Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The latest Truss exit date betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    From social media.

Chancellor rota for the next seven days.
    Friday: Jeremy Hunt
    Saturday: Sajid Javid
    Sunday: Sam Allardyce
    Monday: Mr Tumble
    Tuesday: Skeletor
    Wednesday: Inspector Gadget
    Thursday: The evil guy at the end of Inspector Gadget with the cat
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,626

Jeremy Hunt is now the de facto prime minister

The new chancellor will be running the show, and Truss will be a sort of ‘PRINO’ – prime minister in name only

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jeremy-hunt-chancellor-liz-truss-new-prime-minister-b2202928.html

Similar to the Cheney-W administration in USA.

EXCEPT that nobody expects the Hunt-Truss "administration" to last 8 years. Eight weeks maybe?
    8 days.
    There was an excellent German TV series called 8 Days a few years ago about a comet about to obliterate the Earth.

That was still positively light-hearted relative to the sense of doom around Truss at the moment.
    Liz Truss is rapidly overtaking Jim Murphy as my all-time favourite politician.
    Liz Truss is making Leicester City's last month look good.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540

I am playing Devil's Advocate a bit here - and fully expect to be shot down , but in reading the very dismissive comments of her news conference - particularly her failure to only take four questions - it does occur to me that until at least the mid- 1950s senior politicians of all parties only appeared in front of newsreel cameras or radio microphones when they had something they wished to say. I do not recall seeing footage or hearing recordings of Churchill - Attlee - Chamberlain - Baldwin - Macdonald - Lloyd George et al being interviewed by any reporters. Would not someone such as Truss - who clearly lacks modern media skills - be advised to revert to the practices of her more distant predecessors?

Given Truss's fondness for Twitter and Instagram, she hasn't thus far shown any reluctance to embrace modern means of communication.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

From social media.

Dr Claw!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,996

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

' Yet over the past 18 months she topped the ConHome surveys on who should be PM.'

That surely tells you more about ConHome than who should be PM.

It is not for nothing that miscreants on this site are sent there as a punishment.

To be fair, I think none of us thought she'd be this bad.

She had a decent record under several Tory PMs going all the way back to Cameron.
    That her weaknesses weren’t revealed during the election process says bad things about either the process or the electorate.

Personally, I suspect the latter: Truss was the darling of the conservative press & the party membership has been reduced (like most UK political parties) to a rump of dedicated obsessives. Neither of these constituencies were really interested in the quality of the candidates, only in whether they were sufficiently commited to a particular ideological line of thought. Truss had a clear message on that front & therefore won easily.

The left shouldn’t crow about this though: Corbyn was only a few years ago after all. Somehow we need to get back to the point where the parties believe that sense in a politician matters as much or more than ideology. Ideological purity without
    sense leads to disaster, regardless of which end of the political spectrum we’re talking about.

Agreed. Good managers are hard to find. A PM who had no distinct ideology but who could manage would be a vast improvement on the clowns, nutters and incompetents who we’ve had to suffer of late.

You seem to be talking about Harold Wilson without necessarily knowing it.

I recall him as being rather dull, and politics back then was relatively dull. It was widely and I think correctly thought that in substance there was little ideological difference between Labour and the Conservatives.

Wilson is rarely viewed as a great PM, although of late history has tended to be kind to him. Kept us out of 'Nam if nothing else.
    Wilson kept us out of Vietnam, as you say, and it was under Wilson that we began our progress to a more modern society with an end to sex discrimination, abolition of capital punishment, and legalisation of homosexuality. Founding the Open University and Radio One were the icing on the cake.
    Wilson also began the process of replacing grammar schools with comprehensives.

The Wilson government shifted us culturally and socially more to the liberal left than any post war government, even if the Attlee government shifted us more left economically
    Largely due to Private Members' Bills though - Capital Punishment - Abortion - Homosexuality.
    All of which needed Labour and Liberal MPs support to pass, most Conservative MPs voted against them
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    dixiedean said:

From social media.

Mr Bean
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,728
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

' Yet over the past 18 months she topped the ConHome surveys on who should be PM.'

It is not for nothing that miscreants on this site are sent there as a punishment.

She had a decent record under several Tory PMs going all the way back to Cameron.
    That her weaknesses weren’t revealed during the election process says bad things about either the process or the electorate.

Personally, I suspect the latter: Truss was the darling of the conservative press & the party membership has been reduced (like most UK political parties) to a rump of dedicated obsessives. Neither of these constituencies were really interested in the quality of the candidates, only in whether they were sufficiently commited to a particular ideological line of thought. Truss had a clear message on that front & therefore won easily.

The left shouldn’t crow about this though: Corbyn was only a few years ago after all. Somehow we need to get back to the point where the parties believe that sense in a politician matters as much or more than ideology. Ideological purity without
    sense leads to disaster, regardless of which end of the political spectrum we’re talking about.

Agreed. Good managers are hard to find. A PM who had no distinct ideology but who could manage would be a vast improvement on the clowns, nutters and incompetents who we’ve had to suffer of late.

I recall him as being rather dull, and politics back then was relatively dull. It was widely and I think correctly thought that in substance there was little ideological difference between Labour and the Conservatives.

Wilson is rarely viewed as a great PM, although of late history has tended to be kind to him. Kept us out of 'Nam if nothing else.
    Wilson kept us out of Vietnam, as you say, and it was under Wilson that we began our progress to a more modern society with an end to sex discrimination, abolition of capital punishment, and legalisation of homosexuality. Founding the Open University and Radio One were the icing on the cake.

The Wilson government shifted us culturally and socially more to the liberal left than any post war government, even if the Attlee government shifted us more left economically
    Largely due to Private Members' Bills though - Capital Punishment - Abortion - Homosexuality.
    All of which needed Labour and Liberal MPs support to pass, most Conservative MPs voted against them
    By their fruit shall ye know them. And the Conservatives were particularly barbaric.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    darkage said:

Trusses speech today was quite astounding.
    She keeps saying that her main aim in politics is to 'go for growth'. But this is essentially a platitude. And her plan for growth has just failed, before it even got started.
    There was no real acknowledgement of the fact she had sacked the chancellor or explanation of the reasons why.
    And then she just fell back on robotic answers in the Q and A session.
    This is all very annoying for people who are looking to politicians for answers about the cost of living problems. I don't think she can go on for very long, even as a zombie prime minister.

Key point there that I was about to make. She regrets him leaving, they are in agreement, old friend... so why sack him?

A human sacrifice to the gods of the free market.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745

Phil said:

I think that's harsh on Wilson - I don't remember him being dull at all. He was as sharp as anything, and had a wry sense of humour. His put-downs of hecklers when he was out campaigning, or giving speeches, was peerless - very witty. Mind you, I was ever so young at the time, so maybe easily impressed.
    Indeed in pure intellectual terms Wilson was almost certainly the brightest PM we have had since World War 2. He had been a very young Economics Don at Oxford. Such people are now much less likely to enter politics at all.
    No, they'll become experts in their field, then spout off on twitter about things they nothing about instead.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Truss is safe is isnt she? I get the sense the Tories are in a state of shock and can’t stomach more crazy.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

I have seen film footage of Attlee stepping off an aircraft to be greeted by a reporter who asked whether he had any comments to make. His reply was 'No'.

Ultra cool but that was then, this is now.
    But can we not dream Ishmael, can we not dream...
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216

Beth Rigby
    @BethRigby
    ·
    2h
    💥A Tory source tells me a substantial amount of letters gone into Sir Graham Brady who is apparently away in Athens but returns on Monday. “Wait till he gets back”
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,996
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

By their fruit shall ye know them. And the Conservatives were particularly barbaric.
    It is hardly surprising a Conservative Party was socially conservative, even if it is a bit more liberal now
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    Stewart Jackson (formally of this Parish) has been elevated to the House Of Lords - Before JohnO!!! How did that happen? :(
  • Options
    Next PM after Liz Truss?

Sunak 2.75
    Starmer 7.2
    Hunt 7.5
    Mordaunt 8.6
    Wallace 13
    The Oaf 15
    Gove 27
    Badenoch 38
    Braverman 41
    Coffey 45
    50 bar
  • Options
    Off topic, certain PBers may be interested to know that over on the Rail Forums site there is a thread discussing "Flange Squeal".
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Truss is safe is isnt she? I get the sense the Tories are in a state of shock and can’t stomach more crazy.

The Tories are in a state of crazy and can’t stomach more shock.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

dixiedean said:

From social media.

Mr Bean
    Vigo The Carpathian, from Ghostbusters II.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    Sebastian Payne
    @SebastianEPayne
    ·
    15m
    One senior Conservative said if “over a hundred” MPs submitted no confidence letters in Truss, Graham Brady would be forced to act.
  • Options

Off topic, certain PBers may be interested to know that over on the Rail Forums site there is a thread discussing "Flange Squeal".

Falange squeal? Isn’t that the death howls of the Young Conservatives?
  • Options

Sebastian Payne
    @SebastianEPayne
    ·
    15m
    One senior Conservative said if “over a hundred” MPs submitted no confidence letters in Truss, Graham Brady would be forced to act.

He'd have to upgrade his filing cabinet? He'd need a bigger shredder? He'd move towards a paperless system?
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796

darkage said:

Trusses speech today was quite astounding.
    She keeps saying that her main aim in politics is to 'go for growth'. But this is essentially a platitude. And her plan for growth has just failed, before it even got started.
    There was no real acknowledgement of the fact she had sacked the chancellor or explanation of the reasons why.
    And then she just fell back on robotic answers in the Q and A session.
    This is all very annoying for people who are looking to politicians for answers about the cost of living problems. I don't think she can go on for very long, even as a zombie prime minister.

Key point there that I was about to make. She regrets him leaving, they are in agreement, old friend... so why sack him?

A human sacrifice to the gods of the free market.
    Yeah exactly.
    We have got to the end of the day with no explanation of why the chancellor needed to be sacked, nor is there any real acceptance on her part that she may have got things wrong.
  • Options

I am playing Devil's Advocate a bit here - and fully expect to be shot down , but in reading the very dismissive comments of her news conference - particularly her failure to only take four questions - it does occur to me that until at least the mid- 1950s senior politicians of all parties only appeared in front of newsreel cameras or radio microphones when they had something they wished to say. I do not recall seeing footage or hearing recordings of Churchill - Attlee - Chamberlain - Baldwin - Macdonald - Lloyd George et al being interviewed by any reporters. Would not someone such as Truss - who clearly lacks modern media skills - be advised to revert to the practices of her more distant predecessors?

We no longer live in the 1950s. To handle the modern media you need modern media skills. Ms Truss clearly lacks such skills.

Not quite so sure about that. I suspect politicians do have a fair bit of control over how they expose themselves to the media. Fashion might be part of it. During his 1964 - 1970 government Wilson quite regularly relied on Ministerial Broadcasts to address the public - whether on Economic issues - Rhodesia etc.That rarely happens now - though it might suit the likes of Truss or other political leaders. We have also moved away from the intensive political interview on programmes like Panorama where Wilson , Heath, Callaghan & Thatcher would appear at least once a year to face the likes of Robin Day or a panel of journalists for 45 mins. That was not confined to election campaigns . Personally i don't think the modern Sunday morning Breakfast interviews subject them to the same pressure.
  • Options

Another thing. I presume cricket fans will remember the summer of 4 captains? Wonder if you could name them? This is the year of 4 chancellors.

My daughter, who was about three when I first started reading this blog and commenting on opinion poll subsamples, has just phoned us tonight to tell us she's on her way to London to celebrate her 6-month anniversary with the first romantic partner she's ever disclosed to us, and she was amazed to learn the relationship was on its fourth Chancellor of the Exchequer already. It took me and my wife nearly twelve years to reach the same landmark.
    Glad Scottish subsamples played a roll in benchmarking her development.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610

Another thing. I presume cricket fans will remember the summer of 4 captains? Wonder if you could name them? This is the year of 4 chancellors.

Before I started watching cricket but I think it was Gooch, Cowdrey, Embury — can't remember the other one. Gower maybe.
  • Options

Phil said:

I think that's harsh on Wilson - I don't remember him being dull at all. He was as sharp as anything, and had a wry sense of humour. His put-downs of hecklers when he was out campaigning, or giving speeches, was peerless - very witty. Mind you, I was ever so young at the time, so maybe easily impressed.
    I was thinking of the politics at least as much as the man. Politics was very much a contest for the centre ground then.

Bit different now.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Stewart Jackson (formally of this Parish) has been elevated to the House Of Lords - Before JohnO!!! How did that happen? :(

House of Unelected Has-Beens :lol:
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    boulay said:

If we are going back to the 1950’s Liz would have been doing the ironing before the kids came home from school and she cooked up some bread and dripping (I assume you cook that) so, no.
    You didn't. Just spread it on sliced bread.

(of course, you could make fried bread but that wouldn't be 'bread and dripping'. Plus it could be dipped in a little beaten egg and sugar before frying for a poor man's omelette as a luxury.)
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Before I started watching cricket but I think it was Gooch, Cowdrey, Embury — can't remember the other one. Gower maybe.
    Mike Gatting? Was that when he got sacked for a dalliance with a waitress?
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

House of Unelected Has-Beens :lol:
    Elevated, though. You can't say the has-beens are unelevated.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,747
    edited October 2022

Andy_JS said:

That was the summer when Chris Cowdrey was briefly England captain and was subsequently overlooked by the selectors without telling him.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,926
    Carnyx said:

boulay said:

If we are going back to the 1950’s Liz would have been doing the ironing before the kids came home from school and she cooked up some bread and dripping (I assume you cook that) so, no.

(of course, you could make fried bread but that wouldn't be 'bread and dripping'. Plus it could be dipped in a little beaten egg and sugar before frying for a poor man's
    omelette as a luxury.)
    Sounds like a plan for absolutely filthy eggy bread. I might try it tomorrow if I don’t post again then you know why.

• Options
    BarneyBarney Posts: 20

Andy_JS said:

That was the summer when Chris Cowdrey was briefly England captain and was subsequently overlooked by the selectors without telling him.
    Didn’t Derek Pringle get a go that summer,too?
  • Options

What happens with the Daily Mail and its 'At last! A True Tory Budget.' That must all now feel a tad embarrassing.

If backing the Nazi Party didn’t cause them to die of embarrassment, nothing will.
    Not to mention their logic of allocating the second most important story of the present time to the astounding concept of a woman's dresser becoming redundant on the replacement of the personage in question by a man.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited October 2022
    25yr Gilt yields;

10.45am 4.35%
    4pm 4.88%

Astonishing volatility in, what ordinarily would be one of the worlds most stable investments.

Monday. Wait until Monday.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288
    edited October 2022

Have they discussed the reliability (or lack thereof) of the Clitheroe to Hellifield service (Sunday only)?
  • Options
    boulay said:

Carnyx said:

boulay said:

(of course, you could make fried bread but that wouldn't be 'bread and dripping'. Plus it could be dipped in a little beaten egg and sugar before frying for a poor man's
    omelette as a luxury.)
    Sounds like a plan for absolutely filthy eggy bread. I might try it tomorrow if I don’t post again then you know why.

Might be a matter of adding the sugar - or jam - *after* frying on reflection.

• Options
    "'It's going to be suicide for the Tories if we change PM', says Christopher Chope MP"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-63221738
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232
    Barney said:

Andy_JS said:

Gooch was injured in the final innings of the series, so Pringle was put in charge on the field. Not otherwise.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"'It's going to be suicide for the Tories if we change PM', says Christopher Chope MP"

Nothing like skirting around the realities of the situation.
  • Options

Have they discussed the reliability (or lack thereof) of the Clitheroe to Hellifield service (Sunday only)?
    I suggest that you start a thread!

Actually, there is a thread discussing Northern unreliability, so it might be mentioned there...
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,944
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,988

Farage Squeal this afternoon. Flange Squeal this evening. We’re being spoiled today!
  • Options

What happens with the Daily Mail and its 'At last! A True Tory Budget.' That must all now feel a tad embarrassing.

If backing the Nazi Party didn’t cause them to die of embarrassment, nothing will.
    It's always struck me as rather weird that the Daily Mail continues to be lambasted for supporting Mosley, when the Daily Mirror did so far more actively for far longer and yet that almost never gets mentioned.
  • Options

Farage Squeal this afternoon. Flange Squeal this evening. We’re being spoiled today!
    Can't see the point of that thread.
  • Options

I might do a thread on AV this weekend.

Excellent. I will be discussing it at our next Labour branch meeting. Together with other voting systems. I'm expecting a bumper attendance.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

You're not gauging the matter properly.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

do you honestly think they need a platform for their views?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

It's always struck me as rather weird that the Daily Mail continues to be lambasted for supporting Mosley, when the Daily Mirror did so far more actively for far longer and yet that almost never gets mentioned.
    The Mirror was owned by the Daily Mail at the time, iirc.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

The Mirror was owned by the Daily Mail at the time, iirc.
    They were both owned by Rothermere, but they were separate companies. Rothermere bought the Mirror off his brother, and inherited the Mail when Northcliffe died.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Stop this virtue signalling.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Oh yes, it would have been Gatting. 1988 versus the West Indies.
  • Options
    Has anyone ever used papaya as an ingredient in anything other than a fruit salad?

I've just learnt that it's used in loads of Indian cuisine as a meat tenderiser. So I made a big plate of lamb galouti.

I've just eaten eight of them, and I think the rest will make good postie snacks

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926

Sebastian Payne
    @SebastianEPayne
    ·
    15m

He'd have to upgrade his filing cabinet? He'd need a bigger shredder? He'd move towards a paperless system?
    Sir Graham is a stickler for the rules, all those letters are invalid till a year's time.
  • Options
    BarneyBarney Posts: 20
    ping said:

25yr Gilt yields;

10.45am 4.35%
    4pm 4.88%

Astonishing volatility in, what ordinarily would be one of the worlds most stable investments.

ping said:

25yr Gilt yields;

10.45am 4.35%
    4pm 4.88%

5 year rates - inherently less volatile - up by almost 40bp since 5pm. She’s gonna blow, captain.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

On the other hand, hasn't the Mirror repented?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

Nothing like skirting around the realities of the situation.
    I am sure that things are looking up for him.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Andy_JS said:

And suicide if you don't. All Chope abandon ye who enter here.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sebastian Payne
    @SebastianEPayne
    ·
    15m

Sir Graham is a stickler for the rules, all those letters are invalid till a year's time.
    He wasn't a stickler for the rules in May 2019 when Mrs May was in her one year safe zone.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Andy_JS said:

And suicide if you don't. All Chope abandon ye who enter here.
    That's Numberwang...I mean, Zugzwang!
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

The average intelligence of the House of Lords has just changed a lot.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Barney said:

Andy_JS said:

Gooch was injured in the final innings of the series, so Pringle was put in charge on the field. Not otherwise.
    So who is the Tory Chris Cowdrey?

Only got the job because his godfather was in a very influential role?

I despise Cowdrey and all the twats that went on the second rebel tour.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,810
    Chope is a moron and needs to STFU.

• Options
    edited October 2022

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Stop this virtue signalling.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Scott_xP said:

A deft change of tune...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,432
    edited October 2022
    Kwasi Kwarteng believes that Liz Truss has bought herself just “a few weeks” by sacking him and reversing her budget because the “wagons are circling” on the end of her premiership....

...Even inside Downing Street senior officials believe it is a matter of time before she is forced out of office. “Senior civil servants are now openly talking about her going,” one Whitehall source said. “They think she’s had it.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/kwasi-kwarteng-thinks-liz-truss-will-be-gone-within-weeks-mbb6qbhlv
  • Options

Has anyone ever used papaya as an ingredient in anything other than a fruit salad?

I've just learnt that it's used in loads of Indian cuisine as a meat tenderiser. So I made a big plate of lamb galouti.

I've just eaten eight of them, and I think the rest will make good postie snacks

It's extensively used in Taiwanese cookery. It grows wild. Stir fries. Papaya and chicken's feet is a particular delicacy.
    I can't abide it at all.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

On the other hand, hasn't the Mirror repented?
    they supported Corbyn.

I'd say the jury is out on that.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926

Kwasi Kwarteng believes that Liz Truss has bought herself just “a few weeks” by sacking him and reversing her budget because the “wagons are circling” on the end of her premiership.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/kwasi-kwarteng-thinks-liz-truss-will-be-gone-within-weeks-mbb6qbhlv

Hmm not what he wrote in his letter.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    nico679 said:

Chope is a moron and needs to STFU.

An all purpose post for use on any occasion over almost four decades.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Here is the list:-

Nominations from the former Leader of the Conservative and Unionist Party
    Angie Bray – Formerly Member of Parliament for Ealing Central and Acton, and leader of the Conservative Group in the London Assembly.
    Graham Evans – Formerly Member of Parliament for Weaver Vale.
    Sir Michael Hintze – Businessman, founder of the Hintze Family Charitable Foundation; Trustee of the National Gallery.
    Stewart Jackson – Formerly Member of Parliament for Peterborough, and Special Adviser at the Department for Exiting the European Union.
    Kate Lampard CBE – Chair of GambleAware; Lead Non-Executive Director of the Department for Health and Social Care.
    Dr Sheila Lawlor – Founder and Director of Research at Politeia.
    Dr Ruth Lea CBE - Economist, former civil servant and think tank director.
    Dr Dambisa Moyo – economist and author; formerly Commissioner for the Commission on Race and Ethnic Disparities.
    Teresa O’Neill OBE - Leader of the Council in the London Borough of Bexley; Vice Chair on London Councils; Deputy Chair of the Local Government Association.
    Professor Andrew Roberts – historian and journalist; Founder-President of the Cliveden Literary Festival.
    Dr Cleveland Anthony Sewell CBE – formerly Chair of the Commission on Race and Ethnic Disparities; Chair of Generating Genius.
    Rt Hon Sir Nicholas Soames – formerly Member of Parliament for Mid Sussex, and Minister of State for the Armed Forces.
    Sir Hugo Swire – formerly Member of Parliament for East Devon, and Minister of State at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

Nominations from the Leader of the Labour Party
    Sonny Leong CBE – Co-Founder and Co-Chair of SME4Labour.
    Frances O’Grady – General Secretary of the Trades Union Congress of the UK.
    David Prentis – President of Public Services International and formerly Secretary General of Unison.
    Kuldip Singh Sahota – Labour Councillor for Malinslee & Dawley Bank.
    Ruth Smeeth – Formerly Member of Parliament for Stoke-on-Trent North.
    Sharon Taylor OBE – Labour Leader of Stevenage Borough Council.
    Dr Fiona Twycross – Deputy Mayor of London for Fire and Resilience.
    Thomas Watson – formerly Deputy Leader of the Labour Party.

Nominations from the Leader of the Democratic Unionist Party
    Peter Weir – formerly Minister for Education in the Northern Ireland Executive.

Nominations for non-affiliated Peerages
    Dame Arlene Foster – formerly First Minister of Northern Ireland.
    Professor Guglielmo Verdirame QC - barrister and Professor of International Law at King’s College London.

Nominations for Crossbench Peerages
    Sir Peter Hendy – Chair of Network Rail.
    Air Chief Marshall Sir Stuart Peach – Prime Minister’s Special Envoy to the Western Balkans and formerly Chief of Defence Staff.
    The Prime Minister recommended this list to the King, further to advice from the former Prime Minister, Rt Hon Boris Johnson MP.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/political-peerages-2022
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Kwasi Kwarteng believes that Liz Truss has bought herself just “a few weeks” by sacking him and reversing her budget because the “wagons are circling” on the end of her premiership.

Hmm not what he wrote in his letter.
    I've already decided what I'm going to spend my Truss out before conference 2023 bet winnings.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,810
    Hunt might steady the ship but the captain remains Truss .

Labour have got the messaging right , even if mortgage rates were going up anyway the Truss Kwarteng budget will be blamed. That’s a lot of very angry people who won’t forgive or forget .

• Options

Wine tip: if you like the Wine Soc Pinot Noir you will love Morrison's Chilean single vineyard PN at a tenner a bottle but 7.50 if you buy 4.
  • Options
    ping said:

25yr Gilt yields;

10.45am 4.35%
    4pm 4.88%

Come, friendly bombs and fall on Slough
    To get it ready for the plough.
    The cabbages are coming now;
    The earth exhales.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Sebastian Payne
    @SebastianEPayne
    ·
    15m

He wasn't a stickler for the rules in May 2019 when Mrs May was in her one year safe zone.
    Indeed - if the pressure mounts the 1922 Committee will simply change the rules.
  • Options
    In fact, the sacking was even more brutal than it appeared. Truss decided to dismiss Kwarteng hours earlier, contacting his successor, Jeremy Hunt, at 9.30am to offer him the job while he was on holiday with his wife in Belgium.

Hunt asked for a moment to think about it before calling back and accepting. Truss said she wanted their relationship to be similar to that of David Cameron and George Osborne, based on trust and mutual respect. Hunt said that was the only way it could work.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/kwasi-kwarteng-flew-back-to-uk-not-realising-he-was-sacked-vpcd5h9wb
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Wine tip: if you like the Wine Soc Pinot Noir you will love Morrison's Chilean single vineyard PN at a tenner a bottle but 7.50 if you buy 4.
    Cheers for the tip! Just moved close to a Morrison's. Will be sampling.
  • Options

In fact, the sacking was even more brutal than it appeared. Truss decided to dismiss Kwarteng hours earlier, contacting his successor, Jeremy Hunt, at 9.30am to offer him the job while he was on holiday with his wife in Belgium.

Hunt asked for a moment to think about it before calling back and accepting. Truss said she wanted their relationship to be similar to that of David Cameron and George Osborne, based on trust and mutual respect. Hunt said that was the only way it could work.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/kwasi-kwarteng-flew-back-to-uk-not-realising-he-was-sacked-vpcd5h9wb

Who the fuck goes on holiday to Belgium?
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,191
    LPM call:

Liz out next week

DYOR
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847

Whose interest is this to have leaked this tiny detail?
  • Options

Posh squillionaires holiday in Belgium, not trapped in a plane with Leon and screaming babies for hours on end.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    Liz was appallingly wooden in that press conference, but I would have thought the markets should be satisfied now.

They they’re not is a bit disturbing.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Shame I haven't got a Morrison's anywhere nearby. I'll try to remember next time I see one
  • Options

Liz was appallingly wooden in that press conference, but I would have thought the markets should be satisfied now.

Some Conservatives found humour in today’s crisis too. One said that Truss’s press conference was “so wooden” that “getting rid of her wouldn’t be regicide, it would be deforestation”.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,886
    edited October 2022

Either they aren't behaving rationally, or this mess is only marginally to do with the mini budget.

What do they know about that we don't?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,119
    Roger said:

Scott_xP said:

A deft change of tune...
    If she's lost The Mail.....

...there is no-one left.
  • Options
    Very striking tonight the number of Conservative members calling the show saying they feel the party has been hi-jacked. Party split in every direction.
    https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1580997238037237760
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Who the fuck goes on holiday to Belgium?
    I went on a motorcycle tour of Belgium with my brother. We only had 125's so didn't want to go too far. We stopped at all the battlefields, as a bit of a theme. We finished appropriately at Dunkirk.

South of the Meuse is lovely rolling countryside, North is a bit flat, but interesting towns.
  • Options
    From a betting perspective - I still don't see it (where by it I mean 2022 exit).

Should she go? Yes.

But how? The only plausible way (to my mind) is a general election.

It may happen. May be the right thing to do. Equally the tories *may* manage to coalesce around a single candidate now. Who would that be then? Penny? Rishi? I don't see either. I'd love it to be Kemi but it would never be her in these circumstances.

Better than evens chance one of the above, or any other situation in which Lizzy is out by December occurs? That feels wrong. I think market should be around 4 at this point.

I'm not especially articulate or well connected particularly compared to many of the posters here... but I have an excellent political betting record. You can lay 1.8 for a 2022 exit as conservative leader on Betfair atm and I strongly recommend that you do.
  • Options
    Short of asking Philip Schofield and Holly Willoughby publicly to join her government, I'm not sure how worse today could have gone for Prime Minister in name only - Liz Truss.
    https://twitter.com/elrick1/status/1580941670534631424
  • Options
    Quite a day for Hunt. Gone from being a has been with a disastrous recent leadership campaign, to the most powerful guy in government.
    Completely out of the blue, too.
  • Options

From a betting perspective - I still don't see it (where by it I mean 2022 exit).

Should she go? Yes.

But how? The only plausible way (to my mind) is a general election.

It may happen. May be the right thing to do. Equally the tories *may* manage to coalesce around a single candidate now. Who would that be then? Penny? Rishi? I don't see either. I'd love it to be Kemi but it would never be her in these circumstances.

Better than evens chance one of the above, or any other situation in which Lizzy is out by December occurs? That feels wrong. I think market should be around 4 at this point.

I'm not especially articulate or well connected particularly compared to many of the posters here... but I have an excellent political betting record. You can lay 1.8 for a 2022 exit as conservative leader on Betfair atm and I strongly recommend that you do.

I got on Truss exit in 2022 at 16, am nicely green now.
  • Options

I might do a thread on AV this weekend.

Adult Videos??
This discussion has been closed.