Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

By generation how party support has shifted since GE2019 – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,613
    Will the Supreme Court Torpedo the Financial System?
    Conservative justices may soon have to decide how far to go in their assault on the regulatory state
    https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/01/18/supreme-court-financial-system-justices-00078124
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,263
    HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

“Bold prediction:

50% of university enrollment will disappear in the next 10 years.”

https://twitter.com/chrisboettcher9/status/1615711362466078722?s=46&t=yIBjpkurM1GU7Z9F67jOmw

He’s probably right

He probably isn't.
    Why would a doc/runner apparently turned quack personal motivator not be right about this?
    He could be. The elephant in the room for the past 30 years has been, wtf are the humanities actually for? Now that GPT has made them into a perfect closed loop, why borrow 50k to "study" them?
    Those things called 'humanities' in academia are, for me basically those things that make life interesting and worthwhile. History, philosophy, literature, music, ideas, anthropology, politics and so on.

The though of 'doing' them at HE level for some other ulterior reason like getting better jobs is just meaningless and repellent.

If people want to read King Lear or the Eumenides because they want a better HR job in a widget factory and not because they love the stuff, then close the institution and open the library to the public.

BTW let us all know when AI produces something as worthwhile as Emma, Barnaby Rudge, Kant's first critique, the Summa contra Gentiles, Einstein's 1905 papers or the Origin of Species.
    Roughly Michael Gove's position, iirc, on the value of a humanities or liberal arts education. A right wing position here but left wing in America.
    Rather than right wing or left wing maybe the words needed are more like 'humanist'. Humanities are the weapons with and from which people can evaluate and appraise all political posturing.

Humaities students are the twats that gift us things like cultural appropriation frankly they can go die in a fire they have no use whatsoever
    As a former humanities student, can I just say f*ck off.
    What big advance has humanity studies ever given us? Please tell. Now do some humanities students do well and enhance the place yes....generally not through the humanities studies they did. You are a case in point....you studied humanites...your contributions to society however are not humanity based
    What an ignorant and philistine statement? Where would our historians, archaeologists and philosophers come from if not for humanities? You don't just need to teach and research it either, plenty of museum curators, journalists, actors, authors and poets and senior civil servants studied humanities today.

As did a few PMs and top politicians, Harold Wilson and Gordon Brown, Douglas Hurd and George Osborne read History and Boris Johnson read classics and Andy Burnham read English. It probably made them more rounded than doing a social science degree like PPE or Politics.

The King read History too of course and the Princess of Wales read History of Art
    What period of history did you spend most time on?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

Culture wars are killing the Tories.

They've had plenty of warning from me about this, I said people will say "I can't afford to eat why on Earth are you telling me about trans rights"

Why does your argument not apply to the SNP then? There are plenty of issues for Scot Gov to deal with, which are far more important to most people than this and yet the SNP have been focused on it despite its unpopularity, according to polls.

So using your analysis - which I agree will be the response of a lot of voters - why has this not affected the SNP in the same way?

And if it hasn't, what does this tell us, if anything?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,263

Police are looking into Rishi Sunak’s admission that he failed to wear a seatbelt while filming a video for his Instagram account in the back of a moving vehicle – an apparent breach of the law.

A spokesman for Lancashire Constabulary said on Thursday evening they were aware of matter and were making inquiries. According to his government’s own safety campaign, any driver or passenger not wearing a seatbelt is breaking the law and is liable to be fined up to £500.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jan/19/sunak-apologises-for-failing-to-wear-seatbelt-while-filming-in-car

While travelling back from running the London Marathon a few years back I travelled for 30 mins on the M3 after Fleet without my seatbelt on. I think I
    I was just too knackered to realise. As soon as I did I felt weird and put it straight on.
    It’s such an automatic thing for most people. I kinda wonder if he’s done this before, just not been noticed.
    In my experience I've never noticed people not wearing seatbelts except sometimes in the back of taxis. I don't know why the difference, but Sunak strikes me as someone who would have taken a lot of taxis, and may have consequently dropped the habit as a result.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

Police are looking into Rishi Sunak’s admission that he failed to wear a seatbelt while filming a video for his Instagram account in the back of a moving vehicle – an apparent breach of the law.

A spokesman for Lancashire Constabulary said on Thursday evening they were aware of matter and were making inquiries. According to his government’s own safety campaign, any driver or passenger not wearing a seatbelt is breaking the law and is liable to be fined up to £500.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jan/19/sunak-apologises-for-failing-to-wear-seatbelt-while-filming-in-car

While travelling back from running the London Marathon a few years back I travelled for 30 mins on the M3 after Fleet without my seatbelt on. I think I
    I was just too knackered to realise. As soon as I did I felt weird and put it straight on.
    It’s such an automatic thing for most people. I kinda wonder if he’s done this before, just not been noticed.
    In my experience I've never noticed people not wearing seatbelts except sometimes in the back of taxis. I don't know why the difference, but Sunak strikes me as someone who would have taken a lot of taxis, and may have consequently dropped the habit as a result.
    Even in Italy, those white t-shirts with the black stripe diagonally across fhe front of them, aren’t selling like they used to.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

Selebian said:

kinabalu said:

Selebian said:

carnforth said:

Have we done this? Gummer and the burger redux

Lee Anderson MP
    @LeeAndersonMP_
    Katy works for me. She is single & earns less than 30k, rents a room for £775pcm in Central London, has student debt, £120 a month on travelling to work saves money every month, goes on foreign holidays & does not need to use a foodbank.

Katy makes my point really well.

https://twitter.com/LeeAndersonMP_/status/1616005190036987906

Tbf Katy looks good on Lee Anderson's prescribed diet of 30p meals and value brand Weetabix.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ranting-tory-mp-lee-anderson-28846047.amp

I sometimes wonder what old school Tory nasties like Chope make of social climber 30p Lee?
    I eat my share of value brand products, but I draw the line at fake Weetabix. Not even close to the real thing.
    We switched to own-brand all-bran a while back (it's among my kids' favourites because it looks like sticks - have managed to convince the younger eater that it isprocessed sticks, I think, athough she also refers to it, quite descriptively, as "all brown"). They do taste different; took a while to realise (comparing two packets' ingredients/nutrition) that the main difference is that the 'real' one is stuffed with a lot more salt. Having got used to the own-brand one, I think I now prefer it.

Weetabix - can any variation be worse than the real thing? Although I must admit I'm the only non-eater in my family.
    The issue with Weetabix is with the milk. Too much or too little renders it soggy/dry respectively and the landing zone between the two is very narrow (compared to say Cornflakes). I gave up long ago. Life's too short.
    Dunno, I'm pretty sure the issue with Weetabix is the Weetabix. It's horrible with or without milk in whatever quantity. Milk is fine without Weetabix :smile:
    Heretic, Weetabix is second only to Porridge, Oat Chruchies and Corn flakes
    That's fourth then.
    Wot, no Crunchy Nut Cornflakes?

Fifth....
    No breakfast is even getting started until it has bacon and/or/both eggs. Honourable mention to kippers though. (That's a PB first!)
    Bacon and eggs is massively lifted by black pudding....
    In a bit of a nap in the afternoon way. Certainly!
    Relatedly - I wonder if PB can help with a non-urgent medical condition

Out here in Bangkok I’ve developed a sudden habit of sleeping - quite heavily - for an hour or two after supper. I ascribed it to jet lag but it is persisting. Hmm

Doctor Google says I should not worry it’s “post prandial somnolence” and quite common. But I’ve never had it before and it is beginning to irritate. Also it could be awkward if I dine out - then slump forward, snoring, into the sorbet

Otherwise I feel fine. Indeed robustly healthy - sun, gym and swim

Anyone got any ideas? Anyone had this?
    You are an old codger
This discussion has been closed.