Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Trump slips even further in the WH2024 nomination betting – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Have to chuckle at the entitledness of the twerps or tweeps or whatever they call themselves...no fair, no more free lunches....I only earn $250k a year basic and they are taking away my $25 free lunch....

Ivory towers and all that.

What are you talking about?
    Elon has cancelled the free food programme, because he claims they are spending $13 million a year feeding just one office. And the (former) workers are having a hissy fit claiming but it was $25 worth of food, to which he explained because all the remote working, it was actually more like $400 per meal (because the labour cost is fixed).

But regardless of exact costing, how entitled do you sound having a meltdown over your free lunch being taken away when you earn in the top 1% and the economy is on hard times and the company you work for loses money most years.
    It's the taking away that annoys people. If you give people something regularly they come to expect it. You can particularly see this idiocy in bonus schemes, they pay out so regularly and consistenly that people treat them as part of the pay package for merely doing their job adequately. The further up the greasy poll you go the more generous the package and quite often it also requires less effort to get it than at the lower ranks.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Following our debate last night on the alleged superiority of British over American sports, and the ascent of cricket. I made the point that cricket has the potential to be as big as or bigger than the NFL

Just found this in the NYT

“Both men, then, are quite familiar with what a billion-dollar business looks like. The sport where they see the biggest upside these days, though, might be a surprise.

“When we first started looking at cricket, we were by no means experts,” Scheiner said. “But the more we studied it, the more we realized it felt like the N.F.L. did 20 years ago.””

Just as it wouldbe a shame if they titted about with the T20 blast to layer another, pointlessly tweaked and less good version on top of it, it would be a shame if American money came in and titted about with Indian cricket, or indeed cricket in general.
    Cricket is as close to perfect as any sport in the world. The only improvement I could make would be another handful of nations playing it.
    And another thing - look at that photo of cricketers. Smiling cheekily. Not glowering like footballers trying to suggest they're hard in a way which makes you want to wish both teams could lose.
    American money can’t change Indian cricket because the IPL doesn’t need the money. As the whole article (££) makes clear, the IPL is already overflowing with cash, and it will only grow from here. The Americans are trying (and often failing) to get a foothold

The sums are incredible. Billions. In 5 years IPL will probably overtake NFL as the richest sports league in the world. It might one day threaten EPL as the most-watched

This money will, I am sure, attract other nations to play the game. It’s irresistible. Add in south Asian diasporas worldwide…

Cricket’s future is rosy. It just won’t be Test cricket. Which is a shame, but hey Ho
    I like the fact you can usually turn up at Lords on the final day of a test match and get in for about £20. If the long form of the game suddenly became too popular that might change, so in a funny sort of way I don't want it to.
    Even cheaper if it's the last day of a Middx county match. You sit there, Lords almost to yourself, watching things move to a conclusion. It's very enjoyable but at the same time you know the format is dying.
    Do you mean Test cricket or four day county cricket? I think rumours of the death of both are constant and wrong. Yes there is a threat from the shorter form of the game, but the answer isn't to make more shorter form tournaments (thanks ECB). If the ECB wanted exciting cricket on TV they should have insisted the T20 blast was free to air, played on friday nights through the summer. Four day games to start on Sunday and play through. Find a window of two weeks for the 50 over tournament (useful if nothing else than training players for the one day international scene).
    I'm talking about Middx county championship games specifically. The crowds are pitiful in my experience. Test cricket is a different story. Lords is still packed and electric for that.
    County cricket has always been sparsely attended. Partly it's when (often in the week when most are at work). Its the home of retired folk who become members. Nowadays in particular the other forms of the game support the championship, but the championship is hugely valuable. Four day cricket is the closest thing to test matchs and being the real test of a cricketer.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    Leon said:

In the past week the people who've had a very bad week are:

Russia - humiliated into losing Kherson.
    The GOP - Terrible midterms and went backwards in the Senate.
    Trump and his acolytes - His candidates did worse than non-Trump GOP candidates.

Having a good week are:
    Ukraine - Liberating Kherson.
    The Democrats - Best midterms in decades for a party newly holding the Oval Office.
    Ron de Santis - Had a great result against the run of poor results for other GOP candidates. Firm non-Trump frontrunner now for the GOP nomination.

So up come the Putinist trolls and apologists banging on about Hunter Biden's Laptop. Couldn't be more transparent if they tried.

I generally don’t agree with @kamski but I’ve never seen him/her as a “Putin apologist”

But then, you think that anyone who doesn’t want to march on Moscow, violently demolish the Kremlin and install Gareth Southgate as Russian leader is a
    “Putin apologist”

The hunter Biden laptop story is relevant now because the Feds are close to bringing charges against him, after he has been protected for so long

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hunter-biden-tax-gun-purchase-evidence-fbi-us-attorney/
    Not even the Russians deserve Gareth Southgate.
This discussion has been closed.