Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Nighthawks is now open

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited January 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Nighthawks is now open

Why not relax, and converse into the night on the day’s events in PB NightHawks.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    edited January 2014
    No.1 should really not be forgotten. Labour really have had it so easy despite being less than inspiring since 2010. But then would they put in the effort? They don't need to.

Also, I am disappointed it's been so long since a Rob Ford story was making headway.

I have a terrible admission re 21. I watched the Sherlock Pilot and didn't like it. Sherlock Holmes as a character is understandably a bit of a dick at first glance, his mannerisms demand that, but from the pilot I had no investment in him as anything other than a dick, I saw no reason to care about this Holmes, or understand why people might still put up with him. Given the critical praise it gets, I assume all the characterization stuff somes later.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    A new thread?

Just as the old thread was getting lively!
  • Options
    3 Nil
  • Options
    @Kle4

Sherlock is awesome, has wonderful nuance.

Is now link 22 (had an initial formatting error)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Come on City, 4 more please !
  • Options
    edited January 2014

@Kle4

Sherlock is awesome, has wonderful nuance.

Is now link 22 (had an initial formatting error)

It should have had a better pilot then, I might have stuck around (I will see it someday).

My biggest gripe really was simply that there was not enough depth to the character in the pilot (according to my spotty recollection) that would explain why people would put up with this man. One very good move of the american 'Elementary' (a fun enough procedural), was in explaining it as it being Watson's job to hand around Holmes even though his being a dick made their relationship antagonistic at first.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    AveryLP said:

A new thread?

Rod has produced one of the great predictions of pbc - up there with Seth's Lansley for Leader one!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Good evening, everyone.

Sherlock's pretty good, but this series was the weakest so far by some distance. If I were writing it I'd kill the wife off sharpish.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    edited January 2014
    Neil said:

AveryLP said:

A new thread?

Rod has produced one of the great predictions of pbc - up there with Seth's Lansley for Leader one!
    What's the prediction? Lord Rennard is eligible to be President of the United States?

Edit: And Lansley is leader. (Leader of the House, so that counts)
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756

Good evening, everyone.

Sherlock's pretty good, but this series was the weakest so far by some distance. If I were writing it I'd kill the wife off sharpish.

I'd just kill off Sherlock, Moriarty looks much more interesting.
  • Options
    Mr. Brooke, Moriarty is bloody abysmal. I was delighted when he left.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

Neil said:

AveryLP said:

A new thread?

What's the prediction? Lord Rennard is eligible to be President of the United States?

Edit: And Lansley is leader. (Leader of the House, so that counts)
    Rennardgate to lead to the end of the Lib Dems as a viable party.
  • Options

Good evening, everyone.

I'd just kill off Sherlock, Moriarty looks much more interesting.
    Sounds like a great idea for a movie/tv series. Villain protagonists are all the rage thesedays, how about a Moriarty show fighting thuggish criminals and the attentions of the police? It would be like that idea for a Nottingham movie that would have been Robin Hood with the Sheriff of Nottingham as the protagonist, which unfortunately got totally retooled in the Russell Crowe Robin Hood movie and abandoned that element.
  • Options

Mr. Brooke, Moriarty is bloody abysmal. I was delighted when he left.

I believe he's modelled on Ed Balls.
  • Options
    Fat_SteveFat_Steve Posts: 361
    The first link is interesting
    Just for fun
    1. Ed Millibands polling is already factored in to the Labour score, therefore his bad personal polling is not a cause for despair for Labour. Not sure how much this will stand up to an election campaign. - Partly agree
    2. Labour doesn't need a polling lead to win - Agree
    3. Labour doing better in marginals - Probably Agree
    4. 2010 LibDem to Labour shifters are now solid Labour - Not sure. True now, true in 18 months?
    5. UKIP rise will disproportionally hit Tories - Probably Agree. Let's wait for Wythenshawe and Euros.
    6. Tories can't better 2010 score - there is nowhere for the voters to come from - Don't agree
    7. There will be no swingback - Labour's current poll supporters are solidly anti-Tory - Don't agree
    8. Don;t compare polls to 1997 - Historical analogies don;t apply - Partly Agree
  • Options

What's the prediction?

That the Lib Dems will probably be destroyed. If it comes off Rod will have to be given JackW's TOTY title for ever.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, on Robin Hood, apparently Alan Rickman's screentime was dramatically reduced in Prince of Thieves because it was feared he was stealing the show from Kevin Costner.

Which, of course, he did anyway.
  • Options
    Neil said:

What's the prediction?

That the Lib Dems will probably be destroyed. If it comes off Rod will have to be given JackW's TOTY title for ever.

Hold on isn't he predicting a conservative win too ?
  • Options
    Mr. Brooke, I think the Moriarty character might actually annoy me more.
  • Options
    Fat_Steve said:

The first link is interesting
    Just for fun
    1. Ed Millibands polling is already factored in to the Labour score, therefore his bad personal polling is not a cause for despair for Labour. Not sure how much this will stand up to an election campaign. - Partly agree
    2. Labour doesn't need a polling lead to win - Agree
    3. Labour doing better in marginals - Probably Agree
    4. 2010 LibDem to Labour shifters are now solid Labour - Not sure. True now, true in 18 months?
    5. UKIP rise will disproportionally hit Tories - Probably Agree. Let's wait for Wythenshawe and Euros.
    6. Tories can't better 2010 score - there is nowhere for the voters to come from - Don't agree
    7. There will be no swingback - Labour's current poll supporters are solidly anti-Tory - Don't agree
    8. Don;t compare polls to 1997 - Historical analogies don;t apply - Partly Agree

I think 4. is solid enough. A sizable number shifted from LD to Lab immediately upon the Coalition, not even waiting to see whether any cost would be worth the price, and has been that way consistently for over 3 years now. They always were Labour, but for specific reasons wanted to vote Labour without actually doing so, and are now in their proper home.
    6. I cannot envisage a way for the Tories to do that, but fair play to them if they manage that miracle.
    7. Probably the weakest of the articles points, but taken with the others it doesn;t matter.
  • Options

Mr. kle4, on Robin Hood, apparently Alan Rickman's screentime was dramatically reduced in Prince of Thieves because it was feared he was stealing the show from Kevin Costner.

Which, of course, he did anyway.

You mean there's deleted scenes of Sheriff Hans out there? I have to see them!
  • Options

Mr. Brooke, I think the Moriarty character might actually annoy me more.

Next series the Moriarty role will be played by Russell Brand.
  • Options
    Neil said:

AveryLP said:

A new thread?

Neil

Carefully rephrased to avoid being rolled on by Pork?

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Neil said:

What's the prediction?

From memory I think Rod and JackW's GE predictions are very much in line with each other (Tory biggest party, maybe even a majority, no chance of Labour majority).

On the other side we have OGH and tim who think it will be Labour biggest party.

Choose your side!
  • Options
    Neil said:

What's the prediction?

I'm the PB TOTY 2014.

But that's one hell of a prediction by Rod, I'm the sure the party that survived Jeremy Thorpe, Paddy Pantsdown, Charles Kennedy, Mark Oaten, Chris Huhne can survive this.
  • Options
    Fat_SteveFat_Steve Posts: 361
    @Kle4
    Point 7 - The Tories fought the 2010 election not just against Gordon Brown, but against Gordon Brown and Peter Mandelson. Ed Milliband hasn't got a Peter Mandelson (and it shows)
  • Options
    @AveryLP

Let's see if he's as skillful as Seth was!
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, I saw one not too long ago on Youtube... I think this is the one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9azv0uAog_k
  • Options
    City look like they can't be arsed really now.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Pulpstar said:

Neil said:

What's the prediction?

From memory I think Rod and JackW's GE predictions are very much in line with each other (Tory biggest party, maybe even a majority, no chance of Labour majority).

On the other side we have OGH and tim who think it will be Labour biggest party.

Choose your side!
    Rod's prediction is alot more bullish for CON.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Pulpstar said:

Neil said:

What's the prediction?

Choose your side!
    I made a prediction a while back, I'll try and dig it out
  • Options
    I can't believe none of you are talking about links 16 and 17
  • Options

Mr. kle4, I saw one not too long ago on Youtube... I think this is the one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9azv0uAog_k

That was...illuminating - I had no idea the Sheriff had planned on dividing England into seven parts with his satanist buddies. At least, not seven specific guys.

• Options

I can't believe none of you are talking about links 16 and 17

It takes time to react to such things.
  • Options
    Alan Rickman's finest ever role is as The Metatron in Dogma.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, I had no idea either.

Rickman's a fantastic villain. He's probably even better as Hans Gruber.

Mr. Eagles, never seen Dogma.
  • Options
    Fat_Steve said:

@Kle4
    Point 7 - The Tories fought the 2010 election not just against Gordon Brown, but against Gordon Brown and Peter Mandelson. Ed Milliband hasn't got a Peter Mandelson (and it shows)

He doesn't need one. The factors undermining the Tory side are of their own making, or a result of taking unpopular decisions any government would have taken since 2010, so quality on the Labour side is less needed. And Ed M has proven skillful enough at not making mass cock ups at least, which is all he needs.

• Options
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Interesting move, I assume designed to annoy Salmond. He challenges the PM, but instead merely the Chief Secretary of the Treasury is deemed the only one suitable enough to debate him.

I am going to assume nationalists will say there is practically no-one worse than Alexander to put the Unionist case, being not only a Lib Dem - whose vote has collapsed and will probably never recover in Scotland - but a Lib Dem who is seen as Tory friendly.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    I haven't had time to follow any thread today but I've just seen this and wondered if it had been discussed already. Whither The Grauniad!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/media/10587296/Guardian-Media-Group-gets-600m-for-AutoTrader-stake.html
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited January 2014
    kle4 said:

Interesting move, I assume designed to annoy Salmond. He challenges the PM, but instead merely the Chief Secretary of the Treasury is deemed the only one suitable enough to debate him.

He is the most senior member of the Government who also has a vote in the referendum

Eck wanted it to be an all Scottish affair. He can't change his mind now...
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

I haven't had time to follow any thread today but I've just seen this and wondered if it had been discussed already. Whither The Grauniad!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/media/10587296/Guardian-Media-Group-gets-600m-for-AutoTrader-stake.html

Gone through the Cayman Islands no doubt, what will Polly say?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

He is the most senior member of the Government who also has a vote in the referendum

Merely perdicting the response - it wouldn't matter who challenges Salmond, it's part of the game to dismiss whoever ends up with the privilege of facing Salmond, as inevitable as unionists talking about the dangers of uncertainty (well, it is one of our trump cards). That he has a legitimate reason to be the one makes no difference. Leaders do not debate with non leaders, as we see at PMQs.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    The challenge has prompted a scathing response from the First Minister's office which said the Westminster senior minister was acting as a human shield for the Conservatives in Scotland.

"The First Minister will happily debate with members of the UK Government but by starting at the very top and working his way down," said a spokesman. "Of course, he’ll have to go quite far down before he gets to Danny Alexander."

If that is the end of the challenge, Danny has already won his debate.
  • Options
    Paywall

Vicky Pryce, who was jailed for falsely accepting the speeding points of her former husband Chris Huhne, has quietly returned to an official role advising the Government.

Vince Cable, the Business Secretary, has approved the decision to appoint Dr Pryce to a panel of economists, it was confirmed last night. She was sentenced last March to eight months in jail for perverting the course of justice, and served 62 days
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

The challenge has prompted a scathing response from the First Minister's office which said the Westminster senior minister was acting as a human shield for the Conservatives in Scotland.

"The First Minister will happily debate with members of the UK Government but by starting at the very top and working his way down," said a spokesman. "Of course, he’ll have to go quite far down before he gets to Danny Alexander."

Alex Salmond too frightened to debate with Danny Alexander.

Well, who could have predicted that...
  • Options
    Some belated good news for Mr Hollande. The Lib Dems have made his handling of his affair look like a model of statesmanship and consummate aplomb
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Salmond's delusions of grandeur are pitiful. Alexander is a minister and handily outranks a local politician like Salmond.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

AveryLP said:

In fairness, whatever the reasonableness or not of him debating Alexander specifically, or of Cameron refusing to do so, having thrown down the gauntlet to the PM, Salmond cannot very well then back down and say 'fine, i'll destroy someone else instead'. He'd look weak.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801
    [recycled from previous thread as I would like to know the source please - for the SNP stgory not the haggis ranch story!]

@JosiasJessop said:

« hide previous quotes
    @richardDodd said:
    The SNP are really quite bizarre in their attempts to ban Fracking "Before it's too late" thay say...too late for what?

I've read a report from McSporran University that they're afraid the underground tremors will effect the mating grounds of the Haggis, and cause a worldwide glut on Scotland main export.
    #

Reference please? I can't find it - are you thinking of the Green Party?

Given that AFAIK the Scottish Government and the Scots get none of the revenue (there is no Barnett formula for income), and have to bear all the costs of planning, monitoring, pollution, etc., even without any disasters, and given that they are already net exporters of energy as electricity and as oil, it would not be surprising if the Scots are reluctant to be guinea-pigs yet again for the benefit of the London Government.

I would in any case be very wary of supporting introducing fracking into densely populated synclinal sedimentary basins riddled with 300 years + of old mines, including into oilshale and ironstone and fireclay as well as coal. I would like to see independent analyses not commissioned by the London Government.

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Neil said:

What's the prediction?

I'm the PB TOTY 2014.

But that's one hell of a prediction by Rod, I'm the sure the party that survived Jeremy Thorpe, Paddy Pantsdown, Charles Kennedy, Mark Oaten, Chris Huhne can survive this.
    I regret to advise you that as I've been TOTY since 2008 I get to keep the title for life.

However I'm sure some other lesser title may be available should some personage feel they have merited consideration.

Vice-Toty is also unavailable as this prestigious preferment is a life title for Peter the Punter.

• Options
    PREDICTION:

LAB 310
    CON 278
    LD 35

Can't find the old one but I don't think it was far off that...
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited January 2014
    kle4 said:

I am going to assume nationalists will say there is practically no-one worse than Alexander to put the Unionist case, being not only a Lib Dem - whose vote has collapsed and will probably never recover in Scotland - but a Lib Dem who is seen as Tory friendly.

2011 speaks for itself thanks.

We'll leave it to the always hilarious scottish tory surgers and out of touch twit spinners on here to not understand just how panicked the coward Cammie looks. Being forced to put up the likes of wee Danny as a human shield also speaks for itself.

Will the incompetent fop Cammie be begging for Clegg to debate with Farage to save him from that as well?

LOL

:)
  • Options
    JackW said:

Neil said:

What's the prediction?

I'm the PB TOTY 2014.

I regret to advise you that as I've been TOTY since 2008 I get to keep the title for life.

However I'm sure some other lesser title may be available should some personage feel they have merited consideration.

Vice-Toty is also unavailable as this prestigious preferment is a life title for Peter the Punter.

I happy with my title of Occasional Guest Editor of PB.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

In fairness, whatever the reasonableness or not of him debating Alexander specifically, or of Cameron refusing to do so, having thrown down the gauntlet to the PM, Salmond cannot very well then back down and say 'fine, i'll destroy someone else instead'. He'd look weak.

Eh, he has already said he is willing to take on all comers.

Now he is quibbling about the order. He already looks weak.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    I assume the fact Beaker challenged Salmond will have been discussed by The Quad. It does look like Cameron is ducking it though. Salmond obviously know that no matter what would be discussed if he had a debate with Cameron, the fact that he was against a multi-millionaire Etonian Englishman who has about as much in common with most Scottish people as Kermit the Frog would only help the Yes campaign.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Paywall

Vicky Pryce, who was jailed for falsely accepting the speeding points of her former husband Chris Huhne, has quietly returned to an official role advising the Government.

Vince Cable, the Business Secretary, has approved the decision to appoint Dr Pryce to a panel of economists, it was confirmed last night. She was sentenced last March to eight months in jail for perverting the course of justice, and served 62 days

An economic appointment presumably in the Fisheries Department as she clearly knows the pryce of crabs ?!?!

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Mr Eagles -

Regarding your point 22 about Sherlock - I have to confess I'm not a fan.

There's another updated Holmes show on called Elementary, which I've not seen.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

AveryLP said:

How odd. Mr Cameron refuses to debate with Mr Salmond, and it is a victory for him. Mr Alexander (by implication) refuses to debate with his oppo, who would be Mr Swinney;s assistant, and it s a victory for him too. Mr Cameron will not debate with anyone on the pro-indy side, and that is a victory for him too. But when Mr Salmond wants to debate with someone at his level, it is a defeat for him.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

Except it is Mr C who is changing his mind - he is happy to being in the Spanish, and the entire resources of the UK Government, and ...

• Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    What with Sherlock and Saga - and I'm sure I thought of another one the other day... seems like ASD is the new divorced/loner/drinks too much/listens to jazz/world-weary cynical 'tec.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

How odd. Mr Cameron refuses to debate with Mr Salmond, and it is a victory for him. Mr Alexander (by implication) refuses to debate with his oppo, who would be Mr Swinney;s assistant, and it s a victory for him too. Mr Cameron will not debate with anyone on the pro-indy side, and that is a victory for him too. But when Mr Salmond wants to debate with someone at his level, it is a defeat for him.

Salmond wanted a debate in Scotland, between Scots, so when he refuses to debate a Scot, in Scotland, that's a defeat.

When an Englishman refuses to join a Scottish debate, that is not a defeat for the Englishman.
  • Options
    Well the Daily Telegraph have brought in Mrs Clegg into the Rennard story.

Nick Sutton ‏@suttonnick 2m

Wednesday's Daily Telegraph (Scotland) front page -

"Clegg's wife told him he 'let down' women" #tomorrowspaperstoday

pic.twitter.com/pix2ynYWgH
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

Except it is Mr C who is changing his mind - he is happy to being in the Spanish, and the entire resources of the UK Government, and ...

Don't forget who else Cammie has been begging to save him.
    Gerard Clare ‏@stakhanovite

Funny how things work out... David Cameron begs Putin for help in stopping Scottish independence http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/camerons-plea-to-putin-help-me-stop-salmond.23138182
    *chortle*
  • Options
    The ridiculous hyper-sensitivity around certain aspects of Islam (which I firmly believe only a handful of nutcases are actually 'offended' by) is highlighted by Cranmer here:
    http://archbishop-cranmer.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/petition-to-deselect-libdem-candidate.html

I saw a few Jesus and Mo cartoons a while ago (months, maybe years). I think t-shirts depicting them were verboten at a university. It's really rather worrying.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Mr Eagles -

Elementary is very good, but it is no Sherlock.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    @Mick_Pork

... always hilarious ... tory surgers ... out of touch ... twit spinners ... panicked ... coward ...Cammie ... wee Danny ... incompetent fop ... Cammie ... Clegg ... Farage ... LOL

Evening, Pork.

"Gullible" appears to be missing.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

The ridiculous hyper-sensitivity around certain aspects of Islam (which I firmly believe only a handful of nutcases are actually 'offended' by)

But harsh on Crosby after all that money Cammie spent on hiring him, isn't it?
    Roger McKenzie ‏@unionroger

Lynton Crosby ‘f****** Muslims’ row escalates, as he’s accused of saying ‘Let’s put a rag round the battle bus’ http://labourlist.org/2012/11/tory-peer-says-british-muslims-are-all-on-benefits-and-all-vote-labour-as-lynton-crosby-row-escalates/
  • Options
    Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics 3s

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead drops to four points: CON 34%, LAB 38%, LD 9%, UKIP 13%
  • Options
    Salmond asking Cameron for a debate is him playing silly buggers.

It's a vote in Scotland, by Scots, on Scottish independence. Cameron doesn't live there. He isn't Scottish. He doesn't vote there.

Ask yourself how neutral it would be if Yorkshire were having an independence debate, with Geoff Boycott representating Yes and a Lancastrian representing No. It'd be palpable nonsense. So it is with Salmond's daft debate request.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    AveryLP said:

Evening, Pork.

Evening, Seth O Logue.

Still playing the out of touch twit spinner I see. You will remind everyone when we are supposed to take anything you say seriously won't you?

• Options

Good evening, everyone.

I agree. It's Scrappy-Doo all over again. Or that screeching woman/the squeaky kid combo in 'Temple of Doom'.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Carnyx said:

Salmond wanted a debate in Scotland, between Scots, so when he refuses to debate a Scot, in Scotland, that's a defeat.

When an Englishman refuses to join a Scottish debate, that is not a defeat for the Englishman.
    Only nsofar as it is used to conceal a much deeper and far more worrying defeat for Mr Cameron.

And (as someone pointed out) it is not whether you are Scottish or English (I'm not even sure there is a legal definition at present) but whether one has a vote. In which case, why does Better Together have so much funding from outwith the country? Why is Mr Cameron allowing this but refusing to let us know what the PM of the UK thinks? Why is Mr Hague coming in to lecture us? And so on.

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    I'm sitting in a bar in Bratislava, so can't post much.

I've seen this type of witch-hunt at first hand, and it isn't pretty. People lose their minds over it and become infected with malice. Court orders even can mean nothing to them. It becomes a personal war. At some point some may even think the only way to cure the cancer is to actively work covertly or overtly for the organization's destruction. At a minimum the wounds will never heal.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371

Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics 3s

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead drops to four points: CON 34%, LAB 38%, LD 9%, UKIP 13%

TRAMADOLADINGDONG!
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Mr Eagles -

First season was really good. A procedural cop show, which has its limitations of course, but it has the best evolving Watson-Holmes dynamic I've seen from various interpreations of the duo, with a justification for them hanging around and learning from each other in the early days when, without a justification, no-one would put up with a Holmsian type (Also known as they 'Why did Dr House have any friends?' argument -though I stress I loved that show), and seeing how they came to rely on each other without forcing in some awkward partnership from day one.
  • Options

It's a vote in Scotland, by Scots, on Scottish independence. Cameron doesn't live there. He isn't Scottish. He doesn't vote there.

Ask yourself how neutral it would be if Yorkshire were having an independence debate, with Geoff Boycott representating Yes and a Lancastrian representing No. It'd be palpable nonsense. So it is with Salmond's daft debate request.

How wpould you feel if vast amounts of money were being poured into one side by the Lancastrians, who them refused to debate the issues?

• Options
    Miss Carola, that's a very good way of putting it. Plus, killing off major characters is cool. (cf Game of Thrones, Bane of Souls, etc).

Anyway, I am off for the night.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Neither does 'fourteen pints a day' wee Willie Hague.
    So when William Hague came to Scotland the other day, the broadcasters shouldn't have earnestly reported the content of his speech. Instead, the 'illegitimacy klaxon' should have sounded from the moment he mentioned the issue of independence : "Mr Hague, why are you speaking about independence? This is a matter for Scots alone to debate and decide, isn't it? I'm sorry, Mr Hague, but you appear to still be speaking. Your lips appear to still be moving. So it's OK for non-Scots to talk about independence now? Does that mean your boss David Cameron has had a change of heart? Will he be taking part in a TV referendum debate with Alex Salmond after all? He won't be? So that must mean he has a new excuse...sorry, reason for not participating? He doesn't? So it's still not OK for non-Scots to take part in the referendum debate? Mr Hague, I believe you are a non-Scot. If the UK government believe that it's inappropriate for non-Scottish politicians to intervene in the referendum debate, why precisely are you in Glasgow trying to convince a sceptical Scottish public that if they vote for independence they'll be personally responsible for women being raped in Africa?" (That's literally what he was doing, by the way - I'm not making it up.) And on and on it should have gone until either Cameron backed down on the TV debate, or announced that non-Scottish ministers will in future be making no comment on the issue of independence. If neither of those things ever happened, there should have been regular "pressure mounting on Downing Street to clarify its position" headlines.

http://scotgoespop.blogspot.co.uk/
  • Options
    Carola said:

Good evening, everyone.

I agree. It's Scrappy-Doo all over again. Or that screeching woman/the squeaky kid combo in 'Temple of Doom'.
    Spielberg married that actress, and they remain together to this day apparently. I think that explains part of why nothing was done to improve that aspect of the movie.

Easily the weakest Indiana Jones movie. Yes I am including Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I didn't mind the kid when I was a kid, which I guess is the point, but when have precocious kids ever helped a movie? It was part of what made Iron Man 3 so bad.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

AveryLP said:

Evening, Pork.

Evening, Seth O Logue.

Still playing the out of touch twit spinner I see. You will remind everyone when we are supposed to take anything you say seriously won't you?

Going forward, Mike Smithson has asked posters not to call other posters twits or a twit

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/202197/#Comment_202197
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

Eh, he has already said he is willing to take on all comers.

Now he is quibbling about the order. He already looks weak.
    He looks petty, but Cameron does as well. Again, there are arguments that can be made in either case why either should/should not debate with those who have challenged them, but if you've called out someone at the top to face you, of course you stand your ground and refuse to debate anyone else until that happens, or you look like you've accepted their dismissal of you.

What he should have done is said one of his deputies will debate Alexander.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Carola said:

Good evening, everyone.

Spielberg married that actress, and they remain together to this day apparently. I think that explains part of why nothing was done to improve that aspect of the movie.

Easily the weakest Indiana Jones movie. Yes I am including Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I didn't mind the kid when I was a kid, which I guess is the point, but when have precocious kids ever helped a movie? It was part of what made Iron Man 3 so bad.
    Crystal Skull was absolutely dire.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    kle4 said:

Carola said:

Good evening, everyone.

Old Yeller?
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

I'm sitting in a bar in Bratislava, so can't post much.

I've seen this type of witch-hunt at first hand, and it isn't pretty. People lose their minds over it and become infected with malice. Court orders even can mean nothing to them. It becomes a personal war. At some point some may even think the only way to cure the cancer is to actively work covertly or overtly for the organization's destruction. At a minimum the wounds will never heal.

Sir Roderick.

Now we understand.

It's toothache.

Why ever didn't your tell us upfront?

• Options
    edited January 2014
    And more specifically re Mr Alexander - even if one accepted the restriction to those with residence in Scotland and a vote in the referendum, surely he is Mr Osborne's gofer, and Mr Carmichael as S of S for S is the senior to him and should be front of him in the queue to offer himself, even if last time it was as dinner at feeding time in Jurassic Park (judging from his reportedly, with only some exaggeration, screaming to be let out of the recent debates with Ms Sturgeon). (But admittedly I am not too au fait with the precedence at Cabinet dinners.)

I am still getting my head around the assertion on a previous thread that in the event of a Yes vote Mr Alexander would be denied leadership of the LDs in Westminster even if he was an EWNI subject, whether by parentage or naturalisation, just because he is Scottish by birth. If this is true (and I am not suggesting for a moment that it was the personal sentiment of the posters in question) then the countries have diverged even more than I had realised.
  • Options
    YouGov poll in the Times

47% of Lib Dem voters think Lord Rennard should leave the party, while 32% think he should stay
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    O/T Birmingham City Council Kingstanding By Election Feb 13th

One of the 5 candidates Terry Williams is listed as No Party Description but there is a curious note from Birmingham City Council
    " Please note Terry Williams did not fill in the description section of the nomination form meaning his party description is not listed . We can confirm that he is a registered candidate for the National Front Party . The City's election office did contact Mr Williams and his election agent to raise this matter but his nomination paper was not re-submitted before the deadline " and finally even more curious and I am not sure of the legality ...
    " The National Front logo will appear on election documentation and he will be referred to as a candidate for National Front when the results are declared etc . "

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    New Quinnipiac poll shows shift in GOP race

•Paul Ryan 13% {9%} [10%] (17%)
    •Rand Paul 13% {14%} [17%] (15%)
    •Chris Christie 12% {17%} [13%] (14%)
    •Jeb Bush 11% {11%} [11%] (10%)
    •Ted Cruz 9% {13%} [10%]
    •Marco Rubio 8% {7%} [12%] (19%)
    •Scott Walker 6% {5%} [4%] (2%)
    •Bobby Jindal 3% {3%} [3%] (3%)
    •John Kasich 2% {2%}
    •Don’t know 22% {17%} [19%] (18%)

While Rasmussen suggests the Dems could take the House

•Democrats 41% 41% 40% 40% (39%) 40% (38%) (38%) (41%) (39%) (41%) (43%) (43%) (43%) (45%) (42%) (40%)
    •Republicans 35% 37% 38% 40% (42%) 40% (43%) (43%) (40%) (40%) (39%) (37%) (37%) (36%) (38%) (38%) (37%)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

if you've called out someone at the top to face you, of course you stand your ground and refuse to debate anyone else until that happens

Except Cameron isn't at the top of anything as defined by Salmond.

Salmond demanded that the debate be between Scots, in Scotland.

Cameron isn't on that list, never mind at the top.

Cameron also isn't the top of lots of other things too. A Cybernat elsewhere tried to claim he was head of the UK. That's the Queen. So he tried head of the UK Government. That's the Queen.

Cameron is the leader of the largest party in a Parliament Salmond shunned. He is perfectly entitled, by the rules Eck set himself, to tell Salmond where he can stick his debate
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Carola said:

kle4 said:

Carola said:

Good evening, everyone.

Crystal Skull was absolutely dire.
    It wasn't very good, but it wasn't annoying like Temple of Doom with those side characters, it was just mediocre (the good bits of Doom were better, the worst parts worse). And I'll say it - I liked the alien thing.

But then I'm someone who'll stick up for the Star Wars prequels, which is blasphemy on the internet (yes they were poorly written, inconsistently at best acted, and full of dumb contrivances, but they really were not as terrible - worst movie ever terrible - as legend has made them out to be. It's fun to trash them, but they're watchable. George Lucas should be a cinematographer and let other people handle the writing and plotting, other than the broad strokes), so my opinion is clearly suspect.
  • Options

YouGov poll in the Times

47% of Lib Dem voters think Lord Rennard should leave the party, while 32% think he should stay

How many think it looks good for the Lib Dems ?
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

kle4 said:

Carola said:

Good evening, everyone.

Old Yeller?
    Point.
  • Options
    The lid dem factions are becoming ever more entrenched.
    Opinion: What does ‘bringing the party into disrepute’ mean?

http://www.libdemvoice.org/opinion-what-does-bringing-the-party-into-disrepute-mean-37908.html
    As the Telegraph wades in with it's usual tact.
    Sarah Crook ‏@SarahRoseCrook 11m

Seriously? This is the Daily Telegraph's front page? "angry wife"? SERIOUSLY? pic.twitter.com/u45uznRIb3
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Eck too frightened to face Danny.

Another winner from the Nats.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

YouGov poll in the Times

How many think it looks good for the Lib Dems ?
    Is from the editorial, the main polling article isn't up yet.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Meanwhile - The Donald returns? Trump announces running in 2016 "is something I would certainly look at,” in a telephone interview. “You know why? I'm unhappy with the way things are going in America." Christie v Clinton v Trump? A mouthwatering prospect for sure! But will they be able to feet all their egos into the debate room?
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/01/21/donald-trump-2016-president_n_4638292.html
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

Eck too frightened to face Danny.

Another winner from the Nats.
    #
    To be fair, to both, any offer to send in Mr A's oppo may not have been reported (or omitted by the LDs). We'll see what other coverage we get.

• Options
    Is there any hope for someone other than UKIP coming second in this upcoming by-election? I hate these by-elections with almost no chance of the seat changing hands.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

if you've called out someone at the top to face you, of course you stand your ground and refuse to debate anyone else until that happens

Except Cameron isn't at the top of anything as defined by Salmond.

Salmond demanded that the debate be between Scots, in Scotland.

Cameron isn't on that list, never mind at the top.

Cameron also isn't the top of lots of other things too. A Cybernat elsewhere tried to claim he was head of the UK. That's the Queen. So he tried head of the UK Government. That's the Queen.

Cameron is the leader of the largest party in a Parliament Salmond shunned. He is perfectly entitled, by the rules Eck set himself, to tell Salmond where he can stick his debate
    On some interpretations. But (as the LDs show) sticking by the rules is not always the politic thing. The fact is that Mr C is showing himself frightened, and that a recent poll showed a majority in the UK wanted him to come out fighting.

This discussion has been closed.