Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

YouGov finds that just 40% of the youngest voters support the monarchy. – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,909
    kle4 said:

ohnotnow said:

Re; Ishmael's point about THC, this paper seems to suggest that the levels of the more dangerous THC elements have gone down 4% in Canada since legalisation. Things don't seem to be going so well on that front in the apparently less clearly regulated US, but then Britain's experience is more likely to be like the Canadian one, from a governmental point of view, if it goes down this particular road.

http://cannabisproject.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Mahamad-et-al.-2020-Availability-retail-price-and-potency-of-legal-and-illegal-cannabisin-Canada-after-recreational-cannabis-legalisation.pdf

I'm often baffled why the government doesn't legalise cannabis. There must be an eye-watering amount of tax sitting there for the taking (not to mention savings on police/court time).
    Well, even though plenty of places are now legalising it after studies (and so the 'we need to wait for more medical info' crowd are wrong), many would still see it as unacceptable behaviour

I doubt the police use up much time though. I pass people openly smoking weed in the street and they cannot be hard to track down.
    I wasn't thinking police time in the sense of a regular bobby arresting a smoker on the street - but there must (I assume) be a decent whack of time going into investigating and prosecuting gangs/smugglers/larger-scale dealers. And then being sat around court houses waiting to give evidence.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    edited September 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

ohnotnow said:

Re; Ishmael's point about THC, this paper seems to suggest that the levels of the more dangerous THC elements have gone down 4% in Canada since legalisation. Things don't seem to be going so well on that front in the apparently less clearly regulated US, but then Britain's experience is more likely to be like the Canadian one, from a governmental point of view, if it goes down this particular road.

http://cannabisproject.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Mahamad-et-al.-2020-Availability-retail-price-and-potency-of-legal-and-illegal-cannabisin-Canada-after-recreational-cannabis-legalisation.pdf

I'm often baffled why the government doesn't legalise cannabis. There must be an eye-watering amount of tax sitting there for the taking (not to mention savings on police/court time).
    Well, even though plenty of places are now legalising it after studies (and so the 'we need to wait for more medical info' crowd are wrong), many would still see it as unacceptable behaviour

I doubt the police use up much time though. I pass people openly smoking weed in the street and they cannot be hard to track down.
    Oooh, "after studies," by third parties. Must be fine, then. No need for further research.

Read this

https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/news/articles/how-weed-became-new-oxycontin-marijuana-psychosis-addiction

The link between high strength cannabis and psychosis is about as well established as tobacco smoking - lung cancer. What we should be doing is learning from other peoples' mistakes.
    I don't touch the stuff myself, my body is a temple, but if the evidence of regulated use was so clear as to make it an obvious decision there wouldn't have been a spate of legalisations in the first place and it would have been reversed by now. Unless you are claiming everyone who has ever legalised it did so on the basis of no information whatsoever.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

"We met at 10:30pm last night and we've been together throughout the whole thing."

Jack and Zoe, two strangers who met in the queue to see the Queen lying in state, tell @MinnieStephC4 they're now planning to watch the Queen's funeral together on Monday. https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1571169879713013761/video/1

I absolutely love him talking about it being 'sombre' on Monday with a fuck off big 'totally getting laid' grin on his face.
    They're going to screw each other senseless tonight.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2022
    Ah - working out from the paper again, and some other sources online, it seems that about 40-50% of the cannabis market in Canada is still illegal. The potency of the more dangerous elements seems to have clearly gone down in the legal 50 or 60%, and the figure of around 20% quoted in the illegal market sounds around the same as it's always been, or possibly even slightly lower there, I think.

Things seem not to be going as well on that in the more regulation-averse US.
  • Options
    thartthart Posts: 139

If you want to join The Queue to see Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II lying-in-state - before she's gone forever - then tonight is your last chance. The next few hours. Now.

Don't make a decision (or non-decision) that you'll regret for the rest of your life.

If you're not sure, *go*. The Queue is an
    incredible experience in itself, and people will be talking about it for decades.

Go.

Not for me but I know what you mean, as a veteran of Charles & Diana's wedding and the Olympics.
    Mmm i think i would rather go for root canal treatment at the dentist
  • Options
    Afghanistan vet with more medals than his bro.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,913
    edited September 2022

Scott_xP said:

"We met at 10:30pm last night and we've been together throughout the whole thing."

Jack and Zoe, two strangers who met in the queue to see the Queen lying in state, tell @MinnieStephC4 they're now planning to watch the Queen's funeral together on Monday. https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1571169879713013761/video/1

I absolutely love him talking about it being 'sombre' on Monday with a fuck off big 'totally getting laid' grin on his face.
    They're going to screw each other senseless tonight.
    Its not even a subtle undertone in that interview.

Edit - and then he finds out she likes to smoke a pipe in the bath after sex and it all gets hella weird
  • Options

I wonder if you took a random British aristo family, whether the “quality” would be better or worse than the Windsors.

Only the late Queen, Princess Anne, William and Kate really cut the mustard,

The others are either quite notably thick, feckless and useless.

The more I’ve seen of Edward the more impressed I’ve been. He’s a little beta, possibly, but he’s a kind man who serves diligently. I’d also put the Gloucesters in the credit column.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,933
    IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

ohnotnow said:

Oooh, "after studies," by third parties. Must be fine, then. No need for further research.

Read this

https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/news/articles/how-weed-became-new-oxycontin-marijuana-psychosis-addiction

The link between high strength cannabis and psychosis is about as well established as tobacco smoking - lung cancer. What we should be doing is learning from other peoples' mistakes.
    I gave up smoking cannabis in the early 2000s because it suddenly jumped in strength. Back when I started smoking as a kid in the 90s, it was a mild, giggly high - very comparable to being drunk. It was a sociable high, too. You'd want to chat and joke and have fun with your mates. Something changed I would say around 2003-ish. All of a sudden the only weed available was "hydroponic" stuff that two tokes on would render you unable to talk or move for half an hour or so, and all you could do was watch telly "monged out" which was no fun at all.

I'm betting there is probably a decent market for the mild, slightly drunken, giggly weed of the past, which I might actually prefer to a couple of pints. The type of full-strength, chemical cosh weed of the last couple of decades is the difference between small beer and the horrors of gin lane. Legalization with proper strength advisory on the packet would probably see a lot of people choosing lighter varieties. The way far more beer is sold than special brew.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108

Taz said:

Just back from an enjoyable afternoon on the Common, watching my town Marlborough's rugby team thump Newbury by over forty points. It was a pretty impressive score given they beat us home and away last season and finished above us in the league.

Seven of our starting XV today are Pacific Islanders and the four of them in the scrum are built like Vunipolas. We really don't look like a small Wiltshire town team. The standard of rugby is pretty damn good too.

Marlborough is not far from Aldbourne. Visited it a few times. They filmed a Dr Who story there in 1970.
    I lived in Baydon for a little while. It's the nearest village to Aldbourne, about quarter of a mile away. I didn't know they'd filmed a Dr Who there, but did know that the US 101st Airborne Division (The Screaming Eagles) were based there before Normandy
    Given his views on France I am astonished to learn @TheScreamingEagles had anything to do with Normandy.
  • Options

I wonder if you took a random British aristo family, whether the “quality” would be better or worse than the Windsors.

The more I’ve seen of Edward the more impressed I’ve been. He’s a little beta, possibly, but he’s a kind man who serves diligently. I’d also put the Gloucesters in the credit column.
    The Gloucesters > the Kents
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,848
    EXCLUSIVE: Liz Truss's chief of staff has been interviewed by FBI agents about an alleged criminal plot to bribe a politician and influence a US election

Mark Fullbrook quizzed this year after detectives made secret request via Metropolitan Police and NCA
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/no-10-chief-of-staff-in-fbi-inquiry-over-election-bribe-in-puerto-rico-rrlrtzkjk
  • Options
    Peter Phillips was once 5th in line which was also Beatrices top position #random facts
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

ohnotnow said:

Read this

I don't touch the stuff myself, my body is a temple, but if the evidence of regulated use was so clear as to make it an obvious decision there wouldn't have been a spate of legalisations in the first place and it would have been reversed by now. Unless you are claiming everyone who has ever legalised it did so on the basis of no information whatsoever.
    I am sure there wasn't no science at all, but there was plenty on the other side. Plus this wasn't a scientific decision, it was made in a number of highly corrupt democracies so as well as the science, there's the voters and the big business money to consider. And there were are are plenty of scientists saying Bad idea.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,445
    thart said:

You could make the argument that does democracy even work properly when a large group of people many who have been out of the workforce for 20 to 30 years consistently swing elections

Depends whether you value wisdom and experience or not.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,494
    edited September 2022
    Scott_xP said:

There is no story like boy meets girl. Wins every time.

BTW there will be some novels; pop, chick and lit, out of all this.

• Options

algarkirk said:

Is that gobby disgrace Clive Lewis still in Labour today? Then the Labour Party leadership is weak weak weak. It’s not illegal or wrong in our free and liberal democracy to be a Republican if you want to - but you cannot be an MP and use mourning of the queen to say monarchy as symbol of duty or sacrifice ‘a lie’ - it’s just gobby grandstanding - Labour leadership are weak if he retains party whip and party membership by end of today.

I wouldn't agree with that. It's important to bear in mind always that the professed function and role of our constitutional monarchy is to protect democracy.
    Theres a distinction here between free speech, go for it Clive, and following the whip of the party that funds you and your reelection efforts, be careful Clive.
    Clive has already blown it. He’s got free speech, but he used it to say his parliamentary oath is a sham. You can hold views about transitioning the country to a republic - but you can’t rip up your parliamentary oath at this stage and remain a lawmaker and MP, can you.

Is that gobby disgrace Clive Lewis still in Labour today? Then the Labour Party leadership is weak weak weak. It’s not illegal or wrong in our free and liberal democracy to be a Republican if you want to - but you cannot be an MP and use mourning of the queen to say monarchy as symbol of duty or sacrifice ‘a lie’ - it’s just gobby grandstanding - Labour leadership are weak if he retains party whip and party membership by end of today.

I wouldn't agree with that. It's important to bear in mind always that the professed function and role of our constitutional monarchy is to protect democracy.
    Theres a distinction here between free speech, go for it Clive, and following the whip of the party that funds you and your reelection efforts, be careful Clive.
    Clive has already blown it. He’s got free speech, but he used it to say his parliamentary oath is a sham. You can hold views about transitioning the country to a republic - but you can’t rip up your parliamentary oath at this stage and remain a lawmaker and MP, can you.
    Hmm. He hasn't renounced his oath directly, but a slightly more abstract criticism, I would say. It is a bit of a grey area, but I would still err on the side of his freedom to say it, not least for the potentially stifling effect and climate on all sorts of other types of criticism of the monarchy from parliament, again on whose freedom our constitutional set-up depends.
    Oh please.

Clive Lewis has given us his Republican oath to Parliament. Does he believe this one,
    “The notion of the royal family as symbols of duty or sacrifice to the nation is “a lie” and is at the centre of a deeply unequal UK, a royal succession is as much about coercion as consent. monarchists have forcefully claimed that the royal family makes duty and sacrifice on our behalf, but we should not pretend that the reality is anything other than a lie. The role of Monarchy is merely as a national distraction, a spectacle exalted for exemplifying virtues that should be typical in public life and public behaviour. Casting such behaviour as exceptional allows the likes of Boris Johnson, Liz Truss and the economic elites they represent to break and exploit the rules for their own benefit and that of their very narrow class interest – of which the monarchy is an integral part.”

or the real one.

“I swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to His Majesty King Charles, his heirs and successors, according to law. So help me God.”

He can’t believe both can he? He is effectively no longer under parliamentary oath. He has effectively un sworn in himself.

Starmer has to act today.
    I am completely opposed to Lewis, and my main issue is the effect people like him have on the chance of a Labour government being elected when we need one.

But in a constitutional democratic monarchy there has to be wriggle room. It is fact that parliamentary legislation determines the succession to the crown, also a fact that parliament could legislate the crown away. (Also a fact that it won't, so let's not panic)

I therefore accept that you have to allow the creative space for MPs to be both loyal in oath and to be against the crown as constituted. It's the price of our excellent, much loved, ambiguous, utterly unreasonable constitutional settlement.

SKS is the big victim here.

I don’t usually disrespect posts as much as I’m about to disrespect yours, so I’m saying sorry up front, Algy.

But your post was gibberish. creative wriggleroom for MPs to be both loyal in oath and to be against the crown?

What do you think the crown is? Someone who walks corgi’s, or the law of the land?

Gobby Clive has de oathed himself. Starmer has to act to try and limit the fun Tory’s are about have with this.
    How much fun will the party led by former republican Liz Truss have? I'm guessing Number 10 will let sleeping dogs lie.
    Someone other than Truss should make the case. Whoever her equivalent of Michael Fallon is.
  • Options

@SpeakerPelosi
    Today, I am leading a Congressional delegation to Armenia to highlight the strong commitment of the United States to security, economic prosperity, and democratic governance in Armenia and the Caucasus region.

This delegation follows the 2019 passage of House Resolution 296, introduced by @RepAdamSchiff, which recognizes the murder of 1.5 million Armenians by the Ottoman Empire as genocide, and following @POTUS becoming the first president to formally acknowledge the Armenian Genocide.

It is the moral duty of all to never forget: an obligation that has taken on heightened urgency as atrocities are perpetrated around the globe, including by Russia against Ukraine.

Our Congressional delegation’s visit to Armenia is a powerful symbol of the United States’ firm commitment to a peaceful, prosperous and democratic Armenia, and a stable and secure Caucasus region.

https://twitter.com/SpeakerPelosi/status/1571135960267751427

Given that the Russian backed Armenians got royally humped by the Turkish backed Azerbaijanis a year or so ago, the US backing Armenia (backed by Russia) against Azerbaijan (backed by NATO ally Turkey) could get remarkably messy very quickly. At least on the diplomatic front.
    It isn't the only sign that Uncle Sam may be 'for turning'. We also had the US order to the Germans to delay the delivery of certain armaments to Ukraine. The statements from the US have also seemed softer than those of the UK - for quite some time. I don't know what it means, but I can only surmise that America planned a long war of attrition, but Ukraine's gains have put paid to that idea. Things are happening too fast, and the Putin alternatives aren't looking pretty. If this is so, it'll be interesting to see the sour pusses in UK politics as 'send in the SAS' becomes 'the reality is we need to work with Putin'. PB won't be short of red faces either.
    What an utterly stupid and facile comment. For most of us whether we support Ukraine or not is a matter of right or wrong not politics. If the US and the UK decide to put politics above doing the right thing then it is they - and you - who should have red faces not those of us who continue to push for supporting the Ukraine until Russia is driven out. Your moral compass (assuming you actually have one) has been well out of kilter on this for a very long time.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

ohnotnow said:

Read this

I gave up smoking cannabis in the early 2000s because it suddenly jumped in strength. Back when I started smoking as a kid in the 90s, it was a mild, giggly high - very comparable to being drunk. It was a sociable high, too. You'd want to chat and joke and have fun with your mates. Something changed I would say around 2003-ish. All of a sudden the only weed available was "hydroponic" stuff that two tokes on would render you unable to talk or move for half an hour or so, and all you could do was watch telly "monged out" which was no fun at all.

I'm betting there is probably a decent market for the mild, slightly drunken, giggly weed of the past, which I might actually prefer to a couple of pints. The type of full-strength, chemical cosh weed of the last couple of decades is the difference between small beer and the horrors of gin lane. Legalization with proper strength advisory on the packet would probably see a lot of people choosing lighter varieties. The way far more beer is sold than special brew.
    Quite so. I, or rather a friend of mine, is quite happy with largeish doses of psilocybe semilanceata but won't touch any form of cannabis now for exactly that reason, despite the one being class A and the other B.
  • Options
    Very impressed by the Queen's grandchildren at the vigil, particularly Lady Louise and Viscount Severn.

Their stance is impeccable.
  • Options
    I know the livestream has been broadcasting the 'silence' in the hall, but I wasn't ready for the news channel broadcasting 20 mins of quiet
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261

Sophie has grown into her role and comes across pretty down to earth from what I have seen.
  • Options

The Duke of Kent is a good egg but has been largely retired for a long time. Prince Michael and his wife are terrible people.

• Options
    thartthart Posts: 139
    Andy_JS said:

thart said:

You could make the argument that does democracy even work properly when a large group of people many who have been out of the workforce for 20 to 30 years consistently swing elections

My experience is the wisdom of most old people is severely limited. They have never fought in wars and have experienced 60 to 70 years of rising prosperity fot thrmselves...that colours their outlook...most still think property prices are as cheap as the 70s
  • Options
    The political big read is up. Details on the mini budget, how Truss has scrapped the No 10 morning meeting, Jacob Rees-Mogg's curious begging letter and tensions between No 10 and the palace over political stories during the mourning period
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/growth-or-bust-can-liz-trusss-bold-gamble-pay-off-9dh8w73vq
  • Options
    thart said:

Andy_JS said:

thart said:

My experience is the wisdom of most old people is severely limited. They have never fought in wars and have experienced 60 to 70 years of rising prosperity fot thrmselves...that colours their outlook...most still think property prices are as cheap as the 70s
    I am as old as the hills and I am wise as fuck. I have fought in as many wars as you have, and I am pretty much up to speed on 70s house prices.
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

Sophie has grown into her role and comes across pretty down to earth from what I have seen.
    100% agree. And they’ve raised two very nice and normal kids
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,747
    I have gays on my case. Yet again

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821
    thart said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Unpopular as this might be to say, there are statements made (on here let alone elsewhere) about Prince Andrew which are completely untethered to any of the known facts about his friendship with Epstein, the allegations made by Virginia Roberts and the investigations by the US authorities.

Being critical about his judgment and general behaviour is one thing but stating that he is a paedophile is defamatory. And such statements are not justified just because he is unlikely to sue OGH.

It’s accepted that he had sex with Giuffre when she was under 18?

In many - most? - US states I believe that counts as underage and therefore technically “pedophile” - tho of course the medical definition of this is much more restrictive and refers to attraction to pre pubescent children

So by legal standards in parts of the USA Andrew is the P word. But I am happy to be schooled by lawyers if I am wrong
    He is a disgustingly corrupt arse who has humiliated his country. Even if the p word is not technically a fit, I for one am intensely relaxed about its continued use.

Here is your weekly reminder: He will sue OGH is a theory beloved of those uninformed as to the applicable English law. The primary target will always be the actual poster. You might get into a pissing match with rcs as to whether he is going to disclose the ID of posters, but why wouldn't he? And there are posters who are relatively easily IDed from their own posts anyway.
    200k views on this video so far and Youtube seem quite intensely relaxed about it staying up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFu8P7teOt8
    Of course the age of consent varies from country to country...some countries it is 14....US is weird as there is a lot of sexual freedom but relatively high age of consent
    So goes the argument of the sweaty nonce supporters club
  • Options

The Duke of Kent is a good egg but has been largely retired for a long time. Prince Michael and his wife are terrible people.

Yes the duke accompanied HMQ to the balcony in June iirc? I meant Michael really, at least we have hever funded him
  • Options
    This tweet understates the scoop in the full thread. The UK Prime Minister's Chief of Staff *signed a proffer* with the FBI and is now a collaborating witness after previously being a subject of the investigation. And this all happened only a few months ago.
    https://twitter.com/ariehkovler/status/1571186751523225601
    https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1571183835609534466
  • Options
    Leon said:

Let us know how we can be of assistance.

I am reading Décadence Mandchoue by Edmund Backhouse. Pretty depressing stuff, but interestingly as an elderly posh Englishman writing in his old age in 1940 odd he routinely uses gay in the modern sense.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821
    Leon said:

We always suspected as such buy an alternative bag if you are not ready to come out
  • Options
    I noticed quite a resemblance between Edward's son and a young Prince William.

Zara looked like she was struggling with new shoes.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

ohnotnow said:

Read this

Quite so. I, or rather a friend of mine, is quite happy with largeish doses of psilocybe semilanceata but won't touch any form of cannabis now for exactly that reason, despite the one being class A and the other B.
    A single dose of cubensis shared with friends did more to relieve my depression than years of therapy or any manner of prescription drugs I was given. That something utterly non-addictive and gives so much relief is classed in the same category as heroin and crack beggars belief.
  • Options
    alednamalednam Posts: 185
    I'm afraid that if you asked the over 40s whether they supported the monarchy when they were 21 years old, a very good number would say No. It can seem that the monarchy grows on one with age.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

This tweet understates the scoop in the full thread. The UK Prime Minister's Chief of Staff *signed a proffer* with the FBI and is now a collaborating witness after previously being a subject of the investigation. And this all happened only a few months ago.
    https://twitter.com/ariehkovler/status/1571186751523225601
    https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1571183835609534466

Carry on Number 10!
  • Options
    Re: Mark Fullbrook & background as to why the FBI?

(from August but non-paywall)

Sarawakreport.org - The implications of yesterday’s scandalous revelations about the relationship between Britain’s most powerful firm of political lobbyists and a fugitive Venezuelan banker charged with bribing US politicians have yet to be fully absorbed.

It is crystal clear from the criminal indictment, laid before the High Court in Puerto Rico on Thursday after the arrest of the former Governor Wanda Vazquez on bribery charges, that the UK company CT Group knew it was breaking US election laws by accepting a lucrative contract from a foreign national to help the Governor’s election campaign (she ultimately lost in the primary).

The banker, Julio Herrera-Velutini. who is on the run from his own country where he is charged with financial fraud, does not have US citizenship. This means that he is not allowed under US law to fund any election activities either in cash or in kind. . . .

SSI - Way more you can check out for yourselves.

https://www.sarawakreport.org/2022/08/the-uks-lobbying-lordships-racket-has-to-stop/
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,726
    It’s bizarre how in what would appear a much more liberal and less religious UK the subject of cannabis legalization goes nowhere whilst across the pond many US states have legalized it . Not just blue states but also in Montana .

• Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    I can't believe Truss would hire a chief of staff with serious baggage so she must have done the necessary checks.

Unless she is completely mad.........
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,478
    Before marijauna was legalized in Washington state, there were more "medical" marijuana outlets than Starbucks coffee shops in Seattle. You could walk into some of them, get diagnosed, pay the doctor, and walk out with a "prescription".

It was official city policy there not to prosecute marijuana use.

And on the day the state legalized it, the Seattle city attorney went out during his lunch hour and purchased some. Pete Holmes wasn't much of a city attorney, and was replaced at the last election by Ann Davison. (It's not a partisan position, but she had run earlier for lieutenant governor of the state, as a Republican. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ann_Davison_(politician) )

From what I can tell from across Lake Washington, she is doing a far better job that he did. (It may be mean of me, but I can't help wondering whether he ingested enough marijuana to damage his ability to think clearly.)

• Options
    nico679 said:

It’s bizarre how in what would appear a much more liberal and less religious UK the subject of cannabis legalization goes nowhere whilst across the pond many US states have legalized it . Not just blue states but also in Montana .

In the UK we have the worst of all possible worlds - the police will never prosecute you for it (heck, they wouldn't even want the paperwork on a caution if you were caught with a kilo of it), so it is effectively decriminalised.

But it is decriminalised in such a way supply is still left in the hands of the gangs and still favours pushing extra-extra-strength harmful stuff that is more addictive and potent.

Far better to actually license and regulate rather than decriminalise in the way we have.
  • Options

I've probably spent 6-8 hours watching the live feed of the lying-in-state on BBC Parliament over the last few days.

The old veteran rigidly standing to attention, before delivering a perfect salute. An ordinary middle-aged woman curtesying and then silently mouthing "thank you" at the catafalque. A chubby tattooed man welling up and doing a deep bow. The ex-Gurka genuflecting whilst doing a buddist prayer to her. Some ladies totally distraught by the sight, and needing to be escorted through. The absolutely metronomic regulatory of the guard change every 20 minutes, like a perfectly kept train timetable, with the banging of the staff on the ancient stone of Westminster Hall and the perfectly executed ritual in otherwise near total silence.

I can't explain why I find it so addictive, I just do.

Yesterday I was working on the computer, and decided to check out the live (or close to it) feed of The Queue paying respect to QEII in Westminster Hall.

But when I started looking, only thing to see was the roof.

Then remembered that The Queue and live coverage were scheduled to pause at 3am London time for tiding up (the carpet mostly I'd guess). So left the thing on, but hidden, and started working on some work.

Then I heard several bangs coming from my computer speaker. And realized (somehow) that this was coming from the live feed from Westminster Hall. And when I looked, sure enough I saw the resumption of The Queue.

All this reminds me very much of the mourning for President Kennedy in US in 1963. Was just a kid, and did NOT make it to Washington, DC. But we watched coverage on TV, which is what I'm reminded of now.
  • Options

I've probably spent 6-8 hours watching the live feed of the lying-in-state on BBC Parliament over the last few days.

The old veteran rigidly standing to attention, before delivering a perfect salute. An ordinary middle-aged woman curtesying and then silently mouthing "thank you" at the catafalque. A chubby tattooed man welling up and doing a deep bow. The ex-Gurka genuflecting whilst doing a buddist prayer to her. Some ladies totally distraught by the sight, and needing to be escorted through. The absolutely metronomic regulatory of the guard change every 20 minutes, like a perfectly kept train timetable, with the banging of the staff on the ancient stone of Westminster Hall and the perfectly executed ritual in otherwise near total silence.

We got in at 9am so 13 hours. Saw the guards changing - there are 2 police now, I guess after yesterday.

First thought walking down the stairs was not to do something stupid. Then my focus really went to the beefeaters and guardsman who were so stock still that they looked madam tussauds models

After the guard changed we went together and both bowed. I expected to feel a lot more emotional than I did. I think the fact that it was covered with the cloth made it look a lot more like a museum artifact than a coffin.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,494

Agree. It's lots of things. Partly an 'art film' being created at random in real time - Warhol would understand. and it's a mixture of the feelings evoked about the UK and its nations by Orwell, Priestley, Chesterton and Norman Collins.

Pre invasion Tibet? Yeats's Sailing to Byzantium? Jerusalem the Golden? The tomb of Cyrus? Ozymandius? A Cistercian monastery?

• Options
    thart said:

Andy_JS said:

thart said:

You really do not a clue

I and my family sheltered under a steel table in our house in Manchester when one of Hitler's bombs stopped overhead and we were petrified as it fell to ground killing 6 of our neighbours

We experienced rationing and really struggled on less than a £1,000 a year in the years after we married

Indeed life was not anything like the nonsense you state and frankly your posts are intended to be divisive and I have said in the past you are best ignored as you seek division
  • Options

Before marijauna was legalized in Washington state, there were more "medical" marijuana outlets than Starbucks coffee shops in Seattle. You could walk into some of them, get diagnosed, pay the doctor, and walk out with a "prescription".

And on the day the state legalized it, the Seattle city attorney went out during his lunch hour and purchased some. Pete Holmes wasn't much of a city attorney, and was replaced at the last election by Ann Davison. (It's not a partisan position, but she had run earlier for lieutenant governor of the state, as a Republican. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ann_Davison_(politician) )

From what I can tell from across Lake Washington, she is doing a far better job that he did. (It may be mean of me, but I can't help wondering whether he ingested enough marijuana to damage his ability to think clearly.)

Big mistake to legalise it in my opinion. We've made the right decision in the UK in keeping it illegal.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,152
    I really feel for Edward's boy, 15, standing vigil for his grandmother. Kudos to him. Tough losing a grannie at that age - and then mourning publicly.

I know they all wanted to do this and it is only for a few minutes. But, not for the first time, I feel there is something cruel in the way we expect to view other people at a time of grief and shock and sadness when a part of them must want to just curl up under the duvet and wish it weren't happening.

It's at times like these when you realise that the performing bear aspect of monarchy comes at some cost to real human beings just like us.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,116
    Andy_JS said:

Big mistake to legalise it in my opinion. We've made the right decision in the UK in keeping it illegal.
    Drugs policy in the U.K. is a mess. Have met David Nutt several times and talks a lot of sense. Politicians make knee jerk decisions without ever understanding science about drugs and harms.
  • Options

Don't think it was marijuana that Pete Holmes ingested. More likely it was ibogaine, which fans of Hunter S. Thompson will remember from his epic "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail".

Which is why he came in THIRD in the primary, and was thus eliminated from general election ballot, behind both Ann Davison AND an advocate of not just defund the police, but also abolish the jails.

As for Davison, I agree she'd doing a better job than her predecessor as City Attorney, in line with what she campaigned on, and why she got elected DESPITE her Republican connection. AND why yours truly was one of the majority of Seattle voters last year who voted for her.

Large part of her success (so far) is that she is NOT pursing a overtly partisan agenda (ditto) but rather applying herself to doing her job.
  • Options
    nico679 wonders why marijuana has been legalized in many American states. Three reasons occur to me: As Tom Wolfe explained in his curious collection, "In Our Time", too many children of wealthy people kept getting busted. (pp. 5-6)

And our journalists have been reluctant to describe the scientific findings on its ill effects. (As a group, they are much less diverse than journalists in the UK, as far as I can tell. There are, for example, no newspapers equivalent to your Telegraph and Daily Mail, for instance.)

And then there are somewhat stronger libertarian beliefs here.
  • Options

We got in at 9am so 13 hours. Saw the guards changing - there are 2 police now, I guess after yesterday.

First thought walking down the stairs was not to do something stupid. Then my focus really went to the beefeaters and guardsman who were so stock still that they looked madam tussauds models

After the guard changed we went together and both bowed. I expected to feel a lot more emotional than I did. I think the fact that it was covered with the cloth made it look a lot more like a museum artifact than a coffin.
    Well done Gareth.

In my experience, the emotion comes after - there was too much going on for my brain to fully process at the time and it took me time to digest.

The memory, weirdly, actually grows and becomes stronger afterwards.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,452
    algarkirk said:

Scott_xP said:

There is no story like boy meets girl. Wins every time.

BTW there will be some novels; pop, chick and lit, out of all this.

There’s surely something evolutionary about the vicarious happiness people get from seeing two young people evidently falling in love. (But having to be “sombre” because of the Queen).

Seeing the survival of the species assured for a further generation, perhaps.

Also a bit of a whiff of Gavin and Stacey with the accents in the interview.

• Options

Andy_JS said:

Drugs policy in the U.K. is a mess. Have met David Nutt several times and talks a lot of sense. Politicians make knee jerk decisions without ever understanding science about drugs and harms.
    I remember Nutt was fired by Blair for coming to conclusions he didn’t like .
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Andy_JS said:

Exactly. Can’t have independent advisors who don’t toe the party line…
  • Options
    edited September 2022

nico679 wonders why marijuana has been legalized in many American states. Three reasons occur to me: As Tom Wolfe explained in his curious collection, "In Our Time", too many children of wealthy people kept getting busted. (pp. 5-6)

And our journalists have been reluctant to describe the scientific findings on its ill effects. (As a group, they are much less diverse than journalists in the UK, as far as I can tell. There are, for example, no newspapers equivalent to your Telegraph and Daily Mail, for instance.)

Those libertarian beliefs don't seem to extend to having a relaxed attitude towards tobacco smoking and allowing 18 year olds to drink alcohol.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Andy_JS said:

For saying horses are more dangerous than mdma. NB though he is a lsd and psilocybin kinda guy, says v little about cannabis.
  • Options

I can't believe Truss would hire a chief of staff with serious baggage so she must have done the necessary checks.

I wonder. Might an ethics advisor help in such situations?

Poor old Lizzie will have to sort this out for herself. But this will be no problem because, as she put it so eloquently, she knows the difference between right and wrong.

** File under 'one to watch' **
  • Options
    Leicester..... oh dear
  • Options

Plus fact (others may challenge this, but believe it is true) that legalization of marijuana in WA State has DECREASED access to pot by minors, while providing tax revenues to state and local governments, and legal business opportunities, for example in many agricultural communities. PLUS product sold legally is subject to regulation AND testing, to benefit of consumers and others indirectly affected.

Though I am personally biased!
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    Goodness me Leicester City are poor.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

nico679 said:

Andy_JS said:

For saying horses are more dangerous than mdma. NB though he is a lsd and psilocybin kinda guy, says v little about cannabis.
    Yes he strongly believes in the benefits of lsd and psilocybin, and currently lots of interest is firing up in this area, but it’s still a struggle to overcome the bullshit politics.
  • Options

In terms of your last sentence thank heavens ! I view the DM and DT as a stain on the news media ! Anyway in terms of your first two reasons . I think certainly Wolfe had a point ! , in terms of the ill effects , in terms of strength now this has changed and the potency would be an issue for those younger but equally by legalizing it you can reduce that . You’re also less likely to move onto stronger drugs if your port of call is a shop rather than dealer . I tend to find the debate over drugs in the UK very frustrating as there’s little grey and a lot of black and white .
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Goodness me Leicester City are poor.

On track to concede 119 goals this season
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Poor old Lizzie will have to sort this out for herself. But this will be no problem because, as she put it so eloquently, she knows the difference between right and wrong.

She’s lucky this is happening during a busy news week. It’ll pass without trace. The people who notice are those who wouldn’t vote for her anyway.
  • Options

Normal rules don't apply to them. So they think anyway, and we let them believe it for far too long before we finally get annoyed enough to hold them accountable.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Except it's not really illegal in the UK, is it? If you want to buy some, anyone under the age of 25 will be able to sort you out in about 15 minutes or failing that, the dark web will deliver some to your door in 48 hours. And the police will do nothing about it. Around 2.6m people in the UK use marijuana (I'm not one of them!) in any given year, for which there are approximately 15,000 prosecutions. Compare that to the 85,000 people prosecuted annually for drink driving (never mind drunk and disorderly, and all manner of other violence in which alcohol is involved).

It may be de jure illegal, but for anyone over the age of 13, marijuana is de facto as easy (and consequence free) - as getting a drink or cigarettes.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Cyclefree said:

She’s lucky this is happening during a busy news week. It’ll pass without trace. The people who notice are those who wouldn’t vote for her anyway.
    So you think the FBI interviews the PM's CoS - and that's the end of it, for her & him?

Somehow doubt that.
  • Options

Leon said:

We always suspected as such buy an alternative bag if you are not ready to come out
    .....yet!
  • Options

Plus fact (others may challenge this, but believe it is true) that legalization of marijuana in WA State has DECREASED access to pot by minors, while providing tax revenues to state and local governments, and legal business opportunities, for example in many agricultural communities. PLUS product sold legally is subject to regulation AND testing, to benefit of consumers and others indirectly affected.

This is a topic I just can’t make my mind up about.

The pro legalisation bit of my brain says something along the lines above. In alcohol terms it’s like there’s a load of home distilled meths adulterated spirit being sold illegally and people are dying of it, so legalise and everyone will be sipping wine in pavement cafes.

The abolitionist in me says there are a lot of young people who don’t touch the stuff now because they’re terrified of being caught, but they’d happily take it if it were legal.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,584
    alednam said:

I'm afraid that if you asked the over 40s whether they supported the monarchy when they were 21 years old, a very good number would say No. It can seem that the monarchy grows on one with age.

Other way round for some. Increasing exposure, wisdom and experience.
  • Options

TimS said:

Cyclefree said:

So you think the FBI interviews the PM's CoS - and that's the end of it, for her & him?

Somehow doubt that.
    I hope not, but if there were ever a week to bury bad news it’s this week.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

I've listened to Nutt many times and disagree with most of what he says. But he's worth listening to.
  • Options
    TimS said:

The pro legalisation bit of my brain says something along the lines above. In alcohol terms it’s like there’s a load of home distilled meths adulterated spirit being sold illegally and people are dying of it, so legalise and everyone will be sipping wine in pavement cafes.

The abolitionist in me says there are a lot of young people who don’t touch the stuff now because they’re terrified of being caught, but they’d happily take it if it were legal.
    The trouble is meths is as legal as anything else in some states and still freely available on the black market in others.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I was looking at the list of dignitaries for the funeral on Monday (sadly, I was not on the list), and did like a slightly sarcastic parenthesis in the section on those note invited.

A delegation representing the Republic of China (ROC, Taiwan) was also not invited to the funeral because the UK has no official diplomatic relations with the ROC (though the Prime Minister of Palestine was invited despite the UK having no official diplomatic relations with the State of Palestine)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dignitaries_at_the_state_funeral_of_Elizabeth_II
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077

We experienced rationing and really struggled on less than a £1,000 a year in the years after we married

With all due respect, that in of itself means nothing unless you can tell us the value of that £1,000 in today's money.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Do such young people exist in significant numbers anywhere apart from the imaginations of their parents and grandparents?

When I was growing up I tried a limited range of drugs for a limited time span. I was concerned about the quality of the drugs, and even tangential involvement with the people who sold them but not particularly about getting caught.

A quarter of young people today already abstain from alcohol mainly because they are more concerned about their health. They are far more informed than previous generations.

The idea that there are loads of young people who would be addicted to drugs if they were legal but not if they are illegal seems unlikely to me. The exception would be if we went completely free market and start allowing the drugs as football team sponsors with mainstream adverts all over the place. Sure, that would be stupid and have an impact.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    Cars cause road accidents. Make cars a class A drug, now.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Cyclefree said:

That rather depends on what happens to the investigation. Which is out of her hands.

• Options
    EPG said:

Hard to smuggle one into a nightclub though?
  • Options
    TimS said:

America proved pretty conclusively, during 1920s, that prohibition of alcohol was NOT a good idea, instead of curbing consumption it increased it.

And America's repeat of "the Great Experiment" with (other) drugs have been no more successful. Rather, pretty much the same thing happened.

In case of alcohol, US went from near-total prohibition to adopting the UK & Scandinavian model: high degree of regulation, aimed at preventing consumption (in US anyway) by minors (or even young adults) AND curbing adverse consequences, in particular automobile accidents.

Now in US, we are doing the same with marijuana: moving from total prohibition (in law but not fact) to high regulation. On a state-by-state basis which considerable variation - same as with alcohol.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001

EPG said:

A kit car perhaps.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Are you lurking BJO? Get ready for the Opinium. A one point Labour lead for Starmer to take into his conference.

Opini yum yum for some.
  • Options

Are you lurking BJO? Get ready for the Opinium. A one point Labour lead for Starmer to take into his conference.

Opini yum yum for some.

:lol:
  • Options
    EPG said:

EPG said:

A kit car perhaps.
    Or a ket car?
  • Options
    Just to add one more complexity to American drug policies, let me mention the Religious Freedom Restoration Act: "The Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment states that Congress shall not pass laws prohibiting the free exercise of religion. In the 1960s, the Supreme Court interpreted this as banning laws that burdened a person's exercise of religion (e.g. Sherbert v. Verner, 374 U.S. 398 (1963); Wisconsin v. Yoder, 406 U.S. 205 (1972)). But in the 1980s the Court began to allow legislation that incidentally prohibited religiously mandatory activities as long as the ban was "generally applicable" to all citizens.

But "generally applicable" bans frequently conflicted with Native American religious practice. Often, government projects required acquisition of sacred grounds necessary for Native American rituals.[8] Ritual peyote use infringed on the federal war on drugs. And the American Indian Religious Freedom Act, which Congress had passed to protect tribal religious freedoms, lacked an enforcement mechanism."
    source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_Freedom_Restoration_Act

When two "Native Americans" were fired from a rehab clinic, after using peyote in a religious ceremony, Congress was outraged and passed the act - with extraordinarily wide support: "The Smith decision outraged the public. Groups representing all points on the political spectrum (from the liberal American Civil Liberties Union to the conservative Traditional Values Coalition) and a wide variety of religions (i.e. the Christian Legal Society, the American Jewish Congress, the Baptist Joint Committee for Religious Liberty, and the National Association of Evangelicals) agreed that the law required reform, and recommended reinstating the Sherbert Test. In response, Congress passed the RFRA, unanimously in the House and 97-to-3 in the Senate. The bill was then signed by U.S. President Bill Clinton."

(Fortunately, the Aztec religion has few adherents in the US so, as far as I know, no one here has tried to legalize some of their more radical religious practices.)
  • Options

With all due respect, that in of itself means nothing unless you can tell us the value of that £1,000 in today's money.
    according to something called cpi inflation calculator:

£100 in 1950 is equivalent in purchasing power to about £3,808.65 today, an increase of £3,708.65 over 72 years. The pound had an average inflation rate of 5.19% per year between 1950 and today, producing a cumulative price increase of 3,708.65%.
  • Options
    edited September 2022

I am struck by my parents tales of having very little money back in the late sixties. Dad was in the police, but they were not flush. They went six months without going out once. Not once.
    I get that times are different but I do hear younger folk moaning about not being able to buy houses and I sympathise a lot, but also sometimes you need to take hard choices. It’s not simple, for sure, but you have horse on here with his new iPhone wailing about not being able to get his own place and wonder. I also suspect the younger generations expect their first homes to be as nice as the ones they grew up in, and don’t realise what their parents went through at their age.
    There are big issues with housing for sure, but people can do more to help themselves.
  • Options

(Fortunately, the Aztec religion has few adherents in the US so, as far as I know, no one here has tried to legalize some of their more radical religious practices.)

Delicately put! I'm not sure what Quetzalcoatl would require thesedays.
  • Options

EPG said:

EPG said:

A kit car perhaps.
    Or a ket car?
    Khat car.

I have done khat in Ethiopia. Accurately described by someone as spending all day eating a privet hedge to get approximately the buzz of 2 espressos.
  • Options

Just to add one more complexity to American drug policies, let me mention the Religious Freedom Restoration Act: "The Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment states that Congress shall not pass laws prohibiting the free exercise of religion. In the 1960s, the Supreme Court interpreted this as banning laws that burdened a person's exercise of religion (e.g. Sherbert v. Verner, 374 U.S. 398 (1963); Wisconsin v. Yoder, 406 U.S. 205 (1972)). But in the 1980s the Court began to allow legislation that incidentally prohibited religiously mandatory activities as long as the ban was "generally applicable" to all citizens.

But "generally applicable" bans frequently conflicted with Native American religious practice. Often, government projects required acquisition of sacred grounds necessary for Native American rituals.[8] Ritual peyote use infringed on the federal war on drugs. And the American Indian Religious Freedom Act, which Congress had passed to protect tribal religious freedoms, lacked an enforcement mechanism."
    source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_Freedom_Restoration_Act

When two "Native Americans" were fired from a rehab clinic, after using peyote in a religious ceremony, Congress was outraged and passed the act - with extraordinarily wide support: "The Smith decision outraged the public. Groups representing all points on the political spectrum (from the liberal American Civil Liberties Union to the conservative Traditional Values Coalition) and a wide variety of religions (i.e. the Christian Legal Society, the American Jewish Congress, the Baptist Joint Committee for Religious Liberty, and the National Association of Evangelicals) agreed that the law required reform, and recommended reinstating the Sherbert Test. In response, Congress passed the RFRA, unanimously in the House and 97-to-3 in the Senate. The bill was then signed by U.S. President Bill Clinton."

Why do you write "Native Americans" in quotes? They weren't?

OR are you just distinguishing them from people of any ethnicity who happen to be born in USA?
  • Options

I am struck by my parents tales of having very little money back in the late sixties. Dad was in the police, but they were not flush. They went six months without going out once. Not once.
    I get that times are different but I do hear younger folk moaning about not being able to buy houses and I sympathise a lot, but also sometimes you need to take hard choices. It’s not simple, for sure, but you have horse on here with his new iPhone wailing about not being able to get his own place and wonder. I also suspect the younger generations expect their first homes to be as nice as the ones they grew up in, and don’t realise what their parents went through at their age.
    There are big issues with housing for sure, but people can do more to help themselves.
    Forgoing an iphone won't get you very far. Nor will not going on holidays. Young people may not be scrimping and saving religiously, but prices should still not be as out of reach as they are.
  • Options

TimS said:

Do such young people exist in significant numbers anywhere apart from the imaginations of their parents and grandparents?

When I was growing up I tried a limited range of drugs for a limited time span. I was concerned about the quality of the drugs, and even tangential involvement with the people who sold them but not particularly about getting caught.

A quarter of young people today already abstain from alcohol mainly because they are more concerned about their health. They are far more informed than previous generations.

The idea that there are loads of young people who would be addicted to drugs if they were
    legal but not if they are illegal seems unlikely
    to me. The exception would be if we went
    completely free market and start allowing the
    drugs as football team sponsors with
    mainstream adverts all over the place. Sure, that would be stupid and have an impact.
    You may be right. But I was one of them, not just because of the risk of being caught but the thought of how my parents would react.

Other things I didn’t dare do because my mother would have freaked include riding a motorbike and getting a tattoo.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    edited September 2022
    alednam said:

People always get more conservative as they age. The Tories have always polled better with over 65s than under 25s and Labour have always polled better with under 25s than over 65s.

Though note on this poll the monarchy even leads with under 25s
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Forgoing an iphone won't get you very far. Nor will not going on holidays. Young people may not be scrimping and saving religiously, but prices should still not be as out of reach as they are.
    No, I agree the prices are too high. But if you already have a phone, why get a new one? It’s a completely different mindset.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,440

Gadgets are cheap now, holidays too. Houses not so much. (15% rise in the last year).

Its difficult to act like your parents when house to income ratio is ~6:1 compared to 2.5-3:1. And rent is so much higher.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIish2 - Here's a study of drivers and marijuana in Washington state that you may want to look at: https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.gov/files/812299-washingtonstatedrugstudy.pdf

(I took a few minutes to glance through it and didn't see any glaring problems.)
This discussion has been closed.