Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

After 3 days the House of Representatives is still without a Speaker – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999
    Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

This is, literally, the most joyous thing I have seen in weeks

https://twitter.com/alisonkriel/status/1526813347810779139?s=46&t=HognWYkuC1G7V-yYASQcRA

Yeah hate to be a spoilsport but there's a touch of wow look how clever the natives are at playing sophisticated western music.
    Marvellous example of a comment that says everything about the commenter and nothing about what he is trying to comment on.
    Marvellous example of a comment that says everything about the commenter and nothing about what he is trying to comment on.

Twat.
    No, really. If something evokes something poisonous in your own head, just keep quiet about it.

Above, all, don't attribute the poison to other people and start abusing them.
    We'd all be living on thin gruel if this maxim were universally observed on here. More poison. More abuse. Lest we all die of ennui.

That twitter clip reminded me of the type of stupid shit the Queen had to sit through while grinning inanely. Before Truss killed her.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242

Fine, I’ll serve as Speaker of the House of Representatives.

I would pay good money to see that.

Especially when you order an inspection of all their pizza deliveries...
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

https://twitter.com/alisonkriel/status/1526813347810779139?s=46&t=HognWYkuC1G7V-yYASQcRA

That is brilliant.

If you haven't watched it, you are genuinely missing a treat. Not only brilliantly played but all those happy smiling faces.
    I defy anyone to watch it without being at least a tiny bit uplifted
    Much underrated instrument, the xylophone. I defy anyone to watch a xylophone played well and not feel a tiny bit uplifted.

Pop songs which include xylophones:
    Mama Mia by Abba
    Gone Daddy Gone by the Violent Femmes.

I can't think of any others. Missed opportunity, rock n roll.
    Hendrix, Little Wing
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,611

Even if it means wearing sober shoes ?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    edited January 2023
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Yeah hate to be a spoilsport but there's a touch of wow look how clever the natives are at playing sophisticated western music.

A bit like having large glossy photos of African tribesmen up on your walls at home.

Soz.
    Lol. There’s always one
    Yep very sadly always on duty. But you know I'm right.
    Okish comment from you actually. A bit tart but also a bit correct - and rather brave since it makes you look like a heartless sourpuss.
    It’s not a “bit correct”. It’s full-on, balls-out, batshit.

As bad as Mystic Marquee’s prognostications.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Dura_Ace said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Twat.
    No, really. If something evokes something poisonous in your own head, just keep quiet about it.

We'd all be living on thin gruel if this maxim were universally observed on here. More poison. More abuse. Lest we all die of ennui.

That twitter clip reminded me of the type of stupid shit the Queen had to sit through while grinning inanely. Before Truss killed her.
    We don't know that she was grinning inanely as Johnson tried to formulate a coherent sentence along the lines of 'I resign, send for Truss' without the words actually joking Choking him.

Although TBF who would blame her?

Edit - that was an autocorrect fail, although I doubt anyone will believe me!
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442
    Dura_Ace said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Twat.

Happy days those :smiley:

(Not the day she died of despair over Truss, obviously)
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,215
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

A bit like having large glossy photos of African tribesmen up on your walls at home.

Soz.
    Lol. There’s always one
    Your comment was the purest example of projection that I have ever seen on PB. I’ll leave it there
    No it wasn't. What if it was the Royal Academy of Music Xylophone Troop playing the same piece.

What exactly do you find so joyous about it?
    Because the music is beautiful
    Because the girls clearly love playing it
    Because they play it so well
    Because the crowd response is so exuberantly positive
    And yes, because of the identity of the kids. But it is not their race. It is because they seem to be from a not rich, not sophisticated school in Africa, where perhaps such brilliant accomplishment is less expected

I know it’s not their race, because this video would make me smile if it was in a rural school in Mongolia, Peru, Mexico. It would make me smile in a poor school in Greenland, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Pakistan

If it was a broadcast from Eton or a wealthy suburb of Paris it would still be fun, but less uplifting

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Soz.
    Lol. There’s always one
    Okish comment from you actually. A bit tart but also a bit correct - and rather brave since it makes you look like a heartless sourpuss.

Just for quorum purposes - why do you think the clip might have been "the most joyous thing" someone has seen in weeks.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I have plenty of sober shoes to going with my morning suits.

I would wear morning suits as Speaker.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I think right now the correct dress for American politics is a mourning suit.

To reflect the death of democracy.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,631
    Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Scott_xP said:

Modest recovery for the Tories in the latest YouGov poll, both in headline numbers and in Sunak v Starmer. But:

- Lab still more than 20 points ahead;
    - Starmer still leads on Best PM;
    - Tories have Big deficits on approval on all main issues (see other polls). https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1611314689052483584

Tories only need to increase an average of a point a month and Labour slip a point a month this year for Rishi to be back in the game for the election next year.

Quite doable against Starmer.
    For Rishi to be back in the game the Tories need a lead of 4-5%. Worse than that then Starmer would likely become PM
    Tories gaining 1% a month this year and Labour losing 1% a month would see the Tories going into 2024 leading 37% - 34%.

Like I said, back in the game...
    Has our friend HYUFD been coaching you?
    1% a month each way is a modest and quite possible reaction to the crazy ups and downs of May-Johnson-Truss era of politics.

Squeaky bum time for Labour once both main parties are in the 30s.
    I can understand Mike Smithson’s sudden alarm. Can this site handle two HY’s talking gibberish? 😆

The truth is, having failed on tax, failed on growth, failed on borrowing, failed on immigration, failed on asylum invasion and processing claims, failed to deliver the promise of Brexit and levelling up, utterly failed on NHS and failed on education, why shouldn’t there be a sizeable rebellion leakage to Reform next time from what had been so used to voting Farage up to 2019?

The reality current polling shows Tories going backwards away from thirties, and Labour advancing again to 50s, and the liturgy of Tory failure suggest hard work for Tories to get vote out next time or prevent lots of leakage to Reform, not just leakage to the other parties.

And whether Starmer government with bonus of incumbency can quickly be ousted depends on the Tory offering. Trussism under Badenoch, Sunakism (whatever that is if it’s not high tax) under one of current cabinet, Johnsonism under Boris etc etc. How can you expect to win elections when you havn’t a clear position on anything anymore?
    I would love to see two HYUFDs having an argument with one another.
    Do you suffer from insomnia ?
    No, but the convoluted logic, the links to dubious facts from the internet, the misinterpretation of stuff and the tangents! Oh in particular the tangents that will go off into who knows where and forever so that the original point will be lost a 1000 times over. It will be like witnessing chaos theory evolve in front of your eyes and eventually entirely fill up the internet.
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Soz.
    Lol. There’s always one
    Your comment was the purest example of projection that I have ever seen on PB. I’ll leave it there
    No it wasn't. What if it was the Royal Academy of Music Xylophone Troop playing the same piece.

And yes, because of the identity of the kids. But it is not their race. It is because they seem to be from a not rich, not sophisticated school in Africa, where perhaps such brilliant accomplishment is less expected

I know it’s not their race, because this video would make me smile if it was in a rural school in Mongolia, Peru, Mexico. It would make me smile in a poor school in Greenland, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Pakistan

If it was a broadcast from Eton or a wealthy suburb of Paris it would still be fun, but less uplifting

For someone who wanted to leave it there that is a long-winded way of saying you agree with me.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    edited January 2023
    ydoethur said:

Wait until I start the pizza conspiracies.

People in the House who put pineapple on pizzas are part of a satanic child abuse cult.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Soz.
    Lol. There’s always one

Just for quorum purposes - why do you think the clip might have been "the most joyous thing" someone has seen in weeks.
    Leon has been mostly doomcasting and chatting with AI, afaics, so I can believe it's the most joyous thing he's seen in weeks. Quite possibly the only thing he's watched that isn't predicting millions of deaths...

For me, probably the most jouyous thing I've seen today, but then I've been mostly working on a systematic review :disappointed: The weather forecast was the most jouyous thing before that.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,631

Nigelb said:

Does your definition of sober correlate with our definition of sober?
  • Options
    In future, anyone on PB caught smiling at nice things must report to the DEPARTMENT OF INCORRECT JOY for re-educational purposes
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    Leon said:

Love it.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Nigelb said:

Yes.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

People in the House who put pineapple on pizzas are part of a satanic child abuse cult.
    What about the ones in the Senate?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Even more sickening.

They also think Die Hard is a Christmas film.

• Options
    Leon said:

In future, anyone on PB caught smiling at nice things must report to the DEPARTMENT OF INCORRECT JOY for re-educational purposes

You need to be a bit more inquisitive, both about things you see and your reactions. I forced you to conduct a self-examination and, you being a smart guy, it didn't take you long to realise that I was right.

That I was right aside, such examinations are certainly joyous so we are all happy.

Always happy to be of service to you and the broader PB community.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    1.93% down here - that will be pretty much the gay guys who run the pub!
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Soz.
    Lol. There’s always one

For someone who wanted to leave it there that is a long-winded way of saying you agree with me.
    Haven't you just dropped 150 notes to watch a couple of Agnetha and Benny robots miming to overrated sexless 70s pop?

Just to calibrate your musical joyousness scale.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Soz.
    Lol. There’s always one

It's the insidious prejudice of lowered expectations.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Soz.
    Lol. There’s always one

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

You need to be a bit more inquisitive, both about things you see and your reactions. I forced you to conduct a self-examination and, you being a smart guy, it didn't take you long to realise that I was right.

That I was right aside, such examinations are certainly joyous so we are all happy.

I can sense your exquisite embarrassment from all the way over here by The Regent’s Park
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,200

https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1611346312800399361

EXC: A major reduction in the energy bills support package for businesses is due next week

Current package is £18bn for six months

New package to be c. £5bn for a year, so £2.5bn per six months

That’s a big drop. Plus prices will no longer be capped.

30 point Labour lead. Incoming.

Wholesale prices for gas have tumbled and although its not simple to see how this affects the prices, its looking like the worst is over. Government cannot provide support forever.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    edited January 2023
    Leon said:

I love that somebody reported it as off topic.

Wonder who?
  • Options
    edited January 2023

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Soz.
    Lol. There’s always one

Haven't you just dropped 150 notes to watch a couple of Agnetha and Benny robots miming to overrated sexless 70s pop?

Just to calibrate your musical joyousness scale.
    I examined and checked my prejudices when they played Waterloo while showing pictures of Agnetha and the other female one prancing around in very short skirts.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Even more sickening.

So you need to be bruceless about it?
  • Options
    kjh said:

Nigelb said:

Probably does correlate to be fair. Just a big offset between the two.
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Soz.
    Lol. There’s always one

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

I can sense your exquisite embarrassment from all the way over here by The Regent’s Park
    100% not embarrassed and your usual ploy of counter claiming about someone which in this instance is clumsy and, as usual, ineffective.

But I do of course take it as a compliment.

Next stop take down all those photos from above the mantelpiece, I'm guessing.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Even more sickening.

https://people.com/movies/die-hard-director-john-mctiernan-says-film-is-a-christmas-movie/

I always write my season greetings on terrorists with small feet.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,196

Leon said:

Wonder who?
    Oh dear. They must be a newbie. Leon is never on topic.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,114
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

That is brilliant.

If you haven't watched it, you are genuinely missing a treat. Not only brilliantly played but all those happy smiling faces.
    Much underrated instrument, the xylophone. I defy anyone to watch a xylophone played well and not feel a tiny bit uplifted.

Mama Mia by Abba

Under My Thumb by the Stones. Technically a Marimba.
  • Options

Leon said:

Wonder who?
    I def didn't report Leon's comment as off topic. I have never reported any post on here as off topic first, because I know that sends a klaxon to the mods; secondly because I had no idea that anything was off-topic on PB; and thirdly because it is a pretty lame way of responding to someone.

I'm guessing it was a fat-fingered like. How fat are your fingers, come to think of it?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Soz.
    Lol. There’s always one

No, he has a point. It's a nice clip but the "most joyous thing ever" tag is open to exploration and challenge.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Soz.
    Lol. There’s always one

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

100% not embarrassed and your usual ploy of counter claiming about someone which in this instance is clumsy and, as usual, ineffective.

But I do of course take it as a compliment.

Next stop take down all those photos from above the mantelpiece, I'm guessing.
    My only advice is: stop
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Dura_Ace said:

Driver said:

Jonathan said:

Let's be honest, as per 2017, the Tories would love Labour to release their manifesto now. They can nick all of the policies.

The Tories are trying to do whatever they can to put the focus on Labour and away from themselves and their record.
    Labour should welcome the focus if they have any ambitions beyond simply winning the election.
    They would be fucking stupid to have any other ambition at this point.
    If they haven't yet worked out how they want to improve the country, it's too late.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Soz.
    Lol. There’s always one

Leon has been mostly doomcasting and chatting with AI, afaics, so I can believe it's the most joyous thing he's seen in weeks. Quite possibly the only thing he's watched that isn't predicting millions of deaths...

For me, probably the most jouyous thing I've seen today, but then I've been mostly working on a systematic review :disappointed: The weather forecast was the most joyous thing before that.
    It was OK, but mainly for the plain enjoyment of the kids playing it. Otherwise didn't quite work for me, in the way that (eg) Paint it Black on the accordion and bandura did.

Unlike Topping, though, I don't think you need to share Leon's épater les réveillés mindset to like it.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Driver said:

Jonathan said:

Let's be honest, as per 2017, the Tories would love Labour to release their manifesto now. They can nick all of the policies.

The Tories are trying to do whatever they can to put the focus on Labour and away from themselves and their record.
    Labour should welcome the focus if they have any ambitions beyond simply winning the election.
    Nah, calls from your losing opponent to prematurely show your hand can be treated as mischievous games. There are better things to do.
    I'm not an opponent. I want a reason to vote for them.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974

Can we offer them John Bercow?

Wish he could replace that diddy Hoyle
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Even more sickening.

https://people.com/movies/die-hard-director-john-mctiernan-says-film-is-a-christmas-movie/

Ho. Ho. Ho.
  • Options
    Driver said:

Dura_Ace said:

Driver said:

Jonathan said:

If they haven't yet worked out how they want to improve the country, it's too late.
    Too late for what? To win the next election?
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Nigelb said:

Selebian said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Soz.
    Lol. There’s always one

For me, probably the most jouyous thing I've seen today, but then I've been mostly working on a systematic review :disappointed: The weather forecast was the most joyous thing before that.
    It was OK, but mainly for the plain enjoyment of the kids playing it. Otherwise didn't quite work for me, in the way that (eg) Paint it Black on the accordion and bandura did.

Unlike Topping, though, I don't think you need to share Leon's épater les réveillés mindset to like it.
    That (Paint it Black) cover is genius.

Second most joyful thing I've seen today, due to the performers not being black :wink:

(Bits of the earlier video were sublime; other parts didn't quite work, whether due to limitations of instrument or not quite getting it right - but still, primary school kids doing it a hell of a lot better than I could - I couldn't really tell)

ETA: Just remembered this too - Seven Nation Army on, among other things, floppy drives https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH9yt8qTACw
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Even more sickening.

Ho. Ho. Ho.
    Yes. It was a pain to find material for a while. Then the under butler suggested that one of the tradesmen knew an a chap. Estranged son of a rather odd immigrant family. Anyway, apparently he is rather into terrorist hunting and has piles of them - no idea what to do with them. Bit like the grouse, I suppose.
  • Options
    Leon said:

To be Topped
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Even more sickening.

Ho. Ho. Ho.
    Yes. It was a pain to find material for a while. Then the under butler suggested that one of the tradesmen knew an a chap. Estranged son of a rather odd immigrant family. Anyway, apparently he is rather into terrorist hunting and has piles of them - no idea what to do with them. Bit like the grouse, I suppose.
    All sounds thoroughly unpheasant.
  • Options

Northallerton seems to be the ungayest place in the country at 1.3%
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Soz.
    Lol. There’s always one

No, he has a point. It's a nice clip but the "most joyous thing ever" tag is open to exploration and challenge.
    Oh don’t talk drivel.
    The issue is the attempt to find some weird political point in some kids playing the marimba.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Even more sickening.

Ho. Ho. Ho.
    All (a) game to you?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Even more sickening.

Ho. Ho. Ho.
    You should have ducked that one
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,953
    Social mobility tsar quits: ‘I’m doing more harm than good’

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/social-mobility-tsar-birbalsingh-quits-im-doing-more-harm-than-good/
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

That is brilliant.

Are we sure they're really playing it? The different children don't really seem to be in time either with each other, or with the music.
    At some points definitely yes. At other points I wondered myself for the same reason but given there are several rows of them it's difficult to be sure.

But ultimately even if it has been sweetened in places (and done rather better than with autotune) you've got a bunch of children playing music really well and thoroughly enjoying themselves.

I mean, what's not to like?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Even more sickening.

Ho. Ho. Ho.
    All (a) game to you?
    Yes deer.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/social-mobility-tsar-birbalsingh-quits-im-doing-more-harm-than-good/

If only the DfE could match her self awareness...
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

TBF, what would a tsar know about social mobility?
  • Options

Northallerton seems to be the ungayest place in the country at 1.3%
    I prefer to look at the % of the population working in the creative industry as you increase your chances of a decent coffee.

Yay for Hackney. Southwark, Camden and Haringey. But also for Brighton, Lewes, Falmouth, Totnes and Painswick.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Driver said:

Dura_Ace said:

Driver said:

Jonathan said:

Too late for what? To win the next election?
    To improve the country.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Even more sickening.

Ho. Ho. Ho.
    His elder brother is rather more into wood cock.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Soz.
    Lol. There’s always one

Oh don’t talk drivel.
    The issue is the attempt to find some weird political point in some kids playing the marimba.
    Indeed. Why did Topping do so?
  • Options

Cookie said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

That is brilliant.

Mama Mia by Abba

I hesitate to mention it, but ... Radiohead's No Surprises features (I think) the glockenspiel.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,505
    Off topic, but important for anyone who wants to understand US politics: "The U.S. economy added 223,000 jobs in December, even as some industries are experiencing a slowdown, reflecting the unusual forces at work in the post-pandemic labor market that is both resilient and cooling.

The unemployment rate inched down to 3.5 percent, according to the latest data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, hovering near longtime lows."
    source$: https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2023/01/06/december-jobs-report/ (You can find all this data at the BLS, for those who really want to dig into the numbers.)

Large employers are laying off workers, but this is more than balanced by small employers hiring.

(Some of you will find these two details of interest: "Health care gained 55,000 jobs, with a boost in ambulatory health care services, hospitals and nursing homes. Construction grew by 28,000 jobs, even as higher interest rates have hurt the real estate sector.")
  • Options

Cookie said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

That is brilliant.

Mama Mia by Abba

I always thought that Under My Thumb sans vocals would make a fantastic edgy soundtrack to a 60s Bullitt-ish type thriller..

Started watching Slow Horses which I don’t think is quite the cat’s pyjamas it thinks it is, but I really like the Mick Jagger theme song, best thing he’s done for decades.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Scott_xP said:

TBF, what would a tsar know about social mobility?
    Nicholas II went from the very top to the very bottom in about a week. And was then a penniless* criminal on the run when executed a year later.

That's not bad in terms of going through all levels of society.

*well, apart from all the jewels his wife had hidden in her clothes, obviously.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Even more sickening.

Ho. Ho. Ho.
    All (a) game to you?
    Yes deer.
    No fawning on him, please.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    So PB's reaction to a lovely heartwarming video of kids playing Vivaldi with total happiness is 1. liking this video is "patronising or racist" and 2. the kids probably aren't playing it anyway, it's fake, and 3. even if it is real, it's only OK and the accordion thing is better

And we wonder why lurkers accuse us of being a bunch of cantankerous old gits

For the record, I've done some research now. The kids are real, they are really playing it, they are actually well known (if not to me) and there is a uplifting story behind it, too

“The marimba hubs is a concept that we have started in South Africa to take children off the streets,” explains Lithgow. “What we do is we train teachers from scratch who have never ever played the instrument before, and we get them to teach their pupils.

What’s wonderful about marimbas is it keeps children off the street,” says James Urdang from Educate Africa. “You’ve got children coming out… and instead of going home and getting up to mischief in the streets, they want to get in the marimba team.

https://edition.cnn.com/2016/09/21/africa/marimba-goede-hoop-school-south-africa/index.html
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Soz.
    Lol. There’s always one

Oh don’t talk drivel.
    It's not at all weird. If you thought about it for a moment. I forced Leon to do this and he accepted my point, albeit kicking and screaming as he did so, as is his way; perhaps you would like to also.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Even more sickening.

Ho. Ho. Ho.
    All (a) game to you?
    Yes deer.
    Doe!
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

Scott_xP said:

Modest recovery for the Tories in the latest YouGov poll, both in headline numbers and in Sunak v Starmer. But:

- Tories have Big deficits on approval on all main issues (see other polls). https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1611314689052483584

Tories only need to increase an average of a point a month and Labour slip a point a month this year for Rishi to be back in the game for the election next year.

For Rishi to be back in the game the Tories need a lead of 4-5%. Worse than that then Starmer would likely become PM
    Tories gaining 1% a month this year and Labour losing 1% a month would see the Tories going into 2024 leading 37% - 34%.

1% a month each way is a modest and quite possible reaction to the crazy ups and downs of May-Johnson-Truss era of politics.

I can understand Mike Smithson’s sudden alarm. Can this site handle two HY’s talking gibberish? 😆

The truth is, having failed on tax, failed on growth, failed on borrowing, failed on immigration, failed on asylum invasion and processing claims, failed to deliver the promise of Brexit and levelling up, utterly failed on NHS and failed on education, why shouldn’t there be a sizeable rebellion leakage to Reform next time from what had been so used to voting Farage up to 2019?

The reality current polling shows Tories going backwards away from thirties, and Labour advancing again to 50s, and the liturgy of Tory failure suggest hard work for Tories to get vote out next time or prevent lots of leakage to Reform, not just leakage to the other parties.

And whether Starmer government with bonus of incumbency can quickly be ousted depends on the Tory offering. Trussism under Badenoch, Sunakism (whatever that is if it’s not high tax) under one of current cabinet, Johnsonism under Boris etc etc. How can you expect to win elections when you havn’t a clear position on anything anymore?
    A win with wokery?

Anyway my car is ready now. I'm off.
    Bye then 🙋‍♀️

19k posts waiting for a car to be fixed
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,993
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

That is brilliant.

Are we sure they're really playing it? The different children don't really seem to be in time either with each other, or with the music.
    At some points definitely yes. At other points I wondered myself for the same reason but given there are several rows of them it's difficult to be sure.

But ultimately even if it has been sweetened in places (and done rather better than with autotune) you've got a bunch of children playing music really well and thoroughly enjoying themselves.

I mean, what's not to like?
    I deleted my comment (after about 30 seconds), because a quick Google discovered these guys are talented musicians.

It's an enjoyable video.

Not the best thing I'll see today. But enjoyable nonetheless.
  • Options
    Leon said:

So PB's reaction to a lovely heartwarming video of kids playing Vivaldi with total happiness is 1. liking this video is "patronising or racist" and 2. the kids probably aren't playing it anyway, it's fake, and 3. even if it is real, it's only OK and the accordion thing is better

For the record, I've done some research now. The kids are real, they are really playing it, they are actually well known (if not to me) and there is a uplifting story behind it, too

“The marimba hubs is a concept that we have started in South Africa to take children off the streets,” explains Lithgow. “What we do is we train teachers from scratch who have never ever played the instrument before, and we get them to teach their pupils.

What’s wonderful about marimbas is it keeps children off the street,” says James Urdang from Educate Africa. “You’ve got children coming out… and instead of going home and getting up to mischief in the streets, they want to get in the marimba team.

https://edition.cnn.com/2016/09/21/africa/marimba-goede-hoop-school-south-africa/index.html

Tbf you’ve made a hefty contribution to radicalising PB into thinking things are fake, one way or another.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

A win with wokery?

Anyway my car is ready now. I'm off.
    Bye then 🙋‍♀️

19k posts waiting for a car to be fixed
    I'm not that surprised TBF. It's taken me over two months to get my dad's car repaired.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,616

3.5% LGB in my MSOA, but wander over into Shipley and it shoots up to 5.3%.

Parts of Bradford are just over 1% LGB, but very high levels of "Not Answered". Sounds like a lot of people in the closet.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Even more sickening.

Ho. Ho. Ho.
    All (a) game to you?
    Yes deer.
    Doe!
    I'm sure you have more puns of that elk.

Likely a staggering amount.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Soz.
    Lol. There’s always one

Oh don’t talk drivel.
    It's not at all weird. If you thought about it for a moment. I forced Leon to do this and he accepted my point, albeit kicking and screaming as he did so, as is his way; perhaps you would like to also.
    I don’t accept your point at all.
    Are you suggesting it is somehow racist to enjoy kids playing music? Or that they shouldn’t be allowed to play Vivaldi?

The more I think about it, the more disturbing your comments seem.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,114
    Scott_xP said:

If only the government possessed the same level of self-awareness.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

That is brilliant.

Mama Mia by Abba

I always thought that Under My Thumb sans vocals would make a fantastic edgy soundtrack to a 60s Bullitt-ish type thriller..

Started watching Slow Horses which I don’t think is quite the cat’s pyjamas it thinks it is, but I really like the Mick Jagger theme song, best thing he’s done for decades.
    I think Slow Horses is pretty good.
    Let down a little as per by the British tendency to ham everything up.

Yes, that theme tune is excellent and it’s a great way to practice your Mick Jagger impression as my wife will attest.

• Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,616

3.5% LGB in my MSOA, but wander over into Shipley and it shoots up to 5.3%.

Parts of Bradford are just over 1% LGB, but very high levels of "Not Answered". Sounds like a lot of people in the closet.
    10.2% around me.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Further research, yes Steely Dan used the marimba!

At 2:34 in the song, Aja (and elsewhere)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG2seugAgnU

Apparently they also used the "flapamba" in the famously quirky intro to Rikki Don't Lose That Number

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/whats-that-sound-steely-dan-rikki-dont-lose-that-number/
  • Options

Cookie said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

That is brilliant.

Mama Mia by Abba

Yes, that theme tune is excellent and it’s a great way to practice your Mick Jagger impression as my wife will attest.

It’s good, just not Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy great.
    Gary Oldman should dial down the farting boor stuff which I guess comes under your ham everything up thing.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Even more sickening.

Ho. Ho. Ho.
    All (a) game to you?
    Yes deer.
    Doe!
    Re
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,505
    On topic: "But in a sign of progress, some Republicans are approaching a deal that could help Republican leader Kevin McCarthy (Calif.) get closer to clinching the necessary 218 votes to take the gavel.

Holdouts appeared to be swayed by the latest offer McCarthy had made to them roughly 24 hours earlier."
    source$: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/01/05/house-speaker-vote-deal-mccarthy/

I am mildly skeptical, because there are so many holdouts. On the other hand, most of the holdouts may recognize this isn't helping them with the voters.

(And it shouldn't be forgotten that some of the holdouts have legitimate grievances: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/the-right-wing-nuts-upending-the-house-are-right-about-one-thing/ar-AA162aam?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=a31e05ba852441bb9fef74c020a502d6

Too much power has been concentrated in the Speaker's office. That can work when the Speaker is a Democrat, since so many Democrats come out of the same machine politics that Pelosi did. Her father, as I assume many of you know, was a Baltmore boss.

But it will always cause disatisfaction among Republicans.)
  • Options

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Soz.
    Lol. There’s always one

Oh don’t talk drivel.
    I don’t accept your point at all.
    Are you suggesting it is somehow racist to enjoy kids playing music? Or that they shouldn’t be allowed to play Vivaldi?

The more I think about it, the more disturbing your comments seem.
    Probably thinks that they should only be allowed to play Dubul' ibhunu
  • Options
    Obviously a slow news day on PB.

Rishi is still shit, though.
  • Options
    “Surrounded by boozers, misfits and losers” should be adopted as the PB theme song.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Soz.
    Lol. There’s always one

For me, probably the most jouyous thing I've seen today, but then I've been mostly working on a systematic review :disappointed: The weather forecast was the most jouyous thing before that.
    On reflection, the World Cup Final was even more joyous than this, and the 9 dart shoot out leg at the Darts was even more joyous than THAT, so this video is now relegated to "THIRD most joyous thing I've seen in weeks"

The darts leg might be the greatest thing ever in any genre of human behaviour, or indeed anything else
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Even more sickening.

That's because it IS a Christmas film!

Here's Die Hard writer Stephen E De Souza:

https://www.indiewire.com/2017/12/die-hard-christmas-movie-screenwriter-steven-e-de-souza-1201911181/

"‘Die Hard’ Screenwriter Confirms the Film is a Christmas Movie, So Everyone Can Stop Debating Now"

https://www.nme.com/news/film/die-hard-writer-explains-christmas-film-white-christmas-2844452

"‘Die Hard’ writer says the film is more of a Christmas film than ‘White Christmas’
    "He's made a checklist, you can check it twice"
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,994
    For what it is worth (zero), I turned off the Vivaldi xylophones video, finding it boring.

I didn’t recognise the music, and don’t like xylophones.
  • Options

On topic: "But in a sign of progress, some Republicans are approaching a deal that could help Republican leader Kevin McCarthy (Calif.) get closer to clinching the necessary 218 votes to take the gavel.

Holdouts appeared to be swayed by the latest offer McCarthy had made to them roughly 24 hours earlier."
    source$: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/01/05/house-speaker-vote-deal-mccarthy/

I am mildly skeptical, because there are so many holdouts. On the other hand, most of the holdouts may recognize this isn't helping them with the voters.

(And it shouldn't be forgotten that some of the holdouts have legitimate grievances: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/the-right-wing-nuts-upending-the-house-are-right-about-one-thing/ar-AA162aam?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=a31e05ba852441bb9fef74c020a502d6

Too much power has been concentrated in the Speaker's office. That can work when the Speaker is a Democrat, since so many Democrats come out of the same machine politics that Pelosi did. Her father, as I assume many of you know, was a Baltmore boss.

But it will always cause disatisfaction among Republicans.)

The last Republican speaker of any note turned out to be a real, actual and convicted paedophile.

I learned today.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Soz.
    Lol. There’s always one

Oh don’t talk drivel.
    The point (I think) @TOPPING makes - in his usual overly combative way (he's ex army) - is that some of the professed 'bursting with joy' at the clip will probably be driven by condescension and virtue-signalling.

Is this right, Captain? I don't want to speak for you. As if.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    TOPPING said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Twat.

Twat x2.

Same question to you - what exactly is so joyous about the clip?
    Isn’t young people playing music together joyous, as a general principle?

The last time I heard Four Seasons on an unusual instrument wasn’t quite so joyous. In the late 80s I shared an office with a rather dour and sad Scottish guy, whose wife had run off with another man and taken him for all his savings in late middle age, and he had been reduced to renting a bedsit in North London. Pretty much his only hobby was playing guitar, and since he couldn’t play at home without disturbing the other bedsitters, he kept his guitar at work and used to practice for an hour at lunchtimes.

(which incidentally got me trained into the habit of taking a full lunch break every day, out of politeness since he wouldn’t practice with company. This served me well through the years as lunch gradually mutated from a good long booze-up with your workmates in the ‘80s to a Pret hummus sandwich eaten at the desk in-between replying to emails by 2000).

Anyhow this guy had a big concert coming up - clearly the highlight of his year - where he was going to perform in a four-guitar ensemble doing the Four Seasons, and he was clearly eager to get in as much practice as possible. Whenever I came back to the office after lunch, none of the bits I heard him rehearsing, before he hurriedly put away his guitar, sounded at all like the Four Seasons I knew, so one day I waited a while outside and all I could hear were a long series of repeated notes, occasionally varying up and down but pretty monotonous with no recognisable fragments from the Four Seasons.

When I mentioned this to him, he confessed that he was doing the base line, with the tunes to be played by the others. Which seemed sadder than ever.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Soz.
    Lol. There’s always one

Oh don’t talk drivel.
    The point (I think) @TOPPING makes - in his usual overly combative way (he's ex army) - is that some of the professed 'bursting with joy' at the clip will probably be driven by condescension and virtue-signalling.

Is this right, Captain? I don't want to speak for you. As if.
    Stop Topsplaining.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Selebian said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Twat.

Twat x2.

Same question to you - what exactly is so joyous about the clip?
    The people in it seem to be having a lot of fun?

England players' reaction on winning the Euros is a similarly joyous clip (or indeed Messi's on winning the world cup) and, I guess, less open to your interpretation.*

*unless they have a touch of 'wow look how clever the women are at playing manly games' etc

ETA: Be careful, btw. Don't too many twats make a Twitter? We don't want that!
    The more pertinent question: Leon and his various incarnations prior have spent years trying to alarm us all, usually to almost zero effect, about the imminence of various imagined catastrophes that will supposedly wipe out our species from the planet, or similar.

Yet he’s trying to uplift us now? Should he check his meds?
  • Options
    felix said:

Driver said:

Dura_Ace said:

Cookie said:

Dura_Ace said:

Cookie said:

kamski said:

nico679 said:

algarkirk said:

IanB2 said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Scott_xP said:

Split sample: half asked..
    Rejoin EU 42%
    Stay out 33%
    Half asked about rejoining with the following conditions..
    Rejoin EU if it means [below] 38%
    Stay out 35% https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1611279112441667586/photo/1

Permission to be surprised how small that shift is, Sir?

OK, it's one data point, and People Polling has never been tested in battle. But if rejoin is ahead (albeit within MoE and with a lot of don't knows) on "rejoin even after all the downsides are listed", that feels significant.
    Except they don't list all the downsides. A commitment to join the Euro should be added to that list because even though it is something we might try to delay indefinitely, it would still be a legal commitment.
    I can see this issue is going to be a major battlefield once the rejoin campaign starts. As I've said previously, as someone who doesn't want us to join the euro in the foreseeable future, the legal commitment to join at some point - with the option to defer indefinitely - doesn't keep me awake at night.
    You're very optimistic if you think we'll be offered that. The EU will not take any risks on us leaving for a second time, and the best way for them to ensure that is for us to join the euro on day one of membership.
    That is impossible under the rules governing euro membership. These rules are designed to ensure that the euro isn't compromised by economies joining before they are ready. I actually think the EU will be quite wary of us joining the Euro given how we crashed out of the ERM. Protecting the Euro is much more important to the EU than stopping us leaving, they're not going to endanger the former in pursuit of the latter.
    An interesting interpretation of the EU's historical actions. In particular "it's the rules" has never stopped them doing what they want to do.
    Exactly - if they want us and we don't want the €, they will find a way for us to stick with our own currency for yonks, like the Swedes have done. The question is whether they would want us, not what are the rules.
    A minor derogation from FoM would have allowed 'Remain' to win in 2016. The EU would not do it. Yes, rules don't matter when the EU wants to do something, but when they don't they are a bunch of fundamentalists.

One problem is not seeing things from the other guys point of view.

In the case of the EU, the leading counties - France, Germany etc - saw FOM as a difficult thing. For them. The issues about wages for the low/no skilled apply there, as well as to the U.K.. Hence the riots in France on a regular basis.

What politicians, in those countries, saw was that if they compromised on FOM, everyone would want an “adjustment”.

The pro EU politicians involved saw FOM as something that they had jointly sacrificed for - a lynch pin of their wider vision for the EU.

So it was an unshakeable redline.
    FOM is one of the greatest things about the EU and the right to live and work in 27 other countries is why I voted to Remain.

Thankfully I managed to protect that because of my family but am really sad that many younger people can no longer enjoy that.

Shame on all those so called loving grandparents who robbed their grandchildren of that freedom !
    Indeed surveys in EU countries including France and Germany show people are overwhelmingly in favour of EU freedom of movement, and for most people it's the most valuable thing about being in the EU.
    But - genuine question - why? How many genuinely move? And how do they do it? Is language just not an issue for our continental counterparts?
    I commend you to the French film L'Auberge Espagnole for an insight into the dynamics of this.

Lots do move around - particularly the younger generation. Hyper-particularly anybody who did Erasmus.
    Are there any stats on who moves where? There could be some interesting analysis in this.
    My guess is that the highest movements are between countries which share a language (UK/Ireland, France/Belgium, Germany/Austria) and from other countries to the UK (since the European youth appears to speak English with ease). But there may well be much more at play here.
    In general Western Europeans do not share the stark British terror of learning a foreign language so I don't think that is too much of a factor. The younger ones follow employment, educational and cultural opportunities so they end up in cities like Bruxelles, Barcelona and Amsterdam. The older ones follow the sun south.
    British people aren't afraid to learn a foreign language. They just generally don't need to, and if they try to speak a foreign language in that language's country they usually find people speaking english back at them.
    Quite. Eventually you stop trying, because everyone you want to practise on, wants to practise on you.
    I live in a part of Spain with significant numbers of non Spanish including many English. The problem you identify is there but there are great benefits to persevering. The locals really appreciate it, accessing all public services is much easier and you acquire a new skill. For me it's is a great boon especially as I'm not a 'natural' linguist.
    and you get a full breakfast every day?
  • Options

For what it is worth (zero), I turned off the Vivaldi xylophones video, finding it boring.

I didn’t recognise the music, and don’t like xylophones.

You are cancelled. For something or the other.
  • Options
    Leon said:

It's an old clip, I think. Went round the internet a few months ago with much "how joyous is this!" commentary.

Think so anyway. My memory could be playing up. I'm 62.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,674

Cookie said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

That is brilliant.

Mama Mia by Abba

It’s good, just not Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy great.
    Gary Oldman should dial down the farting boor stuff which I guess comes under your ham everything up thing.
    Oldman is playing Lamb more subtly than he’s written!
  • Options
    My word.

The age-fraud crisis to engulf Cameroon’s Under-17 team has intensified after more players failed medical tests ordered by Samuel Eto’o, the president of the country’s football association.

Another 11 players are said to have been caught by Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) screening that initially saw 21 of the country’s original 30-strong squad for this month’s regional African Cup of Nations qualifiers sent home.

Those MRIs took place late last month at the insistence of former Chelsea and Barcelona striker Eto’o as part of a pledge to stamp out age fraud within Cameroon’s youth teams.

Governing body Fecafoot announced the results in a statement in which it said steps had been immediately taken to replace those caught by the testing.

But 11 new players failed tests carried out on Tuesday, giving manager Jean Pierre Fiala barely a week to bring in further reinforcements.

Cameroon host Congo, Chad, DR Congo and Central African Republic for the Central African Football Federations’ Union (UNIFFAC) qualifiers between January 12 and 24, with two teams progressing to April’s Under-17 Nations Cup in Algeria.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/01/05/cameroon-age-fraud-fears-grow-checks-send-32-youth-players-home/
This discussion has been closed.