Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Why I think that LAB will struggle to get a majority – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,336
    M45 said:

rkrkrk said:

Guardian have a longer read out on the Michelle Mone scandal. Seems a lot of buying and then selling of expensive houses, planes and yachts has been going on. I have a strong suspicion that taxpayer is not going to see much of that £200m coming back.

What I want to know is... is it illegal to lobby for a company to receive a contract, claim you had no direct interest in it, but actually be lying? It feels like it should be somehow... but not really sure.

Obtaining money by deception is a bit frowned on in the Theft Act.
    Wouldn't that come under the Fraud Act?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052

kle4 said:

All South Koreans to become younger as traditional age system scrapped
    Koreans are deemed to be a year old when born and a year is added every 1 January. It’s this age most commonly cited by Koreans in everyday life.

A separate system also exists for conscription purposes or calculating the legal age to drink alcohol and smoke, in which a person’s age is calculated from zero at birth and a year is added on 1 January.

Since the early 1960s, however, South Korea has for medical and legal documents also used the international norm of calculating from zero at birth and adding a year on every birthday.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/dec/09/all-south-koreans-to-become-younger-as-traditional-age-system-scrapped

Globalisation claims another victim.

So someone born on 31 December turned 2 the next day? Confusing.

Personally I'm in favour of the new year reverting to sometime in March, end of winter. Yes, its unfair on the southern hemisphere, but we outnumber them.
    I always wanted a thirteen month calendar system. 28 days x 13 = 364. Give one month an extra day and then ANOTHER one every four years to cover the leap year and that would be great.

I know either Danny Wallace or Dave Gorman did a comedy show around this, and it appears to work better than the current bollocks.

It seemed great to me, until I thought about it harder as an accountant and then went...... "quarterly reporting........ ahhhhhh.... won't work."

But changing our time and calendar system to something 'metric' seems like a good idea (but will never happen).
    How many days in a quarter? Depending on how you count it, could be anywhere between 89 and 92.

And don't get me started on the Gregorian calendar anyway. It's wrong. Not as bad as the Julian one, but still, won't we have a problem in 4000 years or so..... I'm thinking long term here....... doesn't it count the leap years wrong anyway?
    The idea has been suggested before - Augcember

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmlx-e_u0i8
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,028
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

M45 said:

Nigelb said:

Jonathan said:

1980 would feel like an alien planet. No mobile phones, no Internet, crap food, all cash or cheque payments, and few cash machines to get cash. It would feel virtually impossible to function.

We coped just fine. It helped being able to get 4 pints of beer and a bag of chips on the way home for less than £2.
    And businesses still accepted cheques.
    And my starting salary in 1985 was £5,600.

For younger readers, per year, not month.
    My Sub Lt's salary in 1989 was about £8,900 (as far as I can remember, it certainly wasn't much more). I prevailed upon Midland Bank to lend me 15 grand to buy a car. They knocked me back but my (RAF) CO wrote them a letter about what a fine young officer Sub Lt Dura was and they changed their mind. To this day, I suspect Freemasonry was involved.

I bought a Mk.2 GTI 16V which I wrote off almost immediately but still had to pay for the fucking thing for years.
    And the only thing you learned from that was how to part them out.
    I learned a few things. The inadvisability of attempting a Scandi Flick in a powerful (it was at the time) FWD car and the hilarious standard of RAF dentistry. My mate lost a lot of teeth in that crash and after the Crab Air Fang Farrier had patched him up he looked like Shergar (this is still his nickname today) and when he spoke his teeth made strange whistling noises like an Orange Order Fife Band.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,793
    M45 said:

kle4 said:

Koreans are deemed to be a year old when born and a year is added every 1 January. It’s this age most commonly cited by Koreans in everyday life.

A separate system also exists for conscription purposes or calculating the legal age to drink alcohol and smoke, in which a person’s age is calculated from zero at birth and a year is added on 1 January.

Since the early 1960s, however, South Korea has for medical and legal documents also used the international norm of calculating from zero at birth and adding a year on every birthday.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/dec/09/all-south-koreans-to-become-younger-as-traditional-age-system-scrapped

Personally I'm in favour of the new year reverting to sometime in March, end of winter. Yes, its unfair on the southern hemisphere, but we outnumber them.
    I always wanted a thirteen month calendar system. 28 days x 13 = 364. Give one month an extra day and then ANOTHER one every four years to cover the leap year and that would be great.

I know either Danny Wallace or Dave Gorman did a comedy show around this, and it appears to work better than the current bollocks.

It seemed great to me, until I thought about it harder as an accountant and then went...... "quarterly reporting........ ahhhhhh.... won't work."

But changing our time and calendar system to something 'metric' seems like a good idea (but will never happen).
    How many days in a quarter? Depending on how you count it, could be anywhere between 89 and 92.

And don't get me started on the Gregorian calendar anyway. It's wrong. Not as bad as the Julian one, but still, won't we have a problem in 4000 years or so..... I'm thinking long term here....... doesn't it count the leap years wrong anyway?
    Ethiopia has 13 months, 12 x 30 and one 5 or 6.
    I did some work in Burma once. They have eight days in a week, Wednesday to the rest of the world is two days for them.

This is quite important to Burmese because horoscopes matter a great deal and are based on which day of the week someone is born. It is the only place that I have been where the hospital astrologist books the appointments to auspicious days.
  • Options

kle4 said:

The idea has been suggested before - Augcember

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmlx-e_u0i8
    Islam's not ridiculously far away, but it's 12 rather than 13.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,111

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

'Wolf-whistling, catcalling and staring persistently will be criminalised in England under plans backed by Home Secretary Suella Braverman.'
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63916328

So I assume the police will have to be going to a lot of building sites then?

Voters - stop wasting time on this and fix the boat migrants issue.
    Not to mention knife crime, street robberies,....

Criminialising wolf whistling is the sort of law Harriet Harperson would introduce, I didn't realise we had elected a labour government. If we are going to start criminalising all sort of arseholery, they better start building a lot of new prisons.
    How the hell do you regulate "staring persistently"? And why on Earth should the state be policing what you can look at?
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,714
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Couldn't you just report monthly ?
    Some do. But I've some clients that only want quarterly reporting. They either don't want (or can't afford) a monthly set of accounts. If they then moved to quarterly reporting in a 13 month year, they'd end up on a weird cycle were nothing could be comparable until three years had passed. Q1 Y1, Q2 Y1, Q3 Y1, Q4 Y1 then Q5/1 for Y1/2 (or something). Or we'd have to run a 3-3-3-4 system (like some do with weekly reporting - I've a client that does weekly reporting within months and within quarters, so runs 4-4-5 each quarter, then gets stuck as 52 weeks isn't a year either so every few years runs 5-4-5 for the last quarter. Confused.... so was I!)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited December 2022
    WillG said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

'Wolf-whistling, catcalling and staring persistently will be criminalised in England under plans backed by Home Secretary Suella Braverman.'

Criminialising wolf whistling is the sort of law Harriet Harperson would introduce, I didn't realise we had elected a labour government. If we are going to start criminalising all sort of arseholery, they better start building a lot of new prisons.
    How the hell do you regulate "staring persistently"? And why on Earth should the state be policing what you can look at?
    We already quite rightly have laws against stalking etc. And the two crimes that have motivated this law wouldn't have been prevented.
  • Options
    WillG said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

That's the problem with this Woke Home Secretary.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    WillG said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

Doesn't it do this all the time, via censorship?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

BiB - Welcome to my world...

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/136295/response/334611/attach/4/Attachment B.PDF.pdf
    My goodness! You STILL can't report quarterly using that! Better make it 16 periods......
  • Options
    Foxy said:

WillG said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

Perhaps it's designed to deal with those who stare in astonishment at her latest stupid idea.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

WillG said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

I'm reminded of the Tom Lehrer line,
    When correctly viewed, everything is lewd.

If you're party's set to choke, everything is woke.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,907
    HYUFD said:

What's the definition of "staring persistently"?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

When oil was previously ~£60 per barrel petrol prices were ~£1.43 per litre. Today they are ~£1.57 per litre. Neither the government nor opposition gives a shit about it and it is a huge source of our continued high inflation environment. Plus hitting forecourts is such an easy win for either party, everyone loathes them.

What was the pound/dollar exchange rate at that time? Serious question.
    Hasn't Max factored that in by pricing oil in pounds?
    You know, I hadn't actually spotted that. So used to seeing oil priced in dollars I filled in the blanks. So presumably yes!
    No - max is deliberately misleading by implying it’s the petrol stations.

It’s entirely down to the FX change - their costs are in dollars which have gone up in pound terms (ie the pound is weaker). The balance is operating costs & margin plus excise and VAT all priced in pounds
    But I'm pricing in sterling, not dollars. When oil was last ~$73 per barrel petrol prices were £1.30 per litre, I'm not suggesting they should be that low. It absolutely is the petrol stations and supermarkets. Only a fool would pretend otherwise.
    It's the supermarkets.

Our local Gulf and Texaco forecourts have cut their prices to 149.9 while Tesco has just cut theirs to 153.9

Given Tesco would previously have been 2-3p cheaper than dedicated petrol stations while now they're 4p more expensive, that 6-7p a litre increase in supermarket prices relative to others is a relative premium change that accounts for the majority of the difference from 143.9
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

WillG said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

Perhaps it's designed to deal with those who stare in astonishment at her latest stupid idea.
    Well we also now have the if you make noise at a protest you can get banged up, now no staring laws.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792
    Dura_Ace said:

MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

UK and Japan merge their future fighter programs.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/GarethJennings3/status/1601064213606457344

Keeps us in the military aircraft game for now.

Is there much future in piloted fighters now? Autonomous AI piloted drones, surely?
    These are hybrid fighters, can be flown by a pilot and remotely.
    The Tempest/Global Winning Superfighter will end being 100% crewed but is part of a larger 'system of systems' which is hypothesised to include a companion uncrewed component which does not exist yet. Though comparable systems; XQ-58 Valkyrie and MQ-28 Ghost Bat are in an advanced state of development in the US and Australia respectively.

Optionally crewed vehicles are always posited but have, thus far, never eventuated as they would up being very heavy, complex and expensive to use in uncrewed roles. Why not use a dedicated UAS?

There is a bit of a rethink going regarding uncrewed air systems at the moment. There is no doubt that they are going to form a large part of any air combat component but some issues have emerged with their increasing proliferation.

First, it's very hard to retain UAS crews for a long period. People will happily do flying tours in crewed aircraft for years on end (I did five consecutive flying tours) but people absolutely will not do that on UAS. A few years and that's it. They can't take any more of sitting in a Portacabin, eating Pringles and incinerating strangers on motorbikes in the desert with a Hellfire.

Second, UAS need a lot of crew. Even a medium weight system like MQ-9 needs a full mission creew and a full recovery crew - four people. This makes the retention problem above even more serious. A large UAS force has to recruit and train in large numbers on a constant basis. The RAF have ran into trouble with this and have resorted to using American mercenaries, sorry contractors, as the in-theatre recovery element for MQ-9.
    It will be interesting to see how military UAS evolve.

At the moment, there's a very large gap between the high end stuff and the TB2 style bits of kit (and a load of varied stuff below that).
    The cheaper the kit, the shorter the product lifecycle, so that's where the more interesting development is taking place.
  • Options
    BozzaBozza Posts: 37

Bozza said:

On topic, indeed, and lest we forget Corbyn's toxic legacy where he bequeathed Starmer fewer MPs than Michael Foot won in 1983.

On topic.

Starmer lacks the gravitas to be Prime Minister,…
    And Johnson does?

The track record speaks for itself. A Statesman that got all the big calls right. The trifecta of triumph that was Brexit, Covid and Ukraine.
  • Options
    WillG said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

TFL can apparently punish you for staring persistently in a sexual manner on one of their trains. I saw the poster only this morning.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Tricky, but my suggestion is that they start by locking up all the attendees at Liverpool's next home game at Anfield, just in case. I bet it would do wonders for the local crime rates too!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

WillG said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

Well we also now have the if you make noise at a protest you can get banged up, now no staring laws.
    Why don't we go the whole way, and have a secular version of Iran's Morality Police ?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

WillG said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

Why don't we go the whole way, and have a secular version of Iran's Morality Police ?
    I hear young people on nights out in pubs and clubs are known to be caught checking out one another from time to time.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

WillG said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

I am old enough to remember when being arrested "for looking at me in a funny way" was regarded as satire:

https://youtu.be/BO8EpfyCG2Y
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Tricky, but my suggestion is that they start by locking up all the attendees at Liverpool's next home game at Anfield, just in case. I bet it would do wonders for the local crime rates too!
    Goodison Park as well? Or just Anfield?
    Their next home game is against Leicester. Would that help in Leicester as well do you think?
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,696

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Couldn't you just report monthly ?
    Some do. But I've some clients that only want quarterly reporting. They either don't want (or can't afford) a monthly set of accounts. If they then moved to quarterly reporting in a 13 month year, they'd end up on a weird cycle were nothing could be comparable until three years had passed. Q1 Y1, Q2 Y1, Q3 Y1, Q4 Y1 then Q5/1 for Y1/2 (or something). Or we'd have to run a 3-3-3-4 system (like some do with weekly reporting - I've a client that does weekly reporting within months and within quarters, so runs 4-4-5 each quarter, then gets stuck as 52 weeks isn't a year either so every few years runs 5-4-5 for the last quarter. Confused.... so was I!)
    If you define a quarter as three calendar months, I think you overcome that particular problem. And though each quarter would not be exactly the same length, the quarters would be comparable with the previous year.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited December 2022
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

WillG said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

I am old enough to remember when being arrested "for looking at me in a funny way" was regarded as satire:

The sad thing is the opposition are welcoming this new legislation....the whole point of an opposition is to point out when the government are making stupid laws.
  • Options

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

WillG said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

The sad thing is the opposition are welcoming this new legislation....the whole point of an opposition is to point out when the government are making stupid laws.
    I don't particularly have a problem with criminalising persistent public sexual harassment, indeed it has merit.

Staring seems a bit much though it is bad manners.
  • Options
    Bozza said:

Bozza said:

On topic, indeed, and lest we forget Corbyn's toxic legacy where he bequeathed Starmer fewer MPs than Michael Foot won in 1983.

On topic.

Starmer lacks the gravitas to be Prime Minister,…
    And Johnson does?

The track record speaks for itself. A Statesman that got all the big calls right. The trifecta of triumph that was Brexit, Covid and Ukraine.
    I wonder if history will see Boris surpass Churchill in the 'greatest ever prime minister' rankings. Winnie only had WWII for Christ's sake! Boris has three times his achievements already, and that's discounting his mayoral triumphs: the Olympics, Boris Bikes, Routemaster etc. People questioned whether Boris should be spoken in the same breath as Churchill. It should be the other way round.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

WillG said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

Whoever thought that woke and authoritarianism could go together?
  • Options
    Nice article in the Guardian on Jessop's famous innings.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2022/dec/07/gilbert-jessops-record-stands-test-of-time-but-new-england-likely-to-surpass-feat
    ...Jessop started hitting straight away, seven runs off his first over from Saunders, and soon after, a six off Trumble that landed on the pavilion awning. “Why in the name of sense,” said a “long-faced man” in the pavilion, “why can’t he go steady for a bit? He’ll slog another couple of fours and then give a catch in the deep, and we’ll have lost the match.” The next moment, Jessop was nearly stumped as he leapt out of his ground to try and hit Saunders to the boundary. “There, what did I tell you?” Soon after that, he was dropped at long-off. According to the Guardian’s report, one “amateur critic” said then “schoolboys would play better”.

It was around now that a young PG Wodehouse cut out of the ground so he could get back to his desk at the Hong Kong Shanghai Bank, a decision which, he would joke later, made him pack the job in and take up writing...

It ought also to be pointed out that it was scored on a dodgy wicket, and at the time six runs were scored only for hits out of the ground.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,300

kamski said:

Someone here mentioned a parent a few times who "didn't believe in homework".

Here (NRW) written homework generally isn't allowed in schools that have afternoon lessons, at least until the Oberstufe (final 3 years before Abitur, if taken).

That was me; the mother of another child said it to me. TBF, the school gives very little homework (one small sheet of maths a week; they're cramming on times tables for the year 4 multiplication Test. The homework I was referring to was the stuff he does with me at home.
    So homework that you give him?

The primary schools I know generally don't have homework. The children have a weekly plan of stuff they are supposed to do by the end of the week. Most primary schools only have lessons in the morning, then there is a voluntary afternoon bit which is run by different people (who aren't necessarily teachers). Most children attend the afternoon (OGS), and in the afternoons there is space to complete bits of the weekly plan that children didn't manage to do in the mornings. Otherwise they play, do clubs, other activities in the afternoon. Occasionally I hear of children who didn't manage to finish the weekly plan during the week, and they do it at the weekend with their parents. But it's not much - sometimes my son comes home on Tuesday and tells me he has already finished the weekly plan during the morning lessons.

I was talking to the head of a secondary school last week, and he told me they generally don't give homework because
    a) they have compulsory afternoon lessons 3 times a week, and it is therefore against the rules for them to give regular written homework.
    b) they don't find if very useful because the children who know how to do whatever exercise they are given get bored, and the ones who don't are frustrated because there is nobody to help them. I'm sure this is a bit of an oversimplification, but I found it interesting.

In any case the gradual switch from morning-only schools in Germany has been accompanied by rules against (or limits on) homework (which vary according to Bundesland).
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,874
    edited December 2022
    I remember when I first saw those “staring” ads on the Tube, about two years ago. From memory, they implore you to notify a member of staff If someone is looking at you lasciviously.

I remarked at the time that it was fatuous and oppressive, sad news that it might now become an actual law.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,563
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

WillG said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

IIRC Corbyn backed a suggestion for women only carriages on the tube. This was originally suggested by exactly the kind of TheoFascist loony you’d expect.

Man ahead of his time?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618

I remember when I first saw those “staring” ads on the Tube, about two years ago. From memory, they implore you to notify a member of staff If someone is looking at you lasciviously.

I remarked at the time that it was fatuous and oppressive, sad news that it might now become an actual law.

This is the endgame of wokism, oppression.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    edited December 2022
    He should never play for England again and Arsenal should sack him for letting England down.

Ben White returned home from England’s World Cup camp after allegedly falling out with the assistant coach Steve Holland, a report has claimed.

Mystery has surrounded the reasons for White’s departure from the tournament last week, with the Football Association remaining tight-lipped beyond citing “personal reasons”.

However, the Daily Star has claimed that the Arsenal defender was reprimanded by Holland in a team meeting for not knowing “some vital information relating to his personal stats”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ben-white-left-england-camp-after-falling-out-with-assistant-coach-steve-holland-8s8b5h9xw

• Options
    DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

WillG said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

I don't particularly have a problem with criminalising persistent public sexual harassment, indeed it has merit.

Harassment is already a crime, whether in public or private, sexual or otherwise.

As for staring, a perp might be able to get away with it if he adopts a "no tells" facial expression, dons dark glasses, and stares at a reasonably large angle to straight ahead.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

‘The emotions of Britishness and being English, a response to David Mitchell’

Some say that England requires no representative, accountable, democractic institutions because the institutions of the British state are, in fact, de facto English. Mitchell alludes to this Anglo-centric mindset when he informs us that “when Palmerston said "English" he meant British”. My challenge to Mitchell and other Brits who wish to save the Union is to imagine a new multi-national Britain that draws strength from its hybridity instead of riding rough-shod over the national identities of Britain by buying into these Anglo-centric, Anglo-British notions of Britishness.

… if devolution has failed to ‘kill nationalism stone dead’, as George Robertson prophesised, it is partly because it has heightened the perception that Britain is the English State by proxy, and devolution merely an exercise in post-imperial imperialism.

Today when the public hears British politicians refer to ‘our country’ or ‘our NHS’ it is reasonable to assume that they are talking about England or the NHS in England

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opendemocracyuk/emotions-of-britishness-and-being-english-response-to-david-mitchell/

An old one but actually very timely at present given recent proposals from Labour and the Tory reactions, and the ensuing discussions on PB re an English Pmt.

'For the sake of Britain the English need to be allowed to be English and British instead of Anglo-British; a dual identity rather than a conjoined, conflated identity. “The nationalism that urgently needs definition is Englishness”, says Madeleine Bunting. If the Anglo-British nationalism of Blair, Brown and Cameron can be regarded as an English nationalism by proxy, then I agree with her completely. If the way to a new understanding of British identity is to forge a Little England nationalism that replaces the Anglo-British nationalism of a faded imperial power, then yes, let’s reimagine Britain as a multinational, consensual, union of partner nations with an English nationalism that complements the nationalisms of Scotland and Wales. Only a looser – possibly federal – idea of Britain, in which Scotland and Wales are equal partners instead of semi-autonomous parts of Greater England, will allow the nations to sit comfortably in Union.

The alternative is to force Scottish and Welsh nationalists, and increasingly English nationalists (see below), to choose between their national identities and their British identity.'
    One obstacle to that may be the progressive, multicultural strain of Britishness (difficult to entertain when you see how it’s expressed on the streets of Glasgow but nevertheless..) which loves the non specific capaciousness of a British identity. I was struck by Edward Enninful on Desert Island Discs just now and his love & gratitude towards Britain, I wonder if he’d welcome being asked to think hard about his Englishness? Identity is a slippery and mercurial thing.
    I think national identity is unique to each individual. Speaking personally, I'm a Scot, but being British is the only national identity that's ever had any emotional resonance for me. I don't think my conception of Britishness is English to a degree that would conflict with being Scottish. I also think that the Commonwealth is still vital in fuelling the cultural content of Britishness. A Britain without people from the West Indies, India, Africa and Hong Kong would be a deeply alien place.

Obviously there are people who feel radically differently about all of the above. Trying to match up a state's boundaries to some imagined nation is a mug's game. I'm all for devolution, but we'd have been better to avoid aligning the boundaries with the historic nations. A Parliament covering Scotland and the North East would have had a better chance of providing decent government rather than wanging on about referendums.
    It had to align with historic nations because that’s what we’re a union of. Of course if people want to rip up the Treaty of Union and tell those who identify with these individual national identities that they’re now arbitrarily defined regional British, I for one would welcome the fun and games that would ensue.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

He should never play for England again and Arsenal should sack him for letting England down.

Ben White returned home from England’s World Cup camp after allegedly falling out with the assistant coach Steve Holland, a report has claimed.

Mystery has surrounded the reasons for White’s departure from the tournament last week, with the Football Association remaining tight-lipped beyond citing “personal reasons”.

However, the Daily Star has claimed that the Arsenal defender was reprimanded by Holland in a team meeting for not knowing “some vital information relating to his personal stats”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ben-white-left-england-camp-after-falling-out-with-assistant-coach-steve-holland-8s8b5h9xw

"Daily Star has claimed"
  • Options

Foxy said:

WillG said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

Whoever thought that woke and authoritarianism could go together?
    As I pointed out the other day, the reason that you can replicate ultra-woke and ultra-anti-woke tracts with a simple travesty generator is that they aren’t arguments or discussions.

They are repeating what the author hopes is the correct verse of The Creed. With a bit of search and replace on the subject.

Not surprising that a machine can do the same thing, easily.

In 1984, there is a term in NewSpeak for this - parroting the party line without any of that dangerous thinking stuff.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

WillG said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

I assume we will recruit the extra tens of thousands of police, prosecutors, prison staff to enforce these laws as well? No, ah, might be a problem then as none of them can cope with existing caseloads.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

This is the endgame of wokism, oppression.
    Some years ago, when eye tracking tech was first being worked on, someone suggested that it would be a good idea to install it in CCTV (of suitably high resolution). So that what you looked at would be tracked and recorded.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

WillG said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

I assume we will recruit the extra tens of thousands of police, prosecutors, prison staff to enforce these laws as well? No, ah, might be a problem then as none of them can cope with existing caseloads.
    I don't think the Morality Police concern themselves too much with courts and the like.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    edited December 2022
    tlg86 said:

"Daily Star has claimed"
    The paper that saw off Liz Truss with a lettuce is the country’s top paper.

I trust them.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,474
    Dura_Ace said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon looking at his phone while scrolling for mad alt-right shit on Twitter.
    I'm on to ChatGPT now

"ChatGPT is already better than Google for many queries. I find myself coming back to it when Google fails, and it's delivering.

A historical accomplishment. They did the impossible. Congrats to
    @sama,@gdb, @johnschulman2 , and the team.
    Woj"

https://twitter.com/balajis/status/1601185000556490753?s=20&t=IlljW2c7_XagM1lZVlztZA

"Been playing around with ChatGPT and we are all fucked. The book publishing industry is about to be completely steamrolled by AI. Here's a quick thread showing how ChatGPT is about to absolutely displace this industry:"

https://twitter.com/bryanblears/status/1601146805281951744?s=20&t=IlljW2c7_XagM1lZVlztZA

Humans have been writing for 5,000 years, and they've been telling stories as a profession for 500 years. That is about to end
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

tlg86 said:

"Daily Star has claimed"

I trust them.
    It may well be true. In fact, I hope it is true. If it isn't, the press could be inflicting some serious pain on him.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

"Daily Star has claimed"

I trust them.
    It may well be true. In fact, I hope it is true. If it isn't, the press could be inflicting some serious pain on him.
    The Times say Southgate has a press conference today and I’m sure it will come up.
  • Options

kamski said:

Here (NRW) written homework generally isn't allowed in schools that have afternoon lessons, at least until the Oberstufe (final 3 years before Abitur, if taken).

That was me; the mother of another child said it to me. TBF, the school gives very little homework (one small sheet of maths a week; they're cramming on times tables for the year 4 multiplication Test. The homework I was referring to was the stuff he does with me at home.
    ChatGPT has just killed homework. How will you stop kids typing their assignments into a machine/phone that will then give them near-perfect results, in 3 seconds?

Honestly, people who aren't obsessively thinking about ChatGPT and AI 24/7, in between snorts of heroin for anxiety-relief, probably aren't thinking at all
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,320
    DJ41 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

WillG said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

Harassment is already a crime, whether in public or private, sexual or otherwise.

As for staring, a perp might be able to get away with it if he adopts a "no tells" facial expression, dons dark glasses, and stares at a reasonably large angle to straight ahead.
    Ah so make like Roy Orbison. But don't start singing Pretty Woman.
  • Options
    Great thread.
    Chances of its suggestions being adopted by Musk, approx zero.

https://twitter.com/alexstamos/status/1599080998339477504
    Let's steelman @elonmusk 's concern about political influence on the content decisions of major platforms and come up with practical steps Musk could take to set a new standard:

1) Commit to releasing all communications by global political actors related to content moderation...

...This would include all communications with government affairs teams, official requests from "internet referral units" such as those run by the EU and Israel, and out-of-band comms with executives such as Musk himself. You would want to include governments, parties and candidates...

Because...
    ...Transparency in communications with the PRC after implementing this policy will be critical in establishing trust with the rest of the world, as Musk's relationships with the PRC are deep and complicated.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,296
    Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Andy_JS said:

I'm on to ChatGPT now

"ChatGPT is already better than Google for many queries. I find myself coming back to it when Google fails, and it's delivering.

Woj"

https://twitter.com/balajis/status/1601185000556490753?s=20&t=IlljW2c7_XagM1lZVlztZA

"Been playing around with ChatGPT and we are all fucked. The book publishing industry is about to be completely steamrolled by AI. Here's a quick thread showing how ChatGPT is about to absolutely displace this industry:"

https://twitter.com/bryanblears/status/1601146805281951744?s=20&t=IlljW2c7_XagM1lZVlztZA

Humans have been writing for 5,000 years, and they've been telling stories as a profession for 500 years. That is about to end
    Well its not stopped you writing on here yet...
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,518
    Speaking of inflation, Frederick Lewis Allen gave some interesting US price examples from 1919, in his book "Only Yesterday":
    milk: 15 cents a quart
    sirloin steak: 42 cents a pound
    butter: 61 cents a pound
    eggs: 62 cents a dozen

Using the first inflation calculator I found, you would have to multiply those by about 17 to get current US prices. Of course that doesn't allow for the increase in quality, especially safety, For example, much (most?) of the milk sold in he US then would not have been pasteurized.

Currently, in this area (which has higher food prices than the US average), three of those are less expensive than they were in 1919. For example, a dozen eggs usually costs about 2 dollars.

Sirloin steak is a bit higher than in 1919, but coming down.

(When people discuss producivity, they usually think about factories. But farm productivity is more important, historically. You can't have factory workers if farmers aren't producing enough food for them.)
  • Options
    Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Andy_JS said:

I'm on to ChatGPT now

Woj"

Lucky that you’re in the dildo whittling line of work.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Andy_JS said:

I'm on to ChatGPT now

Woj"

The poets should be safe though. It's versification would make McGonagall choke.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

DJ41 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

WillG said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

Great song, but exceptionally creepy if you take the lyrics seriously.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

WillG said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

I'm reading "Surveillance State" (2022) by Josh Chin and Liza Lin. Even if tactics aren't identical across the entire front, it seems every country in the world is advancing in the same direction.

If it's true that protests in Beijing and other Chinese cities including others on the eastern seaboard have been partly fuelled by anger at how the authorities, because of Covid rules (cough cough), didn't deal properly with the deadly blaze in Urumqi, that's interesting given that everyone who died was Uighur.

Could there possibly be a growing feeling of "First they came for the Uighurs..."? I doubt there is. But there should be. And not just in China.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Andy_JS said:

I'm on to ChatGPT now

Woj"

Will will writers do? Sell their bodies?
  • Options

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Andy_JS said:

I'm on to ChatGPT now

Woj"

How do you know? I could have asked it to do all my comments for me. It wouldn't be hard to turn me into an algorithm
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    I bet she'll be a damn sight more independent than the other two "Independents".
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

DJ41 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

WillG said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

How about Music to Watch Girls By.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kamski said:

ChatGPT has just killed homework. How will you stop kids typing their assignments into a machine/phone that will then give them near-perfect results, in 3 seconds?

Honestly, people who aren't obsessively thinking about ChatGPT and AI 24/7, in between snorts of heroin for anxiety-relief, probably aren't thinking at all
    Homework is so yesterday.

As is heroin.
  • Options

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Andy_JS said:

I'm on to ChatGPT now

Woj"

Lucky that you’re in the dildo whittling line of work.
    Yes, a narrow escape
  • Options

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Andy_JS said:

I'm on to ChatGPT now

Woj"

Are you sure ?
  • Options
    Leon said:

kamski said:

For me it's about forging a seamless link between AI and VR. Once this happens ... well you don't need me to tell you.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kamski said:

It’s terribly exciting.

From a corporate perspective, I can see the elimination of much PPT dogwork just around the corner.

I’m yet to be convinced on its creative abilities, except for really low common denominator stuff (like fanfic, as you note).

• Options

kinabalu said:

DJ41 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

WillG said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

How about Music to Watch Girls By.
    That's Andy Williams.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Andy_JS said:

I'm on to ChatGPT now

Google is sh*te.

Try to find the URL for Donald Trump's Truth Social page using Google.
    Then compare with DuckDuckGo, using the same search terms.

As for ChatGPT, it answers "What is the URL of Donald Trump's Truth Social page?" with

"I'm sorry, but I am not able to browse the internet or access information about current events. I am a large language model trained by OpenAI and my knowledge is based on text that I have been trained on, but I do not have access to current events or the ability to browse the internet. Is there something else I can help you with?"

• Options
    My daughter, now eight, moved from 10 minutes a day homework in London (handwriting, maths, reading) to a set of practical projects per term here in New York.

Most of the parents are deeply suspicious, but the young, smart and highly regarded teachers insist that traditional style homework doesn’t help and can hurt.

Hmmm.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

Using latest Techne and PP polling in the EMA gives the Tories 109 seats and Labour a 254 majority (Blair got 179 majority in 1997).

For @HYFUD, transferring all the 5.9% from Reform UK to the Tories gives the Tories 185 seats and Labour a comfortable 114 majority.

If you then transfer say half the Green share to Labour, then the Tories get 160 seats and Labour a 164 overall majority - approaching the Blair result in 1997.

185 still more than 1997. As I said earlier Starmer's lead over Sunak is no larger than Cameron's was over Brown 2 years before the 2010 general election which produced a hung parliament.

Yougov in July 2008 for example had the Conservatives on 47% and Labour on just 25%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2010_United_Kingdom_general_election
    Depends what the result of the next election is. I think a 45-50% chance of a small Lab majority now is about right.

I can see how Labour gets exactly the same swing as 1997 from 2019 i.e. 10.5% ( obviously Labour cannot get a landslide as they are starting with 70 seats less than Kinnock).

Let's say Labour 42% Tories 33%.

I think the Tories will still get about 200 seats like Howard in 2005 or Corbyn in 2019 but it is quite feasible now to see how Labour wins back nearly all their 2019 losses even seats like Bassetlaw plus wins seats in the South of England in Bournemouth, Worthing, Southend, Colchester etc that they didn't win in 1997.

I can only now see a big Labour underperformance in the West Midlands at the next election plus I'd be surprised if Labour didn't win at least a handful in Scotland such as east lothian, midlothian, kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath, Glasgow East etc. on the basis of recent by/election results.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

DJ41 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

WillG said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

Yep that's what I mean. Totally gives the game away.
  • Options

Leon said:

kamski said:

It’s terribly exciting.

From a corporate perspective, I can see the elimination of much PPT dogwork just around the corner.

I’m yet to be convinced on its creative abilities, except for really low common denominator stuff (like fanfic, as you note).

It is already incredibly creative, you just need to nudge it in the right direction

And also, this is the Beta version of a new bot that has been in existence for TEN DAYS. And a whole new iteration - 500 times more powerful - GPT4 - is coming down the road in a month or two

AI is on an exponential curve, and we are only in the foothills. Yes, it is going to destroy 98% of creative jobs. Possibly 99.99%
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,940
    2 more results from yesterday - Con gain from Labour in Dumfries; 1 Lab and 1 LD gain from Independents in Colchester. Brighton and Hove is counting this afternoon.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kamski said:

It’s terribly exciting.

It is already incredibly creative, you just need to nudge it in the right direction

And also, this is the Beta version of a new bot that has been in existence for TEN DAYS. And a whole new iteration - 500 times more powerful - GPT4 - is coming down the road in a month or two

AI is on an exponential curve, and we are only in the foothills. Yes, it is going to destroy 98% of creative jobs. Possibly 99.99%
    Excellent news for those of us who have always lacked an imagination.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

DJ41 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

WillG said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

Yep that's what I mean. Totally gives the game away.
    The lyrics aren’t creepy at all.

The man looks longingly at the woman, thinks she has ignored him, and then sees her approaching after all.

Where’s the creepy bit?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,893
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/dec/09/revealed-the-full-inside-story-of-the-michelle-mone-ppe-scandal

GRaun has now put out a full report on the PPE affair.

'One official working on the critical effort to develop the UK’s testing capacity has told the Guardian that because of Mone’s links to PPE Medpro, the company was given special treatment when it tried to sell lateral flow tests. The company required more personal attention from officials, the official said, a culture they found “improper, and personally abhorrent”.

“Ministers are now saying that the VIP status was irrelevant, because civil servants ultimately made the decisions on which companies were awarded contracts,” the official said. “But that is disingenuous: it is corruption of policy, process and procedure. Ministers made clear that politically connected people should be given special treatment. So we were forced to spend extra time with these companies – such as PPE Medpro, which had no apparent expertise and should not have got through the door.”

The DHSC has always said – and maintains today – that due diligence was followed in all cases of procurement during the pandemic.'
  • Options
    The Scottish town of Wick is a complete and utter shithole. This backwater town is so boring and uninteresting that it makes me want to gouge my eyes out with a spoon. There is absolutely nothing to do in this godforsaken place, and the people who live here are the most dull and insipid individuals I have ever had the misfortune of encountering.

Furthermore, the people who live in Wick live the most tedious and uninteresting lives imaginable. They spend their days sitting in front of their televisions, staring blankly at the screen and mindlessly shoveling food into their faces. They have no hobbies or passions, and their only form of entertainment is gossiping about their neighbors and watching reality TV shows. They are the epitome of mediocrity and intellectual vacuity.

In addition to its dullness and lack of culture, Wick is also known for its obsession with UFOs, leather buckets, and aliens. The town is filled with conspiracy theorists who claim to have seen strange lights in the sky and who believe that the government is covering up the existence of extraterrestrial life. They are also known for their strange fetish for leather buckets and their obsession with the SNP.

To make matters even worse, Wick is also home to the infamous "sheep with all poo on him," as well as a large number of people who enjoy whittling and collecting flints. The town is also obsessed with the app What3Words, which they use to navigate their mundane and uninteresting lives.

Furthermore, the town is home to Stuart Dickson, who is known for his tiny penis and his surprising political opinions. The town is also filled with subsamples, and many residents are "woke" and constantly searching for social justice causes to support.

Furthermore, the town has been hit hard by the coronavirus pandemic, and many residents have lost their jobs and are struggling to make ends meet. In addition, there are a number of sexy teenage girls in the town, but they are often overshadowed by the dull and uninteresting personalities of the older residents.

Wick, as I said, is a shithole
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

WillG said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

How do you define that?

For example. Was out at a bar the colleagues. One of whom is gay. Chap walks into the bar, with a spray on T-shirt, and the body building habit to match. Colleague stares. A lot.

Crime? Bad manners? Or intended reaction?
  • Options
    Leon said:

The Scottish town of Wick is a complete and utter shithole. This backwater town is so boring and uninteresting that it makes me want to gouge my eyes out with a spoon. There is absolutely nothing to do in this godforsaken place, and the people who live here are the most dull and insipid individuals I have ever had the misfortune of encountering.

Furthermore, the people who live in Wick live the most tedious and uninteresting lives imaginable. They spend their days sitting in front of their televisions, staring blankly at the screen and mindlessly shoveling food into their faces. They have no hobbies or passions, and their only form of entertainment is gossiping about their neighbors and watching reality TV shows. They are the epitome of mediocrity and intellectual vacuity.

In addition to its dullness and lack of culture, Wick is also known for its obsession with UFOs, leather buckets, and aliens. The town is filled with conspiracy theorists who claim to have seen strange lights in the sky and who believe that the government is covering up the existence of extraterrestrial life. They are also known for their strange fetish for leather buckets and their obsession with the SNP.

To make matters even worse, Wick is also home to the infamous "sheep with all poo on him," as well as a large number of people who enjoy whittling and collecting flints. The town is also obsessed with the app What3Words, which they use to navigate their mundane and uninteresting lives.

Furthermore, the town is home to Stuart Dickson, who is known for his tiny penis and his surprising political opinions. The town is also filled with subsamples, and many residents are "woke" and constantly searching for social justice causes to support.

Furthermore, the town has been hit hard by the coronavirus pandemic, and many residents have lost their jobs and are struggling to make ends meet. In addition, there are a number of sexy teenage girls in the town, but they are often overshadowed by the dull and uninteresting personalities of the older residents.

Doesn't say much for AI. Or for you that you completely missed Pulteneytown within Wick itself and the area's considerable attractions.
  • Options
    Leon said:

This is probably the best thing you’ve posted in months. Para 5, genuine lol.
  • Options

Leon said:

Interesting how it responds to Leon, too. "obsessed with the app What3Words".
  • Options

My daughter, now eight, moved from 10 minutes a day homework in London (handwriting, maths, reading) to a set of practical projects per term here in New York.

Most of the parents are deeply suspicious, but the young, smart and highly regarded teachers insist that traditional style homework doesn’t help and can hurt.

Hmmm.

Like nearly everything, it depends how it is done.

Homework, done sensibly, teaches independent working, self time management and problem solving.

When I went to university, a number of people in the class had come from schools where all the work was in lessons. Learning was 100% guided.

They found it incredibly difficult to deal with 4 subjects x 2 lectures per subject per week. The rest was up to you.

I’d done my A levels at a CFE, and to me, it was exactly what I’d been doing - x hours of lectures on each subject per week.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Interesting how it responds to Leon, too. "obsessed with the app What3Words".
    It’s Leon aping AI though, not the other way round.
  • Options
    Newent is a small town in England that is both terrible and boring. The locals are unwelcoming and unfriendly, making it impossible to have a good time in this dump of a town.

The streets are dirty and littered with trash, giving the town a rundown and neglected appearance. The few shops that are still open are dismal and uninviting, with poorly stocked shelves and uninterested staff. Even the local pub, which is supposed to be the heart of the community, is a desolate and depressing place that serves watered down drinks and overpriced food.

The people of Newent are equally as disappointing. They are rude and unaccommodating, making it clear that they do not want outsiders in their town. They are also incredibly insular, with no interest in engaging with the outside world or trying new things. Instead, they are content to live their mundane and unfulfilling lives in this godforsaken town.

Newent is also known for its obsession with opinion polls and stepmoms. The town is filled with political junkies who are constantly checking the latest polls and arguing about the merits of the Conservative Party. They are also known for their strange fascination with stepmoms and the issues they face.

To make matters even worse, Newent is home to "that wanker theuniondivvie" and "that idiot DuraAce," two of the most insufferable and annoying individuals imaginable. They can often be found hanging out at the dockside, harassing the ladies who work there and spouting off about their pointless and irrelevant opinions.

Furthermore, the town is obsessed with the latest technology, and many residents are eagerly anticipating the arrival of self-driving cars and other futuristic innovations. They are also known for their strange fascination with urinals and their obsession with the Home Secretary and Congress.

In short, Newent is a toilet

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,670
    Re our discussion the other day on extraordinary characters from WWII and the comments about Douglas Bader. I had a friend stay over last night and we got into the same sort of discussion, mainly because we were talking about his Dad. Long since died and whom I knew only a little. He flew a Thuderbolt and then a Tempest ground attack aircraft during the war in the Far East. He also had the distinction of being one of Vera Lynn's fighter escorts when she flew from place to place. He also flew (as a flight engineer) during the Berlin Airlift. He was a conscript and a Flight Sargent and it was said he was selected for fighter planes rather than bombers because he was not a team player and because of his lack of respect for authority (I don't know whether that is true, but it is true that that was the nature of his character). The surprise, however, was that unprompted, his son recalled him telling the story of the only time he met Douglas Bader. He said he might have been a hero, but he was the most arrogant, rudest man he had ever met. Rather confirms the comments from the other day.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061

Hmmm.

I wonder how much it reduces the teacher's workload not to mark twenty or thirty sets of homework every week? ;)

It's probably the fact that all kids are different, and what works for one child may be bad for another. For instance, my son did not get on with phonics, and recently stated that phonics was the only subject at school that he had actively disliked. Friends of his - one in the same class - loved it.
  • Options
    I may have crashed ChatGPT. I asked it to write a Perl script that translates the input into Pig Latin, but it's still hanging after 15 minutes. I wonder if it misunderstood and is writing a Perl script to translate the input into actual Latin.
  • Options
    THE AI IS WATCHING US

The website politicalbetting.com is a poo-house of a dumpster fire, filled with wolverines that have lost their minds. It is a place where the geriatric fool NPXMP rants and raves, while the overwanked ginge Robert Smithson spews his nonsensical opinions. And let's not forget the slippery tit of a man, The Screaming Eagles, who spends all day watching the Test and spouting off about how great he is.

Despite all of this, there are a few shining stars on politicalbetting.com. Liz Truss is surprising on the upside, with her intelligent and thoughtful posts. And of course, there is the elegant and multifarious gentleman Leon, who always manages to rise above the chaos and provide a level-headed and reasoned perspective.

But these few diamonds in the rough cannot make up for the overall terribleness of politicalbetting.com. It is a site that should be avoided at all costs, unless you want to subject yourself to the rants and ravings of a bunch of unhinged lunatics.
  • Options

Hmmm.

I wonder how much it reduces the teacher's workload not to mark twenty or thirty sets of homework every week? ;)

It's probably the fact that all kids are different, and what works for one child may be bad for another. For instance, my son did not get on with phonics, and recently stated that phonics was the only subject at school that he had actively disliked. Friends of his - one in the same class - loved it.
    My daughter loved swimming in London, and doesn’t like it in New York. Conversely, she hated French in London and loves it in New York.

Kids are different and teachers are different.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,252
    edited December 2022
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

DJ41 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

WillG said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

Living Doll takes the biscuit for creepiness.

‘I’m gonna lock her up in a trunk so no big hunk
    Can steal her away from me.’

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Interesting thread on how major infrastructure projects in the UK are now slower and more costly than they used to be.

https://twitter.com/sam_dumitriu/status/1594971857643573250?s=46&t=vrKykZbgjhmiVKqA3imNSA

Problem seems to be we have spent the 2010s imposing fiendishly cumbersome but ambiguous planning rules.
  • Options
    This is a genius line:

"The website politicalbetting.com is a poo-house of a dumpster fire, filled with wolverines that have lost their minds."

I told it to use the words "wolverines", "poo-house" and "dumpster". But that is all the instruction I gave to the AI

It came up with the idea of "a poo-house of a dumpster fire" and it came up with the clause "filled with wolverines that have lost their minds"

ChatGPT is creative. It is mindlessly creative, but it is creative. Indeed, that is Hunter S Thompson levels of creativity

• Options
    Leon said:

This is a genius line:

"The website politicalbetting.com is a poo-house of a dumpster fire, filled with wolverines that have lost their minds."

I told it to use the words "wolverines", "poo-house" and "dumpster". But that is all the instruction I gave to the AI

It came up with the idea of "a poo-house of a dumpster fire" and it came up with the clause "filled with wolverines that have lost their minds"

ChatGPT is creative. It is mindlessly creative, but it is creative. Indeed, that is Hunter S Thompson levels of creativity

How much of what appeared in the paragraph was your input? Clearly the names and descriptions.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,143
    Labour leads the Conservatives in ALL policy areas EXCEPT Ukraine.

Which party do voters trust the most on...? (Labour | the Conservatives)

NHS (44% | 17%)
    Education (40% | 19%)
    Manage the economy (36% | 26%)
    Immigration (31% | 23%)
    Ukraine (28% | 29%) https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1601215323226660867/photo/1
  • Options

Interesting thread on how major infrastructure projects in the UK are now slower and more costly than they used to be.

https://twitter.com/sam_dumitriu/status/1594971857643573250?s=46&t=vrKykZbgjhmiVKqA3imNSA

Problem seems to be we have spent the 2010s imposing fiendishly cumbersome but ambiguous planning rules.

Yup, nothing gets build here and any time someone wants to build something there's 17 court cases, 2 judicial reviews and usually 3 changes of government.
  • Options

Leon said:

This is a genius line:

How much of what appeared in the paragraph was your input? Clearly the names and descriptions.
    I confess it was me that came up with "that overwanked ginge, Robert Smithson"
  • Options
    In other news the CMA investigation into petrol prices and the effect of the Asda buyout seems to have had an immediate result of Asda cutting prices immediately. Hopefully it will force the others to all follow suit and we get to 144p within 10-12 days before Xmas.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

This is a genius line:

I confess it was me that came up with "that overwanked ginge, Robert Smithson"
    Well clearly!
This discussion has been closed.