Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Why I think that LAB will struggle to get a majority – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,336
    JohnO said:

Interrresssstttiiinnggg and not yet covered here (I think).

Comres

Lab 42 (-5)
    Con 31 (+5)
    LD 10
    Reform 5

Asks GPTchat about outliers.

Outliers are when Sean Thomas decides he wants a quick shag, but there is no house nearby so he does it outdoors with whatever woman is handy.

Not to be confused with out standers, which are the same but where he does it standing up.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,111
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

’Exclusive poll: Tories face WIPEOUT at General Election as Reform UK support surges’

A new poll by People’s Polling for GB News, found Labour is on 47% of the national vote, the Conservative Party down to 20%, the Liberal Democrats on 8%, the Greens on 6% and Reform on 9%.

This represents a one-point fall for Conservatives and a one-point jump for Labour from last week, increasing the gap between the two parties to 27 points.

It comes amid reports “Red Wall” MPs are being courted by Reform as it seeks a wave of Ukip-style defections among dissatisfied Tories.

More than 7,000 grassroots Conservatives have joined Reform since, i has been told, Liz Truss resigned as prime minister and the party is increasingly confident of MP defections.

It is understood Mr Tice the party’s founder and Nigel Farage its honorary president, have met several “Red Wall” MPs in recent weeks in an effort to tempt them over to the party.

https://www.gbnews.uk/politics/exclusive-poll-tories-face-wipeout-at-general-election-as-reform-uk-support-surges/403497

The last time a poll showed a higher lead than 27 points was late October

What are they even hoping Reform would do that the Tories wouldn't if they could? Reform have no identity other that 'whatever momentarily takes support from Tories/Labour'
    It’s actually quite depressing that there are apparently enough twats prepared to tell pollsters that they will vote for Reform - a party that has done nothing, has nobody and stands for very little - as support the LibDems who, whatever your politics, have a long-standing place in British politics and take their policy making seriously.

The only consolation is that there won’t actually be a Reform (sic) candidate in most constituencies come the election.
    If mainstream parties don't address the concerns of the public, people will ultimately turn to alternatives that at least seem to "get it". Establishment types think they can keep certain topics out of the political debate by not talking about them, and then because the issue isn't talked about, they aren't top of mind when people respond to polls. But eventually the topic comes surging back. That is what happened with our EU membership, and it's what's happening again on immigration.

Labour and the Lib Dems want to bring back free movement with the EU. The Tories want cheap labour from the rest of the world. Meanwhile the man on the street doesn't see why we need to keep on letting in all these low skill workers, all these arranged spouses and all these angry, young men in rubber dinghies.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,474
    HYUFD said:
    It's not the Baxtering that makes it interesting, it's the remarkable shift. Simply a rogue poll? What could have caused the Labour lead to shrink by TEN? People annoyed by Persistent Staring?
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Comres

Lab 42 (-5)
    Con 31 (+5)
    LD 10
    Reform 5

Conducted 25-27th Nov so not the hottest of poop.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989

JohnO said:

Comres

Lab 42 (-5)
    Con 31 (+5)
    LD 10
    Reform 5

Extrapolating based on the date of their last poll, this poll, and now... surely the Tories are in the lead?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    JohnO said:

Comres

Lab 42 (-5)
    Con 31 (+5)
    LD 10
    Reform 5

It is, and along with the Con gain today in Dumfriess the 'herd' are quietly ignoring anything which doesn't fit their prevailing narrative. It all may mean nothing but time will tell....
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,308

JohnO said:

Comres

Lab 42 (-5)
    Con 31 (+5)
    LD 10
    Reform 5

It's the last one out of the traps so good enough for HY.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:
    It's not the Baxtering that makes it interesting, it's the remarkable shift. Simply a rogue poll? What could have caused the Labour lead to shrink by TEN? People annoyed by Persistent Staring?
    The previous poll could have been an outlier on the Labour side.

Or this poll could be an outlier on the Tory side.

Or, looking at the numbers the most likely option: a bit of both.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,320

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/dec/09/revealed-the-full-inside-story-of-the-michelle-mone-ppe-scandal

This is the biggest political scandal that I can remember. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Is there a next minister to leave the Cabinet market up currently?

Really? The biggest? You either have a poor memory, or this is a recency bias (we attribute more recent events as better or worse than more distant ones).
    More than £200mn of taxpayers money given to a shady offshore network of companies whose beneficiary seems to be a politician from the governing party and her family, by ministers from the same party, for defective equipment, with £100mn of profits, in the middle of a pandemic, via a channel set up to prioritise people close to the governing party... It puts Neil Hamilton's brown envelopes full of banknotes to shame that's for sure. £200mn is a hell of a lot of money, and based on what the Graun is reporting it looks like pretty outrageous corruption. What scandal do you remember that's bigger than this one?
    World cup to Qatar and the French get rather a lot of defence orders.

Incidently, whether or not the Grauniad have this story correct, what is the status of the money? If money was paid for goods not delivered, or deemed not to be fit for the role, surely the government is going after the suppliers for the money back?
    I'm talking about UK political scandals. I agree if we go global there are bigger ones.
    I believe the government is trying to recover its money, and perhaps coincidentally Lady Mone is selling her properties and yacht.
    The real scandal is the VIP lane system that the government put in place, which seems (as one would have imagined) to have hindered rather than helped the cost effective delivery of equipment. Setting up that system was at best stupid and naive, at worst a deliberate invitation to corruption. We need an independent inquiry, urgently.
    I agree we should look at what happened. I only ask, as always, judge by what was happening at the time. France, our dear friends and allies impounded and seized PPE that was on its way to the UK. Labour was screaming about lack of PPE.

The government did its best and got some things badly wrong. I suspect, from the Graun story, the Mone is a wrong 'un and hopefully will be persued to the full extent of the law if laws have been broken.

But we were in extraordinary times.
    True. But if there was major corruption I don't think "but there was a pandemic on" is a good enough defence to get them off. Esp if the people who benefitted were connected to decision makers.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,474
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Newent is a small town in England that is both terrible and boring. The locals are unwelcoming and unfriendly, making it impossible to have a good time in this dump of a town.

The streets are dirty and littered with trash, giving the town a rundown and neglected appearance.

The people of Newent are equally as disappointing. They are rude and unaccommodating, making it clear that they do not want outsiders in their town.

The town is filled with political junkies who are constantly checking the latest polls and arguing about the merits of the Conservative Party.

In short, Newent is a toilet

If you think Newent is bad, you should go visit Camden Town. Litter and squalor everywhere, and lots of rude and unpleasant residents. A real dump of a place.

The streets of Camden Town are a horror show, filled with all manner of filth and depravity. Among the most disgusting of the town's inhabitants is a weird old loner known only as IanB. This twisted individual is rumored to have a strange penchant for frotting dogs, a disgusting and perverted act that is sure to make even the most hardened of individuals feel sick to their stomach.

But IanB's depraved behavior is not limited to just his love of frotting dogs. There are also disturbing reports of him being a rancid pensioner who eats poo. This is an absolutely revolting habit, and it's clear that IanB is a truly sick individual who needs to be locked away for the safety of everyone in Camden Town.

If you find yourself wandering the streets of this godforsaken place, there is a very good chance that you will encounter IanB standing in a urinous puddle, shouting at his only friend, a retired dog. This is a truly pitiful sight, and it's just one more example of the horrors that lurk in the shadows of Camden Town.

Overall, Camden Town is a disgusting and vile place, and IanB is just one of the many reasons why it is best to avoid this place at all costs. Whether he is frotting dogs, eating poo, or standing in a urinous puddle, IanB is a vile and disgusting creature who is best left alone.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,296
    kinabalu said:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/dec/09/revealed-the-full-inside-story-of-the-michelle-mone-ppe-scandal

This is the biggest political scandal that I can remember. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Is there a next minister to leave the Cabinet market up currently?

Really? The biggest? You either have a poor memory, or this is a recency bias (we attribute more recent events as better or worse than more distant ones).
    More than £200mn of taxpayers money given to a shady offshore network of companies whose beneficiary seems to be a politician from the governing party and her family, by ministers from the same party, for defective equipment, with £100mn of profits, in the middle of a pandemic, via a channel set up to prioritise people close to the governing party... It puts Neil Hamilton's brown envelopes full of banknotes to shame that's for sure. £200mn is a hell of a lot of money, and based on what the Graun is reporting it looks like pretty outrageous corruption. What scandal do you remember that's bigger than this one?

Incidently, whether or not the Grauniad have this story correct, what is the status of the money? If money was paid for goods not delivered, or deemed not to be fit for the role, surely the government is going after the suppliers for the money back?
    I'm talking about UK political scandals. I agree if we go global there are bigger ones.
    I believe the government is trying to recover its money, and perhaps coincidentally Lady Mone is selling her properties and yacht.
    The real scandal is the VIP lane system that the government put in place, which seems (as one would have imagined) to have hindered rather than helped the cost effective delivery of equipment. Setting up that system was at best stupid and naive, at worst a deliberate invitation to corruption. We need an independent inquiry, urgently.
    I agree we should look at what happened. I only ask, as always, judge by what was happening at the time. France, our dear friends and allies impounded and seized PPE that was on its way to the UK. Labour was screaming about lack of PPE.

The government did its best and got some things badly wrong. I suspect, from the Graun story, the Mone is a wrong 'un and hopefully will be persued to the full extent of the law if laws have been broken.

True. But if there was major corruption I don't think "but there was a pandemic on" is a good enough defence to get them off. Esp if the people who benefitted were connected to decision makers.
    Its not a defence but it does explain a lack of scrutiny at the time. If she has done as it appears, then Lady no more and lets have some jail time. But thats for a court of law to decide, not some randoms on an obscure political betting AI/woke/UAP blog.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Wait until somebody investigates the finances of Oak National Academy...
  • Options

What are odds, that Moan joins Jeffrey Archer joins as a member of the House of Lord's Felons Club?
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,602
    Heathener said:

I'm not going to keep repeating why I'm sure @MikeSmithson is wrong about this. He's not going to change his mind, I don't think,

But, yes, I'm sure he's wrong. This isn't some flash in the pan lead. It's a sea-change in British politics, such as happens once in a generation at best.

I will just point out though that the rot set in long before Truss and Kwarteng. It's revisionist to suggest otherwise. Labour will hardly need to remind us about the awful pandemic experiences in which Boris' sleazy tories told us one thing and practised another. The visceral erosion of tory support began long ago. Boris was found to be totally unsuitable for the top job and the chaos began back then. And I need hardly add that the Brexit which Boris delivered us has found to be a disaster. Even my Leave friends are now saying it.

I suggest that we should all be thinking of the opposite: just how HUGE might Labour's lead be? How low will the tory numbers fall? The reason many of them are starting to leave the ship is because they know it's sinking.

I suggest the ballpark figure is 100-150 tory MPs but it could go lower if circumstances continue to conspire against them, which seems pretty likely.

“This isn't some flash in the pan lead. It's a sea-change in British politics”

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    New thread.
  • Options
    This thread has

attempted to pose as an AI chatbot, not very convincingly.

• Options

Carnyx said:

‘The emotions of Britishness and being English, a response to David Mitchell’

Some say that England requires no representative, accountable, democractic institutions because the institutions of the British state are, in fact, de facto English. Mitchell alludes to this Anglo-centric mindset when he informs us that “when Palmerston said "English" he meant British”. My challenge to Mitchell and other Brits who wish to save the Union is to imagine a new multi-national Britain that draws strength from its hybridity instead of riding rough-shod over the national identities of Britain by buying into these Anglo-centric, Anglo-British notions of Britishness.

… if devolution has failed to ‘kill nationalism stone dead’, as George Robertson prophesised, it is partly because it has heightened the perception that Britain is the English State by proxy, and devolution merely an exercise in post-imperial imperialism.

Today when the public hears British politicians refer to ‘our country’ or ‘our NHS’ it is reasonable to assume that they are talking about England or the NHS in England

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opendemocracyuk/emotions-of-britishness-and-being-english-response-to-david-mitchell/

An old one but actually very timely at present given recent proposals from Labour and the Tory reactions, and the ensuing discussions on PB re an English Pmt.

'For the sake of Britain the English need to be allowed to be English and British instead of Anglo-British; a dual identity rather than a conjoined, conflated identity. “The nationalism that urgently needs definition is Englishness”, says Madeleine Bunting. If the Anglo-British nationalism of Blair, Brown and Cameron can be regarded as an English nationalism by proxy, then I agree with her completely. If the way to a new understanding of British identity is to forge a Little England nationalism that replaces the Anglo-British nationalism of a faded imperial power, then yes, let’s reimagine Britain as a multinational, consensual, union of partner nations with an English nationalism that complements the nationalisms of Scotland and Wales. Only a looser – possibly federal – idea of Britain, in which Scotland and Wales are equal partners instead of semi-autonomous parts of Greater England, will allow the nations to sit comfortably in Union.

The alternative is to force Scottish and Welsh nationalists, and increasingly English nationalists (see below), to choose between their national identities and their British identity.'
    One obstacle to that may be the progressive, multicultural strain of Britishness (difficult to entertain when you see how it’s expressed on the streets of Glasgow but nevertheless..) which loves the non specific capaciousness of a British identity. I was struck by Edward Enninful on Desert Island Discs just now and his love & gratitude towards Britain, I wonder if he’d welcome being asked to think hard about his Englishness? Identity is a slippery and mercurial thing.
    I think national identity is unique to each individual. Speaking personally, I'm a Scot, but being British is the only national identity that's ever had any emotional resonance for me. I don't think my conception of Britishness is English to a degree that would conflict with being Scottish. I also think that the Commonwealth is still vital in fuelling the cultural content of Britishness. A Britain without people from the West Indies, India, Africa and Hong Kong would be a deeply alien place.

Obviously there are people who feel radically differently about all of the above. Trying to match up a state's boundaries to some imagined nation is a mug's game. I'm all for devolution, but we'd have been better to avoid aligning the boundaries with the historic nations. A Parliament covering Scotland and the North East would have had a better chance of providing decent government rather than wanging on about referendums.
    It had to align with historic nations because that’s what we’re a union of. Of course if people want to rip up the Treaty of Union and tell those who identify with these individual national identities that they’re now arbitrarily defined regional British, I for one would welcome the fun and games that would ensue.
    There'd be no need for anyone to change their national identity. All they'd need to do is accept that the state is not a means of expressing that identity.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020

30 seconds of research will attach Mone to her husband who ran various rubbish (in could never work) tax avoidance schemes from the Isle of Mann.

They should have been nowhere near any Government money / project
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    JohnO said:

Comres

Lab 42 (-5)
    Con 31 (+5)
    LD 10
    Reform 5

Positive Leader in today's Times for Sunak too...

" The new leader’s pragmatic and drama-free focus on the issues that matter most to voters is both welcome and effective...

...What Mr Sunak has brought to office is a welcome combination of pragmatism and reasonableness. He has focused his attention on trying to find solutions to the key issues that matter most to voters...

...Crucially, he has gone about his task without the drama that has been such a feature of British politics in recent years.

...Whether Mr Sunak’s approach can save the Tories from what polls suggest is certain defeat at the next election is too soon to tell. But the party’s prospects look better than they did six weeks ago."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-times-view-on-the-prime-minister-reasonable-rishi-wrzv7wc56 (£)
This discussion has been closed.