFD Nottingham:

You are wrong!

They do.

Very few too, maybe a handful of entrepreneurs, certainly not CEOS of big established companies
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Peter , I have to report that when wearing a kilt I am 100% not a woman.
    :smile:

Long, long ago, back in the mists of time, when Scotland were playing in the Soccer World Cup finals, some of their kilted supporters made the long journey to Buenos Aires, where the locals were understandably unfamiliar with the sight of men wearing skirts. Some made the mistake of thinking this meant they were effiminate.

You can join the rest of the dots yourself.
  • Options
    I'm very happy to say that saying elderly people should die was extreme, didn't mean to cause any offence and it was clearly hyperbolic - but I really do stand by the fact we've been screwed over by these people and I think lockdowns were a big mistake when they're so ungrateful for it.

We'd have been much better off just letting nature take its course, that was what I was trying to say, although I went too far.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

@HYUFD Nottingham:

You are wrong!

They do.

Very few too, maybe a handful of entrepreneurs, certainly not CEOS of big established companies
    Mark Zuckerburg is a college dropout.

Bill Gates.

Steve Jobs.

You are ignorant.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,584

MattW said:

(snip tweet)

Have a good day all.

There's some truth in that - there's been a progression. My local A-gates have mainly been in since the 1990s, and have turned cycle paths into dogwalker tracks.

The current UK standard is that a 2.3m x 1.2m "design vehicle" can pass, which is something like a tandem wheelchair, a tandem or tandem tricycle, or a big tricycle / 3-wheel recumbent, or more exotic things like clip-on-handcycles for wheelchairs, plus usual mobility scooters.

So the entrance could be controlled by bollards at a 1.5m spacing, and cattle would be controlled by a grid not a gate - so physically keep a car out, but let the design vehicle in.

There's stuff about allowed access on different types of path, and places where it becomes redundant (eg rough country).

Now is a time to invest in bollards, and follow the (spoof) World Bollard Association.
    https://twitter.com/WorldBollard/status/1610998234951852033

• Options
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

@HYUFD Nottingham:

You are wrong!

Yes you would be correct, but that wasn't the point was it. The point was you were wrong.
    Yes that WAS the point.

My original point that virtually all Russell Group students are in the top 10% for the subject they studied was correct.

As you just confirmed for your own son too
  • Options

malcolmg said:

FFS CHB, not that old chestnut. Even transgender ideologists have stopped arguing that one.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

@HYUFD Nottingham:

You are wrong!

They do.

Mark Zuckerburg is a college dropout.

Bill Gates.

Steve Jobs.

You are ignorant.
    Gates got admitted to Harvard as did Zuckerberg.

They were all comfortably top 10% academically at school, they just dropped out of college to start their businesses
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Pops in.
    Trans.
    Pops out.
    Have a good time everyone.

It doesn’t take long to read through the thread if you ignore all the Trans posts.
  • Options
    @spectator: The number of Conservative MPs to quit at the next election rises to 17, with Edward Timpson the latest to announce… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1620792449265471488
  • Options
    Stocky said:

malcolmg said:

FFS CHB, not that old chestnut. Even transgender ideologists have stopped arguing that one.
    I'm not saying it does happen, just that biologically there's nothing in nature that says it can't happen. I am not saying people that change gender change sex. I was just correcting malc's point that it's biologically impossible - long term we don't know.

Intersex people exist, clearly a very small number of course.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

And how about lockdowns?

I said you deserved to be fucked over. I certainly don't want you to die, I want you up and economically active. Triple locked pensions don't grow on trees.
  • Options

I'm very happy to say that saying elderly people should die was extreme, didn't mean to cause any offence and it was clearly hyperbolic - but I really do stand by the fact we've been screwed over by these people and I think lockdowns were a big mistake when they're so ungrateful for it.

We'd have been much better off just letting nature take its course, that was what I was trying to say, although I went too far.

Nice one. Some good posts from you today CHB.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

The issue is the Equality act allows you to discriminate on the basis of sex for single sex spaces provided the discrimination is proportionate. So for example a woman’s refuge against male violence would be able to say to a man “you can’t come in.”

It does not allow you to discriminate on the basis of gender reassignment. So a trans person with a GRC could mount a legal challenge today to being excluded. While very few GRCs have been issued, and those that have have been subject to safeguarding this has not been a problem.

The concern is that removing the safeguarding entirely - which is what is proposed - will lead to a substantial increase in the number issued (numbers are debated, but the Scottish government argues simultaneously that “there is a pressing need for urgent reform“. AND “not many will be issued”) and with no safeguarding in place bad actors will get through. Small groups confronted by people with GRCs will either need to accept them or get legal advice - which many can’t afford.

This was pointed out repeatedly to ScotGov and waved away.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

@HYUFD Nottingham:

You are wrong!

They do.

What grades did you gain, @HYUFD?
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,230
    edited February 2023
    The relatively warm winter, with temperatures hovering around freezing here in Tallinn, has taken a little of the pressure off the Estonian economy, despite the more or less total breakdown of Russian trade. Inflation, though still high, is slowing, and that seems set to benefit the re-election prospects of Prime Minister Kaja Kallas in the March 5th election.

Nevertheless all is far from well in Estonia. The savage battering that the Ukrainians have been receiving in the past few weeks worries all of us, since we know that any failure in Ukraine would mean that the Baltic, Poland, Romania and indeed Scandinavia and Germany would be next in line for Russian aggression. The continuous barrage of nuclear and every other kind of threat from the Kremlin is taken extremely seriously. The downgrade of diplomatic relations between the Baltic and Russia means that it may be only a matter of time before Russia seeks to create further trouble directly with NATO. Private threats of assassination are made by Russia against western leaders on a weekly basis, and although the small size of Estonia means that Russian agents are fairly easy to follow, that is not true in other countries. Boris Johnson undoubtedly did receive an implied death threat from the Russians, and he is not alone. The Mafia State is now way beyond the boundary of the civilized world. The "lamentable annals of human crime" would be exceeded to nuclear megadeath if the criminals in the Kremlin are not forced from office as soon as possible, and face the public justice that their war crimes demand.

By contrast, military and political relationships between the UK and Estonia are increasingly strong, but there is growing concern here about the very weak UK economy, The self-inflicted "slow motion Suez" of Brexit is recognized here as an especially brilliant Russian hybrid attack. Now, however, there have been practical moves to try to help the UK stabilize its crisis-hit economy. Many countries, not just Estonia, have been trying to find solutions to issues, like the NI protocol, that will help improve UK/EU relations and reinforce the common front against Russia. Further initiatives may be expected.

The days are now visibly longer, but we see that the war is growing worse. The critical days are still ahead and a stalemate only benefits Putin.

The idea that all our efforts are not focused on this existential fight for democracy and freedom is deeply worrying. The fact that the arguments over Trans rights, which could be settled by decency and good will, can distract attention so much from the catastrophe of the Russian Mafia State´s threats of global holocaust, is, frankly, terrifying.

For goodness sake, UK, get a grip!
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    edited February 2023
    Leon said:

After avoiding this place all morning because of trans arguments and ChatPT/AI waffle, I had faint hopes a new thread would clear the decks. No, of course not, what Was I thinking.
    For the love of all that's holy, can we not just having a standing discussion thread for each of those and shunt them off there so non-obsessives can actually find the interesting topics.

You are one of the most boring, pointless, invisible posters on here. Why the fuck should anyone give a toss what you think?

Seriously. 306 comments, In total

You’re like a stranger bursting into a local boozer and shouting at the regulars: I DEMAND YOU STOP PLAYING DARTS
    There is a world of difference to discussing things which are relevant to the thread and shoe horning your own agenda into every bloody discussion which is exactly what you do. You rarely engage with the thread subject but just bang on about you and your obsessions.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

@HYUFD Nottingham:

You are wrong!

They do.

3 A grades at A level, 4A*, 3A, 2Bs at GCSE if you must ask.

• Options

dixiedean said:

Pops in.
    Trans.
    Pops out.

It doesn’t take long to read through the thread if you ignore all the Trans posts.
    It would be helpful if posters were to head up their comments with a capital T if they are on the topic in question.

It would make scanning very much easier.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

@HYUFD Nottingham:

You are wrong!

They do.

Why are you such an idiot to get 2 Bs?

(Of course you're not an idiot, just that grades don't actually mean anything)
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Leon said:

After avoiding this place all morning because of trans arguments and ChatPT/AI waffle, I had faint hopes a new thread would clear the decks. No, of course not, what Was I thinking.
    For the love of all that's holy, can we not just having a standing discussion thread for each of those and shunt them off there so non-obsessives can actually find the interesting topics.

You are one of the most boring, pointless, invisible posters on here. Why the fuck should anyone give a toss what you think?

You’re like a stranger bursting into a local boozer and shouting at the regulars: I DEMAND YOU STOP PLAYING DARTS
    There is a world of difference to discussing things which are relevant to the thread and shoe horning your own agenda into every bloody discussion which is exactly what you do. No doubt there are a few folks that are really interested in your interminable holiday snaps but I ain't and I doubt I am alone. Cue a stream of personal abuse.
    I don't believe he goes away much at all, I am convinced the photos are recycled and/or stolen from the Internet
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

@HYUFD Nottingham:

You are wrong!

They do.

Neither were in the subject I studied at my RG university though
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

@HYUFD Nottingham:

You are wrong!

They do.

And? My point was that exam results don't indicate anything.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

@HYUFD Nottingham:

You are wrong!

They do.

Really? I'd always assumed you got C for everything.

Personally I've always regarded anything above F as a sign I'd been wasting time.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

@HYUFD Nottingham:

You are wrong!

They do.

And? My point was that exam results don't indicate anything.
    Yes they do.

As I said how many doctors, lawyers and professors or even CEOs got below average or even only average exam results?

Very few
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,232
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Some sports, yes, and I'd leave it to the governing bodies. Birth certs? Seems wrong to change a factual event without an audit trail but I'm not sure how all that works now or what the ramifications are.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

And how about lockdowns?

So, would it be fair to say, given you've changed your views on lockdowns - which could be characterised as somewhat optimistic of human nature - that you may end up changing your views on trans issues, too?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,645
    edited February 2023
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

@HYUFD Nottingham:

You are wrong!

Yes that WAS the point.

My original point that virtually all Russell Group students are in the top 10% for the subject they studied was correct.

As you just confirmed for your own son too
    The main point, as has been shown ever since you posted here, but abundantly over the last few days, is that when you make a mistake you can never admit it.

I make loads of mistakes. I have made them here quite a lot also. When I do I put my hands up. You never do. Instead you squirm around it and move the goal posts.

I don't know why you do it because you would get a lot more respect for doing so. It also often deflects from the point you are making as people will now home in on your mistake, just like I did, so it devalues what might be a good argument by you.

And as you can see people are making fun of you now so the point is lost.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891

MattW said:

(snip tweet)

Have a good day all.

Kissing gates are also very annoying - particularly on a bicycle - take up more room and are presumably much more expensive. They also require backpack removal if they are small. There probably isn't room for a large gate there.

Metal swing gates either get left open or tend to be oversprung.

Honestly, I've seen worse.

The problem with the narrow barriers is that they tend to be used on otherwise accessible paths, like the one pictured earlier. There's a plague of them here.

If I'm out with Flatlander Sr. in his mobility scooter I have to dismantle the thing, get him to walk through, then put it back together. They are a menace.

Mind you, try climbing over a full height deer gate with a mountain bike. (Yes, you, Ardverikie)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

@HYUFD Nottingham:

You are wrong!

They do.

Well done! To what extent did your school academic performance help your subsequent life and career? In my case, I felt as if I only started learning useful stuff once I left school. 1 AS, 2 Bs at A level (failed maths) and 9 O levels, at Grammar School. If anyone else wants to share their experience, instead of talking about Trans …….
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,292
    OllyT said:

Leon said:

There is a world of difference to discussing things which are relevant to the thread and shoe horning your own agenda into every bloody discussion which is exactly what you do. You rarely engage with the thread subject but just bang on about you and your obsessions.

Did I mention I went to the FOURTEENTH BEST BAR IN THE WORLD, last night?

it’s such a cool bar, they serve you a free, welcoming “welcome to your drinks” drink. An aperitif aperitif. And it has an ice cube SHAPED LIKE A DIAMOND

Looking back, it might have actually been a diamond

• Options
    Great letter to the Guardian:

Nesrine Malik tells us the system is rigged in favour of the 1% by wealth (Opinion, 23 January). Entry into the global 1%, by the definition used by Oxfam, requires $1m in assets. As the Office for National Statistics tells us, that’s around the 75th percentile of British households by wealth. In other words, 25% of British households are in the top 1% of the global wealth distribution. I’d be willing to bet a substantial sum that 25% of the Guardian’s readership is too. As Pogo said in Walt Kelly’s strip cartoon for Earth Day in 1971: “We have met the enemy and he is us.”
    Tim Worstall
    Senior fellow, Adam Smith Institute

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/jan/31/the-enemy-within-guardian-readers-and-the-1
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,466
    malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Quite.

Make it easier when we go back in.
    Yes, I think that is undoubtedly the purpose. As is the general foot-dragging inefficiency of our agencies in dealing with anything affected by Brexit. But that isn't the fault of leaving the EU, it's the fault of the ideologically driven nutjobs infesting the public payroll.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Pops in.
    Trans.
    Pops out.

It would be helpful if posters were to head up their comments with a capital T if they are on the topic in question.

It would make scanning very much easier.
    Could the same courtesy be extended to posts on cricket?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,444

MattW said:

(snip tweet)

Have a good day all.

There is no 'perfect' stile, but those stiles are hideous, especially with a pack, as you have to hold them both open simultaneously as you pass through, and one always ends up falling back and snagging your trailing leg or pack. I'm unsure if that's how they're meant to work, but it's what happens.

The problem with the Speyside Way example is that there are so many of them in a short distance. I believe the landowner didn't want the trail passing through his land, so put a stipulation on that there had to be all these stiles.
    I can well believe it.

The problem, as usual, is the weird minority for whom closing a gate, in countryside, is too much effort. Or something. I’ve seen people do it, quite deliberately.

On urban stuff - given the way the Thames Path has become a racetrack for nutters on powered bikes, near me… well something has to give.

What can be done? The non insane (majority) cyclists are fine - 5-10 miles an hour causes no problems. Disability stuff - obviously no problem.

Unfortunately my attempts at constructing a Holtzman shield generator have failed.
This discussion has been closed.