Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

2022- the year when British politics reached “Peak Madness” – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited January 2023 in General
2022- the year when British politics reached “Peak Madness” – politicalbetting.com

What was my favourite political story of the year? pic.twitter.com/kZ8jhBWvTT

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,909
    First?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123
    The first shall be last and the last shall be first.
  • Options
    "Ambushed by a birthday cake" is going to be pretty hard to beat but when you look at the nutters in all parties at Westminster I wouldn't be overly confident.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108
    Embroiled in this competition to see who can be the most boring.

He says it like it's a bad thing.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    DavidL said:

"Ambushed by a birthday cake" is going to be pretty hard to beat but when you look at the nutters in all parties at Westminster I wouldn't be overly confident.

But were they as nutty as the birthday cake?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Nuts in a birthday cake?? That's worse than pineapple on pizza or cappuccino after 11 (according to @Cyclefree ).
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Nuts in a birthday cake?? That's worse than pineapple on pizza or cappuccino after 11 (according to @Cyclefree ).
    Isn't marzipan considered usual?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,848
    🚨 Significant intervention by Theresa May on Rishi Sunak's plan to water down the Modern Slavery Act she introduced.

🔥 The former PM has warned that criminal gangs could exploit new rules aimed at cracking down on illegal immigration.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/theresa-may-criticises-rishi-sunak-water-down-modern-slavery-laws_uk_63a9931de4b0d6f0b9eea349
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

She's a lovely lady.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,215
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Is the 2024 GOP Primary season going to be as dramatic as 1976 when Reagan pushed Ford very hard ? The parallels are far from exact but I suspect it's going to be as entertaining.

Except Ford was the incumbent President.

While sleepy Joe is the recumbent president.

Somnolent?
    Biden has gotten more done - that's positive anyway - in two years than Trump in four.

Or the Cameron-May-Johnson-Truss-Sunak "government" in double that time? Under FIVE Fearless "Leaders"!
    To be fair, that's a pretty low bar. That's a bit like saying somebody is less useless than the average civil servant at the DfE.
    Never said that "performance" of Trump OR the Five Stooges (Davy, Terry, Bojo, Liz & Rishi) was of high standard. Obviously the opposite!

But dissing Joe Biden is a chumps game, methinks.

Remember what Abe Lincoln said to folks, who criticized General Grant for his drinking problem?
    The possibly apocryphal one about sending all his generals whatever Grant was drinking, or the one after Shiloh where he curtly refused to court martial Grant by saying 'I can't spare this man. He fights?'
    Many of the reports of his drinking were political attacks, and often contradicted by those actually present (as was the case at Shiloh).
    It seems likely that he had a serious problem with alcohol, which was most of the time (and almost invariably when in active command) kept under determined control.

And he was a much better President than he is often assessed.
    The best guess is that he had a problem with depression, but like Churchill, and self medicated with alcohol.
  • Options
    Good evening, my fellow reindeer.

To be honest, the Lords Appellant in ~1388 may have been a testier time. But it was quite short shrift given the Truss.
  • Options
    This has been an extremely difficult and lonely Christmas, not helped by various family issues.

I will need to remove myself from this forum as I can see myself getting sad. Good luck.
  • Options
    Peak Madness?

Nonsense. That was just the initial twitches. The onset.
  • Options

This has been an extremely difficult and lonely Christmas, not helped by various family issues.

I will need to remove myself from this forum as I can see myself getting sad. Good luck.

My advice is to blame Canada. If you can sing that song and remain sad - well, it’s a skill I dont have.

Good luck.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    edited December 2022
    DavidL said:

And even despite that birthday cake ambush, the Conservatives were only 7% behind Labour under Boris in early July.

They are now 20% behind Labour

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1606624770266734592?s=20&t=IJkvs03KHHr8UUKEOwTl6Q
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

🚨 Significant intervention by Theresa May on Rishi Sunak's plan to water down the Modern Slavery Act she introduced.

🔥 The former PM has warned that criminal gangs could exploit new rules aimed at cracking down on illegal immigration.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/theresa-may-criticises-rishi-sunak-water-down-modern-slavery-laws_uk_63a9931de4b0d6f0b9eea349

The Modern Slavery Act was a solid piece of legislation. Typical of the current crop of nutters who have nicked the “Conservative” brand to trash one of the few decent things they’ve done in the last 12 years.
  • Options
    Way off topic & FPT re: merits & demerits of George Washington

One story about GW that I will always remember:

The weather was famously atrocious when Washington & etc. crossed the Delaware River on Christmas Day 1776 which is 246 years ago.

Less well known, is that conditions were as bad - in some ways worse - on "dry" land, which was actually piled with snow and sheathed in ice. The later being a particular impediment to horse, foot and guns scrambling to make their strategic objectives before the Hessians awoke from their holiday revels.

At one point, a half-frozen soldier saw General Washington gallop up, to a point where the road into town was a sheet of ice. The general's horse started slipping, and the soldier could see the animal was starting to panic.

Until Washington - a large man on a large horse - steadied the animal, holding tight by his arms, his legs, his whole body and entire will power, as it appeared to the bystander.

Whole thing happened in the twinkling of an eye, though it seemed like eternity at the time. Then Washington rode on, urging his men to follow him. To the Battle of Trenton and into history.

George Washington was one American who the British could beat like a gong. But could NOT defeat.

As sidebar, worth noting that Washington's victory that Boxing Day (as you Mothers of the Mother Country quaintly say) was a Continental effort. At one key point during the Battle, a future POTUS, James Monroe, then young sprig of Virginia gentry, found himself in a fierce firefight, shoulder to shoulder with hard-bitten New England fisherman from Marblehead, Mass, who were the boys who got Washington, Monroe and the rest Across the Delaware in the first place.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Happy Christmas from a notably sunny and beautiful Cornwall. Hope everyone had a good one

The sun was actually warm on my face. Nice

Do NOT take any wooden pasties!
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,116
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

And even despite that birthday cake ambush, the Conservatives were only 7% behind Labour under Boris in early July.

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1606624770266734592?s=20&t=IJkvs03KHHr8UUKEOwTl6Q
    Question is, the way Johnson’s regime was falling apart, do you think he’d have stayed at 7% behind? I definitely don’t. It would have been getting bigger. Ultimately the Tories have overstayed their welcome once again, and enough people have seen through their bullshit. I sympathise with honest, decent caring Tory MPs. The corrupt, lying, swindling ones have destroyed your party - again.

Sadly for the nation the opposition don’t look to have many answers either.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Brexit = Putin’s greatest victory.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336
    How do you post photos (taken in portrait mode) without them going sideways ?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    edited December 2022

Scott_xP said:
    That's an odd argument for you to make given that by the same logic, the Scottish independence referendum was a defeat for Putin.
  • Options

All the best, Horse.
  • Options
    Every time I use ChatGPT, I’m reminded of Steve Jobs describing it in this Playboy interview, Feb 1985

https://twitter.com/soleio/status/1607106379357249536

🔮 https://twitter.com/soleio/status/1607106379357249536/photo/1
  • Options

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Is the 2024 GOP Primary season going to be as dramatic as 1976 when Reagan pushed Ford very hard ? The parallels are far from exact but I suspect it's going to be as entertaining.

Somnolent?
    Biden has gotten more done - that's positive anyway - in two years than Trump in four.

Or the Cameron-May-Johnson-Truss-Sunak "government" in double that time? Under FIVE Fearless "Leaders"!
    To be fair, that's a pretty low bar. That's a bit like saying somebody is less useless than the average civil servant at the DfE.
    Never said that "performance" of Trump OR the Five Stooges (Davy, Terry, Bojo, Liz & Rishi) was of high standard. Obviously the opposite!

Remember what Abe Lincoln said to folks, who criticized General Grant for his drinking problem?
    The possibly apocryphal one about sending all his generals whatever Grant was drinking, or the one after Shiloh where he curtly refused to court martial Grant by saying 'I can't spare this man. He fights?'
    Many of the reports of his drinking were political attacks, and often contradicted by those actually present (as was the case at Shiloh).
    It seems likely that he had a serious problem with alcohol, which was most of the time (and almost invariably when in active command) kept under determined control.

The best guess is that he had a problem with depression, but like Churchill, and self medicated with alcohol.
    Unlike Churchill, though, he was not a regular drinker, going for extended periods without any alcohol.
    It seems that he was unable to drink without problems.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Edit the photo and trim a tiny bit off. When you save it, it saves the alignment too
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Don't take them portrait

Take a screenshot and post that

Save them as landscape
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    Nigelb said:

Post a screen grab of the photo.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,382
    edited December 2022
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

She's a lovely lady.
    Isn't he talking about a .. er .. some variety of male showgirl jumping out? (Choose your own nouns and pronouns, and I suppose adjectives.)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,621
    Scott_xP said:

What's the purported reason for changes in the first place?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Edit the photo and trim a tiny bit off. When you save it, it saves the alignment too
    Thanks.
    Happy Christmas from Leith.
    Can anyone explain the synergy (look closely at the signs) ?

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Thanks.

Well, the Queen obviously thought they went well together...
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Somnolent?

Unlike Churchill, though, he was not a regular drinker, going for extended periods without any alcohol.
    Re: US Grant, yours truly is proud owner of a decorative porcelain bourbon whiskey decanter (made in Japan) which depicts the General seated in a chair drinking a cup of coffee. No doubt sobering up after falling off the wagon.

Also have a squeeze toy that depicts Margaret Thatcher in her Prime, herself cosplaying Winston Churchill, sporting a polka-dot bow tie AND smoking a stogie.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Thanks.

You know violin makers use catgut? Well, bagpipe makers...

• Options
    Ukraine has initiated the process to expel Russia from the UN Security Council and from the UN overall. Here's why it's important. 🧵 https://twitter.com/StratcomCentre/status/1607440963898863616/photo/1
  • Options
    checklist said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Thanks.

You know violin makers use catgut? Well, bagpipe makers...

You’ve been too long in this condition….
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

The reason for the changes is that illegal immigrants, when caught, have been trained to say that they are modern slaves, ensuring a lengthy investigation which prevents them being deported. May is right that tightening the rules may just lead to traffickers manufacturing 'proof' but that's no reason not to tighten the rules.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Ukraine has initiated the process to expel Russia from the UN Security Council and from the UN overall. Here's why it's important. 🧵 https://twitter.com/StratcomCentre/status/1607440963898863616/photo/1

An interesting play, but it won't happen. Ukraine could have objected in 1991 and chose not to. They won't be listened to on this now, least of all by China. (And the UK government wouldn't want questions swirling about UN Security Council Seats either although the situation there is a bit different.)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

An interesting play, but it won't happen. Ukraine could have objected in 1991 and chose not to. They won't be listened to on this now, least of all by China. (And the UK government wouldn't want questions swirling about UN Security Council Seats either although the situation there is a bit different.)
    Perhaps it's time for a new global organisation to be created to supersede the UN.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Somnolent?

Re: US Grant, yours truly is proud owner of a decorative porcelain bourbon whiskey decanter (made in Japan) which depicts the General seated in a chair drinking a cup of coffee. No doubt sobering up after falling off the wagon.

Also have a squeeze toy that depicts Margaret Thatcher in her Prime, herself cosplaying Winston Churchill, sporting a polka-dot bow tie AND smoking a stogie.
    With nothing but respect and affection for the lady, I can think of few things I would like to squeeze less.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Perhaps it's time for a new global organisation to be created to supersede the UN.
    I think the whole point of the UN is that it is not meant to be subject to the overwhelming wishes of a particular world faction, however right they feel they are.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Do you see the removal of Boris Johnson in the same terms as the ousting of Margaret Thatcher in 1990? After all, he won his confidence vote 211-148 so won the right to remain party leader and Prime Minister.

We know, however, politics doesn't work like that and within a fortnight of that vote, aided by the Chris Pincher scandal, he was gone.

What else could or should have happened? Was it not the case his position had, by early July, become untenable?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

I think the whole point of the UN is that it is not meant to be subject to the overwhelming wishes of a particular world faction, however right they feel they are.
    And that's why the victors in WW2 gave themselves a veto?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    That's an odd argument for you to make given that by the same logic, the Scottish independence referendum was a defeat for Putin.
    It was. It is rare for me to agree with The Anglophobe Racist AKA @StuartDickson, but on that he is right. Brexit was a triumph for Putin. I am sure he would have considered the breakup of the UK as even sweeter though.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

The problem is the veto system means it *is* subject to the wishes of different factions.

That probably made sense where there were only forty or so independent countries in the world, dominated by a few very large powers, but makes little sense in a world of two hundred of them where only one and a half have the ability to project power a long way.

It would be better if there were a way of overriding a permanent member's veto, but it's not easy to see how it could be done, and even if there were a simple solution, it would need to get past the aforesaid veto...
  • Options
    maxhmaxh Posts: 824

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

The reason for the changes is that illegal immigrants, when caught, have been trained to say that they are modern slaves, ensuring a lengthy investigation which prevents them being deported. May is right that tightening the rules may just lead to traffickers manufacturing 'proof' but that's no reason not to tighten the rules.
    It is if it doesn’t help with trafficking but means more genuine victims of slavery fall foul of the system.

• Options
    Harsh but fair.

Harry Kane taunted with 'you let your country down' chants from Brentford fans

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/12/26/harry-kane-taunted-let-country-chants-brentford-fans/
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,880

Scott_xP said:
    It was. It is rare for me to agree with The Anglophobe Racist AKA @StuartDickson, but on that he is right. Brexit was a triumph for Putin. I am sure he would have considered the breakup of the UK as even sweeter though.
    I think he would, but it is perhaps one-dimensional thinking. What does Putin want? He wants his enemies and/or rivals weakened. He chose not to raise Russia up to our level and become a superpower again (*), and instead wants to drag us down to their level.

So yes, Brexit was a 'win' for him. But as long as we are arguing amongst ourselves, often over trivialities, he also wins. I would not be in the least bit surprised if he had 'donated' to both sides in any particular argument, trying to foment dissent. That is a lot more immediate, and easier, than a large geopolitical change such as Brexit.

(*) Instead allowing his chums to steal everything not nailed down.
  • Options
    edited December 2022

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Thanks. I'm always wary on these type of reports because its important to know a) what (supposed) ill is intended to be addressed, b) how that ill is going to be addressed, c) if a) is right, will b) actually work.

The key will be if maxh is right, and it won't achieve the aim it seeks, but will just make the initial bill worse at its intended aims.
  • Options
    Did we do this guy today?
    (Someone did.)

In India, after falling from the second floor of a hotel, the United Russia MP Pavel Antov, who was previously on the Forbes list, died, reported the Indian edition NDTV and the Russian website Mediazona
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Hromadske/status/1607443111621304320
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Hardly, it's about formalising and entrenching those factions, in the hope at least that they will work through the UN to resolve issues. Which they don't on the big stuff, but the UN tries to be realistic about it.

Despite Russia's reversion to a kind of conquest not seen (amongst the 'senior' members) for some time, it's hard to see the interest in the other permanent members to such a move as this. But it keeps diplomatic pressure up, which is presumably the main aim. Conflicts are easily forgotten about after all.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Did we do this guy today?
    (Someone did.)

In India, after falling from the second floor of a hotel, the United Russia MP Pavel Antov, who was previously on the Forbes list, died, reported the Indian edition NDTV and the Russian website Mediazona
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Hromadske/status/1607443111621304320

Search me…

I’ll get my coat. It’s the one with custom window unbolting tool in the right pocket
  • Options
    maxh said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

It is if it doesn’t help with trafficking but means more genuine victims of slavery fall foul of the system.

Some years ago, my ex (an immigration lawyer) suggested that an immigration lawyer instructing his/her clients in making fraudulent statements should be stuck off, as lawyers.

It was interesting to see the reaction this got.
  • Options

maxh said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Some years ago, my ex (an immigration lawyer) suggested that an immigration lawyer instructing his/her clients in making fraudulent statements should be stuck off, as lawyers.

Seems pretty uncontroversial. Whatever winking at the law might be going on, anyone caught actually instructing the making of fraudulent statements can have no complaints.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    kle4 said:

maxh said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Seems pretty uncontroversial. Whatever winking at the law might be going on, anyone caught actually instructing the making of fraudulent statements can have no complaints.
    The context was when she took on a client from a work acquaintance who was claiming to be gay from a country where this was not well received.

The man was the most violent homophone I’ve met in real life. I genuinely think he would physically attack anyone he thought was actually gay. He was petrified of being “made to prove” he was gay, and was an utter head case.

Edit: the other immigration lawyers took the view this was just playing the game. I commented that it was interesting how the adversarial process had corrupted them.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Somnolent?

West Point to remove Robert E. Lee portrait, bust
    https://thehill.com/policy/defense/3787737-west-point-to-remove-robert-e-lee-portrait-bust/
    ...The Lee portrait will be removed from the military academy’s library and placed in storage at West Point’s museum. Separately, a portrait of Gen. Ulysses S. Grant, who led union troops against Lee in the civil war, will be moved from the library to Grant Hall.
    A stone bust of Lee at Reconciliation Plaza will also be removed and placed in storage, while an accompanying bust of Grant will be moved to the front of Grant Hall...

Grant is, in any event, a far better role model for military officers, given his deep understanding of the importance of logistics, and prioritisation of strategy over tactics.
  • Options
    edited December 2022

kle4 said:

maxh said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

The context was when she took on a client from a work acquaintance who was claiming to be gay from a country where this was not well received.

The man was the most violent homophone I’ve met in real life. I genuinely think he would physically attack anyone he thought was actually gay. He was petrified of being “made to prove” he was gay, and was an utter head case.
    I'm intrigued at the idea of being forced to prove he was gay.

I mean, was he expecting to go for a live performance in court? On the understanding either he was buggered or his case would be?
  • Options

kle4 said:

maxh said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Edit: the other immigration lawyers took the view this was just playing the game. I commented that it was interesting how the adversarial process had corrupted them.
    Great autocorrect.
  • Options

kle4 said:

maxh said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Great autocorrect.
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

maxh said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

I mean, was he expecting to go for a live performance in court? On the understanding either he was buggered or his case would be?
    It’s a thing in Family Guy, so must be real, right?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

maxh said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

I'm intrigued by the violent homophone.

Ruff ?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Somnolent?

West Point to remove Robert E. Lee portrait, bust
    https://thehill.com/policy/defense/3787737-west-point-to-remove-robert-e-lee-portrait-bust/
    ...The Lee portrait will be removed from the military academy’s library and placed in storage at West Point’s museum. Separately, a portrait of Gen. Ulysses S. Grant, who led union troops against Lee in the civil war, will be moved from the library to Grant Hall.
    A stone bust of Lee at Reconciliation Plaza will also be removed and placed in storage, while an accompanying bust of Grant will be moved to the front of Grant Hall...

Grant is, in any event, a far better role model for military officers, given his deep understanding of the importance of logistics, and prioritisation of strategy over tactics.
    I’ll be happy when they put a statue of a Sherman in the centre of Savannah.

With a decoration of neckties around the plinth….

So we made a thorough fare for freedom and her train
    60 miles in latitude, 300 to the main
    Treason fled before us, for resistance was in vain
    While we were marchin' through Georgia
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

maxh said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Ruff ?
    Well, he was expecting to be collared.
  • Options
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Do you see the removal of Boris Johnson in the same terms as the ousting of Margaret Thatcher in 1990? After all, he won his confidence vote 211-148 so won the right to remain party leader and Prime Minister.

We know, however, politics doesn't work like that and within a fortnight of that vote, aided by the Chris Pincher scandal, he was gone.

What else could or should have happened? Was it not the case his position had, by early July, become untenable?
    The removal of Thatcher did however lead to a bounce for the Tories once Major took over, with the Conservatives winning the 1992 general election.

By contrast the removal of Boris has if anything led to a negative poll bounce
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

maxh said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Not sure really. Like most ravening bigots, he wasn’t exactly going overboard on the mental
    process stuff.

What struck me was the impression that he was perfectly suited to join the kind of scumbags who left shit on Lenny Henry’s doorstep. Only the suntan would have held him back. In everything else, he was perfectly suited to be a member of the BNP.
  • Options

Harsh but fair.

Harry Kane taunted with 'you let your country down' chants from Brentford fans

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/12/26/harry-kane-taunted-let-country-chants-brentford-fans/

I hope Jude Bellingham doesn't play in the EPL. At the moment, England fans of all 20 Premiership teams like him. If he comes to play for e.g. Liverpool, the fans of 19 Premiership teams will hate him.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

maxh said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Ruff ?
    Dammidge
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Just have everyone join the Commonwealth.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Offering Commonwealth membership to the Ukrainians would be excellent on a number of levels. Not every day that a completely anodyne diplomatic move would cause heads to explode in Moscow and Paris….
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319

All the very best and do come bsck soon.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

The Commonwealth members are supposed to respect certain values, hence Fiji and Pakistan and Nigeria were suspended at one point for example and Zimbabwe left. Same with the G7 which removed Russia from the G8.

The UN is not but is supposed to represent all nations and the UN Security Council too is supposed to hold all major powers.

Of the permanent members, the US, China, France, the UK and Russia still make up about 50% of global gdp. All of them have nuclear weapons and the US and China have the 2 largest and most powerful militaries in the world.

For the sake of offering a body for world peace and diplomacy it should stay largely as is (plus for global economic decision making alongside the G20)
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,744
    Sam Altman is the guy at OpenAI who brought us ChatGPT and is bringing us GPT4 in 2023

Brace?

• Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Yep, time that the world’s third & fourth largest economies had a shot.
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 948
    Scott_xP said:

She's wrong and he's right. It's a stupid bit of virtue signaling legislation which exists to give corporate HR something else to justify their existence. I'd be surprised if it's helped a single actual modern slave. Good news for the lawyers of various dodgy Albanians mind you.

Malmesbury has the correct solution to all this. Employ illegals - they can dob you in for £25k cash and the right to remain, employer gets £100k fine, directors personally liable. Dodgy employment gone by the Monday afternoon the week the legislation comes into force.
  • Options

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Offering Commonwealth membership to the Ukrainians would be excellent on a number of levels. Not every day that a completely anodyne diplomatic move would cause heads to explode in Moscow and Paris….
    That would doubtless be blamed on RN special operatives using well trained dolphins whose secondary goal was to steal Russian gas.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,040

Look after yourself Horse. Not best placed to offer advice to anyone, but rooting for you through 2023.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

That would doubtless be blamed on RN special operatives using well trained dolphins whose secondary goal was to steal Russian gas.
    Trained sealions, actually. Controlled by Alien Space Bats.
  • Options
    theProle said:

Scott_xP said:

She's wrong and he's right. It's a stupid bit of virtue signaling legislation which exists to give corporate HR something else to justify their existence. I'd be surprised if it's helped a single actual modern slave. Good news for the lawyers of various dodgy Albanians mind you.

Malmesbury has the correct solution to all this. Employ illegals - they can dob you in for £25k cash and the right to remain, employer gets £100k fine, directors personally liable. Dodgy employment gone by the Monday afternoon the week the legislation comes into force.
    Give ‘em double if they dob in an immigration lawyer for lying?

I love this idea - what could be warmer and more generous than giving immigrants large piles of cash?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,954
    edited December 2022

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

May cause a few pairs of PB underpants to explode with joy and all.

I sense some of the kudos of the Commonwealth may have passed with HMQ and the accession of old sausage fingers.
  • Options
    edited December 2022

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

May cause a few pairs of PB underpants to explode with joy and all.

I sense some of the kudos of the Commonwealth may have passed with HMQ and the accession of old sausage fingers.
    In that vein, 'tis the season.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,880
    Allegedly Dmitry Medvedev has produced a list of predictions for 2023. Halfway down the list there's "War between France and the Fourth Reich."

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1607455031816495105

I fear he's going to be disappointed.
  • Options

Allegedly Dmitry Medvedev has produced a list of predictions for 2023. Halfway down the list there's "War between France and the Fourth Reich."

Hope it doesn’t involve these guys…
    https://tardis.fandom.com/wiki/Hans_de_Flores
  • Options
    edited December 2022

He also says the UK will rejoin the EU, leading it to collapse with the euro.

France will go to war with Germany and Poland and Northern Ireland will join the Republic of Ireland.

He then says there will be another US civil war with California seceding and Texas joining Mexico while Elon Musk will be President of the rump GOP states.

Finally the WTO and IMF will collapse and we will return to the Gold Standard
  • Options

That's actually rather alarming given his senior position within the Fourth Reich.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

The Commonwealth members are supposed to respect certain values, hence Fiji and Pakistan and Nigeria were suspended at one point for example and Zimbabwe left.
    Zimbabwe applied to rejoin in 2018:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/5/22/zimbabwe-applies-to-rejoin-commonwealth

BTW, Brunei isn't exactly a beacon of democracy!
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560
    HYUFD said:

France will go to war with Germany and Poland and Northern Ireland will join the Republic of Ireland.

He then says there will be another US civil war with California seceding and Texas joining Mexico while Elon Musk will be President of the rump GOP states.

That's going to make 2022 seem like a quiet year.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,478
    Josias Jessop said: "I would not be in the least bit surprised if he [Putin] had 'donated' to both sides in any particular argument, trying to foment dissent."

In 2016, Russian operatives were able to inspire two opposing demonstrations in Texas, using Facebook.
    source: https://www.texastribune.org/2017/11/01/russian-facebook-page-organized-protest-texas-different-russian-page-l/
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,478
    On topic: I have often thought there was much wisdom in the Holiday Inn slogan: "The best surprise is no surprise".

So here's hoping next year in the UK, and the world, will have less madness.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 6,975

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

It’s not just about money

India and Brazil would be more relevant (albeit less palatable) than Germany and Japan

• Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

India and Brazil would be more relevant (albeit less palatable) than Germany and Japan

India is now the 6th largest economy.

However the problem is Pakistan would oppose India's permanent UN Security Council membership and if you had Brazil Mexico would want a place too.

Neither Germany or Japan have especially powerful militaries now either nor nuclear weapons. They are already in the G7 and G20 anyway which better reflect their economic strength
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

However the problem is Pakistan would oppose India's permanent UN Security Council membership and if you had Brazil Mexico would want a place too.

Neither Germany or Japan have especially powerful militaries now either nor nuclear weapons. They are already in the G7 and G20 anyway which better reflect their economic strength
    Japan's military spending will soon be the third highest in the world.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/12/23/japan-unveils-record-defence-budget-amid-regional-security-fears
  • Options

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Japan's military spending will soon be the third highest in the world.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/12/23/japan-unveils-record-defence-budget-amid-regional-security-fears
    Still no nuclear weapons though, unlike every other P5 UN Security Council member
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

I was referring more to the victors in WWII thing which would of course include Brazil, & India by default
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    HYUFD said:

Anything about himself and Putin hanging by piano wire from a Moscow lamp-post?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,744

To @CorrectHorseBattery3 I know you find it hard to believe but Id be prepared to stake a good amount of hard cash that there are a lot of people on here who care a lot for you and your
    welfare, regardless of where we stand
    politically. So keep on fighting and you will always have an ear here.

Horse might be better off avoiding a forum like this which so often seems to upset him on a visceral level. On the other hand I find his brutal assessments of the Tory party genuinely persuasive and interesting. He says it like it is

I hope he can find calmness somewhere
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    HYUFD said:

Poland joining the Republic of Ireland will be a controversial one.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560

HYUFD said:

New Holy Roman Empire?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

New Holy Roman Empire?
    Anglo-Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.
This discussion has been closed.