Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

LAB is grossly over-priced in the GE majority betting – politicalbetting.com

15678911»

Comments

• MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,579
    Eabhal said:

In the queue in Edinburgh. 12 hours we've been told.

The thing I would have done is to issue timed entry tickets online. This would regulate the numbers turning up, allow proper planning for the crowds and remove the need for standing in line for many hours.
  • IshmaelZ said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/prince-harry-andrew-uniform-queen-vigil-edinburgh-b2165653.html?amp

Pedo boy gets to wear uniform, Harry not. This is KC humiliating his own son in favour of his trafficky brother because that's what wounded self importance looks like.

Enough. Arsenic in his Epsom salts, and extra helpings for the Queen fucking Consort. What a monumental fucking shit.

He wasn’t in uniform at the vigil this evening.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,951

@sentdefender
    Ukrainian and Western Intelligence is reporting that Russian Military Command has not recently deployed any additional Battalion Tactical Groups into Ukraine and seems to have suspended all further Combat Deployments into the Country.

https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1569392150638460931

The Ukrainian General Staff are reporting that this is because Russian soldiers are refusing to be deployed to Ukraine. Even in units of volunteers that have been recently formed.

The Russian War effort is teetering on the brink.
    If Kherson capitulates, the Special Operation over by the weekend.

And Ukraine moves on to reclaim Crimea.

And Putin will be teetering on a sixth floor balcony.

• RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Eabhal said:

The thing I would have done is to issue timed entry tickets online. This would regulate the numbers turning up, allow proper planning for the crowds and remove the need for standing in line for many hours.
    Preventing the brits from queuing? What a monster.
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    IshmaelZ said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/prince-harry-andrew-uniform-queen-vigil-edinburgh-b2165653.html?amp

Pedo boy gets to wear uniform, Harry not. This is KC humiliating his own son in favour of his trafficky brother because that's what wounded self importance looks like.

Enough. Arsenic in his Epsom salts, and extra helpings for the Queen fucking Consort. What a monumental fucking shit.

"When Adam delved and Eve span, Who was then the gentleman?"
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,111
    Eabhal said:

How many times does it go round, or zigzag, in the Meadows? ANd does it go into Bruntsfield Links?
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Toms said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pedo boy vs being a bit of a twat, is a distinction I find very easy to make, as is my children vs my siblings. Charles is an adulterous shit, and the nation will agree with me this time next year.
  • IshmaelZ said:

He wasn’t in uniform at the vigil this evening.
    The Independent got its facts wrong and the monarchy lives to fight another day. Far enough though. Neither Andrew or Harry are serving in the military, so why should they be allowed to dress up when both have forfeited the ceremonial roles?
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,873
    Toms said:

IshmaelZ said:

Careful. There’s some on here would string you up for that one.

Toms said:

IshmaelZ said:

Careful. There’s some on here would string you up for that one.
    Some fantasise about quartering, too. And not the heraldic kind. Not acceptable.
  • MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,410

Eabhal said:

I thought the crowds are the spectacle.

It would be terribly inconvenient if only the invited turned up. Might almost be the end of it all.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,873
    Very heavy shelling tonight… in Warminster! We are just on the edge of Salisbury plain, and the recent rain means the army can get their big guns out again. Wonder if it’s Ukrainian troops out training?
  • DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    IshmaelZ said:

Toms said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pedo boy vs being a bit of a twat, is a distinction I find very easy to make, as is my children vs my siblings. Charles is an adulterous shit, and the nation will agree with me this time next year.
    A decent father would be proud of the direction Harry has moved in in the past few years. The king has no f***ing idea how to be a husband, a father, a guy who's giving a speech at a meeting, etc. His nemesis awaits and he's going to meet it before next September.

Re the television- if a large chunk of the population was still stuck on the terrestrial 5 channels I’d be less likely to support the BBC dedicating most of the day to this - because I don’t actually think the constant coverage of death and despair is particularly great for peoples psyches.

You’d have to be made of stern stuff to have gotten through the last 5 days having watched all or most of this - yes it’s a fascinating bit of history but it’s all death and endings and sadness and sorrow. At least with many more channels and online platforms now people can dip in and out of it.

Luckily as much as some appear to like to protest otherwise it is relatively easy to escape from it all.

If it hadn't been for the protesters some of us wouldn't have had anything to complain about!
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    edited September 2022
    Leon said:

For pb foodies - that dish is “deep fried homemade pork belly with lime zest and pickled chili peppers”. Eat it with superb sourdough and down it with a large glass of fine ice cold manzanilla

Everything cuts through everything else. 10/10

Costs £7

The Spanish are now the best cooks in the world. Discuss

What do you mean by "now"? Spain is not just tapas and paella. Did Ferran Adrià's El Bulli pass you by a dozen or more years back? Three Michelin Stars; best restaurant in the world; founders of molecular gastronomy. They even took Masterchef finalists there one year, iirc.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,261

To include family or not to include family in political ads?

In this area, there are three women candidates who are getting a lot of ad time, the state's senior senator, Democrat Patty Murray, Democrat Kim Schrier, the incumbent congresswoman in the swing 8th district, and Republican Tiffany Smiley, who is challenging Murray.

All three women are married (happily as far as I know). Murray has two adult children, Schrier has one child, and Smiley has three young boys.

You would not know about the Democratic women's families from their ads. Murray and Schrier never mention their husbands or children -- but Smiley's appear in most of her ads. That may be partly because she has a good story. After her husband lost his eyesight from a suicide bomber in Iraq, she had four guys to take care of, one blind, and three quite young. But Murray's and Schrier's missing families in their ads have begun to puzzle me.

(There is a detail about Dr. Schrier that may interest, for example, Dr. Foxy: In her first campaign, she was accused -- correctly as far as I know -- of refusing to accept Medicaid patients in her pediatric practice. Medicaid, of course, is the US program for poor folks.)

It's one quite marked difference between the US and UK. I can't remember the last time I learned anything about a local politician's partner or children - in fact, I don't know whether several of my close colleagues have any of either, and the general public certainly don't have any idea either. It seems intrusive to ask and ostentatious (bordering on misuse of children) to flaunt them. In the US, although as you say not universal, it seems quite common.
  • Dynamo said:

IshmaelZ said:

Toms said:

IshmaelZ said:

A decent father would be proud of the direction Harry has moved in in the past few years. The king has no f***ing idea how to be a husband, a father, a guy who's giving a speech at a meeting, etc. His nemesis awaits and he's going to meet it before next September.
    That may be true but is put into the shadow by Boris. No-one cares about adulterous prime ministers, and I doubt many more care about kings.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    edited September 2022

@sentdefender
    Ukrainian and Western Intelligence is reporting that Russian Military Command has not recently deployed any additional Battalion Tactical Groups into Ukraine and seems to have suspended all further Combat Deployments into the Country.

The Ukrainian General Staff are reporting that this is because Russian soldiers are refusing to be deployed to Ukraine. Even in units of volunteers that have been recently formed.

Someone mentioned upthread that Putin may scale down his ambitions to “the Donbass”.

But Russia already look to be retreating from northern Donbass back toward the frontier pre-February.

This is an astonishing disaster - military, diplomatic, strategic and of course humanitarian.
  • Dynamo said:

IshmaelZ said:

Toms said:

IshmaelZ said:

That may be true but is put into the shadow by Boris. No-one cares about adulterous prime ministers, and I doubt many more care about kings.
    Boris Johnson was never the Supreme Governor of the Church of England.

It is odd which bits of religious doctrines christians choose to ignore, adultery, yeah ok, homosexuality, lowest of the low.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,724
    Dynamo said:

IshmaelZ said:

Toms said:

IshmaelZ said:

What's Harry got to do with Putin?

I don't think anyone's suggested Di was shagging him.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,865
    kle4 said:

Going to be funny when an FOI reveals they took the Queen's coffin down to London yesterday and the one in Edinburgh is a decoy.

Even funnier. The King decrees that as Scotland have performed so well since last Thursday, the funeral will be held in Edinburgh.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    edited September 2022

@sentdefender

Someone mentioned upthread that Putin may scale down his ambitions to “the Donbass”.

But Russia look to be retreating from northern Donbass back toward the frontier pre-February.

This is an astonishing disaster - military, diplomatic, strategic and of course humanitarian.
    I said a few weeks ago I was planning on doing a piece on comparing Russia/Putin to Japan 1941/Hirohito/Hideki Tojo
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 4,746
    kle4 said:

darkage said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

This aged well, in the space of a weekend...

Tucker Carlson's top Russia-Ukraine war expert Douglas MacGregor, on Friday night: "This entire war may be over" soon, "right now things are going very, very badly" for the Ukrainians and they're "desperate," "they're losing once again just south of Kharkiv."
    https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1569321565531115523

Those on the American right ra-ra-ra-ing for Putin are quite a spectacle.

Reagan would be appalled.
    Agreed.
    A Ukrainian victory might also be quite consequential in the midterms, and perhaps the Presidential, too.

While Senate Republicans have largely voted to support Ukraine, there are plenty of voices on the right (Carlson, and of course Trump himself) who’ve basically backed Putin.

In any event, it’s a huge win for Biden’s foreign policy judgment.

To determine that we need to know what a Ukrainian win is. The Anne Applebaum article I linked to this afternoon is really worth a read.

How does this end? With Putin following so many of his enemies out a window? Probably. But then what? Is Russia going to tolerate hundreds or even thousands of its men being prosecuted for war crimes? Do they pay to rebuild Ukraine? What happens to Crimea? To the people they have stolen?

Even putting the outside risk of a nuclear war to one side how does this horror end?
    I honestly don’t know. It’s deeply tricky.
    @DavidL
    That Applebaum article has no answers and no insight to offer on the question of 'what happens next in the event of a Ukraine victory'. She is just suggesting that we should embrace the chaos of a collapsing Russia.

If people really think that the answer to all of this is to 'beat back Putin, get him overthrown' etc then they need to justify this by reference to what they see happening next. "Embrace the chaos" is an answer that is reckless to the point of being idiotic. Particularly given that nuclear weapons are in play.
    Whilst forward thinking is a good thing in general, I do think this is expecting a bit too much of people. Is it really so unreasonable for people to be overwhelmingly focused on achieving the first step, victory for Ukraine? That, despite excellent news this week, is not exactly guaranteed, certainly not for all parts of Ukraine to be liberated.

I mean, if I am in a rapidly sinking boat I should still be worried about what direction I am headed, but I'd be a little busy trying to stay afloat to give it much thought.
    I get that, and take some satisfaction from the setbacks that Russia are experiencing.
    But this 'victory' is also something that we have created, by providing guns and training to Ukraine, so we have to work out what the long term goals are.
    What are they? I don't think we know. Hence the idiocy of this suggestion 'embrace the chaos'.

• GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    Dynamo said:

IshmaelZ said:

The king won't last long. Harry isn't stupid and he has a backbone. He has matured amazingly since his Nazi uniform idiocy, the Las Vegas business, and Afghanistan. His spoilt toe-rag of a father will never mature.

What if...just imagine...Harry were to have written a few alternative versions of one of the chapters in his book...and he chooses the one that really gives his father the almighty kick in the b*llocks he deserves and he leaks a copy later this week? Bye-bye kingy. Bye-bye monarchy. Go for it, Harry.

All the build-up is in one direction. All the other side have got is to print articles saying trillions of admirers are flocking the streets, blah blah. They've got absolutely nothing else - oh, some stuff about the late queen. WTF has she got to do with anything?
    Sorry to disappoint but while Diana's son and heirs are in line the monarchy is secure.

As far as KCIII is concerned he's going to be an unpopular monarch but the people will tolerate him while they wait for William and Catherine - the true heirs - to ascend.
  • stodge said:

stodge said:

Everyone always asks why horse

Nobody ever asks how horse :(

Look after yourself, my friend.

Get to your happy place - May 2nd 2024, 10pm, as the chimes of Big Ben fade and BBC, ITV and Sky all announce their exit poll showing a Labour landslide.
    Hi stodge, welcome back.

Not sure if I asked you this before but are you a Labour member?
    No, my friend. I live in the most Labour of areas but I'm not a supporter.

That being said, currently, I'd much prefer a Government led by Starmer to one led by Truss.
    Ah, may I ask how you swing? You are one of the most level-headed posters here.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,706
    Dynamo said:

IshmaelZ said:

The king won't last long. Harry isn't stupid and he has a backbone. He has matured amazingly since his Nazi uniform idiocy, the Las Vegas business, and Afghanistan. His spoilt toe-rag of a father will never mature.

What if...just imagine...Harry were to have written a few alternative versions of one of the chapters in his book...and he chooses the one that really gives his father the almighty kick in the b*llocks he deserves and he leaks a copy later this week? Bye-bye kingy. Bye-bye monarchy. Go for it, Harry.

All the build-up is in one direction. All the other side have got is to print articles saying trillions of admirers are flocking the streets, blah blah. They've got absolutely nothing else - oh, some stuff about the late queen. WTF has she got to do with anything?
    If Harry did that most of the population would take the King's side and boo Harry if he ever set foot in this country again.

He would reveal himself as nothing but the petulant, rude, ungrateful, spoilt brat he is who abandoned his royal duties to run off to California with Meghan to make money off his royal fame. Hopefully after this week he will show a bit more maturity!
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,706

Dynamo said:

IshmaelZ said:

Toms said:

IshmaelZ said:

Boris Johnson was never the Supreme Governor of the Church of England.

It is odd which bits of religious doctrines christians choose to ignore, adultery, yeah ok, homosexuality, lowest of the low.
    Not true, the Roman Catholic Church never gave Henry a divorce for example and still opposes divorce
  • This thread is now lying in state.

• SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,243
    Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

How many times does it go round, or zigzag, in the Meadows? ANd does it go into Bruntsfield Links?
    It's a very slow sightseeing tour. Any enterprising locals selling tickets at the end of the queue?
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,243

Very heavy shelling tonight… in Warminster! We are just on the edge of Salisbury plain, and the recent rain means the army can get their big guns out again. Wonder if it’s Ukrainian troops out training?

Sounds like their aim is a little off if the shelling is actually in Warminster? :open_mouth:
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    edited September 2022
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/12/anti-monarchy-protester-charged-with-a-breach-of-the-peace-edinburgh-queen-death-king

“A period of quiet mourning for the Queen is fine, but using that period to cement Charles’ accession as King and cracking down on any dissent to the accession as disrespectful is outrageous.”

Couldn’t agree more.

This stinks.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    ping said:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/12/anti-monarchy-protester-charged-with-a-breach-of-the-peace-edinburgh-queen-death-king

“A period of quiet mourning for the Queen is fine, but using that period to cement Charles’ accession as King and cracking down on any dissent to the accession as disrespectful is outrageous.”

Couldn’t agree more.

This stinks.

+1
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,629
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1569364072185081862

New YouGov poll finds that 44% of people in the UK say they shed a tear or welled up over the Queen's death.

We will not have a monarchy by the time I die.

You think that's a low amount? I'm astonished it's that high. I haven't well up about it, and I am a monarchist to my core.
    Indeed, I am a diehard monarchist but did not cry over it
    Maybe I'm unusual.

I couldn't sleep Thursday night - I was up all night from 2am - and cried several times on Friday night. I found my daughter's confusion hard to deal with, and choked up at that. It happened again during the new King's speech.

I went to church yesterday and emerged red-eyed, but just about managed to keep it in check. I cried again during the TV shots of the hearse carrying Her body through Scotland.

I've had a couple of moments today when I've been close to tears. I've tried to focus on work.

I'm struggling. I keep expecting to wake up. I keep expecting to see her walk out and be told it was all just a hoax.

I want her back. And I know she never will be.
    It's ok to be a bit unusual.
    No its not, its a man in need of therapy he should go see one pronto. What he describes is not a sane response to the passing of a woman he has never met and had no ties with
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

New YouGov poll finds that 44% of people in the UK say they shed a tear or welled up over the Queen's death.

You think that's a low amount? I'm astonished it's that high. I haven't well up about it, and I am a monarchist to my core.
    Maybe I'm unusual.

I couldn't sleep Thursday night - I was up all night from 2am - and cried several times on Friday night. I found my daughter's confusion hard to deal with, and choked up at that. It happened again during the new King's speech.

I went to church yesterday and emerged red-eyed, but just about managed to keep it in check. I cried again during the TV shots of the hearse carrying Her body through Scotland.

I've had a couple of moments today when I've been close to tears. I've tried to focus on work.

I'm struggling. I keep expecting to wake up. I keep expecting to see her walk out and be told it was all just a hoax.

No its not, its a man in need of therapy he should go see one pronto. What he describes is not a sane response to the passing of a woman he has never met and had no ties with
    Never seen people get upset at the death of a celebrity before then?
  • kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Maybe I'm unusual.

Never seen people get upset at the death of a celebrity before then?
    Upset, sure.
    Angry and abusive? Not really.
This discussion has been closed.