Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Trump back as WH2024 GOP nominee betting favourite – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited February 2023 in General
imageTrump back as WH2024 GOP nominee betting favourite – politicalbetting.com

Although it is more than 20 months away one of the biggest betting markets at the moment is on who will be the nominees for the 2024 White House race.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Doubts about whether DeSantis will wait till next time when he can inherit Trump's MAGA support?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,231
    Sitting Presidents very rarely have nominee issues. If Biden wants it he probably gets it.
  • Options
    FWIW I think Trump will have serious legal issues in the next 18 months and, very possibly, a conviction which would make him all too beatable, even in the current GOP.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,501
    FPT: Tres - Thanks for the link to the Daily Mail story. And let me note a correction to my original comment: The girl was staying with her godmother, not her grandmother.

But note that even the Daily Mail doesn't mention the race of the accused.

(In this area, our TV stations usually do not mention the race of those accused with crimes -- but, when they can do so legally, they show pictures.)
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,406
    malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Phew, TSE will be relieved, it's ok to refer to 'the French' again:

AP deletes ‘the French' tweet and apologises after it is widely mocked

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-64436973

But not ‘the English’.
    Well, it probably isn't wise to in your presence.

I mean, they seem to have much the effect on you mention of the DfE has on me, and with (so far as can be judged) much less reason.
    I've got a piece coming up in the next few days about Scottish independence, I use my knowledge of Scotland that allowed me to correctly predict Scotland would remain part of the UK in 2014.

The piece is going to be headlined

'Will the Scots bottle it again?'
    Depends on whether the Scotch experts advise it is a whisky strategy.
    I was out with some friends the other night and asked if they had any Scotch, the waiter said he'd check and came back saying yes, we have Jack Daniels or Jamiesons! I pointed out that neither of these were Scotch but immediately felt like a dick. I'm not sure what the polite answer would have been, I suppose I just took offence as a Scotsman! The waiter seemed pissed off for the rest of the evening. Very awkward.
    Sympathies. It's usually best to avoid any hint of confrontation with waiters (even difficult ones) but if you don't particularly like Irish or Bourbon you're between a rock and a hard place there. Through no fault of your own you're in a tough spot. Either you call out the error (feels pompous) or you go ahead and order a JD or a Jamiesons (beta cuck wimp behaviour). You feel bad either way. It's the sort of ostensibly small thing that can cast a shadow over an otherwise nice evening. Which I can tell it did with how you're telling the story.
    OLB should feel happy that he has educated that waiter in a kind way, where he might have been educated in a less kind way by a future customer.
    Yes, nice take. But was his tone kind? From how he's relating the incident I sense there was an edge and he feels with hindsight there could have been another way. But I could be overthinking it.
    Well he could have continued on in a sadistic way, announcing what had been offered to his entire party and agonising over the choice, whilst speculating on whereabouts in the lochs and glens of Bonny Scotland that Jameson's and Jack Daniels hail from. Some twats would get a good 5 minutes of material out of it. Sounds to me like OLB just gave a straightforward correction.

I'd have said 'Those are both whisky, but they're not Scotch - that's always made in Scotland in a particular way that I like. Not to worry, if that's all you have I'll just have the Jameson's with some ice. Here's a way you can always tell (then go into my spiel about the 'e' - though frankly it's a bit redundant given that it will always say 'Scotch whisky' on the bottle too.
    Ice?
    Yes. Jameson's is a blended Irish whisky, it tastes fine, but it's not a sipping drink, it's a knock back (or mixer) drink, some ice to lengthen it is fine. If it was a malt or even an aged blend, no ice. No water for me either.
    A touch of water brings out the flavour in a malt
    Yes and No for me. Most commercial whiskies are diluted down to 40% abv and to me it loses flavour if you dilute further. If I'm helping someone appreciate Scotch whisky I'd rather get them used to the alcohol than go straight to water.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Nice Starmer assassination and dissing of Labours chances to overturn Tory rule by Sky expert Rob Powell

https://news.sky.com/story/starmers-radical-promises-have-gone-as-he-targets-power-but-we-still-dont-really-know-who-he-is-12797445
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,195
    I'd say the value in this market is laying DeSantis.

I think that Trump is still value, should probably be odds-on for the GOP nomination, but if he is knocked out of the race over the next year then there's going to be a very wide field and DeSantis wouldn't be a strong frontrunner in that field.
  • Options
    On Topic: Here's a poll from New Hampshire: "As in other recent polls, both 2020 nominees are having difficulties with their party’s voters. Only 37 percent of New Hampshire Democrats would back Biden over another candidate. Just 25 percent backed Biden over Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg (16 percent), Michelle Obama (15 percent), and Vice President Kamala Harris (5 percent).

And 36 percent say there are undecided."
    source: https://nhjournal.com/exclusive-nhjournal-poll-finds-nhgop-divided-on-trump-24/

(For the record: I am unfamiliar with the polling firm, and would remind you that much depends on the state of the economy when the nomination process officially starts.)
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,185

Nice Starmer assassination and dissing of Labours chances to overturn Tory rule by Sky expert Rob Powell

https://news.sky.com/story/starmers-radical-promises-have-gone-as-he-targets-power-but-we-still-dont-really-know-who-he-is-12797445

Keir is now playing out time to the next GE. That should be enough for LAB unless there is a remarkable economic turn round for CON by then.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    Biden now the favourite to win in 2024. Still 3/1 though.

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,964

Keir is now playing out time to the next GE. That should be enough for LAB unless there is a remarkable economic turn round for CON by then.
    Labour doesn’t need to do anything beyond not being this Government and looking none scary.

That none scary bit is why the Labour Party doesn’t want to talk policies to ensure the papers have nothing but the latest Tory party scandal.
  • Options

I heard a piece on Today, of all places, where they accidentally referred to SKS as the PM. They corrected of course but it was a telling mistake in that a lot of people are kind of assuming the same bar some minor technicalities. Sunak looks like a placeholder, I'm afraid.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    eek said:

Labour doesn’t need to do anything beyond not being this Government and looking none scary.

That none scary bit is why the Labour Party doesn’t want to talk policies to ensure the papers have nothing but the latest Tory party scandal.
    I think Parties should avoid policies if they want to win.. One well researched signature policy should be sufficient to underpin their positioning. More are presents to the competition.

For the LibDems, with their positioning of respecting voters as adults, I think one policy on decriminalising drug use would be sufficient. Instead there are literally hundreds of policy items discussed and voted on at conference. Very frustrating!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    A new Mclaughlin poll yesterday has Trump leading DeSantis 43% to 31% amongst GOP voters. Biden leads amongst Democrats for their nomination with 24%, with Michelle Obama on 14% and Buttigieg and Newsom on 7% followed by Harris on 6%.

Trump beats Biden 48% to 43% and Harris 50% to 40%
    https://www.newsmax.com/mclaughlin/electorate-speech-votes/2023/01/27/id/1106204/

Though Echelon Insights has Biden still beating Trump 45% to 42% albeit with DeSantis beating Biden 45% to 42% in turn
    https://echelonin.wpenginepowered.com/wp-content/uploads/January-2023-Omnibus-Topline-EXTERNAL.pdf
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,143
    HYUFD said:

A new Mclaughlin poll yesterday has Trump leading DeSantis 43% to 31% amongst GOP voters. Biden leads amongst Democrats for their nomination with 24%, with Michelle Obama on 14% and Buttigieg and Newsom on 7% followed by Harris on 6%.

Trump beats Biden 48% to 43% and Harris 50% to 40%
    https://www.newsmax.com/mclaughlin/electorate-speech-votes/2023/01/27/id/1106204/

Though Echelon Insights has Biden still beating Trump 45% to 42% albeit with DeSantis beating Biden 45% to 42% in turn
    https://echelonin.wpenginepowered.com/wp-content/uploads/January-2023-Omnibus-Topline-EXTERNAL.pdf

What about Trafalgar, the gold standard?
  • Options

On Topic: Here's a poll from New Hampshire: "As in other recent polls, both 2020 nominees are having difficulties with their party’s voters. Only 37 percent of New Hampshire Democrats would back Biden over another candidate. Just 25 percent backed Biden over Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg (16 percent), Michelle Obama (15 percent), and Vice President Kamala Harris (5 percent).

And 36 percent say there are undecided."
    source: https://nhjournal.com/exclusive-nhjournal-poll-finds-nhgop-divided-on-trump-24/

(For the record: I am unfamiliar with the polling firm, and would remind you that much depends on the state of the economy when the nomination process officially starts.)

In specific case of New Hampshire, my guess is that one factor in Biden's low numbers in this poll (and perhaps other Dems?) is the President's support for knocking the NH Presidential Primary OUT of it's "First in the Nation" status for 2024 nomination season?

HUGE issue in the great Granite State, where the NH Primary is both a revered tradition AND a significant quadrennial cottage industry.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

But not ‘the English’.

I mean, they seem to have much the effect on you mention of the DfE has on me, and with (so far as can be judged) much less reason.
    I've got a piece coming up in the next few days about Scottish independence, I use my knowledge of Scotland that allowed me to correctly predict Scotland would remain part of the UK in 2014.

I was out with some friends the other night and asked if they had any Scotch, the waiter said he'd check and came back saying yes, we have Jack Daniels or Jamiesons! I pointed out that neither of these were Scotch but immediately felt like a dick. I'm not sure what the polite answer would have been, I suppose I just took offence as a Scotsman! The waiter seemed pissed off for the rest of the evening. Very awkward.
    Sympathies. It's usually best to avoid any hint of confrontation with waiters (even difficult ones) but if you don't particularly like Irish or Bourbon you're between a rock and a hard place there. Through no fault of your own you're in a tough spot. Either you call out the error (feels pompous) or you go ahead and order a JD or a Jamiesons (beta cuck wimp behaviour). You feel bad either way. It's the sort of ostensibly small thing that can cast a shadow over an otherwise nice evening. Which I can tell it did with how you're telling the story.
    OLB should feel happy that he has educated that waiter in a kind way, where he might have been educated in a less kind way by a future customer.
    Yes, nice take. But was his tone kind? From how he's relating the incident I sense there was an edge and he feels with hindsight there could have been another way. But I could be overthinking it.
    Well he could have continued on in a sadistic way, announcing what had been offered to his entire party and agonising over the choice, whilst speculating on whereabouts in the lochs and glens of Bonny Scotland that Jameson's and Jack Daniels hail from. Some twats would get a good 5 minutes of material out of it. Sounds to me like OLB just gave a straightforward correction.

I'd have said 'Those are both whisky, but they're not Scotch - that's always made in Scotland in a particular way that I like. Not to worry, if that's all you have I'll just have the Jameson's with some ice. Here's a way you can always tell (then go into my spiel about the 'e' - though frankly it's a bit redundant given that it will always say 'Scotch whisky' on the bottle too.
    Ice?
    Yes. Jameson's is a blended Irish whisky, it tastes fine, but it's not a sipping drink, it's a knock back (or mixer) drink, some ice to lengthen it is fine. If it was a malt or even an aged blend, no ice. No water for me either.
    Yes and No for me. Most commercial whiskies are diluted down to 40% abv and to me it loses flavour if you dilute further. If I'm helping someone appreciate Scotch whisky I'd rather get them used to the alcohol than go straight to water.
    Man said a touch of water - NOT a bathtub full!

From my own humble experience, concur with Malc . . . on THIS topic.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,522
    eek said:

While this is true to an extent, it is not true that Labour are home and dry for four good reasons:

Events.

The monsters under Labour's bed.

The dangers of running for election from opposition when the government is terrible in every way BUT there are no rational policies addressing the real issues that are any short term use to short term electors - which is the real reason why you don't have any policies.

Brexit remains the political equivalent of trying to play cricket and rugby on the same pitch at the same time. No-one knows when the ball will come out of the scrum and get you lbw.
  • Options
    Boris Johnson was formally told to stop asking Richard Sharp for “advice” about his “personal financial matters” days before Sharp was announced as the next BBC chairman, according to a leaked Cabinet Office memo.

Johnson, then prime minister, was warned by officials on December 22, 2020 that he had to stop speaking to Sharp about his financial affairs. Sharp was announced as the government’s choice for chairman of the national broadcaster on January 6, 2021.

The Cabinet Office document was drawn up after Johnson and Sharp sought advice in early December on accepting a loan of up to £800,000 guaranteed by the prime minister’s distant cousin, Sam Blyth, a Canadian businessman. Blyth and Sharp had discussed how to help Johnson with his finances on two occasions, the first, at a dinner in September and the second, on the telephone. Johnson secured the loan in February 2021, according to his own declaration in the internal register of ministers’ interests, parts of which are not made public.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-was-told-stop-seeking-richard-sharps-advice-on-financial-matters-n2jgkjk7x
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,674
    edited January 2023

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

But not ‘the English’.

Ice?
    I find you do need a little water - maybe a tenth - to allow the palate to taste the flavour fully. But that is perhaps because I don't drink commercial stuff but still working through my late dad's Scottish Malt Whisky Society stock which is cask strength ...! So you may well be right in what works for you.

https://smwsa.com/blogs/cask-curriculum/cask-curriculum-whisky-water
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

But not ‘the English’.

Ice?
    I find you do need a little water - maybe a tenth - to allow the palate to taste the flavour fully. But that is perhaps because I don't drink commercial stuff but still working through my late dad's Scottish Malt Whisky Society stock which is cask strength ...! So you may well be right in what works for you.

https://smwsa.com/blogs/cask-curriculum/cask-curriculum-whisky-water
    Yes, with cask strength I'd have no hesitation in adding a drop of water (though I'd still have a sip first). When you get into the 60's I find it necessary. But some 50+ is quite good without.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Off topic, but IMHO more important than any recent topics: From a Bill Gates opinion piece in the Washington Post:
    "In January 2000, a grim cover story in Newsweek forecast that as many as 30 million African children could be orphaned by 2010 because of AIDS deaths. Demographers predicted that AIDS would kill half the teenagers in some African countries.

That horrific outcome never happened. Millions of Africans finally got access to affordable AIDS drugs, thanks in large part to the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR). The ambitious initiative, launched by President George W. Bush, celebrates its 20th anniversary this weekend. Over the past two decades, PEPFAR has saved 25 million lives by providing more than $100 billion in funding for AIDS prevention and treatment."
    source$: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/01/28/pepfar-aids-congress-reauthorize/

Gates is worried, with some reason in my opinion, that we may be slipping back in our campaign against this terrible disease.

(Incidentally, I don't know of any news organizations better equipped to do a long series --now -- on PEPFAR than the BBC)
  • Options

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

But not ‘the English’.

Ice?
    Man said a touch of water - NOT a bathtub full!

From my own humble experience, concur with Malc . . . on THIS topic.
    Careful, SSI - ageeing with Malc on ANY topic is likely to attract the attention of the Site's disciplinary committee.
  • Options

Boris Johnson was formally told to stop asking Richard Sharp for “advice” about his “personal financial matters” days before Sharp was announced as the next BBC chairman, according to a leaked Cabinet Office memo.

Johnson, then prime minister, was warned by officials on December 22, 2020 that he had to stop speaking to Sharp about his financial affairs. Sharp was announced as the government’s choice for chairman of the national broadcaster on January 6, 2021.

The Cabinet Office document was drawn up after Johnson and Sharp sought advice in early December on accepting a loan of up to £800,000 guaranteed by the prime minister’s distant cousin, Sam Blyth, a Canadian businessman. Blyth and Sharp had discussed how to help Johnson with his finances on two occasions, the first, at a dinner in September and the second, on the telephone. Johnson secured the loan in February 2021, according to his own declaration in the internal register of ministers’ interests, parts of which are not made public.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-was-told-stop-seeking-richard-sharps-advice-on-financial-matters-n2jgkjk7x

The failure to distinguish between personal and government business is so deep that it doesn't even seem to occur to those involved.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2023
    Super interesting article,

According to IRS data, New York’s pandemic deserters had average incomes that were 28 percent higher than residents who stayed.

https://www.curbed.com/2023/01/nyc-real-estate-covid-more-apartments-higher-rent.html

I wonder how this compares to other big cities like London? Certainly it seems other US cities like LA and SF have seen similar and tax revenues have collapsed in SF.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,183
    DavidL said:

The failure to distinguish between personal and government business is so deep that it doesn't even seem to occur to those involved.
    If God had intended Johnson to think, He would have given him a brain.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881

I think that Trump is still value, should probably be odds-on for the GOP nomination, but if he is knocked out of the race over the next year then there's going to be a very wide field and DeSantis wouldn't be a strong frontrunner in that field.

Agreed, I’m pretty convinced that DeSantis is going to be a non-runner, especially if DJT builds momentum in the coming months. The younger man would be much better off keeping his nose dry for 2028 or 2032, and being one of the kingmakers in the nomination process.
  • Options

Off topic, but IMHO more important than any recent topics: From a Bill Gates opinion piece in the Washington Post:
    "In January 2000, a grim cover story in Newsweek forecast that as many as 30 million African children could be orphaned by 2010 because of AIDS deaths. Demographers predicted that AIDS would kill half the teenagers in some African countries.

That horrific outcome never happened. Millions of Africans finally got access to affordable AIDS drugs, thanks in large part to the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR). The ambitious initiative, launched by President George W. Bush, celebrates its 20th anniversary this weekend. Over the past two decades, PEPFAR has saved 25 million lives by providing more than $100 billion in funding for AIDS prevention and treatment."
    source$: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/01/28/pepfar-aids-congress-reauthorize/

Gates is worried, with some reason in my opinion, that we may be slipping back in our campaign against this terrible disease.

(Incidentally, I don't know of any news organizations better equipped to do a long series --now -- on PEPFAR than the BBC)

Yet another example of the limitations of exponential growth being applied in the real world.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,222

That the Conservatives ever thought that man was an appropriate person to be leader is an indictment on every single party member.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,592

Bit weird that he needs a go between to cadge off his own cousin. What is really going on?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Boris is not stupid or incapable of thought. He is simply amoral to an extent that is quite hard to fathom when you are used to dealing with normal people, even crooks.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

It’s why cannot vote Tory until the stables are cleaned.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Bit weird that he needs a go between to cadge off his own cousin. What is really going on?
    And why the hell does a sitting PM need a loan of 800k? His latest divorce must have been long paid.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2023
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

And why the hell does a sitting PM need a loan of 800k? His latest divorce must have been long paid.
    The new wife has very expensive tastes and 2 new children....while 27,000 other offspring also cost a lot of money.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

It sounds like the cousin was the guarantor for the loan, and Sharp was the lender.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

Aren’t they paid less than the FM? For such an important job the salary is quite small.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,378
    edited January 2023
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

His ex wife is a Cambridge educated lawyer.

You don’t mess with them.

The rumours are she gets 60% of all his future income.

His current wife isn’t a spendthrift.

Being PM denied his usual outside income.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

His income went from being in the £400k realm, to a government salary of £150k, at the same time as the divorce and the new family. He has apparently always had money problems, which was fine when his wife was a well-paid lawyer. Less so with the new wife, her part-time charity gig, and somewhat upper-class tastes and expenses.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,871
    DavidL said:

Yet another example of the limitations of exponential growth being applied in the real world.
    Hope you are fully recovered David.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Hope you are fully recovered David.
    Thanks Malcolm. Still got a really bad cough and phlegm but feeling much more like myself.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    My WiFi has been down all day and now Plusnet tells me that it won't be fixed till 1800 on Feb 1st - next Wednesday.

Where is Liz Truss to tell us that THIS IS A DISGRACE
  • Options

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

Why on earth would he agree to give her his future income (except as child support)? She probably earned more than him.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,712

Doubts about whether DeSantis will wait till next time when he can inherit Trump's MAGA support?

Supposing Trump loses again to Biden?
    Trump 2028?
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,442
    edited January 2023

My WiFi has been down all day and now Plusnet tells me that it won't be fixed till 1800 on Feb 1st - next Wednesday.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263

I know
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,674
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Essay: discuss the implications of the existence of Mr Johnson for the Church of England.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

Why on earth would he agree to give her his future income (except as child support)? She probably earned more than him.
    It was alleged that he didn’t pay his share of the upkeep during the marriage and had promised he would make it up later on.

Getting a legal settlement was the only way of getting Boris Johnson to honour it.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,442

GIF

Testing, testing 123.
  • Options

Get yourself with BT and they give you a mobile backup.
  • Options

She's cheesed off after being fired.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

It was alleged that he didn’t pay his share of the upkeep during the marriage and had promised he would make it up later on.

Getting a legal settlement was the only way of getting Boris Johnson to honour it.
    This is fantastical nonsense. No one does divorce agreements like this.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Essay: discuss the implications of the existence of Mr Johnson for the Church of England.
    Hearing Confession from Boris would keep a rota of Anglo Catholic clergy busy on a full time basis for years.

(Except he's presumably decided that he's RC after all so Not Our Problem.)
  • Options
    edited January 2023

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Hearing Confession from Boris would keep a rota of Anglo Catholic clergy busy on a full time basis for years.

Funny religion, where you can do whatever you like, so long as you say sorry afterwards.

No wonder that it has killed and tortured and abused and blighted the lives of so many millions over the centuries.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I can’t disabrie
  • Options

ydoethur said:

I can’t disabrie
    Take it as read, less ter show our brilliance but more to allow for a further awesome cheese pun.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

Ray Parlour's ex wife got around 40% of his future income after their divorce.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I can’t disabrie
    Take it as read, less ter show our brilliance but more to allow for a further awesome cheese pun.
    Can't believe it's comté this.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

Besides, didn't Boris have a pretty hard deadline by when he had to get it all wrapped up?

Not ideal if you're in a negotiation.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I can’t disabrie
    I know some people are impressed when PB turns into a punfest. Their anger causes them to have a face like a Gorgon. Zola Budd wouldn't join in, I'm sure.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I can’t disabrie
    I know some people are impressed when PB turns into a punfest. Their anger causes them to have a face like a Gorgon. Zola Budd wouldn't join in, I'm sure.
    That was a reasonable attempted double. Gloss ter the rest, though.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

For 4 years. https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2004/jul/08/football.claredyer
  • Options
    It is possible to try just that bit too hard, just saying.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

Besides, didn't Boris have a pretty hard deadline by when he had to get it all wrapped up?

Not ideal if you're in a negotiation.
    Yup, he screwed up two divorce bills with two hard deadlines.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

I'm guessing he was very much the breadwinner in that relationship. It's an odd example though. More relevant would be a wife who puts her high earning career on hold for her husband.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,522
    IanB2 said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Funny religion, where you can do whatever you like, so long as you say sorry afterwards.

No wonder that it has killed and tortured and abused and blighted the lives of so many millions over the centuries.
    Not being RC I have no dog in the fight but just wonder whether the religion that has a billion followers including the POTUS and produced Aquinas and St Francis may be a little more subtle than is described here.

By the way neither religion nor irreligion nor communism nor political ideology tortures and kills. People torture and kill.

• Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,139
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I can’t disabrie
    That's a crock for certain.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    mwadams said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I can’t disabrie
    None of these cheese puns are very gouda, are they?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Agreed, I’m pretty convinced that DeSantis is going to be a non-runner, especially if DJT builds momentum in the coming months. The younger man would be much better off keeping his nose dry for 2028 or 2032, and being one of the kingmakers in the nomination process.
    That is my view. Far better for RDS to do a deal with Trump and be his VP pick for 2024.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I can’t disabrie
    We might already have a winner. They don’t get cheddar than that
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,139

mwadams said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I can’t disabrie
    None of these cheese puns are very gouda, are they?
    No, but it is fondue-ing them.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,055

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I can’t disabrie
    It's too reminiscent of the beurre war for her.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,612
    Transactivists: transwomen aren't men. So any objection to putting them in women's spaces must be because they are trans, not because they are men.

Rest of world: transwomen are men. Objections to putting them in women's spaces is because they are men, not because they are trans…

This dynamic is apparent in every single area of public controversy. It's an unbridgeable gulf.

https://twitter.com/docstockk/status/1619298267787055104
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I can’t disabrie
    Why Zola Budd - whoever he was - and not Zola himself? J'Accuse You of being no gouda this.
  • Options
    I'm regretting these cheese puns @MoonRabbit initiated, because I see no end to them. I think she's exchanged a Roquefort a hard place.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I can’t disabrie
    Why Zola Budd - whoever he was - and not Zola himself? J'Accuse You of being no gouda this.
    You'rE DAMned if you do, damned if you don't.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I'm regretting these cheese puns @MoonRabbit initiated, because I see no end to them. I think she's exchanged a Roquefort a hard place.

Just because anything you can do, I can do feta.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,092

Sandpit said:

That is my view. Far better for RDS to do a deal with Trump and be his VP pick for 2024.
    Anyone that works for Trump destroys their reputation. Pence, Giuliani, Pompeo etc. Crazy to be his VP.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    ydoethur said:

I'm regretting these cheese puns

I think someone has hacked ydoethur's account, there's no way he would regret a pun.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

That's a Munster pun!
  • Options
    edited January 2023

Sandpit said:

Though if Trump loses that ends his chances too.

No losing VP nominee has gone on to win the Presidency or even their party's nomination since FDR
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

No losing VP nominee has gone on to win the Presidency or even their party's nomination since FDR
    File under "X hasn't happened since the last time it happened".

It's a big file.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,386

Transactivists: transwomen aren't men. So any objection to putting them in women's spaces must be because they are trans, not because they are men.

Rest of world: transwomen are men. Objections to putting them in women's spaces is because they are men, not because they are trans…

This dynamic is apparent in every single area of public controversy. It's an unbridgeable gulf.

guff or gulf.....
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,222
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

He could always get polio.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

File under "X hasn't happened since the last time it happened".

It's a big file.
    Plus Trump/RDS ticket cannot happen either.

Both are from Florida and that buggers up the electoral college voters.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    algarkirk said:

IanB2 said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Not being RC I have no dog in the fight but just wonder whether the religion that has a billion followers including the POTUS and produced Aquinas and St Francis may be a little more subtle than is described here.

By the way neither religion nor irreligion nor communism nor political ideology tortures and kills. People torture and kill.

Agreed and despite being Protestant Anglican myself I do recognise the great cathedrals and art the Roman Catholic Church has built and sponsored and the charity it provides and schools and hospitals and universities it has founded.

It also remains steadfast to a strict biblical line even in a more liberal age, especially in the West, in not agreeing to divorce, women priests and bishops, married priests and non celibate priests, homosexual marriage, abortion etc. So while I may disagree with it on much of that it does have clear principles
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,265
    edited January 2023

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I can’t disabrie
    Zola Budd was a she. She famously tripped up Mary Decker during the 3,000 metres race at the LA Olympics (1984).
  • Options

Yvette Cooper got herself into a slightly strange position the other day suggesting that no person who has committed crimes against women should be put in a women's prison. I'm guessing there are already a fair number of biological females in women's prisons who have committed crimes against women.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Just because anything you can do, I can do feta.
    What's the most popular type of steam train in India?

Paneer Tank!

(I thank you!)
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I can’t disabrie
    Zola Budd was a she. She famously tripped up Mary Decker during the 3,000 metres race at the LA Olympics (1984).
    "It's a long way to trip up Mary..."
    I was thinking more that despite her best efforts on Zola Budd Mary failed to Decker.
  • Options
    Obvious question: Would Yvette Cooper say that no one who has committed crimes against men should be put in a men's prison?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,195
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

RDS doesn't get to be Trump's VP unless Trump moves State.

The key issue is this. Any wannabee GOP Presidential nominee has a choice to make. You either run against Trump, in which case you have to, y'know, actually criticise him, and point out that he lost the 2020 election, or you have to support him for the 2024 election.

They're all too cowardly/realistic about the hold Trump has on the GOP grassroots to criticise him, or contradict his lie about winning in 2020, so they can't possibly seriously run against him. How can your pitch to the primary voters be, "Trump was the rightful winner of the 2020 election, he's a great guy, the Democrats stole the election from him, and we should let them get away with that by not voting for Trump in 2024." It doesn't make any sense.

So all the other possible runners are left hoping for an actuarial or judicial solution to the Trump problem.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Nixon?

Edit - also Mondale.
  • Options

Supposing Trump loses again to Biden?
    Trump 2028?
    2028? Trump is 76 years old now. Realistically, this is his last throw of the dice.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I can’t disabrie
    It positively has. Sorry.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Nixon?

Edit - also Mondale.
    Nixon was IKE's VP and IKE won in 1952 and 1956.

Nixon lost as the presidential candidate in 1960, he never lost as the VP GOP nominee.

Mondale was elected VP in 1976 when Carter won, so that would be a different scenario as Trump would still have to win in 2024 with DeSantis on the ticket for equivalence
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Nixon?

Edit - also Mondale.

Nixon lost as the presidential candidate in 1960, he never lost as the VP GOP nominee.

Mondale was elected VP in 1976 when Carter won, so that would be a different scenario as Trump would still have to win in 2024 with DeSantis on the ticket for equivalence
    He also lost in 1980.

Nixon was of course the last previously defeated presidential candidate to date - as opposed to primary nominee - to be elected President.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Nixon?

Edit - also Mondale.

He also lost in 1980.

Nixon was of course the last previously defeated presidential candidate to date - as opposed to primary nominee - to be elected President.
    Yes but we were talking VP candidates
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Nixon?

Edit - also Mondale.

He also lost in 1980.

And Mondale was a defeated VP candidate.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Nixon?

Edit - also Mondale.

He also lost in 1980.

And Mondale was a defeated VP candidate.
    Mondale was the elected Vice President in 1980 when he lost with Carter. He won as VP candidate in 1976.

So that is not the same situation at all as Trump picking DeSantis in 2024 as his VP and the ticket losing, Trump-DeSantis would have to win in 2024 to be the equivalent of Carter-Mondale (even if DeSantis went on to lose in 2028 when he was incumbent VP)
This discussion has been closed.