Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Ipsos Scotland poll has the SNP winning 56 of the 57 Scottish seats – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    Trump's record of midterm endorsements.

Won 2; Lost 14.
    https://twitter.com/akarl_smith/status/1592334848840302593
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    edited December 2022

Hancock implies in his resignation letter that the Tories will be out of power for two terms.

Hardly surprising, no party in the last 100 years that lost power came back at the next general election with the new PM with the exception of Wilson's Labour Party in February 1974 (and even then it lost the popular vote)
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Hancock implies in his resignation letter that the Tories will be out of power for two terms.

At minimum, it could be three if the members are anything to go by. They want Boris back to sell Liz Truss policies.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,856

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Suckers, you Scots had your chance in 2014.

But who could have foreseen denying the people their repeated wish for Indyref2 would have electoral consequences?

What electoral consequences? SNP had a majority of Scottish Westminster seats before and might have a slightly bigger majority of them on this poll.

Westminster though can still refuse indyref2 indefinitely post SC judgement
    There’s a morality and democracy angle you miss.

You are the sort of person who would have dehors the suffragettes the vote.

You’re approach guarantees Scotland votes to leave eventually.
    I don't think he cares. The line is always "As long as Boris Johnson is PM there will not be a second referendum". We've had two changes of PM since and even HY recognises the Tories are heading for the political cliff edge. And yet the same anti-democratic guff.

But - and its a big but - Labour are frit as well. Their Brownian package of reforms fails to address any of the big problems - lack of an English parliament, lack of clarity as to the shape of the UK vs the 3 devolved nations and the 4th non-devolved one, remaining married to FPTP etc etc.
    An English parliament would certainly solve the problem of the SNP portraying Westminster as the English rather than UK Parliament
    I don't know how many times I have to point this out but the UK is unlikely to survive an English parliament. So if your concern is preserving the Union, which it doesn't have to be, it's the worst idea imaginable.
    Just as a matter of interest, why do you think that? (Briefly, but I must have missed it.)

I don't think they would accept it anyway - but just wondering.
    It would be far too dominant an entity. Where is there a successful example of devolution to such a majority demographic with a state?
    To some extent Prussia in Germany, until 1918 or so. It didn’t end very well, from memory.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

But who could have foreseen denying the people their repeated wish for Indyref2 would have electoral consequences?

What electoral consequences? SNP had a majority of Scottish Westminster seats before and might have a slightly bigger majority of them on this poll.

I don't think he cares. The line is always "As long as Boris Johnson is PM there will not be a second referendum". We've had two changes of PM since and even HY recognises the Tories are heading for the political cliff edge. And yet the same anti-democratic guff.

But - and its a big but - Labour are frit as well. Their Brownian package of reforms fails to address any of the big problems - lack of an English parliament, lack of clarity as to the shape of the UK vs the 3 devolved nations and the 4th non-devolved one, remaining married to FPTP etc etc.
    An English parliament would certainly solve the problem of the SNP portraying Westminster as the English rather than UK Parliament
    I don't know how many times I have to point this out but the UK is unlikely to survive an English parliament. So if your concern is preserving the Union, which it doesn't have to be, it's the worst idea imaginable.
    Just as a matter of interest, why do you think that? (Briefly, but I must have missed it.)

It would be far too dominant an entity. Where is there a successful example of devolution to such a majority demographic with a state?
    To some extent Prussia in Germany, until 1918 or so. It didn’t end very well, from memory.
    It did for decades, it was WW1 that ended it not devolution to Prussia as such
  • Options
    M45M45 Posts: 216
    Nigelb said:

M45 said:

HYUFD said:

Autocorrect trolling you in French?
    Up yours, dehors ?
    Venez dehors et dites moi ca.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,787

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Thanks - yes, in that perspective, that makes sense. Very much one conclusion from the discussions on PB back in 2013 - would not work, without doing an Anglo-Saxon Heptarchy job - but that latter in itself is problematical in getting it through.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,237
    Wow

"I did an experiment. I used #ChatGPT to see whether I could build a Tudor history reference website in less than a day. https://thetudorsbychatgpt.wordpress.com
    A Tudor history site, with over 70 articles about the #Tudors, all written by a robot, in less than 2 hours total.
    #AI #mindblown"

https://twitter.com/teysko/status/1600495791906476037?s=20&t=nBLjRTcrsbogGU2d2hm7PQ

Check it out. Two hours!

The explosion of accessible information, tailored to your exact needs, will be quite something. It puts many forms of traditional education and information-sharing in jeopardy
  • Options
    DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Probably because it would fuel a feeling that England should put England first. That's the usual argument against an English parliament. Build that feeling up and the Union goes kaput.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Why? Every other Federal nation gives every state or province or region within it its own Parliament too with all electing representatives to the main Federal Parliament.

Given it would probably take devomax for Scotland to vote No in any indyref2 and then only narrowly, the UK government's power outside England would already be significantly reduced anyway outside of foreign and defence policy and some taxes like income tax, so why not give England the same power over its domestic policies as the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish Parliaments have?

At the moment the SNP conflating the UK Parliament with an English Parliament is a big boost for them, however misleading
    Your party passed EVEL to deal with that question. And then scrapped it. Don't ask me why: or is it so you can then complain about it again?
  • Options
    Driver said:

Nigelb said:

I wonder which side of this debate Driver is on ?

Arizona GOP legislator: Danger to democracy in Supreme Court case isn’t theoreticaL
    https://www.politico.com/news/2022/12/07/arizona-legislator-danger-to-democracy-00072580

I can't see how the proposed changes solve any of the problems of the US political system - that said, many of the objections do seem hysterical.

Obviously majority parties shouldn't be drawing electoral maps, but it's a grand old tradition in both red and blue states.
    At its heart, “Moore v. Harper” is about whether or not state legislators have to uphold and defend their own state constitutions

The simple fact is - The explicit, citizen right to vote ONLY exists in state constitutions

Moore v. Harper is about voiding the right to vote

https://twitter.com/LineintheStreet/status/1600298405296848897
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,001

Sunak and Gove should be under investigation. I doubt they are personally culpable, but the scale of ordure demands full transparency.

Interesting that Gove is best buds with Lord Agnew though, who resigned over Sunak's leaky treasury procurement practices.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    If it's an English parliament why does it have so many Scottish nationalist members?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Wow

"I did an experiment. I used #ChatGPT to see whether I could build a Tudor history reference website in less than a day. https://thetudorsbychatgpt.wordpress.com
    A Tudor history site, with over 70 articles about the #Tudors, all written by a robot, in less than 2 hours total.
    #AI #mindblown"

https://twitter.com/teysko/status/1600495791906476037?s=20&t=nBLjRTcrsbogGU2d2hm7PQ

Check it out. Two hours!

The explosion of accessible information, tailored to your exact needs, will be quite something. It puts many forms of traditional education and information-sharing in jeopardy

I am a big fan of ChatGPT and raving about it to friends and family.

But this is a crappy use-case because one of the known weaknesses is it that it doesn’t regurgitate facts all that accurately.

The Tudor history site might be reasonable for a school project or something, but not for a serious scholar or indeed a keen amateur.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    DJ41 said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

I know I'm slightly late with this about Jan 6th but "Four Hours at the Capitol" (Netflix) makes it clear that this was not a coup. It was a bunch of malcontents marching on the seat of power to protest their perceived grievances.

A bit like the Stop the War or Liberty & Livelihood Marches. But with a bit more violence, as is often the case in the US.

Only as it turned out.

The alleged intent, as discussed on the last thread, was the creation of sufficient mayhem for a state of emergency to be declared by the President.

Speculation, of course. But not at all like any of the above mentioned marches.
    Which British cabinet ministers justifiably feared for their lives as a result of those ?
    Yes they were heated. But many were just pushing from the back, others were stoned, others were just on protest tourism. Some were "serious" but there were cries of no violence [against people] resonating throughout the day.

I can guarantee that if they had had murderous intent there would have been murders.

That is of course not to diminish the fear that those locked down inside were feeling at what was happening outside.
    It was insurrection but attempted 'coup' isn't quite right imo. There was no controlling intelligence - such being by definition impossible with anything pertaining to Donald Trump. Whilst the mayhem was raging he was still obsessing about Pence blocking the results certification - something only he and Rudi Guiliani truly believed had a chance of happening. The guy has constructed a fantasy world. He lives exclusively in that and his power comes from the 30m Americans who buy into it. His personal base. He's fully capable of trashing American democracy but not in a way that involves joined up thinking. He'll do it - given the chance - by the capricious sublimation of everything and everybody to his 'impulses', ie just by being himself.
    It would be a mistake to consider him as governed solely by impulse. See how he rates C G Jung's "Memories, Dreams, Reflections" for starters.

Agreed he is insane and dangerous. It's worrying how slow the progress is in the various legal cases against him. Best for those who don't want an explosion of violence would be if he could be removed ASAP. If he isn't, he will soon find some kind of focus I think for the next stage.
    This next year or so is going to be fascinating. He's on the way out but he can - and surely will - do some serious further damage to the GOP as he goes.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Thanks - yes, in that perspective, that makes sense. Very much one conclusion from the discussions on PB back in 2013 - would not work, without doing an Anglo-Saxon Heptarchy job - but that latter in itself is problematical in getting it through.
    In essence, the conflict between English First Minister and UK Prime Minister ends in the defeat of the UK Prime Minister.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Why? Every other Federal nation gives every state or province or region within it its own Parliament too with all electing representatives to the main Federal Parliament.

Given it would probably take devomax for Scotland to vote No in any indyref2 and then only narrowly, the UK government's power outside England would already be significantly reduced anyway outside of foreign and defence policy and some taxes like income tax, so why not give England the same power over its domestic policies as the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish Parliaments have?

At the moment the SNP conflating the UK Parliament with an English Parliament is a big boost for them, however misleading
    Your party passed EVEL to deal with that question. And then scrapped it. Don't ask me why: or is it so you can then complain about it again?
    EVEL doesn't solve the problem as a Labour government could easily repeal it if it needed Scottish and Welsh MPs support to pass English legislation. It also still does not prevent the SNP saying Westminster is the English Parliament if there is no separate English Parliament
  • Options

There is an element of pathos in the observation that Heinrich XIII is trending on Twitter, and Hancock isn't.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It isn't surviving the lack of one.

But in any case, an English parliament isn't - or shouldn't be - about the Union. It's about simple fairness, plus of course, splitting the English government from the UK governmen allows the latter to do co-ordination between the four nations when necessary.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

In essence, the conflict between English First Minister and UK Prime Minister ends in the defeat of the UK Prime Minister.
    No it doesn't, not if the UK Parliament remains sovereign over foreign policy, defence, income tax, immigration etc.

The English FM and English Parliament would otherwise have no more power over English domestic policy than the Scottish FM does over Scottish domestic policy or the Welsh FM over Welsh domestic policy
  • Options
    ChelyabinskChelyabinsk Posts: 488
    edited December 2022

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Went past 1918: it continued to be the dominant state in Germany during the Weimar Republic, as it had been during the empire... It was home to the federal capital Berlin and had 62% of Germany's territory and 61% of its population. Given how long Prussian devolution lasted (1871 - 1932), that it was effectively suspended in 1932 as a result of the actions of the central government not the Prussian one, and that Prussia was abolished in 1947 not because devolution had failed but because Prussia was accused of being "from early days... a bearer of militarism and reaction", I don't think you can take much from it either way.
  • Options
    M45M45 Posts: 216
    DJ41 said:

The reporting in the British media on today's armed coup prevention operation in Germany involving 3000 police and raids on 130 properties has been somewhat unimpressive. One of the searches seems to have been at the barracks of the KSK, Germany's special forces command. (Prosecutors wouldn't confirm or deny this.)

I love the way the BBC say "The Reichsbürger movement is estimated to have as many as 21,000 followers, of whom around 5% are considered to belong to the extreme right." Presumably the other 95% are fairly liberal when it comes down to it, believing in live and let live, feeling that everyone should have their say, and being neutral or even positive about immigration.

They got it from wiki

In April 2018, Germany's domestic intelligence service, the Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution (BfV), estimated that Reichsbürger movement membership had grown by 80% over the previous two years, more than estimated earlier, with a total of 18,000 adherents, of whom 950 were categorized as right-wing extremists.[18]
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No it doesn't, not if the UK Parliament remains sovereign over foreign policy, defence, income tax, immigration etc.

The English FM and English Parliament would otherwise have no more power over English domestic policy than the Scottish FM does over Scottish domestic policy or the Welsh FM over Welsh domestic policy
    That’s factually true but it would not stop conflict. Look at Sturgeon’s Covid antics, or even - if you like - Andy Burnham’s.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

But it *is* the English parliament de facto for a number of functions, such as planning, and so on. You can't have a dual function parliament and complain when it is described as the English one for certain of its functions.
    It is indeed an English parliament in a number of respects. Education is another biggie. But I struggle to see how a devolved English parliament is the answer to this. 5/6 of the the population and the economy of the UK is England. It is most of the country - so the national parliament de facto is the English parliament too. Proper devolution in England would grant more powers to regions - but there's no real appetite for that as far as the standard statistical government regions go (not least because they are arbitrary and lack cultural cohesion, on the whole).

LAs on the other hand are probably too small. So I don't know what the answer is. But I'm pretty sure it's not an English parliament.
  • Options
    Can a musician in Germany please release “They’re Coming To Take Me Away” by Heinrich VIII
  • Options
    Driver said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

But in any case, an English parliament isn't - or shouldn't be - about the Union. It's about simple fairness, plus of course, splitting the English government from the UK governmen allows the latter to do co-ordination between the four nations when necessary.
    People who advocate for an English Parliament haven’t thought about it much.

The way to square the circle is to devolve as much as possible to English counties and metros.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That’s factually true but it would not stop conflict. Look at Sturgeon’s Covid antics, or even - if you like - Andy Burnham’s.
    Sturgeon's Covid antics would have been less effective if there had been an actual English government, with the UK government just co-ordinating between the four nations.
  • Options

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The way to square the circle is to devolve as much as possible to English counties and metros.
    Thus rendering England even closer to political non-existence than it is now? Utterly shortsighted.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Nigelb said:

There is an element of pathos in the observation that Heinrich XIII is trending on Twitter, and Hancock isn't.
    Every twat gets their tweet, as Warhol might have said, and Cameron almost did.
  • Options
    M45 said:

Nigelb said:

M45 said:

HYUFD said:

Autocorrect trolling you in French?
    Up yours, dehors ?
    Venez dehors et dites moi ca.
    Drat.

You can tell I’ve been texting away to a French speaker.
  • Options
    Driver said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Thus rendering England even closer to political non-existence than it is now? Utterly shortsighted.
    By your definition, England has had no political existence since the Act of Union.

Which begs the question, why does it need one?
  • Options
    edited December 2022

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That would be better than now but still would not stop the SNP portraying the UK Parliament as the English Parliament and still denies English identity unlike Scottish and Welsh and NI identity
  • Options
    Driver said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sturgeon's Covid antics would have been less effective if there had been an actual English government, with the UK government just co-ordinating between the four nations.
    You are now pointing to a hypothetical of a hypothetical. That convinces nobody.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    HYUFD said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That would be better than now but still would not stop the SNP portraying the UK Parliament as the English Parliament and still denies English identity unlike Scottish and Welsh and NI identity
    Who is denying English identity?
    As for the SNP, nothing is going to stop them portraying Westminster as anything but am imposition.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Trump's record of midterm endorsements.

Won 2; Lost 14.
    https://twitter.com/akarl_smith/status/1592334848840302593

Another takeaway is the Georgia election changes didn't really have much impact. Seems like some of the hyperbole was hyperbole.
  • Options

Driver said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

By your definition, England has had no political existence since the Act of Union.

Why does Scotland need one?

There's also the realpolitik that people who care about this, though small in number, vote. Perhaps only 1% or 2% of the voting public - but in 2016 they all voted the same way.
  • Options
    Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

There's also the realpolitik that people who care about this, though small in number, vote. Perhaps only 1% or 2% of the voting public - but in 2016 they all voted the same way.
    Scotland wants one.
    Does England?
  • Options

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scotland wants one.
    Does England?
    "want" is not the same thing as "need".
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,237

Leon said:

Wow

#AI #mindblown"

Check it out. Two hours!

I am a big fan of ChatGPT and raving about it to friends and family.

But this is a crappy use-case because one of the known weaknesses is it that it doesn’t regurgitate facts all that accurately.

The Tudor history site might be reasonable for a school project or something, but not for a serious scholar or indeed a keen amateur.
    I checked the blogposts: can't see a single obvious error. I know a fair bit of Tudor history

But that isn't the point. The remarkable point is that she did ALL this in two hours, something that would probably have taken several weeks beforehand: gathering themes for 70 odd short essays on Tudor history, then writing them all down, and putting them online coherently

Several weeks work down to 2 hours? ChatGPT might do to the knowledge and education sectors what the washing machine did to the mangle
  • Options
    Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scotland wants one.
    Does England?
    England neither wants nor needs one.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    TOPPING said:

I know I'm slightly late with this about Jan 6th but "Four Hours at the Capitol" (Netflix) makes it clear that this was not a coup. It was a bunch of malcontents marching on the seat of power to protest their perceived grievances.

A bit like the Stop the War or Liberty & Livelihood Marches. But with a bit more violence, as is often the case in the US.

I think you are playing a dangerous game dismissing what the MAGAs and QAnon's are up to in the US and equating them with a Stop the War demo.

The US has an ex-President still trying to overturn the last election result and stir up sedition, he still has the support of many senior Republicans. There really is no parallel in western Europe.
  • Options
    Apple now declares more of its profits in Ireland than in the US.

Ireland has created some kind of magic money making machine, siphoning massive amounts of tax from global corporates.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,956
    BREAKING

Exc by @KateMaltby @janemerrick23

Matt Hancock's decision to 'quit' came after his constituency party wrote to the chief whip saying they believe their MP is 'not fit to represent this constituency'.

Story @theipaper: https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/matt-hancocks-constituency-ruled-he-was-not-fit-to-represent-them-before-he-stood-down-2014696
  • Options

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scotland wants one.
    Does England?
    You don't think England needs to be treated as an equal partner?
  • Options

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scotland wants one.
    Does England?
    41% of English voters back an English Parliament already, including 52% of Leave voters in England

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44208859
  • Options
    edited December 2022

HYUFD said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

As for the SNP, nothing is going to stop them portraying Westminster as anything but am imposition.
    England has no Parliament of its own, no unique anthem even for most of its sport teams
  • Options
    Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scotland wants one.
    Does England?
    No, because in reality England is knocking on 90% of the population of the Union.

And because “treated”, “equal” and “partner” are all highly loaded, subjective terms.

As explained to you already, creating an English parliament would likely end up dissolving the Union.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    HYUFD said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scotland wants one.
    Does England?
    41% of English voters back an English Parliament already, including 52% of Leave voters in England

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44208859
    So not a majority then.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

But it *is* the English parliament de facto for a number of functions, such as planning, and so on. You can't have a dual function parliament and complain when it is described as the English one for certain of its functions.
    It is indeed an English parliament in a number of respects. Education is another biggie. But I struggle to see how a devolved English parliament is the answer to this. 5/6 of the the population and the economy of the UK is England. It is most of the country - so the national parliament de facto is the English parliament too. Proper devolution in England would grant more powers to regions - but there's no real appetite for that as far as the standard statistical government regions go (not least because they are arbitrary and lack cultural cohesion, on the whole).

LAs on the other hand are probably too small. So I don't know what the answer is. But I'm pretty sure it's not an English parliament.
    Silly idea imo. Not convinced the arguments for it amount to much more than "just not fair, they've got one so we should have one too."

Omitting the bit where you ask yourself WHY they have one.
  • Options

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scotland wants one.
    Does England?
    No, because in reality England is knocking on 90% of the population of the Union.

And because “treated”, “equal” and “partner” are all highly loaded, subjective terms.

As explained to you already, creating an English parliament would likely end up dissolving the Union.
    It was asserted, but not justified. And the unfair asymmetric devolution we have is going to end up dissolving the Union anyway.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

England has no Parliament of its own, no unique anthem even for most of its sport teams
    And?

Does an identity demand a Parliament?
    Interesting line of thought.
  • Options
    Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scotland wants one.
    Does England?

It was asserted, but not justified. And the unfair asymmetric devolution we have is going to end up dissolving the Union anyway.
    it’s asserted and justified by reference to (1) the historical example of Prussia; (2) the complete lack of another extant example equivalent to what would be created should England have its one Parliament.

To the extent that the Union might dissolve, the culprit is not asymmetry.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And?

It's not as if the UK even has an Olympics team, given the way the NI people are dealt with, and the BOA's own insistence of branding it Team GB.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The counties and metros are not too small.
    Or if they are, someone tell Luxembourg, Delaware, Canberra etc etc etc.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And?

Yes, otherwise England does not really exist as a country in the same way the other home nations do
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And?

It's not as if the UK even has an Olympics team, given the way the NI people are dealt with, and the BOA's own insistence of branding it Team GB.
    'Team GB is the Great Britain and Northern Ireland Olympic Team run by the British Olympic Association'
    https://twitter.com/teamgb
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And?

Yes, otherwise England does not really exist as a country in the same way the other home nations do
    Well that’s just a claim you are making.
    According to your own poll, only a minority agree with you.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,632

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think the counties (and county-sized metros) are an ideal size for further devolved government. Similar to Swiss cantons, which work very well.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think the counties (and county-sized metros) are an ideal size for further devolved government. Similar to Swiss cantons, which work very well.
    Exactly. We need to be more Swiss.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906
    I think if we see a handful of polls above 60%, Indyref2 is on. Undeniable momentum at that point.

Until then, this looks like an outlier, especially considering the Labour numbers.
  • Options

TimS said:

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Don't tell my wife that, smug for days whenever she hears that phrase.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,710

I don't think you're wrong about England dominating. I had thought that the problem with the current setup is that it isn't fair on England to have no representation.

I thought a solution might be to have each nation have its own Parliament, with Westminster only being (at most) 200 MPs responsible for foreign affairs, defence and maybe broad overview of some other departments.

But as you say, the issue would come in the first GE when England voted for a Conservative government, but the UK voted Labour. You'd have a UK Labour PM trying to deal with a English Conservative FM (or whatever they'd call themselves). I don't know how that would work at all.

A possible solution I've seen proposed is to have London have its own devolved assembly too, not in England, so there are five (not four) which would weaken England though whether it would weaken England enough, and quite what people living in London would think about being told they could be Londoners or British but not English (at least not politically) I'm not sure (who would they support in the FIFA World Cup?).
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I would happily approve of a different anthem for England. One of either Jerusalem or Vindaloo.
  • Options

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

True I guess. A lot of councillors are shite though; maybe that's what bothers me. "But so are MPs" - fair enough.

I wholeheartedly agree with devolution to metro areas though. This would be popular, sensible and probably quite effective.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

True I guess. A lot of councillors are shite though; maybe that's what bothers me. "But so are MPs" - fair enough.

I wholeheartedly agree with devolution to metro areas though. This would be popular, sensible and probably quite effective.
    Local government hardly attracts talent in part because the stakes are so low.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    Nigelb said:

Sunak doing his best Claude Rains impression.

MICHELLE MONE

Sunak: “Like everyone else I was absolutely shocked to read about the allegations. It’s absolutely right that she is no longer attending the House of Lords and therefore no longer has the Conservative Whip.”

https://mobile.twitter.com/danbloom1/status/1600462541213368320

That doesn’t make sense. If it is right that her company failed to honour its commitments to supply the specified items, appropriate financial redress must be sought. If that's not the case, he has no business slagging her off on the floor of the Commons. What is he actually doing to follow through?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It would deal only with the domestic affairs of England, so it wouldn't have the capacity to dominate anyone else.
  • Options

Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Local government hardly attracts talent in part because the stakes are so low.
    Also true. Plus it doesn't pay, unless you're in it for the corruption (or I think the London Assembly pays its members).
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Metros and counties.

I see no reason why Rutland - to take the most “extreme” case - should not run its own planning, housing, policing, education authority and health commissioning.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283
    edited December 2022

Nigelb said:

MICHELLE MONE

Sunak: “Like everyone else I was absolutely shocked to read about the allegations. It’s absolutely right that she is no longer attending the House of Lords and therefore no longer has the Conservative Whip.”

That doesn’t make sense. If it is right that her company failed to honour its commitments to supply the specified items, appropriate financial redress must be sought. If that's not the case, he has no business slagging her off on the floor of the Commons. What is he actually doing to follow through?
    Follow through? This is government we're talking about!

I am reminded of how shocked Johnson said he was, when he found out about the parties....
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I would happily approve of a different anthem for England. One of either Jerusalem or Vindaloo.
    The Bob the Builder theme has all the right attributes: uplifting and positive, easy to sing / shout at a sports fixture, very clearly English. Grange Hill theme tune (original one, with the sausage) another good one if we were looking for something instrumental.
  • Options

Ireland has created some kind of magic money making machine, siphoning massive amounts of tax from global corporates.

It’s called having low corporation tax. It's not rocket science, despite some Sunak supporting loons trying to portray otherwise.
  • Options

I don't think you're wrong about England dominating. I had thought that the problem with the current setup is that it isn't fair on England to have no representation.

I thought a solution might be to have each nation have its own Parliament, with Westminster only being (at most) 200 MPs responsible for foreign affairs, defence and maybe broad overview of some other departments.

But as you say, the issue would come in the first GE when England voted for a Conservative government, but the UK voted Labour. You'd have a UK Labour PM trying to deal with a English Conservative FM (or whatever they'd call themselves). I don't know how that would work at all.

A possible solution I've seen proposed is to have London have its own devolved assembly too, not in England, so there are five (not four) which would weaken England though whether it would weaken England enough, and quite what people living in London would think about being told they could be Londoners or British but not English (at least not politically) I'm not sure (who would they support in the FIFA World Cup?).
    The lopsided constitutional set up, where the smaller nations have their own parliaments but the dominant nation doesn't, is I think probably the norm where you have these kind of unequal federations. I belive for instance that Tobago has its own parliament but Trinidad doesn't, similarly with Nevis vs St Kitts.
    It certainly complicates things, it would be far easier if England wasn't 90% of the UK's population. I think in practical terms, if there were an English FM and a British PM, the first time the two disagreed fundamentally on a really important issue where the UK PM was on paper the decision maker the UK would break up.
  • Options
    edited December 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And?

41% is a very strong minority for a political position that both major parties are opposed to.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    OllyT said:

Nigelb said:

MICHELLE MONE

This one may come back to bite Sunak. The allegations have been around for over a year, so I can't see how he's suddenly 'absolutely shocked' just because there's now a better evidence trail.

£29m profit, allegedly, lodged in an account whose beneficiaries are the family in the case. Just think about that - £29m profit through using the VIP lane. And the lies (allegedly). It's a huge scandal, it really is.
    I don't think we have heard the end of this one by a long-shot. It has the capacity to become the poster child for sleaze and incompetence in the run up to the next GE. I imagine Gove and a few others are sweating right now.
    Reading wiki it seems she was a wrong'un well before this latest episode.

The Tories certainly know pick 'em!
  • Options
    Driver said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And?

41% is a very strong minority for a political position that both major parties are opposed to.
    It’s also a untested and unexplored proposition.

41% of voters may well want a free Ferrari.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,940
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-63893115

"Border Force staff to strike over Christmas

Border Force staff are going on strike for eight days over Christmas at Heathrow, Gatwick and several other airports, the PCS union has announced."
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Border Force staff are going on strike for eight days over Christmas at Heathrow, Gatwick and several other airports, the PCS union has announced."

Universal surprise that they have actually been at work up to this point.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    HYUFD said:

UK house prices fell 2.3% in November

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63886983

A friend of ours managed to negotiate 15% off a high six-figure sum property in south Devon.

The froth is well and truly blown off.
  • Options
    Driver said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Driver said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And?

If the Tories lose the next general election and Labour gives Holyrood devomax I suspect the Conservatives will switch to back an English Parliament in opposition
  • Options

The lopsided constitutional set up, where the smaller nations have their own parliaments but the dominant nation doesn't, is I think probably the norm where you have these kind of unequal federations. I belive for instance that Tobago has its own parliament but Trinidad doesn't, similarly with Nevis vs St Kitts.
    It certainly complicates things, it would be far easier if England wasn't 90% of the UK's population. I think in practical terms, if there were an English FM and a British PM, the first time the two disagreed fundamentally on a really important issue where the UK PM was on paper the decision maker the UK would break up.
    No it wouldn't because the position would be no different to before in terms of the UK PM's powers for the non English home nations, just England would finally have its own First Minister for the same domestic policy the other home nations do
  • Options

Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Metros and counties.

I see no reason why Rutland - to take the most “extreme” case - should not run its own planning, housing, policing, education authority and health commissioning.
    And corporation tax. Set a national minimum rate of CT (say 20%) and then allow counties to raise local tax over and above this, then reduce their central grant commensurately but allow them to keep locally charged income taxes. Some areas such as West London would probably end up charging another 6 or 7%, but more marginal regions would charge little or no extra.

It's how things work in Switzerland but also how they work in Germany, with trade tax, in the US states and in many other federalised countries including India and China.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

It’s called having low corporation tax. It's not rocket science, despite some Sunak supporting loons trying to portray otherwise.
    Multinationals play games to reduce their tax rates - which is fine because they don't pay much tax here anywhere.

The whole point of increasing corporation tax was to see if it increases incentives for firms to invest in productivity improvements because 10 years of low corporation tax shows that low corporation tax doesn't result in the investment people claims it does, it just results in shareholders seeking to maximise short term profits.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

ohnotnow said:

Universal surprise that they have actually been at work up to this point.
    I've never had a problem with queues at border control - it's everywhere else in the airport that problems occur.

Not going to be a problem for my next journey as it's Teesside. Rolling in at 16:30 for the 17:15 should be more than enough time to get through security.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Only as it turned out.

The alleged intent, as discussed on the last thread, was the creation of sufficient mayhem for a state of emergency to be declared by the President.

Which British cabinet ministers justifiably feared for their lives as a result of those ?
    Yes they were heated. But many were just pushing from the back, others were stoned, others were just on protest tourism. Some were "serious" but there were cries of no violence [against people] resonating throughout the day.

I can guarantee that if they had had murderous intent there would have been murders.

That is of course not to diminish the fear that those locked down inside were feeling at what was happening outside.
    It was insurrection but attempted 'coup' isn't quite right imo. There was no controlling intelligence - such being by definition impossible with anything pertaining to Donald Trump. Whilst the mayhem was raging he was clueless and still obsessing about Pence blocking the results certification - something only he and Rudi Guiliani truly believed had a chance of happening. The guy has constructed a fantasy world. He lives exclusively in that and his power comes from the 30m Americans who buy into it. His personal base. He's fully capable of trashing American democracy but not in a way that involves joined up thinking. He'll do it - given the chance - by the capricious sublimation of everything and everybody to his 'impulses', ie just by being himself.
    Trump's recent statement re: suspending the Constitution would appear to punch a hole in your agrument.

Granted he's a fantasist and self-delusionist, but he's also has zero respect for the rule of law, including his own sworn oath.

He wanted to - and tried to - overthrow the elected government of the United States. Ignorance and disregard for the law and Constitution - spirit AND letter - being zero excuse.
  • Options

No it's called having 0 corporation tax, or I think 0.065% or something ridiculous like that.
  • Options

TimS said:

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And concede 6 to Portugal? Hardly.
  • Options
    edited December 2022

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Only as it turned out.

It was insurrection but attempted 'coup' isn't quite right imo. There was no controlling intelligence - such being by definition impossible with anything pertaining to Donald Trump. Whilst the mayhem was raging he was clueless and still obsessing about Pence blocking the results certification - something only he and Rudi Guiliani truly believed had a chance of happening. The guy has constructed a fantasy world. He lives exclusively in that and his power comes from the 30m Americans who buy into it. His personal base. He's fully capable of trashing American democracy but not in a way that involves joined up thinking. He'll do it - given the chance - by the capricious sublimation of everything and everybody to his 'impulses', ie just by being himself.
    Trump's recent statement re: suspending the Constitution would appear to punch a hole in your agrument.

Granted he's a fantasist and self-delusionist, but he's also has zero respect for the rule of law, including his own sworn oath.

He wanted to - and tried to - overthrow the elected government of the United States. Ignorance and disregard for the law and Constitution - spirit AND letter - being zero excuse.
    He did try to do that, yes. Without a doubt. I'm not arguing otherwise.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

MICHELLE MONE

She publicly denied it was her company, or that she benefitted from it.
    That does not appear to be true.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,956
    Good piece, including: "For 25 years, the Conservatives have been terrorised by populists without and hardliners within. Leader after leader has thrown red meat to their right flank in the hope that one last meal will silence their barking only to be surprised when it doesn’t."
    https://twitter.com/chrisgreybrexit/status/1600520013089234944
    https://twitter.com/robertshrimsley/status/1600518055968350208
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

TimS said:

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I just mean constitutionally and economically.

Very little interesting culture and no comedy ever has come from Switzerland.

Dads was probably a scream of boredom.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

No it wouldn't because the position would be no different to before in terms of the UK PM's powers for the non English home nations, just England would finally have its own First Minister for the same domestic policy the other home nations do
    Supporters of an English Parliament never explain how it would improve the governance of England.
  • Options
    Why hasn’t Michelle Mone had the whip removed?

We questioned govt minister @SteveBarclay over allegations the Tory peer sent threatening emails about PPE contracts to ministers and the CCO of NHS Test and Trace.

https://twitter.com/KayBurley/status/1600402978258788352

The whip was not, of course, removed.
    She retained the Tory whip until she voluntarily left the HoL, at which point it automatically lapsed.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Supporters of an English Parliament never explain how it would improve the governance of England.
    They are intereste in the symmetry rather than the actual instrumental effects of governance.

Forgive spelling mistakes. I am at an optometrist and they have put drops in to “open up my pupils”.
  • Options
    What a shite appointment Lady Mone was.
    By such actions, Cameron’a legacy looks increasingly tarnished.

Whatever happened to that hairdresser of Sam’s that he eNobled?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

TimS said:

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

A quick google turns up an iconic comedy ice skating duo:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frick_and_Frack
  • Options
    edited December 2022

Nigelb said:

MICHELLE MONE

Nothing much, apparently.

Tories in hiding as Commons scrutinises Michelle Mone’s Covid fortunes
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/dec/06/tories-duck-for-cover-as-commons-probes-michelle-mones-covid-fortunes
    ...And while they were about it, Labour also wanted to know how it was that the government hadn’t yet clawed back any of the £203m it had shelled out for some rubbish PPE. Just imagine. You find yourself with hundreds of millions of faulty gowns. Most normal people would try to send them back. Or ask for a refund. Or contact the Citizens Advice Bureau. That’s not the way of the Tories. They have been hoping against hope that hundreds of millions of doctors with no heads turn up. Then they can use the gowns...
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

TimS said:

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

A quick google turns up an iconic comedy ice skating duo:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frick_and_Frack
    Did I type Dads? I meant Dada.

Frock and Frack? Even the name makes them sound feeble. Like Little and Large. On ice. In Swiss German.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

TimS said:

Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Dada was probably a scream of boredom.
    Roger Federer would Tell you otherwise.
  • Options
    Seattle Times ($) - Election denial was roasted by WA voters, but it still brings in the bucks

column by Danny Westneat - Election denialism got roughed up by reality last month.

Candidates fueled by election-theft conspiracies did so poorly in the midterms that there’s been some speculation — some hope — that the vote fraud mania campaign ginned up on the right might finally slink away.

But it hasn’t. It’s just migrated back to its natural habitat: the MAGA fundraising racket.

On the surface, it’s delusional that Republican candidate Joe Kent hasn’t yet accepted his election loss in Southwest Washington’s 3rd Congressional District, and is planning to request a recount.

He lost by 2,629 votes. That may sound close, but it’s far outside of any margin that has been made up by a recount in this state. It’s more than twice the vote margin by which he himself defeated the incumbent, Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler, in the August primary. She didn’t ask for a recount because she knew it was fruitless. And he wasn’t squawking about “transparency” and “irregularities” once he knew he’d prevailed. . . .

What the Joe Kent recount is really about, I suspect, is Joe Kent not wanting to lose cred with this Trump-MAGA ecosystem. It’s the same reason fellow Donald Trump endorsee Loren Culp pointlessly sued over his huge loss in the 2020 governor’s race. And why Trump’s former statewide campaign chairman, Don Benton, has demanded a partial recount of his council race down in Clark County, even though he lost it by nearly 3 percentage points.

Fighting is MAGA. Accepting is RINO.

The MAGA way also happens to make a ton of money. It’s no coincidence that Kent last month established the “Joe Kent Recount Fund.” Because the election is over, he’s able to hit up all his supporters anew: “You may contribute a maximum of $2900 (or $5800 if married), regardless of how much you contributed to the Kent campaign previously.”

Earlier this fall, Bloomberg News studied social media patterns and found that election denialism sparked dramatically more positive engagement from supporters for GOP candidates than any other issue. So while it may be toxic with the mainstream, with the MAGA base it’s the coin of the realm.

“What these data show is that promoting lies about the 2020 election is profitable for both candidates and social media platforms themselves,” the article said. . . .

You can see why the election-denial train keeps chugging along. It has countless enablers. And countless more making bank.

So, sure, recount the votes. It won’t make a whit of difference in the outcome. But unfortunately, even proving the count was solid won’t snap many election doubters back to reality.

The only way to end this con? Stop giving the con artists money.

SSI - Grifters gotta grift.
This discussion has been closed.