Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Could we see a speech like this at a 2023 party conference? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    edited January 2023

kle4 said:

"Classified material, next to your Corvette - what were you thinking?" one reporter asks.

Biden says the documents were in a locked garage, "not sitting out in the street".

"People know I take classified material seriously," he says.

Yes, sorry if this has been flagged before but looks like there is at "least one" other batch of classified materials out there,

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/biden-aides-find-second-batch-classified-documents-new-location-rcna65371

Certainly a godsend to the Republicans this story. Doesn't need to have the same level of material or chaotic storage, or repeated obfuscation or obstruction from authorities trying to get hold of it, it opens to door to direct accusations of hypocrisy vs Trump.
    It was kind of inevitable.

Bit like every time someone in US politics starts braying about illegal immigration. Yes, the maid he is cheating on his wife with, is almost certainly....

Or someone starts off about gun control, and turns out to have an FFL.
    Exactly. If the Democrats hadn't been massive, massive opportunists about Trump nicking papers, there would be next to no issue now.
    Nevertheless, if either of them has in fact broken the law in respect of handling of papers, it should be pursued. Trump's situation is more advanced, and Biden being vulnerable is no excuse for his actions, even if anything on Biden's part needs looking into as well (and may or may not rise to the same level).

Trump's case is interesting as unlike many of the potential cases against him his intent is apparently not relevant (eg in many cases his ignorance of the law or belief in something, even if irrational, would give him a credible defence), and his wilful obstructiveness over the whole affair is just bizarre.

He will attempt to paint the situations as the same, but the facts may not support that - Trump seems to have held onto papers (for no clear reason) he is not entitled to, asserted privilege to them that does not exist because he is not the sitting president (and their being declassified or not would not change that), and taken a great deal. Has Biden done that? Well, he's aided by being President for a start, but how he responds to charges of improper handling is rather important - Trump said he returned all papers and it was revealed hadn't, he didn't respond or take action when asked in some cases etc etc.

It's not like he was raided at the first hint he had papers improperly stored, there was months of attempted engagement and run arounds. He would do well to learn you can prevent a headache later by just responding harmoniously in the first place.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Leon said:

This is an actual exchange I just had with ChatGPT. This is how good it is at making shit students sound smart

Me: Plz rite personal statement to top class university. I want go study English ther

ChatGPT: “As an avid reader and writer, I am excited to pursue a degree in English at your esteemed university. I have always been drawn to the power of language and the way it can be used to express thoughts, emotions, and ideas. Through my studies, I hope to gain a deeper understanding of literature and its role in shaping culture and society. I am eager to engage in discussions and debates with my peers and professors, and to learn from their diverse perspectives and experiences. In addition, I am eager to develop my own writing skills and to contribute to the literary community through my own creative work. I believe that the resources and opportunities at your university will provide me with the ideal environment to achieve my academic and personal goals.”

Lost me at "esteemed". No 18 year old British child is writing that.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited January 2023

Leon said:

This is an actual exchange I just had with ChatGPT. This is how good it is at making shit students sound smart

Me: Plz rite personal statement to top class university. I want go study English ther

ChatGPT: “As an avid reader and writer, I am excited to pursue a degree in English at your esteemed university. I have always been drawn to the power of language and the way it can be used to express thoughts, emotions, and ideas. Through my studies, I hope to gain a deeper understanding of literature and its role in shaping culture and society. I am eager to engage in discussions and debates with my peers and professors, and to learn from their diverse perspectives and experiences. In addition, I am eager to develop my own writing skills and to contribute to the literary community through my own creative work. I believe that the resources and opportunities at your university will provide me with the ideal environment to achieve my academic and personal goals.”

"Bring me the blandest thing on the menu"
    Has anybody tried asking it to do it in the manner of Boris Johnson? Its already a professional bullshitter, so it should be right in its wheel house.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Harry and Meghan now more unpopular with voters over 65 than Prince Andrew.

Meghan 73% have a very negative view of
    Harry 69%
    Andrew 60%

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1613476152693395458?s=20&t=fmT9Z2dUjFbXjLYYjT6WBw

Old people are properly nuts. What's going on with them?
    Just getting back to a discussion from the previous threads as to Megan vs Kate in terms of looks. There is no doubt Megan has aged better than Kate but, quite frankly, Megan looks as though she would not be fun into bed at all - Harry probably gets instructions from Megs all the time about how he needs to give her the perfect orgasm etc etc. Kate looks like she would be far more filthy.
    I expect in her younger days Camilla was the dirtiest, after all Charles left one of the most beautiful and glamorous women in the world for the Queen Consort
    A good royalist like you talking about ladies in that way in public?!
    Well she was the King's mistress, hence even now she is only Queen Consort not Queen
    She can't have been the King's mistress. They were married before CIII became CIII.

The point stands - it's extraordinary how our royalists diss the royal family members so much.
    She was when he was Prince of Wales, the fact she was married to Charles by the time he became King
    does not change that.

The Queen certainly disapproved and didn't even attend Charles' registry office wedding to Camilla, only the C of E blessing afterwards
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027

Leon said:

Has anybody tried asking it to do it in the manner of Boris Johnson? Its already a professional bullshitter, so it should be right in its wheel house.
    Someone in the Kremlin could ask it to justify the invasion of Ukraine in the style of Tony Blair.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Harry 69%
    Andrew 60%

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1613476152693395458?s=20&t=fmT9Z2dUjFbXjLYYjT6WBw

Just getting back to a discussion from the previous threads as to Megan vs Kate in terms of looks. There is no doubt Megan has aged better than Kate but, quite frankly, Megan looks as though she would not be fun into bed at all - Harry probably gets instructions from Megs all the time about how he needs to give her the perfect orgasm etc etc. Kate looks like she would be far more filthy.
    I expect in her younger days Camilla was the dirtiest, after all Charles left one of the most beautiful and glamorous women in the world for the Queen Consort
    Well she was the King's mistress, hence even now she is only Queen Consort not Queen
    She is Queen.

She is not Queen Regnant but Queen Consort and usually most people leave out the suffix in both cases. In this case I believe it is being used out of some kind of deference to the Peoples' Princess (edit: and as @Driver points out Queen Elizabeth) but she, Camilla, will soon enough be "Queen".
    No she will still be titled Queen Consort not Queen even after the coronation
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,242
    Hmmmm

Write a personal statement for a university application in the style of the comedy show Goodnes Gracious Me and specifically the Going for An English Sketch

"Goodness gracious me, I am applying to [University Name] and I tell you, I am as excited as a roti-making grandmother at a flour mill. I have always had a passion for the English language, from the way words can paint vivid images to the way a well-crafted sentence can leave you in awe. I want to delve deeper into the world of literature and immerse myself in the works of great authors. I envision myself in the university's English department, surrounded by like-minded individuals, discussing the intricacies of a novel, or analyzing a poem. I am determined to be the best student I can be and I believe this university is the perfect place to start. I am ready to take the next step in my educational journey, Goodness gracious me I can't wait to see what this university has in store for me."
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,884
    edited January 2023
    MaxPB said:

Do any university departments use the quantity of UCAS statements as a selection tool? As opposed to checking for evidence of work experience etc.

Even without AI, they really measure the degree of support from family and schools/colleges in drafting, and have been a bit rubbish as a measure of the quality of students for decades.

(The act of creating a PS is a valuable thing for a late teenager to do, for sure. Just not for the purpose everyone pretends it's useful for.)

As with many things in life it's not about the statement, it's about proving you can write something and not sound like a moron.
    Maybe, but it is hard not to sound like a moron when the task you have been given is moronic.

Statements would be perfect for ChatGPT because it produces perfect bullshit.

I've had a play and asked it a few technical questions. It basically just made the answers up from words closely associated with the general subject, as you'd expect. They were plain wrong, although totally plausible if you weren't familiar with the details.

But ask it to make up something where accuracy is irrelevant and you are away.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Harry 69%
    Andrew 60%

She is Queen.

She is not Queen Regnant but Queen Consort and usually most people leave out the suffix in both cases. In this case I believe it is being used out of some kind of deference to the Peoples' Princess (edit: and as @Driver points out Queen Elizabeth) but she, Camilla, will soon enough be "Queen".
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2022/10/14/palace-quietly-drop-consort-queen-camillas-title/
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853
    I from Greenland. I am Inuit and eat many seals. Me go fish fish in ice. Me want goCambridge college do that Physics so Imake igloo better for mammy. Plz rite aplication from Grenland to colleg do this ting and mention haddock

[verbatim]

ChatGPT: Dear Admissions Committee,

I am writing to apply for the Physics program at Cambridge College. As an Inuit from Greenland, I have a strong interest in using my education to improve the traditional igloo building techniques that are important to my community.

I have practical experience in both hunting and fishing, particularly in the challenging conditions of the Arctic. I have a deep understanding of the unique environmental conditions in my region and believe that the skills and knowledge I gain from studying physics will enable me to develop innovative solutions to the challenges faced by my community.

In addition to my passion for physics, I am also an experienced fisherman and have a particular interest in haddock. I believe that the combination of my traditional knowledge and modern education will allow me to make valuable contributions to both my community and the field of physics.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,
    [Your name]
  • Options
    Driver said:

Leon said:

Plus UCAS isn't an application to a single place, so going on about the esteem of one university would be the subtlest giveaway since the "good luck" moment in the Great Escape.

This sort of AI is only as good as its training set.
  • Options
    You’re all just quite shit at prompting, TBH
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130

UCAS application done for Chemistry...

I am applying to university because I am confident that I am ready to succeed in the field of chemistry. Throughout high school, I have taken every chemistry class available to me and excelled in them, earning top marks and gaining a deep understanding of the subject. Additionally, I participated in a research program where I had the opportunity to work in a university lab and gain hands-on experience, which further solidified my passion for chemistry and my desire to pursue it as a career. My dedication to learning and understanding the subject matter, along with the practical experience I gained, have prepared me well for the rigor and challenges of a university level chemistry program. I am excited about the opportunity to continue learning and growing in this field, and I am confident that a university education will provide me with the advanced knowledge and skills necessary to achieve my career goals.

Which research program? Where? What did you learn? What do you do outside chemistry? What do you aspire to in the future?

I probably see more UCAS applications than anyone on this forum. Assuming the work above is chatGP2 or equivalent, it’s shit. If I am to interview a student I want to know what makes them tick, what makes them different.

But in truth, some select institutions aside, currently the statement plays little role in recruitment. Predicted grades get you to interview (if there even is one). Most courses are not over subscribed, so you get an offer. Get the grades, and in you go. Would be the case for almost all chemistry degrees.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Driver said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Harry 69%
    Andrew 60%

She is Queen.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2022/10/14/palace-quietly-drop-consort-queen-camillas-title/
    Her title is HM Camilla, Queen Consort not HM Queen Camilla like HM Queen Elizabeth or HM Queen Mary as George VIth and George Vths wives were even if they were also technically Queen Consorts.

The position of Queen in her title is pivotal ie after, not before her name

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camilla,_Queen_Consort
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,066
    Cookie said:

FPT:

Leon said:

One way Britain is fucked - and this is not a partisan political point, just a cruel new reality - is Working from Home

Fact is, the UK is a shit place to be for about 5 months of the year (8 if you’re talking about Manchester and 11 and a half if you mean Scotland)

This was much less of an issue when people still needed to be near the work and the business. There was no choice. Yes Birmingham is hideous and Clapham is crowded and Glasgow is OMFG but you ain’t got no choice, sunshine. But new technology has changed all that, and the pandemic has crystallised this issue for millions of people. An awful lot of rich, clever, mobile netizens have realised they can work anywhere, and anywhere is not going to be Mud Island, which is overrun with unwanted immigrants and suffering a collapsing health system and is ALSO keen to impose higher and higher taxes on anyone dumb enough to stay in the UK

Britain’s future is this: it will be the Ebbw Vale of the world. Those who stay behind will be those too old, poor and intellectually mediocre to get out

Ok, I'll bite.
    This country is the greatest place to live in the world.
    I'm not talking about our politics, or our institutions (though I suspect the gap between how well Britain works and hiw well its contemporaries work is not as wide as some of our gloomier posters may think), nor even British people. I'm talking simpy about the place. There is simply nowhere on earth which raises my spirits more than Britain, and, in particular Northern England.
    I'm sure other nationalities view their own country just as fondly. But any time of year, there's nowhere I'd rather be than here. I just wish I had the time to get out and enjoy it more than I do.
    Yes, Britain is an extremely beautiful place. I was watching a video yesterday about a Syrian refugee family who had settled in Devon, as part of the training we are doing before we welcome a refugee family locally as part of the UK government's community resettlement programme. The family talked about seeing pictures of Britain before they arrived and said that it was so green, "like paradise". They're not wrong - although it can be a little hard to believe on a wet January night in New Cross!
  • Options
    ChatGPT’s ability to turn borderline Total Gibberish into highly plausible, literate English is actually one of its most profound yet undiscussed attributes. It is incredible, and utterly ominous for education
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Harry 69%
    Andrew 60%

She is Queen.

I don't recall Queen Consort Alexandra, Queen Consort Mary or, perforce, Queen Consort Elizabeth the Queen Mother. You have to go back to Queen Consort Caroline to find one treated so disdainfully.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Harry 69%
    Andrew 60%

She is Queen.

Her title is HM Camilla, Queen Consort not HM Queen Camilla like HM Queen Elizabeth or HM Queen Mary as George VIth and George Vths wives were even if they were also technically Queen Consorts.

At present. Read the article I linked to.

And it's "George VI" and "George V", if you can't get this simple thing right why should anyone take any notice of you?
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,136
    Driver said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Harry 69%
    Andrew 60%

She is Queen.

Yes, exactly. If Charles hangs on long enough, this will become the form of address.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,379
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

"Classified material, next to your Corvette - what were you thinking?" one reporter asks.

Biden says the documents were in a locked garage, "not sitting out in the street".

"People know I take classified material seriously," he says.

Yes, sorry if this has been flagged before but looks like there is at "least one" other batch of classified materials out there,

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/biden-aides-find-second-batch-classified-documents-new-location-rcna65371

Certainly a godsend to the Republicans this story. Doesn't need to have the same level of material or chaotic storage, or repeated obfuscation or obstruction from authorities trying to get hold of it, it opens to door to direct accusations of hypocrisy vs Trump.
    It was kind of inevitable.

Bit like every time someone in US politics starts braying about illegal immigration. Yes, the maid he is cheating on his wife with, is almost certainly....

Or someone starts off about gun control, and turns out to have an FFL.
    Exactly. If the Democrats hadn't been massive, massive opportunists about Trump nicking papers, there would be next to no issue now.
    Nevertheless, if either of them has in fact broken the law in respect of handling of papers, it should be pursued. Trump's situation is more advanced, and Biden being vulnerable is no excuse for his actions, even if anything on Biden's part needs looking into as well (and may or may not rise to the same level).

Trump's case is interesting as unlike many of the potential cases against him his intent is apparently not relevant (eg in many cases his ignorance of the law or belief in something, even if irrational, would give him a credible defence), and his wilful obstructiveness over the whole affair is just bizarre.

He will attempt to paint the situations as the same, but the facts may not support that - Trump seems to have held onto papers (for no clear reason) he is not entitled to, asserted privilege to them that does not exist because he is not the sitting president (and their being declassified or not would not change that), and taken a great deal. Has Biden done that? Well, he's aided by being President for a start, but how he responds to charges of improper handling is rather important - Trump said he returned all papers and it was revealed hadn't, he didn't respond or take action when asked in some cases etc etc.

It's not like he was raided at the first hint he had papers improperly stored, there was months of attempted engagement and run arounds. He would do well to learn you can prevent a headache later by just responding harmoniously in the first place.
    Well it's certainly true that had Trump acted as Biden has, when it was first known he was holding classified documents (ie promptly notified the relevant authorities & promptly arranged to hand them over), there would have been no suggestion of any criminal investigation.

But that doesn't mean that today's news isn't politically awkward for Biden.
  • Options

I am applying to university because I am confident that I am ready to succeed in the field of chemistry. Throughout high school, I have taken every chemistry class available to me and excelled in them, earning top marks and gaining a deep understanding of the subject. Additionally, I participated in a research program where I had the opportunity to work in a university lab and gain hands-on experience, which further solidified my passion for chemistry and my desire to pursue it as a career. My dedication to learning and understanding the subject matter, along with the practical experience I gained, have prepared me well for the rigor and challenges of a university level chemistry program. I am excited about the opportunity to continue learning and growing in this field, and I am confident that a university education will provide me with the advanced knowledge and skills necessary to achieve my career goals.

Which research program? Where? What did you learn? What do you do outside chemistry? What do you aspire to in the future?

I probably see more UCAS applications than anyone on this forum. Assuming the work above is chatGP2 or equivalent, it’s shit. If I am to interview a student I want to know what makes them tick, what makes them different.

But in truth, some select institutions aside, currently the statement plays little role in recruitment. Predicted grades get you to interview (if there even is one). Most courses are not over subscribed, so you get an offer. Get the grades, and in you go. Would be the case for almost all chemistry degrees.

What the heck is “chatGPT2”? Your panicky comments might have more authority if you know what you are talking about
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,909
    JenS said:

Sandpit said:

QTWTAIN. Wait for the coronation, which will be the biggest good news story of the year.

Oh dear. So not much else cheerful happening then. I suspect the Coronation is only on a minority of Briton's good news radar. It isn't on mine.
    If you're even neutral on the Monarchy, it will be quite a nice colourful event, and hopefully boost the tourism industry. I would imagine even H&M will be forgiven and dusted down for the event a la HMQs funeral, after which they will show their immense gratitude by doing another Netflix series about the racist snubs they received whilst attending.
    Having an extra bank holiday will certainly stir pro-royalist leanings.

It would be interesting to know what the current Jacobite heir is doing on that day. (He is - according to a site called The Jacobite Trail "Franz von Bayern of the House Of Wittelsbach. This is the great-grandson of Ludwig III, the last King of Bavaria. Jacobites would today refer to Franz as James II, as he is directly descended from Princess Henrietta-Anne, the youngest daughter of Charles I.")
    He is 89 years old and unmarried, with a long-term male partner. The direct line of succession from him leads to his niece Sophie, consort of the Prince of Liechtenstein, whose son and heir was born in London and educated at Malvern College. He is now 27 and unmarried. So a few possibilities there for unifying the Jacobite succession with the current British royal family, e.g. if he has a daughter and no son and she marries Prince George who is now 9, or

something is grafted on to other parts of the stock!
    You need to get out more.

FFS.

• Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,910

Leon said:

Leon said:

University personal statements will be scrapped in their current form amid claims they give middle-class teenagers an advantage.

Pupils applying for undergraduate degrees will no longer have to write a 47-line essay explaining why they are so passionate about the subject they wish to study.

Instead, they will be asked to answer a series of short responses to questions on topics such as their motivation for studying courses, why they are ready to succeed, and any extenuating circumstances that would help put their achievements into context.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/01/12/university-personal-statements-scrapped-favour-middle-class/

Yet more "bite-sizing" and steering of tasks.

Also, it completely ignores the existence of ChatGPT (and its successors). What value is anything in writing, now, as evidence of intellectual potential, when the machines can do the writing for you, for nothing?

These people are clueless fools
    Bite sized answers to a question like "why are you ready to succeed at " is absolutely perfect for ChatGPT.
    ChatGPT detectors already exist and are a growing area of study.

There are already plagiarism detectors out there. And they are pretty good at finding chunks of text that have been... borrowed.

{Ursula von der Leyen mutters something and looks at her shoes}
    They are not going to work. ChatGPT can vary its output and does so. Also, any student with a tiny brain can change a few words here and there, and then what? How do you “prove” plagiarism? You cannot
    When I was at university, a friend was writing an application that could track the layers of multiple authorship in documents. The idea was to be able to understand the layers of changes and revisions in old texts that have been re-coped and, often, changed by the scribes on the way. It worked by comparing styles of writing.

This kind of textual analysis has got much more sophisticated in the last 30 years.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/jan/12/college-student-claims-app-can-detect-essays-written-by-chatbot-chatgpt

Note that this guy is an undergrad student mucking around.
    I watched a short (and tbh not great) youtube video with someone taking the output of ChatGPT, using a plagiarism/AI detector - being failed, then using a different tool to rephrase the output and it passing as 99% original.

I imagine it's going to be an ongoing battle between the two.
  • Options
    Driver said:

Leon said:

A Nigerian prince looking to transfer £10m of money to you in return for some simple financial details and the use of your bank account, perhaps.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,104
    edited January 2023
    Leon said:

ChatGPT’s ability to turn borderline Total Gibberish into highly plausible, literate English is actually one of its most profound yet undiscussed attributes. It is incredible, and utterly ominous for education

Not really. It will change education. More oral assessment is a possibility, particularly if an algorithm implementation is capable enough to do the assessment.
  • Options

Leon said:

Not really. It will change education. More oral assessment is a possibility, particularly if an algorithm implementation is capable enough to do the assessment.
    NARRATOR: education as we know it is fucked
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,084
    The obvious answer to the monarchy's lack of legitimacy is to have the elected House of Commons vote to confirm the new monarch upon the death of their predecessor. That means we can push out the next Edward VIII before they happen.
  • Options
    Driver said:

HYUFD said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Harry 69%
    Andrew 60%

She is Queen.

And it's "George VI" and "George V", if you can't get this simple thing right why should anyone take any notice of you?
    As that article makes clear there are no formal plans to title her Queen Camilla, rather than Camilla, Queen Consort as the late Queen set down.
    It depends on public and media acceptance of such a move which is not there yet.

The only precedence for a British King's second wife having Queen before their name was Henry VIIIth but only after he formally stripped Catherine of Aragon of the title of Queen
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Didn't pick you as someone scared of a little change. Switching from essays to oral presentations is hardly the end times.
  • Options
    edited January 2023

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Harry 69%
    Andrew 60%

She is Queen.

I don't recall Queen Consort Alexandra, Queen Consort Mary or, perforce, Queen Consort Elizabeth the Queen Mother. You have to go back to Queen Consort Caroline to find one treated so disdainfully.
    They were all called Queen before their first name not Queen Consort after like Camilla.

Neither of them were their husband's mistress either, remember the Queen did not even attend Charles and Camilla's registry office wedding, only the C of E blessing after.

George IV was trying to divorce Caroline at the time he was crowned which was why he did not allow her to call herself Queen Caroline

• Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

TBF, @ydoethur told us that some time before you discovered AI.
  • Options

JenS said:

Sandpit said:

QTWTAIN. Wait for the coronation, which will be the biggest good news story of the year.

Oh dear. So not much else cheerful happening then. I suspect the Coronation is only on a minority of Briton's good news radar. It isn't on mine.
    If you're even neutral on the Monarchy, it will be quite a nice colourful event, and hopefully boost the tourism industry. I would imagine even H&M will be forgiven and dusted down for the event a la HMQs funeral, after which they will show their immense gratitude by doing another Netflix series about the racist snubs they received whilst attending.

It would be interesting to know what the current Jacobite heir is doing on that day. (He is - according to a site called The Jacobite Trail "Franz von Bayern of the House Of Wittelsbach. This is the great-grandson of Ludwig III, the last King of Bavaria. Jacobites would today refer to Franz as James II, as he is directly descended from Princess Henrietta-Anne, the youngest daughter of Charles I.")
    He is 89 years old and unmarried, with a long-term male partner. The direct line of succession from him leads to his niece Sophie, consort of the Prince of Liechtenstein, whose son and heir was born in London and educated at Malvern College. He is now 27 and unmarried. So a few possibilities there for unifying the Jacobite succession with the current British royal family, e.g. if he has a daughter and no son and she marries Prince George who is now 9, or

FFS.

You need to learn some manners and stop being rude to people for discussing a little trivia.
  • Options
    WillG said:

The obvious answer to the monarchy's lack of legitimacy is to have the elected House of Commons vote to confirm the new monarch upon the death of their predecessor. That means we can push out the next Edward VIII before they happen.

Perhaps in a grand Brexit compromise we can have a new Act of Succession to make Ursula von der Leyen Queen. She has enough children that the dynasty won't be short of heirs or spares.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,059
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Harry 69%
    Andrew 60%

Good boy!

She's not my Queen.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,110
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

TBF, @ydoethur told us that some time before you discovered AI.
    Why the past tense? I'm still telling you that.
  • Options

Leon said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-uEx_hEXAM
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Didn't pick you as someone scared of a little change. Switching from essays to oral presentations is hardly the end times.
    In this case, though, Leon is right that the implications of AI - certainly within just a few years time - are going to be rather more disruptive than that.
  • Options
    WillG said:

The problem with that approach is that you create an interregnum where there is no monarch. Although, it's what the Accession Council does already, at least in form.

You could have a public election for the next Prince[ss] of Wales following the accession of a new monarch, with the candidates being the monarch's children. Perhaps delayed until all the children were adults, on the basis that if they were undertake there would be a Regency anyway.
  • Options
    WillG said:

They effectively do via the accession Council which includes the Government and most senior opposition party leaders
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

AI is a bit more significant than that, educationally. For starters, it is a huge demotivator

Why bother learning ANYTHING when the puters can do it all? And so on and so forth

As I have said before, education in most fields will go from necessity to pleasant luxury. Like learning the clarinet to stage 5. Few people can be bothered to do that, if you only reach stage 5 why bother anyway, nonetheless a few admirable souls will have a bash and be able to do a poor Mozart sonata at the end, even as the machine plays clarinet like an archangel
  • Options

Cookie said:

FPT:

Leon said:

One way Britain is fucked - and this is not a partisan political point, just a cruel new reality - is Working from Home

Fact is, the UK is a shit place to be for about 5 months of the year (8 if you’re talking about Manchester and 11 and a half if you mean Scotland)

This was much less of an issue when people still needed to be near the work and the business. There was no choice. Yes Birmingham is hideous and Clapham is crowded and Glasgow is OMFG but you ain’t got no choice, sunshine. But new technology has changed all that, and the pandemic has crystallised this issue for millions of people. An awful lot of rich, clever, mobile netizens have realised they can work anywhere, and anywhere is not going to be Mud Island, which is overrun with unwanted immigrants and suffering a collapsing health system and is ALSO keen to impose higher and higher taxes on anyone dumb enough to stay in the UK

Britain’s future is this: it will be the Ebbw Vale of the world. Those who stay behind will be those too old, poor and intellectually mediocre to get out

Ok, I'll bite.
    I'm not talking about our politics, or our institutions (though I suspect the gap between how well Britain works and hiw well its contemporaries work is not as wide as some of our gloomier posters may think), nor even British people. I'm talking simpy about the place. There is simply nowhere on earth which raises my spirits more than Britain, and, in particular Northern England.
    I'm sure other nationalities view their own country just as fondly. But any time of year, there's nowhere I'd rather be than here. I just wish I had the time to get out and enjoy it more than I do.
    Yes, Britain is an extremely beautiful place. I was watching a video yesterday about a Syrian refugee family who had settled in Devon, as part of the training we are doing before we welcome a refugee family locally as part of the UK government's community resettlement programme. The family talked about seeing pictures of Britain before they arrived and said that it was so green, "like paradise". They're not wrong - although it can be a little hard to believe on a wet January night in New Cross!
    Our countryside is wonderful, as is much of our architectural heritage. The main things that make the place look shit in places are the hideous brutalism of the post-war period, a lack of greenery outside of parks in many towns, and general lack of maintenance of outside space. Places like Denver and Sydney make British towns, including London, seem very dowdy.
  • Options
    Leon said:

What the heck is “chatGPT2”? Your panicky comments might have more authority if you know what you are talking about
    You knew what I meant. It’s been discussed at the uni, and clearly represents challenges for essays etc going forward. I think our plagiarism software may well flag up a lot of the content, but we’ll see.

You clearly have no idea about uni applications though.
  • Options

JenS said:

Sandpit said:

FFS.

Au contraire, I rather enjoyed this ultra royalist intervention
  • Options

WillG said:

Perhaps in a grand Brexit compromise we can have a new Act of Succession to make Ursula von der Leyen Queen. She has enough children that the dynasty won't be short of heirs or spares.
    She certainly has the German aristocratic stock necessary.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

I was chatting to a lecturer friend about 'the ChatGPT problem'. One of his first-year classes has 400 students. Doing oral presentations with them all would be problematic.
  • Options

Leon said:

You knew what I meant. It’s been discussed at the uni, and clearly represents challenges for essays etc going forward. I think our plagiarism software may well flag up a lot of the content, but we’ll see.

You clearly have no idea about uni applications though.
    Well, i don’t need to know, do I? Uni applications are finished, as we know them
  • Options
    WillG said:

Cookie said:

FPT:

Leon said:

Ok, I'll bite.
    Our countryside is wonderful, as is much of our architectural heritage. The main things that make the place look shit in places are the hideous brutalism of the post-war period, a lack of greenery outside of parks in many towns, and general lack of maintenance of outside space. Places like Denver and Sydney make British towns, including London, seem very dowdy.
    It's striking how different the country looks compared to this 1954 look at Britain from America:

https://twitter.com/bo66ie29/status/1612179946440478729
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I was chatting to a lecturer friend about 'the ChatGPT problem'. One of his first-year classes has 400 students. Doing oral presentations with them all would be problematic.
    Yes, but so is marking 400 essays.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Harry 69%
    Andrew 60%

Good boy!

She's not my Queen.
    Even Queen Elizabeth II did not want her to be Queen Camilla too
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Harry 69%
    Andrew 60%

She is Queen.

As that article makes clear there are no formal plans to title her Queen Camilla, rather than Camilla, Queen Consort as the late Queen set down.

It depends on public and media acceptance of

such a move which is not there yet.

The only precedence for a British King's second wife having Queen before their name was Henry VIIIth but only after he formally stripped Catherine of Aragon of the title of Queen
    Yawn. Who cares? She is Queen Cammy, get used to it.

• Options
    ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

We will need more university assessors! As I have said, technology always creates as many new jobs as it destroys!
  • Options

WillG said:

The problem with that approach is that you create an interregnum where there is no monarch. Although, it's what the Accession Council does already, at least in form.

You could have a public election for the next Prince[ss] of Wales following the accession of a new monarch, with the candidates being the monarch's children. Perhaps delayed until all the children were adults, on the basis that if they were undertake there would be a Regency anyway.
    Walesing them immediately rather than having a separate investiture later was obviously designed to minimize protest opportunities.
  • Options
    edited January 2023

HYUFD said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Harry 69%
    Andrew 60%

She is Queen.

No she isn't.

Just 20% of voters want her to become Queen Camilla compared to 39% who wanted her to be Camilla, Queen/Princess Consort and 20% who want her to have no title at all.

Even most Tory voters don't want her to become Queen Camilla

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/should-the-duchess-of-cornwall-become-queen-if-prince-charle-becomes-king
  • Options
    Leon said:

JenS said:

Sandpit said:

FFS.

Au contraire, I rather enjoyed this ultra royalist

intervention
    You need to get out more too. Get off ChatBot Grand Prix and meet some women.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

In 5 years time AI implants will be Leon's next big thing. In 20 years they will be reality.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Harry 69%
    Andrew 60%

She is Queen.

As that article makes clear there are no formal plans to title her Queen Camilla
    Yet.
  • Options
    WashU just emailed about the use of AI in coursework
    https://twitter.com/JeffreyRMillman/status/1612842572241567744
  • Options
    WillG said:

Cookie said:

FPT:

Leon said:

Ok, I'll bite.
    Funnily enough I spent the best part of a week in Denver, Colorado, about two months back

It is quite easy to keep a downtown spruce and clean when there is no one in it. Post plague Denver is DESERTED. It is a huge problem. Entire blocks are unvisited from week to week. Commuters have vanished. The town livens up at night when people want to drink and eat but the urban economy is cratering. It is very sad (Denver people used this phrase to me: “very sad”)

I’m not sure if it can be solved. Are these people ever coming back? Why would they? America loves its cars and its suburbs and it loves WFH

it doesn’t help that the last people left in downtown Denver are gibberish loons sent mad by all the ultra strong legal weed

Britain is in steep decline, possibly absolute decline. But so is much of the USA, albeit for very different reasons
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

At least marking 400 essays can be done anonymously.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,524
    Leon said:

Very poor. Candidate rejected. No evidence that s/he has actually read a book in their lives, except maybe "How to bullshit your way into university".
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,098
    The striking thing is how little Liz Truss's presentational skills improved over the 28 years before the became prime minister. In some respects, I think they went backwards a bit.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,437
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Harry 69%
    Andrew 60%

Good boy!

She's not my Queen.
    Legally she’s Queen Camilla.

I think the Queen Consort title is less about her history and more about the fact that we’ve had a Queen Regnant for so long (and such a beloved one) that the optics would have looked a bit weird.
  • Options

Leon said:

JenS said:

Sandpit said:

FFS.

intervention
    Lol. I’m in BANGKOK

Nightlife and company is not an issue. I got hammered on Soi 8 last night. Great fun. Bangkok is blissful at this time of year
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Harry 69%
    Andrew 60%

She is Queen.

No she isn't.

Just 20% of voters want her to become Queen Camilla compared to 39% who wanted her to be Camilla, Queen/Princess Consort and 20% who want her to have no title at all.

Even most Tory voters don't want her to become
    Queen Camilla

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/should-the-duchess-of-cornwall-become-queen-if-prince-charle-becomes-king
    Who cares? She is Queen Cammy of Olde England and there’s nothing you, me or YouGov can do about it.

Ideally she’d be simple Cammy, and Chas, simple Chas, and we’d end this cruel muppet show and get on with our lives.
  • Options
    Update on OpenAI/Microsoft deal terms:

Once $92 billion in profit plus $13 billion in initial investment are repaid [to Microsoft and once the other venture investors earn $150 billion, all of the equity reverts back to OpenAI

https://twitter.com/nonmayorpete/status/1613234091197071360

Might take a while, mind.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,098
    HYUFD said:

Given Truss ended up the most unpopular and short lived PM for over 100 years I doubt it. Note too significantly more still want a monarchy than not. 80% of Conservative voters oppose a monarchy referendum so it will not happen under a Tory government certainly. Yet even 51% of Labour voters oppose a referendum on the monarchy too

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/09/18/monarchy-sees-minor-improvement-public-opinion

Plus Prince Charles with a 62% positive rating and Prince William with 70% positive are also far more popular than Starmer and Sunak and indeed more popular than the institution of monarchy overall

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2023/01/12/prince-harrys-popularity-falls-further-spare-hits-

"Prince Charles"? Do you mean the King?
  • Options
    JenS said:

Sandpit said:

He is 89 years old and unmarried, with a long-term male partner. The direct line of succession from him leads to his niece Sophie, consort of the Prince of Liechtenstein, whose son and heir was born in London and educated at Malvern College. He is now 27 and unmarried. So a few possibilities there for unifying the Jacobite succession with the current British royal family, e.g. if he has a daughter and no son and she marries Prince George who is now 9, or something is grafted on to other parts of the stock!
    Perhaps worth noting, that the tune for the National Anthem of Liechtenstein ("Oben am jungen Rhein") is identical to the tune for "God Save the King".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oben_am_jungen_Rhein

Coincidence? Kismet?? OR is it Conspiracy???
  • Options
    Leon said:

WillG said:

Cookie said:

FPT:

Leon said:

Ok, I'll bite.
    Funnily enough I spent the best part of a week in Denver, Colorado, about two months back

It is quite easy to keep a downtown spruce and clean when there is no one in it. Post plague Denver is DESERTED. It is a huge problem. Entire blocks are unvisited from week to week. Commuters have vanished. The town livens up at night when people want to drink and eat but the urban economy is cratering. It is very sad (Denver people used this phrase to me: “very sad”)

I’m not sure if it can be solved. Are these people ever coming back? Why would they? America loves its cars and its suburbs and it loves WFH

it doesn’t help that the last people left in downtown Denver are gibberish loons sent mad by all the ultra strong legal weed

Britain is in steep decline, possibly absolute decline. But so is much of the USA, albeit for very different reasons
    Denver was clean and spruced up even before COVID. Most cities in the US will come back, even if takes time, especially nice places like Denver. The advantage of WFH is that you can then live where you want. And while older folks want to retreat to rural idyll, younger people want to be in fun, urban places. There is just a bit of churn in property ownership that needs to happen first.
  • Options
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Given Truss ended up the most unpopular and short lived PM for over 100 years I doubt it. Note too significantly more still want a monarchy than not. 80% of Conservative voters oppose a monarchy referendum so it will not happen under a Tory government certainly. Yet even 51% of Labour voters oppose a referendum on the monarchy too

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/09/18/monarchy-sees-minor-improvement-public-opinion

Plus Prince Charles with a 62% positive rating and Prince William with 70% positive are also far more popular than Starmer and Sunak and indeed more popular than the institution of monarchy overall

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2023/01/12/prince-harrys-popularity-falls-further-spare-hits-

Treachery.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

JenS said:

Sandpit said:

FFS.

intervention
    Lol. I’m in BANGKOK

Nightlife and company is not an issue. I got

hammered on Soi 8 last night. Great fun. Bangkok is blissful at this time of year
    Lol. Okay, that’s some progress. Now do more of that and less ‘liking’ of the sycophantic royal anilingus on PB.

• Options
    Driver said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Harry 69%
    Andrew 60%

She is Queen.

It's not right!

Charles and Camilla like Edward and Mrs Simpson before them should be exiled to Al Fayed's gaff near Paris. Same crime, same punishment.

Just to make things even worse I'd install Paul Burrell as their butler.
  • Options
    edited January 2023

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Marking essays is - just about - doable for the course. But if every student even has to give a five minute presentation, even with just a couple of minutes faff on either side then it becomes a real problem. As WillG says - hire more people to do them. But between there and here - it's a problem.

Edit: meant to say that one saving grace is that OpenAI will probably start charging for use sometime soon and that might be enough of a barrier for a while until there's a 'good enough' open source tool.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Harry 69%
    Andrew 60%

Good boy!

She's not my Queen.
    Now there was a proper Queen.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Similar debate (and investment) going on in drug discovery.

Will AI turbocharge the hunt for new drugs?

Advocates point to the pandemic as proof of its value in healthcare even as critics dismiss its use in drug discovery as ‘hype’
    https://www.ft.com/content/3e57ad6c-493d-4874-a663-0cb200d3cdb5
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Harry 69%
    Andrew 60%

She is Queen.

Speaking of 2nd wives of English kings . . . Queen Isabella says "Yo!"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isabella_of_Valois

In 1396 negotiations started about marrying six-year-old Isabella to the widower Richard II, King of England (1367–1400), who was twenty-three years her senior, to ensure peace between their countries. The fact that she was a child was discussed, but King Richard said that each day would rectify that problem . . . .

Isabella told the English envoys (who described her as pretty) that she was happy to be Queen of England as she had been told that this would make her a great lady. . . .

After the wedding Isabella went to England with her new husband, where she was moved into Windsor Castle in Berkshire. She had her own court, supervised by a governess and chief lady-in-waiting, Lady de Coucy (later replaced by Lady Mortimer). She was crowned Queen of England in Westminster Abbey in 1397. . . .
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    HYUFD said:

Harry 69%
    Andrew 60%

The state of that.
  • Options
    WillG said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

Cookie said:

FPT:

Leon said:

Ok, I'll bite.

Denver was clean and spruced up even before COVID. Most cities in the US will come back, even if takes time, especially nice places like Denver. The advantage of WFH is that you can then live where you want. And while older folks want to retreat to rural idyll, younger people want to be in fun, urban places. There is just a bit of churn in property ownership that needs to happen first.
    Well, they could always move to “fun, urban” downtown Los Angeles. Just need a bit of churn in property ownership

https://twitter.com/lesstenny/status/1611602744502292481?s=61&t=yMeZ4BJKBte7sagPHGHeEQ

(this is an extraordinary video, btw, and gives a sense of the scale of the homeless/drug disaster in some of America’s cities)
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,242

Leon said:

Leon said:

In 5 years time AI implants will be Leon's next big thing. In 20 years they will be reality.
    Steady on!

I can believe many things. Some are quite a strange.

But @Leon’s “next big thing” being “reality”?!

There I draw the line.
  • Options
    Oddly enough I've just had an email from LinkedIn asking if I thought students will cheat with chatGPT and if we would be able to spot it. Of course some will try. Some will get it marked too.
  • Options

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Hmmm. Yeeees.

1) He has denied the King
    2) Since the King is divinely appointed, this is heresy.
    3) heretics are basically witches
    4) he is very wooden
    5) anyone got some big scales and a duck?
    Build a bridge out of him.
  • Options

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Hmmm. Yeeees.

4) he is very wooden
    I order you to be quiet.
  • Options
    . . . product more suitable for KMart than for WalMart?

The Hill - Walmart removes ‘inappropriate’ boots from online marketplace: ‘Inconsistent with our values’

Walmart has removed a pair of boots from its online marketplace after it was determined the item violated the company’s “prohibited product policy,” according to the retailer.

The boots, which were offered by a third-party seller on the company’s Walmart Marketplace, were emblazoned with the letters “KKK” on the tongue of each shoe.

t’s unclear why the letters — which are commonly associated with the Ku Klux Klan — were printed on the $50 boots. The third-party seller appeared to be a company called “Harsuny,” and the footwear was listed as only “Men’s Tactical Military Hiking Ankle Boot Outdoor Trekking Shoes,” according to a screengrab of the item’s listing shared by the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), who reportedly brought the issue to Walmart’s attention on Saturday.

SSI - here is screenshot of the KKK boots:

https://twitter.com/CAIRNational/status/1611831577352327174

https://thehill.com/homenews/nexstar_media_wire/3808846-walmart-removes-inappropriate-boots-from-online-marketplace-inconsistent-with-our-values/

SSI - So the Woke has managed to cancel a perfectly good pair of hiking boots?

Meaning you must not just talk the talk, but walk the Woke!
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Oddly enough I've just had an email from LinkedIn asking if I thought students will cheat with chatGPT and if we would be able to spot it. Of course some will try. Some will get it marked too.

Idiots will submit the generated text and get caught, smart kids will treat it as a first draft and I suspect that they will get away with it.

Mind you there might already be some good AI driven obfuscators, so perhaps all the smart kids will do is pipe the output of ChatGPT through one of those.
  • Options

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Hmmm. Yeeees.

4) he is very wooden
    Build a bridge out of him.
    Would that be a mostly medieval fabric?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Harry 69%
    Andrew 60%

She is Queen.

Speaking of 2nd wives of English kings . . . Queen Isabella says "Yo!"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isabella_of_Valois

In 1396 negotiations started about marrying six-year-old Isabella to the widower Richard II, King of England (1367–1400), who was twenty-three years her senior, to ensure peace between their countries. The fact that she was a child was discussed, but King Richard said that each day would rectify that problem . . . .

Isabella told the English envoys (who described her as pretty) that she was happy to be Queen of England as she had been told that this would make her a great lady. . . .

After the wedding Isabella went to England with her new husband, where she was moved into Windsor Castle in Berkshire. She had her own court, supervised by a governess and chief lady-in-waiting, Lady de Coucy (later replaced by Lady Mortimer). She was crowned Queen of England in Westminster Abbey in 1397. . . .
    Richard II was a widower, he was not having sexual relations with Isabella when he was still married to Anne of Bohemia
  • Options
    Queens come in several convenient varieties:

Queen Regnant = ruling monarch

Queen Consort = wife of ruling monarch, the King

Queen Dowager = widow of (a) previous King

Queen Mother = a Queen Dowager who is also the mother of ruling monarch
  • Options
    Fuck the royals.

Take back control from our unelected rulers.

Adulterers should be stoned.
  • Options

Don’t forget Queens like Leon.
  • Options
    edited January 2023

Fuck the royals.

I thought the whole point of these adulterers was that they were fucking the royals?
  • Options

There's so many bad jokes I could make here.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,364
    Leon said:

WillG said:

Cookie said:

FPT:

Leon said:

Ok, I'll bite.

But British cities certainly aren't deserted. Peak time patronage on Metrolink in Manchester, for example, is now at about 90% of pre-covid levels - basically at about 2016 levels. And I don't think Mamchester's unique in this respect.
    Retail is struggling a bit. Every city and large town has its abandoned Debenhams. But it's nothing like the devastation 2008 caused.
    And soon enough, vacant units will be refilled. That's the way the market works.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Leon said:

Lol. I’m in BANGKOK

We were wondering where you where, not what you were doing....
  • Options
    According to unofficialroyalty.com there have been 6 Queens of England or United Kingdom who were 2nd wives of the then-ruling King:

> Queen Adeliza of Louvain, 2nd wife of King Henry I
    > Queen Margaret of France, 2nd wife of King Edward I
    > Queen Isabella of Valois, 2nd wife of King Richard II
    > Queen Joan of Navarre, 2nd wife of King Henry IV
    > Queen Anne Boleyn, 2nd wife of King Henry VIII
    > Queen Maria Beatrice of Modena, 2nd wife of King James II

List does NOT include 3rd, 4th, 5th & 6th wifes of King Henry VII. Add them in, and number of Queens who were NOT their hubby's first wifey climbs to double digits.

Does include 2nd wives of Kings whose first wives were never Queen, because their husband was NOT yet King = Queen Joan (Henry IV) and Queen Maria Beatrice (James II).
  • Options
    Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

Cookie said:

FPT:

Leon said:

Ok, I'll bite.

Well, they could always move to “fun, urban” downtown Los Angeles. Just need a bit of churn in property ownership

https://twitter.com/lesstenny/status/1611602744502292481?s=61&t=yMeZ4BJKBte7sagPHGHeEQ

(this is an extraordinary video, btw, and gives a sense of the scale of the homeless/drug disaster in some of America’s cities)
    That's not the scale of it - the downtown problem used to be confined to a few blocks where it literally started and stop. Now it has spread all over downtown to even the "nicer" areas by the Disney Centre. It has gotten out of control.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    edited January 2023
    Looking at the video in the header, we wouldn’t go over the top predicting big things for the speaker, but it’s a perfectly adequate turn on the podium. Fluency okay, engaged the audience very well, and more genuine heart felt passion for a policy than we have seen from our current and most previous prime minister.

So. Despite getting more and more assistance to her speeches and public engagement, such as auto cue to help with speed and naturalness, how did Truss actually get worse at it, leaving this the best speech we have ever seen from her?
  • Options

Fuck the royals.

We have control, we are a parliamentary democracy with a constitutional monarch.

We are also not Afghanistan, adultery is a ground for divorce not stoning
  • Options

Fuck the royals.

People who genuinely think that, usually think other classes of person should be stoned too.

It wasn't the adultery which makes Charles' behaviour so profoundly vile.

We need rid because these problems are always going to happen, because monarchs cannot be relied on not to be gay or impotent or sterile or profoundly selfish. Had Charles not been a lying coward, the options open to him were:

1. Do a deal in advance with a brood mare (seems to be what William has done, given the alleged incompatibility of the pair on the pegging issue).

2. Do a Ed VIII, and then we are straight on to King Andrew.

Enough.

And when we are the United Republic, perhaps the EU won't realise who we are, and will let us back in.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    HYUFD said:

Fuck the royals.

We have control, we are a parliamentary democracy with a constitutional monarch.
    So we can vote Charles out then? Since we have control...
This discussion has been closed.