Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nighthawks is now open

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited January 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nighthawks is now open

If you’re a lurker, No Matter What, you should delurk. You’ll find posting, So Good,  don’t worry, I’m sure you won’t fall into the category of “You Say It Best, When You Say Nothing At All”

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    @Moniker @TSE

I think you have forgotten to account for the election campaign. We are already 75% of the way through the term...
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    At what point do we pretend to have a PB meet up and use it as an intervention for TSE's musical taste and references.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756

@Moniker @TSE

I think you have forgotten to account for the election campaign. We are already 75% of the way through the term...

The election campaign hasn't started yet. Chalk in November.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Good evening, everyone.

Mr. Eagles, with Rorke's Drift and, previously, Mark Antony's birthday are we to be treated to military anniversary links every Nighthawks?

Don't forget what happened on 2 August, if so.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    world's first anime mugger
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    FPT

AveryLP said:

The beer gut doesn't show!

One for the Kippers:

http://t.co/B8UC64Ixlz

Philistine. The liquid lunch is one of this nation's great instiutions, no-one can do it like us. Hang your head in shame.
    Mr Brooke

Liquid lunches and metal bashing shouldn't mix.

Perhaps you should be considering Kiev as an export market. They add fireworks to the mix there.

Live dangerously, Mr. Brooke.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    This comes across not as economic policy, but a self-indulgent wander up Wonk Lane by people with considerable experience in the academic theory of finance and none in its practice.

The economy is still the only story which matters, which means the big stuff. And while our modest poll lead is burning away, we, like Nero, are fiddling.
    http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2014/01/22/labour-needs-to-stop-fiddling-and-get-on-with-the-big-stuff/
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,482
    edited January 2014

Good evening, everyone.

Mr. Eagles, with Rorke's Drift and, previously, Mark Antony's birthday are we to be treated to military anniversary links every Nighthawks?

The Battle of Chaeronea?

Yes, as PB Historian in Chief (as well PB Chief Pop Music Connoisseur) I will be putting in the occasional military history references to educate the masses, as I've not a disturbing lack of classical/military history knowledge by you PBers
  • Options

Good evening, everyone.

Just for the record, tomorrow is tha anniversary of Operation Hannibal
  • Options
    corporeal said:

At what point do we pretend to have a PB meet up and use it as an intervention for TSE's musical taste and references.

I have no idea what you mean.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Wonder if Crick has door-stepped Hancock yet?
  • Options

Good evening, everyone.

Just for the record, tomorrow is tha anniversary of Operation Hannibal
    Alas no nighthawks tomorrow or Friday.
  • Options

@Moniker @TSE

I agree - but both parties will need to float some ideas in late spring too I think
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited January 2014
    FPT @Neil wrote :

"Interesting choice! How do you see Ipswich going? Labour have been doing well in local elections there since 2010."

Too close to call (TCTC) presently. In terms of the "JackW Dozen it equates to within 500 votes.

Each seat will be allocated either HOLD .. GAIN .. or TCTC in all but the final projection which will call as either HOLD or GAIN.

9 more marginal seats to detail - 5 more from England and 2 each from Wales and Scotland. Suggestions welcome.

• Options

@Moniker @TSE

I agree - but both parties will need to float some ideas in late spring too I think
    Well good luck , Balls hasn't chalked in an idea since 2010.
  • Options
    JackW said:

FPT @Neil wrote :

"Interesting choice! How do you see Ipswich going? Labour have been doing well in local elections there since 2010."

Too close to call (TCTC) presently. In terms of the "JackW Dozen it equates to within 500 votes.

Each seat will be allocated either HOLD .. GAIN .. or TCTC in all but the final projection which will call as either HOLD or GAIN.

9 more marginal seats to detail - 5 more from England and 2 each from Wales and Scotland. Suggestions welcome.

Manchester Withington and Somerton & Frome
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I didn't know that.

Chaeronea and Cannae were fought on the same date. There's a surprise.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    @JackW

I'd have it leaning Labour thanks to those strong local election results (but I wouldnt be backing it at evens ;) ).

@TSE

Jack wants interesting seats not foregone conclusions like Manchester Withington!
  • Options

See, I'm educating PBers all the time.
  • Options
    Neil said:

@JackW

I'd have it leaning Labour thanks to those strong local election results (but I wouldnt be backing it at evens ;) ).

@TSE

Jack wants interesting seats not foregone conclusions like Manchester Withington!

5,000 Tory voters there, I wonder if they'd vote tactical for the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,039
    MrJones said:

Wonder if Crick has door-stepped Hancock yet?

There was nothing about it mentioned at the beginning of Channel 4 News this evening.

I'd expect it to be a bigger story: it's about an alleged abuse of power and is fairly salacious - ideal media fodder.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Loughborough would be an interesting one. It has been rather a bellwether seat for some decades, and just the sort of medium sized midlands town that will be the battleground. It has been won by the party that forms the government as far back as I can recall. Nicky Morgan appears to be popular locally so there may be some incumbent advantage and there is a substantial university vote as well as the usual midlands light engineering and market town. A bit close to Broxtowe, perhaps though.
    JackW said:

FPT @Neil wrote :

• Options

Neil said:

@JackW

@TSE

I used to live there and vote yellow, a vote for the blues is a waste.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, to be honest, I don't pay much attention to dates unless they leap out (like Charlemagne's crowning).
  • Options

Towards the end of next month is the 200th anniversary of one of my favourite wartime events - and it is very little known. It did involve a bridge, hence my interest.

Anybody care to guess the skirmish, the reason, and why the bridge was fairly unusual?

It's odd that exactly 200 years ago a massive international war was coming to an end, whilst 100 years ago another was starting.
  • Options

Neil said:

@JackW

@TSE

Neil said:

@JackW

@TSE

If Labour fail to gain Manchester Withington they might as well give up on politics for ever. The Lib Dems have been absolutely pounded here since 2010.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Quatre Bras?

I should stress that's an utter guess, as I'm very ignorant of that period of history.
  • Options

@Moniker @TSE

Labour will stick to Tory spending plans I think, with just a few vaguely populist tweaks that cost little
  • Options

@Moniker @TSE

Labour will stick to Tory spending plans I think, with just a few vaguely populist tweaks that cost little
    So what's the point of Labour ?
  • Options
    @ TSE and @foxinsoxuk

Thanks for those suggestions.

Somerton and Frome a possible. I'm looking for a decent LibDem/Con marginal in the West. Loughborough as you say a wee bit too close to Broxtowe.

In England two northern Con/Lab marginals, a London seat and a Lab/Con marginal in the south look favourites to make the cut.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, to be honest, I don't pay much attention to dates unless they leap out (like Charlemagne's crowning).

I look forward to October the 19th
  • Options
    Neil said:

Neil said:

@JackW

@TSE

Neil said:

@JackW

@TSE

If Labour fail to gain Manchester Withington they might as well give up on politics for ever. The Lib Dems have been absolutely pounded here since 2010.
    I know, but it'll still be interesting, the size of Lab's majority.
  • Options
    Not the Ides of March?
  • Options

Quatre Bras?

I should stress that's an utter guess, as I'm very ignorant of that period of history.

Nope, that was 1815. I'm thinking of February 1814.

As I say, it is little known, but it's perfect if you like your British heroism and French military incompetence taken with a splash of civil engineering. ;-)
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    "Towards the end of next month is the 200th anniversary of one of my favourite wartime events - and it is very little known. It did involve a bridge, hence my interest.

Anybody care to guess the skirmish, the reason, and why the bridge was fairly unusual?"

Towards the end of February a little known military skirmish involving an unusual bridge. Are you sure you are not giving us too many clues there, Mr. Jessop?
  • Options

Quatre Bras?

As I say, it is little known, but it's perfect if you like your British heroism and French military incompetence taken with a splash of civil engineering. ;-)
    Mincio River?

• Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Alanbrooke

'So what's the point of Labour ?'

No cuts and all spending is paid by tax on bankers bonus's
  • Options

Quatre Bras?

Battle of Orthez ? It's all abourt boats and pontoons from memory.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    edited January 2014

"Towards the end of next month is the 200th anniversary of one of my favourite wartime events - and it is very little known. It did involve a bridge, hence my interest.

Anybody care to guess the skirmish, the reason, and why the bridge was fairly unusual?"

Towards the end of February a little known military skirmish involving an unusual bridge. Are you sure you are not giving us too many clues there, Mr. Jessop?

Tail end of napoleonic wars? Something clever to do with Wellington?

Only other thing I can remember around then (terribly British-centric of me I know) would be war of 1812 still kicking on?
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Quatre Bras?

Mincio River?

Not quite civil engineery enough. Or boaty. Or French. And two weeks early.

The word 'skirmish' is vital; the main battle came farcically later.

Mr Llama: no idea. It's something I've known about for years, and therefore is obviously something *everyone* should have on their lips ... ;-)
  • Options
    Hugh said:

@Moniker @TSE

A more sustainable economic recovery that benefits the many and not just the few.

That's how they'll sell it, within the current deficit targets, just making a few tweaks, the energy price freeze shows the trajectory.

I personally believe this Government is appalling in almost every way conceivable, and a Labour Government under Miliband would be a vast improvement. But more importantly, the message is one that might just appeal to the wider electorate, particularly the vital 2010 Lab/ex-Lib coalition.

After the high watermark set of appalling Govt under Gordon Brown, that's some claim.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Jan 22 1945
    Soviet General Konev and his 1st Ukranian Front cross the Oder River at Steinau.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

Quatre Bras?

Mincio River?

Mr Llama: no idea. It's something I've known about for years, and therefore is obviously something *everyone* should have on their lips ... ;-)
    Toulouse.

• Options
    Hugh said:

@Moniker @TSE

A more sustainable economic recovery that benefits the many and not just the few.

That's how they'll sell it, within the current deficit targets, just making a few tweaks, the energy price freeze shows the trajectory.

I personally believe this Government is appalling in almost every way conceivable, and a Labour Government under Miliband would be a vast improvement. But more importantly, the message is one that might just appeal to the wider electorate, particularly the vital 2010 Lab/ex-Lib coalition.

Yeah, that's the theory but its total bollocks, Labour just make poor people relatively poorer.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

At the election, the choice will be between the team that is delivering a recovery beyond all expectations, and the team who said no recovery was possible.

If the economy was powered flight, the choice is between the Wright brothers, and those who said nothing heavier than air could fly.

Which one would you book your holidays with?
  • Options

Neil said:

Neil said:

@JackW

@TSE

Neil said:

@JackW

@TSE

I'm essentially looking for 13 diverse but marginal seats that will determine the election. It certainly won't be an easy task to project them all correctly but if the ARSE manages 12/13 as it did in the US elections then I'll not complain too much !!

Bloody bugger Florida though !!!!!!!!!!

• Options

Quatre Bras?

Battle of Orthez ? It's all abourt boats and pontoons from memory.
    You're getting warmer, although it wasn't at Orthez.
  • Options
    Sun_Politics: YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead jumps back up to eight points: CON 32%, LAB 40%, LD 8%, UKIP 12%
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Adour?
  • Options
    Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics 18s

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead jumps back up to eight points: CON 32%, LAB 40%, LD 8%, UKIP 12%
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Hugh said:

@Moniker @TSE

After the high watermark set of appalling Govt under Gordon Brown, that's some claim.
    Miliband will inherit such a disaster from the Tories in 2015 that I almost feel sorry for him.

Not just the unbalanced economy after all those wasted years, failed policies and missed targets, but the chaos in education, the NHS, policing, the food bank queues, the unreformed still-rampant banking system. Quite a mess Labour will have to clean up.
    guffaw, because Lanour left such a golden legacy in 2010. Can you count ?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Awesome news about Rand Paul, ~ £300 green on him right now, smaller ones on Bush, Rubio, Ryan (£5 @ 30s), neutral on Christie
  • Options
    Hugh said:

@Moniker @TSE

An empty soundbite, bereft of any economic credibility.

If you really believe in it you will be able to let us know the key differences in economic policy and metrics which will differentiate Labour policy from that of the Coalition.

• Options
    Hugh said:

Miliband will inherit such a disaster from the Tories in 2015 that I almost feel sorry for him.

Every Labour government there has ever been has left the economy in tatters. The Tories clean up the mess. Labour ruin it. Again.
  • Options
    Carola said:

Adour?

Yes!

(Gives the lady a cigar)
  • Options
    JackW said:

Neil said:

Neil said:

@JackW

@TSE

Neil said:

@JackW

@TSE

I'm essentially looking for 13 diverse but marginal seats that will determine the election. It certainly won't be an easy task to project them all correctly but if the ARSE manages 12/13 as it did in the US elections then I'll not complain too much !!

Projecting 12 GE seats is going to be a damn sight tougher than projecting the swing states of the US election !
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

Quatre Bras?

Mincio River?

Toulouse.

Well Toulouse was in April, wasn't it and I suppose you could say the Battle of Orthez, as suggested by Mr Brooke, was a prelude to it. So that fits, but Orthez was hardly a skirmish. Wasn't just about the whole of the army of the Peninsula present?
  • Options
    @Hugh

'I personally believe this Government is appalling in almost every way conceivable'

More appalling than getting involved in a pointless war resulting in 500,000 deaths or presiding over the worst economic crash for 60 years?
  • Options
    Carola said:

Adour?

Kudos Carola, though it's probably called Garris.

• Options
    LAB YouGov/Sun poll lead back up to 8%. CON 32% LAB 40% LD 8% UKIP 12%
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Hugh said:

@Moniker @TSE

If you really believe in it you will be able to let us know the key differences in economic policy and metrics which will differentiate Labour policy from that of the Coalition.

"An empty soundbite, bereft of any economic credibility."

I wonder if Hugh's family manufacture wallpaper ?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    FPT @foxinsox

Before you try to claim all the respect for the Nonconformist Protestants, can I point out that - as someone who tends towards the Liberal High Anglican tradition - that I entirely agree with you ;-)
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,309
    United hanging on to an away goal advantage at OT in extra time. Are Sunderland really any better than West Ham? This is really depressing and good evidence of the way things have changed.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

Quatre Bras?

Mincio River?

Toulouse.

Well Toulouse was in April, wasn't it and I suppose you could say the Battle of Orthez, as suggested by Mr Brooke, was a prelude to it. So that fits, but Orthez was hardly a skirmish. Wasn't just about the whole of the army of the Peninsula present?
    I guess that makes me a silly old sausage!

• Options
    DavidL said:

United hanging on to an away goal advantage at OT in extra time. Are Sunderland really any better than West Ham? This is really depressing and good evidence of the way things have changed.

cheer up, Juan Mata is signing for you tomorrow, for £37m
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Hugh said:

@Moniker @TSE

Not just the unbalanced economy after all those wasted years, failed policies and missed targets, but the chaos in education, the NHS, policing, the food bank queues, the unreformed still-rampant banking system. Quite a mess Labour will have to clean up.
    Bed-time.
  • Options
    As Wellington's forces pushed north through France, they were threatened by a series of citadels. One of these was at Bayonne, on the northern bank of the Adour, which was wide, had a high tidal range, and was fast-flowing. The French thought it could not be crossed.

We sailed some Chasse Marree's (crewed by Spanish) upstream and made a pontoon bridge of 26 boats with great difficulty. The French did not hassle the boats coming up river, nor did they attack the initial force that made its way across on rafts. (Naturally, it was much more involved than that).

The consequent siege of Bayonne allowed the battle of Orthez to go ahead. Later, despite knowing Napoleon had abdicated and the war was over, the French commander Thouvenot decided to break the siege "in a fit of spite and frustration."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bayonne

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6f/Pont_de_bateaux_sur_l'Adour_en_aval_de_Bayonne_Bridge_of_Boats_across_the_Adour_below_Bayonne_-_Fonds_Ancely_-_B315556101_A_BATTY_2_165.jpg
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Neil said:

Neil said:

@JackW

@TSE

Neil said:

@JackW

@TSE

Projecting 12 GE seats is going to be a damn sight tougher than projecting the swing states of the US election !
    Actually it's 13 seats and was 13 states and my state projections were within 1.5% in all but two cases including Florida.

Where's the fun in calling Utah for Romney or Witney for Dave ??

• Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead jumps back up to eight points: CON 32%, LAB 40%, LD 8%, UKIP 12%

PB Hodges will never understand why they are still behind in the polls.

**** Humps the goalposts back over his shoulders and wanders on *****
  • Options
    Carola said:

Adour?

Well done, that lady.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

AveryLP said:

Hugh said:

@Moniker @TSE

Is yet another massive tax cut for millionaires still on the Tory agenda, do you know?
    And you respond with an even more inane soundbite.

Let us have some sums not slogans.

• Options
    Hugh said:

AveryLP said:

Hugh said:

@Moniker @TSE

Is yet another massive tax cut for millionaires still on the Tory agenda, do you know?
    You mean the tax rate that is higher than for all but one whole month of the 13 years of Labour government. That tax rate ?!?!

• Options
    Hugh said:

Hugh said:

Hugh said:

@Moniker @TSE

The election ca in November.

guffaw, because Lanour left such a golden legacy in 2010. Can you count ?
    The global financial crisis caused an allmighty mess for the incoming Govt in 2010, and I didn't envy their task, even though they inherited a growing economy that Cameron and Osborne promptly killed.

It's such a shame they learned no lessons, did nothing to fix our fundamental economic problems, and created so many problems of their own, for no apparent reason beyond ideology.

Two words: food banks.

Riiight because there were no food banks prior to 2010 ? I f you want people to have good jobs and to be able to feed their families without state support, then educate them, don't let immigrants outskill them in the job market, don't let generations become benefit dependent and focus on productivity to drive wages up. I know, Labour don't do hard work.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805

Carola said:

Adour?

Yes!

(Gives the lady a cigar)
    My dad had a thing about that.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Quatre Bras?

The battle of Emuckfaw Creek?

Or is that too obscure?
  • Options
    What a mistake by David De Gea

dodgy keeper.
  • Options
    Oh FFS
  • Options
    Oh dear Moyesy !!
  • Options
    OH WOULD YOU BELI(EVE IT (No I wasn't on)
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344

Is there going to come a point when the Tories finally realise that they are not benefiting from economic recovery, mainly because most of the 37-39% simply dislike them and want them out of government?

What they've done in the last 6 months has simply reinforced that - their ineffective flirtation with UKIP values annoys Lab/Lib voters without actually being enough to get the UKIP voters back (we will do some stuff to migrants and benefit-seekers and have some sort of Europe referendum but we won't recommend withdrawal or anything), much as though we made a bid for far left voters by promising to nationalise the biscuit tin industry. Cameron is by no means hated, but his party projects a grumpy image which puts off mlost people without actually winning the really grumpy voters.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,482
    edited January 2014
    Equaliser - Penalties now?
  • Options
    Oh my god
  • Options
    The football got a bit lively there!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Is there going to come a point when the Tories finally realise that they are not benefiting from economic recovery, mainly because most of the 37-39% simply dislike them and want them out of government?

What they've done in the last 6 months has simply reinforced that - their ineffective flirtation with UKIP values annoys Lab/Lib voters without actually being enough to get the UKIP voters back (we will do some stuff to migrants and benefit-seekers and have some sort of Europe referendum but we won't recommend withdrawal or anything), much as though we made a bid for far left voters by promising to nationalise the biscuit tin industry. Cameron is by no means hated, but his party projects a grumpy image which puts off mlost people without actually winning the really grumpy voters.

Not sure I fully agree with you. But Cameron's dismantling of the centrist position that won him power is a mistake. The UKIP die hards are not going to vote for him. But a lot of centrists might have done.
  • Options

Klingon Nick. It's the economy and labour are the wrong side of every argument on it. Don't give up the day job.
  • Options
    @KevanJonesMP: Statement from Portsmouth Liberal Democrats http://t.co/Tfgs4nDBeH via @sharethis local Libdems support Hancock. What will Clegg do now?
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Hilarious viewing.

What a rank ordinary team the scum are nowadays. Genuinely just playing to their ability, and nowhere near anymore. Makes whiskey-face's last season all the more impressive.
  • Options
    De Gea to be the hero in the shootout obviously.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

Hugh said:

@Moniker @TSE

"An empty soundbite, bereft of any economic credibility."

I wonder if Hugh's family manufacture wallpaper ?
    You mean like this?

http://bit.ly/1g1vDEd
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Is there going to be a point when you realize that the election isn't for another 16 months and folk will not fully turn their attention to actually electing the next government until next year .... in the mean time the economy continues to recover at pace ....

Tick tock .... tick tock ....

• Options
    Carola said:

Carola said:

Adour?

Yes!

(Gives the lady a cigar)
    Your dad has exquisite taste.

I first learnt about it from a friend at uni who was in the OTC. He spent most weekends building bridges or blowing things up (so he claimed), and he was fascinated by the way the bridge was built.

I was considering going over there next month for the anniversary (a friend has a holiday home nearby), but life's got in the way.
  • Options
    I think Sunderland will win this. United are Janujaz and Rooney at the moment so only half a team.
  • Options
    @NickPalmer

Is there going to come a point when we get some policies from Labour and in particular how they will pay for their spending plans,other than bankers bonus's which have already been spent at least five times?
  • Options
    Said it before, Danny Welbeck is a poor man's Emile Heskey
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

local Libdems support Hancock. What will Clegg do now?

Expel the entire local party? How can they not get this?
  • Options
    Are both teams England in the penalty shoot out !!

Titters ....
  • Options

Carola said:

Carola said:

Adour?

Your dad has exquisite taste.

I first learnt about it from a friend at uni who was in the OTC. He spent most weekends building bridges or blowing things up (so he claimed), and he was fascinated by the way the bridge was built.

I was considering going over there next month for the anniversary (a friend has a holiday home nearby), but life's got in the way.
    What do you mean life has got in the way ? Just go that's what weekends are for , you won't regret it.
  • Options

Said it before, Danny Welbeck is a poor man's Emile Heskey

Yes not quite got the goal threat but runs a lot.

• Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Phil Jones now - needs to score or this will be the ref's fault
  • Options
    Told you De Gea would be the hero!
This discussion has been closed.