Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Nighthawks is now open

2»

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,026
    kle4 said:

Is there any hope for someone other than UKIP coming second in this upcoming by-election? I hate these by-elections with almost no chance of the seat changing hands.

Conservatives could come second...
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    kle4 said:

Tim_B said:

kle4 said:

Carola said:

Good evening, everyone.

Sherlock's pretty good, but this series was the weakest so far by some distance. If I were writing it I'd kill the wife off sharpish.

I agree. It's Scrappy-Doo all over again. Or that screeching woman/the squeaky kid combo in 'Temple of Doom'.
    Spielberg married that actress, and they remain together to this day apparently. I think that explains part of why nothing was done to improve that aspect of the movie.

Easily the weakest Indiana Jones movie. Yes I am including Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I didn't mind the kid when I was a kid, which I guess is the point, but when have precocious kids ever helped a movie? It was part of what made Iron Man 3 so bad.
    Old Yeller?
    Point.
    Kate Capshaw's portrayal of Willie Scott is hardly one of the heights of the cinematic art, but is it any worse than Dick van Dyke's cockney accent in Mary Poppins?
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited January 2014
    Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

if you've called out someone at the top to face you, of course you stand your ground and refuse to debate anyone else until that happens

Except Cameron isn't at the top of anything as defined by Salmond.

Salmond demanded that the debate be between Scots, in Scotland.

Cameron isn't on that list, never mind at the top.

Cameron also isn't the top of lots of other things too. A Cybernat elsewhere tried to claim he was head of the UK. That's the Queen. So he tried head of the UK Government. That's the Queen.

Cameron is the leader of the largest party in a Parliament Salmond shunned. He is perfectly entitled, by the rules Eck set himself, to tell Salmond where he can stick his debate
    On some interpretations. But (as the LDs show) sticking by the rules is not always the politic thing. The fact is that Mr C is showing himself frightened, and that a recent poll showed a majority in the UK wanted him to come out fighting.

You surely don't expect comical scottish tory surgers to be in touch with either scottish public opinion or the facts?

The PB tories are always wrong. The PB tories never learn.

LOL

:)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    edited January 2014
    Tim_B said:

kle4 said:

Tim_B said:

kle4 said:

Carola said:

Good evening, everyone.

Sherlock's pretty good, but this series was the weakest so far by some distance. If I were writing it I'd kill the wife off sharpish.

I agree. It's Scrappy-Doo all over again. Or that screeching woman/the squeaky kid combo in 'Temple of Doom'.
    Spielberg married that actress, and they remain together to this day apparently. I think that explains part of why nothing was done to improve that aspect of the movie.

Easily the weakest Indiana Jones movie. Yes I am including Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I didn't mind the kid when I was a kid, which I guess is the point, but when have precocious kids ever helped a movie? It was part of what made Iron Man 3 so bad.
    Old Yeller?
    Point.
    Kate Capshaw's portrayal of Willie Scott is hardly one of the heights of the cinematic art, but is it any worse than Dick van Dyke's cockney accent in Mary Poppins?
    Oh no, nowhere near as bad. It's just irritating, which combined with Shotround being irritating, makes the movie so bad. Dial both those two down a notch and it's fun enough.
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Is there any hope for someone other than UKIP coming second in this upcoming by-election? I hate these by-elections with almost no chance of the seat changing hands.

Seriously?

• Options
    Is Nick Clegg’s angry wife Miriam behind his battle with Lord Rennard?

Miriam Clegg was left 'furious' by Lord Rennard's failure to apologise to his alleged victims and influenced her husband's decision confront the peer

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/nick-clegg/10588443/Is-Nick-Cleggs-angry-wife-Miriam-behind-his-battle-with-Lord-Rennard.html
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

New Quinnipiac poll shows shift in GOP race

•Paul Ryan 13% {9%} [10%] (17%)
    •Rand Paul 13% {14%} [17%] (15%)
    •Chris Christie 12% {17%} [13%] (14%)
    •Jeb Bush 11% {11%} [11%] (10%)
    •Ted Cruz 9% {13%} [10%]
    •Marco Rubio 8% {7%} [12%] (19%)
    •Scott Walker 6% {5%} [4%] (2%)
    •Bobby Jindal 3% {3%} [3%] (3%)
    •John Kasich 2% {2%}
    •Don’t know 22% {17%} [19%] (18%)

While Rasmussen suggests the Dems could take the House

•Democrats 41% 41% 40% 40% (39%) 40% (38%) (38%) (41%) (39%) (41%) (43%) (43%) (43%) (45%) (42%) (40%)
    •Republicans 35% 37% 38% 40% (42%) 40% (43%) (43%) (40%) (40%) (39%) (37%) (37%) (36%) (38%) (38%) (37%)

Is Ryan going to be in the race ?

He's my second biggest green after Rand Paul.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Tim_B said:

kle4 said:

Tim_B said:

kle4 said:

Carola said:

Good evening, everyone.

Old Yeller?
    Point.
    Oh no, nowhere near as bad. It's just irritating, which combined with Shotround being irritating, makes the movie so bad. Dial both those two down a notch and it's fun enough.
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Seriously?

Just a feeling in the waters !

Might be completely wrong though.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,192
    Off-topic:

When most of us split up with our boyfriends / girlfriends, we only have to sort out the CD collections. "You gave me the Jedward Best Of album for my birthday!"; "Yes, but I bought it!"

For the mega-rich, it's their supercars:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25831455

"You bought me the Lamborghini Aventador for my birthday!"; "Yes, but it was my money!"

Even better: the Lamborghini was later sold to pay for the Bentley he had bought her ...

First World Problems.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,064
    Mick_Pork said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

if you've called out someone at the top to face you, of course you stand your ground and refuse to debate anyone else until that happens

Except Cameron isn't at the top of anything as defined by Salmond.

Salmond demanded that the debate be between Scots, in Scotland.

Cameron isn't on that list, never mind at the top.

Cameron also isn't the top of lots of other things too. A Cybernat elsewhere tried to claim he was head of the UK. That's the Queen. So he tried head of the UK Government. That's the Queen.

Cameron is the leader of the largest party in a Parliament Salmond shunned. He is perfectly entitled, by the rules Eck set himself, to tell Salmond where he can stick his debate
    On some interpretations. But (as the LDs show) sticking by the rules is not always the politic thing. The fact is that Mr C is showing himself frightened, and that a recent poll showed a majority in the UK wanted him to come out fighting.

You surely don't expect comical scottish tory surgers to be in touch with either scottish public opinion or the facts?

The PB tories are always wrong. The PB tories never learn.

LOL

:)
    I'm too polite ... and remember it is not just Scottish public opinion either!

• Options
    edited January 2014
    kle4 said:

Tim_B said:

kle4 said:

Tim_B said:

kle4 said:

Carola said:

Good evening, everyone.

Old Yeller?
    Point.
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Seriously?

I'm not a big fan of the Star Wars prequels to be honest.

I'm currently dragging my way through the Star Trek movies, and for a purely dreadfully awful movie, even without a screaming woman or precocious kid, "Star Trek - The Motion Picture" takes some beating.

The fact it was directed by the director of "The Sound Of Music" says something, but what it is I've no idea :-)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087

Off-topic:

When most of us split up with our boyfriends / girlfriends, we only have to sort out the CD collections. "You gave me the Jedward Best Of album for my birthday!"; "Yes, but I bought it!"

"You bought me the Lamborghini Aventador for my birthday!"; "Yes, but it was my money!"

Even better: the Lamborghini was later sold to pay for the Bentley he had bought her ...

First World Problems.

Even better, it was a birthday present in 2012, but they broke up by July of 2012. Maybe should have gone for a less extravagant gift.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,043
    A bit of betting to lighten the mood?

W&SE vote %
    Under over 5/6

Lab 45.5
    Ukip 26.5
    Con 12.5
    LD 9.5

Come on, no bet too small, some may be too big!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    UKIP may well make progress but get third place. These are city dwelling Manc Tories, not retired East coasters. William Hill has only got first place odds up at present, and not much to tempt me there. Tories coming second may well tempt me in Wythenshaw, LDs less so.
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

• Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    RodCrosby said:

I'm sitting in a bar in Bratislava, so can't post much.

I've seen this type of witch-hunt at first hand, and it isn't pretty. People lose their minds over it and become infected with malice. Court orders even can mean nothing to them. It becomes a personal war. At some point some may even think the only way to cure the cancer is to actively work covertly or overtly for the organization's destruction. At a minimum the wounds will never heal.

Yeah, I think you might have mentioned that a few dozen times already. Are you sure your feelings on Rennard aren't being unduly coloured by your experience?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Pulpstar said:

If only Seth O Logue's chum and fellow Romney enthusiast stuarttruth was still here to read the runes. ;)

Meanwhile Christie is fast emulating a Romneyshambles with the laughter becoming very loud indeed.
    Here is how the embattled politician can weather these crises and reemerge as a viable Republican presidential candidate in 2016:

MODERATED - PLEASE DON'T COPY AND PASTE WHOLE ARTICLES OR A MAJORITY THEREIN FROM OTHER SITES

http://www.theonion.com/articles/how-chris-christie-can-survive-political-scandal,35004/
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Off-topic:

First World Problems.

Even better, it was a birthday present in 2012, but they broke up by July of 2012. Maybe should have gone for a less extravagant gift.
    - a 1975 Vauxhall Viva?
  • Options
    edited January 2014

UKIP may well make progress but get third place. These are city dwelling Manc Tories, not retired East coasters. William Hill has only got first place odds up at present, and not much to tempt me there. Tories coming second may well tempt me in Wythenshaw, LDs less so.

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

At any rate it'll show us how UKIP is doing in Northwest Safe LAB seats where CON is second and not the Lib Dems:

General election, 1997 Paul Fleming Conservative 11,429 25.1
    General election, 2001 Susan F.M. Fildes Conservative 8,424 24.0
    General election, 2005 Jane E. P. Meehan Conservative 8,051 22.3
    General election 2010 Janet Clowes Conservative 10,412 25.6

A remarkable consistency of vote !
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Mick_Pork said:

Pulpstar said:

If only Seth O Logue's chum and fellow Romney enthusiast stuarttruth was still here to read the runes. ;)

Meanwhile Christie is fast emulating a Romneyshambles with the laughter becoming very loud indeed.
    Here is how the embattled politician can weather these crises and reemerge as a viable Republican presidential candidate in 2016:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/how-chris-christie-can-survive-political-scandal,35004/
    Hey! I used to live in the New Jersey Pine Barrens - the southern part of the state (except around Philly) is a lovely place to live.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    The ever amusing Lord Steel digging away furiously on Newsnight.

Lib dem harmony can only be mere months away now.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    My thoughts too. The LD vote was not far behind, and is unlikely to break for the Kippers, probably mostly to Labour, with a significant number of non voters.

There may well be some churn, with Labour voters going kipper, while LD voters go to Labour, giving an apparent swing from LD to UKIP.

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

At any rate it'll show us how UKIP is doing in Northwest Safe LAB seats where CON is second and not the Lib Dems:

General election, 1997 Paul Fleming Conservative 11,429 25.1
    General election, 2001 Susan F.M. Fildes Conservative 8,424 24.0
    General election, 2005 Jane E. P. Meehan Conservative 8,051 22.3
    General election 2010 Janet Clowes Conservative 10,412 25.6

A remarkable consistency of vote !
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,192
    kle4 said:

Off-topic:

First World Problems.

I knew it was a mistake: I should have married Tamara Ecclestone.

That is, if she liked smelly, sweaty and bearded long-distance walkers. Which I'm not sure she does ...
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Mick_Pork said:

Pulpstar said:

Hey! I used to live in the New Jersey Pine Barrens - the southern part of the state (except around Philly) is a lovely place to live.

No doubt but it's somewhat lurid reputation has been fostered by such things as the Sopranos and other TV and Movies for years. The reality always falls short of the spin.
  • Options
    Wonder how many people feel like Arganath (Highly rated Daily Telegraph commenter) in Sale:

"I find it odd that Labour feel so smug about UKIP, they think, wrongly, that in their White Working class heartlands in the North their voters will vote for them automatically and forever. This is wrong, Labour are widely hated it's just they are not quite as hated as the Tories.

The people have been waiting for an alternative, and with UKIP it looks like that alternative had finally arrived."
  • Options
    Kevin Maguire ‏@Kevin_Maguire 3h

The Nasty Party is the Hate Party with Con Ministers worried. Lynton Crosby's ears will be burning http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2543396/Tories-win-just-hate-Treasury-minister-warns.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Column F ‏@ColumnF 4h

Does Tory chief strategist Lynton Crosby have a direct financial interest in fracking in this country? http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/jul/19/david-cameron-fracking-lynton-crosby
    Broken sleazy tories on the slide etc.

*chortle*

• Options
    TSE : I think you should change the entry under #6 to "Europhiles continue to lie"

The first claim by British Influence under their "Tearing apart UKIPs EU Myth Busting" is an outright lie.

They say:

"We have a trade deficit in goods with the EU. When services are included we have a trade surplus, so we wouldn’t be in the best negotiating position."

This is simply untrue. We do not have a trade surplus with the EU with or without services being included. According to the 2013 Pink Book, our current account with the EU27 is now showing a deficit of more than £90 billion

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/bop/united-kingdom-balance-of-payments/2013/rpt-the-pink-book-2013--part-3--geographical-breakdown.html#tab-Chapter-9--Geographical-breakdown-of-the-current-account

Not surprising that people who want us to stay in the EU are having to resort to outright lies when the rest of their argument is so weak.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Kevin Maguire ‏@Kevin_Maguire 3h

The Nasty Party is the Hate Party with Con Ministers worried. Lynton Crosby's ears will be burning http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2543396/Tories-win-just-hate-Treasury-minister-warns.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Column F ‏@ColumnF 4h

Does Tory chief strategist Lynton Crosby have a direct financial interest in fracking in this country? http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/jul/19/david-cameron-fracking-lynton-crosby
    Broken sleazy tories on the slide etc.

*chortle*

We all have a direct financial interest in fracking in this country.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815

Off-topic:

First World Problems.

More coverage of the delightfully understated Ecclestone girls:

http://dailym.ai/KB05XI

Read, especially if you fancy a £1 million pound crystal bathtub.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Pulpstar said:

Wonder how many people feel like Arganath (Highly rated Daily Telegraph commenter) in Sale:

"I find it odd that Labour feel so smug about UKIP, they think, wrongly, that in their White Working class heartlands in the North their voters will vote for them automatically and forever. This is wrong, Labour are widely hated it's just they are not quite as hated as the Tories.

The people have been waiting for an alternative, and with UKIP it looks like that alternative had finally arrived."

Well he's wrong about UKIP being the only alternative as SLAB's hammering in their heartlands in scotland in 2011 proves. As for the rest of it, it seems bang on and is easily seen here.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/96/UK_opinion_polling_2010-2015.png

Two parties falling when the UKIP vote gets high enough, not one.

I suppose if the lib dem civil war gets bad enough it's conceivable that could give labour a bit of a bump but the damage from that, though severe, will likely be internal rather than splash headlines and big instant VI moves. (the lib dems aren't exactly doing well anyway)

The Kippers are always more likely to benefit if it was Cameron rather than Clegg caught up in some convoluted and seemingly endless scandal.

What labour are banking on is what Cammie himself has said. If the kippers aren't under 5% come 2015 then it won't really matter what the headline VI is before that. Even a small crossover won't save the tories unless that kipper vote is still smashed down to below 5%.
    Which looks pretty damn unlikely right now. As the tory backbenchers know full well and quite clearly fear.

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    RE: Bill Gates
    He's also spoken out against an increase in the minimum wage.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/369058/bill-gates-cautions-proponents-minimum-wage-increase-andrew-johnson
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,070
    On Labour's Ukip smugness - it's somewhat understandable in our winner takes all electoral system (which conservatives are generally most in favour of) that if Ukip are doing more damage to the Tories than Labour the reds will be happy about it. So long as they don't overtake Labour of course.

Good to see David Blunkett sticking it to (Tory secret agent?) Russell Brand. Whatever you think of their records in government it's nice to see elder statesmen using their position to raise issues they consider important given they no longer needing to take into account political calculations. Mr Major being another fine example. Of course the case of Mr T.Blair who only seems to pop up nowadays if there is a war he wants to sell us, is a regrettable exception.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    I would love to see far more independent analyses not commissioned by the current Holyrood Government, especially when you consider what poor form they have these days for being honest with the Scots electorate.
    Carnyx said:

[recycled from previous thread as I would like to know the source please - for the SNP stgory not the haggis ranch story!]

@JosiasJessop said:

« hide previous quotes
    @richardDodd said:
    The SNP are really quite bizarre in their attempts to ban Fracking "Before it's too late" thay say...too late for what?

I've read a report from McSporran University that they're afraid the underground tremors will effect the mating grounds of the Haggis, and cause a worldwide glut on Scotland main export.
    #

Reference please? I can't find it - are you thinking of the Green Party?

Given that AFAIK the Scottish Government and the Scots get none of the revenue (there is no Barnett formula for income), and have to bear all the costs of planning, monitoring, pollution, etc., even without any disasters, and given that they are already net exporters of energy as electricity and as oil, it would not be surprising if the Scots are reluctant to be guinea-pigs yet again for the benefit of the London Government.

I would in any case be very wary of supporting introducing fracking into densely populated synclinal sedimentary basins riddled with 300 years + of old mines, including into oilshale and ironstone and fireclay as well as coal. I would like to see independent analyses not commissioned by the London Government.

• Options
    fitalass said:

I would love to see far more independent analyses not commissioned by the current Holyrood Government, especially when you consider what poor form they have these days for being honest with the Scots electorate.

Strange that scottish public opinion proves you so very wrong. As usual.
    Referendum 2014 ‏@Referendum_2014 Jan 1

No mid-term blues as SNP stay ahead in Holyrood poll http://sco.lt/8LQOiP #Referendum2014 #indyref
    That oft-delayed scottish tory surge of yours must be mere years away now.

The view from inside the Cameroon bunker must be a very curious one indeed if all they have to cheer about is that the only thing keeping them in government is a lib dem party seemingly locked in a civil war and endless internal strife.

How very unlike Cast Iron Cammie and his own MPs. They always trust him to tell the truth, don't they?
    Tim Montgomerie ‏@TimMontgomerie Jan 19

Why are Eurosceptics still unhappy? "Because Cameron’s tough talk on Brussels sounds phoney" writes @TonyParsonsUK http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/s
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,688
    edited January 2014
    Times/YouGov Rennard Polling

A YouGov poll suggests that most Lib Dem voters want him to walk away from the party. While 32 per cent said they thought he should “remain in the Liberal Democrats as it has not been proved that he’s done anything wrong”, 47 per cent believed that he should leave because “he is damaging the wider organisation”.

Among Men 40% say he should stay, 39% say leave

Among women 43% say he should go, 27% say he should stay

Among all voters 41% say he should leave the party, 33% say he should stay.

The row risks damaging the party’s image. The poll showed that the party is seen as only slightly less sleazy than the Conservatives, with 42 per cent regarding the Tories as sleazy and 41 per cent regarding the Lib Dems the same way.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

A YouGov poll suggests that most Lib Dem voters want him to walk away from the party. While 32 per cent said they thought he should “remain in the Liberal Democrats as it has not been proved that he’s done anything wrong”, 47 per cent believed that he should leave because “he is damaging the wider organisation”.

Among Men 40% say he should go, 39% say leave

Among women 43% say he should stay, 27% say he should stay

The row risks damaging the party’s image. The poll showed that the party is seen as only slightly less sleazy than the Conservatives, with 42 per cent regarding the Tories as sleazy and 41 per cent regarding the Lib Dems the same way.

Surely the point is he doesn't have to go or leave.

He just has to apologise. No one will notice him sitting on the Lib Dem benches in the Lords and no one is suggesting that he should return to a position of executive power in the party.

The solution to this problem is for Rennard to do the right thing and then everyone to shut up.

• Options
    YouGov questioned 1,961 people online on January 20-21 for the poll
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Communal toilets at Russian Olympics venue despite $50bn being spent:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25830617
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

They are arranged to support the new Olympic sport of Synchronised Shitting.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

They apparently had a committee meeting, but decided to sit down and let the matter drop.
  • Options
  • Options

Among Men 40% say he should stay, 39% say leave

Among women 43% say he should go, 27% say he should stay

Looks like there is no right answer for Clegg

Lets all laugh at the broken, sleazy Lib Dems on the slide.
  • Options
    Today's declaration of a state of emergency in Bangkok has pushed the Thai Baht past 54 to the pound:

http://themoneyconverter.com/GBP/THB.aspx
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    "Asked to describe themselves, 46% of people say they are working class, 42% middle class.

It’s interesting to compare the ABC1C2DE social categorisations of people (which is based on their occupation) with their self-perceptions:

35% of people in “middle class occupations” consider themselves working class, and

28% of people in “working class occupations” consider themselves middle class.

Obviously the ABC classification is pretty crude in its own way, but it’s also a sign of perceptions of social class are an awful lot more complicated than people’s own current occupation."

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/8598
This discussion has been closed.