Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A significant proportion of Brits don’t support the monarchy – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,905
    Eabhal said:

I am still in the queue in Edinburgh. It's actually really fun - Salvation Army, police all having a good time.

2.5 hours to go. Roughly 5.5 hours in total.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    The Queen's children carried out the traditional Vigil of the Princes around the coffin of their late mother in St Giles' Cathedral, Edinburgh, earlier this evening.

The symbolic move sees four people position themselves at each side of the coffin to stand guard for a short time - today's event lasted 10 minutes.

Come on, they coudl at least do it overnight or something!
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,340
    kle4 said:

ping said:

Hmm.

Actually I think I regret my last post. He’s a chap who has just lost his mum. It’s a bit scummy posting about his medals, even if the absurdity is amusing.

I’d delete my post if I could.

It is not his fault he is expected to dress up like this to be honest.

The public expect it.
    Look, if I must live under aristocratic elites the least they can do is dress like prats in public for me.
    Was this the deal Trump struck with the American public? “Ok but only if you paint your face orange and wear a 3ft tie”.

• Options

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    Sep 11
    Given the destruction of the Russian armies in Ukraine, is there anywhere else that should be kept an eye on that the Russians might no longer be able to defend? Georgia? China? Japan? Moldova?

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    48m
    Tonight we seem to have our answer: Armenia.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Oh. Now, this is interesting. The military turning against Vlad. Silently stopping this madness??

Phillips P. OBrien
    @PhillipsPOBrien
    ·
    3h
    This is a rather extraordinary claim that is being made today by the Ukrainians and some western intelligence--that Russia, in the midst of the Kharkiv collapse, has ceased sending reinforcements to its struggling army in Ukraine.

I have seen that being posted, clearly I cant varify it but it has been mentioned a bit, so may be something to it.

Russia has supposedly raised 14 battalions of volatises who by now should be near the end of there 1 month training, and you might have thought would be used at this point, we perhaps they have deserted, Not necessarily all of them but enough to make it impractical to use.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,636
    If we had a referendum on the monarchy the result would probably be about 70% to 30% in favour of retaining it IMO. It would be around 75% to 25% in England.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    edited September 2022
    Andy_JS said:

If we had a referendum on the monarchy the result would probably be about 70% to 30% in favour of retaining it IMO. It would be around 75% to 25% in England.

It would likely be similar to the AV referendum, a big win for the monarchy with only Oxford, Cambridge, Islington, Hackney, Camden, Southwark and Glasgow and Liverpool likely voting for a republic
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

I am still in the queue in Edinburgh. It's actually really fun - Salvation Army, police all having a good time.

2.5 hours to go. Roughly 5.5 hours in total.
    Tena pants?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The Queen's children carried out the traditional Vigil of the Princes around the coffin of their late mother in St Giles' Cathedral, Edinburgh, earlier this evening.

The symbolic move sees four people position themselves at each side of the coffin to stand guard for a short time - today's event lasted 10 minutes.

It immediately made me think of the Death of Stalin.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Oh. Now, this is interesting. The military turning against Vlad. Silently stopping this madness??

Phillips P. OBrien
    @PhillipsPOBrien
    ·
    3h
    This is a rather extraordinary claim that is being made today by the Ukrainians and some western intelligence--that Russia, in the midst of the Kharkiv collapse, has ceased sending reinforcements to its struggling army in Ukraine.

I have seen that being posted, clearly I cant varify it but it has been mentioned a bit, so may be something to it.

Russia has supposedly raised 14 battalions of volatises who by now should be near the end of there 1 month training, and you might have thought would be used at this point, we perhaps they have deserted, Not necessarily all of them but enough to make it impractical to use.
    You have to think twice before sending conscripts into a meat grinder, because the public will find out.

• Options
    Re: public opinion and future of monarchy in UK, wouldn't it be prudent to await polling by Trafalgar?
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

It would likely be similar to the AV referendum, a big win for the monarchy with only Oxford, Cambridge, Islington, Hackney, Camden, Southwark and Glasgow and Liverpool likely voting for a republic
    And the micronation of peebee with its cutthroat band of agitants and malcontents
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

ping said:

I think it's fantastic that you get so many medals for dropping out of military training after just four months.

https://twitter.com/Parody_PM/status/1569411108229857281/photo/1

Cosplay Prince
    It's an ill wind that blows nobody any good....the UK might be on its uppers but te costume hire business has gone through the roof
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

And the micronation of peebee with its cutthroat band of agitants and malcontents
    TSE of course also a big AV fan as well as a republican, as in touch with the people as ever
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

TSE of course also a big AV fan as well as a republican, as in touch with the people as ever
    Yes, all the sensible policies are supported by people in diamond encrusted plimsoles
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

A year from now, I expect the 22% will increase. Doubt republicanism will be a majority view, any time soon, though.

If republicans cannot even get above 22% now Charles and Camilla have replaced the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh they may as well give up, especially with William and Kate to come
    It’s an old poll from around the time of the Jubilee, but I was surprised it was so high. I always assumed republicanism was a rare as chicken’s teeth in this country.

I would favour moving on from the monarchy now, it seems an outdated institution, although the Queen played a remarkable innings.

Are Chaz, Cammy, Wills and Kate really going to be popular as kings and queens? I’m not sure.

Moreover, it’s cruelty of the highest order having that goldfish bowl cast over baby George all his life. The whole idea is inhumane.
    It's a curious mix, political alliances. You have monarchists of the (rare) divine right type nonsense, and traditionalists, the 'ain't worth the bother' crowd and so on, and on the republican side you've got the ideologues furious at unearned privilege, to the 'it ain't fair on them' people, the 'not the modern sort of thing' approach.

Ultimately, even if it feels hard, we can break away from our unbringings. A few abdications for sake of a private life and the institution would collapse on its own.
    No, it would just go down the line of succession to the next person willing to do the role. Have you not seen King Ralph?
    Sadly not. I fear, in real life, support for an institution would wane a bit if its memebrs were deliberately jumping ship all the time though.

But perhaps we'd get back to the proper jacobean line.
    Franz the duke of Bavaria
    in a few years or probably decades the prince of Lichtenstein will be the 'rightfull' Jacobean clamant.

When the duke of Bavaria dies, he has no suns, therefor his dukedom will pass to his niece, but this clamed to the throne of England would pass to his one daughter, who is marred to the sun of the Prince of litchenstine, and they have a sun, who will when therefor inherit both Litchestine and be the rightful Jacobean clame to the throne of England.

there is a titbit you did not need to know.
  • Options
    As part of my own personal period of mourning AND celebration of QEII, am now perusing my copy of "Our Princesses and the Dogs" by Michael Chance (London, 1st ed. 1936).

A really great book, suitable for children of any age. Even republicans, provided they are dog-loving ones.

Though shudder to think what Leon's AI image-blender/grinder would do to the many excellent photos!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes, all the sensible policies are supported by people in diamond encrusted plimsoles
    How about people wot live in dozens of palaces and castles?
  • Options
    Actually surprised by this, missed it earlier - even at the younger end it is close.

Do you think it was right or wrong to cancel sporting and cultural events at the weekend due to the death of the Queen on the Thursday?

Right to cancel: 52%
    Wrong to cancel: 36%

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1569352635781554176?cxt=HHwWgICp8Yn6uscrAAAA
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    BigRich said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

A year from now, I expect the 22% will increase. Doubt republicanism will be a majority view, any time soon, though.

If republicans cannot even get above 22% now Charles and Camilla have replaced the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh they may as well give up, especially with William and Kate to come
    It’s an old poll from around the time of the Jubilee, but I was surprised it was so high. I always assumed republicanism was a rare as chicken’s teeth in this country.

I would favour moving on from the monarchy now, it seems an outdated institution, although the Queen played a remarkable innings.

Are Chaz, Cammy, Wills and Kate really going to be popular as kings and queens? I’m not sure.

Moreover, it’s cruelty of the highest order having that goldfish bowl cast over baby George all his life. The whole idea is inhumane.
    It's a curious mix, political alliances. You have monarchists of the (rare) divine right type nonsense, and traditionalists, the 'ain't worth the bother' crowd and so on, and on the republican side you've got the ideologues furious at unearned privilege, to the 'it ain't fair on them' people, the 'not the modern sort of thing' approach.

Ultimately, even if it feels hard, we can break away from our unbringings. A few abdications for sake of a private life and the institution would collapse on its own.
    No, it would just go down the line of succession to the next person willing to do the role. Have you not seen King Ralph?
    Sadly not. I fear, in real life, support for an institution would wane a bit if its memebrs were deliberately jumping ship all the time though.

in a few years or probably decades the prince of Lichtenstein will be the 'rightfull' Jacobean clamant.

When the duke of Bavaria dies, he has no suns, therefor his dukedom will pass to his niece, but this clamed to the throne of England would pass to his one daughter, who is marred to the sun of the Prince of litchenstine, and they have a sun, who will when therefor inherit both Litchestine and be the rightful Jacobean clame to the throne of England.

No, after Franz (who has a male partner and spent time in concentration camps in the war) it goes to Max his brother, its Sophie his eldest of 5 daughters who is married to Alois heir to Liechtenstein.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,905
    edited September 2022
    kle4 said:

Eabhal said:

Urine in bottles?
    No - brilliantly organised with police and ambulance on bikes, Edinburgh uni facilities open, food trucks, controlled queues through Meadows.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

How about people wot live in dozens of palaces and castles?
    TSE outranks those people, obviously
  • Options
    The origin of The Coldstream Guards lies in the English Civil War when Oliver Cromwell gave Colonel George Monck permission to form his own regiment as part of the New Model Army.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coldstream_Guards
  • Options

The origin of The Coldstream Guards lies in the English Civil War when Oliver Cromwell gave Colonel George Monck permission to form his own regiment as part of the New Model Army.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coldstream_Guards

George Monck, a man who was very good at picking the right moment to change sides.
  • Options
    Former pupil at Gordonstoun at the same time as King Charles notes he was badly bullied, Charles notably sent his own children to Eton

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-11203563/Former-classmate-King-Charles-says-badly-bullied-Gordonstoun.html
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Former pupil at Gordonstoun at the same time as King Charles notes he was badly bullied, Charles notably sent his own children to Eton

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-11203563/Former-classmate-King-Charles-says-badly-bullied-Gordonstoun.html

They don't have the sort of entrenched elitist cliques that lead to bullies there, I am sure.
  • Options
    Seems clear (or rather freaking obvious) that views on the British Monarchy can and do range the full gamut of human emotion, experience and perception.

And quite frequently (or rather generally) all within the same person - just ask us revolting Colonials!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Actually surprised by this, missed it earlier - even at the younger end it is close.

Do you think it was right or wrong to cancel sporting and cultural events at the weekend due to the death of the Queen on the Thursday?

Right to cancel: 52%
    Wrong to cancel: 36%

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1569352635781554176?cxt=HHwWgICp8Yn6uscrAAAA

The game I was interested in, cricket at The Oval, wasn't cancelled, except on Friday.
  • Options

BigRich said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

ping said:

No, after Franz (who has a male partner and spent time in concentration camps in the war) it goes to Max his brother, its Sophie his eldest of 5 daughters who is married to Alois heir to Liechtenstein.
    Thanks for the corection, I was doing typing from memory and seem to have got some detail worng,
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited September 2022
    British Salad growers are giving up….

https://www.ft.com/content/2853f30e-211d-40eb-80e1-618e27358a2c

It got me thinking…

The government, via the energy price cap, is presumably now subsidising quite a lot of illegal cannabis farms.

I dunno how they work, do they generally nick leccy?

Anyway, nice angle for a journo, if any are lurking. Perhaps an enterprising Tory MP could call for a proper crackdown? Although I guess they’re mostly liberals these days and don’t seem to worry about the weed growers/dealers and are blind to the social consequences.

Bah.

I should write for the Daily Mail….
  • Options
    It does seem like we could be seeing the collapse of Russia, that Ukraine could shortly win this war, even reclaiming Crimea and Donbas, and the fall of Putin.

Anyone going to get Sky to report any frigging news this week though?
  • Options
    Good news - Here in Seattle, air quality is much improved from the weekend, when we were choking on forest fire smoke, though overall just "moderate" and not far from being unhealthy for some, though forecast is better air tomorrow. Also, no heat wave, higher humidity AND a bit of rain (all good re: wild fires) but no thunderstorms (bad).

Bad new - on the other side of the Cascades, in Wenatchee and rest of Chelan County, about 100 miles east of Seattle, air quality is "very unhealthy" and not far in spots from downright "hazardous". Again, forecast over next few days should improve situation, but it's bad enough right now, in a lovely part of the world that is one of the jewels of the Pacific Northwest.
  • Options
    edited September 2022

It does seem like we could be seeing the collapse of Russia, that Ukraine could shortly win this war, even reclaiming Crimea and Donbas, and the fall of Putin.

Anyone going to get Sky to report any frigging news this week though?

There’s a good “The News Agents” podcast on the Ukraine situation, today.

With the excellent Gabriel Gatehouse.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-news-agents/id1640878689
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

They don't have the sort of entrenched elitist cliques that lead to bullies there, I am sure.
    Everything's relative. When I was a kid, we had two high schools in the county, and kids from the back boonies preferred the one I did NOT attend. NOT due to me personally, but instead they said the other HS was way less snobish and snooty to country bumpkins than OUR city-slicker, elitist academy.

Which was NOT Eton, not hardly. But then that institution just wasn't an option.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999

They even made the little twat go to a football match in a shirt and tie. Worse than Baby P.
  • Options
    DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    Have the late queen's other children said anything about her in public since she died, or does the king only allow himself to say stuff?
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Dura_Ace said:

They even made the little twat go to a football match in a shirt and tie. Worse than Baby P.
    I know you get off on outrage and, in fairness, you can be very funny, but…

Please don’t call a little kid a “twat.” Not cricket & it doesn’t reflect well on you at all.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999
    ping said:

Dura_Ace said:

Please don’t call a little kid a “twat.” It doesn’t reflect well on you at all.
    Stop being woke. #cancelculture is over.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,886
    edited September 2022
    ping said:

British Salad growers are giving up….

https://www.ft.com/content/2853f30e-211d-40eb-80e1-618e27358a2c

It got me thinking…

The government, via the energy price cap, is presumably now subsidising quite a lot of illegal cannabis farms.

I dunno how they work, do they generally nick leccy?

Anyway, nice angle for a journo, if any are lurking. Perhaps an enterprising Tory MP could call for a proper crackdown? Although I guess they’re mostly liberals these days and don’t seem to worry about the weed growers/dealers and are blind to the social consequences.

Bah.

I should write for the Daily Mail….

Stealing the electricity / bypassing the meter is common, I believe. Having a £10k bill in a domestic property might be a bit suspicious.

Hot roofs can be spotted by infra red cameras so basements come at a premium.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Dura_Ace said:

ping said:

Dura_Ace said:

Please don’t call a little kid a “twat.” It doesn’t reflect well on you at all.
    Stop being woke. #cancelculture is over.
    It’s just a dickish thing to say. Kids ain’t fair game, in my book.

• Options
    NYT - Ukraine’s Sudden Success Could Bolster Europe’s Support — and Morale

BRUSSELS — A sudden Ukrainian success on the battlefield provided a boost not only to Ukrainians but to their supporters in Europe, who face a difficult winter of soaring energy prices and inflation.

The ability of the Ukrainian military to use its Western-supplied arms to great advantage against Russia will likely increase the pressure on countries like Germany to supply more sophisticated, heavier weapons like tanks, analysts say. . . .

“Nothing succeeds like success,” said François Heisbourg, a French defense analyst. “It’s important to be able to demonstrate that what we’re doing over the last months leads to positive outcomes,” he said of Ukraine’s Western supporters. . . .

Alexander Rodnyansky, an economic adviser to President Volodymyr Zelensky of Ukraine, said on Monday that maintaining the momentum on the battlefield was critical because “there is increasing support in Europe, I think, as they see this,” and an understanding that they need to supply more weapons soon. . . .

Charles A. Kupchan, a former senior American official, said the Ukrainian gains will reinforce Western support.

“This shift in momentum on the battlefield, although still tentative, will buck up European resolve and make it easier for Washington to sustain trans-Atlantic solidarity on supporting Ukraine and punishing Russia’s economy.”

While the economic hit to Europe will be hard this winter and perhaps next, President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia has already used one of his last economic weapons, a near-total cutoff of natural gas to Germany.

“But the problem is more with prices now than with quantity,” said Nathalie Tocci, director of Italy’s International Affairs Institute. She noted that energy prices, while still very high, have come down a little, in part because of the efforts of the European Union and its member states to sharply reduce consumption and build up reserves.

“Putin’s played his last card. It’s done,” she said.

Carl Bildt, the former prime minister of Sweden . . . [said} “What Putin is aiming at is to break the will of the West, especially Europe and Ukraine, this winter, to make them freeze,” he said, citing Russia’s latest attacks on Ukraine’s energy infrastructure.

“But Putin is losing his weapon,” Mr. Bildt said. “And these days will encourage people to keep going.” .

The United States and NATO countries have focused until now on providing mainly Russian-made weaponry, which Ukrainians know how to use, plus carefully selected Western weapons like anti-tank rockets and more recently and importantly, long-range artillery.

With the West largely out of Russian-made weaponry, the sensitive question of supplying more sophisticated heavy weapons, like American and German tanks, will come up, Mr. Bildt said. . . .
  • Options
    Denver Broncos versus Seattle Seahawks

> first game since QB Russel Wilson left Hawks to join Broncos; he was booed entering the field, as well as when he took - and won - coin toss for Broncos.

With 11 minute left to play 1st quarter, Bronco 0, Seahawks 7
  • Options
    DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    edited September 2022
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

If he TRIED to prevent his sons from having quite so sh*tty a time as he'd had, that would be about the only thing I know of that's to his credit. He may have thought he knew quite a lot about Eton given that many of the men in the circle of those who are attached to the monarch's household went to Eton and given where Eton is located. Perhaps he was even impressed by what remained of their emotional abilities, feeling (probably rightly) that they exceeded whatever remained of his own after Gordonstoun, even if the emotional abilities of a male who has spent five or sometimes 11 or more years at ANY boarding school are usually next to non-existent compared to a typical binman's or barrow boy's. (Ask any woman who's married to one of them. The usual complaint is that it's as though they "aren't there" emotionally.)

On the other hand, perhaps he didn't give much of a damn about the raising of his children and it was Princess Diana who put her foot down.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    The temperature's going down to 5 degrees Celsius on Friday night in central England. Will be a bit of a shock to the system after the heatwave, which only ended about a week ago IIRC.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Breaking - avoid Route 66 in AZ due flooding

Bravo if this is useful for anyone else :D
    Indeed, since it’s no use to me, being many miles away. It was in the news and it can’t be often that we hear that Route 66 in Arizona is under water?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    kle4 said:

At least she is surrounded by her loved ones, and Prince Andrew.
  • Options
    Dynamo said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

If he TRIED to prevent his sons from having quite so sh*tty a time as he'd had, that would be about the only thing I know of that's to his credit. He may have thought he knew quite a lot about Eton given that many of the men in the circle of those who are attached to the monarch's household went to Eton and given where Eton is located. Perhaps he was even impressed by what remained of their emotional abilities, feeling (probably rightly) that they exceeded whatever remained of his own after Gordonstoun, even if the emotional abilities of a male who has spent five or sometimes 11 or more years at ANY boarding school are usually next to non-existent compared to a typical binman's or barrow boy's. (Ask any woman who's married to one of them. The usual complaint is that it's as though they "aren't there" emotionally.)

On the other hand, perhaps he didn't give much of a damn about the raising of his children and it was Princess Diana who put her foot down.
    Charles did not like Gordonstoun. Diana's brother was at Eton. It fits.
  • Options
    KILLER IN THE KREMLIN Chilling clues that suggest 7 Russian oligarchs were MURDERED by Putin as paranoid Vlad purges billionaire inner circle
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/18382598/chilling-clues-seven-russian-oligarchs-murdered-putin/
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

What's the problem with wearing a shirt and tie?
  • Options
    OT pc users should be aware today is Patch Tuesday so beware of large patches being applied automatically, possibly with reboots, Tuesday night or Wednesday morning.
  • Options
    Boris is 1.04 not to be Conservative leader at the next election so perhaps David Cameron did take the 1.05 last week. Note that with the election possibly not being until January 2025, and rising interest rates, the price is not especially attractive even for a near-certainty.
  • Options
    Met Police 'reminds' its officers people DO have the right to protest Royal Family during period of national mourning for the Queen after video emerges of cop approaching man who planned to wave 'Not My King' banner
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11204527/Police-insist-people-right-protest-Royal-Family-period-national-mourning.html
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,391
    edited September 2022
    Deleted.
  • Options
    Test
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Oooh. Ios16

Lockdown mode is interesting.

Still lets me post on pb.
  • Options
    Test2
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Denver Broncos versus Seattle Seahawks

> first game since QB Russel Wilson left Hawks to join Broncos; he was booed entering the field, as well as when he took - and won - coin toss for Broncos.

With 11 minute left to play 1st quarter, Bronco 0, Seahawks 7

Some of the worst decision making I've ever seen in the NFL from the Broncos
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Whose side is everyone on in the Armenia-Azerbaijan forthcoming war ?
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Pulpstar said:

Whose side is everyone on in the Armenia-Azerbaijan forthcoming war ?

Who is Russia backing, again?

The other side.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Interesting.

BBC most read story #1;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62883713

It’s story #24 on their front page.

Now, it’s 5am, so at this time of day, their ranking algo is probably getting the lowest number of hits and “most read” is a less reliable guide to which story most British people are most interested in, but still…

I recon a significant chunk of Britain is getting a bit pissed off at the blanket coverage. Fair enough, going mega for the first 48hrs, but then the BBC should have toned it down until the funeral, imo.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Note: ios lockdown mode disables the “off topic” and “like” counters under each post.

I no longer see, or indeed, care whether people love or hate my posts.

I like it this way.

It’s freeing.
  • Options
    ping said:

Interesting.

BBC most read story #1;

Now, it’s 5am, so at this time of day, their ranking algo is probably getting the lowest number of hits and “most read” is a less reliable guide to which story most British people are most interested in, but still…

I recon a significant chunk of Britain is getting a bit pissed off at the blanket coverage. Fair enough, going mega for the first 48hrs, but then the BBC should have toned it down until the funeral, imo.

Aiui this *is* toned down, following criticism of the wall-to-wall coverage of the Duke of Edinburgh's death.

That said, there is not much else going on, at least domestically, to be reported. Politics has basically stopped, although I'd like to have seen more analysis of changes at Number 10 and the Treasury. It is possible these will be far-reaching, and may be a fait accompli before anyone wakes up to them.
  • Options
    ping said:

Note: ios lockdown mode disables the “off topic” and “like” counters under each post.

I no longer see, or indeed, care whether people love or hate my posts.

I like it this way.

It’s freeing.

It stops people seeing your previous posts so easily; is that a good thing? I'm not sure. The off-topic and like counters never interested me and I can't say I look at mine. Now that I have, I see all five spam flags were for the same post last January; a post that looks innocuous to me. Off-topics are most likely fat-fingered likes, especially from those reading pb on their phones.
  • Options
    RobD said:

22% is significant polling...if you are a LibDem.

Or a Scottish Tory.
    Indeed.

The Scottish Tories are on 14% in the latest YouGov, the only pollster to correctly weigh geographical sub-samples.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,611
  • Options
    Explosions in occupied Kherson Oblast 100 km into Russia's rear - local sources

At ~1:30 EEST, residents of the areas of Kalanchak and Skadovsk heard explosions with at least one being a hit, others Russian surface-to-air missiles blowing up in the sky

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1569553962453401601
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    Trafalgar though.
  • Options
    OT older PBers will have correctly identified Hopper's Nighthawks painting in last night's University Challenge.
  • Options
    In F1 news, Williams driver Alex Albon missed FP3, qualifying and the race when he developed appendicitis on Saturday morning. It's been revealed that he was operated on on Saturday, but suffered respiratory failure. He recovered, and is expected to be released today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/62881176

Best wishes to him and for his recovery.
  • Options
    A record number of Swedes split their votes between different parties in the 3 different elections on Sunday: national, regional and local. On average, 34% voted for different parties in the national and local elections.

Party “loyalty” - voters stick with same party in riksdagen and kommunen, from most till least loyal

Left Party 76%
    Social Democrats 75%
    Moderates 69%
    Sweden Democrats 62%
    Centre Party 58%
    Christian Democrats 54%
    Liberals 53%
    Greens 43%
  • Options
    This is quite funny (sfw, requires sound):
    https://twitter.com/20thcenturymarc/status/1569310683140964358
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,124
    "Liz herself needs to say something now."

A BBC report quotes the prime minister's spokesman and a Deputy Assistant Commissioner of the Met as reaffirming the right to protest.

Of course people shouldn't be arrested for holding a placard or heckling a public figure. Apparently two or three people have been arrested for this kind of thing, and the officers involved should be given some forceful education about civil rights.

But I really don't see any indication of a wider problem related to the the persecution of republicans. I very much see a wider problem related to the supposed "right not to be offended" in general and the intolerance of social media herd mentality. But that's a problem that's been there for a while.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641
    edited September 2022
    Dura_Ace said:

I was given tickets once by a director at LCFC, for the directors box. Shirt and tie compulsory. On the other hand free sandwiches and drinks, with no queue for the bogs. Quite a novelty, but I prefer my regular seat in the stands as more atmosphere.

In other important news on the pineapple pizza debate for @TSE

https://amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/sep/12/beige-flags-the-warning-signs-that-announce-youre-too-boring-to-date
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,353
    edited September 2022

OT older PBers will have correctly identified Hopper's Nighthawks painting in last night's University Challenge.

Paxman.. No thank you. Arrogant pipsqueak..
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    Andy_JS said:

Met Police 'reminds' its officers people DO have the right to protest Royal Family during period of national mourning for the Queen after video emerges of cop approaching man who planned to wave 'Not My King' banner
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11204527/Police-insist-people-right-protest-Royal-Family-period-national-mourning.html

What is this Americanism wrt using the word protest in this way? In the UK we don't protest something, we protest against or in favour of something.
    I feel you. Debate rather than debate with is another irritating one.
  • Options

ping said:

Interesting.

BBC most read story #1;

Aiui this *is* toned down, following criticism of the wall-to-wall coverage of the Duke of Edinburgh's death.

That said, there is not much else going on, at least domestically, to be reported. Politics has basically stopped, although I'd like to have seen more analysis of changes at Number 10 and the Treasury. It is possible these will be far-reaching, and may be a fait accompli before anyone wakes up to them.
    The big domestic political story should be the complete inability of the UK parliament to adapt to circumstances and maintain a sensible schedule. It is a disgrace that between 21 July and 17 October the House of Commons will have sat for a grand total of 7 or 8 days, 2 of which were fully used to pay tribute to the queen. And then they want another break starting 9 November!!!!

It is beyond ridiculous and if the Queen were in charge her sense of duty would not have allowed it during a cost of living economic crisis and a proxy war.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,615
    The Azerbaijan attack on Armenia seems important. If (big if) the Russian Federation is to lose in Ukraine, there could be wars all over the place, not just re-heating Russia’s past frozen conflicts (in Georgia and Moldova). Chechnya could go for independence again. I am supportive of Chechen independence, but it could be a bloody road to get there.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Nigelb said:

At ~1:30 EEST, residents of the areas of Kalanchak and Skadovsk heard explosions with at least one being a hit, others Russian surface-to-air missiles blowing up in the sky

Of interest was these blasts filmed yesterday in Taganrog, Russia. It is where the Russians base their AWACS....

https://twitter.com/TpyxaNews/status/1569344737630617607

The "official" Russian line? "an S-300 system shot down a Tochka-U near Taganrog...there were no casualties or damage, and the fire was caused by debris from the downed missile."

"debris" my arse...
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

What is this Americanism wrt using the word protest in this way? In the UK we don't protest something, we protest against or in favour of something.
    I feel you. Debate rather than debate with is another irritating one.
    You should medal for raising such an important topic.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    edited September 2022
    This reminds me of the first Gordon Brown bounce.

Charles III has seen a surge of support since his mother’s death, with most Britons praising his leadership and believing he will be a good king.

The first polling on public reactions to the death of Elizabeth II finds almost nine in ten people praising her reign as good for the country, with 87 per cent saying she will probably go down as one of Britain’s greatest monarchs.

YouGov finds that initial reactions to the King’s leadership since his mother’s death are overwhelmingly positive, while people also seem confident in his wife’s role as Queen Consort.

The polling finds 73 per cent saying the King has responded well and only 5 per cent suggesting he has handled the past few days badly. A total of 94 per cent say his first address to the nation as King on Friday was a good speech, with only 3 per cent critical.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/charles-benefits-from-a-wave-of-public-goodwill-wtwvgvbtg
  • Options

Nigelb said:
    Trafalgar though.
    Yes, but even they might get the state
    right ?
  • Options
    Just 4% of Brits plan to see QEII lying in state at Westminster.

• Options

Charles III has seen a surge of support since his mother’s death, with most Britons praising his leadership and believing he will be a good king.

The first polling on public reactions to the death of Elizabeth II finds almost nine in ten people praising her reign as good for the country, with 87 per cent saying she will probably go down as one of Britain’s greatest monarchs.

YouGov finds that initial reactions to the King’s leadership since his mother’s death are overwhelmingly positive, while people also seem confident in his wife’s role as Queen Consort.

The polling finds 73 per cent saying the King has responded well and only 5 per cent suggesting he has handled the past few days badly. A total of 94 per cent say his first address to the nation as King on Friday was a good speech, with only 3 per cent critical.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/charles-benefits-from-a-wave-of-public-goodwill-wtwvgvbtg

That's a huge swing.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,179
    Gas prices continue to fall which, although it won’t affect the October price cap if this continues the forecasts for January and April will be way too high.

If this persists a glimmer of good news.

https://twitter.com/julianhjessop/status/1569418412329246729?s=21&t=-TRGLKX6L2WKiPVYHZKA5g
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

I was given tickets once by a director at LCFC, for the directors box. Shirt and tie compulsory. On the other hand free sandwiches and drinks, with no queue for the bogs. Quite a novelty, but I prefer my regular seat in the stands as more atmosphere.

In other important news on the pineapple pizza debate for @TSE

https://amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/sep/12/beige-flags-the-warning-signs-that-announce-youre-too-boring-to-date
    TSE has never been associated with beige.

• Options

'Just' 4%? I'd like to do it, but I can't really get down there to do it. The fact that 4% are *planning* to do it is quite fricking huge.

I'll just pay my respects in other ways.
  • Options

'Just' 4%? I'd like to do it, but I can't really get down there to do it. The fact that 4% are *planning* to do it is quite fricking huge.

It is around the same percentage as people who tell pollsters they have been decapitated.
  • Options

That is more than 2.5 million though!

There will be massive crowds on Monday for the funeral itself. It seems that I might be free to watch it, as looks like lots of clinical activity being cancelled. We had a straw poll done amongst staff. The admin staff and nurses are strongly for day off, not so much out of Monarchism but more due to practicalities such as child care and public transport.
  • Options

It is around the same percentage as people who tell pollsters they have been decapitated.
    A slightly larger proportion of those in this poll will actually be going through with it, I think ?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Whoever is organising this funeral are making a real pigs trotter of it. They've just cancelled three more premier league games at the week end for no obvious reason. Not being able to cope with a funeral and a football match on different days- in one case in a different part of the couintry- doesn't doesn't bode well for our new status as a theme park.

What's more If any of the postponed teams look like they're heading for the quadruple there literally aren't going to be enough days available to play all the matches
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    edited September 2022
    Foxy said:

That is more than 2.5 million though!

There will be massive crowds on Monday for the funeral itself. It seems that I might be free to watch it, as looks like lots of clinical activity being cancelled. We had a straw poll done amongst staff. The admin staff and nurses are strongly for day off, not so much out of Monarchism but more due to practicalities such as child care and public transport.
    I've booked a romantic long weekend away this weekend/Monday.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Of interest was these blasts filmed yesterday in Taganrog, Russia. It is where the Russians base their AWACS....

https://twitter.com/TpyxaNews/status/1569344737630617607

The "official" Russian line? "an S-300 system shot down a Tochka-U near Taganrog...there were no casualties or damage, and the fire was caused by debris from the downed missile."

"debris" my arse...
    On the other hand, the Ukranian forces have slowed down for other reasons...

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1569171166752907264?t=UMPtvms4xSpIPj4c6GZwbQ&s=19
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 898
    edited September 2022
    We are still in a cost of energy crisis. The price cap has not been thought through:

"For direct debit customers, electricity will be charged at a unit rate of 34p per kWh including VAT – in order to meet the requirements of the Prime Minister’s energy price guarantee" said Ofgem.

I currently pay 27.63p per kWh but if I changed to a different charge for day and night electricity charges would be 32.55p per kWh during the day and 17.18p kWh in the night.

The 23% increase from 27.63p to 34p from 1st October will not be offset by the £66/m benefit after March next year. Will the night rate now move to 34p per kWh? If it does then people who are on economy 7 or other lower night rates will see a significantly higher rise in their bills.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Are you suggesting King Charles will lose support when he fails to put himself up for election?

Yes, wait until for the moment he refuses to give royal assent to say a Liz Truss fracking bill.

#ToPlayTheKing
This discussion has been closed.