Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The first favourability ratings on Truss don’t look good – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,870

We dodged Mordaunt, who I really liked, but who we now know would have had a very difficult time for reasons that are not her fault. We dodged Sunak, who whilst he had many personal qualities, would have taken a 'take your medicine' approach to recession and economic contraction, and been even worse. We mocked Truss (I did anyway), but actually we've ended up with someone who is passionate about our country prospering, and is prepared to have a scrap if necessary. It shows fate knows a lot better than we do at times.

Yes, I am pessimistic - as I’ve said - about Tory chances in 2024. Time for a change seems like the overriding sentiment, and I can see why

However, of all the Tory candidates Truss is the one who might just turn it around. She has a long history of being underestimated. She seems gritty, self confident, determined and not entirely lacking in charisma. If I was a Labour strategist, I’d be nervous
  • Options
    TimS said:

Risk of tactical nuclear escalation is probably the highest it’s been since March.

If Russia isn't able to use conventional tactical weapons effectively then tactical nukes won't help them much across such a big front.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,885
    HYUFD said:

Could I point out something to the ludicrous Dynamo on the last thread who wanted a referendum on the monarchy on the basis of one poll with a landslide 61% still in favour of the monarchy.

Having the best known Royal family in the world is about the only thing left we as the United Kingdom still lead the world in. It would be ludicrous to give it up

Why the fuck would you bother responding to anything Dynamo posts with anything but contempt. It’s a Troll and you can give him oxygen or stab him in the vitals. Stick to the latter.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,515

HYUFD said:

Hopefully Truss' response to this week's events will give her some gravitas. While her cost of living proposals will make a difference

I think she has been overshadowed somewhat by Boris Johnsons speech to parliament about the Queen which was one of his best .
    Are most people watching the speeches? I know lots of ardent monarchists around here, who are properly sad - as as quite a few non-monarchists - but I don't know anyone who is following all the eulogies and retrospectives - everyone says it's just too much, and *especially* when they're sad. Quite a few saw Charles, and catch oddments on the radio, but most seem to be putting it aside for
    their private lives.
    Boris was, deliciously, upstaged on humour by
    his predecessor.

Best speech remains that of Macron.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,088

HYUFD said:

Hopefully Truss' response to this week's events will give her some gravitas. While her cost of living proposals will make a difference

I think she has been overshadowed somewhat by Boris Johnsons speech to parliament about the Queen which was one of his best .
    No she wasn't.

His speech which he had clearly spent hours and hours preparing for his eulogy whilst still PM was, as you say, one of his best, but sadly for him he is now yesterday's man and it doesn't matter. He is merely a footnote in the precedings just like May, Cameron, Brown, Blair and Major.

Like her or loathe her, Truss is the one in the driving seat through the events of the next fortnight, and Johnson isn't even a passenger, he's more like a hitch hiker.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544

HYUFD said:

Are most people watching the speeches? I know lots of ardent monarchists around here, who are properly sad - as as quite a few non-monarchists - but I don't know anyone who is following all the eulogies and retrospectives - everyone says it's just too much, and *especially* when they're sad. Quite a few saw Charles, and catch oddments on the radio, but most seem to be putting it aside for their private lives.
    I have had a busy day, but it is so repetitive. What more is there to know about the most famous woman in the world?

• Options
    TimS said:

HYUFD said:

Are most people watching the speeches? I know lots of ardent monarchists around here, who are properly sad - as as quite a few non-monarchists - but I don't know anyone who is following all the eulogies and retrospectives - everyone says it's just too much, and *especially* when they're sad. Quite a few saw Charles, and catch oddments on the radio, but most seem to be putting it aside for
    their private lives.
    Boris was, deliciously, upstaged on humour by
    his predecessor.

Best speech remains that of Macron.
    Best speech was that pre-recorded by the Queen herself and aired in the Jubilee and re-aired repeatedly in recent days.

Paddington Bear, ending with a lifting of the hat and "thank you, for everything".
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,662
    I was looking at info on the Father of the House (as you do). He was elected in a 1975 by-election, the page for which has some amusing nuggets in it.

This was the first by-election the Conservatives fought under the leadership of Margaret Thatcher, who abandoned a precedent that party leaders did not campaign in by-elections, by personally canvassing in support of Bottomley.[1] Writing in The Glasgow Herald political correspondent John Warden stated that the victory would boost Mrs Thatcher by silencing "mutterings about her leadership" for at least a few months

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_Woolwich_West_by-election
  • Options
    For any who missed Mrs May's tribute:

https://twitter.com/TimesRadio/status/1568248426344730625
  • Options

The first sign of the beginning of a Truss bounce?? Or just noise......
    NEW: Westminster Voting Intention poll (7 Sep): People Polling

🔴 LAB: 40% (-2 from 30 Aug)
    🔵 CON: 28% (+3)
    🟠 LDM: 9% (-1)
    🟢 GRN: 7% (=)
    🟡 SNP: 5% (=)

So what is the other 11%?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    kyf_100 said:

darkage said:

darkage said:

RobD said:

TimS said:

Risk of tactical nuclear escalation is probably the highest it’s been since March.

What madman liked this post? :D
    Its a good point though.
    People think that 'Putin is being pushed back', and that 'Russia poses no conventional military threat to Europe'; but they just haven't thought it through.
    We have.

Putin being pushed back doesn't threaten nuclear war.

If Putin tried to suggest launching nukes when his Generals know he has lost a crazy war, he would be on a crash course of learning how to fly from an upper story window faster than you can say defenestration.
    This is complete speculation, because we know almost nothing about the generals and what is going on inside the Kremlin. Certainly there is a longstanding idea that no one would execute the order to start a nuclear war, but as for 'tactical nukes', then I think that this is actually part of Russian Military Doctrine, that they can be used to defend land that they claim; and I think this is probably behind the original comment about fear of tactical nuclear escalation.

All goes back to the discussion earlier; 'careful what you wish for'.
    Early on in the war, we were all talking about how the oligarchs wouldn't stand to see their fortunes sanctioned, how some sort of palace coup was inevitable, and so on. But all the evidence from the last few months suggests that Putin is in complete control of both government and military and nobody dares oppose him.

Would anyone in his government or armed forces oppose him if he ordered the use of a battlefield nuke? I'd argue that, based on what we've seen, no.

The question then becomes, would he be mad enough to issue the order? The answer probably lies in his calculation of what the west would do in response. Would we intervene with boots on the ground? How quickly could such a situation escalate into a full-blown nuclear exchange? If he rightly or wrongly assumes we wouldn't dare escalate, then it's his only trump card in a battle he can't otherwise win. A way to tell the world - "do as I say, because now the gloves are off".

Unfortunately I have to concur with Tims' original comment - that the risk of nuclear escalation is the highest it's been since the conflict began.
    Hard to disagree with this...

But.

I think it is China who matters here. And I think China is absolutely terrified that Russia might use nukes. Because Russia using nukes - and there being no consequences - means the Japanese and the Taiwanese and the Baltic states are all going to want nukes.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Could I point out something to the ludicrous Dynamo on the last thread who wanted a referendum on the monarchy on the basis of one poll with a landslide 61% still in favour of the monarchy.

Having the best known Royal family in the world is about the only thing left we as the United Kingdom still lead the world in. It would be absurd to give it up

FFS I thought you were a patriot?

“Having the best known Royal family in the world is about the only thing left we as the United Kingdom still lead the world in.”

What ARE you talking about? The UK is a phenomenally effective soft power, and a pretty consequential hard power - with the 6th largest economy in the world

But it’s our soft power which truly impresses, from some of the world’s best universities to the world’s most popular sports league to the home of the world’s most spoken language (which much that comes from this) to a mighty tradition in all the arts, pop music to theatre, Harry Potter to Harry Styles

You need to get out more. Only then do you realise the powerful puissant sway of that small, rainy archipelago off northwest Europe
  • Options
    Leon said:

We dodged Mordaunt, who I really liked, but who we now know would have had a very difficult time for reasons that are not her fault. We dodged Sunak, who whilst he had many personal qualities, would have taken a 'take your medicine' approach to recession and economic contraction, and been even worse. We mocked Truss (I did anyway), but actually we've ended up with someone who is passionate about our country prospering, and is prepared to have a scrap if necessary. It shows fate knows a lot better than we do at times.

Yes, I am pessimistic - as I’ve said - about Tory chances in 2024. Time for a change seems like the overriding sentiment, and I can see why

However, of all the Tory candidates Truss is the one who might just turn it around. She has a long history of being underestimated. She seems gritty, self confident, determined and not entirely lacking in charisma. If I was a Labour strategist, I’d be nervous
    You could be right, but I'm not sure there's a positive (or let's face it any) change that Starmer would bring. Even his big windfall tax just turns out to be a few more billion on top of Sunak's windfall tax. He has improved recently don't get me wrong - and he should continue to have policies. But I think Truss represents more of a departure from the Boris years than Starmer.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,662
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Are most people watching the speeches? I know lots of ardent monarchists around here, who are properly sad - as as quite a few non-monarchists - but I don't know anyone who is following all the eulogies and retrospectives - everyone says it's just too much, and *especially* when they're sad. Quite a few saw Charles, and catch oddments on the radio, but most seem to be putting it aside for their private lives.
    I have had a busy day, but it is so repetitive. What more is there to know about the most famous woman in the world?

No one could absorb all the coverage, but its a smorgasbord of monarchical content to sample from as and when the mood strikes.
  • Options
    Weather Report - Here in Seattle we are blessedly removed from the intense, persistent heat wave parked over California.

HOWEVER, we are getting some rather wacky weather of our own.

For past week it's been pretty nice, cool in morning, warm but not hot in the afternoon, often starting out cloudy (or foggy) then clearing out in late morning.

BUT in past several days, the skies have started to get a bit hazy, due to smoke from forest fires, some in Eastern Washington but most much farther afield, esp. California.

Today is different, however, because wind has shifted and now coming from north. Meaning NOT less smoke, but MORE, this time from British Columbia. And smoke is now closer to the ground AND more of it. To point where you can start to smell it when you go outside AND see the drop in air quality on various websites, such as below:

https://www.iqair.com/us/air-quality-map?lat=47.568236&lng=-122.308628&zoomLevel=10

PLUS due to shift in winds, brought on by class of weather fronts & dip in jet stream, the high temperature in Seattle for Saturday is forecast to hit 90 F or thereabouts. And remain hot through Sunday.

Good news is that yet another shift in weather & wind will mean that Monday is both cooler AND clearer, with the smoke getting pushed out.

In the meantime, here in the Emerald City, dig out your N94 masks!
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,524
    edited September 2022
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Having the best known Royal family in the world is about the only thing left we as the United Kingdom still lead the world in. It would be absurd to give it up

“Having the best known Royal family in the world is about the only thing left we as the United Kingdom still lead the world in.”

What ARE you talking about? The UK is a phenomenally effective soft power, and a pretty consequential hard power - with the 6th largest economy in the world

But it’s our soft power which truly impresses, from some of the world’s best universities to the world’s most popular sports league to the home of the world’s most spoken language (which much that comes from this) to a mighty tradition in all the arts, pop music to theatre, Harry Potter to Harry Styles

You need to get out more. Only then do you realise the powerful puissant sway of that small, rainy archipelago off northwest Europe
    It's baffling, isn't it, that we still have some of the world's best universities when they are so infested by ludicrous wokeness and CRT? At least, that's what I've read in The Spectator and elsewhere.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

No one could absorb all the coverage, but its a smorgasbord of monarchical content to sample from as and when the mood strikes.
    Yes, quite

I am abroad but I dip in and out, as and when I feel sad or curious or whatever. It’s like a 24/7 buffet of mourning, and maybe that is how it should it be. No one is forced to consume anything, but it is there if you want it

It is an epochal moment in the nation’s life, it will take time to digest
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,951
    edited September 2022
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

6th largest economy is not first though is it. Even Oxford and Cambridge are behind Stanford and MIT or Harvard in most global university league tables. More speak Mandarin than English as their first language. We have not won the World Cup since 1966 and most players in the Premier league are foreign, we just host it.

The arts centre is still Hollywood and increasingly China even if we have some good theatres and actors and musicians most Oscar and Grammy winners are still American. So yes, my point stands, we do well I many things relative to our size as you say. Yet the only thing we are still global no 1 on is the best known and recognised Royal family, as the global coverage of the last few days confirms

https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2022
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Quite glad to be working this weekend.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    Leon said:

And, she may be lucky, if indeed, the Russian army is about to be routed, and energy prices fall.

• Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    IshmaelZ said:

PB Tories will say "polls don't matter" until one shows the Tories going forward, then they will be important again!!!!

Look, either fucking engage with individual posters, or post original and interesting thoughts of your own, or fuck off. There is NOTHING more fucking tedious than non specific sniping at "pb Tories" for what you very unimaginatively expect them to say rather than anything they actually do say.
    Especially when he has a history of posting selectively on polling, only ever mentioning the bits that Labour are doing well or the Tories badly.

It's pure projection.
  • Options
    edited September 2022

Leon said:

You could be right, but I'm not sure there's a positive (or let's face it any) change that Starmer would bring. Even his big windfall tax just turns out to be a few more billion on top of Sunak's windfall tax. He has improved recently don't get me wrong - and he should
    continue to have policies. But I think Truss
    represents more of a departure from the Boris
    years than Starmer.
    I know this won’t be to your taste, but. To several million people in the professional classes a more pragmatic and constructive relationship with the EU will be change enough.

To a few million others the prospect of a bit more priority for public services over tax cuts will appeal. Now Blair is partially rehabilitated on the left they’ll be able to remind people of some of his pre-Iraq successes.

This is the risk for the conservatives. Just as Labour managed to burn its bridges with the traditional working class while piling up middle class votes in the wrong places, so the Tories may find themselves losing the red wall with their new full fat Thatcherite ideology while failing to win back the Home Counties because of their approach to Europe. Piling up votes in Essex, Lincolnshire and Medway is as inefficient as doing so in Hackney and Islington.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

6th largest economy is not first though is it. Even Oxford and Cambridge are behind Stanford and MIT or Harvard in most global university league tables. More speak Mandarin than English. We have not won the World Cup since 1966 and most players in the Premier league are foreign, we just host it.

The arts centre is still Hollywood and increasingly China even if we have some good theatres and actors and musicians most Oscar and Grammy winners are still American. So yes, my point stands, we do well I many things relative to our size as you say. Yet the only thing we are still global no 1 on is the best known and recognised Royal family, as the global coverage of the last few days confirms

https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2022
    English is a lingua franca, unlike Mandarin. English literature is pretty well dominant, across the world.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,471
    Leon said:

Anything can happen in two years. Compare 1981 with 1983.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

6th largest economy is not first though is it. Even Oxford and Cambridge are behind Stanford and MIT or Harvard in most global university league tables. More speak Mandarin than English. We have not won the World Cup since 1966 and most players in the Premier league are foreign, we just host it.

The arts centre is still Hollywood and increasingly China even if we have some good theatres and actors

Lol. I do hope you are joking. I suspect you are

No, we no longer rule 1/3 of the world. But nor does anyone else. Moreover, we had THE BIGGEST EMPIRE THERE HAS EVER BEEN OR EVER WILL BE. They can’t take that way from us, and no one will ever match it now. YAY Britain and GO England

Given the tiny size of the UK geographically and demographically, it is outstandingly consequential in world affairs

The only nation that matches us per capita or per sq km is Israel

Indeed I would say they are the two most influential races in world affairs and human history. The Jews and the English. Discuss

Next the Italians

*ducks*
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,936
    rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

darkage said:

darkage said:

RobD said:

TimS said:

Its a good point though.
    People think that 'Putin is being pushed back', and that 'Russia poses no conventional military threat to Europe'; but they just haven't thought it through.
    We have.

If Putin tried to suggest launching nukes when his Generals know he has lost a crazy war, he would be on a crash course of learning how to fly from an upper story window faster than you can say defenestration.
    This is complete speculation, because we know almost nothing about the generals and what is going on inside the Kremlin. Certainly there is a longstanding idea that no one would execute the order to start a nuclear war, but as for 'tactical nukes', then I think that this is actually part of Russian Military Doctrine, that they can be used to defend land that they claim; and I think this is probably behind the original comment about fear of tactical nuclear escalation.

Early on in the war, we were all talking about how the oligarchs wouldn't stand to see their fortunes sanctioned, how some sort of palace coup was inevitable, and so on. But all the evidence from the last few months suggests that Putin is in complete control of both government and military and nobody dares oppose him.

Would anyone in his government or armed forces oppose him if he ordered the use of a battlefield nuke? I'd argue that, based on what we've seen, no.

The question then becomes, would he be mad enough to issue the order? The answer probably lies in his calculation of what the west would do in response. Would we intervene with boots on the ground? How quickly could such a situation escalate into a full-blown nuclear exchange? If he rightly or wrongly assumes we wouldn't dare escalate, then it's his only trump card in a battle he can't otherwise win. A way to tell the world - "do as I say, because now the gloves are off".

Unfortunately I have to concur with Tims' original comment - that the risk of nuclear escalation is the highest it's been since the conflict began.

But.

I think it is China who matters here. And I think China is absolutely terrified that Russia might use nukes. Because Russia using nukes - and there being no consequences - means the Japanese and the Taiwanese and the Baltic states are all going to want nukes.
    A fair point.

Then I suppose the final question is, is Putin a rational actor or is he the type to flip the chess board and kick the table over when he loses?

Kremlinology is anyone's guess, but despite being paranoid and at times clearly badly informed, Putin still strikes me as a rational player rather than a madman.

The question is whether he will remain rational if/when it's clear he's losing in Ukraine, and what the options are for a way out of the conflict before that happens.

Assuming he retains his grip on internal power, I can't imagine the war ending without him having some way of saving face. But the Ukrainians have made it pretty clear they will fight until every Russian is pushed back to the 2014 border - rightly so. So there is a risk that Putin becomes less rational in defeat than he is behaving now.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

English is a lingua franca, unlike Mandarin.
    English literature is pretty well dominant, across the world.
    Let’s be honest though, American is the lingua franca.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Leon said:

You could be right, but I'm not sure there's a positive (or let's face it any) change that Starmer would bring. Even his big windfall tax just turns out to be a few more billion on top of Sunak's windfall tax. He has improved recently don't get me wrong - and he should
    continue to have policies. But I think Truss
    represents more of a departure from the Boris
    years than Starmer.
    I know this won’t be to your taste, but. To several million people in the professional classes a more pragmatic and constructive relationship with the EU will be change enough.
    Quite wrong - a pragmatic and constructive relationship with the EU would be fabulous, and has been lacking for the past 40 years at least. I do however feel that our definitions of pragmatic and constructive 'may vary'.
  • Options
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

The arts centre is still Hollywood and increasingly China even if we have some good theatres and actors

No, we no longer rule 1/3 of the world. But nor does anyone else. Moreover, we had THE BIGGEST EMPIRE THERE HAS EVER BEEN OR EVER WILL BE. They can’t take that way from us, and no one will ever match it now. YAY Britain and GO England

Given the tiny size of the UK geographically and demographically, it is outstandingly consequential in world affairs

Indeed I would say they are the two most influential races in world affairs and human history. The Jews and the English. Discuss

Next the Italians

*ducks*
    Jews, English, Arabs, Italians (Romans), French, Vikings, Chinese, Mongols
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,314
    edited September 2022
    TimS said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

I corrected a colleague for saying Zeeebra earlier. :unamused:
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 775
    I suspect Putin quite likes being alive.

Using nuclear weapons creates a very serious, unpredictable risk of that not continuing to be the case. The threats to him would be so numerous as to be wholly impossible to plan against.

Mass mobilisation surely a safer option if he was to escalate things.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

But that’s actually not true. It’s glib

American English and British English duke it out worldwide, I am not at all sure American English prevails indeed I’d say British English maintains a healthy advantage

See the new Game of Thrones and LOTR, the biggest new TV drama series on the planet. British accents, British themes, British stories, British actors, British English

American money, but no one cares about that. The premium version of the language is British
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

darkage said:

darkage said:

RobD said:

TimS said:

Its a good point though.
    We have.

But.

A fair point.

Then I suppose the final question is, is Putin a rational actor or is he the type to flip the chess board and kick the table over when he loses?

Kremlinology is anyone's guess, but despite being paranoid and at times clearly badly informed, Putin still strikes me as a rational player rather than a madman.

The question is whether he will remain rational if/when it's clear he's losing in Ukraine, and what the options are for a way out of the conflict before that happens.

Assuming he retains his grip on internal power, I can't imagine the war ending without him having some way of saving face. But the Ukrainians have made it pretty clear they will fight until every Russian is pushed back to the 2014 border - rightly so. So there is a risk that Putin becomes less rational in defeat than he is behaving now.
    We wouldn't go to nuclear war with Russia unless a NATO nation was hit. If Putin used a tactical nuke on Ukraine it would lead to increased sanctions and arms supplies and Russia isolated internationally but it would not lead to MAD
  • Options
    Ratters said:

I suspect Putin quite likes being alive.

He gives little impression of it.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,136
    edited September 2022

Leon said:

I rather like her. And I think she would be a good PM in “normal” times

But she is sailing into overwhelming headwinds and, after 12 years, the public wants the Tories out. That’s it. Sunak would not have done any better. The Tories are doomed

Yes, I quite like her too - she and Starmer treat us like adults at a debate, whereas Johnson treated us like kids at a circus. I think the headwinds will abate somewhat and she'll do better than expected, but not enough to win.
    I feel like I quite like her too - person not politics - but this is mainly because her being PM means Johnson isn't and the joyous relief at that is still fresh. Once it's faded I confidently expect to develop a nice downer on her.

My GE view is that it's Labour's to lose. TFAC is strong after so much toryness for so long, the economy is weak, the global winds are all blowing the wrong way, and that GE19 result was a freak, its 3 main drivers - Brexit, Johnson, Corbyn - all now out of frame.

So it's Labour's to lose and I don't think Keir Starmer will oblige. Like Clint in a spaghetti western he's lining up all the anticipated tory (and their media mates) attack lines - tax, woke, spendthrift, hate Britain, Sturgeon’s pocket - and he's shooting them down in practice before leaving the barn and making his way to town for the showdown.

"Undertaker, better make that 4 coffins"

I'm short Labour majority at average over 6 - back from last year when I held a different view - and I wish I wasn't.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

English is a lingua franca, unlike Mandarin. English literature is pretty well dominant, across the world.
    Mandarin is spoken by more as a first language than English and unfortunately wokeism is cancelling much of the greatest English literature
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Next the Italians

*ducks*
    I don't deny we still punch well above our size internationally.

Yet we are no longer a superpower or number 1 in almost anything apart from our royal family
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Mandarin is spoken by more as a first language than English and unfortunately workeism is cancelling much of the greatest English literature
    Yes, only the other day I went to read A Tale of Two Cities, and found that the book had been destroyed by the forces of Woke.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Reckon pretty similar to reaction to the death of Queen Victoria. With both better mourned than that other long-reigning monarch, George III.

BTW, doubt that "Elizabeth the Great" is anything more than temporary media bumpf.

Note that THAT sobriquet invites confusion with Elizabeth I, considering that most folks would recognize her superior claim to such a title.

Bit like Bush the Elder versus Bush the Younger?

Speaking of Elder & Younger, they used to call Pitt the Elder "the Great Commoner" until that is he was "elevated" to Earl of Chatham.

Perhaps QEI can (still be) Good Queen Bess while QEII becomes Good Queen Liz?

Or maybe just Queen of the Commonwealth.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Next the Italians

*ducks*

Yet we are no longer a superpower or number 1 in almost anything apart from our royal family
    Both you and Leon seem to be forgetting that we won the World Cup in 1966.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Next the Italians

*ducks*
    Jews, English, Arabs, Italians (Romans), French, Vikings, Chinese, Mongols
    Pretty good list. I’d go

Jews
    English
    Italians
    Greeks
    French
    Arabs
    Chinese
    Spanish
    Japanese
    Other
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    The most interesting political event in the next few days is the Swedish general election on Sunday. Looks like it could be a real nailbiter. Both main blocs are on about 49% in the polls.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Mandarin is spoken by more as a first language than English and unfortunately workeism is cancelling much of the greatest English literature
    Yes, only the other day I went to read A Tale of Two Cities, and found that the book had been destroyed by the forces of Woke.
    Give it time
  • Options
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

American English and British English duke it out worldwide, I am not at all sure American English prevails indeed I’d say British English maintains a healthy advantage

See the new Game of Thrones and LOTR, the biggest new TV drama series on the planet. British accents, British themes, British stories, British actors, British English

American money, but no one cares about that. The premium version of the language is British
    Or, by way of synthesis, America is the reason English is the lingua franca. British English is the super-premium label. Rather like Prosecco is behind the surge in sparkling wind consumption but Champagne (and ESW, and Franciacorta) remains the premium brand.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Had its title been changed to A Tale of Non-Binary Cities?
  • Options
    TimS said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

I rather like her. And I think she would be a good PM in “normal” times

But she is sailing into overwhelming headwinds and, after 12 years, the public wants the Tories out. That’s it. Sunak would not have done any better. The Tories are doomed

I am not so sure about this. The problem is always, if you look at it from a labour point of view, how do they get the numbers to get a majority? Where do they need to hold and where do they need to win?

I think that Truss could well win a general election and then do a John major and keep going for 6-7 years.
    It's a decent start by Liz in the face of exceptionally difficult circumstances.
    I think PB is perhaps in danger of overanalysing the content of speeches rather than the general mood music.

Electorate seems to be saying time for a change. And Liz has, overnight, neutralised the biggest attack line on Keir, that he’s wooden and unexciting.

On the other hand, when electorates choose to evict incumbents, they usually do it to elect someone with the opposite character flaws. Starmer (dull and worthy) would have a been a fair pick after Johnson (not dull and not worthy). But Truss is - BDSM/Finland notwithstanding - dull and worthy.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Next the Italians

*ducks*

i think you’ll find we still boast the world’s seventh biggest ship canal, so your despair is unwarranted
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Next the Italians

*ducks*

Both you and Leon seem to be forgetting that we won the World Cup in 1966.
    I mentioned that but in 1966 we also had Hong Kong and a number of colonies in Africa still too
  • Options
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Next the Italians

*ducks*

i think you’ll find we still boast the world’s seventh biggest ship canal, so your despair is unwarranted
    Again, good but 7th not 1st
  • Options
    Limited drinks and no fancy dress at the cricket tomorrow and the next two days.

https://www.kiaoval.com/england-vs-south-africa-updated-match-day-information/

"CHANGES TO MATCH-DAY EXPERIENCE
    The remainder of this Test Series will be a very special period for everyone involved, but please be informed that there will be some significant differences from your usual match-day experience.

On Day’s 4 and 5, bars will be open once play starts and fans will be limited to purchasing two alcoholic drinks at a time throughout the day.

Fancy dress will not be permitted across the three days, and those in fancy dress will be refused entry.

We look forward to welcoming people across the next three days. Please be mindful of other people and behave with respect as concerns other people and the occasion.

It is a chance for all of us to recognise the extraordinary contribution the Queen has made to public life, and we ask that all fans behave in such a way that shows we are equal to the moment."
  • Options
    darkage said:

TimS said:

darkage said:

darkage said:

RobD said:

TimS said:

Its a good point though.
    We have.

All goes back to the discussion earlier; 'careful
    what you wish for'.
    Yes, I was just stating an opinion of the facts rather than a policy position. Clearly Ukraine needs to keep pushing as hard as it can.

If the Russian regime panics and Putin starts to fear getting too close to upper floor windows then he / they may be tempted to do something stupid.

It’ll only happen after some weeks of threat and blackmail. In which case NATO needs to be crystal clear about what such an escalation would mean: the complete annihilation of Russia (and by extension of course, most of the rest of the Northern hemisphere). That’s the point of MAD.
    I don't know about the last point. I was listening to Oliver Stone on the Lex Fridman podcast. He came out (as i recall) with the suggestion that the US could nuke the Donbass as a false flag. It got me thinking that Russia could alternatively set off a battlefield nuke and suggest it was a NATO false flag. Things could escalate that way.
    It is - of course - worth noting that such a false flag would not hold up to longer-term scrutiny, as nuclear weapons have very obvious fingerprints.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

But that is double-edged. It makes it easier for other countries to sell stuff to us, than vice versa.
  • Options
    "Tribute" upon death of Frederick, Prince of Wales in 1751, allegedly by an errant cricket ball:

Here lies poor FRED, who was alive and is dead
    Had it been his Father I had much rather,
    Had it been his Sister nobody would have miss’d Her,
    Had it been his Brother, still better than another,
    Had it been the whole Generation, so much better for the Nation,
    But since it is FRED who was alive and is dead,
    There is no more to be said!

Due to Fred's untimely demise, when George II expired, he was succeeded by his grandson, Frederick's son George III.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,136
    Andy_JS said:

The most interesting political event in the next few days is the Swedish general election on Sunday. Looks like it could be a real nailbiter. Both main blocs are on about 49% in the polls.

And Brazil coming up. Will Bolsonaro cede power if he loses? I doubt it. It's not the right wing populist way.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

PB Tories will say "polls don't matter" until one shows the Tories going forward, then they will be important again!!!!

Look, either fucking engage with individual posters, or post original and interesting thoughts of your own, or fuck off. There is NOTHING more fucking tedious than non specific sniping at "pb Tories" for what you very unimaginatively expect them to say rather than anything they actually do say.
    Touched a nerve did I matey
    Yes, I felt utterly embarrassed at spending so much of my time in an intellectual ecosystem where people like you manage to eke out a living. moron.

I am not a tory, thicko.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Next the Italians

*ducks*

Premier league Football receipts
    FX trading
    Virus gene sequencing
    Olympic cycling
    Print media
    Wildlife documentaries
    Offshore wind power
    International art market
    Numerical weather prediction (before ECMWF left Reading)

• Options
    TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Or, by way of synthesis, America is the reason English is the lingua franca. British English is the super-premium label. Rather like Prosecco is behind the surge in sparkling wind consumption but Champagne (and ESW, and Franciacorta) remains the premium brand.
    Yes, that’s closer to the truth, but still not quite the truth

Eg India

One of the reasons English as a language will predominate for the foreseeable future is India. Which is destined to become - very soon - the biggest country on the planet by population and also one of the great economic superpowers

India speaks English and plays cricket and looks to Britain - if it looks anywhere in the west - as a cultural marker (tho of course the relationship is complex and two way, and the UK is now economically the smaller partner). India really does not look to the USA, in my experience

So that is a legacy of the British Empire and has nothing to do with America, yet it is a significant reason why English language hegemony will endure

Yay!
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

And Brazil coming up. Will Bolsonaro cede power if he loses? I doubt it. It's not the right wing populist way.
    Brazil is not until October. Italy is before then later this month and Meloni still leads

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2022_Italian_general_election
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560

Britain may have many problems but the fact that power was handed over from Johnson to Truss without a shot and within three days Johnson is speaking from the backbench, with no problems or issues, is something many countries would dearly love to enjoy.

Yes I remember all the hysterical rubbish on here and elsewhere about a possible coup when Boris tried to form an alternative government after the resignations. The last outing for Boris Derangement Syndrome.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Stolen!

And the biggest and most dangerous example, early next year, will be the democratic thrashing of Erdogan.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    TimS said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Next the Italians

*ducks*

FX trading
    Virus gene sequencing
    Olympic cycling
    Print media
    Wildlife documentaries
    Offshore wind power
    International art market

The US still leads on FX trading, wildlife docs are reliant on Attenborough who is as old as the Queen was, much of our print media is foreign owned as is the Premier league
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

darkage said:

darkage said:

RobD said:

TimS said:

Its a good point though.
    We have.

But.

A fair point.

There's another factor too.

Will a Russian nuke work as planned?

Keeping nuclear weapons 'fresh' is fiendishly difficult for a number of reasons: Firstly, their electronics are very sensitive, and a little bit of a timing misfire will result in a dud; Secondly, by their very nature, the nuclear material will be throwing off a lot of alpha particles in all directions, which will be absorbed by (and weaken) the other components, structure, etc.

Have the Russians skimped on maintenance? My money would be on a big 'yes'. And if Russia were to fire a nuke, and it were to be a dud, that would be a lot worse for Russia that not having used a nuke at all.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TimS said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Next the Italians

*ducks*

FX trading
    Virus gene sequencing
    Olympic cycling
    Print media
    Wildlife documentaries
    Offshore wind power
    International art market

The US still leads on FX trading, wildlife docs are reliant on Attenborough who is as old as the Queen was, much of our print media is foreign owned as is the Premier league
    London is the centre of the global Forex market. (Albeit NY isn't far behind these days.)
  • Options
    Will be interesting (among plenty of other & more important things) to find out the future of the relatively-recent, double-barreled surname "Mountbatten-Windsor".

My guess is that KCIII keeps it. But maybe not?
  • Options
    TimS said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Next the Italians

*ducks*

FX trading
    Virus gene sequencing
    Olympic cycling
    Print media
    Wildlife documentaries
    Offshore wind power
    International art market

Greatest cricket ground in the world
    Formula One engineering
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TimS said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Next the Italians

*ducks*

FX trading
    Virus gene sequencing
    Olympic cycling
    Print media
    Wildlife documentaries
    Offshore wind power
    International art market

London FX trading volumes >3x those of New York. London is the undisputed world capital at that shit.
  • Options
    TimS said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Next the Italians

*ducks*

FX trading
    Virus gene sequencing
    Olympic cycling
    Print media
    Wildlife documentaries
    Offshore wind power
    International art market

Mushy pea production AND consumption
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Give it time
    While I hate to argue with you, in the US all the book banning has been in the other direction.
  • Options
    TimS said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Next the Italians

*ducks*

FX trading
    Virus gene sequencing
    Olympic cycling
    Print media
    Wildlife documentaries
    Offshore wind power
    International art market

London FX trading volumes >3x those of New York. London is the undisputed world capital at that shit.
    I don't think it's still 3x any more, but it's still a decent lead.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TimS said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Next the Italians

*ducks*

FX trading
    Virus gene sequencing
    Olympic cycling
    Print media
    Wildlife documentaries
    Offshore wind power
    International art market

How easily you forget BLUEBELLS

https://www.kentwildlifetrust.org.uk/blog/maureen-rainey/10-amazing-facts-about-bluebells

“Over half of the world’s wild bluebells grow in the UK”
  • Options
    TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Best value drink on the planet is Spanish cava. If you regularly drink run of the mill champagne, switch to cava, with dom perignon every 4th bottle. Same cost.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Next the Italians

*ducks*

FX trading
    Virus gene sequencing
    Olympic cycling
    Print media
    Wildlife documentaries
    Offshore wind power
    International art market

London is the centre of the global Forex market. (Albeit NY isn't far behind these days.)
    London maybe, the US overall however is still ahead of the UK once you add Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco etc to New York city
  • Options
    Oz Katerji
    @OzKaterji
    ·
    9h
    Replying to
    @OzKaterji
    *confirmation. Russian troops are being routed in the east of Ukraine at a speed that has flabbergasted even the most seasoned military veterans. This level of progress is probably not sustainable long-term, but as it stands, Russian defences are collapsing across the Oblast.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339
    edited September 2022
    TimS said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Next the Italians

*ducks*

FX trading
    Virus gene sequencing
    Olympic cycling
    Print media
    Wildlife documentaries
    Offshore wind power
    International art market

And Wildlife docs from the natural history unit are about far more than the narration.

Edit - My reply looks bonkers to anyone not unravelling what you’re quoting of course.
  • Options

Will be interesting (among plenty of other & more important things) to find out the future of the relatively-recent, double-barreled surname "Mountbatten-Windsor".

Yeah snub to his dad otherwise
  • Options
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Next the Italians

*ducks*

FX trading
    Virus gene sequencing
    Olympic cycling
    Print media
    Wildlife documentaries
    Offshore wind power
    International art market

https://www.kentwildlifetrust.org.uk/blog/maureen-rainey/10-amazing-facts-about-bluebells

OK, let us give up our world leading Royal family because we have over half the world's wild bluebells.

That really is putting the Great back into Britain
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Touched a nerve did I matey
    Yes, I felt utterly embarrassed at spending so much of my time in an intellectual ecosystem where people like you manage to eke out a living. moron.

I am not a tory, thicko.
    Love it when you flirt with me hun
  • Options
    Also, swearing

Every year, Britain remains the undisputed world origin of the best global swearwords. While F*ck retains its crown as the noblest, most useful planet-wide swearword - and a crucial British export - c*nt has gained new popularity amongst the young, along with K-pop and anime

When did you last hear a global youth say “merde” or “huhneficker”?

Exactly
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Next the Italians

*ducks*

FX trading
    Virus gene sequencing
    Olympic cycling
    Print media
    Wildlife documentaries
    Offshore wind power
    International art market

London maybe, the US overall however is still ahead of the UK once you add Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco etc to New York city
    Do you really want me to fire up Bloomberg and to dig into the exact numbers?

I can do that if you like, but I'd be staggered if the UK wasn't ahead of the US ion Forex trading when all is counted.
  • Options
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Next the Italians

*ducks*

FX trading
    Virus gene sequencing
    Olympic cycling
    Print media
    Wildlife documentaries
    Offshore wind power
    International art market

They do have blue bonnets in the USA, but to my biased mind they are not as pretty. Never seen them in person mind.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Next the Italians

*ducks*

FX trading
    Virus gene sequencing
    Olympic cycling
    Print media
    Wildlife documentaries
    Offshore wind power
    International art market

OK, let us give up our world leading Royal family because we have over half the world's wild bluebells.

That really is putting the Great back into Britain
    I stand to be corrected, but I believe we also lead the world in global production of gannets and skuas
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Next the Italians

*ducks*

Of course you’re on the wind up, but on the premise you might half believe this crap:

a) We’re in the top tier of consequential nations and at any moment will lead the world in many things; but

b) It’s not a competition, we should focus on being content, happy, and prosperous, and let the international comparisons look after themselves.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Yeah snub to his dad otherwise
    More to the point, he was close to Mountbatten himself.
  • Options

Charles is a Wittelsbach, and his mum was a Wettin. Victoria was a Welf.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Also, swearing

Every year, Britain remains the undisputed world origin of the best global swearwords. While F*ck retains its crown as the noblest, most useful planet-wide swearword - and a crucial British export - c*nt has gained new popularity amongst the young, along with K-pop and anime

When did you last hear a global youth say “merde” or “huhneficker”?

Exactly

British swearing at its finest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddwCUCJR0J4
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Next the Italians

*ducks*

Again, good but 7th not 1st
    With the world's only swinging aqueduct over it

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barton_Swing_Aqueduct
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

darkage said:

TimS said:

darkage said:

darkage said:

RobD said:

TimS said:

Its a good point though.
    We have.

All goes back to the discussion earlier; 'careful
    what you wish for'.
    Yes, I was just stating an opinion of the facts rather than a policy position. Clearly Ukraine needs to keep pushing as hard as it can.

If the Russian regime panics and Putin starts to fear getting too close to upper floor windows then he / they may be tempted to do something stupid.

It’ll only happen after some weeks of threat and blackmail. In which case NATO needs to be crystal clear about what such an escalation would mean: the complete annihilation of Russia (and by extension of course, most of the rest of the Northern hemisphere). That’s the point of MAD.
    I don't know about the last point. I was listening to Oliver Stone on the Lex Fridman podcast. He came out (as i recall) with the suggestion that the US could nuke the Donbass as a false flag. It got me thinking that Russia could alternatively set off a battlefield nuke and suggest it was a NATO false flag. Things could escalate that way.
    It is - of course - worth noting that such a false flag would not hold up to longer-term scrutiny, as nuclear weapons have very obvious fingerprints.
    Putin's other problem is if he does a battlefield nuke, horrendous as it will be, he exposes himself to the reality that it gains him absolutely nothing militarily and so he loses yet another threat card. And on the downside, for him, the Chinese will walk away I think.

• Options
    IshmaelZ said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Best value drink on the planet is Spanish cava. If you regularly drink run of the mill champagne, switch to cava, with dom perignon every 4th bottle. Same cost.
    You have clearly never drank meths.
  • Options
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Next the Italians

*ducks*

FX trading
    Virus gene sequencing
    Olympic cycling
    Print media
    Wildlife documentaries
    Offshore wind power
    International art market

Turns out Sean Thomas has become Fotherington Thomas
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Well yes I sort of agree on the value front alongside crémant de Bourgogne which if it’s from Yonne is basically champagne made across the border, and given less age for cash-flow reasons.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390
    Another bomb threat at Boston Children’s Hospital today. Doctors there have been the subject of relentless threats from the far-right over the last month.
    https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1568326997939552257
  • Options
    biggles said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Next the Italians

*ducks*

Of course you’re on the wind up, but on the premise you might half believe this crap:

a) We’re in the top tier of consequential nations and at any moment will lead the world in many things; but

b) It’s not a competition, we should focus on being content, happy, and prosperous, and let the international comparisons look after themselves.
    A Russian friend, who I used to chat with all the time but has recently ghosted me (possibly for geopolitical reasons) once bemoaned the fact that “in Russia our leaders want Russia to be great. In Britain your leaders want people to be rich”.

She was somewhat wishful thinking about Britain but there’s an important point in there.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Next the Italians

*ducks*

FX trading
    Virus gene sequencing
    Olympic cycling
    Print media
    Wildlife documentaries
    Offshore wind power
    International art market

Do you really want me to fire up Bloomberg and to dig into the exact numbers?

I can do that if you like, but I'd be staggered if the UK wasn't ahead of the US ion Forex trading when all is counted.
    Yup. From memory we are about 40% and the US 20%. Various factors not least time zone.
  • Options
    TimS said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Next the Italians

*ducks*

A Russian friend, who I used to chat with all the time but has recently ghosted me (possibly for geopolitical reasons) once bemoaned the fact that “in Russia our leaders want Russia to be great. In Britain your leaders want people to be rich”.

She was somewhat wishful thinking about Britain but there’s an important point in there.
    Indeed. If only it were completely true.
  • Options

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Next the Italians

*ducks*

FX trading
    Virus gene sequencing
    Olympic cycling
    Print media
    Wildlife documentaries
    Offshore wind power
    International art market

They do have blue bonnets in the USA, but to my biased mind they are not as pretty. Never seen them in person mind.
    "Yet we are no longer a superpower or number 1 in almost anything apart from our royal family"

We will be in wind power.

Most people have no idea how much is coming on stream in the North Sea.

It is a stunning achievement.

• Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,763
    So I hate to break it to you fellow train fans, but it looks like they're going to fly Elizabeth to London
  • Options

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Next the Italians

*ducks*

FX trading
    Virus gene sequencing
    Olympic cycling
    Print media
    Wildlife documentaries
    Offshore wind power
    International art market

"Yet we are no longer a superpower or number 1 in almost anything apart from our royal family"

We will be in wind power.

Most people have no idea how much is coming on stream in the North Sea.

It is a stunning achievement.

It’s amazing how wrong we can all be. Even ten years ago I remember thinking off shore wind was surely silly because of the loss involved in getting energy to land. I was clearly utterly, magnificently, wrong.

• Options
    CatMan said:

So I hate to break it to you fellow train fans, but it looks like they're going to fly Elizabeth to London

Just as well: they only have a week.
This discussion has been closed.